league logo

MARCLIFF Gloucestershire County Football League

sponsor logo

Ron's Match Reports

26th September 2015 - Colling goal graps three points for Gala Wilton at Hanham

AEK Boco increases their lead at the top to five points with a win at Southmead CS Athletic as Bristol Telephones lose at home to Broadwell Amateurs.

The game at Vicarage Road between Hanham Athletic and Gala Wilton was not the most entertaining game to watch with the first effort on goal coming after 14 minutes when Hanham full back Rob Burton got wide down the right and sent over a cross come shot that caught the Gala keeper Tom Kaye by surprise but luckily for him the ball struck the crossbar. Galas first attempt on goal came in the 18th minute a rasping shot that was fisted away by the Hanham keeper Dan Fletcher. The home side were unlucky not to take the lead in the 27th minute from a long throw in form the right that was met by the head of Marc Johns but somehow Kaye managed to keep the ball out with his legs. Jack Baber came to the rescue for the home side in the 31st minute when he cleared the ball off the line that would have almost certainly gone in. Gala took the lead in the 41th minute later from a break down the right the ball being fed into Dorian Colling to drive it into the net from just inside the box. Gala thought they had scored again a minute later but Dave Wilkinson’s effort was disallowed. A minute before the break Hanham levelled with a great piece of individual skill from Jack Baber who created space and from 25 yards sent an unstoppable shot into the roof of the net Kaye never had a chance.

Gala grabbed the second goal to take the lead on 58 minutes Liam Halliday latching on to a long ball over the home defence and striking a low shot past Fletcher. Gala almost got a third in the 70th minute but Shayne Bradley’s low drive was cleared off the line.

AEK are now the only unbeaten team after their 3-1 win at Southmead CS Athletic. The report suggests that the home side were well into this game but fell behind in the 24th minute when Jason Thatcher went on a terrific run passing several home defenders before driving the ball home. The home side pulled level in the 60th minute when Jake Davis set up Luke Mills to score. Unfortunately it was short lived as Boco regained the lead 4 minutes later when the home keeper completely misjudged the flight of the ball from a cross and Jordan Scott had the easiest of chances to head the ball home. The visitors made it 3-1 in time added a second for Scott who beat the offside to score.

Ellwood have started reasonably well this season and gained a good victory over today’s visitors Henbury by two goals to one. They were a little fortunate with the opening goal on 25 minutes as Byron Ranford’s shot took a deflection sending the home keeper the wrong way. Henbury levelled on 52 minutes again a little fortunate as Scott Thomas rose to head the cross straight at the home keeper but the rebound fell kindly and Thomas tapped the ball home. The winner for Ellwood on 85 minutes was a stunning second from Byron Ranford who turned on the edge of the box to rifle home.

Yate Town Reserves pulled off an excellent 3-0 win at Kingswood. A double from Tom Backx in the first half set them on their way. He opened his account on 22 minutes with a shot from just inside the box and then gave the visitors a 2-0 lead in the 41st minute. Mike Alvis made it 3-0 on 60 minutes with a shot that took a deflection on its way in. Kingswood’s season has got off to dreadful start and their only real chance came in the second half when they struck a post.

Bristol Telephones lost their unbeaten record when they were beaten at home by today’s visitors Broadwell Amateurs. The only goal of the game came after 8 minutes when Craig Tait broke clear to drive the ball home. The home side huffed and puffed with a few half chances created but they failed to break a very stubborn Broadwell defence down and paid the price.

Hardwicke were only 3 minutes away from taking the points at home to Rockleaze Rangers after Will Matthews had brought the ball down before driving it into the Rangers net on 60 minutes. Rangers grabbed a point in the 87th minute from a corner that was headed home by Savas Frangoulis.

Last but not least is the 0-0 draw between Cheltenham Civil Service and Thornbury Town at Tewksbury Road. This was Cheltenham’s first point of the season after losing the first six games.

19th September 2015 - Turner hat-trick seals derby win for Frampton

Three local derbies today two in the south of the County AEK Boco V Hanham Athletic and Henbury v Patchway Town with the third in the North between Frampton United v Hardwicke.

Our visit this week took us to Frampton for the very first local derby between the two clubs in the County League.

A hattrick from Myron Turner saw Frampton win this game with comfort made easier after 27 minutes when Hardwicke were reduced to 10 men when Will Matthews got himself sent off for retaliating with a kick on his opponent after being brought down. Turner gave the home side the lead on 13 minutes when he pounced on a rebound from Hardwicke keeper Tom Kaye spilled the first shot from Joe Wilton. 3 minutes later Turner swept in his second again the cross coming from Wilton. Hardwicke’s only real chance to score came in the 24th minute from a cross that was headed back across goal by Will Matthews to the unmarked Steve Bick but with an open goal to aim at he headed it onto the crossbar. Then 3 minutes later Hardwicke were down to ten men for the rest of the game.

