league logo

MARCLIFF Gloucestershire County Football League

sponsor logo

Ron's Match Reports

28th December 2013 - Hanham and Bristol Telephones end all square

Longlevens stay top after a very comfortable 3-0 win over Henbury. Gala Wilton’s 1-0 defeat at home to Rockleaze Rangers opens up a five point gap at the top.

Hanham Athletics’ home game with Bristol, Telephones ended all square with a one – one score-line. The result was about right on the day because neither side looked as though they were going to pull up any trees. The game was held up after just three minutes with a bad injury to Bristol Telephones player Ryan Hicks who was carried from the pitch to the dressing rooms. An ambulance was called and he was taken to hospital with a suspected broken ankle. The first effort on goal came after twelve minutes a free kick form the edge of the box taken by Billy Hodge who curled the ball over the two man wall but flew into the side netting. Telephones got the ball in the net on fifteen minutes but it was ruled out for offside. Hanham took the lead on twenty two minutes from a good break down the left and a great cross in to the edge of the box where Jason Hallett was waiting to drive a fierce shot past Neil Hampton in the visitors goal. For the next twenty minutes neither side were able to break through very resilient defences, but a mistake in the home defence on forty two minutes gave Chris Misir the opportunity to level and he made no mistake. A couple of minutes later Misir had another great chance to put his side ahead but blasted his shot wide of the goal. Right on half time Hanham got the ball into the Telephones net but the referee spotted a hand ball and disallowed the goal.

Telephones looked the better side in the second half and had much more of the possession but could not turn that possession into chances. They were unlucky in the forty ninth minute when a cross from a corner bobbled around in the box before striking the upright and was eventually cleared. Hanham’s only real chance of the second half fell to Adam Grinter who struck a good shot from the edge of the box on target but somehow it struck another Hanham player and was deflected away. Telephones last effort on goal came courtesy of Dhani Golding who curled a left footed drive fro a very acute angle across the goal but it went just the wrong side of the post.

Leaders Longlevens won their fixture against Henbury by three goals to nil but it was a very one sided game in which the home side missed numerous chances in the second half or the score-line could have been much bigger. Shaun O’Connor opened the scoring on six minutes when he ran clear after a great pass from Brad Martin. A second goal on thirty five minutes from Luke Kavanagh firing home the rebound after Brad Martin’s original shot was well saved by the Henbury keeper. After being involved in the first two goals Brad Martin made it three nil right on half time from a superb through ball from ad Smyllie. The second half was just a catalogue of missed chances and a few good saves from the visitor’s keeper that kept the score-line down.

  • Action from Gala Wilton V Rockleaze Rangers, Courtesy Peter Langley

  • Action from Gala Wilton V Rockleaze Rangers, Courtesy Peter Langley

  • Action from Gala Wilton V Rockleaze Rangers, Courtesy Peter Langley

  • Action from Gala Wilton V Rockleaze Rangers, Courtesy Peter Langley

  • Action from Hanham Athletic V Bristol Telephones

  • Action from Hanham Athletic V Bristol Telephones

  • Action from Hanham Athletic V Bristol Telephones

  • Action from Hanham Athletic V Bristol Telephones

Chipping Sodbury Town ran out three nil winners over Bristol Academy who are struggling this season. The home side were in rampant form right from the off and Justin Cattle missed a good chance in the first minute. A Sam Jenkins pass to Dan Coombes to cross after six minutes found Cattle who drove the ball past keeper Josh Lax. The Academy’s only real threat on goal in the first forty five minutes came from Toby Waterman who fired his shot over the bar. Sodbury went two up on fifty five minutes after James Mackie was put through on goal and dinked the ball over the advancing keeper. A second goal by Mackie on seventy eight minutes saw the home side home and dry. The last threat from the visitors came from Lewis Hedges a shot on target that home keeper George Hale did well to save.

