league logo

MARCLIFF Gloucestershire County Football League

sponsor logo

Ron's Match Reports

28st November 2015 - AEK extend lead as Frampton provide cup shock

Three of the six fixtures scheduled for today survived the abysmal weather conditions.

72 spectators braved the elements at AEK Boco to see their team win 1-0 over Gala Wilton to go 11 points clear at the top of the table. The home side created quite a few chances throughout but failed to get the ball past the inform Gala keeper until three minutes from the end when a low cross into the box was turned into the net by left full back Callum Ball The down side for Boco was the sending off of Charlie Stevens after 75 minutes.

Hardwicke continued where they left off last Saturday with a 4-2 victory over Cheltenham Civil Service. Pat Vernall gave the home side the lead on 32 minutes with a shot from the edge of the box that took a deflection on the way in. Cheltenham levelled five minutes later from a Gareth Evans free kick. A 20 yard shot from Jamie Reid restored Hardwick’s lead a minute before the break. A cross to Will Matthews was headed on to Tobie Webb to net the third for the home side on 55 minutes. Cheltenham hit back again on 66 minutes with a second goal from Gareth Evans but just 3 minutes later Hardwicke broke down the right and the cross into the box found Will Matthews to lay the ball back for Rob Hine to drive home.

Kingswood went down again but were leading in their home game with Ellwood midway through the first half. It was the visitors who took the lead on 10 minutes when Darryl Addis’s shot was deflected past Blackwell in the home goal. A slice of luck got the home side on level terms as Frank Hitchin’s shot was deflected into his own net by Ashley Brown. The home side then went in front on 25 minutes when Frank Hitchin’s sent Joe Blakeney clear to drive the ball home. The lead only lasted 5 minutes when Ellwood hit back after Matt Addis turned his marker Ben Vale and sped away to score. Right on half time some poor defending by the home side allowed Darryl Addis to score his second of the game. There were chances created by both sides in the second half that were missed and the final goal on 88 minutes was stabbed home by Mike Nelson in a goalmouth scramble.

GFA Challenge Trophy Rd 3

There were three clubs playing in the Trophy today from this league all against higher league opposition.

The stars of the day were Frampton United who go through to the next round after defeating Roman Glass St George 2-0 from Division 1 of the Toolstation League. The visitors had the first effort on goal after 14 minutes a free kick from Chris Ashley that went just wide. Frampton’s first venture on goal on 25 minutes was an effort from Joe Wilton but he slipped as he hit the ball and it went wide. A poor clearance form the visitors keeper on 47 minute almost brought the opening goal as Frazer Wilsons 35 yard shot just fizzed past the post. Frampton went ahead on 51 minutes when home keeper James Marklove’s long kick was sliced to Myron Turner whose shot was held up in the mud and Steve Jackson was first there to knock the ball past the Saints keeper. Matt Cook thought he had made it 2-0 but it was ruled out for offside. Chris Ashley went close for the visitors with a shot that went just the wrong side of the post on the hour. On 79 minutes Frampton scored a second a great through ball from Adam Cox found Steve Jackson to drive the ball home from the edge of the box. A down side for the visitors was the sending off of Nathan Churchill on 86 minutes for a bad tackle.

Thornbury Town shook Winterbourne United from the Toolstation Premier Division coming back from a 2-0 deficit to draw 3-3 but eventually lost on penalties. The visitors were much the better side in the first half and went into the break with a 2-0 lead. They opened the scoring on 18 minute when a ball to the near post caused some confusion in the home defence the ball being stabbed home by Karin Kendall. In the 43 minute Rob Sivers cut in from the left and then curled a lovely right footed shot past Lippiatt. The second half started better for the home side and in the 61 minute Craig Lancastle was brought down in the box and Tom Webb netted the resulting penalty. Just a minute later Thornbury were level when Luke Franklin unleashed a low shot that skidded of the wet surface and found the back of the net. Winterbourne regained the lead on 75 minutes from a shot from Mario Mataus that took a deflection and caught Lippiatt on the wrong foot. Town levelled the score in stoppage time from a Danny haines free kick that was headed home by Mark Viner. The eventual out come of the penalty shoot out was that Winterbourne go through 7-6

