league logo

MARCLIFF Gloucestershire County Football League

sponsor logo

Ron's Match Reports

12thMay - Cribbs Friends Life win Les James Les League Cup to complete double

After having to postpone this final two weeks ago due to dreadful weather conditions, today’s final of the Les James League Cup sponsored by Braley Business Systems was played in glorious sunshine at Kingswood A.F.C.

Cribbs having clinched the League Championship in mid April were looking to complete the double by adding the Les James League Cup to their silverware.

This they did in style and became the first Club to complete the double of both League Champions and League Cup winners.

Cribbs Friends Life
Cribbs Friends Life - Gloucestershire County Football League Les James League Cup Winners 2011/12
Image Courtesy Hilary Issacs

Cribbs were much the better side throughout and forced a series of corner after just 5 minutes which petered out with a tame shot straight at Longlevens keeper Lee Martin and a couple of minutes later a cross in from the left found the unmarked Nick Lloyd who saw his header turned around the post by Martin.

Cribbs took the lead in the 9th minute from a free kick taken by Dominic Graffagnino out on the left, the cross found Lloyd again unmarked and he coolly slotted the ball past Martin.

Longlevens Mark Moore made a good run into the box but the ball was knocked away for a corner which resulted in a clearance by the Cribbs defence.

Cribbs went two ahead in the 15th minute when a long ball over the Longlevens defence caught them out and Simon Bone sprung the offside to run clear and lob the ball over Martin from 25 yards,.

Action from League Cup Final
Action from the Les James League Cup Final - Sponsored by Braley Business Systems
Image Courtesy Hilary Issacs

Goal number three for Cribbs after 22 minutes was an awful mistake by the Longlevens defence, what should have been a comfortable clearance turned into a nightmare as the wrong option was chosen and a sloppy back pass to Martin was closed down very quickly by Nick Lloyd who won the 50/50 tackle with the keeper and slotted the ball home into an empty net.

Longlevens brought on Andy Trout in the 36th minute to try and lift the spirit of his side but it was to no avail as Cribbs continued to control the game.

A minute before the break Cribbs almost scored again as Simon Bones curling shot went just over the bar.

Two minutes into the second half Cribbs scored again, another break down the right by Dominic Graffagnino who cut inside and found Simon Bone with a simple pass that was squared across for Nick Lloyd to drive home.

Cribbs should have scored again in the 54th minute when Simon Bone was put clear of the Longlevens defence the took to long to make up his mind what he was going to do and that allowed keeper Martin to narrow the angle and Bone shot wide of the far post.

Longlevens attacks on the Cribbs goal were very spasmodic and although they managed to force a corner in the 57th minute the final shot was straight at Turner in the Cribbs goal.

Action from League Cup Final
Action from the Les James League Cup Final - Sponsored by Braley Business Systems
Image Courtesy Hilary Issacs

A minute later Andy Trout hit a free kick just outside the box way over the bar.

Andy Trout had a clear shot on goal from the edge of the box in the 63rd minute but fired well wide of the target.

A couple of minutes later Longlevens created space down the left and a low cross into the Cribbs box should have brought them a goal but no one was able to get that final touch.

Cribbs domination of the game saw a fifth goal in the 69th minute when Simon Bone hammered the ball into the roof of the net from a low cross into the box.

Lloyd could well have made it six in the 71st minute when he created space in the Longlevens box but then fired well over the bar.

Longlevens did eventually get the ball into the net in the 73rd minute but it was disallowed for an infringement on a Cribbs defender.

Action from League Cup Final
Action from the Les James League Cup Final - Sponsored by Braley Business Systems
Image Courtesy Hilary Issacs

Cribbs brought on all three substitutes over the course of the next 5 minutes Jack Kinnerly replacing Tony Beecham, Justin Cattle replacing Nick Lloyd and Tom Burns replacing Simon Bone. In a game that was played in a very good spirit the only caution came in the 84th minute as Dominic Graffagnino went into the book for a bad tackle.

Longlevens saw Ryan Hughes’s effort on goal go just wide of the post in the 87th minute and that was the end of any real action at either end.

We all wish Cribbs Friends Life well in their quest to play in the Toolstation Western League next season.

