league logo

MARCLIFF Gloucestershire County Football League

sponsor logo

Ron's Match Reports

27th December 2014 - Thornbury Town move into cup semis

With Cheltenham Civil Service playing in the Les James League Cup Completion today it gave the two Clubs in second and third place a chance to close the gap. Both Chipping Sodbury Town and Kings Stanley won closing the gap to six points.

At the bottom of the table Berkeley Town picked up a point at Gala Wilton to move them off the bottom of the table and be replaced by Bishops Cleeve Reserves whose game was postponed.

Only four League fixtures were played today the other two were the 2nd round of the Les James League Cup.

Thornbury Town progress to the Semi-final with a 4-1 success at home to Bristol Telephones. Right from the off the visitors played a very high line with their back four pushing up all the time. It was almost certainly the cause of their departure from the Cup Competition this season. The first attempt on goal after 6 minutes was a low shot from Thornbury’s Mark Viner that was never going to give keeper Andy Clark any problems. From the very first corner of the game awarded to Telephones they took the lead. The cross came over was cleared to the edge of the box and was sent back into the six yard box where Ryan Hicks rose to glance his header past James Lewis. Thornbury were back in the game after 12 minutes when Danny Thompson broke down the right sent in a rasping shot that Clark failed to hold and it looped over him into the net. Craig Lancastle was next to show his talent with a good shot that went just wide of the upright. A couple of minutes later Viner sent Rob Wilks clear on goal but Clark saved well from his shot. On 27 minutes Lewis had to get down low to save well from a Dhani Golding free kick. Telephones had a good chance to take the lead right on half time as Ryan Webber got free on the right and sent over a great cross into the box only to see it fly away to the other side of the ground when Golding was unable to get on the end of it.

Thornbury started well in the second half and Luke Franklin wasted a good chance when he fired over the bar. Telephones Martin Blacker then saw his goal bound shot pushed away for a corner by Lewis. Thornbury took the lead in the 58th minute from a great move by Craig Lancastle who got clear down the right and then sent a low cross into Luke Franklin to fire home from 6 yards. Thornbury were beginning to get on top and Rob Wilks had a great chance to score a third goal but his attempted chip over Clark failed and the keeper collected easily. In the 63rd minute Telephones were awarded a free kick on the edge of the box and Mike Grist’s shot was only just wide of the upright. Lewis brought off another good save in 76th minute this time from a Kyren Hunt effort on goal. Telephones pushed hard and in the 86th minute full back Joe Goddard’s 30 yard drive thundered against the cross bar. Thornbury then scored two late goals the first on 88 minutes stemed from a corner that was half cleared and Mark Viners shot from 25 yards looked to be going wide until Pete Fowler deflected his header into the far corner well away from Clark. In time added at the end the home side netted a forth goal. Craig Lancastle sent a low cross in from the left and Scott Macleod was at the far post to drive the ball home.

In the other Cup game played today Cheltenham Civil Service also progress to the Semi-final with a 4-0 victory at Henbury. Honours were even until the 18th minute when a great cross from Stuart Midwinter was spilled by the home keeper and Jack Sklenar was on hand to give them the lead. 4 minutes later Midwinter was involved again sending over a great cross fro Pail Holmes to sweep the ball home. A third goal after 25 minutes put the home side on the back foot and it stemmed from a Henbury corner that was quickly cleared up field for Stuart Midwinter to lob the ball over the home keeper. Henbury’s only real chance came from Ed Wright who saw his shot cleared off the line. The visitors got a forth goal on 85 minutes netted by Jamie Gowers.

Chipping Sodbury continue in good form with a 3-0 win over visitors Patchway Town Sodbury were up for the kill right from the off and took a deserved lead on 15 minutes when James Mackie fired home at the far post from a Danny Coombes cross. Patchway were reduced to 10 men on 44 minutes when Matt Webb was sent off for a bad tackle followed by abusive language to the match official. The home side went 2-0 up on 56 minutes when Danny Coombes sent a low drive past the visitor’s keeper from 15 yards. Ben Weaver who came on as a sub last week and again this week was again on the score sheet again after 75 minutes heading home from yet another Danny Coombes cross. Patchway offered very little in the 90 minutes and only had one really good chance a header that was well saved by home keeper Chris Simsek.

