league logo

MARCLIFF Gloucestershire County Football League

sponsor logo

Match Reports

28th February 2009 - Tuffley triumph in seven goal thriller

Seven goals scored in the match between Axa and Tuffley Rovers almost as many as the number of spectators watching. Tuffley Rovers were much the better side in the first half and created two chances in the first few minutes that could have seen them 2 – 0 up. The first attempt was from Warren Mann his shot was well saved by Jim Pearce. Then Rob Cook hit the post from close range. In the 15th minute Rob Cook should have opened the scoring for Tuffley but as he bore down on goal Pearce made a great save with his legs to deny the striker. Axa’s first real attempt on goal came in the 22nd minute and against the run of play, a good passing movement saw the ball threaded through for Andy Sledge to slot past Bennett with the Tuffley defence appealing for offside. In the 28th minute Tuffley were awarded a penalty after Nathan Lumber had pulled back Warren Mann, but Ben Surman failed to capitalise on the opportunity by pulling his shot wide of the goal. Ten minutes later Tuffley were awarded a second penalty with Surman stepping up again to take the kick this time he shot straight down the middle and Jim Pearce prevented the ball going in with his legs. In the 43rd minute Tuffley got the goal they deserved when Warren Mann beat two defenders on the edge of the box before driving a left foot shot past Pearce. With in a minute Axa broke to the other end where they forced a corner, and from the corner Danny Thorpe was given a clear header on goal to give Axa the lead. On 45 minutes Tuffley levelled again when from a 25 yard free kick Stuart Griffith curled the ball past Pearce.

Axa performed better in the second period and the Tuffley defence were at full stretch for the opening few minutes. After riding the storm the visitors broke away and Warren Mann was fouled on the edge of the box by Marsh for which he received a yellow card. In the 73rd minute Tuffley took the lead when Warren Mann squared the ball back for Mark Wallington to slide the ball home. Axa almost levelled in the 86th minute when Danny Thorpe’s free kick was brilliantly flicked over the bar by Adam Bennett. In the 89th minute Tuffley went further ahead when Stuart Griffith netted his second from a Chris Lee pass. Immediately from the kick off a break down the right by Axa saw Andy Watts send a cross into the box, the Tuffley defence misjudged it and Martin Middlecote knocked the ball into his own net. In time added on Axa had a glorious chance to level the score when Noel O’Sullivan only had to beat Bennett but shot wide of the target. In the dying seconds Jim Pearce Axa’s keeper brought off two brilliant saves to deny the Tuffley forwards.

Another Shane Hobbs Hat-trick helped Henbury to another victory at title chasing Ellwood which does their cause no harm in the race for honours. Henbury opened the scoring as early as the 3rd minute with Shane Hobbs notching his 23rd goal of the season. Ellwood levelled the score in the 43rd minute with Daryl Addis netting from the penalty spot. In the second half Henbury took the lead in the 60th minute with Hobbs getting his second and with 5 minutes remaining Hobbs grabbed his third to complete another hat-trick.

Taverners continue their recent good form with a 3 – 0 victory over Berkeley Town. It took the home side until the 40th minute to open the scoring when Stewart Lawrence lobbed the ball over the advancing keeper. 45 minutes later Taverners got their second through Kris Pritlove with a near post header. Tom Hanley made it 3 – 0 in the 90th minute to wrap up the points.

DRG Stapleton came back down to earth with a bump after their big victory last week when they went down 1 – 4 at home to Hanham Athletic. The signs looked good in the first few minutes when Clinton Wilson opened the scoring for the home side, but within two minutes they had conceded a goal, poor defending at the near post allowed Steve Moore to slot the ball home from 3 yards. Hanham took the lead in the 37th minute through Richard Grinter and six minutes later they were 3 – 1 up when poor defending again by DRG allowed Mark Pocock in to score. Chances were sparse in the second half with both teams resorting to the long ball game but DRG’s Justin Bishop had a good chance to pull a goal back but his shot was really well saved by keeper Strawford. With just two minutes to go the visitors netted their fourth when Shaun Morris out stretched the home defence to slot home. A much needed result for Hanham after their recent poor run.

A point a piece for B & W Avonside and Patchway Town after both sides could only find the back of the net on one occasion. Patchway took the lead in the 19th minute when Ashley Brown slotted the ball into the bottom corner from the edge of the box. Ten minutes later the home side were level, a good run by Kris Rueben who laid the ball off for Steve Mason to tap in from close range. There were chances created in the second half with both sides having penalty claims turned down. The home side had a great opportunity to snatch all the three points with 12 minutes remaining, when Rueben lobbed the keeper but then agonisingly saw the ball just clip the top of the crossbar.

Thornbury Town’s first visit to Bishops Cleeve Res earned them a useful point in a 2 – 2 draw. The home side opened the scoring after 12 minutes when Robert Allen drove home Jamie Hammonds cross. Within five minutes Town were level when striker Steve Alexander turned in the box and drove a sweet shot into the bottom corner. Five minutes before the break the home side regained the lead, this time Jamie Hammond turning in a cross from Daniel Gittings. On the hour mark Thornbury levelled again with a cracking Steve Rice goal.

