league logo

MARCLIFF Gloucestershire County Football League

sponsor logo

Ron's Match Reports

26th February - Kingswood smash six against Tuffley

Chipping Sodbury Town move to the top of the table after their win at Ellwood whilst Brimscombe & Thrupp drop to second place after being held to a draw at Patchway Town.

Our visit to Kingswood produced nine goals as the home side came back from conceding two early goals to Tuffley Rovers to win 6-3.

Tuffley who fielded a much changed team due to players being unavailable shook the home side after nine minutes when a long ball over the home defence caught them flat footed and Mark Ford raced through to score. In the opening minutes Kingswood had two early chances but both Ryan Mudd and Paul Eldridge failed to make them count. In the 14th minute Rovers were 2-0 up as the home defence were again caught out looking for the offside as Mark Ford broke through only to have his shot well saved by Chris Fox but the ball fell kindly for Kyle Kennedy to follow up and drive the ball into an empty net. The home side hit back in the 28th minute when Gavin Dibden’s pass to Dan Griffiths split the Rovers defence as he ran through to slide the ball past Adie Bennett. Paul Bleaken, making his 300th appearance for Kingswood, was unlucky when his neat flick through a crowded goalmouth almost crept past Bennett the keeper grabbing the ball at the last moment. Five minutes before the break the home side were on level terms when Ryan Mudd hooked the ball across the box for Paul Bleaken to head past Bennett.

Action from Kingswood v Tuffley Rovers
Action from Kingswood v Tuffley Rovers

At the start of the second half Rovers had a great chance to take the lead as Scott Jones broke clear down the left but as he shot Fox came rushing out to smother the ball. Paul Bleaken had the ball in the net for the home side on 51 minutes but it was ruled out for offside, then a couple of minutes later Ryan Mudd was through on goal but shot wide as Bennett closed him down. The home side were beginning to run the show and took the lead in the 58th minute when Jamie Evans was put clear to fire past Bennett. This was the start of a chain reaction of errors from Rovers as their manager was dismissed from the technical area for inappropriate behaviour. Gavin Dibden then missed a good chance to increase the lead for Kingswood but shot wide of the target. In the 73rd minute Kingswood score a some what fortunate goal as a long free kick was floated over the far post where Paul Bleaken jumped at the ball it struck his shoulder ran down his arm off his knee into the net. Two minutes later Tuffley were reduced to ten men when John Corbett was sent off for a bad foul on Ryan Mudd. Things got even worse for Rovers in the 80th minute as Ian Buckingham brought Jamie Evans down and received his marching orders. With Rovers down to nine men Kingswood piled on the pressure and went 5-2 up when Jamie Evans squared the ball into the box for Simon Graham to get on the score sheet. Tom Higgins netted the home sides final goal with a solo run blasting the ball past Bennett. In time added Richard James scored the most spectacular goal of the afternoon when he hit the ball from 45 yards and it sailed over Fox into the net to make the final score 6-3.

Chipping Sodbury Town continue to push for the championship with another good 3-1 win at Ellwood. Paul Lucas put Town ahead but were pegged back on 40 minutes when Kerry Hale levelled for Ellwood. The three points were sealed with a double strike from Luke Meacham in the 60th and 85th minute to move them to the top of the table.

Action from Kingswood v Tuffley Rovers
Action from Kingswood v Tuffley Rovers

Patchway Town pulled of a good result holding league leaders Brimscombe & Thrupp to a 1-1 draw at Scott Park. The first 45 minutes failed to produce any goals but then Keith Williams gave the home side the lead early in the second half. Brimscombe are a strong outfit and fought back to gain a point with a Gary Probert strike.

Axa move into third place with a slender 1-0 victory over D.R.G. Stapleton. The home side created several good scoring chances in the first 45 minutes but were unable to turn them into goals. The visitors did not trouble the home defence a great deal and it was just a matter of time when the home side would score. The winning strike came in the 75th minute when Matt Shaughnessy’s shot look to be heading for the net but Danny Thorpe stole the show when he rose to head the ball past the keeper.