Berkeley Town have moved off the bottom of the table after picking up a valuable point at Gala Wilton Berkeley were first to show and only a good save from Jack Stokes in the home goal prevented them taking the lead. At the other end Miles Palmer saved well from Sammy Hicks. It was the home side who went ahead in the 26th minute When Greg Artus rose above the Berkeley defence to head home from a corner. The home side had a glorious chance to go 2-0 up on 35 minutes but Myron Turners penalty was well saved by Miles Palmer. A minute later Berkeley were level when Gary Toal set up Tom Palmer to score. Berkeley were reduced to ten men in the second half when Chris Andrews was yellow carded for a second time. The home side were unable to take advantage and the visitors were more than happy with a point.

Kings Stanley made hard work of this victory but credit must go to Southmead CS Athletic for putting up ,a good fight. Stanley had a good chance to take the lead on 20 minutes but Danny Chandlers goalbound shot was blocked. The visitors shocked the home side on 28 minutes when a long diagonal ball was picked up by Rob Sivers to put them in the lead. A reckless tackle by Danny Glancy in the 35th minute gave the home side the chance to level the score from the penalty spot. Further verbal’s from the Southmead player gave the referee no option but to send him off. Chandler then converted the spot kick. The winner for Stanley came in the 80th minute when Southmead were unable to clear from a rebound of their upright and Dan Mcnally was there to fire the ball home.

Yate Town Reserves continue to climb the table after their excellent 3-1 win at home to Hanham Athletic. The highlight for the home side was undoubtedly the hat-trick netted by Lewis Fogg. All four goals came in the first 45 minutes and the visitors could have taken the lead after 15 minutes but Shaun Morris’s penalty was well saved by home keeper Dan Worton. The opening goal on 25 minutes was an excellent bit of play by Joe Guest who got behind the visitor’s defence before squaring the ball back for Lewis Fogg to tap the ball into an empty net. 2 minutes later Fogg broke down the left drew the keeper them dummied him before driving the ball home. Yate went 3-0 up on 45 minutes with a great cross from Liam Vaulters who had managed to get behind the Hanham defence before sliding the ball to Lewis Fogg to complete his hattrick. The visitors did pull a goal back in time added at the end of the 45 minutes with a strike from Rob Burton.

20th December 2014 - Chipping Sodbury see off Bishops Cleeve

No change at the top after all three teams picked up 3 points

At the bottom of the table Berkeley Town and Patchway win whilst Bishops Cleeve Res lose and Yate Town Res drew. Only 4 points separate the bottom four Clubs.

Chipping Sodbury Town kept up their challenge with a convincing 4-0 win at home to Bishops Cleeve Reserves. The home side started brightly and two good early chances were missed by Justin Cattle and James Mackie. The home side looked much the better side but had to wait until the 26th minute to open the scoring when a brilliant through ball from Sam Jenkins gave James Mackie the opportunity to drive the ball past the keeper from 15 yards. A Danny Coombes cross from the right on 35 minutes saw Justin Cattle rise to head home the second. Danny Coombes was involved with the third goal on 65 minutes with another cross from the right that was headed home by Alex Fox. Sodbury made it 4-0 on 63 minutes when new signing Ben Weaver came on as a sub and with his first touch picked up the rebound of the post from a Danny Coombes shot to score. Bishops Cleeve never really got a look in and only forced one corner throughout the game.

Berkeley Town followed on their draw from last weeks game with an excellent 2-0 win at home to Henbury. The first 45 minutes failed to produce any goals but the visitors did hit the crossbar. The home side took full advantage of the extra man after Henbury had a player sent of on 50 minutes as they went ahead 8 minutes later when Dan Turner capitalised on a back pass that the Henbury keeper fumbled allowing Turner to run the ball into the net. Turner was involved in the second goal on 72 minutes when he was upended in the box. Tom Palmer fired the ball home from the spot. In the dying seconds Berkeley almost gat a third but the free kick hit the post.

Cheltenham continued their good form with 2-0 win at Hanham Athletic. The two goals that were both scored in the first 25 minutes came from defensive errors by the home side. Leading goalscorer Jack Sklenar got the first on 15 minutes and the second 10 minutes later was driven in by Jamie Lock.

