league logo

MARCLIFF Gloucestershire County Football League

sponsor logo

Ron's Match Reports

26th November - Bristol Academy win at Henbury

Tuffley Rovers take over top spot with a win at Thornbury Town, whilst Henbury drop to second after being defeated at home by Bristol Academy. Cribbs Friends Life retain third place in the table after trouncing King Stanley and Ellwood keep up their challenge with a win at Taverners.

This game never lived up to expectation and after 24 minutes when Ross Johnson received a straight Red card the game became very fractious. The resulting penalty from the sending off was taken by Scott Wilson for Bristol Academy but the shot was poor and Phil O’Connell diving to his right saved with ease. Chances were limited and although Harry Bartlett had a good shot saved early on for Henbury the next effort which was an Adam Rosser shot in the 30th minute went wide.

Bristol Academy almost took the lead 2 minutes into the second half when Mario Mateus broke down the right but with a clear shot on goal pulled it wide of the far post. In the 55th minute an Alex Ball 30 yard shot was brilliantly diverted onto the post by O’Connell and out for a corner to the Academy from the resulting corner O’Connell was again at his best when he made a brilliant save from Ben White’s shot. The Academy took the lead in the 70th minute when a low ball was knocked into the six yard box from the right, was half stopped by O’Connell but dropped nicely for Scott Wilson to bundle the ball home. Wilson had another chance in the 75th minute when he broke clear down the left but his final shot failed to beat the Henbury keeper. However 5 minutes later Wilson made it 2 – 0 when he drove the ball across the keeper from the left hand side of the pitch into the far corner.

Cribbs Friends Life run riot at King Stanley with a 6 – 0 win, with Simon Bone grabbing a hat-trick. Cribbs made full use of a very strong wind behind them in the first half finding the back of the Stanley net on no less than five occasions. The opening goal came after 3 minutes when Dave Truan’s looping shot deceived Stanley’s keeper Gavin Dean. They went 2 – 0 ahead in the tenth minute when a long throw that caught the wind and took the ball straight to Simon Bone to score from close range. In the 25th minute Dean was called into action again this time pushing the ball on to the post but was unlucky when it rebounded straight to Nick Lloyd to slot home. Five minutes before the break Jack Kinnerly broke down the wing and sent over a great cross to the far post where Simon Bone was waiting to head home. Right on the break the visitors made it 5 – 0 when Bone completed his hat-trick with a 20 yard free-kick that curled over the wall leaving the Stanley keeper stranded.

Although Stanley played much better in the second half they were caught out in the 55th minute when the visitors broke away and Dave Truan rode several tackles before netting number six.

Kingswood recorded their first win for a number of weeks with a 3 – 1 victory over Chipping Sodbury Town. They took the lead in the first minute when Simon Clark rounded two Sodbury defenders before setting up Paul Bleaken whose shot went in off the post. Ben Hopson cancelled out the Kingswood lead right on half time sending them in all square. Kingswood were fortunate to take the lead midway through the second half again Simon Clark was involved his shot hitting the upright and then rebounding on to Sodbury defender Lloyd Harding before entering the Sodbury net. This was certainly an outstanding game for Clark as again in the 89th minute it was his pass that found Frank Hitchings to score the third and final goal.

Tuffley Rovers move into top spot with a slender 1 – 0 win at Thornbury Town. There were numerous chances created throughout the game by both sides. The only goal of the game came in the 89th minute when the visitors were awarded a penalty and Shane Bradley made sure of all three points.

Bishops Cleeve Reserves recorded a convincing 4 – 0 home win against Berkeley Town. The star man being Dan Avery who netted a hat-trick. Avery opened his account after 35 minutes when he headed home a Jamie Lock cross. Cleeve netted a second after 55 minutes when Henry Durant’s 40 yard shot squirmed through the keeper’s hands. Then two late goals by Avery in the 89th and 90th minute the first one a shot from 15 yards and a 25 yard raspier to complete his hat-trick.

Ellwood continue their good run with a 3 – 1 win at Taverners. An own goal from an in-swinging corner after 20 minutes gave Ellwood the lead. Five minutes before the break they went 2 – 0 ahead with a good shot from Jamie Addis that was wind assisted. Brother Daryl Addis put Ellwood firmly in the driving seat with a third goal in the 65th minute. Taverners pulled a goal back ten minutes from time when a free-kick was knocked into the box and headed down for Craig Hughes to tap home.

