league logo

MARCLIFF Gloucestershire County Football League

sponsor logo

Match Reports

19th May 2007 - Roman Glass win Championship

Roman Glass St George had probably already won the championship before today’s game but they made absolutely sure with a magnificent 7-0 thrashing of Wotton Rovers. Wotton who kicked down the slope in the first half created several chances to score early on in fact Micky Adams missed an easy chance after ten minutes when he shot wide with just Ferguson to beat. A few minutes later Rovers keeper was lucky to escape a booking when he handled outside the box but the resulting free kick came to nothing. At the other end Ferguson was again in action bringing of a brilliant diving save to deny Wotton’s Jon Lang’s header from going in. Just before the break Saints created several good chances but the Wotton keeper Gareth Eakers kept the ball out of his net. At half time neither side had managed a goal but what was to come is a different story.

Saints had the advantage with the slope in their favour and it only took then 2 minutes open the scoring. A break down the right opened up the Wotton defence and Chris Astley hammered the ball past Eakers. The second was a little fortunate but Ian Power’s dipping shot from a difficult angle crept just under the bar with the keeper well beaten. A minute later the Saints were three up when Nathan Churchill broke into the box round the keeper to slot the ball home. At this stage Wotton were a beaten team and it was just a matter of time before the visitors scored again and it was not long coming when Kevin Williams strolled past two defenders to drive the ball home. Saints were buzzing now and every thing they tried came off and a a cross from the left saw Luke Westwood’s backward flip of his head drop over the keeper into the far corner. Saints kept pushing and in the 78th minute Chris Astley score his second from the edge of the box. In the 83rd minute with the game well and truly won Luke Westwood popped up with his second to complete a miserable day for the hosts.

After the match the Gloucestershire County League Chairman Bob Stewart ably assisted by General Secretary Ron Holpin handed the Champions their trophies.

Ground Hoppers from all over the country attended the match the very last in the Gloucestershire County League this season lengthened by the very bad weather in January and February.

League Chairman Bob Stewart presents the Championship Trophy
Gloucestershire County League Chairman, Bob Stewart, presents the Championship Trophy to the Roman Glass St. George captain

Roman Glass St George celebrate winning the championship
Roman Glass St George winners of the Gloucestershire County League 2007/08

17th May 2007 - Highridge win battle for third place

Both teams on their last game of the season, the winners would finish in third place in the table. Highridge United took the game to Taverners right from the kick-off. The visitors always a hand-full at anytime kept pressurising the home defence but they held strong. A good through ball from Jenkins put John Miles clear but as the keeper approached and missed the ball altogether it looked odds on that Miles would score but somehow a defender just did enough to put the striker off. Ryan Gannaway was kept busy in the home goal having to fist the ball away on several occasions. Taverners were kept very quiet and only managed one header on target from Harsant in the first half. Highridge opened the scoring five minutes before the break with a super move. Mike Berry’s pass split the home defence and Tyrone McNeeley nipped behind the fullback and scored a great goal from a very tight angle. Taverners came out in the second half and straight from the start attacked the Highridge defence with Dave Legg managing a shot on target but it failed to trouble Jenkins. Then a great cross from the right was headed over the bar by Matt Blyth. Highridge gathered themselves and started to push the home side back and a defensive error in the 65th minute allowed Miles to slip the ball to Mike Berry to smash into the Taverners net. Matt Blyth was unlucky with a great shot from the edge of the box, his goal bound drive heading for the roof of the net, only to see Jenkins finger tip it over. Taverners might have scored when the ball was bobbling about in the six yard box but the final touch eluded them and the ball was cleared. In the 85th minute Highridge went further ahead when Ashley Curry picked up the ball on the left headed for goal and as he reached the box hit a tremendous cross ball behind the Taverners defence and Tyrone McNeeley was there on the far post to drive the ball into the net. Taverners never gave up and were rewarded in the 88th minute when Stuart Lawrence smashed the ball into the Highridge net.

16th May 2007 - Roman Glass move to pole position

A vital game took place at Kings Stanley that could decide who wins the Championship trophy this season. The visitors Roman Glass St George needed to win the game to stay in contention for the title. The visitors took the lead after 7minutes through Nathan Churchill, but the home side hit back after 20 minutes with a Martin McDermott goal. Five minutes later the home side were in front from a Matt casey7 goal, then right on the break Luke James equalised for the Saints. The second half was fairly even until the 70th minute when Kevin Williams netted for the visitors to give them a 3-2 advantage. Within five minutes Williams put then further ahead and Nathan Churchill capped of a good evening for the Saints with a goal in the last minute. This now puts Roman Glass St George at the top of the table on the same number of points as Patchway Town but with a better goal difference.