Rockleaze Rangers pulled off a great result at second place Gala Wilton. There was only one goal in the game but it was enough to secure the three points for the visitors. The home side were first to attack and a Brett James cross almost eluded the Rangers goalkeeper Sam Burgess as he clawed the ball back as it looked as though it was going in. Rockleaze were unlucky in the sixth minute as they broke into the box and thought they should have been awarded a penalty for a foul, but the referee was having none of it. Kye Simpson’s first effort on goal went very close. In the twenty first minute Ryan Hughes beat several Rangers defenders before pulling his shot wide. In the thirty third minute home defender Adam Hemmings made a last ditch tackle to deny Simpson. A minute before the break the home side looked as though they might have taken the lead but Craig Harris’s looping shot struck the crossbar. Gala came out with a determination to score in the second half but it was one of those days as numerous chances went begging from Craig Howell Ryan Hughes and Craig Harris. The deadlock was broken in the sixty eighth minute when Kye Simpson was given a route to goal as Mark Mason slip allowed Simpson to run clear and drive the ball past Ollie Hall. Rangers should have scored a second in the seventy third minute when Mark Mason fouled Simpson in the box for a clear penalty. Unfortunately Sam Andrews then contrived to fire the spot kick high and wide. The home side almost levelled in the eighty sixth minute when Mike Perris’s looping shot came back of the crossbar and was cleared. A spokesman for the home side commented that Rockleaze deserved their win.

Kings Stanley went a goal down at home to local rivals Frampton United on twenty minutes, but that could have been much worse for Stanley as Frampton missed a penalty very early on, Luke Barstow brought down Chris Fower - Fower then hauled himself up to take the penalty but unfortunately he blasted the ball high and wide of the target from the spot. Frampton made up for that early miss in the twentieth minute from a cross into the box that was volleyed home by Steve Jackson. The first chance for the home side fell to Nathan Buckland but he shot wide of the goal. Just before the break Ashley Gale pulled of a good save to deny Frampton a second goal. The home side got themselves back in the game on fifty minutes with a superb through ball to Ben Newman to score. Steve Robertson could have given Stanley the lead but drove his shot into the side netting. In the seventieth minute Robertson made up for his earlier miss when Liam Gales through ball was neatly put away by the striker. It looked as thought the home side were going to take the three points until Steve Jackson popped up to score from close range in time added at the end of ninety minutes.

The fixtures between Bishops Cleeve Reserves v Berkeley Town and Patchway Town v Thornbury Town were postponed.

21st December 2013 - Longlevens ease into cup semi-final

With the leaders Longlevens playing in the Cup this week it gave the four Clubs immediately below them in the table Gala Wilton – Ellwood – Southmead CS Athletic and Bristol Telephones a chance to close the gap and all four duly obliged.

Longlevens progress to the semi- final of the Les James League Cup with a 3-0 win over cup holders Kings Stanley. They will now be away to Ellwood with the date to be confirmed.

Les James League Cup - sponsored by Braley Business Systems

The home side are a very good unit and deserve to be in the semi-final after a very good all-round display. They showed their intentions right from the off when Dave Merrick drove his shot just wide on three minutes. It took Stanley seven minutes to break into the Longlevens half and it almost brought them a goal as Liam Gale got just clear of Ed Smyllie but was well tackled by home keeper Jake Underwood who had rushed out to the edge of the box. There was another good block by a home defender on fifteen minutes denying Nathan Buckland’s shot getting through. Stanley were unlucky in the nineteenth minute when a mistake by the home defence almost allowed Liam Gale a chance to put them ahead. The home side made the break through on twenty six minutes when Brad Martin drove the ball past Ashley Gale from the edge of the box. Shaun O’Connor must be kicking himself when he broke clear on thirty one minutes only to shoot straight at Gale. Gale was in fine form as he denied Brad Martin a second goal on thirty nine minutes. Stanley should have levelled the score on forty one minutes as Luke Barstow broke clear down the right and sent in a superb low cross to the far post that eluded all the home defenders and ran through to Steve Robertson, but somehow he struck the ball against the upright and it was cleared. The home side thought they had scored a second in the forty third minute from a free-kick but was indicated by the official that it was an indirect free-kick and the ball sped into the net with out getting a touch so it was disallowed.