Kings Stanley inflicted another defeat on Kingswood whose early season form seams to have deserted them at present. It was the visitors who went in front after 10 minutes when the Stanley defence were napping when Kingswood took a quick free kick and Frank Hitchings lifted the ball over Ashley Gale for the lead. Stanley levelled after 25 minutes with a good move between a numbers of players of which led to Danny Chandler tapping the ball home. A really well struck shot from just outside the box by Ben Newman on 44 minutes gave Stanley a 2-1 lead at the break. Ian Evans the visitors keeper brought off to great saves in the 65th and 67th minute to keep his side in the game. Kingswood had a great chance to level on 80 minutes but the cross was headed wide. In the 85th minute Stanley caught Kingswood on the break with Danny Chandler rounding Evans before rolling the ball home. A mix up in the goalmouth by Evans and a couple of defenders gave Brad Moore the chance to stab the ball home for a fourth and final goal right on 90 minutes.

Bristol Telephones whose fixture was switched to the home of Southmead looked in full control in the first 45 minutes but got hit on the break twice to concede two goals scored by Andy Makepeice to give Southmead CS Athletic a 2-0 lead at the break. At the beginning of the second half only a brilliant tackle from Marc Griffiths prevented Southmead a third goal. Telephones suddenly woke up and reduced the arrears’ with a strike from just inside the box by Ryan Webber, A Ryan Hicks header made it all square before Mike Grist headed the Phones in front. Dhani Golding rose to head home number four and with 5 minutes left Ryan Webber netted the fifth with a shot from just inside the box.

A 2-0 win over Ellwood has moved Patchway Town out of the bottom two. Neither side were able to break the deadlock in the first 45 minutes. Patchway brought on John Adams midway through the second half and this turned out to be a great move as he picked up the ball rounded two defenders before firing the ball into the Ellwood net. Adams was also involved in the second goal in the 85th minute being fouled just outside the box and getting a free kick. Up stepped Charlie Collins to drive the ball home from the kick and gain 3 important points.

The game between Frampton United and Rockleaze Rangers never really pulled up any trees. The best chance in the first half fell to the home side in the 21st minute Chris Fower’s powerful header was pushed over the bar by Rangers keeper. The only goal of the game on 84 minutes came from a Manola Marquez Espada corner that was headed home by Dan Huxstep. Rangers only real chance came 3 minutes later when Aaron Day headed just wide from a corner.

With 110 supporters watching and on a bobbley pitch which both sides struggled at times to get the ball under control and a score that probably flatters the eventual winners. The first goal came for the visitors in the 20 min from Alex Pritchard. A fine goal from Darren Werrett cutting in from wide to curl the ball low around the keeper at the far post made it 1-1 at half time. On 50 minutes against the run of play Sean Bennett made it 2-1 to the visitors. The goal of the game came in the 70th min with a stunning 30 yard free kick from Liam Powell. The home side continued to bombard the visitors with chance after chance being missed. A double sending off in the 69 minute saw Jack Withy for Boco and Craig Howells for the visitors both see red. Missed chances was to be the undoing of the home side as in the 85th minute a chance from nothing was converted by Martin Smith for the visitors and they held out for the last 5 minutes to inflict a second successive defeat at home for AEK Boco.

It was a 0-0 scoreline at Thornbury Town where Yate Town Res were the visitors. A game which was limited to a couple of chances one for each side I think determined the final score. Nathan Sage saw his looping header strike the crossbar on 50 minutes. Whilst Yate were limited to a gaol-mouth scramble in which they thought the ball had crossed the line but was waved away by the officials.

13th December 2014 - Sklenar sends Civil Service clear

Cheltenham Civil Service are now 9 points clear of their nearest rivals Chipping Sodbury Town and Kings Stanley following their win at home to Thornbury Town.

Bishops Cleeve Reserves move out of the bottom two with a home win over Ellwood and Patchway Town take their place.

