league logo

MARCLIFF Gloucestershire County Football League

sponsor logo

Ron's Match Reports

26th December 2015 - Broadwell win Forest derby

Broadwell Amateurs v Ellwood the only game in the league today.

To make sure this game went ahead the ground staff worked really hard to prepare the pitch for what is a real local derby with the grounds less than a mile apart. This was the first meeting of the two Clubs in the Gloucestershire County Football League since 1999/2000 a gap of 15 years when Broadwell were relegated. 275 spectators attended this Boxing Day fixture which kicked-off at 1.00pm.

This was always going to be a feisty game with players from both sides playing their part. There was a very strong wind blowing straight down the pitch towards the clubhouse with Ellwood having that advantage in the first half. The first corner of the game went to the home side but nothing materialised then on 10 minutes Elwood’s Gary Wildin went into the book for a bad tackle. The visitors looked the most threatening and a Darryl Addis 25 yard shot had home keeper Craig Edwards at full stretch to palm the ball over the bar after 15 minutes. Another scramble in the home goal resulted in a corner for Ellwood but they failed to capitalise. Broadwell’s first effort on goal fell to Ryan Wilks but it never really troubled Tim Yemm Broadwell took the lead in the 19th minute with a little bit of fortune as Steve Belfit’s cross come shot held up in the wind took Yemm by surprise and the ball drifted over his head into the net. Things boiled over in the 23rd minute after a bad tackle with players pushing and shoving each other the end result was a booking for Elwood’s Darryl Addis and Broadwell’s Steve Belfit. Ross Gabriel had two efforts on goal in the later stage of the first half but both went wide of the target.

  • Broadwell Amateurs V Ellwood, Courtesy Hilary Issac

  • Broadwell Amateurs V Ellwood, Courtesy Hilary Issac

  • Broadwell Amateurs V Ellwood, Courtesy Hilary Issac

  • Broadwell Amateurs V Ellwood, Courtesy Hilary Issac

  • Broadwell Amateurs V Ellwood, Courtesy Hilary Issac

  • Broadwell Amateurs V Ellwood, Courtesy Hilary Issac

  • Broadwell Amateurs V Ellwood, Courtesy Hilary Issac

  • Broadwell Amateurs V Ellwood, Courtesy Hilary Issac

  • Broadwell Amateurs V Ellwood, Courtesy Hilary Issac

5 minutes into the second half Tim Yemm smothered the ball at the feet of Ross Gabriel to deny a second goal for the home side. Broadwell got the ball in the net again on 56 minutes but it was ruled out for offside much to Ellwood’s relief. The home side were using the long ball to try and penetrate the visitors defence but their forwards were either caught offside or the ball was over hit. Ryan Wilks tested Yemm from just inside the box but the keeper was there to save. The visitors were finding it tough to make any headway against the wind and Edwards in the home goal was rarely troubled. At the other end Bellfit broke down the right and cut in only to see his shot well saved by Yemm. Gary Wildin managed a shot on target for the visitors on 80 minutes but it was no trouble for Edwards to collect. Broadwell took Belfitt off in the 84th minute and brought on Oliver Fitt who had only been on 1 minute before he picked up the ball from a free kick and drove it past Yemm for 2-0 lead. Fitt almost got a third for the home side on 87 minutes but the finish just was not there as the ball went out for a goal kick. Ryan Wilks had a great chance near the end but his shot was just not good enough to beat Yemm. On reflection of play especially in the second half the home side were deserved winners on this very special derby game.

19th December 2015 - Telephones salvage late point against Hanham

Only four fixtures went ahead from the seven scheduled due to the inclement weather conditions.

Our travels took us to Bristol Telephones who were entertaining Hanham Athletic who are based just a few miles away. The visitors will feel that they should have won this game and to be fair it looked as though they would take all three points but for a goal in the very last minute of the game that earned the home side a point.

It was a blustery afternoon especially in the second half but the players did their best in the conditions. Hanham had a great chance to go ahead on 6 minutes when a free kick from the middle of the park found Adam Grinter but from eight yards he fired wide. The visitors opened the scoring in the 13th minute from the penalty spot with John Uren making no mistake. Within 2 minutes Phones were level. A good move down the right with the cross into the box finding Dhani Golding to drive the ball past Fletcher. Hanham retook the lead on 20 minutes from a free kick that was knocked into the box and Sam Brown’s shot hit the back of the net. In the 28th minute Brown was unlucky not to have increased the lead for Hanham with a crisp left foot drive that sped across goal but struck the upright and was cleared. There had been some niggley incidents during the first half and it erupted right on half time from a bad tackle which some players took exception too and when it had all calmed down each side were reduced to ten men. Grant Ogbourne for Hanham Athletic and Billy Downes for Bristol Telephones were the players sent off.

