league logo

MARCLIFF Gloucestershire County Football League

sponsor logo

Ron's Match Reports

30th January 2016 - Hanham derby ends in stalemate

Last nights heavy rain fall devastated the fixture programme with only one fixture surviving.

The local derby between Hanham Athletic v AEK Boco whose grounds are only one mile apart was the only game to go ahead. 230 spectators turned up to see if the leaders could increase their lead at the top of the table against a Hanham side who has had it problems this season and were under new Management for this very important game. Spencer Thomas has returned to the Club and is assisted by Steve Latham and Paul Milson. Hanham made a couple of new signings to try and strengthen the side that are languishing in the bottom four in the table with just thirteen points from twenty one games.

Considering the amount of rain that fell during the night the pitch was in excellent condition - but after ninety minutes of football neither side were able to find the back of the net. There was plenty of effort from both sides with numerous corners and free kicks but shots on target were at a premium with neither keeper being called upon to make any credible saves. Boco had more of the possession but the shear determination of the Hanham team prevented Boco creating any real clear cut chances. This result will benefit the home side in future games and hopefully settle them down and pull themselves away from the bottom of the table. The point gained by the leaders show that they now have a twelve point lead at the top of the table and will take some catching.

23rd January 2016 - Gala Wilton triumph in Gloucester derby

Gala Wilton won their home game with Hardwicke quite comfortably in the end but it might have been different if Hardwicke had scored the two really good chances they created in the first 10 minutes. A free kick hit across the six yard box by Paul Carter was picked up by Craig Harris on the far post but from 4 yards out he spooned his shot over the bar. Just two minutes later another free kick this time out on the left side of the box was really well struck by Carter and beat the keeper but struck the crossbar. At the other end Hardwicke keeper Hunt brought off a good save from an Adam Hemming free kick. Hardwicke went ahead on 15 minutes from an in-swinging corner from Craig Harris that was diverted by Steve Bick past keeper Matt Bickers. The home side hit back on 23 minutes from a cross into the box that was miss punched by keeper Jermaine Hunt the ball hitting a Gala player and in attempting to clear Andrew Price sliced the ball into Kyle Bakewell and the ball richocheted into the net to level the score. In the 35th minute Hardwicke central defender Rob Hine broke through on goal but after sliding past the keeper he over hit the ball and it went out for a goal kick. Another good chance that went begging. Gala grabbed the lead on 38 minutes from a cross into Adam Hemming to drive the ball home. The last effort of the first 45 minutes fell to Hardwicke’s Steve Bick but he pulled his shot wide from the edge of the box.

We had hardly started the second half in fact only 40 seconds on the clock when Lee Allen latched onto a long ball out of defence to give Gala a 3-1 lead. 11 minutes into the second half Michael Light almost certainly saved Gala from conceding a second goal as he stabbed the ball off the foot of Will Matthews in the six yard box. Hardwicke were pushing hard and had a lot of possession but could not break down a very stubborn Gala defence. A great free kick from Paul Carter curling the ball into the six yard box from the left went begging as it sped across goal and out for a goal kick. Hardwicke had another free kick scrambled away by the home defence and then in the 81st minute Will Matthews headed over from another free kick when he might have scored. Hardwicke were caught out in the 85th minute pushing up and Kyle Bakewell netted his second of the afternoon.

AEK Boco continues the quest for the title with a 2-0 victory at Thornbury Town. Boco went ahead on 4 minutes with a superb goal from Jason Thatcher a cross-field ball was met by Thatcher on the edge of the box to volley it into the roof of the net. Thatcher scored again on 31 minutes this time he dispossessed Nathan Sage before driving forward and firing the ball home. Thornbury’s Luke Franklin hit the upright after a scramble in the Boco goalmouth on 38 minutes. Boco were reduced to ten men on 46 minutes. Thornbury were unlucky when they struck the post for a second time midway through the second half but the leaders have a very well organised side and gave little away.

