league logo

MARCLIFF Gloucestershire County Football League

sponsor logo

Match Reports

26th August 2006 - Les James Cup 1st Round

Hanham Athletic progressed to the second round of the Les James League Cup with a 5-3 win on penalties over Axa F.C. after the score on 90 minutes was level at 1-1. The first half produced several scoring chances for both teams, but neither side found the back of the net during that period. Axa took the lead on 49 minutes when Noel O’Sullivan found space on the left to chip the ball over Strawford to open the scoring. Hanham stepped up the pace after this and forced Axa on to the back foot for a long spell. They eventually drew level 77th minute when Nick Wilson headed home from a corner from the right. Hanham create several more chances but failed to convert them. Tom Blythe of Axa who was third up in the taking of penalties failed with his attempt Strawford saving his shot.

Roman Glass St George pulled of a good win 3-1 at Henbury. Simon Mansfield netted after 20 minutes for the Saints and the score stood at 1-0 at the break. Nathan Baird made it 1-1 on 55 minutes, but the saints hit back with a second for Simon Mansfield on 75 minutes and a third on 90 minutes from Simon Harris.

Patchway Town hammered four into the Ellwood net without reply. Ben Lewis opened the scoring for the home team mid-way through the first half and the score remained 1-0 at the break. Ashley brown then missed a penalty for the home side before Clayton Clarke headed a superb goal to give them a 2-0 lead. Patchway then brought on new signing Ben Purdie who netted twice in the last 10 minutes to make the final score 4-0.

Highridge United had to switch this game to D.R.G. Stapleton’s ground because their pitch is not ready to play on at the moment. D.R.G. Stapleton took the lead through Matthew Price, Dean Maggs equalised for Highridge and Mike Berry gave them a 2-1 lead just before the break. Maggs netted again in the second half to see the holders safely through to the next round.

Wotton Rovers ended Pucklechurch Sports hopes of reaching the next round with a 2-0 defeat. Goals from Adam Eldridge on 30 minutes and Leon Prince in the 40th minute sealed the Sports fate.

Taverners were the highest scorers of the day hammering six passed Hardwicke to win through to the next round 6-2. Taverners took the lead with a headed goal from Mike Thornton, but Hardwicke’s Matt Minett levelled the score. Chris Pritlove and Stuart Lawrence gave Taverners a 3-1 lead at the half time whistle. Matt Blythe then made it 4-1 with a 25 yard scorcher before Craig Harris pulled a goal back for the visitors. It was Blythes with a drive from 20 yards who netted again for the home side and Mark Harsant completed the scoring in the 90th minute.

Berkeley Town produced a much better performance after their disappointment of last week and although they failed to find the back of the net, they did not concede either. Richard Langford missed two golden one on one chances in the first half, both times Lee Mason making the save. Berkeley’s keeper had to be at his best to keep out several chances created by Totterdown P.O.B. but in the end the 0-0 score line led to penalties and Totterdown won the shoot-out 4-3.

19th August 2006 - Season Kick off

New teams on the block Berkeley Town and Hanham Athletic were set against each other for the opening game of the season with Berkeley entertaining Hanham. 130 spectators watched this match with Hanham bringing many spectators by coach. The spoils were even until the 76th minute when Hanham Athletic’s Dan Bryan opened the scoring when a low corner sped across goal and found Bryan on the far post to knock the ball home. Hanham secured the points in the 84th minute when the Berkeley keeper saved well from a good shot, but the rebound went straight to Mark Pocock to drive the ball home.

Yate Town Reserves went down 1-0 to a goal from Roman Glass St George’s Simon Mansfield a brilliant drive from the edge of the box in the 30th minute. Yate had several chances to hit back and had the ball cleared off the line by the Saints defence twice. Saints hit the post twice in the second half but neither side could find the back of the net again.

Thornbury Town went down 2-0 at home to Totterdown P.O.B. The first half produced very little in the way of goal opportunities and it remained goalless until the 70h minute when an awful defensive mistake by Thornbury let in Craig Timbrell to score for the visitors. Shane Hobbs came on as a late substitute for Totterdown found the back of the Thornbury net in the 84th minute with his very first kick of the ball. Thornbury felt there was a suspicion of offside about the second goal.

Patchway Town’s Marlon Francis scored the only goal of the game in the 44th minute from a cross from Keith Williams to give them a flying start to the season against a very good and competitive Highridge United side.

Taverners playing for the first time on their brand new ground, gained their first three points of the season with a slender 1-0 win over visitors Sea Mills Park. In a game that was evenly balanced Taverners stole the points when Jamie Bish converted a 75th minute penalty.

D.R.G. Stapleton suffered a double blow when they went down 3-1 at home to Henbury and had Sean Cozens sent off in the 80th minute after a penalty had been awarded against his team. Henbury took a 2-0 lead through Nathan Baird and Eddie Howells before Danny De-Gay pulled the score back to 2-1 just before the break. The penalty in the 80th minute converted by Lee Barnes secured the 3 points for the visitors.

Ellwood ran out comfortable 3-1 winners against a below par Pucklechurch Sports side. Byron Ranford gave Ellwood the lead in the 10th minute and Gary Wildin netted a brace on 25 minutes and 35 minutes to give the home side a 3-0 lead. Sports went down to ten men in the second half when they had a player sent-off, but managed a consolation goal in the 85th minute through Ian Savage.

Wotton Rovers got their season under way with a 3-1 home defeat against visitors Axa. Jon Laing gave the home side the lead on 16 minutes, but conceded an own goal when Matt Williford put the ball past his own keeper to level the score. Steve Rice gave Axa the lead in the 70th minute and Tom Blyth converted a 90th minute penalty for the visitors to take the points. Hardwicke got off to a good start with a good 2-0 victory over local rivals Kings Stanley. Craig Harris gave the home side the lead midway through the first half and Eddie Rimmer made it safe in the second half.