league logo

MARCLIFF Gloucestershire County Football League

sponsor logo

Ron's Match Reports

30th October 2010 - Yate edge out Henbury to stay top

The top four teams all won today so Yate Town Reserves remain the leaders with Brimscombe and Thrupp moving into second place after they gained a 1-0 victory at Bishops Cleeve Reserves in the week.

My visit to Yate Town Reserves today expecting the leaders to turn on a good performance was a disappointment as both Yate and visitors Henbury turned in a very poor show. The nearest we came to a goal in the first 45 minutes was a 25 yard effort from Henbury’s Danny Tomlin after 26 minutes which had Lubos Ancin diving to save. Vinny Coote should have put Henbury into the lead on 31 minutes but his clear header on goal from a Billy George cross was misdirected. Adam Rosser then shot into the side netting for Henbury a few minutes later. At the other end Yate’s Niekel Plummer should have done better from a Jordan Yeo cross.

Action from Yate Town Reserves v Henbury
Action from Yate Town Reserves V Henbury

The second half continued in the same vein until the 54th minute when Jordan Yeo broke down the right squared the ball back into the centre and Ryan Jefferies took a couple of touches before unleashing a 30 yard drive that just flew into the top corner of the Henbury net. Henbury hit back and Adam Rosser saw his low shot pushed around the post by the Yate keeper. Henbury then gave away a second goal in the 69th minute as Ed Wright sliced the ball over his own keeper. Lewis Hughes who had come on a sub for Yate gave the ball away on the halfway line and it was threaded through to Nicholas Patounas to fire in a shot from the edge of the box that was heading for the bottom corner only for Yate keeper Lubos Ancin to dive full length and push the ball out for a corner. Yate took the points with a very poor display.

Rockleaze Rangers got of the mark with their first win of the season hammering visitors Bishops Cleeve Reserves by six goals to nil. The home side were home and dry by the interval after taking a 4-0 lead. Will Bowley was on target for the opening goal after 5 minutes and netted a second on 20 minutes. Then a hattrick from Nathan Bryer who was recently transferred from Hanham Athletic made it a good day all round. The first came on the half hour with a powerful right foot shot and he scored a second ten minutes later. Matt Smith headed home number five after 55 minutes from a corner and Bryer completed his hattrick from the penalty spot after Matt Smith had been brought down.

Tuffley Rover must be kicking themselves after going 2-0 up after 58 minutes.

Mark Ford gave them the lead on 44 minutes when Danny Wallington took a quick throw in and Ford casually lobbed the ball over the keeper. Marcus Foxwell slotted the ball into the bottom corner on 58 minutes and the home side were in control. Visitors Kingswood had other ideas and hit back with a Dan Griffiths goal in the 69th minute and six minutes later they were level when a low ball was driven into the box and Jamie Evans slid the ball home. In the 85th minute Tuffley failed to clear a bouncing ball and Jamie Evans some how got his head to the ball as it looped over the keeper for the winner.

Action from Yate Town Reserves v Henbury
Action from Yate Town Reserves V Henbury

Chipping Sodbury Town raced into a 5-0 lead against Ellwood at the Ridings four of the goal coming in the first half hour of the game. Tom Godsall headed home a Liam Barrett cross after just 4 minutes and ten minutes later Paul Lucas netted the first of his two goals. Ben Rhodes headed home a corner from Danny Coombes after 20 minutes and Alex Fox made it four nil on 30 minutes. In the 57th minute Paul Lucas got his second and it looked all over, but the visitors hit back with two late goals in the 80th & 85th minute from Derek Roberts and David Childs but they were well and truly beaten.

A six goal thriller at D.R.G. Stapleton saw both teams settle for a point apiece. There were four penalties in the game all of which were netted. The home side got off to a good start when Andrew Criddle volleyed home after just 5 minutes, but ten minutes later Axa were level when Ryan McKillop headed home from a cross into the box. Then came the first penalty after 24 minutes Lewis Morgan giving Axa the lead from the spot. Before the break the home side were level when Martin Nicholls also netted from the penalty spot. The visitors took the lead again from the penalty spot this time it was Noel O’Sullivan converting from 12 yards. Axa were reduced to ten men when Ryan McKillop was dismissed for a second yellow card allowing the home side to get back in the game and this they did in the 75th minute when Martin Nicholls was given a second chance to level from the penalty spot and dully obliged.