There was an early chance for Hardwicke’s Craig Harris in the second half but his final shot was deflected. Myron Turner sealed the points for the home side on 71 minutes when he swept home Minola Marquez Espada’s cross from the left. The fourth and final goal in the 80th minute again came from the left this time it was Nathan Dennis supplying the pass for Dan Huxstep to tap in. Frampton might have had a couple of more in the closing stages but for some good goal keeping and a crossbar intervention.

The local derby at Greenbank Road between AEK Boco and Hanham Athletic in front 123 spectators saw the home side back at the top of the table with a 3-0 win. Boco got off to a flying start going ahead on 2 minutes when Jordan Scott chested the ball down for Charlie Stevens to slot home. Scott then hit the crossbar with a 30 yard thunderbolt before Dan Winter drove the ball into the bottom corner for 2-0 lead. Jordan Scott made that 3-0 on 28 minutes when he turned in Charlie Stevens cross at the near post. The visitors failed to create very much and their only real chance to score came in the 75th minute from a free kick that struck the crossbar. The game ended in controversy as both teams had a player dismissed in time added at the end of the game.

Henbury’s 2-1 win at home to Patchway Town in the other local derby saw last weeks leaders slip to third in the table. The opening exchanges were a little dire but on 38 minutes a mistake in the home defence gave Raphael Waugh the opportunity to put the visitors ahead with a shot from the edge of the box. The lead lasted just 4 minutes after a long ball out of defence by the home side found Rob Wilks who charged into the box and was upended by Paul Noyes. Jack Mills coolly slotted the ball home from the spot to level. Scott Thomas missed a good chance to put the home side in front on 60 minutes heading against the upright. Farmiloe saved well from Waugh on 80 minutes to keep the score level. But the winning goal just a minute from the end was a big blow for town as Danny Wilson set up Aaron Anglin to score.

Rockleaze Rangers were brought down to earth after their comfortable win last week by today’s visitors Bristol Telephones who move into second place in the table. It was the home side who took the lead on 8 minutes Kane Simpson netting from 8 yards. The home defence were unable to contain Dhani Golding who nipped in to level a few minutes later. Luke Flicker restored the lead for the home side on 26 minutes when he ran clear through the visitors defence. Then Flicker missed a golden opportunity to increase that lead shooting wide with an open goal. Phones levelled on 43 minutes after a very good build up finished off by Aaron McQuaid. Then came the James Batchelor hat-trick. The first on 55 minutes running clear to score. A 20 yard shot on 80 minutes for the second and his final goal from the penalty spot in time added.

Thornbury Town were convincing 5-0 winners over Southmead CS Athletic at the Mundy Playing Fields. This was Craig Lancastle’s second hat tick of the season. Southmead should have taken the lead on 23 minutes but Danny Tomlin who had created space for the shot struck the crossbar. Town opened the scoring a minute before the break Luke Franklin shot was fumbled by the keeper and Asher Budd tucked the ball away. Danny Haines set up Craig Lancastle rounded the keeper for the second. It was 3-0 after 65 minutes when Luke Franklin curled his free kick past the keeper. Lancastle made it 4-0 on 88 minutes when he deceived the keeper and slotted the ball home and then in the very last minute Lancastle complete the scoring.

Bishops Cleeve Reserves will be delighted with their result a 4-2 win at Gala Wilton. James Pickup gave Cleeve the lead on 17 minutes and Matt McGee made it 2-0 on 30 minutes The visitors found themselves 3-0 up after 44 minutes Lewis Hitchman netting after a mix up in the home defence. Gala pulled a goal back early in the second half with a headed goal from Ellis Waugh then in the 85th minute Gala made the game really interesting when Joel White swept home Rob Parry’s knock down. But within a couple of minutes Cleeve restored their two goal lead when Matt Magee lobbed the home keeper after latching onto a long ball.

Broadwell Amateurs were convincing 4-0 winners over struggling Kingswood. A double from Ross Gabriel on 21 minutes side footing home a Ryan Wilks knock down. Gabriel put the second away on 28 minutes after picking up a superb pass from Oliver Fitt. Ryan Wilks then got on the score sheet to make it 3-0 on 35 minutes. Kingswood failed to render any real threat to the home side and they scored a fourth goal on 55 minutes a shot from Lee Hanson from just outside the box.

Unfortunate incident at Ellwood where the game was abandoned after 25 minutes due to a serious injury to Yate Town player Dane Shine.

12th September 2015 - Simpson deadly as Rockleaze win at Kingswood

Patchway Town are the new leaders with a win at home to Yate Town Reserves whilst AEK Boco dropped to second after being held to a draw at home by Thornbury Town. Bristol Telephones moved up to third.