23rd February 2009 - Henbury - Presentation

CONGRATULATIONS go to Cliff Griffiths who at 92 years of age is still making and serving tea for the Players, Match Officials and Spectators at Henbury Football Club

Cliff,or Griff as he is known, celebrated his 92nd birthday a couple of days ago and was presented with a signed photo by the players.

Cliff has been involved at Henbury since the 1960s and has held several posts within the club over the years and is still a key member of the committee.

21st February 2009 - Holey Moley DRG win at last

The unusual story of the day is the circumstances surrounding the postponement of the fixture between Highridge United and Chipping Sodbury Town.

Highridge United ground share with Bristol Manor Farm, and on Thursday the league received a phone call from the Highridge Secretary stating that their game on Saturday would have to be postponed because a family of Moles had taken over the pitch at the ‘Creek’. The Mole family had been in residence for some time but they decided to invade the playing area to stage their own game. Players tried to dribble past the mole hills but the Moles had set out their defensive tactics very well and the players found it difficult to keep control of the ball and found themselves tripping over the hills. Action needed to be taken and the management team of Bristol Manor Farm called in the experts and were advised that it would take two days to sort the Moles out. The outcome of which meant that no football could take place for 48 hours, hence Highridge United versus Chipping Sodbury Town was postponed to a later date.

DRG Stapleton pulled off their first win of the season with an emphatic 7 – 2 victory at Patchway Town. A Clinton Wilson hat-trick helping the visitors on their way to an important first win. DRG opened the scoring as early as the 3rd minute with a Clinton Wilson strike. DRG were 2 – 0 up in the 10th minute with a Daniel Cox 25 yard strike. 4 minutes later it was 3 – 0 with Clinton Wilson grabbing his second of the afternoon. DRG’s goal scoring spree didn’t stop there and on 18 minutes Jamie Coombes put the game beyond doubt. After 25 minutes Referee Roger Goodwin was unable to continue in charge after suffering with a calf strain and was replaced. Just before the break Clinton Wilson scored completing his hat-trick. But Patchway hit back in added time in the first half with Matt Webb netting. In the second half DRG carried on where they left off and Justin Bishop scored to make it 6 – 1. Lee Morse pulled another goal back for the home side before Corey Wilson netted to complete the rout. One bit of news to spoil DRG’s afternoon was the injury to Adam Venton taken to hospital with a suspected broken ankle.

Thornbury Town’s recent good form came to an end with a 2 – 1 defeat at home to B & W Avonside. Thornbury had much the better of the first 45 minutes and in the first ten minutes of the game forced four corners but failed to capitalise. After pushing the visitors defence hard, Thornbury took the lead in the 25th minute when a long ball out of defence deceived the visitors defence and Steve Alexander nipped in to round Alex Lippiatt the B & W keeper and slide the ball into an empty net. A few minutes later a tremendous shot from Steve Rice saw Lippiatt diving full length to try and save but the ball went just the wrong side of the post. In the 37th minute Thornbury should have scored again when James Darosa’s cross bobbled around the six yard box before being hooked away by a visitors defender. The start of the second half saw B & W push forward putting the Thornbury defence under a lot of pressure and from one of these attacks the ball came nicely to Kris Rueben who from 20 yards out shot through the crowd of players clipping the inside of the post before nestling in the back of the net. Thornbury had lost their momentum and rarely ventured into the visitors half having to defend as B & W pushed more and more forward. On two separate occasions Kye Simpson was put clear and should have scored but shot wide with just Malcolm to beat. A rare attack by Thornbury almost brought a goal when Pete Fowler headed just wide from a corner. A few minutes later B & W Avonside snatched the winner when the Thornbury defence allowed Steve Mason room to slide the ball home.

Alexander rounds the keeper for Thornbury
Alexander rounds the keeper for Thornbury
Image courtesy Nigel Meaney

Alexander nets for Thornbury
Alexander nets for Thornbury
Image courtesy Nigel Meaney

Henbury managed a narrow 2 – 1 win at home to Bishop Cleeve Reserves but fell behind after 15 minutes to a Jamie Hammond shot after a scramble in the box. At this stage the visitors looked the better side but Henbury's leading goalscorer Shane Hobbs pounced in the 38th minute to level the score. Four minutes later Hobbs again on target with a shot from just inside the box. The second half saw both sides create numerous chances but there was no further score.

Another big victory for Kings Stanley over Tuffley Rovers keeps them in contention for the title. This 5 – 1 victory got off the ground in the 20th minute when Mike Beckingham opened the scoring. A few minutes later Stanley were 2 – 0 up through Steve Potter. Then in the 35th minute Luke Barstow netted a third. Five minutes into the second half Beckingham netted his second to make it 4 – 0. Stanley were still not satisfied and Nick Reiger scored in the 70th minute. Tuffley who had been outplayed through-out the game snatched a consolation goal in the dying minutes through Dan Gillespie.

