league logo

MARCLIFF Gloucestershire County Football League

sponsor logo

Ron's Match Reports

26th October 2013 - Thornbury gain first win of season

Big news of the day was the first win of the season for Thornbury Town a 4-1 success at home to Bristol Academy. Berkeley Town, who were not in action today drop to the bottom of the table.

Longlevens move further ahead at the top – with a 2-1 win over Kingswood. Gala Wilton were held to a goalless draw at home by Frampton United.

Thornbury Town’s performances of late have improved dramatically and it was only a matter of when they would start to pick up points. A draw at Kings Stanley last week and this performance today has netted them four points. Thornbury opened the brighter of the two teams and visitor’s keeper Josh Lax managed to push Steve Thompsons shot away for a corner on 3 minutes. Three minutes later the keeper had to be at his best again as he palmed Dan Thompson’s shot away for a second corner. The visitors struggled to create any clear cut chances and their first attempt on goal on 13 minutes went well wide of the target. Thornbury took the lead on 15 minutes from a corner knocked over to the far post from the left - it was headed back to Danny Thompson on the edge of the box to fire the ball past Lax. For the next 30 minutes both sides had plenty of possession but no further chances materialised.

Straight from the kick off in the second half the Academy pushed forward and were rewarded almost immediately when Thornbury looked disorganised for that split second and Tyler Finch-Vassell levelled the score from the edge of the box. The home side never panicked and hit back in the 50th minute with a second goal from Danny Thompson. The ball was crossed into the edge of the box where it was headed on straight to Thompson who had a clear run on goal and coolly fired the ball past Lax. Within a minute the home side were 3-1 up as Danny Thompson broke clear down the right sent in a low cross to the far post where it was met by Luke Franklin to hammer home. Thornbury who now had a two goal cushion looked comfortable and a Steve Thompson free kick from 20 yards was really well saved by Lax. Dan Thompson almost grabbed his hat-trick on 70 minutes with a low drive that had Lax diving full length but the ball went just wide of the upright. The Academy struggled to keep possession although they looked good when they had the ball they kept giving it away whenever they approached the box. The home side rounded the scoring off in time added at the end with a great strike from young substitute Josh Pirie.

Henbury found themselves trailing 3-0 after 30 minutes in their home fixture with Hanham Athletic. The visitors had been on a run of bad results for the last few weeks so this was a pleasant surprise to get a start like this. The opener came on 20 minutes from a free kick that was pumped into the Henbury box – punched into the air by the home keeper and centre back Jack Tottle headed home. A second 3 minutes later from a break down the right and a cross into the box was swept home by James Shipman. The home side had the chance to reduce the arrears on 25 minutes from the penalty spot after Luke Cox was brought down - but Aaron Anglin’s spot kick was well saved by the visitor’s keeper. The visitors then added a third on 30 minutes with another cross in from the right that was bundled home by Tolo Taylor. The home side hit back in then 55th minute with a superb strike from the edge of the box by Gary Clarke. A Ben Sandle 25 yard screamer pulled it back to 3-2 on 62 minutes and at this point the home side were getting the upper hand. Jack Bebbington went close on a couple of occasions but the visitors held on for the win.

Rockleaze Rangers went down 2-1 at home to Bishops Cleeve Reserves but missed chances by the home side have cost them the game. Ed Freeman missed a good chance on 15 minutes blasting the ball over the top after 23 minutes, although they did take the lead on 36 minutes from a looping header from Theo Coombs. A thunderous header from James Pickup on 41 minutes brought the scores level at the break. 5 minutes into the second half the visitor’s got their noses in front with a second powerful header from James Pickup. In the 70th minute Nathan Bryer missed an open goal and the same player had his diving header brilliantly saved by the visitor’s keeper Dan Greenhouse in the 83rd minute.