Kingswood’s woes continue after they were convincingly beaten by a very good Rockleaze Rangers side that played some excellent football throughout. The home side were unable muster one shot on target until the 90th minute and at the other end their keeper Chris Fox pulled off some great saves to keep the scoreline down.

Rangers have a well recognised goalscorer in Kye Simpson in their ranks and he shone again today netting three of the goals and was involved in the other. Rangers got off to a great start and went ahead on 2 minutes with the unfortunate Kingswood defender Grant Brown turning the ball into his own net from Kye Simpsons cross. The nearest the home side came was in the 22nd minute when Ricky Beazer’s goal bound effort was deflected away by Savas Frangoulis. Fox then brought of two great saves to deny Rangers a second until the 40th minute when Simpson picked up the ball wide on the left cut in and drilled the ball past Fox from just inside the box. Right on half time Fox turned James Fitzpatrick’s shot around the post.

7 minutes into the second half Fox saved again from Marcus Williams but a minute later Simpson cut across the home box from the left and then fired his shot back across goal and inside the post. In the 89th minute Simpson completed his hattrick when he cut into the box once more and drove a low shot past Fox.

Patchway Town are the new leaders after gaining a 3-1 win at home to Yate Town Reserves. No goals in the first 45 minutes but Patchway had Chad Horseman sent off for a bad tackle after 35 minutes. Jermaine Hughes gave the home side the lead on 47 minutes with solo effort passing several Yate defenders before hitting a low shot into the net. The home side were given the chance to go two up on 60 minutes when Matt Davies was pulled back in the box and Dan Cockram tucked away the penalty. Yate pulled a goal back midway through the second half when the home side failed to clear and Mike Alvis round the home defender before firing a low shot into the corner. Rayon McLean sealed the game for the home side in the 84th minute when he cut into the box before scoring from a very tight angle.

Bristol Telephones ended Frampton United’s undefeated record but kept theirs intact with a 3-1 win at Stockwood. There were some early chances for the home side but the opening goal came right on half time from a spectacular free kick from just inside the Frampton half that was struck goalwards by Luke Palmer somehow the Frampton keeper misjudged the flight and it finished up in the back of the net. Just 2 minutes into the second half it was 2-0 to Phones again it came from a free kick struck well by Adam Gregory the shot striking the bar and the upright and fell straight to Dhani Golding to stab home. United pulled one back on 78 minutes as the home keeper could only parry the first shot on goal and Nathan Dennis was on hand to stab the ball home. Phones sealed the points near the end when Kyran Hunt sent Aaron McQuaid clear to net the third.

Hardwicke got back to winning ways after there last two games had ended in defeats with a 3-0 win over Gala Wilton. A goalless first 45 minutes but the home side lifted the tempo in the second half and took the lead on 57 minutes when Mark Carter put Steve Bick clear to chip the keeper. Craig Harris scored an almost identical goal on 71 minutes he to chipped the keeper after being put clear on goal. Rich Mansell made it three on 78 minutes firing home form the edge of the box.

Cheltenham Civil Service are struggling to get going at present and found themselves on the end of a 4-0 defeat at the hands of Henbury. The home side had a couple of early chances but both Gavin Garthwaite and Dan Midwinter squandered the opportunities. Henbury went ahead on 20 minutes with a scrambled goal tucked away by Aaron Anglin. Anglin got the second on 65 minutes after Steve Benbow had saved the first shot but could not stop the second. The home side were three down in the 85th minute after a silly tackle in the box resulted in a penalty which Jack Mills fired home. Henbury capped the day with a fourth goal in the very last minute when Connor Simpson cut inform the left to drive the ball past the home keeper.

A point each for Hanham Athletic and Bishops Cleeve Reserves and it was Giles Elliott who gave the visitors the lead on 15 minutes with a cross come shot that cleared the keeper into the far corner. The home side were on level terms on 30 minutes when Rob Burton’s free kick was deflected into the Cleeve net. Cleeve went ahead on 60 minutes with a solo effort from Billy Jones cutting into the box before curling his shot into the top corner. Hanham saved the day on 89 minutes when they were awarded a penalty - up stepped Rob Burton to hit his shot straight at the keeper but fortunately it rebounded to Burton to slide the ball home.

Biggest gate of the day at AEK Boco where 110 spectators turned out to watch visitors Thornbury Town hold the home side to a goalless draw.

5th September 2015 - Patchway take the spoils at Broadwell

Just four games in the league today due to the GFA Challenge Trophy.

AEK Boco were without a fixture giving the chasing pack a chance to close the gap.

Yate Town Reserves won the battle at the bottom leaving Cheltenham Civil Service yet to get off the mark.

