league logo

MARCLIFF Gloucestershire County Football League

sponsor logo

Match Reports

28th October 2006 - Highridge win battle of top two

Roman Glass St George suffered their first defeat of the season at home to close rivals Highridge United. This fixture had been reversed due to Highridge being unable to play at home. The 2-1 result in favour of Highridge United means they take over at the top of the table from their hosts. United took a 2-0 lead in the first half with goals from Dean Maggs on 20 minutes and Jon Berry in the 36th minute. The second half turned into a much tighter affair after Luke Westwood netted for the Saints in the 60th minute, with Highridge managing to maintain there slender lead until the end.

Third place Patchway Town also came unstuck at Sea Mills Park. Town took the lead through Adam Searle on 20 minutes, but the millers hit back with an equalising goal from James Wood on 36 minutes. A second strike from James Wood in the 60th minute gave the Millers a well deserved win.

Henbury went behind to Ellwood when Robin Wardlaw put through his own goal after 30 minutes, but Henbury were level minutes later when Lee Barnes scored a stunning goal from a 25 yard free kick. Henbury had to work hard for the winner which came in the 70th minute when Wright and Baird set up Andy Finch to fire home.

Wotton Rovers continue their dismal run with another 4-1 home defeat at the hands of Thornbury Town. Andy Brookbanks opened the scoring for Town in the 27th minute from the penalty spot, then made it 2-0 after 39 minutes. Wotton’s Gary Toal made it 2-1 in the 50th minute, but thornbuy struck again in the 75th minute through Dean Kingman and Mark Greenland rounded the scoring off for town 5 minutes from the end.

Pucklechurch Sports pulled of a shock 1-0 win at Kings Stanley. The winning goal came in the 80th minute when Scott Young netted for the visitors. A spokesman for Stanley said they hit the post and the crossbar on several occasions but would not have scored if they had played for the rest of the day.

Taverners ran out 3-0 winners at home to Hardwicke. Mark Harsant gave the home side the lead with a headed goal after 20 minutes but failed to score again in the first half. Hardwicke had chances in the second period, but it was Harsant who increased Taverners lead on 59 minutes from the penalty spot after a handball appeal was upheld by the referee. The best strike of the game came in the 89th minute when Matt Blythe curled the ball into the roof of the net from a 25 yard free kick.

Six goals shared between D.R.G. Stapleton and Axa in a very exciting 3-3 draw. Axa took the lead after 10 minutes through Justin Moore, but the home side hit back 2 minutes later with a Shaun Couzens goal. Justin Moore restored he lead for Axa before Andy Lear levelled again for the home side. Although D.R.G. Stapleton had much the better of the second half Axa’s Tom Blythe gave them a 3-2 lead in the 75th minute only for D.R.G. to draw level again through Matt Price with ten minutes left. Paul Davis should have sewn it up for the home side in the last minute, but shot wide of the goal with a one on one situation.

Hanham Athletic continued their good home form with a 2-1 win over Yate Town Reserves. Danny Hunt gave Hanham the lead in the first half, but Yate hit back to level the score through Paul Metheringham. The home side clinched all the points when Simon Bryant netted in the 85th minute.

Berkeley Town snatched a point with a 2-2 draw at home to Totterdown P.O.B. James Firth gave Berkeley the lead in the 15th minute, but Shaun Curtis levelled for Totterdown on 26 minutes heading home from a corner. Shane Hobbs gave the visitors the lead with a goal in the 68th minute only to see Matt Thomas put through his own goal a couple of minutes later to give Berkeley a share of the points.