28th April - Yate and Kingswood wrap up league season with wins

The final two league fixtures were completed today. Both games produced goals with both the away teams winning by the odd goal.

At Henbury the players were presented with their runners-up trophies before the start of the game by Chairman of the League Bob Stewart.

The game itself produced seven goals with Yate Town Reserves the visitors winning 4-3. Henbury who fielded a much changed side because of injury, work commitments and suspensions were the first to create a goal-scoring chance after 5 minutes when James Loud had a clear shot on goal but hit it straight at keeper Damien Freeman. Gary Clark then hit a 25 yard drive which again went straight to the visitor’s keeper. Yate first effort on goal came in the 23rd minute Shaun Heal fouled Tristan Ferguson 25 yards out and got his name into the referee’s book for the challenge. From the resulting free-kick Ibrahim Sarre’s low drive was brilliantly turned around the post by the Henbury keeper Kyle Porter. Henbury went ahead in the 34th minute when skipper Eddie Howell netting from the penalty spot a cool shot down the middle of the goal as Freeman dived to his right and this after Aaron Anglin had been brought down in the box.

The second half started with a goal from Yate in the very first minute Tristan Ferguson netting the first of his three goals rising at the far post to head home. Henbury should have retaken the lead in the 49th minute when Aaron Anglin broke down the right sent over a superb low cross to the far post where Sam Brassington was unmarked but he hit the upright from just 4 yards out. That miss turned out to be costly as Yate took the lead in the 53rd minute when Lewis Meese latched on to a loose ball after a mistake in the home defence and drove the ball past Porter. A couple of minutes later Yate almost increased their lead as Jack Parkers left foot volley skimmed just past the upright. Henbury leveled the score in the 60th minute after Sam Brassington’s shot was deflected over the bar for a corner. The resulting corners came over from the right and Jack Bebbington threw himself full length to head the ball into the roof of the Yate net. Within a minute Yate were back in front as Tristan Ferguson headed home from a corner. Henbury hit back a couple of minutes later after forcing several corners they were on level terms when Eddie Howell headed home his second of the afternoon. Yate got their fourth and what turned out to be the winner in the 75th minute when Substitute Josh Landsdown sent over a great cross from the left and Tristan Ferguson netted a superb diving header that flew in across the keeper. Henbury’s last chance to gain a draw came in the 83rd minute after Abdi Gure got cautioned for a foul 30 yards out and right in the centre of the goal, but the resulting free-kick from James Loud hit the wall and was cleared away to safety. A good finish to the season, with plenty of entertainment from both sides, especially in the second half.

In the other fixture played today Bishops Cleeve Reserves went down 3-2 at home to Kingswood. It was the home side that took the lead after 20 minutes with a Nick Rhodes strike. Kingswood hit back in the 36th minute as Frank Hitchings scored the first of his brace for the afternoon. A Ben Maguire penalty five minutes before half time restored the lead for the home side. Five minutes into the second half Kingswood drew level again this time it was Gavin Dibden who got himself on the score sheet. Kingswood then went on to win the game when Frank Hitchings netted his second on 58 minutes and moved them up a few more places in the table.

All fingers are crossed that the weather that is forecast for tomorrow does not materialize and that the Final of the Les James League Cup will go ahead as planned at Kingswood with a 3.00pm kick-off.

21st April - Yate smash dozen past Ellwood

With the season coming to an end and the positions at the top of the table already decided there were a couple of games at the bottom end of the table that could decide who would finish in the second relegation position above Chipping Sodbury Town.

Yate Town Reserves needed a point at the start of the day to make sure they finished out of danger zone. They did it in style with a thumping 12-1 win at home to Ellwood. Ellwood turned up with a much depleted team and the writing was on the wall very early on. Yate opened the scoring in the 15th minute when Scott Thomas headed home from a free kick Ryan Dunn netted the second on 35 minutes with a shot from the edge of the box. There was a glimmer of hope for the visitors when Byron Ranford pulled a goal back but it was short lived as Yate went further ahead through Jake Cox. Just before the break Tristan Ferguson headed home number four from a free kick. Three minutes into the second half Scott Cousins made it 5-1 and within a minute it was six as Jake Cox netted his second. An own goal from Derek Roberts made it 7-1 and then Elwood were reduced to ten men after a player was sent off for a reckless tackle. The visitors were over whelmed as Yate continued to drive forward and Scott Cousins made it 8-1 and a double strike from Ashley Hawkins took the score to double figures. Further strikes from Scott Thomas and Jake Cox completing his hat-trick made it a thoroughly miserable afternoon for Ellwood.