The home side came out with their tales up for the second half and Brad Martin broke clear of the Stanley defence only to fire his shot straight at Gale. A Scott Goodhall header from a corner in the fifty sixth minute was fisted away by Gale At the other end Liam Gale found himself with a good chance just a minute later but he was quickly closed down by Jake Underwood to avert the danger. At this stage of the game the home side were getting the upper hand with Stanley constantly unable to keep hold of the ball for very long. Brad Martin missed a glorious chance on sixty minutes as he ran clear of the Stanley defence tried to dink the ball to the left of Gale but it went wide of the upright. A goal for the home side on sixty five minutes a second from Brad Martin who beat the offside to run clear and drive the ball past Gale paving the way into the semi-final for Longlevens. By this time the home side were buzzing and two great saves from keeper Gale kept the score-line down for Stanley. Longlevens scored a third goal in the seventy sixth minute with a superb strike from the edge of the box by Dave Rich whose shot curled away from Gale into the roof of the net. Longlevens substitute Nick Jones missed a glaring chance for a fourth for the home side on eighty three minutes. The last chance of the game went to Stanley who twice had shots on goal thwarted by keeper Jake Underwood.

League games

Gala Wilton inflicted a very heavy defeat on Hanham Athletic who had probably not recovered from their drubbing at the hands of Chipping Sodbury Town a couple of weeks ago. Gala missed chances early on and Hanham should have scored in the eleventh minute but the finish was disappointing. Craig Harris was guilty of missing a couple of good chances to put the home side in front, but after constant pressure Harris broke the deadlock on thirty four minutes when he beat the offside to put the home side one up Harris made it two on forty minutes firing home the rebound from a shot by Ryan Hughes that had been spilled by the visitors keeper. The home side were determined to increase their lead and a free kick from Joel White put them three nil up. Ryan Hughes increased that lead on fifty five minutes when he broke clear and dinked the ball over the Hanham keeper. Gala made it five on sixty two minutes after Lee Allen was brought down in the box he then hauled himself up to fire the ball home from the spot.

Berkeley Town were well beaten at home to Bristol Telephones after taking a thirty ninth minute lead when Marley Thomas headed home a cross from Adam Philp. The lead only lasted two minutes as Marc Griffiths levelled the score with a shot from the edge of the box. A Jack Fillingham strike two minutes into the second half gave the visitors the lead and just a minute later they were three one up after Martin Blacker scored from the edge of the box. A second from Jack Fillingham on the hour mark made the final score four one to the visitors.

Chipping Sodbury’s inconsistent form let them down again as they were beaten three two at home to Southmead CS Athletic. The visitors opened the better and took the lead on seven minutes with a goal from John Kilpatrick. Justin Cattle missed a good opportunity to level on fifteen minutes, but James Mackie made up for that just a minute later to level the score. Cattle put the home side in front on fifty three minutes which lasted four minutes as a Nick Randall free kick for Southmead made it two – two. The home side then got caught on the break in the seventy seventh minute by a goal from Aaron Wilson that gave the visitors the three points.

On a very heavy pitch Ellwood continued their good home form with the two nil defeat of Thornbury Town. The home side certainly caught Thornbury on the hop as they took a two goal lead in the first ten minutes. The first came after five minutes from a cross by Matt Addis to the far post where Lee Scotford was waiting to slide the ball home. A second goal five minutes later involving the same two players only this time it was Lee Scotford who crossed for Matt Addis to head home.