21st October 2006 - Patchway and Yate share points

Only one game played in the County league this Saturday, Yate Town Res were at home to Patchway Town, in an evenly balanced game in which both teams creating and missed chances in the first half. Meatherington had a great opportunity to put the home side in front after 8 minutes but pulled his shot well wide of the target. Then Hughes found himself clear with a one on one situation, but Alford’s foot saved the day for Patchway. Then Patchway should have taken the lead when Palmer broke through the home defence only to see Winkler push his shot out for a corner. In the 30th minute William ran clear of the Yate defence but again failed to get the ball past Winkler. At the other end Cattle had Alford diving to stop his shot going in and a few minutes later the same player tested Alford again and the keeper once again kept the ball out of the net. After 45 minutes both teams left the field failing to find the back of the net but it could easily been much different. At the start of the second half the heaven’s opened up and for a full 10 minutes the rain hammered down making it very slippery for the players. Both team made substitutions during the second half, but it was Yate’s Paul Lucas who nearly opened the scoring with a tremendous hot that was blocked by Webb. We had to wait until the 85th minute for the opening goal which was turned in by Keith William of Patchway from a Marlon Francis corner. But within the minute Yate were level when Windle bundled the ball home from a cross by Rees. A very good game and a point each was a fair result.

Match reports - GFA Challenge Trophy Cup Round 1

The Gloucestershire County League had 14 of the 18 teams in action in the GFA Challenge Trophy today.

Winterbourne United from Hellenic League West entertained Hardwicke with James Maidstone put the home side into a first half lead with a 31st minute goal. They had the chance to increase their lead 2 min later but wasted a penalty. Adam Hacker equalised for the visitors after 38 minutes when coolly rounding the keeper before slotting home. The rest of the game was very even but the visitors had 2 chances in the last 5 minutes to take the tie. Firstly Eddie Rimmer failed to convert an open goal before Adam Hacker smashed the crossbar with almost the last kick of the game. In extra time Danny Cook put Winterbourne into the lead before Scott Cameron made the game safe after the interval. The home side’s victory was completed when Adam Chalkley put through his own goal in the dying minutes.

Kings Stanley pulled of a great 2-1 win at home to Toolstation Premier side Cadbury Heath. Paul Day gave Stanley the lead in the 35th minute and Mitch Grenville-Williams made it 2-0 in the 55th minute. Cadbury Heath hit back in the 70th minute when Ryan Nichols netted and then exerted pressure on the Stanley defence for the equaliser, but the home side held out to record an excellent victory.

Hanham Athletic were drawn home to Totterdown P.O.B. both teams playing their football in the Glos County League. Hanham opened the scoring in the 25th minute when Justin Cartledge netted, but Totterdown hit back in the 60th minute through Shane Hobbs. With no further score in normal time it took until the last few minutes of extra time before Simon Bryant got the all important winner to take Hanham into the next round.

Henbury secured their place in the 2nd round with a 3-2 win over Shirehampton. Lee Barnes gave Henbury the lead after 14 minutes with Eddie Howells making it 2-0 on 32 minutes. Shirehampton hit back through Danny McCool in the 55th minute but Matt Baird restored Henbury’s two goal lead 2 minutes later. Richard Hewitt made it 3-2 on 60 minutes to make it a tight finish to the end.

Pucklechurch Sports were drawn at home to last years champions of the County League Lydney Town, but went a goal down after 2 minutes when Peter Macklin netted for the visitors. Five minutes before the break Ian Savage equalised for the home side from a free-kick. But a hat-trick in 14 minutes from Lydney’s Mark Crabbe early in the second half knocked the stuffing out of Sports. They did manage a second goal on 77 minutes through Ben Gardiner, but Lydney ran out comfortable winners.

Axa entertained Almondsbury F.C. from the Toolstation Division I and should have won this game in normal time with the chances that they created in the second-half, instead they went down 4-2 after extra time. The opening 15 minutes belonged to Almondsbury who took a 2-0 lead in the first 15 minutes with both goals being netted by Danny Cockram. But Axa steadily got into the game and brought the score to 2-1 at the break when Tom Blythe netted from the penalty spot on 40 minutes. Cyril L’Hermitte brought the score level on 80 minutes and Axa were well on top by then but failed to take their chances. The game went into extra time, with Almondsbury getting two late goals in the second period of extra time through Russell Church and John Rugman.