Cheltenham Civil Service are going to be hard to catch if they continue with the form shown so far this season. They made sure of the 3 points today with a superb performance in the first 45 minutes against Thornbury Town at Tewksbury Road. Nobody seems to be able to prevent leading Goalscorer Jack Sklenar from finding the back of their net. Another superb hat-trick in today’s game brings his tally to 30 for the season and we are just about half way through. Sklenar opened the scoring on 6 minutes after Thornbury failed to clear and he hammered the ball past Alex Lippiatt. The home side may well have been 2-0 up on 14 minutes when Paul Holmes was clear on goal but hit his shot straight to Lippiatt. At the other end home keeper Tim Griffiths had to push Luke Franklins shot away for a corner on 23 minutes. 2 minutes later Cheltenham were awarded a penalty Jack Sklenar hit his shot hard to the right of Lippiatt who went the right way and got his finger tips to the ball but it was too powerful. Thornbury hit back and pulled a goal back on 30 minutes with a powerful drive from Luke Franklin that was only parried away by the home keeper Tim Griffiths as it went straight to Craig Lancastle who drove the ball home. The home side went 3-1 up on 35 minutes from a break down the left by Sklenar and his low cross to the far post was met by Stuart Midwinter. Sklenar completed his hattrick in the 43rd minute when the Thornbury defence were opened up and he majestically ran clear to fire past Lippiatt.

The second half went flat for the home side and the visitor’s enjoyed much more of the possession and they should have pulled a goal back on 53 minutes but Craig Lancastle fired wide of the target from 14 yards. Thornbruy’s second was a very good move down the right flank to the edge of the box where the ball was squared back where Toby Bennett was waiting to hit a superb drive past Griffiths. There were a couple of close encounters for the visitors but the home defence held firm.

Bishops Cleeve Resrves did themselves some good with a cracking 4-0 home victory over Ellwood who by all accounts looked a little out of sorts on the day. This game also produced a hattrick from Cleeves Ashley Hill who found the back of the net 3 times in the first 28 minutes. His opening goal on 15 minutes came from a cross to the far post from Giles Elliott. His second on 20 minutes was a superb Chip from the edge of the box. He turned his third in from close range after the ball ran loose in the box. With the visitors offering very little the home side got a forth on 75 minutes when Giles Elliot squeezed the ball home from a narrow angle.

AEK Boco struck back with a vengeance after last weeks defeat at home with a 6-2 win at Henbury. The opening goal on 10 minutes went the visitors when home keeper Jamie Framiloe punched the ball into his own net from a corner. Henbury levelled it up on 15 minutes this time they had a little fortune as Kane Simpsons shot also took a deflection on its way in. Boco then retook the lead when they were awarded a penalty in the 33rd minute after a Dale Simpson foul in the box. Liam Crewe took the kick which was brilliantly saved by Framiloe but Crewe followed up from the rebound to drive the ball home. 2 minutes later Boco were 3-0 up from a cross come shot from Darren Werrett that deceived everyone and dropped into the net. Werrett netted a second from just inside the box on 38 minutes to give the visitors a comfortable 4-1 lead at the break. In the 55th minute Henbury made it 4-2 and it came from an Aaron Rosser free kick that looked to be missing the target but was deflected of the boot of a Boco defender past his own keeper. Boco wrapped the points up in the last 6 minutes with two further strikes. The first on 84 minutes was a shot from Jack Withy from outside the box and a second on 86 minutes was shot from James Laver.

Gala Wilton and Chipping Sodbury Town had to settle for a point each. But Sodbury could well have been 1-0 up on 5 minutes but for a superb overhead clearance off the line by Ben Jones. The home side had a couple of chances to take the lead before Justin Cattle put Sodbury ahead in the 38th minute from a long free kick knocked into the box. A scrambled goal from Myron Turner in the 47th minute put the scores level. Ruben Draper then restored the lead for the visitor’s midway through the second half. Mike Perris the player manager for Gala then brought himself on and managed to salvage a point for the home side in the 88th minute.

Yate Town Reserves are playing much better these days and the results are beginning to come. The raced into a 2-0 lead in the first 16 minutes of this home game with Kingswood. The first on 12 minutes was a superb 25 yard shot by Lewis Fogg that struck the post and finished up in the roof of the net. A header from Mike Connor on 16 minutes gave them a 2-0 cushion. Kingswood had the chance to reduce the arrear4s on 60 minutes from the penalty spot but Simon Clarke’s penalty struck the upright. Kingswood made it 2-1 on 75 minutes with a shot into the bottom corner by Gary Simmons. Yate had to stand some extra pressure for the last 15 minutes but held on for the win.

