league logo

MARCLIFF Gloucestershire County Football League

sponsor logo

Match Reports

25th November 2006 - AXA rain goals to survive the washout

Only one game took place this Saturday due to the terrible wet conditions. The rest being postponed due to waterlogged pitches

The only game of the day in the County League produced no fewer than eleven goals. Axa opened the scoring after just 5 minutes when Tom Blyth's free kick was fumbled by Sports keeper Mark Webber-Andrews and Noel O'Sullivan drove the ball into the corner of the net. Pucklechurch had a free kick just outside the box which flew low and just wide of the goal. On 20 minutes Michael Branch fired low into the corner of the net to give Axa 2-0 lead. Sports missed a golden opportunity to score when Gardner missed the goal from 4 yards out. Nessling brought of a brilliant save to deny Wiltshire's shot from the edge of the box from going in. But it was the home side who went further ahead after 21 minutes when Andy Sledge's through ball set up O'Sullivan to score his second. In the 36 minute Branch headed home a Tom Blyth free kick to give Axa a 4-0 lead. Seven minutes into the second half Pucklechurch pulled a goal back when Ben Gardner headed over Nessling after his first attempt had struck the crossbar. Axa always looked dangerous moving forward and Tom Blyth fired home number 5 in the 65th minute. A few minutes later Blyth spotted the Pucklechurch keeper out of position and hammered the ball into the net from the edge of the box. Sports never gave up and were rewarded in the 70th minute when Gardner netted his second. Axa still looked hungry for more goals and Justin Moore obliged in the 78th minute curling a left foot drive in off the post. Two minutes later Matt Curtis put Andy Sledge clear to round the keeper and slide the ball into the net. In the very last minute of the game, Steve Worrell who had come on as a substitute for Pucklechurch was fouled on the edge of the six yard box by keeper Nessling and after awarding a penalty the referee sent the keeper off for denying a goal-scoring opportunity. Shane Parker took over in goal for Axa and his first job was picking the ball out of the back of the net after Jon Wiltshire's spot kick flew past him.

Battling for the ball. AXA Vs Pucklechurch
Wiltshire and O'Sullivan compete for the ball.
Image courtesy Gary Bray/UNiCOM

Heading home. AXA Vs Pucklechurch
Ben Gardiner heads past Nessling
Image courtesy Gary Bray/UNiCOM

Goalmouth action. AXA Vs Pucklechurch
Webbber-Andrews under pressure in the Pucklechurch Goal
Image courtesy Gary Bray/UNiCOM

18th November 2006 - Henbury climb table

Only four games took place this weekend due to the heavy rain we experienced during the night and again on Saturday morning.

Lost to the weather were D.R.G. Stapleton v Hardwicke and Sea Mills Park v Berkeley Town in the Premier League, with Roman Glass St George v Taverners and Wotton Rovers v Yate Town Reserves going in the Les James Cup Quarter finals.

Axa eased their possible relegation worries with a 5-0 home win over Ellwood. The final result was not a true reflection of the game as a whole as Ellwood created good chances of their own but due to some good goalkeeping from Axa's Lee Nessling and some poor finishing by the Ellwood forwards the home teams kept their first clean sheet since the 2nd of September. Ellwood were the first to show and could have taken the lead in the 10th minute but for a fine save from Nessling pushing the ball away for a corner from a point blank header from Julian Addis. Addis got the ball in the net after 17 minutes only to see it ruled offside. The home side opened the scoring on 20 minutes when Mike Branch gave Andy Sledge the chance to beat Dane Adams with a shot from just inside the 18 yard box. A few minutes later Branch had a shot cleared off the line by an Ellwood defender. O'Sullivan should have increased the score when right through on goal only to have the ball pushed of his foot at the last moment. Ellwood almost drew level just before the break with a tremendous shot from Luke Warren but Nessling again brought off a brilliant save and the ball was eventually cleared up field. At the start of the second half we saw the first booking of the game when Turner was cautioned for a late tackle, but it was Ellwood who should have levelled the score, but Gary Wildin pulled his shot over the bar. Minutes later Addis headed wide from very close range, with nothing going right for the visitors. The game turned in the 62nd minute when O'Sullivan was brought down in the Ellwood box for a penalty to Axa. Tom Blyth's shot was brilliantly saved by Adams who immediately brought of another save from the ensuing shot, but the ball spun into the air across goal and Justin Moore bundled the ball into the net. Then three goals for the home side in the space of 5 minutes a Tom Blyth corner from the left was headed home by Justin Moore, then the best goal of the game, a free kick was squared to O'Sullivan who's swerving shot from 35 yards struck the inside of the far post and nestled in the back of the net. Just 2 minutes later a ball over the Ellwood defence found Branch with a clear run on goal to hammer the ball past the helpless Adams. Ellwood never gave up and should have scored a consolation goal right at the end, but again Addis headed wide when he really should have scored.