Ellwood were no match at home to Bristol Manor Farm going down 5-1. Mark Cherry got the visitors of to a good start and Tony Cook made it 2-0. Cherry then popped up with his second before Dwaine Plummer made it 4-0. Mark Lee pulled a goal back for the home side before Troy Simpson netted the final goal for Farm.

Thornbury Town produced a magnificent performance to pull of a shock 2-1 home win over Toolstation Division I Longwell Green Sport. It was Sports who took the lead after 2 minutes, Matt Davis getting on the score sheet. Thornbury persevered and a superb individual run and skill from Andy Brookbanks brought the scores level after 35 minutes. Brookbanks won the game for Town in the 50th minute with his second of the game.

Wotton Rovers failed to find the back of the net when they were soundly beaten 3-0 by visitors Highridge United. A Mike Berry double in the 11th minute and the 83rd minute, with an own goal by Simon Graham after 60 minutes saw United safely through to the next round.

D.R.G. Stapleton were beaten 2-0 at home by Roman Glass St George with two goal from Nathan Churchill the first on 25 minutes and the second on 80 minutes to see the Saints into the second round.

14th October 2006 - Totterdown sink Sea Mills

A terrific result for Totterdown P.O.B. who made it four wins out of four with this resounding 8-0 win over Sea Mills Park. Totterdown were 3–0 up within the first ten minutes, Shane Hobbs scoring the first of his four goals in the 6th minute when he was put clear to slide the ball into the net. The second on 9 minutes came when Hobbs dispossessed Prichard on the left cut into the box drifted past the keeper and ran the ball into the net. A minute later Shaun Curtis ran through the Millers defence and neatly lobbed the ball over the keeper. Sea Mills played their part in this game and only two good saves from Totterdown’s keeper Lee Mason prevented the Millers pulling a couple of goals back. Totterdown were in terrific form and made it 4-0 from a corner in the 24th minute when Curtis headed on for centre-back Matt Thomas to head home. Tom Kilbane made it 5-0 in time added on in the first half with a shot that the Millers keeper tried to scoop out but the assistant referee gave the goal.

In the second half the first chance to score fell to Sea Mills but again Mason stuck out a leg and the ball was deflected and cleared. Shane Hobbs who had always looked dangerous when on the ball, picked up the ball 30 yards out and ran at the defence and cracked home number six on 69 minutes. Three minutes later Hobbs again took on the Millers defence and slipped in between two defenders to run the ball into the net. The best goal of the game came in the 79th minute from Tom Kilbane, the back of the net bulging with a superb 25 yard drive. Totterdown still pushed forward and Tom Rimmer who had come on as a substitute struck the crossbar and had a tremendous shot well saved by the Millers keeper.

Henbury brought Berkeley Town back down to earth after their good away win last week with a 6-1 drubbing. Henbury took the lead in the 4th minute when Nathan Baird opened the scoring from the penalty spot. Ashley Lock made 2-0 in the 9th minute, but there was no further score at the break. Nathan Baird got his second on 56 minutes and player manager Matt Baird made it 4-0 on 59 minutes. Nathan Baird completed his Hat-trick in the 66th minute to make it 5-0 before Tim Beames found the back of the net for Berkeley, but Ian Milne scored in the 88th minute to complete a very good result for the home side.

Patchway Town defeated Taverners 1-0 at home but had to wait until the 75th minute before Adam Searle broke the deadlock. The same player having missed a penalty in the 65th minute when the Taverners keeper brought of a great save.

Axa went down 3-2 at home to high riders Highridge United. The home side took the lead when Michael Branch drove the ball home from the edge of the box. Highridge levelled the scorers through Mike Berry on 40 minutes, but Andy Sledge restored the lead for Axa in the 60th minute. Highridge levelled again in the 80th minute Mike Berry getting his second, and then they went on to grab all three points when Jon Berry netted a few minutes from the end.

