league logo

MARCLIFF Gloucestershire County Football League

sponsor logo

Ron's Match Reports

31st August 2015 - Southmead give new manager winning start

AEK Boco are the only team with a 100% record after 4 games completed. The two other clubs undefeated so far are Frampton United and Patchway Town

At the bottom of the table both Cheltenham Civil Service and Yate Town Reserves have yet to get off the mark.

Southmead CS Athletic have brought in a new management team to stop the rot after failing to field a side last Saturday. It certainly did the trick for today’s game as they gained their first three points with a 2-0 win over Yate Town Reserves. Yate were first to break and get a shot on goal but Mike Alvis’s shot was just wide of the post. At the other end Danny Glancey was only just wide after he had chipped the Yate keeper Dan Worton. Luke Coghlan was next on target for the home side that saw Worton diving to save. The home side went ahead on 26 minutes after the referee spotted a push in the box by the Yate defender and Andy Makepeace stepped up to score from the spot. Worton was the busier of the two keepers as he pulled down Ryan Stevensons powerful shot on 31 minutes. A great run down the right by Alvis almost brought a goal for Yate but his shot from a very tight angle was palmed away by the home keeper Ed Hanbury. Just a minute later Danny Glancey cleared off the line from a James Kenway shot. Yate had a free kick 25 yards out on the left side of the box which Jack Dempsey took and it brought a very good save from Hanbury who could not hold the ball but Southmead got it away. Just before the break Mike Alvis had a great chance to level the score as a long ball to the edge of the six yard box was brought under control by the striker made space for the shot but blasted the ball over the bar.

The first minute into the second half Glancey sent over a glorious cross from the left and the unmarked Ryan Stevenson had a clear header on goal but put it over the bar. Yate Town’s Jamel Fisher went close with a 25 yard free kick in the 54th minute. In the 68th minute Worton brought off a great save to deny Leevan Uhlyck after the speedy winger had got behind the Yate defence. On 84 minutes Southmead had a great chance to increase the lead again from the penalty spot Tom Wingent was the guilty party handling Uhlyck’s cross. Makepeace stepped up again but this time Worton guest right and brought off a great save. Within one minute Southmead got that second all important goal after the ball had been backwards and forwards in the six yard box before the clearance was picked up by Aaron Wilson who drove his shot from the edge of the box into the Yate net.

AEK Boco are clear leaders after four games and are yet to drop a point. They did however fall behind after 2 minutes with a goal from Henbury’s Alex Monks. That lead last four minutes when Boco’s Jack Withy rose to head home from a free kick. Henbury regained the lead on 14 minutes when Scott Thomas headed home. Boco levelled again on 28 minutes when Ben Menear turned in a Jordan Scott cross. The home side went in front for the first time on 33 minutes when Jordan Scott’s shot was handled on the line and Charlie Stevens netted from the spot kick. The home side netted a fourth on 50 minutes when Jordan Scott side footed Liam Jenkins cross home.

Gala Wilton recorded the biggest win of the day with a 5-1 win over Kingswood. Ryan Hughes was the star of the day for home side with a hattrick in 29 minutes. The first came after 18 minutes when he was put clear on goal. The second 2 minutes later came from a cross by Adam Hemming. The third was all his own work as he broke down the left rounded two defenders before firing a low shot across the keeper into the far corner. Kingswood got a goal back a minute before the break when Adam Eldridge scored from the penalty spot. Gala’s fourth goal came in the 58th minute after Liam Halliday and Craig Howell interchanged passes before crossing for Adam Hemming to drive a low shot into the bottom corner. The fifth and final goal was an excellent effort by Dorian Colling who turned on the edge of the box to fire home.

Hanham Athletic inflicted the first defeat for Hardwicke with a comfortable 4-1 success. Adam Grinter opened the scoring on 17 minutes when Jack Baber put a great through ball to the striker to score. Matt Vickery got the second on 38 minutes driving the ball home after it had been pinging around the six yard box a few seconds earlier. 2 minutes into the second half Will Matthews pulled a goal back for the visitors but there it stayed until the 63th minute when Hanham’s Rob Burton scored direct from a corner. In the 72th minute centre back Jack Tottle sealed the points when he thundered the ball home from just six yards.