Yate Town Reserves picked up a value point in a 1 – 1 draw at DRG Stapleton. Jerome Millard had given the home side the lead after 12 minutes and the Yate equalizer was scored by Ibrahima Sarr in the 58th minute.

Hanham Athletic had to settle for a 1 – 1 draw at home to Patchway Town after going behind to a Matt Webb goal on 40 minutes. James Shipman pulled it all square in the 75th minute after a goal mouth scramble.

Rockleaze Rangers went into the break with a 2 – 0 lead over Longlevens but it could have been different if the visitors had scored after 5 minutes but the ball hit the post. Andy Trout then saw his shot well saved by the home keeper but on 20 minutes it was Rangers who took the lead, a corner from the right by Shane Budding was tapped in by centre back Aaron Day. A second goal in the 27th minute for Rangers was set up by Andy Watts who sent the ball through to Cory Simpson who chipped the keeper as he came out. At the start of the second half Longlevens looked the much better side and after 51 minutes pulled a goal back when Rangers Andy Watts lost possession and Ryan Hughes powered through to score. Rockleaze restored their two goal lead after 60 minutes when Shane Budding’s cross deceived the visitor’s keeper and crept in just inside the post. Dave Merrick had a good chance to make it 3 – 2 but a last ditch tackle by Pete Newton-Smith diverted the danger. Longlevens gave themselves a fighting chance in the 70th minute when Mark Moore broke through the home defense and drove the ball home. Rockleaze found themselves down to ten men when James Hall received his marching orders in the 85th minute for a bad tackle.

19th November - Ellwood see off Rockleaze challenge

The top six teams all won whilst five of the six teams at the bottom lost so the table remains almost the same except for Taverners who picked up three points at Berkeley Town.

My visit to the Forest of Dean to watch Ellwood take on visitors Rockleaze Rangers got off to a great start for the home side taking the lead after 4 minutes when Gary Wildin struck the crossbar with a powerful header that bounced down over the line. It was all Ellwood in the first 15 minutes and only two great saves by the visitor’s keeper Nick Adams from Mike Nelsons shot and later a Daryl Addis shot prevented the home side increasing their lead. Mike Nelson also had Adams scurrying across goal but the shot was just wide. The visitors started to settle down and began to put a few moves together and won a free kick on the edge of the box but Ben Lear's effort went way over the bar.

In the 25th minute Nelson broke through the visitors defence down the left but with Daryl Addis screaming for the ball to be crossed he decided to go on his own and lost possession and wasted a good scoring chance. A minute later Rockleaze were level after a good move down the left was finished off by Jack Rivers neatly placing the ball over Tim Yemm's head from a full 20 yards out. The visitors were looking a much better side at this stage and might have taken the lead when Cory Simpson appeared to be brought down by the home keeper but the referee turned their appeals for a penalty away.

Action from Ellwood V Rockleaze Rangers
Action from Ellwood V Rockleaze Rangers

Rockleaze should have taken the lead in the 47th minute when a cross into the box went straight to the unmarked Cory Simpson who from six yards out side footed the ball wide of the goal. A few minutes later Pete Newton-Smith then missed another golden opportunity to put the visitors ahead. Jonathan Bowdler came on for the home side and his cross hit the crossbar and ran across goal where it was knocked back into the middle where Gary Wildin picked up the loose ball and fired it past Adams for a 2-1 lead. Within a minute it was 3-1 Derek Roberts netting his second of the afternoon. Nelson should have made it 4-1 but shot wide of the target. The last 15 minutes became very difficult, Carmelo Micciche player Manager for Rockleaze was sent from the technical area and Byron Ranford was dismissed for the home side.

Henbury remain top after a 3-2 victory at Chipping Sodbury Town. Mike Chilcott gave Sodbury the lead against the run of play in the 38th minute and that was the score at the break. Aaron Rosser leveled the score for the visitors on 51 minutes and then they went ahead in the 73rd minute Eddie Howell netting from the penalty spot. Sodbury pulled it back to 2-2 when Lee Gardiner scored on 76 minutes, but Jack Bebbington sealed the three points for Henbury in the 84th minute.

In the local derby at Gloucester Tuffley Rovers snatched the 3 points in the 70th minute when Shane Bradley was brought down in the box and then netted the resulting penalty. Very little happened in the first 45 minutes but both sides should have made more of the chances they created in the second half. Liam Harding missed a great opportunity for the visitors whilst Ryan Dunn and Ryan Hughes missed good chances for the home side.