Patchway Town finished in fourth place in the table with a 1-0 success at Berkeley Town. In a game that produced very few chances throughout the match was decided in the 10th minute with a cross come shot from Matt Davies.

Chipping Sodbury Town v Rockleaze Rangers, a crowd of 32 braved the rain showers to watch this game upon which the future of one team in particular depended. Both sides began very nervously, but the home side settled more quickly & within 2 minutes Town missed an open chance from 2 yards, prodding the ball wide of a gaping net. Chipping Sodbury threatened again after 5 minutes, when a though ball split the visitors defence, but was again a wasted opportunity. It took 15 minutes for Rangers to fashion their first attempt on goal with a shot from distance. Ranger’s next attempt came after 25 minutes when Ian Burnell attempted to convert a potential opportunity - with the inevitable outcome. It took until 40 minutes for first meaningful attempt on target from the home side - but visiting 'keeper was hardly troubled. The teams completed the half even at 0-0, Town marginally the better side.

After 60 minutes two consecutive corners by the home side were diverted toward Rangers goal by impressive home skipper Lloyd Harding, but neither troubled the keeper. With 70 minutes gone Rangers staged a rare attack, but their attempt only resulted in a very near miss. The excitement arrived in last 15 minutes of the game. First, a sweeping move by Town resulted in a cross from the left finding Danny Coombes in space. He controlled the ball & slotted past visiting keeper. Then after 85 minutes an altercation resulted in dismissal of two players:- Town player Mark Totterdell was red carded for retaliation & was joined for an early bath by Cory Simpson from Rockleaze who became involved unnecessarily. The game then ran out of steam & final result condemned Town to bottom spot in the Competition & Rangers to next bottom. Both Clubs will now be awaiting decisions on what the future holds for next season.

Longlevens completed their first season in the Gloucestershire County Football League with a 2-1 win at home to Hanham Athletic; It means that they will finish in mid-table with 45 points. In the 7th minute Ryan Hughes sent a good cross into the box that the Hanham defence failed to deal with and Craig Martin was on hand to drive the ball home from 8 yards. Hanham leveled on 14 minutes after some good play down the right by Spencer Collingwood and a good low cross into the box where James Shipman was waiting to side foot home from close range. Ryan Hughes missed a couple of good chances to put the home side in front one of which struck the crossbar. Right on half time the home side did take the lead. Brad Martin sent over a good in-swinging cross and Ryan Dunn sent a powerful header into the net at the near post. In the second half Hanham’s James Shipman stuck the crossbar and Longlevens had a third goal disallowed, Ryan Dunn got the ball in the back of the net but the referee had spotted an infringement by Scott Goodhall.

Taverners and Kings Stanley finished their season with a 1-1 draw at Nailsworth. Kings Stanley started the brighter of the two teams, but in the 20th minute the home side had Josh Jones dismissed for a reckless challenge. Five minutes later Stanley took the lead. There was a free kick out on the left side of the park that was sent into the box and was flicked onto the far post where Luke Barstow was waiting to pounce volleying the ball home. Taverners almost went further behind a few minutes later but for a last ditch clearance of the line by Matt Spring. The home side had a great chance to level in the 42nd minute as Tom Burridge broke free and headed for goal but somehow Stanley defender Danny Stephens managed to get back and nick the ball away. Taverners leveled the score on 55 minutes as the ball was cut back to the edge of the box from a good move down the left and Ben Court drove a sweet low shot into the corner of the net. Rory Gardiner could have made it 2-1 to the home side but completely misjudged the flight of the ball from a cross into the box. Home keeper Jeremy Ward brought of a great save to deny Stanley sneaking the points near the end.