Bristol Telephones recorded their first success of the season with a 3-1 win at home to Bishops Cleeve Reserves. The home side were well in control in the first 45 minutes and took the lead from the penalty spot on 17 minutes when Martin Blacker was upended and Luke Palmer scored his first goal of the season from the penalty spot. A second goal 2 minutes later a brilliant individual goal from Keiron Golding who picked up the ball in his own half charged forward straight down the centre of the pitch before playing a one two with brother Dhani and then going on to drive the ball home. Dhani Golding headed home a corner from Luke Palmer in the 79th minute to make it 3-0 but Cleeve scored in the very last minute when Ash Hill stabbed the ball home in a goalmouth scramble.

A brace from Kye Simpson gave Rockleaze Rangers a point at Patchway Town. The second draw for Town in three days. Simpson started the ball rolling for Rangers after 2 minutes with a goal from close range, but the home side hit back on 18 minutes from a cross into the box that was met by Sam Davies whose shot was blocked but it rebounded back to Davies who then saw the ball ricochet into the net. Rangers retook the lead on 32 minutes when a cross into the box was sliced and hit Kye Simpson for a very fortunate goal. Patchway’s new goal machine Raphael Waugh got the home side back on level terms when he took on two defenders before breaking through to drive the ball home. It all happened in the first 45 minutes and only a great shot from Kye Simpson that rattle the crossbar and an Mitch Brook shot that hit the upright was about the extent of the second half performance.

Cheltenham Civil Service still prop up the rest of the table after fourth defeat of the season. Broadwell Amateurs were the visitors to Tewksbury Road today. The home side stunned the visitors when they took the lead on 18 minutes when Dan Midwinter rose well to head home. It took Broadwell until the 50th minute to level when Ryan Wilks headed home at the far post from a long throw. Another header at the far post by Derek Roberts on 70 minutes put the visitors ahead and then in the 87th minute Ryan Wilks popped up at the far post again to slide the ball home.

Frampton United and Ellwood played out a goalless draw. There were however chances created throughout the game with Joe Wilson Ryan Vincent missing chances for the home side in the first half and Darryl Addis hit the post for the visitors. Matt Cook was only just wide in the 62nd minute for Frampton and then Frampton’s keeper Marklove kept Ellwood from stealing the points in the 83rd minute when he pushed Adam Price’s shot around the post.

29th August 2015 - Patchway and Frampton share spoils

The league are saddened to announce that King Stanley have withdrawn from the league. The league Secretary was informed on Tuesday.

AEK Boco move in to top spot with a resounding 7-1 win at Yate Town Reserves. Frampton United are second after their draw at Patchway Town. Three teams who are yet to get off the mark are Cheltenham Civil Service - Yate Town Reserves and Southmead CS Athletic.

Patchway Town who have had a great start to the season entertained Frampton United as league leaders before the game kicked off. Both teams were unbeaten but Frampton boasted a better goal difference. The game ended all square on 1-1 but the home side have only themselves to blame for that scoreline. In the 6th minute Matt Davies was put clear on goal took the ball around the visitors keeper got his shot on target but then saw Frampton’s Nathan Barnett clear the ball off the line. Frampton’s first shot on goal after 16 minutes was a 30 yard free kick that cleared the home defence but keeper Dan O’Brian’s safe hands came to the rescue. 2 minutes later Matt Cook 25 yard shot went just wide of the Patchway upright. At the other end James Marklove came off his line to dispossess Davies who was clear on goal. The visitors went ahead on 22 minutes from a goalmouth scramble that was eventually cleared but was picked up by Frampton’s Kris Bulley who unleashed an unstoppable 25 yard shot that flew past O’Brian in the home goal. In the 30th minute Bulley almost got a second from a header that hit the crossbar. Raphael Waugh made a great run down the right but his effort came to nothing as his cross just went clear across goal. In the 34th minute the home side had a great chance to level the score when the Frampton keeper James Marklove upended Waugh in the box, Sam Davies took the kick but Marklove brought off a fantastic save to deny the home side getting on level terms. 2 minutes before the break Matt Davies was brought down in the box for a second penalty this time Chad Horseman took the kick but it had the same ending as Marklove pushed the ball over the bar.