Kings Stanley continues to challenge for the top spot with a 4-2 victory over Hanham Athletic. Hanham who are struggling to find their feet at the moment conceded their 16th goal in 3 games. The visitors surprised Stanley after just 5 minutes when Dan Pearce raced through the home defence who were appealing for offside but no avail as he drove the ball into the net. Within minutes Stanley drew level when Chris Haynes shot was blocked and Simon Harmer drove in the rebound. Chris Haynes then made it 2-1 to the home side on 30 minutes. Hanham levelled the score on 47 minutes as Leon Grange cut in from the left to score. Matt Buckland then restored Stanley lead on 60 minutes with a header from a corner and then Buckland squared the ball back for Simon Harmer to net his second in the 70th minute.

Action from Yate Town Reserves v Henbury
Action from Yate Town Reserves V Henbury

Brimscombe & Thrupp continued in their winning ways with a 2-1 win at home to Patchway Town. Jamie Tubb gave the home side the lead on 23 minutes from a Mike Beckingham corner and it remained that way until the 58th minute when Beckingham’s well struck penalty was saved by the visitor’s keeper but it fell kindly for him to strike the rebound home. Patchway were guilty of missing a golden opportunity to pull a goal back but did eventually get on the score sheet with a headed goal from Matt Tottle in the 70th minute.

23rd October 2010 - Brimscombe take points at AXA

Yate Town Reserves remain top after their win at Kings Stanley whilst Chipping Sodbury Town move into second place after they thumped Hanham Athletic at Vicarage Road.

The game at the Axa Sports Ground saw visitors Brimscombe & Thrupp go away with a 3-1 victory that moved then into fourth place in the table. Brimscombe were the much better side in the first 45 minutes and went into the break with a 2-0 lead, but on chances created it could have been three or four nil. Only several outstanding saves from home keeper Matt Turner kept the score-line down. Pete Smith was guilty of missing a couple of chances early on that were well saved by Turner in a one on one situation. A tackle on Mike Beckingham in the 13th minute in the box that saw him brought down resulted in Beckingham netting from the penalty spot. Then a few minutes later the same player was just wide with a rasping left foot drive from the edge of the box. The visitors took a 2-0 lead after 37 minutes when Beckingham was put clear on goal to drift around Turner to slide the ball home.

Action from AXA v Brimscombe and Thrupp
Action from AXA v Brimscombe & Thrupp

Brimscombe should have increase their lead early in the second half but Turner again saved the day with a great stop to deny Chris Underwood. The home side gradually got their game together and for once the visitors had to defend as they were pushed back into their own half. Constant pressure paid off for Axa in the 61st minute when a Dan Griffiths free kick from the right was curled into the box and Rob Allen rose above the Brimscombe defence to head home on the far post. A minute later we almost had a repeat as Allen hit the upright with a header from a cross sent over by Griffiths. In the 73rd minute Griffiths saw his cross headed onto the crossbar and out for a goal kick. Brimscombe made several changes and it was substitute Jon Dalton who sealed the points for the visitors when a long free kick was misjudged by Greening and Dalton latched on to the loose ball to drive his shot past Turner.

Kings Stanley gave leaders Yate Town Reserves a shock when they took the lead in the first minute from the penalty spot after Chris Hayes had been brought down in the box. Sam Prior making no mistake from the spot. The visitors kept plugging away and were rewarded in the 44th minute when Alex Lambert capitalised on a defensive error to level the score. Yate were the better side in the second half and moved the ball around really well and went 2-1 up on 67 minutes from a free kick just on the edge of the box that the home keeper failed to hold and Jack Kinnerly picked up the rebound and side footed home.

Hanham Athletic took another six goal hammering for the second week running when they went down 6-0 at home to Chipping Sodbury Town. The man of the match for the visitors was Lee Gardiner grabbing a hattrick two in the first half on 20 and 40 minutes and a third with a six yard tap in on the 80th minute. Luke Meacham made it 3-0 in the 50th minute with a shot from the edge of the box with Tom Godsell making it four with a free kick. Then came Gardiners third and Alex Fox rounded it off on 85 minutes.