14th April - Cribbs crowned champions

Cribbs Friends Life
Cribbs Friends Life - Davis Wilson Homes Gloucestershire County Football League Champions 2011/12
Image Courtesy Peter Langley

Cribbs Friends Life are the new champions of the David Wilson Homes Gloucestershire County Football League after their 1- 0 win at Berkeley Town.

Henbury who were the only team that could catch them were held to 3-3 draw at Kingswood.

At the bottom of the table Chipping Sodbury Town have finished rock bottom but there are four teams battling to stay away from the second relegation position, Yate Town Reserves on 36 points have two remaining fixtures, Berkeley Town on 35 points also have two remaining fixtures whilst Rockleaze Rangers who are also on 35 points have just one game to play and Thornbury Town who are on 36 points have finished their fixtures.

This fixture between Berkeley Town and Cribbs Friends Life had all the hallmarks of a typical mid-table end of season fixture instead of the potential Championship winning match that it was. There was plenty of effort from both sides but most of the play was contained in the middle of the park with very few chances created. One moment of magic after 13 minutes by the leagues leading goal-scorer Simon Bone controlling the ball 30 yards out danced past two of the Berkeley defenders before unleashing a left foot shot from the edge of the box that gave home keeper Ewan Prentice no chance. Berkeley’s only effort on goal after 16 minutes should have seen them on level terms as James Mackie created space down the left and sent in a low cross to the near post where Sam Strickland had moved into position just six yards out but fired wide of the target. With neither side looking like scoring again in the first 45 minutes, Cribbs went into the break with a slender 1 – 0 lead.

Action from Berkeley Town V Cribbs Friends Life
Action from Berkeley Town V Cribbs Friends Life
Image Courtesy Peter Langley

The second half was almost a carbon copy of the first 45 minutes with only one really good chance created by Cribbs in the 63rd minute when Ryan McKillop picked up the ball 40 yards out and headed straight for goal and with just Prentice to beat he fired wide of the target. Both sides made several substitutions but this had no impact on the game as it continued to remain a midfield battle.

After the match had been completed the championship cup and trophies’ were presented to the winners by the Gloucestershire County Football League Chairman Bob Stewart.

Henbury’s 3-3 draw at Kingswood has secured them runners up position in the League and almost certainly will guarantee Kingswood a place in the County League next season. The home side took the lead after 15 minutes from the penalty spot after Gavin Dibden was clear through on goal and was brought down by Ralph Timms who was shown a straight red card, Dibden made no mistake from the spot. Kingswood went further ahead after 28 minutes when some good work from Gavin Dibden resulted in him sending Paul Bleaken clear on goal to score. Although Henbury were down to 10 men they got themselves back in the game after 38 minutes when Sam Brassington scored from close range. Ten minutes into the second half Henbury were on level terms after some awful defending by the home side allowed the visitors skipper Eddie Howells to score from 5 yards. The home side was shocked to go 3-2 behind after another bad defensive mistake allowed Aaron Anglin to net number three. The home side salvaged a point in the 86th minute with a close range effort from Ryan Mudd.

Patchway Town moved into fourth place in the table leap frogging Ellwood with a 2-0 victory over Bristol Academy. A goalless first half with the home side looking the better team, they eventually opened the scoring in the 65th minute when Matt Davies anticipated a back pass to the keeper and got to the ball first and squared it across goal for Chris Chinnick to score into an empty net. A second goal for the home side in the 76th minute was a little fortunate as Matt Davies hit Brad Harris’s cross goal wards and although it lacked pace the keeper misjudged it and it went under his body into the net.

Action from Berkeley Town V Cribbs Friends Life
Action from Berkeley Town V Cribbs Friends Life
Image Courtesy Peter Langley

DRG Stapleton’s penultimate game at home resulted in a 2-0 victory over Taverners. It was a goal-less first half with DRG probably the better side. The home side opened the scoring in the 69th minute when a left sided cross from Fabian McCarthy beat keeper Jeremy Wards attempt to collect and Ben Burrell was on hand to head home. DRG increased their lead in the 83rd minute when substitute Chris Douglas latched onto a loose ball 20 yards out, took a touch and coolly lifted the ball over the keeper into the net. Taverners had created very few chances but Tom Burridge should have pulled a goal back in the 84th minute but missed the target.