The second period saw the home side push on to try to get back in the game but Matt Davies missed a great chance early on and then Dan Cockram saw his 30 yard drive pushed over the bar by Marklove. The home side were creating the openings but the finishing let them down. Patchway did eventually get on level terms in the 75th minute from a great through ball from Rayon McLean to Raphael Waugh to beat his defender and slide the ball past Marklove. Frampton defended stoutly throughout the game and Patchway are still wondering how they only managed to score once.

AEK Boco Ran riot at Yate Town Reserves finding the back of the net no less than seven times with Yate only replying once. The home side started well and Ben Shine struck the crossbar in the 1st minute but a minute later they trailed 1-0 after Charlie Stevens sent his free kick over the wall onto the underside of the crossbar and in. Jason Thatcher made it two on 23 minutes and a low shot from Ben Menear put AEK three up. Yate went down to ten men when Matt Sumner was adjudged to be the last man after a foul in the box – But Britton brought off a great save to deny Charlie Stevens scoring from the spot. Jordan Connolly pulled a goal back for the home side but the visitors over powered the young Yate team with Ben Menear helping himself to 3 more goals to take his tally to four and Liam Jenkins netted number seven.

Kye Simpson was on target with four goals for Rockleaze Rangers in their 6-0 win at home to Cheltenham Civil Service. Simpson almost opened the scoring on 20 minutes but for some great goal keeping by the visitor’s keeper Steve Benbow. Rangers went mad 4 minutes before the break with a brace from Kye Simpson and one from Luke Flicker. Simpsons first on 41 minutes was a long pass from Fitzpatrick and he followed that up with a second 3 minutes later also set up by Fitzpatrick. Flickers goal right on half time came from a header. Kye Simpson completed his hattrick on 49 minutes and then scored a fourth from the edge of the box on the hour. A great save by visitor’s keeper Elliott Roberts from a penalty by Ed Freeman on 82 minutes kept the score at 5-0 but just a minute later Freeman’s shot from the edge of the box went in off the post to make it six. A good finish for Freeman who was playing his last game for the Club as he is moving to London.

The scoreline at Ellwood finished all square with a 1-1 draw with Gala Wilton. Ellwood had a great chance to take the lead on 17 minutes when Matt Addis was brought down in the box but Mike Nelson blasted his penalty way over the bar. The home side had another great chance on 37 minutes when Lee Scotford broke clear but his shot hit the post. The home side went ahead on 55 minutes after Darryl Addis was upended in the box and Matt Jackson put the spot kick away. Gala grabbed a point in the 75th minute when Craig Powell scored from close range.

Bishops Cleeve Reserves were 2-0 up after 12 minutes in their home fixture with Kingswood. Matt McGee latched onto a rebound off the keeper to make it 1-0 after 2 minutes and after receiving a superb pass from the midfield McGee ran through to lob the ball over the keeper on 12 minutes. Kingswood keeper Chris Fox was the busiest of the two keeper in the first half. Cleeve went down to 10 men on 60 minutes when Ash Hill was sent off for a late tackle. Kingswood did eventually score five minutes from the end with a shot from Tom Higgins.

Thornbury Town slipped up at home to Henbury going down 3-1 with two late goals from the visitors. Rob Wilks headed on to the crossbar on 5 minutes for Thornbury, but it was the visitors who took the lead with a goal from Reece Purnell on 38 minutes. Luke Franklin brought the score level on 60 minutes with a free kick that saw the visitors keeper rooted to the spot. Purnell gave Henbury a 2-1 lead on 85 minutes and Aaron Anglin sealed the points with a minute to go.

22nd August 2015 - Dominant Thornbury win at Yate

Frampton remain top after keeping another clean sheet but there are four other teams on maximum points but with inferior goal difference.

Last years champions find themselves next to bottom along with Southmead CS Athletic right on the bottom and three other teams yet to get off the mark.