No goals in the first forty five minutes between Frampton United and visitors Kingswood. The deadlock was broken in the forty eighth minute from a break by Kris Bulley down the flank and a great cross into the six yard box for Chris Fowey to score. The second on sixty minutes came from Steve Jackson who was put clear to round the keeper and slot the ball home.

The fixtures between Bishops Cleeve Reserves v Patchway Town and Rockleaze Rangers v Henbury were postponed due to waterlogged pitches.

14th December 2013 - Berkeley Town win at Henbury

Both Longlevens and Gala Wilton dropped points today. The leaders were held to a 1-1 score-line at home to Chipping Sodbury Town whilst Gala Wilton almost snatched the three points at Patchway Town, but a late penalty saved a point for the home side.

Berkeley Town record their second win of the season at Henbury, but both Rockleaze Rangers and Bristol Academy both lost.

Henbury’s losing run continues as they go down one nil at home to bottom club Berkeley Town. The visitors certainly rode their luck in this game and also defended really well when under pressure in the second half. Henbury created enough chances to win the game but failed to make them count and it cost them dearly. The visitors kicked with the wind in the first half and opened brightly creating a couple of early half chances, but it was the home side that should have scored on nine minutes, but Jack Mills failed to hit the target. Just a couple of minutes later Ryan Innoles also missed a great chance to put his side ahead. A good break in the thirteenth minute by Berkeley saw Tom Palmer give Sam Strickland a chance on goal and he did not disappoint as he drove a twenty yard shot past Cameron Tarr in the home goal. The home side carved out another good scoring chance in the nineteenth minute but Ryan Innoles placed his shot wide of the far post. After twenty four minutes Adam Rosser had the best chance created by the home side as he broke free of the Berkeley defence but then directed his shot almost straight at the keeper who made a great save with his legs. A free kick for Berkeley just outside the box and taken by Tom Palmer went just wide of the far post. A minute later it was the visitor’s keeper Miles Palmer who pulled of a great save to deny Henbury’s Jack Mills.

Henbury started the second half with plenty of determination and were unlucky not to have scored when Jack Mills was through on goal and tried to take the ball around the keeper but fell to the ground, the referee waved play on. The home side was having the lion’s share of the possession and forced four corners in succession but failed to find the back of the net. More corners were to follow but the visitors defended very well and kept their goal in tact. Palmer then saved a good shot from Jack Mills and minutes later a Ryan Innoles shot went just wide. A magnificent tackle by Rob Stringer in the sixty seventh minute almost certainly prevented a goal for Adam Rosser. Rosser was very unlucky a few minutes later when an in-swinging corner from the left was missed by everyone but struck the inside of the upright and was cleared. Berkeley could have made sure of the three points in the seventy fifth minute when Jack Bebbington brought down Sam Strickland for a penalty. Tom Palmer’s kick was misdirected and it hit the upright and was cleared.

Thornbury Town came away from Lodge Road with three points from 3-0 win over Yate Town Reserves. All the goals came in fifteen minute period in the second half. Toby Bennett put the visitors ahead on fifty minutes, then five minutes later Ricki Lippiatt chipped in with a second. Bennett then added a third in the sixty fifth minute and his second of the afternoon.

Bristol Telephones inflicted Ellwood’s third defeat of the season with a convincing four nil win. Chris Misir put the home side ahead on thirty minutes with a tap in and right on half time Ryan Hicks curled a left footed shot from the right side of the box for the second. A Ben Griffiths shot on forty nine minutes made it three nil and it should have been four on fifty one minutes but Mike Grist missed from the penalty spot. Ben Griffiths rounded the scoring off on sixty four minutes with his second goal of the game.

Southmead CS Athletic missed the chance to close the gap at the top after losing two one at home to Frampton United. Not a very inspiring game according to the report but the home side went into the break with a one nil lead after John Killpatrick ball over the visitors defence found Luke Mills to score from the edge of the box. The home side could well have had a second goal before the break but Aaron Wilson’s shot struck the crossbar. Frampton levelled on sixty five minutes when a ball into the box was only half cleared and Kris Bulley fired home. The winner for Frampton came in the seventy eight minute from Chris Fowey who latched on to a long ball over the home defence to drive the ball home.