Kings Stanley v Chipping Sodbury Town finished 2-0 to the home side, but this was another game in which missed chances from both sides cost them dearly. Ben Newman’s shot was deflected for a corner on 25 minutes and the same player headed over the bar on 50 minutes with just the keeper to beat. Stanley won this game in the last 2 minutes with Liam Gale creating space in the box to score the first and right on time substitute Sam Prior ran through to make it 2-0.

Patchway Town’s Matt Davis is on fire at the moment as he netted another double against Bristol Telephones. Davis opened the scoring on 14 minutes when he controlled a long ball before rounding the visitor’s keeper. Nicholas Gray volleyed home the second on 20 minutes and Davis netted a third before the break after being put clear by Ashley Wells. Phil Vice made it 4-0 a minute into the second half after Matt Davis’s shot had been saved by the visitor’s keeper. Telephones were kept at bay by some good goalkeeping by James Kaminski.

Ellwood were the winners of this game with a double strike from Darryl Addis but it could have been different if Southmead CS Athletic had taken the chances that they created. The home side got off to great start taking the lead on 2 minutes. The visitor’s keeper sliced his clearance and it went straight to Addis to fire the ball home. It took Southmead until the 80th minute to level the score and it came from a Danny Glancy shot that took a slight deflection on its way in. The home side snatched a late winner in the 89th minute from a cross into the box that was tapped into the net by Darryl Addis.

Longlevens have opened up a bigger gap at the top with a 2-1 win at home to Kingswood. The visitors who have won their last two games went into this game with plenty of confidence. The home side were first to create a chance to open the scoring a free kick sent over by Brad Martin at the near post but was well saved by keeper Chris Fox. Fox was on hand again a little later to deny Brad Martin putting the home side in front. Longlevens were hit with a sucker punch a minute from the break when Ryan Mudd was played in to slam the ball home. The home side are difficult to beat and levelled the score on 60 minutes when Brad Martin set up Ed Smyllie to score. The winner came from last year’s top scorer who was back from injury Shaun O’Conner finding himself with a one on one situation and rounding Fox to score.

Gala Wilton slipped a little further behind the league leaders when they dropped two points at home to mid-table Frampton United in a 0-0 score-line.

19th October 2013 - Longlevens go clear at top

Longlevens open up a 6 point gap at the top with 2-1 win at Southmead CS Athletic after second place Gala Wilton go down 2-1 at Chipping Sodbury Town.

At the bottom Thornbury Town pick up a point at Kings Stanley with a 1-1 draw, but Berkeley Town lose 4-0 at home to Ellwood.

What should have been match of the day – with Southmead CS Athletic entertaining leaders Longlevens turned out to be a bit of a damp squib. This game never really got going throughout and lacked goalmouth action.

The home side were the better side for the first 20 minutes and looked the most likely to score especially after Longlevens keeper Jake Underwood was forced to pull off two great saves early on. The visitors forced two early corners but nothing materialised as they were hit rather hard and drifted out for goal kicks on the far side. Brad Martin got a good sight on goal in the 18th minute but his header was straight at keeper Sebastian Gribble. Southmead took the lead on 20 minutes with a superb strike from the edge of the box by Rob Sivers. Longlevens first real chance to score came in the 40th minute from a rasping low shot from the edge of the box that whistled past the wrong side of the upright. Southmead did themselves no favours a minute before the break when goalscorer Rob Sivers got himself sent off.

It was the home side who mustered the first attack of the second half but the final shot from Gary Booth went over the bar. Longlevens were thrown a lifeline in the 55th minute when the home side conceded a penalty. There was a long delay before the penalty could be taken as keeper Sebastian Gribble sustained an injury in the incident that led to the penalty being given. Gribble took his place back in goal and brought off a tremendous save to deny Ryan Dunn levelling from the spot. The visitors got the equaliser on 75 minutes from a corner from the left that was hit long and Brad Barnard who had come on as a sub slid the ball home at the far post. Longlevens were rather fortunate to win this game but they did in the 82nd minute when a long ball was pumped into the box – keeper Gribble came to meet it drove it hard but it struck Craig Martin and rebounded into the empty net. For the last 10 minutes Southmead were under a lot of pressure as the league leaders pushed as hard as they could for a third goal, but the home defence held out.