Action from AXA v Brimscombe and Thrupp
Action from AXA v Brimscombe & Thrupp

A six goal thriller at Scott Park between Patchway Town and Tuffley Rovers with both teams sharing a point each. Rovers took the lead when Mark Ford headed home from a corner after 5 minutes and Patchway’s Mark Palmer levelled the score on 20 minutes when he headed home from a corner. Ford then restored the lead for Rovers on 30 minutes with another headed goal and just before the break Palmer levelled for Town from the penalty spot. Mark Tottle gave the home side the lead in the 60th minute with a diving header but ten minutes later Ford completed his hattrick with a fine shot into the corner of the net.

Bishops Cleeve Reserves raced into a 2-0 lead after just eight minutes with two goals from Mike Davis the first after 3 minutes a lob over the keepers head and the second a stunning 25 yard drive. Thornbury hit back on 27 minutes through Troy Monks and just before half time Steve Alexander levelled the score.

Berkeley Town took the lead after 15 minutes when Paul Brooks volleyed home from a corner, but visitors Taverners grabbed a point in the 49th minute when Craig Mills headed home a cross from the right.

Only one goal in the game between Kingswood and Henbury was enough for the visitors to go away with all three points. In a game of few chances Matt Roberts beat home keeper Chris Fox with a powerful shot into the bottom left corner in the 54th minute.

Action from AXA v Brimscombe and Thrupp
Action from AXA v Brimscombe & Thrupp

Ellwood and Rockleaze were unable to find the back of the net in the first 45 minutes, but a Julian Addis strike in the 50th minute condemned the visitors to yet another defeat and keeps them firmly rooted to the bottom of the table.

16th October 2010 - GFA Trophy Round up

Five clubs from the Surridge Gloucestershire County Football League progressed into round three of the GFA Challenge Trophy.

Brimscombe & Thrupp caused the biggest upset of the day winning 2-1 after extra time against Slimbridge from the Premier Division of the Hellenic League.

The visitors opened the scoring right on half time, when good work from Craig Cole set up Lewis Wilton to drive his shot in off the post.

The home side levelled the score in the 57th minute when they were awarded a penalty which was taken by Mike Beckingham and was saved by the Slimbridge keeper but it rebounded nicely to Phil Smith to follow in and slot the ball home.

There was no further score in the 90 minutes with the game going into extra time. Brimscombe grabbed the winner in the 107th minute with a superb 20 yard free-kick from Matt Blythe that flew into the top corner giving the keeper no chance. The last few minutes of the game became very tense for the home side as Slimbridge piled on the pressure but Thomas in the home goal was equal to everything that was thrown at him.

Hellenic League Division One West side Tytherington Rocks cruised into the next round with a 6-0 victory over Gloucestershire County League Hanham Athletic. Rocks always looked the more dangerous of the two sides with their strike force of Bishop, Potts and Taylor giving the Hanham defence plenty to the think about. Rocks opened the scoring after 6 minutes when a free-kick from the right was poorly defended by the visitors leaving Justin Bishop a simple task to knock the ball home from 6 yards. Rocks continual pressure resulted in them taking a 2-0 lead after 20 minutes when Marcus Taylor broke into the box where he was impeded by Chris Strawford, the Referee awarding a penalty. The resulting spot kick was converted by Jimmy Potts. Hanham’s first effort on goal came after 32 minutes with a brilliant run by Dan Pearce down the left eluding several Rocks defenders but then with a clear shot on goal hit it straight at Tom Sheppard. A couple of minutes later Hanham should have pulled a goal back when Paris Allen played Shane Allison in on goal but he shot wide. Another good move this time by Shane Budding and Dan Pearce saw Sheppard make a great save to deny a Hanham goal. In the 45th minute Tytherington had a slice of luck when Taylor broke into the box hit a left foot drive at goal it took a wicked deflection of centre-back Will Cawte that deceived keeper and squeezed in off the post.

