league logo

MARCLIFF Gloucestershire County Football League

sponsor logo

Match Reports

27th October 2007 - Thornbury snatch point at Pucklechurch

Pucklechurch Sports and Thornbury Town shared a point each in a 2-2 draw, but although Thornbury had much the better of the first half, they were reduced to ten men after 37 minutes when their keeper Steve Farr was dismissed when handling outside the penalty area and denying Sports a clear goal-scoring opportunity. Earlier Nick Randall had gone close with a well struck shot that went just the wrong side of the post. Sibley was definitely the busier of the two keepers in the first half and was called up on to make several telling saves. Thornbury’s goal came from a long ball up field after the break down of a rare sports attack, Nick Randall cutting in from the left and driving a low shot under the diving Sibley. The second half Sports had the advantage that Town had enjoyed in the first 45 minutes of kicking down the slope with a strong wind behind and after 5 minutes they were on level terms when Jon Wiltshire’s free kick curled away from stand in keeper Pete Fowler into the corner of the net. Thonbury fought back and had several breaks down the right side but the final crosses were poor. Sports also felt they could possibly win this game and with eight minutes left a corner from the right to the far post was headed home by Wiltshire to give sports a 2-1 lead. Again town didn’t lie down and with just a few minutes on the clock grabbed the equalising goal from a corner on the right that was flicked on for Chris Johnson to volley the ball into the net from 8 yards.

Taverners go top of the table after their 4-1 win at Berkeley Town. Leading 1-0 at the break from a Craig Harris strike in the 17th minute and Berkeley had their keeper dismissed for handball on 44 minutes. Taverners made it 2-0 in the 48th minute when Mark Harsant got the first of his two goals before Berkeley’s Mike Bryant’s header pulled it back to 2-1. Harsant grabbed his second on 68 minutes and Harris finished it off on 85 minutes.

Highridge United gained a 3-1 victory over Tuffley Rovers at the Creek, united taking the lead on 12 minutes with a Mitch Kavanagh strike. Rob Cook levelled two minutes after the break for Tuffley but Mickey Adams restored Unites lead on 63 minutes. Dean Maggs rounded the scoring off six minutes later.

Kings Stanley were 2-0 winners over Henbury who are struggling to find their feet at the moment. Steve Potter gave Stanley the lead in the first half with Danny Chandler netting a second on 75 minutes.

Hanham Athletic hammered four goals past bottom club Wotton Rovers the goals coming through Terry Baker, James Zabek, Shane Hobbs and Simon Dew with a consolation from Kier Cox of Wotton.

Yate Town Res chance of going top came unstuck when they went down 1-0 at home to Ellwood with Alan Williams getting a late goal for the visitors.

Les James league Cup Round 2

Holders Patchway Town went out of this year’s Les James Cup Competition going down 1-0 at Hardwicke to a late penalty by Richard James. In a poor game in which Hardwicke had a player sent off after 55 minutes they still managed to squeeze through to the Semi-final.

Also through to the semi-finals are Axa after their 1-0 defeat of D.R.G. Stapleton. In a game that never really took off the tie was settled as early as the first 5 minutes when Steve Watts netted the only goal of the game.

20th October 2007 - GFA Trophy first round

The Surridge Gloucestershire County Football League have four teams through to the second round of the GFA Challenge Trophy.

Tytherington Rocks 5-1 victory over Yate Town Res went to extra time after the score at ninety minutes was 1-1. Rocks had much the better of the first 45 minutes and took an early lead after 3 minutes when Steve Thompson’s shot went over the head of Hamilton into the Yate net. Rocks had several more chances to increase the lead but Hamilton in the Yate goal saved well from Totterdell and Bright to prevent further goals. Yates only chance in the first half was came in the latter part and was squandered when the shot was skied over the bar. Yate changed their tactics in the second half and for the first 20 minutes were much the better side and scored with a free kick taken by Neil Simons from a narrow angle out on the left the ball beating Ben John in the home goal striking the post on its way into the net. This was a wake up call for the Rocks who started to control the game with some very neat passing, but Yate’s defence absorbed all that was thrown at them. At the end of 90 minutes with the score still level extra time was brought into play and Rock’s took the lead in the 101 minute when Sage who looked offside lobbed the ball over Hamilton for a 2-1 lead. The second period of extra time belonged to Tytherington first Luke Garbacz ran 40 yards to hammer the ball past Hamilton them Marcus Taylor a bright prospect who had come on as a substitute made it 4-1 and right on the 120th minute Marc Hughes netted the fifth against his old team.