Yate Town Reserves opened their league programme with a 2-0 defeat at the hands of Thornbury Town. Thornbury pretty much controlled this game from start to finish except for a couple of good chances by the home side in the second half. Thornbury started their assault as early as the 2nd minute when home keeper Ross Britton managed to palm the ball away from a free kick. The home side were further handicapped when James Kenway was hobbling around the pitch before going off for some treatment. The first effort on goal for the home side came in the 26th minutes from Kenway but he pulled his shot wide. Town took the lead on 30 minutes when Lancastle was brought down on the edge of the box for a free kick. Lancastle took the kick and fired his shot wide enough of Britton who did manage to get a hand to the ball but it was to strong to prevent it going in. Thornbury almost got a second on 36 minutes from a long corner to the far post from the left that was met by Asher Budd who directed his header on target but Britton managed to palm the ball over the bar. Yate did manage to break away on 40 minutes but the final shot was well over the bar. Thornbury went 2-0 up on 42 minutes from a cross from the right that was spilled by Britton Craig Lancastle picked up the loose ball before laying it back for the incoming Mark Viner to drive a low shot into the net.

Second half saw a marked improvement in the Yate application and they closed the visitors down sharper not allowing them to play their smooth passing game as well. The home side were also getting forward more often but Town limited their forwards to shooting well outside the box. The visitors should have netted a third goal on 57 minutes but after the ball came to Lancastle on the left side of the box his shot went wide of the upright with just Britton to beat. In the 74th minute Britton pulled of a great save with his legs to deny Luke Franklin making it three for Town. The home side rallied late in the game and Alex Lippiatt had to be at his best to deny Jack Dempsey’s 25 yard free kick going in. Then in the very last minute Lippiatt was there again to foil Sven Hopes from close range.

Frampton United’s Ryan Vincent had the ball in the back of the Cheltenham Civil Service net on three occasions but only two counted in the end. The first 45 minutes produced very little and it was the 68th minute before Vincent had the ball in the net but that was ruled out for offside. Just 3 minutes later he gave the home side the lead after Myron Turner’s through ball gave Vincent the chance to chip the ball over the keeper. In the 75th minute the visitors thought they had levelled the score when they had the ball in the Frampton net but the referee consulted with his assistant and the goal was ruled out for handball. Vincent’s second goal on 87 minutes was all his own work as he stole the ball of the Cheltenham defender on the edge of the box and then coolly slotted the ball home.

A 3-1 win at home to Broadwell Amateurs puts AEK Boco in second place in the table at present. The opening goal in the 30th minute came from a good cross in from the right where Jack Green drove the ball home from midway in the box. The visitors hit back a minute before the break from a cross that was headed home by Ross Gabriel. Boco retook the lead from the penalty spot on 65 minutes when Liam Jenkins was felled in the box and Charlie Stevens netted from the spot. Just 5 minutes later Boco got a third when Danny Brister looped the ball over the visitor’s keeper.

After finishing next to bottom last season Patchway Town have got off to a better start this season so far winning both of their league games and their cup round. They faced tough opposition today having to travel to Gala Wilton who had also won both of their games. Gala had a great chance to open the scoring on 15 minutes but Dave Wilkinson’s header hit the bar. The game change on 20 minutes when Gala’s Shane Bradley was shown a straight red for a very bad tackle. Patchway should have opened the scoring in the 65th minute from the penalty spot but home keeper Pete Davies brought off a great save from Daniel Cockram. In the 88th minute Gala were down to 9 men when Mark Mason also got a red card for a bad tackle in the box giving the visitors a second penalty. Daniel Cockram sent Patchway home with all the points when he made sure from the spot kick this time.

Ellwood hit back from a goal down after Scott Tyier made a great save in the 27th minute only to see the rebound knocked past him by Lewis Hitchman to give Bishops Cleeve Reserves the lead. Although the home side had plenty of the play they failed to break down the visitors defence until the 47th minute. It came from a set piece a corner sent over by Lee Scotford that was headed home at the far post by Mike Nelson. The home side netted a second on 60 minutes again from the same combination and a set piece another corner sent over by Scotford for Mike Nelson to slide home from close range.

Southmead CS Athletic have got off to a terrible start and find themselves bottom of the table at present after suffering yet another heavy defeat this time at home. Rockleaze Rangers went ahead on 7 minutes after Sebastian Gribble had kept the ball out with two unbelievable saves only to see the loose ball poked over the line by Rangers James Fitzpatrick. Rangers then made it 2-0 on 50 minutes when Kye Simpson was put clear to slot the ball past Gribble. The home side pulled a goal back on 55 minutes after some great play between Danny Glancy and Rob Sivers with Sivers shot being well saved by the Rangers keeper only see the rebound fall to Andy Makepeace to fire the ball into the net. Poor defending allowed Rangers to increase their lead in the 70th minute with a Kane Simpson goal. A fourth on 76 minute an own goal just about summed up Southmead’s day. One good thing to come out of the game was the outstanding performance for 16 year old Jacob Walsh.