Patchway Town move into second place thanks to a 2-0 win at Broadwell Amateurs. A excellent game of football with a battling performance from both sides. Patchway’s keeper Dan O’Brian was the busier of the two keepers in the first 30 minutes saving good efforts from Derek Roberts free kick on 5 minutes, Ross Gabriel 20 minutes and Ryan Wilks a minute later. Patchway should have scored in the first minute but Jermaine Hughes failed to connect well enough to beat Craig Edwards. Hughes had another chance in the 17th minute set up by Raphael Waugh but the shot was deflected out for a corner. Broadwell hit the post on 24 minutes and then O’Brian saved well from Derek Roberts. In the 33rd minute Hughes had his header cleared off the line by the home defence. The break through came in the 38th minute from a wonderful piece of individual skill from Raphael Waugh who collected the ball on the half way line surged forward passing several defenders before striking the ball past Edwards from just inside the box.

Patchway defence contained the home forwards for much of the second half and restricted them to several long shots that were no trouble for O’Brian. Brandon Benjamin should have increased the lead for the visitor’s on 79 minutes but after cutting from the left shot wide. Patchway made sure of the point in the 86th minute with some brilliant interchanging of passes that set up Waugh to fire a second past Edwards.

Yate Town Reserves are off the mark with a 3-1 win over Cheltenham Civil Service. Liam Pullen’s cross on 30 minutes turned in by Henry Jones on the far post gave the home side the lead. 10 minutes later they were 2-0 up after Jamal Fishers cross into the box was only partially cleared and Mike Alvis was on hand to score. Just before the break Alvis struck the upright. Cheltenham pulled a goal back on 70 minutes from the penalty spot a foul by Yate keeper Dan Worton that saw him receive a red card. Yate battled on with ten men and Anton Dowe who came on 3 minutes from the end rounded the keeper to net a third goal for Yate.

Bishops Cleeve Reserves will be pleased with today’s result their 2-0 win over Hardwicke moved them into mid-table. Cleeve opened the scoring on 13 minutes with a great solo effort from Rob Reid. They got a second on 30 minutes when a cross into the box was poorly handled by the Hardwicke defence and Mark Connolly drove the ball home. Not a lot happened in the second 45 minutes with Hardwicke not really troubling the home defence.

Six goals in the game at Gala Wilton where the visitors were Bristol Telephones. Star of the day goes to Dhani Golding who netted a hat-trick for Phones. Phones took the lead on 2 minutes when Golding brought the ball under control stole a yard on the home defence to fire the ball past Stokes. Just before the break Gala levelled the score a cross from the right was handled by a Phones defender giving away a penalty that Ryan Hughes tucked away. 2 minutes into the second half the visitors scored again through Golding who pulled the ball down turned and volleyed home. Gala were unfortunate to give away an own goal from a cross into the box that was pushed away by Stokes but it struck Rob Perry who was unable to prevent it going into his own net. Gala hit back on 65 minutes when Phones keeper failed to clear and Kyle Bakewell was on hand to head home. The home side were caught pushing forward with just a couple of minutes to go and a long ball out of defence by Phones found Dhani Golding who outstripped the home defenders to net his third.

GFA Challenge Trophy Round 1

Thornbury Town go through to the next round with a convincing 5-2 victory over Rockleaze Rangers. Man of the match must be Thornbury’s Craig Lancastle who netted four of Towns goals. He netted his first on 33 minutes followed by a second just after the break. Lancastle then completed his hattrick on 68 minutes. Richard Bray pulled a goal back for Rangers on 70 minutes but Joe Guest made it 4-1 to Thornbury before Lancastle netted his fourth on 90 minutes and 2 minutes in to time added on Fitzpatrick netted a second for Rangers.

Frampton United squeezed through to the next round with a very late goal over visitors Southmead CS Athletic. The home side did create chances during the game but Southmead also had their opportunities as well. In fact it was the visitors who almost took the lead on 21 minutes but Dominic Holvor’s effort was really well saved by Marklove. Matt Cook saw his shot on target deflected in the 33rd minute and Kris Bulley’s shot was palmed over the bar just before the break. Southmead’s John Henson then had his goal bound header pushed over the bar by Marklove on 54 minutes. Frazer Wilson had a chance for united in the 66th minute and in the 71st minute Holvor shot wide for Southmead. The winning goal came in the 88th minute when Lewis Wilton turned in a corner sent over by Frazer Wilson. The visitors a little disappointed with the result.

Henbury’s visit to Ellwood was a success as their 2-0 win puts them into the next round. Neither side could break the deadlock in the first 45 minutes and the game had reached the 75th minute before a Jack Mills free kick from just out side the box deceived the home keeper. 5 minutes later Henbury got a second a free kick into the box was head back across goal and Dan Wood had a simple task of knocking the ball home.

There has been no report from Kingswood v Shortwood United Reserves but the result was resounding 6-0 win for Shortwood.