Chipping Sodbury Town continued where they left off last week and pulled off a very good result against Gala Wilton who had only lost once up to this point. Sodbury did it the hard way after conceding an own goal on 20 minutes to put the visitors one up. Danny Coombes levelled the score on 53 minutes and a goal from Alex Fox in the 83 minute gave the home side a remarkable win.

There was only two goals in the game at Kings Stanley where bottom Club Thornbury Town came away with a very valuable point. Kings Stanley conceded a penalty after 5 minutes that gave the visitors the chance to take the lead and penalty specialist Toby Bennett made no mistake from the spot. The home side made it 1-1 midway through the first half from a Steve Robinson header at the far post. Torrential rain then hit the game just before the break and continued throughout the second half making things very difficult. With few chances created the game ended all square.

Berkeley Town are really struggling at present as they slipped to another defeat this time at the hands of Ellwood. Darryl Addis gave the visitors the lead on 10 minutes with a shot from the edge of the box and it remained 1-0 at the break. Further goals in the second half a second from Darryl Addis on 47 minutes followed 3 minutes later with a strike from brother Matt Addis put the visitors 3-0 up. Mike Nelson then completed the scoring on 60 minutes for Ellwood.

  • Action from Southmead CS Athletic V Longlevens

  • Action from Southmead CS Athletic V Longlevens

  • Action from Southmead CS Athletic V Longlevens

  • Action from Southmead CS Athletic V Longlevens

Kingswood followed on their win last week with a 5-2 victory at home to Hanham Athletic. A double form Lee Williams and two goals from Gary Simmons with a fifth from Edward Firth were on target for the home side, whilst Billy Hodge and Craig Stone replied for Hanham.

Bishops Cleeve Reserves recorded a 4-2 win at home to Frampton United. No goals in the first 45 minutes with the opening goal coming on 50 minutes for Frampton a free kick floated into the box for Chris Fower to finish off. The home side hit back with 3 goals in 10 minutes the first from James Vercisi with a shot into the bottom corner. 5 minutes later Harley Price netted his first to make it 2-1. James Vercisi headed Keating’s cross home to make it 3-1 on 70 minutes and a second from Price on 85 minutes put the home side well in control. Frampton’s Josh Browning netted a second for the visitors a minute from the end.

Rockleaze Rangers pulled off a good win to help them climb the table with a 3-2 victory over Yate Town Reserves. Yate took the lead on 4 minutes when Scott Robson got on the end of a long throw to hook the ball home. Rangers hit back to level on 11 minutes from a 25 yard free kick from Sam Andrews that hit the inside of the post on its way in. Yate regained the lead when Ben Royall knocked the ball home from a Josh Dempsey header that struck the bar. Rangers levelled again on 26 minutes from a Ben Lear cross that was powerfully headed home by Nathan Bryer. A minute before the break Rangers took the lead for the first time as Nathan Bryer set up Ed Freeman to score.

Patchway Towns local derby with Henbury finished all square at 2-2. The home side took the lead on 20 minutes when Matt Davis was put clear. It remained 1-0 until the 75th minute when a shot from the edge of the box by Reece Purnell levelled the score. 3 minutes later Henbury were in front for the first time as Aaron Anglin’s shot flew into the top corner. 5 minutes from the end Matt Davis earned a deserved point for the home side.

Bristol Academy earned their second win of the season with a 3-1 at Bristol Telephones. All four goals came f1airly late in the game. The first was a header from Joe Cowen to give the visitors the lead and a second from a breakaway was finished off by Alex Bisp put the visitors two up. The home side hit back with a goal from Dhani Golding but a third from Mark Parsons gave the visitors the three points.