Kings Stanley’s first game of the season after experiencing some difficulties in raising a side for the Cup game two weeks earlier. They travelled to Henbury where the home side have started well and carried on that trend when they won the game 2-0. The opener on 15 minutes came from a run into the box by Aaron Anglin who’s shot was blocked by the keeper but fell nicely to Billy George to sweep the ball in from close range. It was 2-0 by the break as Adam Rosser 30 yard shot was saved by the keeper but he failed to hang onto the ball and Aaron Anglin knocked in the rebound just before the break. Stanley put in plenty of effort through out the game but never really troubled the home defence.

A second draw for Bristol Telephones but the first point for Hanham Athletic. The home side got off to a great start with a headed goal from Adam Grinter in the 2nd minute from a great cross by Shaun Morris. Telephones were better in the second half and eventually got on level terms in the 81st minute when Marc Griffiths netted from a corner.

Hardwicke recorded another win at Kingswood to keep them up near the top. Archie Bennett gave the home side the lead early on finishing off some good interchange of passes. Adam Eldridge gave the visitors the opportunity to level the score when he gave away a penalty on 20 minutes and Paul Carter netted from the spot. Hardwicke were awarded a second penalty on 75 minutes when a Connor Davis foul in the box gave Carter his chance to net his second from the spot. Rob Hine made it 3-1 in the 81st minute with a volley from a corner.

15th August 2015 - Henbury open with victory over Hanham Athletic

The league season opened with 5 Clubs firing 4 past their opponents. Top of the pile is Frampton United who scored four but managed to keep a clean sheet.

Our opening visit this season was to Henbury who were entertaining Hanham Athletic. Although the visitors took the lead, this turned out to be a comfortable win for the home side. Henbury almost went ahead after 11 minutes when Jack Mills struck the crossbar with a thunderous 30 yard free kick that bounced down and flew back into play. 3 minutes later a long free kick into the box was half cleared and Reece Purnell picked up the loose ball but then shot straight at Fletcher. Hanham forced the first corner of the game on 17 minutes on the left and Rob Burtons cross was bundled home by Darren Burt. The home side hit back to level 3 minutes later from a cross into the box that was headed onto the bar by Billy George rebounded off the keeper and Aaron Anglin fired home from 6 yards. Another chance went begging when Anglin just failed to reach a superb cross from Billy George. In the 38th minute Fletcher brought of a tremendous save to deny Scott Thomas’s header going in. Aaron Anglin put Henbury ahead in the 42nd minute when he latched onto a through ball cleverly dummied the Hanham defenders before sliding the ball home.

Hanham found themselves down to 10 men after 52 minutes when Jack Fry was shown a straight red for a bad tackle on Luke Cox. Within 4 minutes the home side went further ahead after some pressure down the right the ball came out the left side where Adam Rosser found space to cross into the box for Billy George to guide his header well wide of Fletcher. Just 2 minute later the home side were 4-1 up when Reece Purnell found some space on the right to move into the box before driving the ball into the net. The visitors struggled to break through the home defence but Adam Grinter made space for a good effort on goal in the 66th minute but it just cleared the bar. The last effort on goal by the home side came in the 75th minute with a break down the left by Purnell who saw his shot really well saved by Fletcher.

Frampton United are in pole position after a 4-0 victory over Southmead CS Athletic. Myron Turner opened the scoring for the home side on 23 minutes Southmead’s Dominic Holver had a great shot saved on 30 minutes and was just wide of the target 3 minutes later but it remained 1-0 until 13 minutes into the second half when Joe Wilson sent Steve Jackson clear to net number two. Nathan Dennis then made it 3-0 from a Matt Cook free kick on 71 minutes and Matt Cook netted from the penalty spot on 89 minutes. Unfortunately Southmead finished the game with 9 men after having two players sent off.

