league logo

MARCLIFF Gloucestershire County Football League

sponsor logo

Match Reports

28th April 2007 - Its tight at the top

Roman Glass St George are the new leaders after a 2-1 win at Sea Mills Park. 0-0 at the break but the Saints could well have netted a couple of goals after several good opportunities were squandered by Nathan Churchill. Saints opened the scoring in the 59th minute when Ian Power was put clear by Adam Grinter and his cross was neatly put away by Churchill. Sea Mills were level within a minute when Denny Chapman drilled the ball past Ferguson from the edge of the box. Williams replaced Grinter in the 71st minute and was instrumental in the winning goal. A cross from the left was half cleared Williams volleyed the ball back into the box and Churchill turned the ball into the Millers net with a neat header.

Henbury trailed twice at Totterdown P.O.B. but ended up winning 4-2. Dale Cottle put Totterdown one up with a cracking 25 yard drive only for Nathan Baird to level before the break. Craig Timbrell restored Totterdown’s lead, but Henbury hit back through Lee Barnes. They took the lead for the first time from a Nathan Baird penalty and then player manager Matt Baird headed the fourth and final goal.

Patchway Town are in second spot in the table losing out to the leaders on goal difference after their 3-0 win over Forest of Dean side Ellwood. Aaron Anderson put the visitors ahead a minute before the break and Keith Williams netted a second on 49 minutes. John Shorland grabbed the third on 75 minutes.

Simon Bryant gave Hanham Athletic the lead over visitors Thornbury Town on 20 minutes with a superb 20 yard volley but neither team were able to find the back of the net for the remainder of the game.

Hardwicke ran out 2-1 winners over Wotton Rovers with a goal from Rich James and a second from Luke Kavanagh in the first half with Wotton fighting their way back into the game with a goal from Jon Lang in the second half. They should have levelled but a Gary Cripps penalty was well saved by Dave Evans. Wotton were unlucky when they also had a goal disallowed.

Kings Stanley were 2-0 winners at home to D.R.G. Stapleton. Sam Prior gave Stanley the lead from the penalty spot after 5 minutes but had to wait until the 70th minute for the second when Mike Buckingham curled a brilliant free kick around the wall into the corner of the net.

Taverners came from behind to win 2-1 at home to Yate Town Res. Marc Hughes gave the visitors the lead a minute before the break but Kris Pritlove levelled on 50 minutes. Both keepers were kept busy and both brought off some great saves before Matt Blythe’s free kick finally beat Winkler to give Taverners the points

Pucklechurch Sports will finish the season at the bottom of the table after going down 3-1 at Berkeley Town. Tom Waldron gave the home side the lead on 33 minutes and doubled his tally on 68 minutes. Pete Lavis netted the third for Berkeley on 80 minutes and Jon Wiltshire’s goal in the 86th minute was a consolation for the visitor’s.

A minutes silence was held at all the Gloucestershire County League games held today in memory of Malcolm Davies a very well respected member of the GFA who served as a GFA representative on the Gloucestershire County League for many years. A gentleman who will be sadly missed by all.

25th April 2007 - Roman Glass shatter Taverners title hopes

Three teams all share top spot after Highridge United was held to a 1-1 draw at Totterdown P.O.B. United had taken the lead in the 44th minute with a goal from Bradley Phillips, but Totterdown spoiled the evening for United with a goal from Brian Blackmore in the 90th minute.

A 4-0 win at home to challengers Taverners also saw Roman Glass St George join in the race for the championship. Ian Power opened the scoring as early as the third minute with Adam Grinter adding a second fifteen minutes later. A second from Power on 22 minutes meant that the saints were cruising and went into the break 3-0 up. Both Luke Westwood and Nathan Churchill struck the crossbar with efforts in the second half, but the final strike came from Joe Garland in the 77th minute.

Hardwicke ended Ellwood’s five match winning run when Rob Hine netted from a corner after 25 minutes and a 70th minute goal from Justin Powell sealed the victory.

24th April 2007 - Henbury stay in title race

Henbury moved level on points with Highridge United after their 3-0 home win over Kings Stanley. On target for the home side were Nathan Baird (2) and Eddie Howells.

D.R.G. Stapelton who have only picked up one point in their last ten outings fell victim to a second half goal on 65 minutes when Sea Mills Park Jack Barnes netted from the penalty spot.