Aaron Mcquaid almost levelled the score 4 minutes into the second half from a long ball into the box that he headed goalwards only to see Fletcher dive full stretch and push the ball out for a corner. The visitors went 3-1 up in the 53rd minute from a good build up down the right and a ball knocked into Adam Grinter who smashed it past keeper Greatbanks. Sam Brown had a good chance to increase the lead for the visitors but blasted the ball high over the bar. Hanham let Phones back in the game on 68 minutes when they gave away a penalty with Ryan Hicks giving Fletcher no chance. Aaron McQuaid had a good chance to level for the home side but his shot was too weak to beat Fletcher. With just a minute left in the game a long free kick from Mitch Purnell almost caught Fletcher out as he just managed to tip the ball over the bar for a corner. From the resulting corner which was sent over by Ryan Hicks the ball beat everyone and finished up in the back of the Hanham net to make it 3-3. The visitors may have gone away with a point but so unlucky not to have had all three.

For the second week running Kingswood conceded seven goals without reply. This week it was at the hands of Hardwicke. The first 25 minutes of the game was fairly even then in the 27th minute the home side went ahead from a penalty. Will Higgins broke into the box and was brought down and Paul Carter netted from the spot. Hardwicke scored again on 41 minutes from a great cross into the box from Steve Bick that was turned in by Will Higgins. Higgins score again in the 50th minute when he drifted past a couple of defenders before driving the ball home. Jamie Reid then interchanged passes with Paul Carter to net the fourth goal on 65 minutes. On 71 minutes Reid sent a great through ball to Steve Bick to score. Paul Carter cut in from the left and unleashed a shot from 15 yards to make it 6-0 in the 75th minute with the final goal coming in the 84th minute after Steve Bick’s superb cross found Craig Harris to tap the ball home.

All the action came in the first 45 minutes at Rockleaze Rangers where they beat local rivals Southmead CS Athletic 3-0. Southmead were unlucky in the 13th minute when Neil Simons headed off the line for Rangers. Then in the 28th minute a James Pilling shot was turned on to the post by keeper Hanbury the ball ran across the line and Dan Webb just slid the ball home. 2 minutes later a cross from Greg Parr found Steve Fitzpatrick who volleyed in from eighteen yards. On 32 minutes Rangers were 3-0 up from a Jordan Conner free kick that Hanbury let slip through into the net.

Frampton United went 1-0 up after 16 minutes; a scramble in the Civil Service box wasn't cleared before Adam Cox lifted the ball into the roof of the net. Benbow kept Civil Service in touch with a great save just after half time. Service began to find some momentum and Dan Midwinter came close with a skilful chip that beat everyone but came back off the crossbar. Frampton got into some great positions but missed golden opportunities to make it 2-0. On 79 minutes an acrobatic bicycle kick from close range by Steve Jackson was saved expertly by Benbow. In the 84th minute a long ball from the visitor’s keeper down the left wing split Civil Service open with the ball being crossed quickly to the back post to the advancing Joe Wilton who slid in to finish. Shortly after the floodgates opened and Joe Wilton scored after ball was won by Lewis Wilton who put him through to smash it passed Benbow. Frampton made it 4-0 when Kris Bulley broke down the left crossed to Lewis Wilton who had his header saved, but knocked in the rebound.

12th December 2015 - Frampton hold off Southmead comeback

With the leaders AEK Boco not playing today it was a chance for the chasing pack to close the gap. Henbury and Frampton United both won and Bristol Telephones moved into fourth.

Our first venture out for 3 weeks took us to Southmead CS Athletic who were entertaining high flyers Frampton United. Southmead had suffered heavy defeats the last two weeks shipping in 13 goals but today’s performance was much better and although they went down 2-1 if they can maintain this sort of performance they will pick up points along the way. The first 13 minutes produced nothing in the way of chances then in the 14th minute Frampton went ahead from a break down the right the cross finding Myron Turner to lash the ball past Jordan Scofield from inside the box. A lot of midfield play ensued and it took Southmead until the 33th minute to get a shot on target and a superb effort it was from Andy Makepeace whose 25 yard shot had Barnfield diving full length to save.