Taverners managed to find the back of the net at last. After 3 barren weeks they eventually managed to find the back of the net twice at Berkeley Town to go away with a 2-1 win. A long shot from Tom Palmer was only parried by the Taverners keeper and James Mackie following up gave Berkeley a 1-0 lead in the 44th minute. Freddie Latchford turned in a cross in the 68th minute to pot Taverners level and a shot from the edge of the box in the 76th minute by Russell Chamberlin gave the visitors the three points.

Action from Ellwood V Rockleaze Rangers
Action from Ellwood V Rockleaze Rangers

Cribbs Friends Life fell behind to an Adam Harber goal a curling free kick from just out side the box in the 44th minute, but two minutes into the second half they drew level Simon Bone netting from the penalty spot after Matt Shaughnessy had been impeded in the box. The home side snatched all three points in time added at the end of the game, Matt Shaughnessy rounding several defenders before unleashing a left foot drive from just inside the box that flew into the top corner.

Bristol Academy came up against a strong Bishops Cleeve Reserves side that took the lead three minutes before the break when a long throw was headed on and Nathan Hawley made no mistake. Right on half time a well planned corner found Dominic Stewart to send his header past the keeper from full 15 yards. Chances were far and few between and the game was never going to set the world on fire, although Scott Wilson had a very good chance to snatch the points for the home side but missed the target.

Patchway Town won the local derby against Thornbury Town 4-2 at Scott Park. Patchway were fortunate to take the lead when a Thornbury defender put the ball past his own keeper after 15 minutes. Then 5 minutes later Patchway failed to score from the penalty spot as keeper Rob Dent saved Matt Davis’s shot. The visitors leveled on 25 minutes Luke Garbacz running through to fire a low shot into the corner of the net. Brandon Benjamin put Patchway ahead in the 30th minute picking up a ball that came back off the upright and planting his header past the keeper. Matt Davis made up for his earlier miss, and in the 35th minute turned in a cross from close in. Sub Keith William made it 4-1 in the 75th minute and with just 2 minutes left Dean Morgan got a second for Thornbury Town.

Hanham Athletic v D.R.G. Stapleton. A game that promised little and produced nothing to a crowd of 67 as two mid table teams delivered a very poor performance. Hanham took the lead in the first minute when a long through ball eluded the DRG defence and Lucas Hart struck it home. DRG equalised in the 80th minute from a free kick on the edge of penalty area. Maynard crossed the ball and it was deflected into his own net by Jack Tottle.

Action from Ellwood V Rockleaze Rangers
Action from Ellwood V Rockleaze Rangers

Yate Town Reserves are still struggling at the foot of the table after going down 4-0 at home to Kings Stanley. Yate did get the ball in the Stanley net in the 35th minute but it was disallowed. Stanley took the lead right on half time when Chris Haynes chased a long ball before firing the ball home. Ben Newman made it 2-0 in the 50th minute with a dipping volley and he scored again 15 minutes later with a good shot from the edge of the box. Liam Gale made it 4-0 late on.

12th November - Henbury climb to top of the table

The battle at the top of the table between Henbury & Cribbs Friends Life saw the home side take the three points to go top of the table after leaders Tuffley Rovers went down at home to fourth placed Ellwood.

Henbury took the lead in the 43 minute when a cross to the far post was headed back across goal by Vinny Coote where Ben Sandle was waiting to knock the ball home. Then two minutes into the second half a cross into the box by Jack Mills was volleyed home by Sandle. Within a minute Cribbs hit back, a cross from a corner was headed on to the crossbar and Simon Bone was on hand to head the rebound into the Henbury net. Cribbs applied pressure on the home defence and were unlucky when two of their efforts on goal just shaved the outside of the post.

Action from Taverners V Bristol Academy
Action from Taverners V Bristol Academy

For the second week running leaders Tuffley Rovers suffered a 2-0 defeat this time it was on their own ground at the hands of Ellwood. The home side went a goal down after 4 minutes as Gary Wildin finished off an excellent build up of play. Rovers were having plenty of possession but failed to make a break through and were caught with a second goal from a break away in the 53rd minute Jamie Addis putting the visitors 2-0 up. Rovers piled on the pressure but failed to break down a very stubborn Ellwood defence.