Henbury remain in second place with a 4-1 win over Cheltenham Civil Service. The home side got off to a great start taking the lead on 2 minutes from a corner sent over by Jack Mills and Kane Simpson headed home. It was 2-0 on 30 minutes when Jack Mills put Rob Wilks clear to lob the ball over the keeper. Henbury went down to ten men on 34 minutes when Ben Roe was dismissed for retaliation. Cheltenham scored a bizarre goal a minute later as cross from Dan Midwinter swerved in flight and deceived everyone and finished up in the back of the Henbury net. Right on half time Henbury scored a third when Rob Wilks crossed the ball in for Kane Simpson to sweep home from close range. The visitors were also reduced to ten men in the 70th minute when Ellis Duffus was sent off. Henbury netted a fourth in the last minute of the game when corner from Shaun Heal was turned in by Ross Johnson.

Bishops Cleeve Reserves ran out 3-0 winners over today’s visitors Hanham Athletic. Cleeve opened the scoring on 5 minutes when Rob Reid scored from the penalty spot. The home side grabbed a second on 20 minutes when Giles Elliot converted a cross to the far post. The third and final goal on 85 minutes came from a corner that was flicked on for central defender Ben Robinson to head home.

  • Bishops Cleeve Reserves V Hanham Athletic, Courtesy Peter Langley

  • Bishops Cleeve Reserves V Hanham Athletic, Courtesy Peter Langley

  • Bishops Cleeve Reserves V Hanham Athletic, Courtesy Peter Langley

  • Bishops Cleeve Reserves V Hanham Athletic, Courtesy Peter Langley

Frampton retain their position in third place with a 2-0 success over close rivals in the table Bristol Telephones. Frampton went ahead on 6 minutes when Minola Marquez Espada cut in from the left to drive the ball past Osborne on the near post. On 16 minutes Frampton had a great chance to increase their lead when Steve Jackson was brought down in the box but Phones keeper Will Osborne brought of a great save from Matt Cooks spot kick. Phones first real chance on 31 minutes came from Mitch Purnell but he shot straight at the Frampton keeper. Just a minute later and Frampton went 2-0 up when Myron Turner broke clear and slotted the ball home. Phones Mike Grist had a great chance to pull a goal back on 40 minutes but headed over the bar. Osborne brought off another good save to deny Kris Bulley on 50 minutes. In the 62nd minute Dhani Golding saw his goal bound effort turned around the post. With just 5 minutes left Golding almost scored but his effort struck the crossbar.

Kingswood’s woes continue as they went down 3-1 at Rockleaze Rangers. The Fitzpatrick’s did all the damage for Rangers. Steve Fitzpatrick headed Rangers into the lead on 3 minutes then a 30 yard pile driver from James Fitzpatrick on 12 minutes made it 2-0. Just three minutes later Rangers were three up when James Fitzpatrick scored his second. Kingswood got a consolation goal on 60 minutes when Callum McManus scored.

Yate Town Reserves suffered a 4-1 home defeat at the hand of Patchway Town and it was all down to hat-trick boy Matt Davies. Davies opened his account on 15 minutes when he nipped in behind the home defence who seemed confused to beat the keeper to the ball and slide it home. Davies netted a second on the half hour when he swept home a low cross from the right. A low drive from Jordan Yeo on 38 minutes to make it 3-0 put the visitors well in control, but just before the break Yate hit back with with a headed goal from Sam Hipisley. 2 minutes into the second half Davies completed his hat-trick when the home keeper fumbled the ball and the striker made no mistake.

16th January 2016 - Broadwell punish Patchway mistakes

Patchway Town made two silly mistakes which cost them dearly going down 2-0 to Broadwell Amateurs at Scott Park.

Broadwell went ahead after 5 minutes from a harmless looking cross from the left by Lee Hanson that keeper O’Brien failed to take cleanly and Sam Keetch was on hand to drive the ball into the net. In the 9th minute play was held up for several minutes after Broadwell’s Ross Gabriel and Patchway keeper Dan O'Brien clashed with the keeper needing attention from the physio. Town’s Jordan Yeo sent over a cross from the left that Rayon McClean failed to reach as it sped past for a goal kick. An Alex Brown shot on goal in the 31st minute was only just wide of the target. The home side dominated possession in the last 20 minutes of the first half but failed to get a shot on target leaving keeper Craig Edwards without a shot to save.