12th October 2013 - Longlevens edge out Thornbury

Only four league fixtures scheduled for today due to some Clubs performing in the 2nd Round of the GFA Challenge Trophy, it was a chance for Longlevens to go clear at the top of the table.

Our visit today was to Longlevens who were entertaining bottom Club Thornbury Town. Both teams scored freely last week but would that be the case today. The leaders won this game but only just as the visitors put on a very good performance and the difference in the end was the finishing of Longlevens that gave them the victory. Thornbury had just as much possession as the home side throughout the game but they were let down by poor delivery and poor finishing in the end.

Thornbury started the brighter and might well have taken a 2-0 lead in the first 15 minutes as Danny Thompson broke into the box but failed to get his shot away as a last ditch tackle by Scott Goodhall prevented him getting a clear touch on the ball. The same player was through again and again he failed to control the ball to get a shot on target. Nathan Irwin picked up a loose ball 30 yards out on the right cut in to the edge of the box curled his shot goal-wards but it was not strong enough to beat keeper Jake Underwood. It took the home side until the 18th minute to get a shot on target a Ryan Dunn effort that was easily fielded by keeper Ross Britton. In the 20th minute Longlevens won a corner on the left, it was hit low into the box and central defender Ed Smyllie got the faintest of touches with his head and it flew across goal and although Britton got his hands to it crept in. The next effort from the visitors came in the 35th minute a pass from Danny Thompson split the home defence to reach brother Steve out on the right and he cut in and let fly from the edge of the box but the ball whistled over the bar. Thornbury were defending really well anything that the home side threw at them and were a little unlucky to concede again a minute before the break from a great move by Ryan Dunn down the right and a superb low cross into the box for Brad Martin to slide the ball home.

The second half was a fairly even affair although when the visitors were attacking the home side defended in numbers making it difficult to break through. Brad Martin could have increased the lead for the home side on 55 minutes but pulled his shot wide. Veteran Andy Brookbanks was introduced by Thornbury and he latched onto a long ball out of defence by Ricki Lippiatt and unleashed a good shot from the edge of the box that went just wide of the post. Then Danny Thompson went close with a shot from the edge of the box. Thornbury were given a life line in the 84th minute when Longlevens defender Ed Smyllie became the villain handling in the box to give Thornbury a chance to pull a goal back from the spot. Young Toby Bennett made no mistake from 12 yards. With just 3 minutes to go Bennett who had picked up a yellow card in the first half was shown a second yellow and then a red after a silly tackle from behind. The leaders were not at their best but that was down to the shear determination of the visitors who were always in the game.

Shock of the day came at Southmead CS Athletic where the home side were defeated by three goals to two by Kingswood. The home side were much the better side in the first 45 minutes but could only manage a 1-0 lead at the break. Jaz Bright gave the home side the lead mid-way through the first half and they should have made it 2-0 just before the break but Rob Sivers blasted his penalty way over the bar. Kingswood performed much better after the break and levelled the score early on with a Paul Bleaken goal. The visitors then took the lead when Gary Simmons scored from the edge of the box. The home side lifted their game and equalised with just 5 minutes left Jaz Bright firing home from close range after a scramble in the box. Kingswood snatched all three points in the last minute of the game with a break that caught the home defence napping as a fierce shot was pushed away by the home keeper but it fell nicely for Lee Williams to fire home from the rebound.