Ellwood finished off their season with a 5 goal haul to record a5-0 victory over visitors Thornbury Town. This defeat leaves Thornbury Town in a relegation position in the table. Ellwood took a 2-0 lead in the first 45 minutes with both goals coming from Byron Ranford. The second period produced three more goals for the home side without reply. On target for Ellwood were Mark Lee, Gary Wildin and Jody Taylor. Both teams have now completed their fixture with Ellwood reaching mid table after a lean spell early on and Thornbury struggled to get out of the bottom four all season.

15th May 2007 - Yate win at Wotton

Yate Town Reserves completed their fixtures with a visit to Wotton Rovers. They took the lead in the 8th minute when a cross from the left caught out keeper Gareth Eakers misjudging it completely. It struck the crossbar and fell neatly onto the foot of Justin Cattle to tap the ball in from 4 yards. Yate’s mark Winkler was called into action to save from Jon Lang at the other end, but it was Yate who took a two goal lead on 33 minutes, although Eakers saved the first shot Jack Smyth was on hand to knock in the rebound. It was Lang again who might have pulled a goal back for the home side but his header went just wide of the post. Yate kicked down the slope in the second half and pushed the home defence hard and eventually Paul Lucas made it 3-0, then Jack Smyth got his second to make it 4-0. Lee Bridson grabbed the fifth to leave Wotton Rovers a well and truly beaten team on the night.

14th May 2007 - Highridge edge out DRG

Highridge United took the three points but D.R.G. Stapleton must feel very unlucky to have lost the game 2-0. The first real chance arrived after 15 minutes when Tyrone McNeeley saw his shot well saved by Danny Fletcher. Five minutes later the same pair were in action again and this time Fletcher turned McNeeley’s shot around the post for a corner. Chris Johnson of D.R.G. missed a great opportunity to put them ahead on 24 minutes but shot wide of the target with just Jenkins to beat. At the other end Mike berry saw his effort pushed round the post by Fletcher and then Liddell had his shot well saved by the keeper. D.R.G. began to get on top and forced several corners in succession but the Highridge defence were equal to the task and kept the ball out of their net. Then just when it looked as though it would be a goalless first 45 minutes against the run of play Highridge took the lead in the 43rd minute. A cross from the right was poorly dealt with by the D.R.G. defence and John Miles facing away from goal hooked the ball over is head and into the net. Second half United were kicking down the slope and for the first twenty minutes had the visitors defence at full stretch, but a break from Danny Degay down the right for the visitors almost resulted in a goal with Jenkins in the home goal at full stretch to push the ball away. Highridge were a little fortunate with their second goal the referee awarding a penalty for handball on 80 minutes but it looked a very harsh decision. Jon Berry stepped up to take the spot kick which he buried in the bottom corner. In the dying moments a shot from Mike Berry struck the visitors post and was cleared.

12th May 2007 - Ellwood hit Totterdown for six

Only two games played today. The game at Totterdown P.O.B. the last of the season for the home team saw plenty of goals but unfortunately six of them went into the Totterdown net. Ellwood were the visitors and for the first 25 minutes the home side had the better of the play and took the lead with a brilliant free kick taken by Gary Booth whose shot from 30 yards curled into the bottom corner of the net. Ellwood drew level with almost an identical goal at the other end on 31 minutes. A free kick on the right was taken by Luke Warren and his left foot curling shot deceived the home keeper for and excellent goal. Ellwood took the lead on the hour mark when Byron Ranford’s netted from 12 yards for the first of his three goals. Jamie Addis netting the third after is first shot was blocked but made sure with his second effort. Ellwood should have scored a forth when Gary Wildin broke clear but his shot was blocked on the line by Bryan Blackmore. The fourth was not long coming when Byron Ranford’s left foot drive easily beat the keeper. Ranford completed his hattrick when Julian Addis lifted the ball over the Totterdown defence for Ranford to run clear and easily beat the keeper. Ranford almost scored again but his shot was blocked by the keeper and cleared away by Matt Thomas. At this stage of the game Ellwood were buzzing and only a great save by the home keeper kept Yusuf Meroglu shot out. At the other end Craig Timbrell took on the Ellwood defence on his own going past four defenders before squaring the ball across goal only to see it cleared away. Ellwood made it 6-1 in the 87th minute when Mertoglu’s pass put Mark Lee clear to hammer the ball into the net.

