league logo

MARCLIFF Gloucestershire County Football League

sponsor logo

Ron's Match Reports

30th August 2014 - Henbury win derby with Southmead

Chipping Sodbury Town remain top with a draw at Rockleaze Rangers. Gala Wilton are running a close second just one point behind. AEK Boco’s win at Patchway Town puts them into third place.

At the bottom Southmead CS Athletic and Patchway Town are yet to get off the mark after six games.

The local derby between Henbury v Southmead CS Athletic saw the biggest attendance of the day 153 spectators who probably went away very disappointed after watching a game that never really got going. Both teams struggled to create goal scoring chances throughout the game and Southmead’s contribution in the first half as far as goal attempts were concerned was a Danny Tomlin shot that just cleared the crossbar. Henbury did not fair any better but might have taken the lead in the very last minute of the first half when Jack Mills broke down the right fired in a low cross to the near post but Aaron Anglin failed to get his shot on target with just the keeper to beat.

The deadlock was broken in the 59th minute from a cross that came into the box was dropped by the Southmead keeper Danny Cook and Ross Johnson tapped the ball home. Southmead’s Nick Bowering broke clear into the box on 78 minutes but was foiled by home keeper Jamie Farmiloe who then grabbed the ball at the second attempt. Jack Mills saw his shot saved at the second attempt by visitor’s keeper Danny Cook in the 80th minute. Danny Tomlin should have given Southmead a point from this game but with a clear shot on goal he shot wide. As I said earlier this game produced very few chances and a mistake cost Southmead dearly in a game they fully deserved a point.

Gala Wilton are in the scoring mode at present netting another four goals in today’s game at home to Bristol Telephones. Dave Wilkinson opened the scoring for Gala after 3 minutes heading home from a corner. Telephones were level just two minutes later this time it was Ryan Hicks heading home from a corner. The third goal after just 7 minute gave the visitors the lead a cross into the box that was tapped home by Jack Fillingham. A 42nd minute goal from Liam Halliday another close range effort put the home side on level terms. A mistake by the visitors allowed Josh Holford to pounce on the ball round the keeper before sliding the ball home to give Gala the lead in the 70th minute. The forth and final goal in the 79th minute was a neat piece of work from Sammie Hicks and Myron Turner with Turner playing the ball out to Hicks who rounded the keeper and then pulled the ball back for Turner to slot into the net.

Kingswood have got off to a sound start to the season wining four of their first six games and have moved into fourth place in the table. Today’s game at home to Hanham Athletic was a close affair and was won by a single goal midway through the second half. Both teams missed chances in the first half which should have resulted in a different score-line. The 70th minute James Gilvear header from a cross put the home side in front and then 3 minutes later the same player struck the crossbar. A glaring miss by Ryan Mudd in the 85th minute could have made it more comfortable for the home side.

Rockleaze Rangers have recorded two good results in the space of five days. Their win at Ellwood on bank Holiday Monday was followed up today with an excellent point against league leaders Chipping Sodbury Town. Sodbury started the stronger and only a brilliant save from Rangers keeper Sam Burgess prevented Justin Cattle giving them the lead after 4 minutes. The home side had a great chance to take the lead in the 13th minute but Aaron Day headed wide of the target with just the keeper to beat. Ed Freeman also squandered a good chance to put the home side into the lead. It was the visitors who went in front in the 39th minute when Burgess misjudged the ball after it took a bobble and this left Danny Coombes the simple job of running the ball into the net from outside the box. Although both sides created chances in the second half it was Rangers who scored in the 55th minute from a forty five yard free kick from Sam Andrews that was met by Ed Freeman on the far post to sent a looping header over the Sodbury keeper to level the score.

Patchway Town have got off to the worst start to the season for many years and have yet to pick up a point this season. Today’s visitors AEK Boco on the other hand have got off to a flying start. The visitors took the lead in the 30th minute when Ben Menear was put through on goal. A second goal on 53 minutes a header from Dan De-Gay put Boco two up. Darren Werrett then missed a penalty for the visitors well saved by home keeper Martin Alford who also saved the rebound. Unfortunately Alford picked up two yellow cards and was dismissed later in the game but the home side held out.