  • Action from Longlevens V Thornbury Town

  • Action from Longlevens V Thornbury Town

  • Action from Longlevens V Thornbury Town

  • Action from Longlevens V Thornbury Town

Berkeley Town are shipping goals on a regular basis as they were again heavily beaten 6-2 this time by Chipping Sodbury Town. This was revenge for the home defeat by Berkeley just a few weeks earlier. Sodbury were a goal in front on 5 minutes as the home keeper and defender Frank Gillison got into a mess resulting in Gillison putting the ball into his own net. James Mackie then gave Sodbury a 2-0 lead on 23 minutes and Danny Coombes made it 3-0 on 30 minutes with a shot from just outside the box. James Mackie was brought down in the box by Gillison on 38 minutes and Alex Fox netted number four from the penalty spot. 4 minutes into the second half Tom Palmer pulled a goal bock for the home side also from the penalty spot. A free kick from 20 yards by Ollie Clarke put Sodbury 5-1 up on 53 minutes and then a low shot from Sam Jenkins on 66 minutes gave Sodbury a commanding 6-1 lead. Berkley managed a consolation goal 4 minutes from the end slotted home by Sam Strickland.

In the other game played in the league today Rockleaze Rangers drew 0-0 with Frampton United. A spokesman for the home side said that their were so few chances created throughout the game that the 0-0 scoreline was the right result.

GFA Challenge Trophy Round 2

Ellwood were drawn home to Gala Wilton and it was away side who took the lead on 15 minutes through Ryan Harris. They went 2-0 up right on half time with a Craig Harris goal. Ellwood hit back on 55 minutes through Mike Nelson and then a Darryl Addis goal on 70 minutes brought the score level. 5 minutes from the end Mike Nelson got on the score sheet again to give the home side a passage into the next round.

Patchway Town are also through to the next round with a 3-1 victory over Bishops Cleeve Reserves. They should have taken the lead after 2 minutes when Matt Davis was brought down in the box, but Chris Kritikos missed the spot kick. A Matt Davis strike on 15 minutes put the home side in front and a 25 yard free kick from Matt Tovey on 35 minutes that deceived the visitor’s keeper as it bounced put the home side 2-0 up at the break. Two minutes into the second half Matt Davis struck again to make it 3-0. A mazy run from Jack Fairbairn on 75 minutes rounding the keeper to score was the only reply from Bishops Cleeve.

Kings Stanley also go through to the next round with a 4-0 victory over Bristol Academy. A double strike from Liam Gale on 7 minutes and 40 minutes gave Stanley a 2-0 lead. Luke Barstow then made it 3-0 right on half time with a looping header. The fourth goal was a mistake by the visitors defence as the ball was deflected into their own net on 55 minutes.

5th October 2013 - Bristol Academy gain first win

Some unbelievable results from today’s fixtures. There were 15 goals at Thornbury Town v Bristol Telephones with the away side winning 8-7.

Longlevens hit 9 at Berkeley Town with only one in reply. Ellwood v Rockleaze Rangers also produced 8 goals with the home side running out winners 5-3.

Bristol Academy recorded their first win of the season with a 3-1 result at home to Henbury, only the second time the visitors have lost this season. Henbury almost took the lead in the 1st minute but the shot went past the far post. The Academy looked a more confident side than in recent weeks and went ahead on 5 minutes from a corner that was powerfully headed into the net by Josh Jones. Jones then became the felon when he brought down Aaron Anglin giving Henbury the chance to draw level from the penalty spot. Craig Davies stepped up and drove the ball past Connor Cable in the home goal. A 20 yard pile driver from Marcus Thatcher on 29 minutes gave the home side the lead, Henbury keeper Cameron Tarr was unable to hold the shot as it went through his hands into the net. Toby Waterman broke clear for the home side on 37 minutes but Tarr closed the angle down and pulled off a good save to deny the Academy a third goal. 2 Minutes later it was 3-1 to the Academy as Toby Waterman chased the ball down the left flank somehow managed to recover after being knocked to the floor and then sent a low cross into the Henbury box where Joe Swift was waiting to knock it home.

The second 45 minutes failed to produce the same intensity of the first although Henbury struck the crossbar a minute into the half. Toby Waterman struck the Henbury crossbar with a shot from the edge of the box and Marcus Thatcher hit the upright for the Academy there was no further score.