6 minutes into the second half a poor back pass to Scofield saw the keeper challenged by Matt Cook the ball spun away to Joe Wilton who had an open goal but shot wide. Frampton went 2-0 up on 57 minutes from a break down the left by Manola Marquez-Espada who got to the by-line and pulled the ball across the six yard box where Joe Wilton was waiting to slide the ball home. Southmead had a great chance to pull a goal back in the 80th minute but substitute Christian Bailey skied the ball over the bar. Just 2 minutes later it was 2-1 with Jon Kilpatrick getting on the score sheet. Who knows what would have happened if Bailey’s shot had gone in just a couple of minute’s earlier?

A double hat-trick from Bristol Telephones striker Dhani Golding condemned Kingswood to yet another heavy defeat. The first 20 minute was fairly even and then Dhani Golding changed all that when he ran clear to open the scoring on 21 minutes. Aaron McQuaid headed home from a corner on 29 minutes and in the 36th minute Golding scored his second following a goalmouth scramble. Kingswood’s Jamie Evans had a couple of chances to pull a goal back but they were wasted. In the 61st minute Golding was put clear to make it 4-0 and 4 minutes later he ran clear of the home defence for the fifth. Two further goals in the 70th and 72nd minutes brought the score to 7-0 and Golding had netted six. Kingswood’s woes continued when Stuart Rae was dismissed for two bookable offences in the 85th minute but the drama did not end there as home keeper Chris Fox brought off a great save from a Dhani Golding penalty in the last minute.

Thornbury Town pulled off an excellent result with a 3-1 win at home to Broadwell Amateurs. There were no goals in the first 45 minutes and all the action started with just 15 minutes to go. Thornbury scored a controversial goal on 75 minutes the ball being knocked into the box and reached the far post where Craig Lancastle turned on the line cut back in to make an angle to shoot and drove the ball home. Broadwell were unhappy and appealed that the ball had gone out of play and Derek Roberts got into such a state that he eventually got sent off. After things had settled down it took Broadwell just 2 minutes to get back on level terms when a long free kick was headed home from 12 yards by Ross Gabriel. Thornbury got back in front on 84 minute when the visitor’s keeper was unable to hold a free kick from Danny Haines and Mark Viner slotted home the rebound. Town made sure of the three points with just 2 minutes left when James Brock weaved his way past several defenders to score the third.

Henbury remain second after picking up a 3-1 win at Hanham Athletic. Aaron Anglin gave the visitors the lead on 14 minutes with Jack Mills grabbing a second in the 39th minute. John Uren pulled a goal back for the home side from the penalty spot in the 43rd minute. Henbury made sure of the three points in the 88th minute with a break away goal from Rob Wilks.

Cheltenham Civil Service are gradually improving and recorded their second win of the season at home to Gala Wilton. The visitors took the lead in the 12th minute when the home keeper could only parry a fierce drive and the rebound was knocked home by Mark Mason. Gavin Garthwaite equalised for Cheltenham 3 minutes later. Joe Richards played Ellis Duffus through to net the winner on 55 minutes. Only a tremendous save from the visitor’s keeper denied Garthwaite a third goal on the hour. This moves them up a place the highest position they have achieved so far this season.

The Addis brothers were on target for Ellwood in their 2-1 win over today’s visitor’s Hardwicke. Matt Addis got Ellwood off to a great start when he fired home from twelve yard after just 2 minute. A cross into the box on 25 minutes was completely missed by a Hardwicke defender and Darryl Addis was on hand to smash the ball home. Hardwicke got straight back into the game in the 46th minute from a 25 yard drive from Will Matthews that completely deceived home keeper Tom Yemm. Hardwicke were unlucky in the 89th minute when a shot on target looked goal bound by it hit a home defender and went wide.

5th December 2015 - AEK win at Frampton to extend lead

AEK Boco go fourteen points clear at the top of the table after picking up a 2-0 win at Frampton United. Henbury move into second place have three games in hand.

AEK Boco’s 2-0 win at Frampton United was only the second defeat for Frampton so far this season. The win keeps Boco well on target for the title. It was Frampton who almost took the lead on 8 minutes when a shot from Joe Wilton was sliced by a Frampton defender and just went past the outside of the post. Boco’s first effort on 12 minutes came courtesy of Jordan Scott who pulled a great ball back to Liam Crewe but he hit his shot wide. Boco grabbed the lead on 14 minutes when Liam Jenkins shot from the edge of the box best the Frampton keeper James Marklove. Boco had a great chance to increase the lead on 36 minutes when Liam O’Neil gave away a penalty, fortunately Marklove brought off a great save to deny Jordan Scott converting the spot kick.