Yate Town Reserves picked up their first point of the season in a goalless draw at home to Frampton United. The best chance fell to the home side in the first half when Luke Burman was through on goal but shot over the bar. The home side had to play the whole game with their centre back Dan Wharton in goal due to the normal keeper falling ill. The spokesman for Yate said that the stand in keeper was outstanding the whole of the game.

23rd August 2014 - Les James League Cup - sponsored by Braley Business Systems

A rest from the league programme this week instead we saw the Les James Cup Competition get under way with the first round being completed.

Yate Town Reserves paid their second visit to Kingswood, after playing them in a league match last week the draw pitted them against the same opponents. The result last week was again repeated this week - with a two – nil score-line to home side. It could have been so different for the visitors if they had only taken their chances. Yate might have well been three goals up in the first eighteen minutes. They had a shot cleared off the line on six minutes and ten minutes later a twenty five yard drive from Luke Burman saw home keeper Chris Fox scrambling across goal and must have felt relieved when the ball went just the wrong side of the post. A great shot across goal from Liam Pullen on eighteen minutes would possible have beaten Fox but again it went just wide of the upright. In the twenty third minute Anton Dowe had a good chance to put the visitors ahead but he also pulled his shot wide. The visitors paid dearly for those missed chances and from the ensuing goal kick the long ball found its way into the Yate box and was knocked home by Paul Bleaken. A long ball from Yate’s Luke Burman found Anton Dowe who broke into the Kingswood box but before he could get his shot away he was well tackled by Frank Hitchings. The last real chance of the half fell to Yate in the thirty eighth minute a good effort from Joe Guest that was well saved by Fox.

The visitors were very unlucky in the fifty eighth minute when a shot from the edge of the box by Joe Guest struck the cross bar and was cleared. Another chance fell to the visitors on seventy seven minutes from a break down the left and the ball crossed to the edge of the box for Anton Dowe, but the striker again shot wide. The home side had that little bit more when it came to finishing and scored a second goal on eighty seventh minutes from a ball knocked into Simon Clarke who swivelled in the box and fired a shot across the Yate keeper Kieran Provis into the far corner.

Last years beaten finalists Rockleaze Rangers have been knocked out at the first attempt of this seasons competition going down heavily five – one at Bristol Telephones. Only fourteen spectators were present to see the home side take a five –nil lead in the first forty five minutes, with a hattrick from Luke Palmer and a brace from Dhani Golding. The first two goals were scored by Golding picking up rebounds from the keepers attempt to clear from Jack Fillingham shots on target. The opener came on eight minutes followed by the second on twenty five minutes. Luke Palmer got the first of his three on twenty eight minutes after being set up by Dhani Golding. The second two minutes later came direct from a free kick that gave the keeper no chance. Palmer rounded the scoring off for the home side when he chipped the keeper on forty minutes. Rockleaze did get a consolation in the second half when the home defence were all appealing for the offside that never came and Ed Freeman ran through to score.

Cheltenham Civil Service progress to the next round after winning four – three on penalties after drawing one – one at Patchway Town after ninety minutes. Leading goalscorer Jack Sklenar put the visitors ahead on fifteen minutes after being put clear on goal and Simon Knight levelled on forty eight minutes.

  • Kingswood v Yate Town Reserves

  • Kingswood v Yate Town Reserves

  • Kingswood v Yate Town Reserves

  • Kingswood v Yate Town Reserves

  • Kingswood v Yate Town Reserves

  • Kingswood v Yate Town Reserves

Henbury win their second game on the trot and progress to the second round. Adam Rosser gave the home side the lead with a sweet twenty five yard shot that whistled into the visitors net after fifteen minutes. Hanham Athletic netted an equalising goal in the fifty third minute with a special from Dan Turner who cut inside from the wing to unleash a shot across the home keeper and just inside the far post. Henbury retook the lead two minutes later from a free kick that was hit into the box by Adam Rosser and neatly flicked home by Aaron Anglin. Henbury let the visitors back in the game in the fifty eighth minute giving away a penalty that George Cryer netted to level the score. The winner for Henbury in the eighty first minute also came from the spot after Aaron Anglin had been brought down and Dale Simpson making no mistake with his kick.