Rockleaze Rangers sink further into trouble after a three one defeat at home by Kingswood. Rangers were unlucky in the seventh minute when Ed Freeman’s header came back off the crossbar with the visitor’s keeper well beaten. All the goals came in the first forty five minutes, the first after twenty nine minutes from Kingswood’s Jim Crossfield a free kick hit into the Rangers box and finished from eight yards. A second for the visitors came on thirty four minutes when Neil Simons was adjudged to have handled in the box and Lee Williams duly obliged from the spot. A twenty five yard cross come shot from Charlie Read two minutes later - deceived the home keeper and the ball flew into the net. Otis Wilson pulled a goal back for Rangers from a goalmouth scramble right on half time. Rangers had most of the possession in the second half and might have scored again but for a sound goal keeping performance from Kingswood’s Chris Fox.

Bristol Academy came back twice in their home fixture with Bishops Cleeve Reserves only to lose in the very last minute of the game. Tim Arnold was the player in form for Cleeve netting twice. The opening goal came after just two minutes when Arnold intercepted a ball from the home keeper and drilled the ball home. The Academy drew level on thirty two minutes as Toby Waterman’s set up Sam Johnson to net. Tim Arnold then put the visitors ahead again on fifty minutes with a nicely taken goal, but with two minutes left Mason Winter broke down the flank and pulled the ball back for Toby Waterman to net the equalising goal. Cleeve got the winner right at the death from a corner that bobbled about in the box before Andy Palmer pounced to score.

In a very even first half at Kings Stanley where Hanham Athetic and the home side failed to create anything of any significants it all went down to last five minutes before the deadlock was broken. Stanley’ Liam Gale started the ball rolling in the eighty fifth minute when he crossed into the box for Sam Prior who clear header on goal should have opened the scoring but it went straight to the keeper. Within a minute Gale again sent across into the box and this time Steve Robertson gave them the lead. Hanham hit back almost immediately - Craig Stone’s shot rattling the underside of the crossbar and was adjudged to have crossed the line. Right on time Stanley were awarded a penalty and Sam Prior made no mistake from the spot.

Leaders Longlevens were held to a one - one draw at home to Chipping Sodbury Town with the visitors first on the score sheet after ten minutes James Mackie capitalising on a defensive mix up to give them the lead. Ryan Dunn had a good chance to level for the leaders on eighteen minutes but was denied by the Sodbury keeper. Longlevens got back on level terms in the thirty fifth minute from a Shaun O’Connor free kick that was deflected into his own net by Mike Beacham. There was one really good chance that could have given the home side the three point’s in the seventieth minute a Shaun O’Connor effort that was brilliantly saved by the visitor’s keeper.

Six goals at Patchway Town who shared a three – three draw with Gala Wilton. A double from Patchway’s Brandon Benjamin was equalled by a double form Gala’s Joel White in this game. It was Benjamin who opened the scoring for Town on twenty minutes his well directed header taking a deflection off a defender on its say into the net. Benjamin then gave the home side a two goal lead on thirty five minutes and it remained that score until the break. Two minutes into the second half Gala pulled a goal back from a free kick that was hit into the box and everyone misjudged the bounce as it crept into the net. Craig Harris levelled it up on fifty five minutes heading home a cross. It looked as though the visitors had won the game in the eighty eighth minute when Joel White netted a second almost identical goal as his first with home keeper James Kaminski and his defenders helpless as the ball crept into the net again. All was not lost as the game moved into added time the home side were given a life line when Matt Tovey broke into the box - was nudged over and then got up to dispatch the penalty to salvage a point.