Rockleaze Rangers missed an opportunity to escape the danger area at the bottom of the table when they were beaten at home 3-1 by Kings Stanley. Stanley took the lead after 7 minutes when a cross from the right was volleyed home by Nick Humphries. Stanley took a 2-0 lead in the 48th minute when Rockleaze lost possession near the edge of the box and Ben Newman drilled the ball home from the edge of the box. A third goal in the 85th minute from Andy Maryon firing home in the top corner after a goal-mouth scramble. Rockleaze did manage a consolation goal three minutes from the end, Cory Simpson tapping the ball into an empty net from a Rich Bray cross.

Action from Berkeley Town V Cribbs Friends Life
Action from Berkeley Town V Cribbs Friends Life
Image Courtesy Peter Langley

Hanham Athletic concluded their home fixtures with a 1-1 draw against Ellwood. The home side took the lead in the 10th minute after a good build up in the box and James Shipman found the space to fire into the far corner. The visitors grabbed a point in the 55th minute when Matt Addis stabbed the ball home from 6 yards after a melee in the box.

Thornbury Town finished their season with a 0-0 draw at home to Longlevens. It still see’s them in a perilous position if the teams around them pick up points in their last games. The first 20 minutes of this game the home side looked really nervous with Longlevens the more sharper of the two teams. The best chance of the half fell to the home side when an attempted header from a Longlevens defender almost crept in but landed on the roof of the net. A corner from Longlevens in the 88th minute when their keeper came forward to try and snatch a goal nearly backfired as the corner was cleared by Thornbury and a speculative shot from inside their own half almost caught the visitors out but the goal bound effort was eventually cleared off the line.

7th April - Patchway dent Henburys title chance

The seven fixtures played today saw six clubs record away wins.

The tussle at the top of the table between Henbury and Cribbs Friends life has swung towards the latter as they record a win at Rockleaze Rangers whilst henbury went down at home to Patchway Town. This puts Cribbs Friends Life 5 points clear of Henbury with both Clubs having played 32 games. A point next Saturday at Berkeley will see Cribbs Friends Life become the new Champion’s of the League. and although Henbury could catch them if they win both their remaining games and Cribbs slip up in their last two fixture Cribbs have a far superior goal difference and would still become Champions.

Our visit to Arnell Drive to watch the fixture between Henbury and Patchway Town was a huge disappointment for the home side as they went down 1-0 to a very well organized and resilient Patchway Town.

For the first 14 minutes of this game both teams failed to gain control but the first effort on goal came from the visitors Patchway Town when Matt Tovey’s shot from just on the edge of the box went over the bar. A couple of minutes later Tovey was just wide with a shot after Jordan Yeo had crossed into the Henbury box. The visitors had the edge and it took a Jack Bebbington clearance off the line to deny them going ahead. In the 31st minute Joe Fifield cleared another goal bound shot off the line for Henbury. It was not until the 37th minute of the game that Henbury had their first shot on goal an effort by Gary Clark that went over the bar. A few minutes later the same player was just wide with a shot at the Patchway goal. Henbury were awarded a free kick about 25 yards out and it was left for Adam Rosser to drive a hard low shot on goal that was well covered by Martyn Alford in the Patchway goal.

Action from Henbury V Patchway Town
Action from Henbury V Patchway Town

Henbury started the better side in the second half and forced several corners that were well defended by the visitors. Another free-kick on the edge of the box in the 58th minute for Henbury saw Patchway keeper Martyn Alford diving low to keep out a tremendous low shot from Adam Rosser and the ball was scrambled away with Eddie Howell striking the rebound that took a deflection as it flew over the bar for a corner. From the corner Patchway broke into the Henbury box and after the first attempt on goal was blocked the second attempt was handled on the line by Joe Fifield leaving the Match Official no option but to award a penalty to Patchway and then send Fifield off. Matt Davies took the kick and sent Phil O’Connell the wrong way to put them into the lead. Jordan Yeo cut into the box from the right and was unlucky as his goal-bound effort was cut out by Gary Clark who almost put the ball into his own net. Henbury, all though down to ten men gathered them selves together and for the last 15 minutes piled the pressure on the visitors winning several free kicks on the way. The Patchway team are a very good unit and work very hard at their game and the home side were finding it difficult to break through and a break away for the visitors in the 83rd minute should have sealed the game for Patchway as a low cross from the right found Matt Davies with the goal at his mercy but he fired over the bar from just 8 yards. This loss by Henbury has severely dented their chance of winning the title.