In the first minute of the second half Allen and Bray both had shots that went close, Tytherington made it 4-0 on the 50th minute when a mazy 40 yard run from Mark Totterdell ended with the player striking a 20 yard shot past the diving Fletcher. At the other end James Laver missed a great chance to reduce the arrears when he was put clear, shooting straight at the keeper from inside the box. At this point in the game, there was a change in match officials as Referee Rob Cockle who had pulled a hamstring had to hand over to his senior assistant Martin Chidley. Rocks went further ahead in the 64th minute when a corner from the right was headed home by defender Dan Moore. Hanham’s Chris Ashwood saw his shot well saved by the Rocks keeper and from the rebound Pearce fired over the bar. In the 89th minute Rocks completed the rout when Potts broke down the right, fired a low shot at goal which rebounded nicely for him to follow up and drive the ball home.

Axa go out of the competition with a 2-0 home defeat to Western League Division One leaders Oldland Abbotonians. Matt Huxley gave the visitors the lead after 4 minutes with a shot from 8 yards and a second in the 50th minute a shot from the edge of the box from Ryan Bath saw the visitors through to the next round.

Kings Stanley go out with a 1-0 home defeat by Hellenic Division One (West) side Lydney Town. Stanley failed to create many chances through-out the game and saw the game slip away in the 80th minute when Matt Timms latched onto a ball that rebounded off the upright to give them the lead. From that point on the visitors always looked the better side and had several more chances to increase the lead.

An all Surridge Gloucestershire County Football League encounter between Rockleaze Rangers and Berkeley Town resulting in the visitors going through to the next round with a slender 1-0 win. Rockleaze did strike the cross bar in the first half and Carl Hart saw his header hit the upright in the 50th minute but the visitors grabbed the win in the 80th minute when Richard Langford volleyed the ball home from a Ben Gillison knock down. Langford almost made it 2-0 two minutes later with a header that went just wide.

Bishops Cleeve Reserves are through to the next round with a 2-1 win at home to Chipping Sodbury Town. The home side took the lead in the 8th minute when Mike Davis’s cross was headed home on the far post by Nick Rhodes. A second goal in the 65th minute, a tremendous 25 yard shot from Mike Davis that went in off the post; put the home side in a comfortable position. Sodbury got back in the game in the 75th minute with a Paul Lucas goal that made the game a bit edgy with the home side hanging on for the win.

Taverner’s goal in extra time gave them a 2-1 victory over DRG Stapleton. Earlier in the game Taverners had taken the lead when Phil Hall pulled the ball back from the bye-line for Tom Hanley to side foot home. Within a minute the visitors were level with a goal from Lee Smart. The winner for Taverners came in the 116th minute when a cross from the left from Tom Hanley saw Dave Woodfield tap the ball in from 8 yards.

Ellwood make it into the next round with a 3-1 defeat of Thornbury Town. It was Thornbury who took the lead in the 25th minute when Steve Thompson unleashed an unstoppable shot. The home side levelled the score through Gary Wilding on 65 minutes and five minutes later they were in the lead from a Mike Nelson strike. A second in the 90th minute from Mike Nelson completed the victory.

12th October 2010 - Western Counties Inter-league Competition

Surridge Gloucestershire County Football League 1 Magna Dorset Premier League 0

After the rest of last season’s fixtures had to be postponed due to the inclement weather we all experienced, it was good to be able to stage a second fixture in this competition.

We have never faced the Magna Dorset Premier League in this competition before and it was a good test for the home squad, as Dorset had reached the last four of the FA National League System Cup Competition that was completed last season.

There were only three players who remained in the squad from our last outing against Errea Somerset County Football League last season, which we lost 3-2 at Portishead.

The Magna Dorset Premier League also made quite a few changes to their line-up from their last meeting with the Plaister Autos Wiltshire Football League with only three players remaining in the squad from their 2-0 success.

Match Officials and Captains
Match Officials and Captains
Image Courtesy of Peter Langley

The venue for the night was Yate Town Football Club and in front of 72 spectators both sides turned in a very fast and entertaining game of football.

The visitors looked the better of the two sides in the early stages with their slick precise passing movements, with the home side struggling to find their rhythm.

The visitors tested the home keeper Ewan Prentice on several occasions but the keeper looked well in control of the situation.