Henbury entertained last years County League Champions who now all play for Cheltenham Saracens from Division 1 Hellenic League. This game went to penalties after the final score finished 1-1. The visitors scored both the goals the first after 55 minutes gave Henbury the lead and it was a pass back from Saracens defender Teejay Bick which the keeper completely missed and the ball finishing up in the back of the net. Henbury held on until the 88th minute when a cross into the Henbury box was headed home by Paul Holmes. In the penalty shoot out Cheltenham progress to the next round winning 4-2

Patchway Town v Cirencester Town Development was postponed and will now be played next weekend.

21st November 2015 - Defences on top for Civil Service and Telephones

On a very cold day our long trip to Cheltenham Civil Service could have ended a little better after both teams failed to find the back of the net throughout the ninety minutes. There were chances created by both teams throughout the game with Bristol Telephones shading the home side in that department. Martin Blacker had a good chance for the visitors on 5 minutes but drove his shot straight at keeper Steve Benbow. A thirty yard free kick from Phones Dhani Golding had Benbow at full stretch to save. A few minutes later a Golding shot took a deflection and was cleared off the line. Cheltenham’s first real effort on goal came from Nathan Church after 34 minutes a great shot that was neatly taken by the visitors keeper Will Osborne. The best chance of the half fell to Phones in the 41st minute from a cross to the far post by Dhani Golding that found Ryan Webber completely unmarked but he shot wide when it looked easier to score.

5 minutes into the second half Benbow saved really well to deny Webber and then Cheltenham had to clear off the line from another attack from Phones. The best chance for the home side fell to Joe Richards who broke clear on goal but failed to get the ball past Osborne.

Ellwood showed visitors Hanham Athletic no mercy hammering home five with out reply. Mike Nelson put Ellwood ahead on 20 minutes with a 20 yard shot into the bottom corner and 5 minutes later Darryl Addis headed a second from a corner. Lee Scotford made it three on 55 minutes with a simple tap in and on the hour Matt Jackson netted number four from the penalty spot. A fifth goal on 89 minutes another penalty for a foul on Jackson was put away by Gary Wildin.

Hardwicke hammered Southmead CS Athletic at Pen Park by seven goals to one with Steve Bick the flavour of the day for the visitors netting four of the goals. The visitor raced into a 4-1 half time lead with a hattrick from Bick and a further gaol from Paul Carter. Kye Perks pulling one back for the home side. Bick then made it 5-1 early in the second half before two late goals from Tobie Webb gave Hardwicke a most impressive win.

Yate Town Reserves held high flying Broadwell Amateurs to a 2-2 draw but should have taken all three points but missed a penalty near the end. Yate took the lead on 13 minutes when Mike Alvis ran on to a superb through ball to drive the ball into the net. A 15 yard volley from Cain Penkethman midway through the first half made it 1-1 A good move between Luke Withy and Jamal Fisher and a low cross into the box that found Henry Jones to side foot home to put Yate back in front. Broadwell hit back and levelled on 65 minutes from a header by Oliver Fitt. The late drama was the penalty very near the end that was taken by Mike Alvis but he hit the ball straight into the arms of the Broadwell keeper.

AEK Boco are moving away at the top and are now 8 points clear of Patchway Town in second place. It took Boco 44 minutes to take the lead a low cross into the box that was put away by Liam Powell. Cleeve who are vastly improved this season hit back on the hour mark when James Pickup swept home Rob Reid’s cross. Boco got the winner seven minutes from the end with a strike from Jordan Scott.