Thornbury Town took the lead at home to Taverners from a 25 yard free kick from Chris Parry after 12 minutes but Taverners hit back in the 35th minute Craig Mills following up after Mike Thornton’s penalty had been saved by Thornbury keeper Alex Lippiatt. Taverner’s keeper Duane Portlock made to outstanding saves from Steve Alexander and Luke Garbacz to keep Taverners in the game and Dave Woodfield also brought the best out of Alex Lippiatt to deny the visitors striker from giving them the lead. Taverners had a great chance to steel the three point in the 65th minute after they were awarded a second penalty but Woodfield missed the target altogether. One disappointing note for Thornbury was the sending off of Luke Garbacz in the second half.

Hanham Athletic are disappointed that they let in a late goal after coming back from 2-1 down to level the score. They took the lead after 20 minutes in their home fixture with Kings Stanley Darren Burt scoring from close range. Stanley levelled on 40 minutes with a header from Andy Maryon and went into the lead in the 50th minute with a tap in from Lee Pritchard. Miles Allen got Hanham back on level terms with a shot from just inside the box on 75 minutes, but a second strike from Lee Pritchard five minutes later, a shot from the edge of the box gave the visitors the three points.

Action from Kingswood v Tuffley Rovers
Action from Kingswood v Tuffley Rovers

The weather again played its part with Bishops Cleeve Reserves v Rockleaze Rangers and Henbury v Yate Town Reserves having their games postponed due to waterlogged pitches

19th February - Chipping Sodbury close in at the top

Heavy rain in the night put pay to three of the six fixtures due to be played today

The game at Brimscombe & Thrupp against Axa was one of the casualties; the other two were at Rockleaze Rangers and Taverners.

Chipping Sodbury moved up to third in the table with a 4-2 victory over Hanham Athletic with the top three all on 40 points with goal difference separating them.

Chipping Sodbury v Hanham Athletic got of to a flying start with the home side being awarded a free kick wide on the left in the first minute. Liam Barrett took the kick and curled the ball over everyone in the box and with the Hanham defence and goalkeeper rooted to the spot the ball went straight into the net. The next 25 minutes saw both sides competing for possession without being able to create any worthwhile chances. Hanham captain Darren Burt almost levelled with a neat flick that went just the wrong side of the post. In the 28th minute Sodbury went two nil up when Paul Lucas split the Hanham defence to put Luke Meacham clear to place the ball past Dan Fletcher. A couple of minutes later Scott Barclay fouled Lucas on the edge of the box giving Sodbury a chance to increase their lead, Barclay picking up a booking at the same time. Liam Barrett hit the target with the kick but Fletcher diving full length saved the ball from going in. Hanham were reduced to 10 players in the 35th minute when Scott Barclay was booked again and then sent off. In the 38th minute Sodbury went 3-0 up after a dreadful back pass from skipper Darren Burt was intercepted by Danny Coombes to pick his spot before firing past Fletcher. The visitors hit back in the 40th minute when a mistake by the home defence allowed Dan Pearce a free run at goal and he coolly pulled the ball on to his right foot before neatly placing the ball inside the far post giving Chris Simsek no chance.

Action from Chipping Sodbury Town v Hanham Athletic
Action from Chipping Sodbury Town v Hanham Athletic

Sodbury should have made it four in the very first minute of the second half as Danny Coombes found himself clear on goal with just Fletcher to beat but scooped his shot wide of the target. Hanham had made a couple of positional changes at half time and it made a difference to their attacking spirit as they pushed forward they were awarded a penalty in the 53 minute after Lloyd Harding handled in the box. Hanham skipper Darren Burt was given the job of taking the penalty and certainly needed to score to make up for his first half error which cost them a goal. It was no trouble as he sent Simsek the wrong way to close the score to 3-2. The visitors reshuffle upset the home flow that they had in the first half and a desperate handball by Sodbury defender Ben Rhodes led to a free kick on the edge of the box. Liam McCaughey took the kick that looked on target but took a slight deflection that wrong footed the keeper but the ball went just the wrong side of the upright. Lucas had a great chance to make it four for the home side as Fox put him clear on goal but he hit his shot high over the bar. Further despair for Hanham in the 80th minute as they saw their keeper sent off for appearing to throw the ball at the referee after he had collided with a Sodbury forward. A few minutes later the game was settled as a three man move by the home side set up Danny Coombes to net his second and a fourth for Sodbury to win the game