Reubens levels for B&W
Reubens levels for B&W
Image courtesy Nigel Meaney

The game at Station Road between Berkeley Town and Axa ended in a 2 – 2 draw. The home side took the lead after 15 minutes when a cross from Richard Langford was headed in by Adam Philp. Midway through the half Berkeley took a 2 – 0 lead when Philp’s header was palmed away by the Axa keeper straight to Peter Holder who drove his left foot shot into the net. In the 31st minute Axa’s Steve Watts should have levelled the score when he was one on one with the Town keeper Miles Palmer, the keeper winning the battle. On the hour mark Axa pulled a goal back as Steve Watts broke into the box and he was brought down and Danny Thorpe netted the penalty. Axa drew level in the 63rd minute when Ryan McKillop scored from Neil Turner’s cross.

Slimbridge remain top after their slender 1 – 0 win over Ellwood. In a goalless first half, both sides had created several chances. Gary Ash and Craig Cole both went close for the home side and Byron Randford and Jamie Addis had the Slimbridge keeper Ryan Chandler at full stretch. The only goal of the game in the 85th minute when William Wellon’s cross was met by Marvin Roberts who’s first shot was parried by Edwards but the ball fell kindly for Roberts to tap home.

Hanham Athletic remain one place off the bottom after their 2 – 0 defeat at home to Taverners. The visitors took the lead after 30 minutes when Russell Chamberlain netted from the penalty spot. The final nail in the coffin came in the 70th minute when Chamberlain netted Taveners second.

14th February 2009 - Thornbury edge out luckless DRG

Only four fixtures from the scheduled eight matches survived.

Thornbury Town continued their good run with a 2 – 0 win at DRG Stapleton. The score-line could have been different had the home side taken the two early chances they created. It was in the opening 5 minutes that DRG had two great opportunities to score when Clinton Wilson outstripped the Thornbury defence, but shot wide with only the advancing keeper Rob Malcolm to beat and then Justin Bishop headed just wide from a corner. Thornbury’s first attempt on goal saw a header cleared of the line by Ben Chantrell, with all the Thornbury players appealing for a goal. Thornbury opened the scoring on 30 minutes after a mix up in the DRG defence allowing Steve Rice an easy tap in. The home side created a great opportunity to level the score early in the second half when Justin Bishop’s cross slipped past everybody when only a slight touch could have ended in a goal. Mid way through the second half Thornbury scored a fortuitous goal when James Derosa’s shot took a slight deflection that deceived the keeper and ended up in the back of the net. It was not DRG’s day when they hit the bar and the post twice. They also had a deflected free-kick from the edge of the box that went straight to the keeper. In an even game the difference was that Thornbury took their chances.

In this top half of the table clash it was Yate Town Reserves who faired better in what has been a turbulent week for the club while Kings Stanley are experiencing a hiccup in their chase for honours. A Justin Cattle hat-trick with 2 from the penalty spot and 1 from Jack Smyth enabled Yate Town Reserves to continue their good form. The first 45 minutes belonged to Yate culminating in a 3 – 0 half time lead. The opening goal came in the 10th minute with a Jack Smyth strike. Five minutes later the home side were 2 – 0 up when Justin Cattle netted his first of the day. In the 20th minute Smyth was brought down in the box and Cattle converted from 12 yards. King Stanley hit back after the break with a good 25 minute spell which seen them pull two goals back. Tony Francis scoring both in the 50th and 60th minutes. Yate Town then got back into their stride with another Penalty again converted by Cattle in the 74th minute which gave them a 4 – 2 lead and settled the encounter.

Henbury are back to winning form with a conclusive 4 – 0 victory over B & W Avonside, with double strikes from Jermaine Wright and Shane Hobbs. Henbury opened the scoring in the 12th minute with a lucky goal from Jermaine Wright which struck his shin and ended up in the back of the net. The second on 28 minutes was superb 25 yard lob from Shane Hobbs which gave the keeper no chance. A minute before the break Henbury took a 3 – 0 lead when Jermaine Wright went on a solo run beating two defenders before squeezing the ball past the visitors keeper from a narrow angle. The final goal came in the 70th minute, a second from Shane Hobbs, a 30 yard screamer. Henburys defence were rarely troubled through-out the 90 minutes.

Axa got back to winning ways after two previous games ended in defeat with a 3 – 2 home victory over lowly Hanham Athletic. It was Hanham who opened the scoring after just 2 minutes when a cross from the left found Richard Thomas unmarked and he drove a left foot volley into the Axa net. The home side drew level after 20 minutes, left full back Nathan Lumber drove a right foot shot into the right hand corner from 25 yards. Axa then took the lead in the 30th minute when veteran Neil Turner picked up the ball on the edge of the box and drifted passed two defenders before coolly slotting the ball into the bottom left hand corner. In the second half Axa created quite a few good chances but the Hanham defence and keeper kept the home side forwards at bay. After soaking up the early pressure, Hanham levelled the score on the hour with a 35 yard free-kick from Mark Pocock which deflected off the wall sending the keeper the wrong way. Axa snatched all three points in the 75th minute when a combination of passes from Andy Watts and Steve Watts ending in Ryan McKillop’s cross being met by full back Nathan Lumber to out jump two defenders to head home from 8 yards.