21st April 2007 - Patchway take top spot.

Patchway Town sit on the top of the table after an excellent 2-1 win at second place Henbury. All three goals coming in the first 45 minutes. Patchway went ahead on 15 minutes through Keith William with Henbury’s Gary Clark levelling on the half hour. Patchway grabbed the winner when Mark Palmer netted after 40 minutes.

Taverners were held until the 87th minute by Wotton Rovers but Dave Legg’s late goal sank the visitors.

Yate Town Reserves 4-1 victory at Kings Stanley kept their recent good form going. Although Stanley took the lead after 40 minutes through Matt Davis Lee Blackwell equalised right on the stroke of half time. Paul Lucas’s goal on the hour gave Yate the lead and Richard Totterdell stretched the score five minutes later from the penalty spot. Ollie Clark rounded it off in the 75th minute.

Hanham Athletic struck five times in their 5-1 defeat of bottom club Pucklechurch Sports. On target for Hanham were Richard Sperring, Joe Allen, Nick Wilson, Mark Pocock and Simon Warren with Andy Grainger replying for Sports.

Totterdown P.O.B. also had a good day with an excellent 4-1 win at home to Hardwicke. Jamie Prosser gave the home side the lead on 5 minutes but Paul Carter levelled from the penalty spot. Craig Timbrell restored the lead for Totterdown before the break. In the second half further goals from matt Thomas and a second for Timbrell completed the scoring.

Axa ran out 2-1 winners at home to Sea Mills Park. No goals in the first 45 minutes but Lee Moore opened for Axa on 61 minutes and Brian Casey made it 2-0 on 75 minutes. Millers Matt Stringer netted in the 87 minute.

Roman Glass St George slipped into third spot in the table with a 2-0 victory at Thornbury Town. Both goals came in the first 20 minutes of the game with Ian Power opening on 15 minutes and Nathan Churchill getting the second on 20 minutes.

Ellwood continued their recent good form with their fifth win on the trot this time gaining a 2-0 victory at Berkeley Town. Matt Foxwell netted a brace, the first after 42 minutes and his second on 77 minutes.

Highridge United v D.R.G. Stapleton was postponed due to the pitch being unfit. Apparently large cracks had appeared in the Lakemead Grove pitch and it was deemed unsafe to play.

18th April 2007 - Ellwood end Sea Mills good run.

Ellwood stopped the recent good run of form that Sea Mills Park had been experiencing with a very good 3-0 win at home. Matt Foxwell gave the home side the lead on 20 minutes and scored a second in the 55th minute. Byron Ranford’s third for Ellwood came in the 70th minute that brought the visitors run to an end.

Top of the table Highridge United were held to a 1-1 draw at the Creek by basement club Pucklechurch Sports. Ashley Curry gave Highridge the lead midway through the first half, but Jordan Hume levelled for Sports in the second half.

Yate Town Res won their home game with Thornbury Town 3-1. Justin Cattle put the home side ahead on 20 minutes but Town hit back through Mark Greenland. Lee Blackwell then gave Yate the lead on 35 minutes then in the 70th minute Cattle scored his second for Yate.

17th April 2007 - Stunning strike seals it for Taverners

The game between D.R.G. Stapleton and Taverners produced six goals on the evening. The fourth goal scored by Taverners Dave Legg was a stunning 40 yard shot that caught the D.R.G. keeper well out of position and the ball simply flew over his head into the empty net. Taverners should have scored after 8 minutes when Sid Lawrence missed an easy chance from 6 yards, but they eventually took the lead when Mark Harsant score from just inside the box on 15 minutes. Dave Healy levelled the scores for the home side with an excellent drive from the edge of the box. Taverners were fortunate to take the lead when Nigel Edmonds headed into his own goal from a corner on 33 minutes. D.R.G. hit back through Chris Johnson but Taverners scored again just before the break with a Dave Legg shot from the edge of the box. It was a fairly even second half with the home side having several chances to even the score but missed the opportunity. Then came that marvellous goal from Legg.

Henbury led 1-0 at Roman Glass St George through a goal from Nathan Baird until the very last minute when Nathan Churchill popped up to save the day for Saints.

Hardwicke gained a 1-0 victory over visitors Hanham Athletic with a goal midway through the first half from a Luke Kavanagh header.