Roman Glass St George are still the league leaders after a 3-1 home win over Kings Stanley. Luke Westwood gave the Saints the lead on 20 minutes, but Lee Pritchard levelled on 25 minutes. Nathan Churchill restored the lead for the home side in the 35th minute and Simon Harris made it 3-1 in the 70th minute. Stanley then missed a penalty when Tristan Ferguson brought of a brilliant save to deny Pritchard his second goal.

Thornbury Town slipped to yet another home defeat this week going down 2-1 to fellow strugglers Ellwood. Richard Sage scored for the home side, while Gary Wildin and Kerry Hale netted for Ellwood.

A Simon Bryant goal gave Hanham Athletic a 1-0 win at home to bottom club Wotton Rovers.

Hardwicke continued to slip down the table with their third consecutive defeat this time at the hands of D.R.G. Stapleton. Matt Price gave D.R.G. Stapleton the lead in the 27th minute before Adam Hacker levelled the scores two minutes before the break. In the second half two goals fro Dave Healy in the 67th and 71st minute gave the visitors a two goal cushion before Justin Powell’s 35 yard strike in the 78th minute led to a very tense final 10 minutes.

7th October 2006 - Harris hits hat trick

A Simon Harris hat-trick keeps Roman Glass St George in top spot with a 4-2 win over basement club Wotton Rovers. Rovers took the lead in the 22nd minute when Gary Toal scored from the penalty spot. Saints hit back through Simon Harris on 37 minutes to bring the scores level at the break. Wotton who played well for a bottom of the table team took the lead again on 60 minutes when Pete Thomas fired home, but Saints hit back when Simon Harris grabbed his second mid-way through the second-half and then took the lead through Jon White in the 80th minute. Simon Harris wrapped the points up for Saints with his third in the 88th minute.

For the fifth week in a row Pucklechurch Sports failed to find the back of the net when they were soundly beaten 4-0 at home by Highridge United. Sports were trailing just 1-0 at the break after putting through their on goal. Highridge continued their good form of late and netted a further three times in the second half, through Jon Berry, Mike Berry and Chris Honor.

Thornbury Town’s performance did not warrant another defeat but they fell behind to a Jermaine Wright strike after 40 minutes. Town did manage to get on level terms when Nathan Irwin levelled in the 85th minute, but Wright struck again on 88 minutes to give Henbury the three points.

In a game where the wind played a big part Axa lost out to Taverners from a superb 35 yard strike by Matt Blythe in the 75th minute.

Hardwicke slipped up for the second week running this time going down 4-2 at home to Berkeley Town. Richard Langford gave Berkeley the lead in the 20th minute with Jon Leccicorvi levelling the score in the 50th minute. Berkeley restored the lead in the 60th minute when James Firth got the first of his two goals. Then Tim Beames made it 3-1 to Town before Eddie Rimmer scored Hardwicke’a second. Firth popped up with his second on 82nd minute to give the visitors a welcomed three points.

Hanham Athletic and Sea Mills Park failed to break each others defence down in 90 minutes and the game ended 0-0.

Yate Town Reserves were the visitors at Ellwood and scored four goals without reply to take the three points. Following on from their goal-scoring spree from last week they put another four goals in the net this week. On the score sheet this week were Tim Baker, Lee Williams, Paul Lucas and Adam Sims.

Since losing to Yate Reserves a month ago Totterdown P.O.B. have strung together a three match winning spell, this week scoring three more goals in a 3-1 win over D.R.G. Stapleton. Del Cottle, Shaun Curtis and Tom Kilblane were on target for the home side and Ray Johnson scoring for the visitors.

Patchway Town went a goal down at home to Kings Stanley when Paul Day gave them the lead in the 32nd minute, but Patchway levelled through Jason Franklin on 40 minutes. The second period failed to inspire and the game finished all square at 1-1.