Thornbury Towns recent good run came to a halt with 2-1 reverse at home to Bishops Cleeve Reserves. Matt Morrison had given the home side the lead with a headed goal after just 5 minutes and as town continued to pile on the pressure it was the visitors keeper who kept them in the game with fine saves from Steve Thompson and James Derosa. A Joe Mogg equaliser in the 83 minute and another strike from Ben McGuire in the very last minute stole all three points for the visitors.

Henbury kept a clean sheet at home to Kingswood but netted to goals themselves to take the three points. Adam Rosser latched on to a poor clearance from the Kingswood defence to give Henbury the lead on 25 minutes, but they made sure of the points in the 85th minute when Vincent Coote head home from an Adam Rosser free kick the ball flying through a packed defence before finding the back of the net.

Action from Chipping Sodbury Town v Hanham Athletic
Action from Chipping Sodbury Town v Hanham Athletic

12th February - DRG claim points at Berkeley

Brimscombe & Thrupp go top of the table on goal difference with a home win over Tuffley Rovers as Yate Town Res slip to second spot after being held at home by close rivals Chipping Sodbury Town.

At Station Road Berkeley the home side went down to a second successive home defeat this time at the hands of D.R.G. Stapleton.

It was town who showed early promise and almost took the lead in the 6th minute when Karl Nash struck a fierce shot on target only to see keeper Ashley Bryan push the ball away diving to his right. Berkeley had the ball in the back of the net in the 10th minute but it was ruled out for offside. In the 13th minute Sam Strickland saw Bryan push his header away for a corner. Berkeley were pushing the visitors all the way as Bryan again saved well from Karl Nash. The visitors struggled to get into the Berkeley half for some time but began to come more into the game after that early pressure and against the run of play they took the lead in the 27th minute as Mike Saddler broke through the defence and drove the ball across Prentice into the far corner. A few minutes later Berkeley’s Karl Nash headed over the bar from close range. Berkeley had their best chance of the half just before the break as a free kick from Mike Reece was palmed up in the air by Bryan and Sam Strickland headed against the bar from six yards and the danger was cleared.

Action from Berkeley Town v DRG Stapleton
Action from Berkeley Town v DRG Stapleton

The second half saw a more even contest and the visitors left full back Rob Treanor fired just over in the 57th minute. A couple of minute’s later Saddler was just wide of the target. The visitors defence were not giving anything away as Berkeley pushed forward for the equalising goal, then in the 75th minute a break down the right by Tristan Ferguson and a great pull back across the box found Saddler completely unmarked to drive the ball past Prentice from 12 yards to put the visitors two up. There was very little to report for the last 15 minutes as D.R.G. Stapleton go away delighted with the result.

Brimscombe’s game at home to Tuffley Rovers worked out well in the end but they fell behind after 10 minutes when Warren Mann gave Tuffley the lead from a goalmouth scramble. Tuffley then let the home side back into the game on 25 minutes with a handball decision that gave Mike Beckingham the chance to level the score from the penalty spot. Richard James then missed an opportunity to give Rovers the lead heading wide of the target and it remained 1-1 at the break. The home side took the lead in the 55th minute from a Matt Blythe free kick that he struck into the top corner of the net. Gary Probert’s last ditch tackle then denied Rich James a chance for Rovers to level before another incident in the box allowed Beckingham to net a second from the penalty spot for a 3-1 win.