Hardwicke continues their recent good form with a 3-1 win over Ellwood. The home side fell behind after 5 minutes when Byron Ranford netted for Ellwood, but 20 minutes later the were level from a Paul Carter strike. Ten minutes later Carter struck again to put Hardwicke in the lead and Richard James saw them safely into the second round with a penalty five minutes from the end.

Tuffley Rovers are through to the next round with a 4-1 victory over Wotton Rovers. Tuffley opened the scoring with an Ollie Everitt goal on 15 minutes but Wotton hit back three minutes later through Kier Cox. Pete Thomas gave Tuffley the lead on 21 minutes and a brace from Pat Boyd 61 and 89 minutes completed the score.

Almondsbury F.C. from Toolstation League 1 went down 1-0 at home to Axa F.C. with a goal from Steve Watts after 75 minutes.

Taverners took Hellenic League side Harrow Hill to extra time before going down 1-0 to a James Pickett goal scored in the first half of the extra period.

Pucklechurch Sports held Hellenic League high flyers Almondsbury Town until the 85th minute when Simon Gilbert netted for the visitors.

Winterbourne United fell behind to visitors Berkeley Town when Tom Waldron netted after 39 minutes. But United hit back in the second half, first through Scott Cameron after 56 minutes and a second from Jimmy Potts who netted from the penalty spot five minutes from the end.

Biggest score of the day came at Cirencester United who were hammered by visitors Kings Stanley 9-0. It took Stanley 35 minutes to open the scoring Matt Casey taking the honors. It remained 1-0 at the break but the avalanche started 10 minutes into the second half with goals from Danny Chandler (2) Matt Davis (2), Danny Stephens, Aiden Mercer, Steve Potter, and Mitch Grenfell-Williams.

Patchway Town go out to Premier Toolstation side Hallen 4-1. On Target for Patchway was Matt Tottle and for Hallen Matt Reynolds Richard Nelmes and Tom Harris (2).

Thornbury Town were beaten 2-0 at home to Longwell Green Sports. They fell behind after just 2 minutes to a Dave Barnall strike and sealed the victory in the 80th minute when Dan Tanner netted.

Lydney Town progressed to the next round with a 3-2 victory over Highridge United. On target for the home side was Joe Macklin, Danny Clarke and Pete Macklin, Highridge replied through Mitch Kavanagh and Micky Adams.

18th October 2007 - Handbook

Copies of the 2007-08 Surridge Gloucestershire County League Handbook for 2007-08 are available to purchase at £3.50 plus £1.00 postage and packing. Contact the League Secretary Ron Holpin for more details.

Postal and Telephone contact details can be found on the contacts page if required.

Handbook cover

13th October 2007 - Harwicke climb to the summit

Highridge United will be very disappointed with their 2-0 defeat at home to Taverners. The game was very interesting and enjoyable to watch with both sides creating chances. The first goal came after 16 minutes when Stewart Lawrence turned his marker on the edge of the box and smashed the ball into the roof of the Highridge net. Mike Berry brought Barnfield into action the keeper pulling off a good save. Taverners had to make two changes in five minutes halfway through the first half with both players leaving the field with injuries, but the two substitutes slotted into the pattern of play very well. Berry was again on target but Barnfield was equal to his effort. At the other end Nick Reiger one of the subs went close with a great shot and Craig Harris should have done better when he ran clear of the home defence but mistimed the ball. And it went through to Brimble. Highridge should have leveled on 37 minutes when a long free kick from Windows found the head of Adams but he directed it straight at Barnfield from close range. Harris almost made it 2-0 with a shot that was half stopped by Brimble and then cleared away just before it reached the goal line. A few minutes later Harris was put clear and as he approached the Highridge goal he cut the ball onto his left foot and deceived Brimble with his shot. Then Mike Berry headed wide from another Windows cross and a minute later Lee Hancock shot was just wide of the post. Taverners have a very good defence but Highridge were guilty of missed chances and in particular Micky Adams who might have pulled a goal back when he had a clear shot on goal from 25 yards with Barnfield on the edge of the 18 yard box way out of position but the ball went over the top. Berry had a shot parried by Barnfield but Liddell failed with the rebound. Right at the end Brimble pulled off a great save to deny Lawrence a second goal diving to his left and pushing the ball away for a corner.

Pucklechurch Sports were disappointed to lose by the odd goal after taking Yate Town Res to the 80th minute with both sides unable to break the deadlock until substitute Justin Cattle found the back of the net for the visitors. This win takes Yate into second place in the table.