Broadwell’s Sam Keetch brought a save out of home keeper O’Brian in the 54th minute then in the 56th minute Patchway actually gave Edwards something to do as he clawed Jordan Yeo’s header away after Raphael Waugh had set it up. The home side had plenty of possession but failed to create any chances then in the 85th minute Broadwell conceded a penalty giving the home side a life line. Jordan Yeo took the spot kick but Edwards guessed right and brought off a great save. The visitors hit a second a minute into stoppage time when Matt Webb was dispossessed allowing Craig Tait the simple job of tapping the ball into an empty net.

In what was described as a very drab game at Vicarage Road, Thornbury Town came away with the three points from a 1-0 result. The only goal of the game came after 20 minutes from a build up through the middle by Town which involved Craig Lancastle setting up Luke Franklin to drive the ball home from the edge of the box.

An eight goal thriller at Bristol Telephones where the home side ran out 5-3 winners over Gala Wilton. Another hat-trick from the leagues leading goal-scorer Dhani Golding really helped the home sides cause. The opening goal after 5 minutes from Alex Pritchard put the visitors 1-0 up. Golding levelled the score on 15 minutes slipping between several defenders to slot the ball home. On 30 minutes Golding was put clear to round the goalkeeper to put Phones 2-1 up. A great shot from Adam Hemming on 40 minutes brought the score level once again. 2 minutes before the break Telephones were awarded a penalty but Dhani Golding hit the post and the ball spun out of play. Then right on half time Phones went 3-1 up with a crisp shot from Martin Blacker. In the first minute of the second half Gala drew level once more from a David Wilkinson strike. Phones made it 4-3 on 60 minutes when debutant Sam Sarre tapped in from close range. Dhani Golding completed his hat-trick on 80 minute when he picked the ball up 35 yards out rounded his marker then rounded the keeper before sliding the ball into an empty net.

Henbury bounced back from their defeat last week with a resounding 6-0 win over local rivals Southmead CS Athletic. 122 spectators the biggest crowd of the day watch this game. Henbury got off to a flying start and went 1-0 up after 5 minutes when Southmead’s John Henson brought down Aaron Anglin in the box for a penalty. Jack Mills twice taken penalty hit the crossbar before finishing in the back of the net. Henbury took a 2-0 lead on 25 minutes when Rob Wilks capitalised on a defensive error by the home side. Just 5 minutes later Mills was on target with a second penalty. On 34 minutes a cross into the box was misjudged by the home keeper and Aaron Anglin was there to make it 4-0. Five minutes before the break Jack Mills completed his hat-trick from a back pass to the keeper who hit his clearance straight to Mills to hammer the ball home. The home side had more of the game in the second period and were awarded a penalty on 75 minutes when Andy Makepeace was brought down in the box, he took the penalty himself but shot wide of the target. Henbury rounded the scoring off in the 80th minute from a good break down the right and a cross into the box for Kane Simpson to sweep home.

  • Cheltenham Civil Service V Yate Town Reserves, Courtesy Peter Langley

  • Cheltenham Civil Service V Yate Town Reserves, Courtesy Peter Langley

  • Cheltenham Civil Service V Yate Town Reserves, Courtesy Peter Langley

  • Cheltenham Civil Service V Yate Town Reserves, Courtesy Peter Langley

  • Cheltenham Civil Service V Yate Town Reserves, Courtesy Peter Langley

After two pitch inspections the match was given the go ahead. Despite a couple of soggy patches through the middle the pitch was looking good. It was Civil Service who started the strongest. There were anxious moments in both boxes as the cold conditions and soggy surface led to some mistakes. Civil Service missed very good chances, first Mickael Geraud and then Gareth Evans failed to make good contact with close range efforts on 25 minutes. Ultimately it was Yate who took the lead after a long ball beat everyone and Mike Alvis ran through the Civil Service defence to hit a lot low past Benbow. On 40 minutes a ball from Ash Jones inside the full back allowed Marcus Edwards an attempt at an equaliser, which was sliced wide. Ash Jones fizzed one over the top on the stroke of half time, and shortly after Dan Midwinter went through and shot straight at the goalkeeper, the ensuing corner headed narrowly over the bar by Paul Ireland. First half injury time continued to see the Yate goal peppered with shots but there was no way through.