Kings Stanley won this game by the odd goal in five after taking the lead twice and were pegged back on both occasions. This defeat for Bristol Telephones is the third in a row. Stanley got off to a great start with a goal on 2 minutes. Ben Newman’s cross was turned in by Danny Chandler. This was the start of another hattrick for the afternoon. On 20 minutes a lo0ng ball into the box found Dhani Golding to make the score 1-1. Chandler fired the home side back into the lead on 23 minutes with a superb 20 yard free kick into the top corner. Right on half time Telephone drew level again with a second from Dhani Golding. The visitors almost took the lead in the 80th minute but for a tremendous save by Ashley Gale. Stanley stole the show right on time as Chandler scored for a third time with a shot that went in off the post.

A solitary goal in the 80th minute from Rockleaze Rangers Ed Freeman was enough to seal the three points at Hanham Athletic.

Patchway Town fall to yet another home defeat and slipped to second from bottom in the table. The visitors today Frampton United took the lead on 32 minutes with a far post knock in by Steve Jackson. The visitors went 2-0 up after 52 minutes when a mistake by Matt Webb losing the ball to Steve Jackson who rounded the keeper to score. The home side did eventually get on the score sheet in the 80th minute with a goal from Brandon Benjamin after returning to action after a long lay off due to a broken leg.

Southmead CS Athletic and Berkley Town were unable to break the deadlock and the game finished 0-0. Luke Coghlan hit the cross bar in the first half for Southmead. Berkeley keeper Miles Palmer also brought off to great saves to keep his side in the game early in the second half. Berkeley Town hit the post but both teams do have a problem scoring goals this season.

6th December 2014 - Wilson strikes as Southmead shock AEK Boco

Cheltenham Civil Service opened up a seven point lead at the top after some unexpected results elsewhere in the league. Two shocks of the day was the win by Southmead CS Athletic at AEK Boco and Berkeley Town defeating Bristol Telephones.

In front of the best crowd of the day 100 spectators Southmead CS Athletic pulled of great win at Greenbank Road that saw AEK Boco suffer their first home defeat of the season. This games lack of goalmouth action throughout always looked as though one goal may take the points. The first 28 minutes of the game saw the ball being pinged about the field but with no real chances being created. The best chance of the first half fell to the visitors and Aaron Wilson who will be wondering how he missed a low cross that sped across the six yard box with an empty net gaping. The home side only good chance came in the 33 minute when a good free kick from the right was headed over the bar by Richard Sperring. A speculative ship by Aaron Wilson from the edge of the box attempting to lift the ball over keeper Joe Pople went wide of the post.

The home side should have opened the scoring on 58 minutes after a ball was knocked into the box and from around 12 yards Ben Menear found the space to volley the ball at goal but his connection was poor and the ball went straight into the arms of Nick Bowering. At this stage of the game the home side looked marginally better and a 20 yard drive from Menear went just over the bar. Southmead shocked the home side in the 63rd minute from a corner played into Aaron Wilson and he drove the ball home from the edge of the box. Boco pushed hard in the latter stages to try to get the equalising goal but the visitors held firm and were elated at the end of the game to have gained the three points.

Berkeley Town closed the gap at the bottom of the table with a surprise 2-1 win over Bristol Telephones. Neither side could break the deadlock in the first 45 minutes but in the 50th minute the visitors had the opportunity to do just that when they were given a penalty. Phones Dhani Golding was given the chance to put the visitors ahead but failed when home keeper Miles Palmer brought of a brilliant save from the spot kick. The home side then went in front on 61 minutes from a long ball over Phones defence that found Luke Palmer to coolly slot the ball into the net. A second goal 8 minutes later from an almost identical move gave Joe Blakeney the chance to round the keeper and slide the ball home. The home side found themselves two goals in front with 20 minutes to play and they held out until the 87th minute when they conceded a second penalty this time put away by Adam Gregory to make it 2-1. They saw out the last few minutes out to record a memorable win.

Rather a surprise result at Chipping Sodbury Town as the home side fell to the second defeat of the season going down 2-1 to Henbury. The home side might have been a couple of goal to the good in the first 5 minutes but for some poor finishing by Danny Coombes. After that early flurry the home side lost their way and fell behind to 43 minute goal from Kane Simpson who volleyed home Danny Simpsons cross. It remained 1-0 until the 87th minute when Neil Ward knocked down Ollie Clarks cross for Justin Cattle to finish off. The visitors grabbed all there points in the 89th minute when Kane Simpson bundled in his second of the afternoon and the winner for Henbury.