The scrap at the bottom of the table between Hanham Athletic and Rockleaze Rangers end with a 2-1 win for the home side that moved them up a place in the table. The visitors opened the scoring in the 35th minute with a free kick that was headed back across goal for Nathan Bryer to drive home. The home side were level five minutes later when Liam McCaughey drove home a cross into the box from 12 yards. The winner came in the 70th minute from a long throw into the box and McCaughey latched onto it to slide the ball home and win three valuable points.

Action from Berkeley Town v DRG Stapleton
Action from Berkeley Town v DRG Stapleton

Thornbury Town gain their third successive win with the 1-0 defeat at hosts Ellwood. There were no goals in the first 45 minutes but right on half time Ellwood were reduced to 10 men when Justin Hayward was dismissed. Down to ten men the home side had to swallow another bitter pill when they gave away a penalty in the 55th minute and Chris Parry netted from the spot for Thornbury. Later on Ellwood’s Tim Yemm saved a second penalty from Steve Thompson but they have now slipped into one from the bottom in the table.

Bishops Cleeve Reserves gave away a late goal to concede all the points to Taverners in a game that produced 5 goals. Taverners took an early lead after 3 minutes with a Fran King strike, but the home side levelled 3 minutes before the break when Ben McGuire was put clear on goal. McGuire then gave the home side the lead on 52 minutes with a great shot from the edge of the box. Phil Hall pulled it all square with a second for Taverners seven minutes later then with 10 minute to go Taverners grabbed the winner with a Tom Burridge header from a corner.

Yate Town Reserves slip off the top of the table for the first time in weeks as they are held to a 2-2 draw at home to close rivals Chipping Sodbury Town. Yate had taken a two goal lead the first coming after 34 minutes from Cory Simpson a free kick from the edge of the box that struck the underside of the crossbar on its way into the net. The second on 60 minutes again a free kick this time curled over the wall by Neikell Plummer. Sodbury hit back in the 67th minute with an Alex Fox penalty and Lee Gardiner salvaged a point with a headed goal on 83 minutes.

Kingswood suffered a 3-0 home defeat at the hands of Kings Stanley. Simon Harmer gave Stanley the lead on 8 minutes heading home at the far post. Stanley also struck the crossbar twice in the first 45 minutes but it remained 1-0 until the 85th minute when Andy Maryon broke clear to net the second. Maryon netted a third right on time to give them the three points.

Action from Berkeley Town v DRG Stapleton
Action from Berkeley Town v DRG Stapleton

Patchway Town gained a good victory over local rivals Henbury with two goals in the second half from Mark Palmer. Matt Fowlers cross was driven home by Palmer on 60 minutes and Keith William set Palmer up to run clear for the second in the 80th minute.

5th February - Yate leave it late at Rockleaze

Yate Town Reserves remained leaders after beating bottom club Rockleaze Rangers 3 – 2. Axa move into second spot with a victory at Tuffley Rovers and Brimscombe & Thrupp maintained their challenge with a victory at Henbury.

Leaders Yate Town snatched a 3 – 2 win at bottom club Rockleaze Rangers with a goal in the 87th minute. With a very strong wind having a big effect on the game.

It was Yate who had the advantage of kicking with the wind in the first half, and in the opening stages the visitors pushed Rockleaze back into their own half and took the lead in the 6th minute when Jermaine Wrights cross from the right was headed home on the far post by Ashley Lock. A few minutes later Alex Lambert broke down the right, sent over a great cross which Lock headed goal wards but some how keeper Sam Burgess managed to push the ball around the post.

Rockleaze first attack after 15 minutes saw Joe Sheppard miss a really good chance to level the score. Then Neil Simons broke down the right for the home side and crossed into the box where the Yate defender Tarik Whitclifffe managed to head the ball clear over his own bar.

Burgess was called into action again when Alex Lambert broke clear down the right hit the ball from just outside the edge of the box but it was well saved by the keeper. At the other end Richard Bray made space for himself after rounding several Yate defenders but then blasted the ball over the bar.