Thornbury Town’s first half performance was abysmal according to their spokesman. Playing against Wotton Rovers, who were only able to field 10 players from the start, Thornbury found themselves trailing 1-0 at the break from a Jon Gull penalty in the 25th minute. The second half was a completely different story. Firstly Ken Malala leveled the score. Then there was an inspired substitution from Thornbury manager bringing on Nick Randall who netted two in the space of five minutes in the 70th and 75th minute and Jamie Mitchell putting the score beyond Wotton in the 87th minute. Wotton by this time were down to 8 players.

Henbury’s 2-2 draw with D.R.G. Stapleton means that both sides have yet to register a win this season. The visitors took the lead on 2 minutes Leon Cozens getting on the score sheet. A 20th minute header by Scott Bamford leveled the score but right on half time D.R.G grabbed a second through Mark Richards. Midway through the second half Tony Beecham netted for the home side to salvage a point.

Ellwood and Berkeley Town kicked off 30 minutes late because the Berkeley bus broke down on route. This may have reflected in the final 4-1 result plus Town had a player sent off after 30 minutes. Ellwood took the lead on 10 minutes Mark Lee netting from the penalty spot, but the second goal was another 50 minutes in the making this time Mike Nelson was on target. Then Lee contrived to miss a second penalty before Alan Williams netted the third for the home side on 75 minutes. Nelson got his second five minutes later from a second penalty and Berkeley netted a consolation goal in the 85th minute through Mike Bryant.

Tuffley Rovers tumbled to a 3-0 defeat at home at the hands of Axa. The visitors took the lead after 25 minutes Tom Blyth knocking in a cross from the right. Ten minutes later Blyth headed a second to give them a 2-0 lead at the break. A third goal from Craig Timbrell midway through the second half sealed the game for Axa.

Patchway Town last weeks leaders were held to a 2-2 draw by Hanham Athletic. Bradley Harris got the home side of to a great start netting after just 2 minutes but Hanham struck an equaliser in the 36th minute through Simon Dew. A second goal by Bradley Harris after Matt Webb had set him up put the home side in the driving seat once again until the very last minute, the referee awarding a penalty to the visitors which Simon Bryant tucked away.

Last but not least we have new leaders this week with Hardwicke beating Kings Stanley 3-1 to go to the top of the table. Stanley took the lead after just 4 minutes when Mike Beckingham volleyed the ball into the roof of the Hardwicke net. They hung on to that lead until the 70th minute when Paul Carter leveled. Within two minutes the home side were in front Ben Wood side footing home a low cross from a corner. Richard James made it 3-1 in the very last minute from the penalty spot after being brought down in the box.

6th October 2007 - Patchway shuffle to top of pack

Patchway Town moves to the top of the table after being held to a 1-1 draw at Thornbury Town. Thornbury took the lead in the 14th minute when they were awarded a penalty for handball. Up stepped Chris Johnson to drive the ball home for his fist goal of the season for his new club. It took Patchway until the 80th minute to level when a long ball from the right was headed home by Chris Chinnock.

Tuffley Rovers lost their top position when they went down to local rivals Kings Stanley. The first 45 minutes remained goalless but Stanley opened the scoring three minutes into the second half with a goal from Mitchell Grenfell-Williams. They should have increased their lead in the 50th minute from the penalty spot but Rovers keeper Scott Rhodes saved Mark McDermott’s shot. It was a typical local derby with several cautions on both sides and a sending off.

A single goal in the 87th minute from Stewart Lawrence gave Taverners the three points at Axa. Not a lot of chances created throughout the game but a good defensive performance from Taverners and a couple of great saves from their keeper Craig Barnfield kept the Axa forwards at bay.

Pucklechurch Sports move four places up the table after their 3-1 success at Wotton Rovers. Sports netted twice in a minute midway through the first half through Rhys Morgan and Andy Grainger to give them a 2-0 lead at the break. Rovers pulled a goal back in the 70th minute when Craig Hopkins scored but two minutes later Rhys Morgan netted his second to give them their first win of the season.

It was a stormy affair at D.R.G. Stapleton as they entertained Hardwicke with the score finishing 1-1. Sam Thomas gave the home side the lead in the first half but a goal from Richard James in the second half leveled the score. Danny Fletcher saved a Hardwicke penalty in the very last minute of the game. D.R.G. remain at the foot of the table without a win so far and just two points on the board.

The best score of the day came at The Creek where Highridge Untied defeated Ellwood 4-2. United took a two goal lead in the first half with goals from Craig Liddell and Mike Berry. Dean Maggs made it 3-0 from the penalty spot and united went further ahead when substitute Micky Adams netted a fourth. Two late goals from Byron Ranford and Mark Lee made the score look a bit more respecable for the visitors.