New comers Hardwicke are on fire as they hit four goals for the second week running this time Ellwood were the team on the receiving end. William Matthews got the opening goal on 16 minutes with a header on the line after a long shot was deflected onto cross bar. A 30 yard free kick from Paul Carter on 33 minutes made it 2-0. Then a Steve Bick header on the far post a minute before the break gave the home side a comfortable 3-0 lead. Matt Addis pulled a goal back for Ellwood 3 minutes into the second half following up a rebound off the keeper. The home side sealed the points in the 79th minute when William Matthews failed to score from the penalty spot but followed up the rebound off the keeper.

The other new team in the league Broadwell Amateurs bounced back from their defeat last week in the cup to gain 3 points with a 2-1 win at home to Thornbury Town. The opening goal after 30 minutes came from a breakaway and was neatly flicked home by Jamie Powell. The second came after 40 minutes again from a breakaway this time from a Thornbury corner that was cleared up field found Ryan Wilks who beat several defenders before sliding the ball home. Thornbury did manage to pull a goal back in the second half when Asher Budd found himself completely unmarked to head home.

Gala Wilton have started well beating last years champions 4-1 at home. Ryan Hughes gave Gala the lead on 30 minutes when he picked up a rebound off the keeper to score. The visitors levelled the score a minute before the break with a headed goal from Jamie Lock following a free kick. The home side got back in front on 65 minutes when Ben Hands and Dave Wilkinson interchanged passes before Wilkinson found the back of the net. A great move for the third goal as Craig Howell beat two players before crossing to Liam Halliday to flick the ball to Ben Hands who was on the far post to send the ball home. The home side rounded the afternoon off with a fourth goal on 89 minutes Shane Bradley netting from the spot after Ben Hands had been brought down in the box.

AEK Boco recovered from their defeat last Saturday to hit back with a 4-1 win at home to Rockleaze Rangers. It was Rangers who took the lead on 21 minutes when Tom Dailly was put clear on goal. A nod down by Jordan Scott on 28 minutes gave Charlie Stevens the opportunity to level. A great pass from Jordan Scott set up Ben Menear to put AEK ahead in the 37th minute. Jack Green who was introduced as a substitute warranted his place with a superb goal on 69 minutes running from inside his own half to score. Then in the 83rd minute James Laver’s shot which came back off the keeper was slotted home by Jordan Scott.

Bishops Cleeve Reserves found them selves 2-0 down after 65 minutes when visitors Patchway Town felt they were in control after Matt Davis stole in at the far post to give them the lead on 35 minutes and Blaine Mitchell made it 2-0 in the 55th minute. A double substitution by the home side saw them hit back with two goals with in a minute. Laurence Gorry hit the first into the bottom corner on 65 minutes and Matt McGee equalised a minute later. The home sides luck ran out in the 75th minute when a late tackle in the box gave the visitors the opportunity from the penalty spot. Dan Cockram took the kick and found the back of the Cleeve net, sending Patchway home with the 3 points.

A point a piece was the order of the day for Bristol Telephones and Kingswood. Telephones opened well and Jack Cox hit the crossbar twice before Marc Griffiths headed the home side into the lead from a corner on 36 minutes but right on half time a long ball over the home side defence allowed Ricky Seal to sneak in behind to level. Telephones should have gone 2-1 up on 60 minutes when Dhani Golding was brought down in the box. Kingswood’s keeper Chris Fox had other ideas and brilliantly saved Adam Gregory’s spot kick. Just 5 minute later Telephones were awarded a second penalty and this time Dhani Golding scored from the spot. Kingswood gained a point in the 70th minute when Will Picter headed home at the far post.

8th August 2015 - Hardwicke victory marred by injury

The season kicked off with the Preliminary and First round games in the Les James League Cup Competition.

It was elation and devastation for new comers Hardwicke who were winning 4-1 at AEK Boco then in the 77th minute an accidental clash between an AEK Boco player and Hardwicke Scott Eales left the full back with a broken leg. The ambulance arrived around 20 minutes after the incident but by this time the players were in no mood to carry on so the referee took the decision to abandon the game.