Ellwood are through to the next round after beating Bishops Cleeve Reserves at Kayte Lane by four goals to nil. Darryl Addis netted a hat-trick with brother Julian scoring the other. The visitors went into the break with a two – nil lead after Darryl Addis scored two quick goals on forty two and forty five minutes. Julian made it three on sixty minutes and Darryl completed the scoring on sixty two minutes.

Chipping Sodbury Town who had a hundred percent record up until today - are out of this year’s competition after going down one – nil to Thornbury Town. A very even first forty five minutes with very little happening was carried on until the sixty ninth minute when the deadlock was broken by Thornbury’s Josh Pirie.

AEK Boco must be kicking themselves for losing this game after having a fair share of the play and taking the lead on twenty one minutes. Jack Green threw the ball into Jordan Scott who crossed into the box for Sam Kitson to score. The home keeper did keep them in the game just before the break with two great saves from Stanley’s Josh Wilson. Stanley levelled the score on seventy minutes when Danny Chandler latched on to a long ball. Boco hit the crossbar on eighty one minutes, but Stanley stole the game in time added when a mistake in the home defence allowed Chandler to round the keeper for the winner.

Southmead CS Athletic are really struggling at present and suffered another home defeat going down six – nil to Gala Wilton. Liam Dyer got the first on twelve minutes followed by a brace from Dion Lee on twenty one and thirty eight minutes. Second half the visitors netted three more through Dave Wilkinson on fifty three minutes, Myron Turner on seventy five minutes and the final goal from Sam Hicks in time added at the end of ninety minutes.

16th August 2014 - Berkeley see off Southmead

Chipping Sodbury Town have got off to a flying start to the season with three wins in succession. New club AEK Boco has also got a one hundred percent start to the season with three wins out of three.

Southmead CS Athletic have got off to a dreadful start havening lost all their games so far and have failed to score a goal. Henbury have also lost all their three games and have also failed to find the back of the net.

Berkeley Town recorded their first win of the season with a four – nil victory over basement club Southmead CS Athletic. The visitor’s looked the better side in the first fifteen minutes and went close on several occasions. Berkeley should have opened the scoring in the seventeenth minute but a good cross in from the right saw Sam Strickland skew his header wide from four yards. A minute later the visitor’s keeper made a brave tackle on Strickland to deny a certain scoring chance. The home side took the lead on twenty minutes from a free kick taken from the half way mark that was floated into the box and Tom Palmer’s header caught keeper Ashley Newman out of position as he saw the ball float over his head into the net. Four minutes later the home side scored again this time from the penalty spot after Strickland was fouled in the box. Strickland took the penalty himself and sent the keeper the wrong way. Newman then brought off a great save to deny Sam Strickland getting a third goal for the home side.

Dan Gayner should have given the home side a three – nil lead the first minute into the second half but shot wide with only Newman to beat. Southmead were reduced to ten men in the fifty first minute when Luke Coghlan was dismissed for a second bookable offence. The visitors did rally and only a great clearance form Richard Reece denied Southmead a goal. In the fifty seventh minute Dwayne Popes shot from the edge of the box had home keeper Ryan Neale at full stretch. Berkeley went three up in the seventy send minute from a free kick just outside the box well struck by Tom Palmer and although Newman got his hand to it he could not prevent it going in. Right on time Sam Strickland was put clear down the right and fired the ball across Newman into the far corner for a forth goal.

Two hattricks from Byron Ranford and Darryl Addis saw Ellwood go mad at home to Bishops Cleeve Reserves firing seven into the visitors net and only conceding one at the other end. Ranford opened the scoring on twenty minutes, but Cleeve hit back five minutes later with a goal from Chris Parsons. Two goals from Darryl Addis on thirty and thirty five minutes gave the home side a three one lead at the break. Ranford netted his second with a header at the far post on fifty five minutes and then five minutes later completed his hattrick with a shot from the edge of the box. Junior Saunders made it six – one and then Addis completed the scoring with his third near the end.