Rockleaze Rangers came crashing down to earth after last weeks resounding win with a 3-2 defeat at home to Berkeley Town. The home side was trailing 2-0 after 33 minutes. The signs were there after 19 minutes when Berkeley’s Tom Andrews headed against the crossbar. Five minutes later Town went ahead when Sam Strickland diverted a Tom Andrews shot past the home keeper. In the 33rd minute Andrews then netted a second to give the visitors a 2-0 lead. Things got even worse for the home side on the hour as Tom Andrews again got on the score sheet lobbing the ball over the home keeper from 35 yards. There was a little light at the end of the tunnel when Ian Burnell was brought down in the box in the 72nd minute and Aaron Day stepped up to convert the penalty. Berkeley were reduced to ten men in the 80th minute when Jamie Mackie was dismissed. Rockleaze were in with a chance in the 90th minute after Shane Budding headed a second, but even with a couple of goal-mouth scrambles in time added they could not find the back of the net again..

Only 13 spectators bothered to watch Longlevens defeat visitors Patchway Town 1-0 with a goal from Mark Moore in the 82nd minute. The build up to the goal was some swift passing out of defence with Moore firing his shot across the keeper into the far corner. Patchway struggled to create much during the game although Matt Davis did strike the upright in the first half and Steve Jenkins missed a good chance for the home side.

Action from Taverners V Bristol Academy
Action from Taverners V Bristol Academy

Kingswood are having one of those seasons and went down 2-1 at home to Kings Stanley. Stanley took an early lead after 5 minutes Chris Haynes turning in Ben Newman’s cross. Adam Harber then headed against the post for the home side but a few minutes later they were level when Harber put Kris Pritlove into score. There were chances missed by both sides but just before the break Stanley took the lead as Ben Newman picked up Matt Casey’s pass turned in the box and drove the ball home. Both sides created chances in the second half but the score remained the same.

It took Bishops Cleeve Reserves well into the second half to open the scoring when Lock rounded his marker before squaring the ball back to the penalty spot where Mike Sholly was waiting to pounce giving the Sodbury keeper no chance. They were down to 10 men after 80 minutes as Nick Rhodes was dismissed for a bad tackle his second booking of the game. Cleeve did not seem to be affected by the sending off and scored again in the 85th minute with some neat inter passing between Midwinter and Gittings with Gittings finding the back of the net.

Hanham Athletic pulled themselves up to the mid table position with a 3-1 win at home to Yate Town Reserves. 16 year old George Cryer opened the scoring for Hanham after 10 minutes and they went 2-0 up on the half hour as James Shipman tuned in a cross into the box. Ten minutes later Shipman netted a second from just inside the box to send the home side into the break with a 3-0 lead. Yate did manage to grab a consolation goal in the 80th minute through Paul Dempsey.

Action from Taverners V Bristol Academy
Action from Taverners V Bristol Academy

A goal from Thornbury Town’s Jack Warren in the 30th minute was enough to take the 3 points at D.R.G. Stapleton. The build up to the goal was a cross into the box that the home keeper failed to take cleanly and Warren bundled the ball into the net. For the home side Matt Maynard went close with a free kick and Ben Burrell’s effort struck the upright. Joe Galsworthy did get the ball into the net for the home side but it was ruled out for handball. Ben Burrell also had a good chance to level but shot wide of the goal.

The Les James League Cup 2nd round game at Nailsworth between Taverners and Bristol Academy never really got going with both sides struggling to create many chances. The first effort on goal never came until the 26th minute when visitor’s striker Scott Wilson was through on goal but left it to late to shoot and the ball was deflected away. At the other end Taverners forced the first corner that saw Hyslop punching the ball away out of the danger area. The deadlock was broken in the 34th minute as Alex Ball burst forward from mid-field the ball then travelled across goal several times before falling nicely for Scott Wilson to drive into the net. Within minute Taverners almost leveled as Mark Harsant’s goal-bound header was brilliantly pushed away by Hyslop.

Early in the second half Wilson broke down the left got behind the home defence but his delivery into the box was poor and the ball was easily cleared. At the other end Freddie Latchford had a clear sight on goal but hit his shot just wide. Rich Davis then saw his free kick fly just wide of the Academy upright. With just a few minutes left the visitors were very unlucky not to have scored a second as the ball was headed off the line.

Bristol Academy will now face Longlevens in the Semi-final later in the season.

Action from Taverners V Bristol Academy
Action from Taverners V Bristol Academy

5th November - Bishops Cleeve hold Cribbs

No changes at the top of the table as all three teams drop points. There were several surprise results. Leaders Tuffley Rovers lose away to Berkeley Town whilst Bristol Academy are well beaten at home by Rockleaze Rangers. Cribbs Friends Life are also held to a draw at home by Bishops Cleeve Reserves.