Action from Gloucestershire County League V Dorset Premier League
Action from Gloucestershire County League V Dorset Premier League
Image Courtesy of Peter Langley

The home side’s first effort on goal came from Steve Alexander his effort just missing the upright in the 35th minute. A free kick from just outside the box was wasted when Mike Beckingham struck the ball straight at the wall. The visitor’s keeper Mike Carroll brought of a great save from a Gary Probert shot just before the break.

In the second 45 minutes both sides made changes on the field of play with the home side introducing four substitutions and the visitors introducing two new players. With both teams working really hard to make that break through the first scare came when Dan Greenhouse who had replaced Ewan Prentice in goal for the home side at half-time, fumbled the ball in the six yard box but somehow managed to recover just in the nick of time.

As the game progressed towards the end it looked a certain 0-0 score-line was on the cards, but you never know what is going to happen until the final whistle is blown. The referee was always going to add time on at the end after Gloucester’s Nathan Lumber took a bad knock and was receiving treatment fro sometime before he was replaced.

Action from Gloucestershire County League V Dorset Premier League
Action from Gloucestershire County League V Dorset Premier League
Image Courtesy of Peter Langley

Dorset had a lucky escape in the 89th minute as first their keeper saved and then the ball was cleared off the line.

Fortunes favoured the home side and in time added on they grabbed the only goal of the game and what turned out to be the winner.

The ball was pushed up to Steve Alexander on the right and his pin point cross to the far post was brilliantly read by Mike Beckingham who came steaming in behind the defence to volley and unstoppable left foot drive past Nick Carroll.

Action from Gloucestershire County League V Dorset Premier League
Action from Gloucestershire County League V Dorset Premier League
Image Courtesy of Peter Langley

Just one more minute was played and the visitors pushed forward into the Gloucestershire box but the home sides defence held firm for a memorable win.

Both teams can be proud of their displays on the evening which was played in a very competitive but sporting manor, not one caution throughout the whole game. Excellent!!!

9th October 2010 - Hanham bounce back at Rockleaze

Yate Town Reserves lose ground at the top of the table as they slip up at Local rivals Chipping Sodbury Town. Kings Stanley are held to a draw at home by Kingswood and Tuffley climb up into third place with a home win over Brimscombe & Thrupp.

The biggest climber in the table today was Hanham Athletic after their hammering last week they bounced back to win 3-1 at bottom of the table Rockleaze Rangers.

For the five minutes of this game it looked as though the visitors were going to suffer another defeat as the defence looked all at sea. They found themselves 1-0 down after three minute as William Bowley bundled his way past three Hanham defenders, staying on his feet to slide the ball past Dan Fletcher. This early shock made Hanham aware that they needed to pull themselves together and ten minutes into the game they began to show some signs that they were not about to take another hammering again this week. They should have levelled on 13 minutes when James Laver was brought down in the box. A definite penalty and it was down to Shane Allison to make the spot kick count, but a brilliant save by home keeper Sam Burgess diving full length to his right kept the home side in front. Hanham had another chance to level on 26 minutes when they were awarded a second penalty. The taker of the penalty changed to James Laver but the end result was exactly the same as Burgess guessed right and brought of yet another brilliant save. The visitors kept pushing forward and were rewarded in the 30th minute when a back heel from Shane Allison set Paris Allen free down the right and his low cross was perfectly met by Shane Budding to slide the ball past Burgess. Leon Grange saw his 25 yard shot fisted away by Burgess as the ball moved about on its way to goal. At the other end Fletcher kept out William Bowley’s free kick.

Hanham started the better in the second half and took the lead in the 46th minutes as Burgess failed to reach a ball on the edge of the box and James Laver hooked the ball over the keeper. Danny Pearce then missed a great chance to put the visitors further ahead skying the ball over from 12 yards. The home side steadily inched their way back into the game and James Pilling’s rasping shot went just over and sub Carl Hart saw his shot saved by the keeper’s legs. Hanham clinched the three points in the very last minute with a goal from a long free kick flicked on by Danny Pearce for Chris Ashwood to slot past Burgess.

In the local derby between Chipping Sodbury Town and Yate Town reserves the home side clinched the three point’s midway through the second half with a headed goal from Alex Fox after Meacham had broken down the right and created the space to get a cross in. Sodbury were the better side for most of the first 45 minutes but neither side managed to create any good openings. Yate might have levelled towards the end of the second half but both Alex Lambert and Charlie Lacey squandered the chances.