Patchway Town move into second place after their 2-0 win at home to Kingswood. It took Patchway until the 70th minute to take the lead and that was a dreadful mistake by Kingswood defender Ben Vale who handled the ball on the line and immediately got his marching orders. Blaine Mitchell dispatched the following penalty for the lead. From this point onwards Kingswood were up against it and with just five minutes left the home side got a second when Luke Flicker rounded the keeper to drive the ball into an empty net.

A disappointing result for Thornbury Town going down 2-1 at home to Gala Wilton who from the report did deserve to win the game in the end. Town gifted Gala the opening goal on 14 minutes when a simple looking cross was dropped by home keeper Alex Lippiatt and it dropped to the feet of Mark Mason who had a simple task of knocking the ball into the net. Thornbury gathered themselves from that early shock and levelled the score on 35 minutes when centre back Joe Guest picked the ball up just inside hiss own half surged forward and unleashed a low shot that beat the visitor keeper. The game looked to be heading for draw until the 75th minute when Gala were awarded a free kick on the edge of the box which was very firmly struck by Adam Hemming the shot penetrating the wall and flying into the bottom corner.

Henbury got back to winning ways with 2-1 win over local rivals Rockleaze Rangers. It was the visitors who went into the lead on 15 minutes with a goal from Caelen Simpson. Henbury did have chances but both Aaron Anglin and Rob Wilks failed to take their opportunities. Henbury drew level on 63 minutes when Scott Thomas headed home from a Jack Mills cross. Just two minute later the home side were in front after Alex Monks put Rob Wilks clear to slot the ball home.

14th November 2015 - Civil Service win basement battle

AEK Boco and Frampton United both win and remain first and second.

Cheltenham Civil Service win the battle at the bottom with a victory at Kingswood.

Kingswood and Cheltenham Civil Service went into this game with both teams looking for their first win of the season. In the end it turned out to be quite a comfortable 4-1 win for the visitors. Cheltenham opened the brightest and played some good passing football that had the home side on the back foot from the off. A break down the right flank and a cross into the box found Ellis Duffus who drove the ball past Fox in the home goal. Kingswood’s first attempt on goal after 15 minutes was clear shot from Connor Davis but he hit it straight at keeper Steve Benbow. Duffus had another great chance to make it 2-0 on 25 minutes when he broke clear but then hit his shot high over the bar. On 31 minutes Benbow managed to push the ball around the post from a Tom Higgins free kick.

The home side drew level 4 minutes into the second half after a free kick out on the left was lifted across to the far post knocked back across goal and Connor Davis headed home. Benbow kept the visitors in the game when he brought of a great save to deny Jamie Evans on 54 minutes. At the other end Fox then saved well from a Duffus shot on target. Cheltenham grabbed the lead on 58 minutes with a rather fortuitous goal from Gareth Evans a shot from the left side of the box that struck the far post and spun into the net. Just three minutes later they made it 3-1 again the cross came from the left and was headed in by Marcus Edwards. Kingswood were struggling but could have pulled a goal back in the 78th minute as Gary Simmons sped clear on goal but his finish let him down and he pulled his shot wide. Cheltenham wrapped it up right on time from a free kick that was driven into the box and Joe Richards had all the time in the world to drive the ball past Fox.

AEK Boco continues to lead the table with yet another convincing 4-0 victory at Hardwicke. Liam Powell gave them the lead on 15 minutes and Charlie Stevens made that 2-0 seven minutes later. Two further goals in the second half from Jordan Scott and Joe Reeves made it a comfortable win.

Frampton United keep up their challenge with a 4-1 win over Henbury at the Bell Field. A bit of a shock for the visitors after their resounding win last week. The home side went ahead on 8 minutes when Frazier Wilson turned in a Matt Cook cross. Henbury had a great chance to level on 14 minutes but the home keeper palmed the ball into the side netting. Frampton scored again on 17 minutes when Steve Jackson challenged for a 50/50 ball that spun away to Myron Turner to drive home. A minute into the second half Frampton were 3-1 up with Turner rounding two defenders before driving the ball into the net. Henbury reduced the deficit on 54 minutes with a goal from Aaron Anglin but 10 minutes later Turner’s cross was headed home by Joe Wilton. Henbury finished with ten players after Reece Purnell was dismissed after picking up a second yellow card.