That man Jack Sklenar cannot stop scoring as he bagged another hat-trick in Cheletenham Civil Service’s 5-3 win at Kingswood. It was the home side who raced in to a 2-0 lead after 10 minutes. The first on 5 minutes was an excellent finish by Ryan Mudd and then 5 minutes later Mudd sent Simon Clarke clear for the second. Jack Sklenar made it 2-1 on 20 minutes with a superb curling free kick from 20 yard right in the top corner of the net. Ryan Smith levelled the score on 35 minutes with an equally good goal that curled into the roof of the net from just inside the box. The visitors then took the lead on 60 minutes with a 30 yard free kick from Teejay Bick. The home side soon made amends and made it 3-3 on 65 minutes a penalty from Simon Clarke after Ryan Mudd had been felled in the box. Cheltenham then netted two more goals in the last 10 minute both coming from Jack Sklenar. The first on 80 minutes as he lobbed the keeper after picking up a ball hit over the home defence by Ryan Smith. Sklenar then completed his hatt-rick on 88 minutes when the ball was squared back to the edge of the box and he coolly dispatched it into the roof of the Kingswood net.

Frampton United dented Bishops Cleeve Reserves chances of moving up the table when they ran out 2-1 winners at the Bell Field. The home side took the lead on 34 minutes when Chris Fower was brought down in the box. Fower took the penalty that was saved by the keeper but the Assistant Referee indicated that the goalkeeper was well of his line and the penalty had to be retaken. Lee Driver Dickerson player manager took the second penalty and made no mistake. A second goal on 67 minutes for the home side a great ball from Joe Wilton to Steve Jackson to make it 2-0. Bishops Cleeve picked up a late consolation goal when James Pickup netted from the penalty spot.

Yate Town Reserves gave Kings Stanley a shock when they went 2-0 up after 30 minutes. The home side looked the better side for the first 15 minutes but could not break through. Yate went a head on 25 minutes when the home side were caught out by a quick free kick and Sam Gilchrist scored. 5 minutes later the visitors broke away and Gilchrist netted his second of the afternoon. Just before the break Danny Chandler struck the post for the home side. Stanley pulled a goal back on 55 minutes when a long free kick floated into the box was stabbed home by Ben Newman. In the 65th minute Liam Gale hit the post and from the rebound Danny Chandler struck the other upright. Yate defence was split wide open allowing Jake Davies to put home side on equal terms on 67 minutes with a great goal. Yate almost got a third but for a great save from Ashley Gale. Then with 5 minutes to go Stanley had the ball scrambled off the line and that could well have given them the three points.

Rockleaze Rangers are thankful for a point after Thornbury Town had pushed then to the limit especially in the second half. Thornbury could well have taken the lead on 8 minutes when Rangers keeper Burgess made a mess of clearing the ball and it fell to Danny Thompson 30 yards out with a clear shot on goal but the effort went wide of the post. Anther chance went begging for the visitors on 24 minutes when nobody was able to get on to a low cross into the box from Wilks. It was the home side who went a head from the penalty spot on 37 minutes. Town keeper Alex Lippiatt brought down Tobis Hart and Jack Dempsey made no mistake from 12 yards. The visitors were unlucky in the 65th minute when Pete Fowlers bullet header struck the post. Town did however get their reward in the 72nd minute from a long corner to the far post that struck Rangers Ed Freeman and fell nicely for Nathan Sage to drive home.

After two games of picking up points Patchway Town failed today when they were beaten by a solitary goal at home to Hanham Athletic. Nothing to write home about in the first 45 minutes with the deadlock being broken in the 55th minute when Andy Graham’s mistake allowed George Cryer a run at goal, he rounded another home defender before driving the ball low into the net. Patchway got the ball in the net very late on but it was ruled out.

Both Ellwood and Gala Wilton had to be satisfied with a point each in the Frest of Dean. Another goalless 45 minutes, the deadlock broken in the 60th minute when Jack James latched onto a long ball over the home defence to put the visitor’s 1-0 up. The home side snatched a point right at the death when Gary Wildin headed home at the far post.