7th December 2013 - Southmead win as Rockleaze score all the goals

Leaders Longlevens get back to winning ways with a 2-0 victory over Frampton United and open up a five point gap as Gala Wilton go down 2-1 at home to Bristol Academy. Ellwood remain in third place with Southmead CS Athletic in fourth. Rockleaze Rangers drop to second from bottom after their 2-1 defeat at home to Southmead CS Athletic. Thornbury move out of the bottom two.

Rockleaze Rangers and Southmead CS Athletic met for the second week running only this time it was a league encounter. Last weeks game produced six goals but this week it was a different story. Southmead were the much better side in the first forty five minutes and could well have gone in at half time with a four goal lead but for the fantastic performance by the Rockleaze goalkeeper Sam Burgess. Southmead actually won this game with two own goals in the end. The first of the goals came in only the second minute of the game from a low corner driven in from the left that was sliced past Burgess by fullback Neil Simons. The home side had a great chance to level on fifteen minutes but Theo Coombs who had a clear shot on goal blasted his shot well wide. Burgess brought of a double save in the nineteenth minute as he parried a Luke Mills shot straight into the path of Rob Wilks who hit his shot straight at the keeper. Burgess then brought off another great save from a 25 yard Gary Booth shot that was heading for the top corner in the twentieth minute. Four minutes later Burgess brought of a fantastic save to deny Danny Glancy scoring from point blank range. Luke Coghlan almost made it two nil on the half hour but his low shot went just past the far post. The home side made little inroads into the visitors defence and when Theo Coombs had a half chance just before the break he shot straight at Sebastian Gribble in the visitor’s goal.

For the first twenty seven minutes of the second half neither side made any inroads with both teams losing possession on the edge of the box. The first sign of any involvement in the box came from the visitors on seventy three minutes when Burgess brought off another good save to deny Southmead a second goal. The home side should definitely have levelled the score in the seventy fifth minute as Otis Wilson broke clear of the Southmead defence but failed to get the ball past Gribble as he raced from his line to the edge of the box and blocked the shot that fell nicely for Theo Coombs who then fired his shot wide of the target. The visitors had their second bit of fortune in the eightieth minute as a low cross into the box from the left was well struck by Luke Mills but again saved by Burgess only to see the ball rebound on to Valentin Pomfret and into the Rockleaze net. With just two minutes of normal time left Rangers substitute Oshane West had a clear shot on goal but it took a deflection away for a corner. With time added being played a header from Ed Freeman was spilled by Sebastian Gribble and Savas Frangoullis was on hand to pull a goal back for Rangers.

The leaders got back to winning ways at Frampton United but it might have been a different story if the home side had taken their chances early on. A cross into the box on thirty minutes found Kris Bully unmarked but he scuffed his shot and the danger was averted. Just five minutes later United had another good chance to take the lead as a long ball over the top fell straight to Karl Palmer but his attempt to chip the keeper failed miserably. Longlevens broke the deadlock on sixty five minutes when Scott Goodhall was left unmarked from a free kick to head home. The visitors made it two nil on seventy two minutes with a thunderbolt of a shot from thirty five yards from Craig Beaton. Longlevens should have made it three in the eighty eighth minute as Shaun O’Conner broke clear of the united defence but then saw his shot brilliantly saved by Dan Borg in the home goal.

Bristol Academy recorded an excellent result at Gala Wilton. The Academy followed on their success over the league leaders last week to defeat second in the table this week. There was lots of action in this game with both sides creating chances. A miss kick by Josh Jones almost let in Myron Turner after ten minutes, then in the eighteenth minute Lee Allen headed wide for the home side. After twenty one minutes Adam Mahmood should have opened the scoring for the visitors heading wide from six yards. Craig Artus then shot wide for the home side before Dave Wilkinson had his shot cleared off the line by the Academy. The visitors took the lead just before the break when a cross into the box was turned in by George Binding. Tom Waterman of the Academy had the ball in the back of the net in the fifty second minutes but it was ruled out for offside. The visitors increased their lead on seventy seven minutes with a goal from Sam Johnson. The home side had previously made a triple substitution but found themselves down to ten men in the eightieth minute as Greg Artus had to leave the field with an injury. However, this did not deter them and they pulled a goal back in the eighty third minute with a shot across the keeper from Ryan Hughes. The home side pushed hard for the last few minutes but the score-line remained the same.