In the 37th minute an excellent ball out to the left side found winger Jack Kinnerly who rounded the defender, cut in and fired goal wards the ball taking a slight deflection and ending up in the back of the net.

A minute before half time, Ashley Lock almost made it 3 – 0 from a Jack Kinnerly cross but Burgess saved well.

With the home side now having the wind advantage in the second half, would they be able to get back into this game? and for the first 25 minutes Yate’s defence stood resolute, then out of the blue the ball was swung into Nathan Bryer who nipped between two Yate defenders before sliding the ball past keeper Damien Freeman in the Yate goal.

This lifted the home side and Yate now found themselves on the back foot and in the 81th minute a left footed in-swinging cross from the right by Phil Sergeant was headed across goal by Matt Smith into the far corner to bring the scores level. It looked as though the game would probably end all square when Yate substitute Cory Simpson took the ball past the full back before sending over a low cross come shot which was completely mishandled by Burgess and the ball finished up in the back of the net.

A 78th minute goal from Adam Bates for Axa was enough to earn them a hard fought victory at Tuffley Rovers to move them into second spot. The goal itself stemmed from a accidental slip by Harding in the Tuffley defence and Bates first shot was well saved by Adam Bennett but the ball fell nicely for Bates to just chip it over Bennett as he lay on the ground.

Chipping Sodbury Town were held to a 2 – 2 draw at home to Kingswood. The opening goal came in the 23rd minute when Adam Harber swivelled and struck the ball on the volley and gave Simsec no chance. Sodbury pulled level in the 56th minute when some neat work by Paul Lucas set up Lee Smart to score from close range. Two minutes later Shaun Halford linked up with Lucas for the later to give Sodbury the lead. They should have increased that lead in the 63rd minute when they were awarded a penalty but the Kingswood keeper Chris Fox saved the spot kick. Mid-way through the second half Kingswood were awarded a free-kick on the edge of the box and Adam Eldridge drilled his shot through the wall into the corner of the net. Kingswood were reduced to ten men late on but held on for a point.

Two late goals at Taverners gave the home side a 2 – 0 victory over Ellwood. There had been good chances by both sides during the first half. The nearest being a header by Taverners Dave Woodfield that hit the post right on half time. Ellwood should have taken the lead in the 60th minute when a long ball over the top foxed the home defence but the final effort was hit straight at keeper Jeremy Ward. The breakthrough came in the 83rd minute, when Phil Hall chased down a long ball which put the visitors defence under pressure and an attempted clearance by an Ellwood defender was smashed into his own net. Three minutes later Freddie Latchford squared the ball back for Tom Burridge to strike a tremendous shot from 20 yards into the bottom corner.

Kings Stanley’s poor run of form continues with a 2 – 1 loss at home to Patchway Town. In the 20th minute the home side fell behind when a long ball split the defence and Keith William nipped clear to score. As in most games played today the wind was playing a large part in proceedings and with the wind behind them in the second half Stanley were back in the game when Simon Harmer netted in a goalmouth scramble. The home side then created two real good scoring chances, firstly Ben Newman’s shot was well saved and then Matt Casey shot wide with the goal at his mercy. Patchway grabbed a late winner after being under pressure they broke away and a cross into the box found Luke Drew to net from close range.

In the re-arranged game between Berkeley Town and Thornbury Town the visitors came away with the three points, adding to their success at Yate last week. In a fairly evenly balanced game one goal was enough to settle this encounter and that came in the 58th minute when Steve Alexander’s strike flew under the keeper into the net.

Brimscombe & Thrupp continue their challenge for the title with a 2 – 0 victory at Henbury. Brimscombe got off to a flying start when a cross from Gary Probert was turned into the net by Matt Blythe in the opening minute, but then had to wait to the 77th minute when a cracking 25 yard shot from Mike Beckingham into the top right hand corner of the net secured the points.

In a Mid-table clash at Frenchay between DRG Stapleton and Bishops Cleeve Reserves failed to produce any goals.