Kingswood kept their home record in tact with a two – nil win over Yate Town Reserves. Tom Higgins gave them the lead on forty one minutes when he turned in the box and coolly planted the ball home. A second form Ben Vale on fifty minutes sealed the three points for the home side.

Chipping Sodbury are going great guns this season having won all of their first three games. It was visitors Gala Wilton who dominated the first fifteen minutes and opened the scoring from a corner headed home by Dave Wilkinson. Sodbury woke up after that and levelled the score on twenty three minutes when Ollie Clark and James Mackie interchanged passes before Mackie found the back of the net. James Mackie put the home side in front on fifty minutes with a good shot and in the ninetieth minute Danny Coombes was put clear with a one on one situation to make it three – one - final score.

AEK Boco have won their first three game and are sitting second in the table. The attendance of one hundred and eighty spectators must certainly help the home side. Liam Powell set Darren Werrett up to open the scoring on nineteen minutes. Henbury created several chances but have found goals hard to come by so far this season. The visitors found themselves an the back foot for most of the game but held the score-line to one – nil until the last five minutes when Boco netted a second through Jack Green on eighty five minutes with Jordan Scott rounding the scoring off near the end.

Thornbury Town went down four – two at home to newly promoted Cheltenham Civil Service. Jack Sklenar open the scoring for the visitors on nineteen minutes and it remained that way until just after the break when the visitors netted two quick goals. John Evans got the first on forty nine minutes and two minutes later Sklenar netted his second. Thornbury hit back with a Pete Fowler goal on sixty seven minutes and then made the score three – two when Craig Lancastle scored on seventy two minutes. Cheltenham made the game safe in time added with a goal from Stuart Midwinter

In a very evenly contested game between Bristol Telephones and Kings Stanley, the home side grabbed the three points in the fortieth minute with the only goal of the game netted by debutant Joe Goddard.

Frampton United picked up their second win of the week with a four – two victory over Patchway Town. United went into the break leading four – nil. The opening goal on fourteen minutes came from a dreadful back pass by a Patchway defender allowing Chris Fower to nip in and drive the ball into the top corner. Stuart Maule made it two on twenty two minutes after the ball rebounded to him on the edge of the box. A minute later Maule curled a great shot into the net for a three – nil lead. Two minutes before the break Chris Fower was brought down in the box and hauled himself up to net the penalty. Patchway hit back in the second half with a brace of goals from Simon Knight. The first on sixty eight minutes was a shot across the keeper and the second in the seventy ninth minute was from a free kick that gave the home keeper no chance.

Rockleaze Rangers entertained Hanham Athetic at Coombe Dingle, both teams crated chances but neither team managed to break the deadlock with the score-line finishing nil – nil.

9th August 2014 - AEK Boco win on debut

Chipping Sodbury have started the season with a bang as they hit seven past the Southmead CS Athletic defence without reply. New Club AEK Boco got their season off to a good start with a 4-2 success over Bristol Telephones. Elsewhere Ellwood netted four at home to Henbury, but last year’s bottom club went down two – one at home to Kings Stanley.

AEK Boco got off to a flying start at Greenbank Road they took the game to the visitors right from the start. Jordan Scott showed his intent as he broke down the left to send over a telling cross that was scrambled away by Telephones defence after five minutes. A couple of minutes later Darren Werrett was put clear but his shot struck the upright. The home side took a deserved lead in the twelfth minute when Jack Green moved over the left side sent over a cross for Jordan Scott to head past keeper Chris Blammon. Telephones first effort on goal came after seventeen minutes Marc Griffiths just wide of the target. The home side took a two – nil lead on twenty five minutes from a great piece of skill out on the left by Jordan Scott who squeezed the ball past two defenders for Dan De-Gay to turn and hook his shot into the far corner. Thirty one minutes saw the home side take a three – nil lead from a long ball pumped into the box for Dan De-Gay to loop his header over the keeper. The home side were cruising at this stage and had a couple of further chances to increase the score, buy they slipped up in the forty second minute from a free kick sent into the box by Mike Grist and hesitation cost them dearly as Marc Griffiths headed home.