The other league match played was Pucklechurch Sports at home to Henbury. The home side took the lead after 5 minutes when Andy Granger scored from a free kick, but Henbury were only behind for 4 minutes when Eddie Howells was put clear to equalise. Henbury went into the lead in the 13th minute when Ian Milne netted. After the goal spree of the first 13 minutes both teams failed to find the back of the net again, but this win moves Henbury level on points with leaders Highridge United who have a superior goal difference and were playing in the cup today.

Match report - Les James cup Quarter finals

The two games in the Les James League Cup saw victories for Hanham Athletic and Patchway Town.

Hanham Athletic who had been drawn at home to last years winners Highridge United new this would be a very tough game to win after meeting them a few weeks ago in the league, the result then was 2-2. The only goal of the game came in the 60th minute when Richard Sperring netted for Hanham to take them into the Semi-final in their first season in the league.

Totterdown P.O.B. must have felt pretty confident before the start of their match with Patchway Town after defeating league leaders Highridge United 4-1 in a floodlight game last Wednesday, but it was case of after the Lord Mayors Show. Totterdown found themselves a goal down after 6 minutes when Mark Palmer's shot took a slight deflection to beat Mason in the home goal. The home side hit back before the break to equalise when Shane Hobbs was brought down in the box by Clayton Clarke and Hobbs hauled himself up to fire the spot kick passed Alford. Three goals in the space of 15 minutes in the second half from Patchway sealed them a place in the semi-final. Keith William made it 2-1 on 55 minutes, Clayton Clarke increased the score in the 60th minute and 10 minutes later Luke Clennell made it 4-1 to give Town a comfortable win.

11th November 2006 - Patchway move to second

Patchway Town came from behind to win 3-1 at Roman Glass St George and moved into second spot in the table. The Saints took the lead on 20 minutes when Towns keeper Martin Alford fumbled a cross into the box and Simon Mansfield was there to give Saints the lead. It took Patchway until the 37th minute to get on level terms after Keith Williams shot was only partially saved by the home keeper Ashley Brown made no mistake with his shot. Town took the lead in the 60th minute when Ben Purdie's header found Keith William who drifted past two defenders before driving the ball into the net. The home side hit back and Towns keeper Martin Alford brought of a double save to deny an equalising goal, first he touched the ball onto the bar and from the redound dive to push the ball out for a corner. Patchway made it 3-1 with a minute to go, Jason Franklin hit a long ball forward when clearing from a corner and Ben Purdie beat two defenders before slotting the ball home. After such a good start to the season the Saints have slipped away in the last three games failing to gain a point in any if them.

Ellwood improved their position with a 3-2 win over visitors Hardwicke getting the winning goal in the very last minute of the game. Ellwood took the lead through Jamie Addis but by half time found them-selves trailing 2-1 after Rob Hine and an Eddie Rimmer penalty gave Hardwicke a surprise lead. Ellwood struck through Mark Lee to bring the score level and Gary Wildin grabbed all three points in the 90th minute for the home side.

Sea Mills Park gained a valuable point against high riding Henbury with a 2-2 draw. On the score sheet for the Millers were James Wood and Richard Nelmes with Ian Milne and Gary Clark replying for Henbury.

Berkeley Town went down 3-0 at home to Yate Town Reserves. Goalless at the halftime whistle Berkeley were forced to make a change to their keeper at the break after he had soldiered on after suffering a bad injury early in the game. Yate took the lead in the 55th minute through Martin Boyle with Mark Hughes making it 2-0 in the 76th minute, then with 3 minutes to go Yate struck again through Chris Gent. Berkley suffered another serious injury 10 minutes from the end of the game when Matthew Billett was carried off.

King Stanley's Aiden Mercer grabbed the only hat-trick of the day when they hammered 5 goals past the Wotton Rovers defence without reply. Mercer goals came in the 35th, 55th, minute and he topped it off with an 87th minute penalty. Stanley's two other goals were scored by Lee Pritchard on 70 minutes and Martin McDermott in the 90th minute.

Axa gained a valuable point against high riding Hanham Athletic in a 1-1 draw. Simon Bryant gave the visitors the lead in the 75th minute with a shot that wet across the keeper and sped into the Axa net, but Noel O'Sullivan levelled the score in the 87th minute from a Fred Hopkins cross.