On 55 minutes a ball across the box was deflected and Gareth Evans nicked the ball off the keeper who had come a long way off his line, the keeper then brought Evans down for a penalty. Dan Midwinter converted from the spot to equalise. Cheltenham had the ball in the back of the Yate net on two further occasions but both were ruled out for offside. In stoppage time at the end of the game Dan Midwinter nicked the ball off the defender's toe, and then blasted the ball over the bar in what was the last kick of the game.

Three fixture were postponed due to frozen pitches.

9th January 2016 - AEK leave it late to take points at Henbury

The elation shown by the AEK Boco players after Jack Green had scored the winner in time added at the end of the game was tremendous. The game was played on a very wet and heavy pitch and the second forty five minutes was played in pouring rain and very strong gusts of wind. There were very few chances during the game but we ended up with a 3-2 scoreline.

Boco’s first attempt on goal after 10 minutes was a forty yard free kick that was easily dealt with by home keeper Jamie Farmiloe. Boco went ahead on 17 minutes from a ball down the right that was fed across to left full-back Callum Ball who had found space on the left side of the Henbury box to cut in and fire the ball past Framiloe. Henbury hit back 3 minutes later when they pushed forward in numbers and Boco committed a foul in the box for a penalty. It was quite bizarre how Henbury scored. Jack Mils took the spot kick that was saved by keeper Joe Pople the rebound went back to Mills who then had his second attempt saved by the keeper, but on the third attempt Aaron Anglin drove the ball home.

1-1 at the break was probably a fair reflection of the game but in the 54th minute Boco went 2-1 up from a harmless free kick on the right that was knocked across the eighteen yard box eventually falling for Liam Jenkins to drive a low hard shot into the bottom corner from the edge of the box. The home side hit back to level again on 64 minutes when Aaron Anglin headed home an Adam Rosser cross. Both sides used their substitutes but the game looked as though it was heading for a 2-2 draw until 4 minutes into time added when the Henbury defence were caught out by a long ball and Jack Green who had come on as a substitute fired the ball past Farmiloe for the winner. Boco have a clear 12 point lead at the top of the table and are looking good for the title.

Rockleaze Rangers dented Patchway Towns chances with a 4-2 home victory. Patchway were in control for the first 45 minutes and took the lead on 2 minutes when Jordan Yeo picked up a rebound from home keeper Sam Burgess and fired home from 16 yards. The visitors were 2-0 up after 11 minutes when Matt Davies turned in a cross from Matt Tovey. Rangers Savas Frangoulis missed a great chance to pull a goal back when he hit his shot over the bar from 6 yards on 38 minutes. James Fitzpatrick also had a great chance to pull a goal back for the home side in the 55th minute but he to headed over from close range. Rangers had a stroke of luck in the 60th minute when James Pilling’s 25 yard shot took a deflection that sent keeper O’Brien the wrong way and the ball finished up in the back of the Patchway net. Patchway did not help their cause when Paul Noyse picked up a second yellow card and was dismissed. Rangers took full advantage and James Fitzpatrick scored to make it 2-2 on 70 minutes. then came a double strike from Kye Simpson the first on 78 minutes a superb shot from the edge of the box and a the second five minutes later when he picked up a long ball that had been pumped up field - rounded the keeper and drove the ball home. Unfortunately Patchway finished the game with nine players as Matt Tovey also picked up two yellow cards and was sent off in the 85th minute.

A hattrick from Steve Bick contributed to the 6-2 win over Hanham Athletic. The home side took the lead on 2 minutes which was rather fortunate as a Hanham defender tried to clear the ball it struck Paul Carter and finished up in the back of the visitors net. Hardwicke were 2-0 up after 10 minutes from a Steve Bick break down the right and a great cross for Will Matthews to side foot the ball home. Steve Bick made it 3-0 on 22 minutes when he broke down the right cut in drew the keeper and hit his shot from the edge of the box that struck the post on its way in. Hanham pulled a goal back on 36 minutes with a superbly hit 35 yard free kick struck home by Jack Welling. The home side went 4-1 up on 55 minutes from a Craig Harris break down the left and a cross into the box that eventually found Steve Bick to net his second of the afternoon. Craig Harris got on the score sheet on 76 minutes when he picked up a rebound off of a Hanham defender and made space to lob the ball over the keeper. The visitors got a second on 77 minutes from a cross into the box that found Adam Grinter who turned his marker to drive the ball home. Steve Bick rounded it off three minutes from the end when he broke through the visitors defence to net the sixth and final goal.