16th April 2007 - Yate slip up

Yate Town Reserves thought they had done enough to win the game after going a goal ahead through Steve Ball but a surprise was in stall as Berkeley Town were fortunate to grab a point in the very last minute when Yate’s Tim Baker put the ball into his own net.

14th April 2007 - Title race really hots up

The race for the title is hotting up as both the top two teams lose.

Henbury lost at Yate Town Res to a fortuitous goal from a free kick on the half hour. Lee Blackwell took the kick which was wide out on the left he curled the ball into the box, Justin Cattle ran across the Henbury keeper Hodges and the bounce completely deceived the keeper and the ball went straight into the net. Henbury had just one really good chance to level the score when Ashley lock broke through on the right of the box and sent in a terrific shot that looked a goal all the way, but somehow Winkler just managed the faintest of touches and the ball flew over the crossbar.

Highridge United went down 3-2 at Ellwood and this was their third defeat in a row. Byron Ranford gave Ellwood the lead on 15 minutes and scored again on 25 minutes. Kavanagh pulled a goal back for United a minute before the break but Gary Wildin netted again for the home side on 80 minutes with Tyrone McNeeley getting a second for Highridge two minutes later. Highridge still remain top by two points but the chasing pack have games in hand.

Roman Glass St George are creeping up the table steadily and gained another 3-0 victory today over visitors D.R.G. Stapleton. 1-0 at the break with a goal from Nathan Churchill after 35 minutes but it could have been 2-0 but for a great save from the penalty spot by the visitor’s keeper denying Chris Astley a goal. Two further goals from Ian Power on 75 minutes and Chris Astley five minutes later wrapped up the points for the Saints.

Hardwicke took a 1-0 lead through an Eddie Rimmer penalty midway through the first half but then added another three in the second half to record a comfortable 4-0 win over bottom club Pucklechurch Sports. The second half strikes coming from Rob Hine on the hour, Ben Wood with a 25 yard drive on 80 minutes and a simple tap in for Dave Evans after the keeper completely misjudged the bounce of the ball. With five minutes left.

Axa came back from a 2-1 deficit at half time to win 3-2 at home to Totterdown P.O.B. Nathan Lumber gave Axa the lead but goals from Craig Timbrell and Shane Hobbs put the visitors in front. Steve Rice leveled in the second half and Justin Moore grabbed the winner.

Sea Mills Park finally got the better of Thornbury Town at the fourth attempt. Having lost the three previous games this season they came back with a vengeance winning 4-2. Ricky Lippiatt headed the first on 40 minutes and then a minute before the break Dave Harris’s shot from the edge of the box made it 2-0. A minute into the second half Richard Nelmes got the first of his two goals. Thornbury’s Niall O’Loughlan pulled one back for Town in the 48th minute, but Richard Nelmes then powered home a free kick to make it 4-1. An own goal from Adam Harley gave Thornbury their second.

Wotton Rovers were involved in yet another game that ended in a 1-1 score-line. Berkeley Town had taken the lead in the 40th minute with a goal from Tom Waldron but Keir Cox leveled in the 75th minute.

Hanham Athletic and Patchway Town had to settle for a 0-0 result although Town did hit the upright on several occasions.

Kings Stanley were relieved to finally gain a point after two defeats on the trot but it was yet again a 0-0 result against local rivals Taverners

12th April 2007 - Berkeley star in shock of the day

Taverners suffer a second 1-0 reverse this time at home to Berkeley Town. In a goalless first half in which both teams had half chances the hammer blow came in the 76th minute when Berkeley’s Ton Waldron who had positioned himself on the far post powered his header into the Taverners net.

Yate Town Reserves put another dent in Highridge United’s chances of winning the Championship running out 3-2 winners on the night. United fell behind after 10 minutes when Steve Ball scored after good approach work by Ollie Clark and Justin Cattle. Straight from the kick-off in the second half Jack Smyth broke down the right cut in and smashed the ball into the net. Highridge hit back ten minutes later when Mark Liddell netted and then levelled the score which was accredited to Steve Dowling but it looked suspiciously like an own goal. The winner for Yate was a great header by Jack Smyth after Carlos Reese and Justin Cattle had set the move up.