Taverners over came local rivals Kings Stanley by a 3-0 scoreline at Nailsworth. They were fortunate to take the lead on 29 minutes when a Stanley defender put through his own goal. The goal of the game came in the 34th minute when a poor kick out from the Stanley keeper fell straight to Mark Harsant who took the ball on the volley and hammered it into the net for 2-0 lead. In the 66th minute Taverners were awarded a penalty with Jamie Bish given the rare opportunity to take the spot kick. His shot was well saved by the Stanley custodian but Bish following up netting with his second attempt. The home side should have made it four when Craig Roberts was put clear but with only the keeper to beat he shot high over the bar.

10th May 2007 - Patchway hold on to take top spot

After the shock of losing to Axa on Tuesday Patchway Town knew that only a win would suffice at Taverners if they are to stand any chance of taking the title. They started well and took the lead after 36 minutes when Clayton Clarke netted from a corner. Five minutes later they went 2-0 ahead with a goal from Ben Purdy. Just before the break Taverners pulled a goal back when Matt Blyth was brought down in the box and Mark Harsant scored the penalty. Ten minutes into the second half Patchway restored their two goal lead when Chris Reubens netted from the penalty spot, but Taverners hit back again when Matt Blyth scored from a free kick to make it a tight finish, but Patchway held on to take the three points.

8th May 2007 - Patchway stumble at first hurdle in title race

Patchway Town stumble in their quest to win the title when they were defeated 3-2 by Axa at Cribbs Causway. On a very windy and rainy night reminiscent of winter weather Axa took the lead in the second minute when Shane Parker hammered the ball past Alford into the corner of the net. Patchway were handed a lifeline in the 14th minute when Ben Purdy was pulled back in the penalty area. Matt Webb took the penalty that was well saved by David Rice the second attempt was struck straight at the keeper but from the rebound and third time lucky Webb forced the ball into the corner of the net. Axa took a surprise lead in the 40th minute after Tom Blyth’s free kick was head over Alford By Lee Moore, then just before the break Steve Rice pulled his shot wide when through on goal. Almost straight from the kick off in the second half Patchway were level, some very tidy build up work was finished of when Keith William drove the ball past Rice. Within two minutes Axa were back in front when Steve Rice netted a cross from the right. Patchway trailing for the third time saw Anderson miss a great chance to level on the hour, but as the game progressed Town were pushing forward which left them thin at the back and only a great block on line and a great save by Alford prevented Axa another goal. Patchway were very disappointed with the result which now means the game at Taverners is a must win to keep the pressure on the challengers Roman Glass St George.

Berkeley Town finished their season in fine style with a 2-1 win at home to Henbury. It was Henbury who shocked Town with a headed goal from Nathan Baird in the first minute and it was three minutes past the hour before Pete Lavis levelled with a shot that took a deflection on its way into the net. Berkeley who had the better of the play in the second period grabbed the winner in the 70th minute from a Karl Nash free kick.

Wotton Rovers gained a good three points with a 3-0 win at home to Kings Stanley. There were no goals in the first 45 minutes but matt Woodcock’s miss-hit shot found the back of the net on 48 minutes. Jon Lang made it 2-0 on the hour from a cross from the right and Ricky Walker wrapped it up smashing the ball into the net from a Jon Lang pass.

Thornbury Town’s season has gone from bad to worse after losing 1-0 at home to Hardwicke. The Hardwicke goal scored by Mark Carter in the 80th minute drop Town into 17th spot in the table after Wotton Rovers win.

5th May 2007 - Two horse race for title

After today’s results the title chase has become a two horse race between Roman Glass St George and Patchway Town with both teams two game left to play. Patchway Town will complete their fixtures this week playing Axa away on Tuesday and Taverners away on Thursday.

Roman Glass St George have a little longer to wait to complete there season with a visits to Kings Stanley and Wotton Rovers on the 16th and 19th May. Just one goal divides the two teams.

Both teams gained a 2-0 away victory over their opponents today.