GFA Challenge Trophy Quarter-final

Frampton United the sole survivors of the Gloucestershire County Football League left in the competition have finally succumbed after being knocked out by Cheltenham Saracens from the Hellenic League on penalties after the score at 90 minutes was 1-1. Cheltenham got off to a great start and took the lead on 2 minutes when Paul Holmes scored from almost on the line after the original cross took a deflection straight to Holmes. Jack Sklenar should have made it 2-0 on 5 minutes but Marklove brought of a good save. Frampton’s first corner on 14 minutes found Myron Turner but his shot was blocked on the line. A Nathan Dennis free kick was well saved by the Cheltenham keeper on 25 minutes. Marklove denied Sklenar when he pushed his shot around the post. On 52 minutes Frampton had their best chance to level but Dennis headed over from 6 yards. The home side levelled the score on 68 minutes from a break down the right by Joe Wilton and a cross that Steve Jackson latched onto and drove the ball into the roof of the net. There were several other chances from both sides that went begging and although the home side pushed really hard to get the winner the end result was a little disappointing.

2nd January 2016 - Gala Wilton hit Ellwood for six

The terrible weather conditions wiped out all but one of today’s fixtures – Gala Wilton entertained Ellwood in a mid-table clash.

47 spectators braved the elements to watch Gala Wilton defeat today’s visitors Ellwood by six goals to nil.

This was caretaker manager Adam Hemming first game in charge of Gala Wilton after their Manager and Assistant resigned this week. What a result for a first game in charge.

The home side took control of the game right from the off and went ahead on 4 minutes from a cross from Tom Hoskins that Martin Smith attempted to head but missed completely and it deceived keeper Tim Yemm as well and finished up in the back of the Ellwood net. 2 minutes later a long ball out of defence by the home side found Brad Martin with a clear shot on goal but Yemm brought off a great save to deny the striker. The home side could have made it 2-0 on 11 minutes as Brad Martins cross was brought down by Ben Hands who then squared it back for Martin Smith but he fired over the bar. Ellwood’s Josh Sladen's bad back pass gifted the home side with a corner and the resulting cross saw Dave Wilkinson’s header just clear the bar. Ellwood’s first attempt on goal after 22 minutes was a shot from the edge of the box by Matt Knowles but it went wide of the target. After defending in the early stages the visitors started to push forward more but from a throw in right on the Gala six yard box they lost possession the ball was cleared up field by Hoskins to Kyle Bakewell who swung it across field to Ben Hands to send full-back Mark Mason through on goal to fire the ball through the legs of keeper Tim Yemm to make it 2-0. Gary Wildin should have pulled a goal back for the visitors on 32 minutes when he rose above everyone else on the far post but then headed wide. A good interchange of passes from Martin Smith and Mason resulted in Yemm pulling off a great save to deny Gala a third goal. Yemm then pushed another shot from Martin out for a corner and from the cross Hoskins headed wide. After 40 minutes Ellwood picked up the first booking of the afternoon when Byron Ranford went into the book for a bad tackle, from the resulting free kick Joel White hit a superb 30 yard drive into the roof of the net well out of Yemm’s reach. Ellwood were now trailing 3-0 and decided to push forward leaving more space at the back and this allowed Brad Martin the room to nip past a couple of defenders to make it 4-0 at the break.

The early part of the second half produced very little from both sides but Gala made it 5-0 on 60 minutes when Kyle Bakewell found Brad Martin to square the ball across goal where the unfortunate Matt Knowles swung at the ball and sliced it past Yemm for an own goal. Martin was causing allsorts of problems for the visitors and only a double save from Yemm denied the striker a further goal. Things got worse for Ellwood in the 73rd minute when Matt Knowles picked up a yellow card for a silly tackle. The visitors never gave up and might have pulled a goal back in the 76th minute but Gary Wildin headed wide from a Mark Wayman cross. Then in the 87th minute a second Yellow Card for Knowles saw him sent off. In the 87th minute a superb interchange of passes between Brad Martin, Kyle Bakewell and Martin Smith resulted in the sixth and final goal of the afternoon with a great finish from Martin Smith.