Chipping Sodbury Town hit the jackpot in their home fixture with Hanham Athletic with a resounding 7-1 win. The home side were bolstered by having the five missing player from last weeks fixture at Patchway Town and it certainly made the difference. The star man was Justin Cattle who chipped in with his first hattrick of the season. Cattle opened the scoring on five minutes and then set up James Mackie to net the second on sixteen minutes. Cattle then scored a second on thirty four minutes to give the home side a comfortable three nil lead at the break. Dan Bendall’s pass put James Mackie through to make it four nil in the fiftieth minute. A superb free kick from Ollie Clark made it number five. Hanham pulled a goal back in the seventy fourth minute with a strike from Bill Hodge but within a minute Sodbury scored again when James Mackie set up Danny Coombes for number six. Justin Cattle rounded it all off with his third of the afternoon in the eighty seventh minute.

Ellwood’s home form continued with a three one win over visitors Henbury. They were rather fortunate with the first goal after fifteen minutes when Henbury cleared the corner but the clearance fell to Derek Roberts who sent the ball back into the box and it took a deflection off a Henbury defender into the net. The second on thirty minutes was a brotherly effort as Julian Addis’s pass to brother Darryl was finished off by the striker. Alex Brown made it three nil to the home side in the second half with a shot from just inside the box, but Henbury went straight up the other end to pull a goal back from a cross into the six yard box that was fumbled by home keeper Tim Yemm and the ball finished up in the back of the net.

Berkeley Town are rooted to the foot of the table after yet another defeat this time at the hands of Kingswood. The home side started well and went ahead on four minutes Chris Andrews heading home at the near post from a corner. Berkeley let Kingswood back into the game in the twenty third minute when Pete Lavis committed a rash tackle in the box leading to a penalty. Lee Williams took the kick to level the score. The visitors grabbed the winner in the seventy sixth minute after a scramble in the box Jim Crossfield slotted home.

Thornbury Town gave themselves a lift after two defeats on the trot with a three one win at home to Bishops Cleeve Reserves. The home side took a three goal lead in this fixture with the first of the goals coming after twenty eight minutes from the penalty spot fired home by Tom Webb. A second from Steve Thompson on forty four minutes the striker taking the ball past the defender before planting his shot in the corner of the net. Town’s keeper Mark Garbacz kept the home side in the game with a great double save in the forty eighth minute. The visitor’s keeper Dan Greenhouse also brought of a magnificent double save to deny Dan Thompson and then Toby Bennett in the fifty seventh minute. Thornbury made it three nil on seventy minutes with a header from Toby Bennett, but a minute later Tim Arnolds terrific shot from the edge of the box pulled a goal back for Cleeve.

Yate Town Reserves gained a good three nil victory at Bristol Telephones. The three goals were spread out with the first coming in the fortieth minute a left foot drive from the edge of the box from Dan Clement. Ryan Nicholls headed the second on the hour and a break away in the eighty fifth minute saw Sam Gilchrist net number three.

Patchway Town v Kings Stanley turned out to be a very boring game according to their spokesman with neither side being able to break the deadlock as it ended nil – nil.

Les James League Cup sponsored by Braley Business Systems

The draw for the semi-final has been made.

Originally Chipping Sodbury had reached the Semi-final but were disqualified after they had fielded an illegible player in their game at home to Ellwood. Ellwood were reinstated.

Ellwood v Longlevens or Kings Stanley

Rockleaze Rangers v Patchway Town

The dates for these games to be decided.