Roman Glass St George left it late at Hanham Athletic with Jon White giving them the lead on 75 minutes and Kevin Williams following with a second ten minutes later. In the dying minutes Nathan Churchill struck the crossbar.

Patchway Town were away to Tottedown P.O.B. and went racing into a 2-0 lead after twelve minutes. Ashley brown opened the scoring on 8 minutes and four minutes later Adam Searle netted the second.

Taverners can count themselves unfortunate to have lost to a goal from Henbury’s Nathan Baird in the 70th minute having created numerous chances throughout the game. The culprits guilty of missing chances in the first half were Stuart Lawrence on 3 minutes shooting wide when clear through on goal and it was Lawrence again on 40 minutes who struck the crossbar after making a clear cut chance for himself and just on half time Kris Pritlove headed over from a Griffiths cross. Henbury’s Eddie Howells and Nathan Baird both had half chances but failed with their efforts. In the second half after Baird had scrambled the ball into the Taverners net the Henbury goal came under siege and both Dave Legg and Mark Harsant should have scored for the home side. Legg’s shot struck the crossbar and Harsant shot straight at Hodges.

D.R.G. Stapleton and Yate Town Res were all square at the break after Justin Cattle had given Yate the lead on 25 minutes only for Tony Kissoon to level on his first appearance this season, but Yate snatched the points when Cattle netted his second midway through the second half.

Thornbury Town were almost home and dry when the took the lead in the 85th minute through Joe Garland but a silly defensive mix-up allowed Axa’s Steve Watts to level right at the end.

Highridge United who led the table just a few weeks ago will be spending another season in the County League after their form has fallen right away. They could only manage a 2-2 draw at home to lowly Wotton Rovers with Goals from Mike berry and John Miles with Wotton replying with a double from Gary Cripps.

Ellwood netted three in the first 45 minutes to gain a 3-0 win over Kings Stanley. A 12th minute goal by Byron Ranford set the ball rolling and that was added to by Yusuf Mertoglu on 27 minutes, Jamie Addis rounded it off in the 44th minute.

The game between Sea Mills Park and Berkeley Town failed to produce a solitary goal throughout the 90 minutes.

2nd May 2007 - Patchway close in on top spot

Patchway Town’s 3-0 home win against a poor Thornbury Town side could easily have been a much bigger score line if they had put away the numerous goal scoring opportunities that they created through out the game. Town were 2-0 up after 18 minutes with John Shorland netting the first and Aaron Anderson knocking home the second. In the second half Adam Searle and Kris Rubens missed good chances to score and it was left to substitute Ben Purdy to fire home the third in the 81st minute.

Taverners had to wait until the 50th minute to open the scoring in this game and it was Stuart Lawrence who broke the deadlock. Axa’s Lance Moore levelled with a header but it was Lawrence with a header in the 87th minute that sealed the victory for the home side.

1st May 2007 - Wotton Stun Henbury

One shock result in this evenings games. Henbury travelled to Wotton Rovers and were defeated 4-2. Craig Knight gave the home side the lead on 40 minutes with Henbury’s Nathan Baird replying three minutes on. Two minutes into the second half Wotton were in front again this time through John Gull. Two further goals from Paul Eldridge 65 and Jon Lang 80 put Wotton well on top, but with three minutes left Nathan Baird netted his second.

Yate Town Res pumped five into the Ellwood net without reply. The first came after 5 minutes from Justin Cattle followed by a Lee Briston goal on 20 minutes. A minute into the second half Jack Smyth netted the third, with Cattle netting his second on the hour. Jack Smyth grabbed number five near the end.

Sea Mills Park went down 4-1 at home to Hanham Athletic. Moss Banderin gave the home side the lead, but Hanham hit back with a brace from both Simon Dew and Mark Pocock. Level at the break Hanham then added a further three in the second half.

Roman Glass St George went three points clear at the top with a slender 1-0 win at Berkeley Town with a Nathan Churchill goal on the halt hour.

D.R.G. Stapleton halted their miserable run of defeats with an excellent 4-2 victory over Totterdown P.O.B. Dave Healy gave D.R.G. the lead on 35 minutes only for Dale Cottle to level for the visitors. It was Healy again on the hour that gave D.R.G. the lead and a further strike from Chris Johnson made it 3-1. Dale Cottle grabbed a second for Totterdown, but veteran Tony Kisson came on as a substitute for D.R.G. and with his very first touch found the back of the visitors net.