The game itself was an excellent advert for the County league as the visitors took the lead after 34 seconds when William Matthews capitalised on a poor clearance and fired the ball past Pople. Within 7 minutes the home side were on level terms when the referee blew for a clear penalty for the home side and Jason Thatcher coolly slotted the ball past keeper Tom Kaye. Pople was called up on to make a great save from his own players back header just 3 minutes later pushing the ball around the post. Hardwicke almost got a second on 11 minutes from a free kick near the left corner post that was driven hard across goal and was met by Steve Bick but his touch went just the wrong side of the post. In the 14th minute the Boco defence were caught out by a very long kick from Kaye that bounced over the home defence and Matthews ran through to slip the ball past Pople. The home side almost levelled on 16 minutes from a great shot from the right by Jack Green that skimmed past the far post. The home side had not learnt a lesson from the long kick of Kaye and were caught out again in the 30th minute this time it was Toby Webb who nipped in to score.

Paul Carter could not believe his eyes when his effort went agonisingly wide of the Boco post in the 52 minute. The visitors increased their lead in the 60th minute from a free kick from the left that was knocked into the Boco box they failed to clear effectively and Ben Wood picked up the loose ball to power his shot past Pople. Pople save well with his legs from Steve Bick shot on 73 minutes. Then came the incident in the 77th minute - leading to the eventual abandonment of the game.

Elsewhere last seasons Cup Winners Thornbury Town are through to the next round with a convincing 3-0 victory at Frampton United. The afternoon belonged to Dan Rees who netted all three for Thornbury Town. Frampton had the first good chance when Joe Wilsons goal bound shot was deflected wide. Thornbury had the ball in the net on 37 minutes but it was ruled out for offside. Town’s keeper then kept them in the game when he pulled off a great save to deny Chris Fower. Thornbury took the lead on 52 minutes when Dan Rees turned in a cross from the right. He scored his second on 67 minutes with a shot from outside the box and then on 75 minutes he completed his hattrick with a headed goal.

Henbury go through to the next round with a 2-0 victory over Ellwood. The home side opened the scoring on 25 minutes from a 30 yard free kick from Jack Mills that the visitors’ keeper fumbled as it went into the net. Ellwood almost levelled on 35 minutes again a 30 yard free kick from Matt Remnant that thundered against the crossbar. Henbury’s Billy George headed a cross from Jack Mills against the post on 66 minutes and then in the 80th minute Ed Wright turned in a Billy George cross to make it 2-0.

  • AEK Boco V Hardwicke

  • AEK Boco V Hardwicke

  • AEK Boco V Hardwicke

  • AEK Boco V Hardwicke

  • AEK Boco V Hardwicke

  • AEK Boco V Hardwicke

The other new team in the league this season Broadwell Amateurs did not start as well after they were tumbled out of the Cup by Gala Wilton 2-0. Ben Jones gave the home side the lead after 10 minutes and Joel White sealed the game with a second on 62 minute.

Bishops Cleeve Reserves are through to the next round after defeating Southmead CS Athletic 3-1. The game was played at Southmead due to Bishops Cleeves pitch being unavailable. Southmead took the lead on 16 minutes when Liam O’Riley scored from the penalty spot. Cleeve levelled just before the break when Lewis Hitchman got the ball in the net from a goalmouth scramble. A second from Elliott Marlow on 60 minutes put Cleeve in front and they sealed their place in the next round with a third on 80 minutes with a shot from the edge of the box from Matt McGee.

Patchway Town hit back to win 2-1 at home to Kingswood. It was the visitors who took the lead on 14 minutes from a corner that was flicked onto the far post where Ben Vale was waiting to drive it home. The home side also levelled from a corner Matt Davies setting up Daniel Cockram to score. There was a long delay in the 70th minute when Kingswood’s James Blackwell suffered a bad injury unfortunately this put Kingswood down to ten players as they had used all their subs and three minutes after the restart Patchway grabbed the winner when Rayon McClean set up Matt Davies to drive the ball home.

Bristol Telephones 3-1 victory over Hanham Athletic saw them safely through to the next round. A strike from the edge of the box that hit the post on its way in by Ryan Webber on 35 minute put the home side in front. Then 5 minutes later a short corner played to Martin Blacker saw his strike from 20 yards hit the back of the net. Right on half time Hanham’s Craig Stone broke clear to slide the ball under the home keeper to bring the score back to 2-1. In the 80th minute Ryan Hicks latched on to a great ball from Marc Griffiths to drive the ball home from a tight angle.