Tuffley Rovers move up into third with a 3-1 victory over Brimscombe & Thrupp. According to a Brimscombe spokesman it was a bad day at the office. Tuffley took the lead after 20 minutes from the penalty spot put away by Dan Wallington. The incident leading to the spot kick was quite bizarre as the visitors keeper took the ball cleanly then pushed the ball into the face of Wallington, getting himself booked and conceding the penalty. Brimscombe were level after 29 minutes when Tuffley defender Ben Harris was unable to avoid bundling the ball into his own net. Rovers went 2-1 up in the 35th minute when Dan Wallington netted his second from close in. The third for Rovers came in the 58th minute with a good build up between Victor Webb and Mark Ford with Webb getting the final touch.

Patchway Town picked up 3 valuable points with a 3-2 victory at Henbury. The home side should have opened the scoring on 15 minutes when awarded a penalty but Town’s keeper pulled of a great save form Nicholas Patounas spot kick. New signing Keith Williams gave Patchway the lead 2 minutes before the break and five minutes into the second half Ashley Lloyd made it 2-0. The visitors then took a 3-0 lead through Paul Evans on 78 minutes. Henbury then woke up and two minutes later they pulled a goal back with a David Brown strike. Nicholas Patounas made it 3-2 with just a minute to go but to late for Henbury to salvage anything from the game.

Taverners Phil Hall gave them the lead after 30 minutes but two late goals from Gavin Garthwaite and Ben Maguire in the 85th and 88th minute stole the 3 points for Bishops Cleeve Reserves.

D.R.G. Stapleton gained a second successive win with a 3-1 victory over Berkeley Town. It was the visitors who took the lead after 11 minutes when Richard Langford latched onto a cross from the right turned defender Nathan Broe before dispatching his shot into the corner of the net. The home side could have been on level terms at the break if Lee Smart or Tristan Ferguson had put their chances away. The home side drew on 50 minutes when Lee Smart chipped the keeper after latching on to a poor back pass. Leon Powell then drove a good shot past the visitors keeper too put them in front in the 66th minute and 3 minutes later they went 3-1 ahead when Fergusons pass found Darren Werrett to slot home.

Thornbury Town came back to earth after last Saturday’s huge victory when they only managed a 2-2 draw at home to Ellwood. The visitors are a much improved side from last season and took the lead on 6 minutes with a Mike Nelson goal. They should have made it 2-1 on 36 minutes from the penalty spot but Town’s keeper Alex Lippiatt saves well. In between Dave Greaves had levelled the score on 18 minutes. Steve Alexander gave the home side the lead on 31 minutes and went into the break one goal to the good. In the 55th minute Ellwood were back on level terms with a Byron Ranford strike. In the last 10 minutes Ellwood were reduced to 9 men but Town failed to take advantage.

The final score ended 2-2 at Kings Stanley after Adam Eldridge had given visitors Kingswood a 25th minute lead, Eldridge picking up a poor throw out by the keeper before dispatching the ball into the home sides net. Sam Prior pulled it all square from the penalty spot on 35 minutes. In the 63rd minute a low cross from Luke Barstow squeezed into the Kingswood net from a deflection, but Ryan Mudd netted a second for Kingswood in the 70th minute to finish all square.

2nd October 2010 - Kingswood and Sodbury draw a blank

Yate Town Reserves increased their lead at the top of the table with a victory over basement club Rockleaze Rangers. Axa slip up at home to Tuffley Rovers and Thornbury Town hammer Hanham Athletic at Vicarage Road.

Our visit to Kingswood to watch the local derby between them and Chipping Sodbury Town failed to produce any goals as both sides cancelled each other out. There were a few chances created, the first coming in the 16th minute when Luke Meacham broke down the right and sent in a low cross into the box where Paul Lucas should have netted but failed to make contact with the ball. Kingswood’s Paul Bleaken was unlucky when he struck the upright in the 33rd minute. Five minutes later Gavin Dibden’s long range shot was really well saved by Sodbury’s keeper Simsek. In the 40th minute a long free-kick from Adam Eldridge saw Tom Higgins header just skim past the post.