Boco keeper Joe Pople brought off a great save from Adam Cox 2 minutes into the second half just managing to tip the ball over the bar. There were several more chances created by both sides before Lewis Wilton broke into the box chipped Pople but the ball struck the bar and was cleared. The killer blow for the home side came in the 83rd minute when Jason Thatcher struck a 25 yard free kick low into the bottom corner of the net for 2-0 lead. Myron Turner went close in the 89th minute but the final touch was just wide.

Henbury moved up the table with a 2-1 win over today’s visitors Yate Town Reserves. Neither side could make the break through in the first 45 minutes and it went right through to the 71st minute before Aaron Anglin scrambled the ball home from six yards to give the home side the lead. Yate levelled 6 minutes later from a break away Mike Alvis getting on the score sheet. It took a far post header from Rob Wilks in time added at the end of the game to give Henbury that all important winner.

Southmead CS Athletic took another heavy defeat this time going down 6-0 at Gala Wilton. Adam Hemming gave the home side the lead on 25 minutes and then came a superb hattrick from Kyle Bakewell. His first on 32 minutes he hooked into the net from close range. The second just 3 minutes later was a simple tap in from a cross. His third on 58 minutes was a little fortunate as his shot took a deflection of a Southmead defender before ending up in the back of the net. Two further goals from Lee Allen the first on 75 minutes a simple side foot home and the second in the last minute as he placed the ball into the net in a one on one situation with the keeper.

Kingswood are still unable to get that elusive first win of the season going down 3-2 at home to Hanham Athletic. Hanham took the lead on 3 minutes when James Laver stabbed the ball home following a goalmouth scramble. They went 2-0 up on 12 minutes when Craig Sperring headed home from a corner. Kingswood pulled a goal back a minute before the break from a tight angled shot from Jamie Evans that beat the keeper on the near post. A slice of luck for Hanham’s third goal on 75 minute was a cross from Samuel Brown that looked harmless enough but as keeper Fox stooped to collect it took a bobble over the keeper and into the net. Kingswood kept going and in the last minute made it 3-2 when Jamie Evans broke into the box rounded the keeper to slot the ball into an empty net.

Like most game today the game at Ellwood was affected by very high winds which seem to control what happened throughout. Both sides failed to break the deadlock in the first 45 minutes. The only goal of the game and the winner came in the 55th minute when Greg Burford gave away a penalty. Bristol Telephone Dhani Golding netted the resulting spot kick. Ellwood were disappointed that they finished the game with 10 men when Byron Ranford was dismissed when he picked up a second yellow card in the 80th minute.

The local derby between Cheltenham Civil Service and Bishops Cleeve Reserves was decided by just the one goal. It came in the 30th minute from a break down the left and interchange of passes between Chris Parsons and Matt Magee with Magee picking his spot before superbly guiding the ball past the home keeper. Cheltenham had plenty of possession throughout and created numerous chances but some great goal keeping from Cleeve’s Eric Edge and some indifferent finishing from Ellis Duffus and Joe Richards could have made all the difference to the result.

Rockleaze Rangers have slipped down the table in the last few weeks and were beaten 2-1 by Thornbury Town today. The highlight of the first 45 minutes was two outstanding saves from home keeper Sam Burgess. The first on 15 minutes denying Nathan Irwin the opening goal and a great save on 28 minutes from a header by Pete Fowler. Thornbury took the lead on 61 minutes when Craig Lancastle got the fist of his two goals a shot from just outside the box that struck the upright on its way in. Rangers Harry Thomas had a great chance to level on 67 minutes but Thornbury keeper Alex Lippiatt save well with his legs. On 70 minutes a mix up between Savas Frangoulis and James Willott gave Lancastle the opportunity to make it 2-0 to the visitors. With just 5 minutes left Willott made up for his mistake earlier when he squared the ball back for James Pilling to head home. Too little to late for Rangers.

GFA Challenge Trophy Round 3

Patchway Town slipped out of the Trophy on penalties after drawing 2-2 with Cirencester Town Development at Oakland’s Park. Patchway were leading 1-0 after 45 minutes the goal being scored by Jordan Yeo on 37 minutes after being put clear by Brandon Benjamin. Cirencester levelled 3 minutes into the second half Jack Smith netting from 14 yards. Patchway retook the lead on 65 minutes a superb 25 yard free kick from Jordan Yeo that flew into the bottom corner. It was that man Jack Smith who brought the scores level again on 75 minute flicking in a cross from the right. The ensuing penalty shoot out eventually went in favour of Cirencester 6-5.