A fifteen goal bonanza for the spectators at Thornbury Town as the home side came out on the wrong side going down 8-7. The home side were leading 5-3 at the break with the score-line changing from one end to the other. Danny Thompson hit a hat-trick for the home side with Mark Viner netting a brace. There was one each for Luke Franklin and Toby Bennett. For the visitors Dhani Golding netted 4 with a brace from Kevin Seacole, with Jack Fillingham and Chris Misir netting the other two.

Berkeley Town were hit really hard by Longlevens at home today last years champions hammered nine into the home net with only one in reply. Dave Rich opened the scoring on 12 minutes with a dipping shot from the edge of the box. On 17 minutes Berkeley drew level when Aaron Nash also scored from the edge of the box. But it was all down hill for the home side from that point. Brad Martin netted the first of his 4 goals on 22 minutes then scored again at the far post from a long cross on 34 minutes. Ryan Dunn then scored the first of his brace on 37 minute from just inside the box. Brad Martin volleyed home number five on 48 minutes as he sent a low shot into the corner on 66 minutes for his fourth of the afternoon. Lee Blackmore scored with close range effort on 77 minutes and Craig Beaton made it 8-1 on 80 minutes. Ryan Dunn rounded the scoring off three minutes from the end.

Ellwood got back to winning ways with a 5-3 victory at home to Rockleaze Rangers. Alex Brown lashed the ball home to give Ellwood the lead on 3 minutes, but Rangers hit back to level on 15 minutes from a Ben Lear strike. Matt Addis put the home side back in front five minutes later and brother Darryl Addis made it 3-1 in the 35th minute. An own goal right on half time by a home defender brought Rangers back into the game at 3-2. Five minutes into the second half Darryl Addis increased the home side lead, but Rangers hit back again on 70 minutes with a Frank Stallard goal. Right on time Rangers were guilty of putting the ball into their own net to give the home side the three points.

Gala Wilton and Kings Stanley fought out a strong contest with the home side shading it with a 3-2 victory at the end. There were no goals in the first 45 minutes but it was shaded by Kings Stanley who had the better of the play. It was the home side that opened the scoring on 48 minutes after Ryan Hughes beat several defenders before crossing for Craig Harris to score the first of his three goals. Stanley levelled on 64 minutes from a cross come shot from Luke Barstow that deceived the home keeper and drifted into the net. Ryan Hughes was instrumental in setting up the second for Gala again beating several defenders to put Craig Harris through to score. Harris completed his hat-trick on 82 minutes when he latched onto a long ball to drive the ball past Gale. Stanley’s Ben Newman headed home a second on 88 minutes and Gala had to hang on for the last few minutes.

Patchway Town were comfortable winners over visitors Kingswood netting three times without reply. Patchway went ahead on 15 minutes with some good interchanging of passes before Mark Stoneham finished the move off. 3 minutes later they went 2-0 up from a cool finish by Chris Kritikos. A Sam Davies free kick on 59 minutes that hit the underside of the crossbar on its way in made it 3-0.

Yate Town Reserves gained three valuable points with a 3-0 victory over visitors Frampton United. Two goals in a minute put the home side well in command. The first on 15 minutes saw James Kenway pick up the ball from a goal kick and find the back of the Frampton net from near the halfway line. Scot Robson then made it 2-0 within a minute as he turned in Warrens cross. Scott Robson latched onto a poor back pass for the third goal on 76 minutes.

Hanham Athletic were leading in their home game with Southmead on two occasions but the visitors proved to strong and eventually ran out winners 4-2. Hanham took the lead on 20 minutes through James Shipman, but the visitors hit back to level with a Rob Sivers goal. The home side retook the lead early in the second half from the penalty spot netted by Shaun Morris. Southmead then levelled again, this time Rob Sivers scoring from the penalty spot. Sivers then gave the visitors the lead with a superb free kick that he curled around the wall. Late in the game Southmead score again through substitute Rob Wilks to make it 4-2.