Bishops Cleeve Reserves bounced back from their heavy defeat at home last week to take a well deserved point at Cribbs Friends Life. The visitors were twice in front in this well contested game but the home side hit back twice to gain a point. Cleeve went ahead in the 4th minute as Pat Sayce broke down the right and sent over a really hard cross that Stuart Midwinter turned into the net from 8 yards. A couple of minutes later home keeper Matt Turner prevented the visitors going two up with a great save from a Midwinter shot. The home side hit back and put the visitors defence under some considerable pressure but they held out. In the 12th minute Turner turned Pat Sayce’s goal-bound shot over the bar. Justin Cattle should have leveled the score on 22 minutes, but blasted his shot well wide of the target. Cribbs drew level in the 25th minute when Henry Durrant made a mistake in the box the referee pointing straight to the spot. Justin Cattle gave Dan Greenhouse no chance with the penalty. A minute before the break Cleeve went ahead again after the ball had been played back and forth across goal eventually dropping nicely for Ben Maguire to hammer home.

Action from Cribbs Friends Life V Bishops Cleeve Reserves
Action from Cribbs Friends Life V Bishops Cleeve Reserves

The visitors always looked sharp on the break but also looked a little vulnerable in defence and that showed in the 59th minute as Justin Cattle split the defence with a cross that was turned into the Cleeve goal by Dominic Graffagnino. Simon Bone was off target as he was put clear on goal that would have given the home side the lead in the 81st minute then a few minutes later Bone went very close when he headed a Matt Shaughnessy cross just over the bar. At the other end Midwinter had a good chance to win the game for Cleeve but failed to connect properly and the shot went straight to Turner. In time added Cleeve keeper Dan Greenhouse somehow miraculously kept three very close range shots from the home side out of his net.

One of the shocks of the day was the 4-1 home defeat of Bristol Academy by Rockleaze Rangers. The visitors went ahead after 5 minutes when Ben White brought down a visitors player and Aaron Day made no mistake from the spot. Rockleaze took a 2-0 lead in the 20th minute when home keeper Matt Hyslop punched the ball into his own net from a corner. The visitors were 3-0 up after 22 minutes as Jack Rivers headed home a Phil Serjeant cross. Scott Wilson reduced the arrears from the penalty spot after 55 minutes, but Cory Simpson nutmeged a home defender before driving an unstoppable 25 yard shot past Hyslop in the 78th minute.

Berkeley Town upset the form book with a 2-0 win over league leaders Tuffley Rovers. Both teams had chances cleared off the line in the first half but the deadlock was not broken until the 65th minute when James Mackie gave the home side the lead with a shot from the edge of the box. Rovers luck was out as the struck the woodwork on three occasions and then saw a second goal from Berkeley’s Tom Palmer following up some excellent work from Sam Strickland.

Action from Cribbs Friends Life V Bishops Cleeve Reserves
Action from Cribbs Friends Life V Bishops Cleeve Reserves

Ellwood move up to fourth place in the table with a 1-0 defeat over Patchway Town. The only goal of the game came after 40 minutes following a good move between the Addis brothers Chris and Daryl with Daryl sending over a cross for Mike Nelson to turn into the net.

Second place Henbury were held to a 1-1 draw at Kings Stanley Eddie Howell gave them the lead on 20 minutes with a very well executed over head kick after the ball had been headed back across goal. Earlier Henbury had shaved the post with a tremendous drive and Stanley’s Danny Stevens saw his shot pushed over the bar by the Henbury keeper. Stanley put a lot more effort into the second half and Matt Casey went close with a header that was turned away by the visitor’s keeper and then Sam Prior saw his 25 yard shot go just wide. Stanley grabbed a point in the 90th minute as Matt Casey put Tim Williams clear to slide the ball into the net.

Chipping Sodbury Town grabbed a much needed three points with a slender 1-0 win over Taverners. Taverners who slipped to a second successive defeat were undone by a strike from Jon Williams in the 44th minute.

Action from Cribbs Friends Life V Bishops Cleeve Reserves
Action from Cribbs Friends Life V Bishops Cleeve Reserves

Longlevens hit back to take a point in time added at the end of the game in their home fixture with D.R.G. Stapleton No goals in the first 45 minutes then Ben Burrell was put clear to race through to give the visitors the lead in the 60th minute. The goal that gave the home side a point came from Substitute Mark Moore who managed to get behind the visitors defence and slotted the ball past the advancing keeper.