  • Bishops Cleeve Reserves V Thornbury Town, Courtesy Peter Langley

  • Bishops Cleeve Reserves V Thornbury Town, Courtesy Peter Langley

  • Bishops Cleeve Reserves V Thornbury Town, Courtesy Peter Langley

  • Bishops Cleeve Reserves V Thornbury Town, Courtesy Peter Langley

  • Bishops Cleeve Reserves V Thornbury Town, Courtesy Peter Langley

  • Bishops Cleeve Reserves V Thornbury Town, Courtesy Peter Langley

An excellent 5-1 win for Bristol Telephones over Southmead CS Athletic. Kyran Hunt got the opening goal on 22 minutes from a corner. Then a minute before the break Martin Blacker scored to make it 2-0. A second half hattrick from Dhani Golding the first coming when he chipped the ball over the keeper on 55 minutes - then he scored again on 70 minutes running through unchallenged by the visitors defence. Southmead’s Danny Tomlin pulled one back on 80 minutes knocking in a rebound of the keeper. Golding then completed the scoring two minutes from the end with a simple tap in.

In windswept conditions at Broadwell Amateurs the home side ran out 2-1 winners over Hanham Athletic with all the goals coming the first 45 minutes. Ross Gabriel was unlucky with a header that went just wide after 15 minutes but he made up for that later. Craig Tait set up Cain Penkethman for the opening goal on 20 minutes then 3 minutes later Gabriel chased down a through ball from Tait and just beat keeper Fletcher to the ball to make it 2-0. The visitors pulled a goal back after Wayne Pearce beat the offside trap to drive a low shot into the net. The second half never really got going with both sides way below par and struggling against the very windy conditions.

Bishops Cleeve Reserves are becoming a force to be reckoned with as they gained another 3 points this time against Thornbury Town. Very even contest in the first 45 minutes with the score remaining goalless. Thornbury broke the deadlock on 55 minutes when they picked up a loose pass in midfield sent an early cross into the box and Pete Fowler was there to side foot the ball home. Cleeve got back on level terms in the 70th minute with a superb curling shot from the edge of the box from Giles Elliott. The home side snatched the winner just 3 minutes from the end when Rob Reid brought the ball down before firing it into the net.

A point each for Ellwood and Patchway Town but it was almost all three for the home side after they had to play with 10 men after Matt Knowles was dismissed for retaliation midway through the first half. Mike Nelson gave the home side the lead on 15 minutes when he spotted the Patchway keeper a long way off his line and sailed the ball over him from 40 yards. Sam Rushworth poked in a second for Ellwood just 5 minutes later. Matt Tovey’s break down the flank and cross into the box found Blaine Mitchell to pull a goal back for the visitors on 25 minutes then came the sending off. Ellwood almost made it to the finishing line but in the 85th minute they succumbed to a header from Matt Davies to make the final score 2-2.

Rockleaze Rangers v Yate Town Reserves was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.

7th November 2015 - Nap hand for Dowdell as Henbury run riot

Three fixtures were lost to the bad weather conditions.

Henbury ran riot at home to Gala Wilton thumping in seven with just one in reply from the visitors. Gala had no answer to debutant Ben Dowdell who scored five of Henbury’s goals with the others coming from Aaron Anglin and Jack Mills. Dowdell opened the scoring for Henbury on 16 minutes when he ran onto a superb through ball from Alex Monks and easily slide the ball past the helpless Marcus Chew. Rob Wilks was unlucky on 22 minutes sending a tremendous shot that looked a goal all the way but Chew somehow managed to push the ball over the bar. Dowdell got his second on 24 minutes from a cross in from the right and from the edge of the box he had a clear run on goal rounding the keeper before sliding the ball home. Aaron Anglin should have made it 3-0 on 32 minutes when he was put clear down the right cut into the box and drove the ball goalwards but a defender lunged at the shot and deflected it out for a corner.