11th April 2007 - The Gap at the top closes

Henbury consolidated second position with a 1-0 win at Hanham Athletic the winning goal coming in the 78th minute from Scott Bamford following up after the first shot had been saved by the home team keeper.

In an excellent competitive game from both teams Patchway Town ran out 2-0 winners. It took a slice of luck for Town to take the lead after 15 minutes when Ben Purdie’s cross took a deflection of Hardwicke’s Justin Powell and the ball rolled into the net. Town made it 2-0 when Adam Searle drove the ball home from just inside the box in the 65th minute.

Roman Glass St George move into fourth position with a 3-1 win at Totterdown P.O.B. 1-1 at the break with goals from Luke Westwood for the Saints and Dale Cottle replying for Totterdown. Two further strikes from Adam Grinter and Dean Dalphy saw the visitors home.

10th April 2007 - Basement clubs share points

Wotton Rovers gained a valuable point at D.R.G. Stapleton but had to come from behind with a goal from Danny Thorpe on 65 minutes. Earlier in the first half Andy Lear had given the home side the lead after 15 minutes with a fart post header.

Pucklechurch Sports and Thornbury Town also shared a point each in a 1-1 draw. Goalless at the break Thornbury took the lead in the 65th minute when Mark Viner scrambled the ball over the line. Paul Jackson levelled ten minutes later heading home from a free kick.

Sea Mills Park ran our 2-0 winners at home to Kings Stanley. This was a game of one team taking their chances whilst the other failed with theirs. Dave Harris gave the Millers the lead with a shot on 39 minutes and Matt Stringer headed the second from a free kick in the second half.

7th April 2007 - Hat trick Heroics.

What an amazing performance from Yate Town Reserves' 39 year old Richard Totterdell. Called up for his first game of the season and ended up scoring his first ever hat trick for his club. His outstanding performance came against struggler's Wotton Rovers. Justin Cattle netted the first goal for Yate after 30 minutes but within a minute Wotton were level when Jon Lang scored. Totterdell then scored his first with a brilliant volley from the edge of the box. Jack Smyth was brought down in the box and Totterdell netted from the spot. Wotton then gave away another penalty and Totterdell was there to slot the ball away. Justin Cattle got into the act with his second before Jon Lang netted a second for Wotton two minutes from the end.

Kings Stanley must have thought the world is coming to an end after being on the end of a 7-0 thrashing from Henbury Nathan Baird netted four in the first 32 minutes scoring in the 10th, 20th, 25th, and 32nd minutes and it didn’t stop there because in the second half Noel O’Sullivan got into the act with a hat trick in the space of 19 minutes from the 50th to 69th.

Patchway Town continued to challenge for the title with a 3-0 win at home to Axa. The first came when Simon Wood turned the ball into his own net from a Mark Palmer cross in the 22nd minute. Matt Tottle headed a second for Town on 48 minutes and Palmer netted from the penalty spot on 72 minutes.

Sea Mills Park pulled off and excellent result over league leaders Highridge United. The Millers took the lead on the hour from a Dave Harris header only for United to strike back to level with a Mike Berry goal. The winner for the Millers came from Richard Nelmes in the 93rd minute.

Ellwood also caused an upset at home to Taverners Adam Stradling’s goal after half an hour was the only goal of the game that sent the visitors away empty handed.

Thornbury Town took the lead at Hardwicke in the 37th minute when Mark Viner netted a very good goal after Greening had sent in an excellent cross from the left. Hardwicke were let back in the game when they were awarded a penalty for a push in the box. Rimmer’s penalty was saved by the Thornbury keeper but Rimmer following up hammered the rebound into the net. A fair result for both teams.

Another 2-0 win to follow the win in midweek keeps Roman Glass St George in fifth spot in the table. The visitors Hanham Athletic this time. Two goals from Adam Grinter on 15 and 18 minutes in the first half should have been added to when Grinter was given the opportunity for a hat trick from the penalty spot in the second half but his shot hit the base of the upright and was cleared.

Luckless Pucklechurch Sports went down again this time at the hands of Totterdown P.O.B. 0-0 until the 85th minute Sports must have felt they had possibly earned a point but Tom Kilbane had other ideas and spoilt the day.

Berkeley Town were overjoyed to come away from D.R.G. Stapleton with 3 points after Tom Waldron had scored the only goal of the game on 35 minutes. It certainly eases their relegation fears.