Action from Kingswood v Chipping Sodbury Town
Action from Kingswood v Chipping Sodbury Town

In the 58th minute Dan Griffiths was unlucky has his glancing header flew across goal just wide of the upright. At the other end Chris Fox brought off a great save when he tipped the ball on to the bar from a Luke Meacham header. Kingswood brought on Adam Harber and he almost scored but Simsek some how managed to block the shot and push it out for a corner. With five minutes to go, Ryan Mudd’s cross was met by Adam Harber who shot from the edge of the box went just wide of the upright. Sodbury almost clinched the points when a corner from the right was headed goal wards by Ben Rhodes but Ryan Mudd just managed to scramble the ball of the line.

Hanham Athletic who recently dispensed with the services of their manager after a 5-1 success at Taverners last week really came unstuck when they were hammered 8-1 at home by Thornbury Town. The star man for town was striker Steve Alexander netting four of the eight goals. The first after 5 minutes with a 6 yard tap in and five minutes later he fired in a second from the edge of the box. Dan Thompson was the next on the score-sheet after 17 minutes and Brother Steve Thompson made it 4-0 after 35 minutes. Alexander struck his third again with a shot from the edge of the box 2 minutes into the second half. In the 66th minute Adam Harley got onto the score-sheet and ten minutes later Alexander notched his fourth. Luke Garbacz made it eight in the 80th minute from a free-kick. A consolation goal for Hanham came in the 83rd minute with an overhead kick from veteran striker Chris Strawford.

Leaders Yate Town Reserves fell behind twice in the first 30 minutes but hit back to win 4-3 against basement club Rockleaze Rangers. James Pilling gave the visitors the lead early on but then conceded an own goal in the 25th minute to level the scores. Pilling then put the visitors 2-1 up in the 28th minute before Alex Lambert levelled for the home side again two minutes later. Yate then went into the lead in the 35th minute again the visitors conceding an own goal. A minute before the break Rockleaze were level when Matthew Exton netted. The winner for Yate came in the 80th minute from a Joe Martin penalty.

Action from Kingswood v Chipping Sodbury Town
Action from Kingswood v Chipping Sodbury Town

Axa went down 2-0 at home to Tuffley Rovers when Dan Wallington gave the visitors the lead after just 5 minutes heading home a cross from the right. A second from Mark Ford in the 50th minute from a Warren Mann cross sealed the game.

DRG Stapleton picked up their second win of the season with a 2-1 victory at Bishops Cleeve Reserves. It was the home side who took the lead after 8 minutes through a Jamie Clarke strike, with the visitors grabbing an equaliser through Liam Powell in the 46th minute. The winner for DRG came in the 90th minute, Nathan Broe finding the back of the net to take the three points.

Patchway Town’s mini run of four points from two games came to an end when they were beaten 2-1 at home by Kings Stanley this win moves Stanley into second place. Chris Haynes opened the scoring after 30 minutes with a one on one situation with the keeper. Patchway levelled the score in the 80th minute when Paul Evans scored at the far post but a late goal by Mitch Grenfell-Williams in time added on stole the three points for Stanley.

Brimscombe & Thrupp bounced back from their defeat last Saturday to gain a 4-0 home victory over Henbury. No goals in the first 45 minutes but Henbury’s Billy George saw his effort really well saved by the home keeper. Gary Probert opened the scoring for the home side on 57 minutes when he managed to avoid the tackles of three Henbury defenders before driving the ball home. Matt Blythe’s header in the 73rd minute from a Mike Beckingham cross put the home side 2-0 up then Pete Smith made it 3-0 in the 80th minute and Mike Beckingham rounded the score off with five minutes to go.

Action from Kingswood v Chipping Sodbury Town
Action from Kingswood v Chipping Sodbury Town

Taverners hit back with vengeance after their heavy loss last week, their visit to Ellwood proved more fruitful coming away with a 4-0 victory. The man of the match was undoubtedly Phil Hall who netted all four goals for the visitors. In a ten minute spell in the first half he netted his hat-trick, the first coming on 35 minutes followed by a second on 40 minutes and the third right on half-time. Ten minutes into the second half he netted his fourth of the afternoon. A spokesman for Ellwood said that it was a very lacklustre performance from the home side.