3 minutes into the second half Anglin was clear on goal but failed to beat the advancing keeper who saved well. Gala showed their first signs of pulling a goal back when Kyle Bakewell’s shot across the keeper just skimmed past the post. This was the visitors best spell and they scored on 53 minutes when Adam Hemming received the ball on the edge of the box and drove the ball past Farmiloe. A couple of minutes later Hemming almost got a second from a long ball into the Henbury box that found Hemming unmarked and his shot was on target but it took a deflection and went out for a corner. The visitors had no answer to Dowdell’s pace and a long cross ball from the right on 64 minutes saw the striker turn his marker before placing the ball past Chew for his hat-trick. The visitors did not seem to learn from the previous goal as they were caught out again 2 minutes later as another long ball found Dowdell again and again he sped away from his marker to place the ball past Chew. On 78 minutes a good passing build up by the home side resulted in Aaron Anglin going through to score the fifth. Jack Mills got in on the act in the 81st minute looping the ball over Chew to make it 6-1. Dowdell then netted his 5th goal of the afternoon on 84 minute again out pacing the visitors defence to slip the ball past Chew.

Frampton United remain in second place but were held to a 1-1 draw at Yate Town Reserves. Yate took the lead on 15 minutes with a good move down the right and a great low cross into the box from Jamel Fisher that Nathan Barnett deflected into his own net. The visitors had much more of the possession in the second half but could not find away through until midway through the half when substitute Steve Jackson latched onto a defensive error to chip the ball over the Yate keeper from 30 yards. The home side held on to take another valuable point.

Cheltenham Civil Service were narrowly beaten 2-1 at home to Ellwood. The visitors went ahead 2 minutes before the break from a free kick launched into the box and Matt Knowles smashing the ball home. The home side levelled on 70 minutes from a free kick from Jarrod Wilson that found Ellis Duffus free to slide the ball home. The killer blow came in the 85th minute from an Ellwood break away and a cross to the far post that was met by Matt Addis whose header went straight across to the other side of the goal and into the net. The home side were disappointed as they felt they had done enough to earn a point at least.

Patchway Town continue with their good form with a 3-2 win over Hanham Athletic. Mark Stoneham gave the home side the lead on 4 minutes when he broke clear and fired a low shot into the net. Jack Baber made it 1-1 on 10 minutes with a free kick that deceived the home keeper completely. Patchway retook the lead just before the break when Chris Church headed home a cross from Rayon McLean. A third goal on 55 minutes an individual effort from Rayon McLean who’s first shot was saved by the keeper but fortune favoured him and the ball came straight back to shoot into an empty net. Hanham got a second on 65 minute when Chad Horseman brought down a Hanham striker giving away a penalty. James Laver coolly slotted home from the spot.

Southmead CS Athletic snatched at least a point away from Kingswood with a goal in time added at the end of the game. It was the visitors who went ahead on 12 minutes from a long ball pumped forward by keeper Chris Fox and Frank Hitchings was the first to react to fire the ball home. They then had to defend well and made two clearances of their line to keep that 1-0 lead. Kye Perks hit the post for the home side on 19 minutes, then in the 21st minute the home side levelled with a shot from Shane Hobbs that Fox got his hands to but could not prevent it going in. Hobbs then got a second on 30 minutes from a goalmouth scramble to put the home side 2-1 up. Kingswood hit back on 55 minutes and drew level with a second strike from Frank Hitchings. Hobbs thought he had netted his third of the afternoon on 90 minutes but it was ruled out for offside. Then came the killer blow for Kingswood in time added as KorEy Pring hammered the ball past Fox for the winner.