The home side slipped up again five minutes into the second half when Martin Blacker broke into the Boco box and was up ended by Rich Sperring to give Telephones a penalty. Luke Palmer coolly slotted the ball home to bring the score to three – two. Telephones pushed up a lot more and held a high back line trying to get the equalising goal and it also stifled the home side play, but there is always a chance of a breakaway. Boco almost made it four on fifty eight minutes when Jordan Scott had a clear shot on goal but it took a deflection out for a corner. Telephones were caught out in the sixty third minute from a quick break out of defence Scott fed the ball to Dan De-Gay who split the visitors defence with a superb ball to Jack Green on the right and he made no mistake from the edge of the box. A well deserved win for the home side.

Chipping Sodbury Town have hit the ground running with a four – nil win in the Cup on Wednesday and firing seven past Southmead CS Athletic today. Three players hit a brace of goals each – Danny Coombes – Ollie Clark and James Mackie with Mike Beacham netting the other. Justin Cattle flicked the ball through to Danny Coombes to volley home after five minutes. Ollie Clark made it two on twenty one minutes with hard low free kick into the bottom corner. The third goal came in the fortieth minute when James Mackie headed home at the far post from a Danny Coombes cross. Two minutes into the secong half Ollie Clark drove home his second. It was five – nil on fifty eight minutes with a goal from Mike Beacham. James Mackie made it six when he got in front of the Southmead defender from a Justin Cattle cross. The final goal on sixty minutes was a classy chip over the keeper from Danny Coombes.

Ellwood got off to a good start but it took them until the sixtieth minute and bringing on Darryl Addis of the subs bench to open the scoring. The second was a little fortunate as an Henbury defender put though his own goal in the seventy fifth minute. Darryl Addis netted his second on eighty minutes latching on to a long ball out of defence before chipping the keeper from twenty yards. Debutant Julian Saunders got the fourth when he was put clear on goal, his first effort was blocked by the visitors keeper but he got the ball in the net at the second attempt.

Berkeley Town almost pulled of a shock against Kings Stanley after taking the lead in the seventeenth minute when Steve Crowcombe netted from the edge of the box. Just after that Sam Strickland missed a glorious chance to put the home side two up. Stanley netted two late goals to steal the points. Liam Gale scored the equaliser in the eighty third minute and then in time added Liam Gales low cross was turned in by Danny Chandler.

Bishops Cleeve Reserves went a goal down after twenty five minutes with an Adam Grinter strike to give Hanham Athletic the lead. The home side levelled on thirty two minutes from a Chris Parsons cross to the far post turned in by James Pickup. Hanham had more of the play in the second half but were undone in the seventy seventh minute when Jamie Locks cross to the edge of the box was driven home by Daniel Gittings.

Frampton United have failed to score in their first two outing of the season. In a tight game that might have gone either way both sides missed chances. Myron Turner should have given Gala the lead on eighteen minutes but fired wide with just the keeper to beat. Chris Fower had his shot saved in the forty first minute that could have given Frampton the lead. Ryan Vincent shot over the bar in the forty sixth minute in a one on one situation another Frampton chance went begging. The only goal of the game came in the forty ninth minute a fantastic thirty yard free kick from Gala’s Lee Allen that gave the home keeper no chance.

Kingswood found themselves trailing two – nil after twenty six minutes at home to Rockleaze Rangers. Two goals in two minute the first from Ben Lear on twenty four minutes and a second from Richard Bray two minutes later put the visitors in the driving seat. Kingswood were having none of that and hit back in the thirtieth minute with first of two goals from Gary Simons. Tom Higgins levelled the score from the penalty spot in the forty sixth minute and two minutes later a mistake in the Rangers defence allowed Gary Simons in to score his second and give the home side the lead. Two minutes from the end Kingswood were awarded a second penalty but this time Tom Higgins failed to find the back of the net.