Taverners continue to climb steadily up the table with a 1-0 win at home to Thornbury Town. No goals in the first 45 minutes but Taverners squandered 4 or 5 good chances. Thornbury always looked dangerous on the counter attack and it look as though they were going to gain a point until the very last minute of the game when Taverners Mark Harsant set up Matt Blyth to fire home to Thornbury's dismay.

D.R.G. Stapleton bounced back from their 4-0 defeat last week to gain a well deserved three points with a 1-0 win at home to Pucklechurch Sports. In a game that the home side dominated the only goal of the game came in the 65th minute after Ross Watson's header that found Sean Cozens unmarked and he made no mistake with his shot.

4th November 2006 - Henbury break Glass

Henbury move into second place in the table with a very convincing 5-1 win at home to Roman Glass St George. Adam Rosser opened the scoring for Henbury in the 31st minute but four goals in the second half a brace each from Jermaine Wright in the 57th minute and 62nd minute and Nathan Baird in the 80th and 90th minute gave the home side the three points, Chris Astley getting a consolation goal for the Saints.

Highridge United increase their lead at the top of the table with a resounding 6-0 win away at Hardwicke. On Target for United were Tom Windows, Jon Berry, Jay Lucas, Ashley Curry (2) and Mike Jenkins.

Berkeley Town improved their position with a 2-1 win over lowly Thornbury Town. Berkeley's James Firth hit a double in the 58th and 62nd minute with Thornbury's Tim O'Loughlin replying in the 87th minute.

Puckluchurch Sports could not repeat their performance of last week and slipped to 1-0 home defeat at the hands of Taverners. The only goal of the game came in the 28th minute when Matt Blythe scored from a free-kick.

Bottom club Wotton Rovers were defeated 4-1 at home to Ellwood, although going into the lead in the 25th minute through Pete Thomas and going into the break leading 1-0 they crumbled in the second half. Matthew Foxwell levelled the score in the 57th minute for Ellwood who then took the lead when Mark Lee netted in the 65th minute. Two goals in the 89th and 90th minutes from Jamie Addis and Byron Ranford gave the visitors a very respectable score-line.

In a very close and competitive game Hanham Athletic took the points with a 1-0 win over visitors Totterdown P.O.B. The only goal of the game being scored by Justin Bryant.

Yate Town Reserves fielding a very strong side hammered five past the Sea Mills Park defence without reply. Lee Bridson opened the scoring after 30 minutes with a 25 yard free kick and it took the home side until the 50th minute when David Seal headed home at the near post. Jack Smyth set up Ollie Clarke for the third in the 61st minute and a Lee Jeffries header from a corner made it 4-0. Jack Smyth beat three defenders and hammered the ball into the net for number five.

Axa entertained King Stanley in a fixture that was reversed due to the County Cup Competition. Adam Mercer gave Stanley the lead after minutes then had to wait until the 85th minute before Mike Beckingham sealed the points.

Patchway Town moved into third place with 4-0 convincing win over D.R.G. Stapleton. Adam Searle gave Town the lead on 10 minutes and Ben Purdie set up Keith William for the second 8 minutes later. In a game that Town dominated they took a 3-0 lead when Jason Franklin scored from the penalty spot after the Assistant Referee spotted a handball. Ashley Brown netted the fourth with 15 minutes to go.


The website has been relaunched today, with a new look. The major changes other than the look are an improved downloads section which now includes transfer forms for those clubs that require them, and better maps available from the clubs pages showing their location. The maps are available by clicking on the ground address.

A news section has also been added which will include news items and the odd match report from the leagues roving reporter.

Also a reminder that the fixtures link takes you to our page on the FA Full-time site which has a full results, fixtures and statistics service for the league.

1st November 2006 - GFA Trophy Round one - Yate Town Reserves 2 Hallen 1

In a fairly even first half where both teams missed chances Richard Griffiths was guilty of failing to score for Hallen on a couple of occasions and Yate?s Martyn Boyle hit the bar and both Marc Hughes and Ollie Clarke were guilty of missing chances, but the game remained goaless at the break. Hallen took the lead in the 59th minute from a corner that the Yate defence failed to clear and Tony Green had the simple task of driving the ball into the net from close range. Yate were awarded a penalty for a foul on 75 minutes but Scannell saved David Seals spot kick. Yate were then given a free kick just outside the box on the right and Seals free-kick was finished off by Paul Metheringham to bring the scores level. A second penalty awarded to Yate in time added on was almost certainly the end of the road for Hallen, but Scannell saved the spot kick this time taken by Brad Thomas onlt to see the rebound rifled home by David Seal to put Yate into the next round away to Almondsbury F.C.