Cribbs Friends Life have the Championship almost in their hands after a 3-1 win at Rockleaze Rangers. It was the home side who opened the scoring after just 5 minutes when Pete Newton-Smith scored from a corner. Cribbs leveled on 25 minutes with a left footed drive from Dominic Graffagnino. Nick Lloyd put the visitors ahead in the 50th minute volleying home from the edge of the box. Then with just 5 minutes to go Lloyd scored his second with a very neat lob over the home keeper.

Chipping Sodbury Town missed a crucial penalty after 30 minutes as the Longlevens keeper saved well from Jimmy Potts spot kick. Sodbury who had been the better side in the first 45 minutes but crumbled in the second half and conceded five goals. Ryan Hughes was the flavor of the day for the visitors as he netted a hat-trick. The first came after 55 minutes when he latched on to a poor pass back from Mark Totterdale. Then Craig Martin made it 2-0 in the 63rd minute with a shot from the edge of the box. Ryan Hughes chipped in with his second after a goalmouth scramble and then Sodbury went 4-0 down when they conceded an own goal. Hughes completed his hat-trick in the 88th minute after another scramble in the six yard box.

Action from Henbury V Patchway Town
Action from Henbury V Patchway Town

Ellwood’s last home game of the season will be one to forget as they went down 5-0 to D.R.G. Stapleton. This was probably their worst game of the season but nothing should be taken away from the visitors who scored goals at regular intervals throughout the game. Ben Burrell gave them the lead followed by a strike from Hannin Romadine. Fabian McCarthy made it three and then Ashley Hudd got on the score sheet. To cap it all for the home side Ryan Pendry scored the fifth and final goal for the visitors when he turned the ball into his own net.

Yate Town Reserves continued their climb up the table with a 3-0 win at struggling Berkeley Town. The visitor’s went ahead a minute before the break Ibrahima Sarre netting from the penalty spot after Nathan Freeman had handled. Jack Parker made it 2-0 in the 72nd minute following up a shot from Ashley Hawkins that had been well saved by the home keeper but he was unable to hang onto the ball. In the 88th minute Jack Parker broke clear of the home defence and then squared the ball to Josh Landsdown to net number three for Yate.

Thornbury Town scrapped home with a 1-0 victory over Taverners to ease the worry of finishing in a relegation spot. There were several chance created in the first half by both sides but neither were able to find the back of the net. Both Danny Thompson and Tom Webb sent dangerous crosses into the box but Thornbury were unable to capitalise. Steve Alexander broke clear but saw his shot saved by the legs of keeper Jeremy Ward. Taverner’s only real chance of the half was a fine effort from Matt Spring that went just the wrong side of the post. Town thought they had taken the lead in the 65th minute as Tom Webb and Scott Reeves weaved their magic down the right side before Reeves eventually lobbed the ball goal-wards and then watched as Taverners keeper Jeremy Ward somehow tip the ball away. The winning goal came in the 70th minute when Webb drove into the box but was well tackled, and the ball fell nicely for Dean Morgan to curl his shot past Ward into the bottom corner from just outside the box. Alexander had another chance but was again thwarted by Ward but somehow Thornbury hung on to their slender lead until the end.

Action from Henbury V Patchway Town
Action from Henbury V Patchway Town

Hanham Athletic had the biggest crowd of the day 98 to watch then go down 3-1 to visitors Kings Stanley. Ben Newman gave Stanley the lead after 10 minutes with a shot from just inside the box. The home side hit back on the half hour when Callum Gardiner turned in a low cross into the box. Stanley retook the lead in the 50th minute with a goal from Dan Stephens and a couple of minutes later made it 3-1 with an Andy Maryon strike.