league logo

MARCLIFF Gloucestershire County Football League

sponsor logo

Ron's Match Reports

26th March 2016 - Resurgent Kingswood win three on the bounce

The terrible weather condition of strong winds and driving rain affected every game played but the fixtures were all completed.

Kingswood continued their recent resurgence to beat the drop with an excellent 2-1 win at home to Patchway Town. This is their third win in a row and lifts them to within 2 points of Southmead who are just above them in the table. Neither side were able to break through in the first 45 minutes but the home side went ahead from a Simon Clark break down the right and a low cross into Jamie Evans to score. Patchway hit back to level on 66 minutes from a free kick that was floated to the far post where Dan Cockram rose to head home. The home side won this game in the 75th minute when Clark and Hitchings interchanged passes before Clark drove through to score. A disappointing finish for Patchway - not only for the result but finishing with ten men when their keeper was dismissed on 80 minutes.

Frampton United are definitely challenging for honours this season after their 6-1 thumping of Bishops Cleeve Reserves. The home side took the lead on 12 minutes when Lewis Wilton surged down the wing cut the ball back for Minola Marquez Espada to sweep the ball home. The lead only lasted a minute as Cleeve’s James Pickup laid the ball on for Gary Price whose 25 yard shot took a slight deflection on its way in. Frampton retook the lead on 39 minutes from a cross into the box from Lewis Wilton and was volleyed home by Nathan Barnett. A good through ball from Steve Jackson to Joe Wilton in the 46th minute put the home side further ahead. Four minutes later Joe Wilton was on target again after Matt Cooks 30 yard free kick was spilled by the Cleeve keeper, Wilton knocking in the rebound. In the 64th minute the Wilton brothers then conspired to set up Steve Jackson to drive in number five. Finally Minola Marquez Espada finished the scoring off with a terrific solo goal in the 66th minute.

Hanham Athletic has almost certainly secured their place in the league for next season with this slender 1-0 victory over Ellwood. The only goal of the game came in the first 45 minutes from a terrific cross from George Latham that was pin point onto Adam Grinters head and from twelve yards out his header flew into the top corner. The visitors offered very little in the way of attacking and struggled to create any serious problems for the home side.

Broadwell made sure of the points with three second half goals as the teams went into the break all square on 1-1. Yate surprised their hosts with a goal on just 5 minutes a cracking free kick put away by Jack Dempsey. It took the home side until a minute before the break to level and it came from a Derek Roberts cross that found Ross Gabriel on the far post to head home. The home side took control in the second half and score 3 goals in 12 minutes. The first on 68 minutes was from a 30 yard free kick from Craig Tait. Then 4 minutes later Ryan Wilks got the first of his two goals firing home a Danny Latham cross. The final goal in the 80th minute was a 30 yard low drive into the bottom corner from Ryan Wilks to complete the scoring.

Bristol Telephones made hard work of this game especially in the first 45 minutes. Although the home side had the wind behind them they struggled to create any chances and were given a helping hand in the 25th minute when Martin Blacker was upended in the box and Dhani Golding stepped up to put away the resulting penalty. Although there was an improvement in performance from the home team in the second period it took another penalty to give them a second goal. That came in the 55th minute when Mike Alvis was brought down in the box and again Dhani Golding netted from the spot. James Batchelor who had come on as a sub made it 3-0 on 85 minutes when he broke through to score from a tight angle.

Thornbury Town surprised Gala Wilton whose recent good form has brought them some good results. Thornbury should have opened the scoring as early as the second minute but Nathan Irwin scuffed his shot from just6 yards out. Town did go ahead in the 10th minute when Gala failed to close down Toby Webb as he drove his shot into the top corner. Gala’s Martin Webb had his shot well saved by the visitor’s keeper on 15 minutes and Smith was unlucky in the 25th minute when his shot hit the post and Kyle Bakewell failed to score from the rebound. Thornbury might have made it 2-0 in the 46th minute when Craig Lancastle lobbed the keeper it struck the post and rebound straight into the keeper’s arms. In the 62 minute a corner was cleared by the Gala defence who then rushed out appealing for offside but Pete Fowler was in an onside position and slotted the ball home. A long ball into the box by Thornbury was poorly dealt with by home keeper Matt Bickers and Craig Lancastle had all the time in the world to drive the ball home. The visitors might have scored again in the 76th minute when Jack Overthrow slipped allowed Danny Thompson through on goal but his finish was poor. Gala got a consolation goal in the 80th minute from a free kick that was floated into the box and Dave Wilkinson rose the highest to head home.

25th March 2016 - Southmead fight back at Henbury

A beautiful sunny afternoon for this very local derby. The game was brought forward a day at the request of the Clubs and what a shrewd move that turned out to be as 200 spectators turned out to watch the game.

Henbury should have put this game to bed in the first 45 minutes but their nonchalant approach cost them dearly in the end. The home side took the game to Southmead right from the off and the visitors had their backs to the wall defending the best they could to keep the rampant Kane Simpson and Aaron Anglin out. Jack Mills go the first shot away on 5 minutes but it was well blocked. Then Mills crossed into the box for Anglin but he missed timed his shot and the ball ran loose. Henbury went in front on 8 minutes when a ball into the box rebounded off Andy Clark’s knee straight to Kane Simpson to bury it in the back of the Southmead net. The visitors got their first shot on goal in the 9th minute a 25 yard drive from Andy Makepeace that went straight to keeper Ryan Boyce. Anglin sent a tremendous drive at the visitor’s goal but it just cleared the bar. A stupendous mistake by the Southmead keeper on 29 minutes almost gave Henbury a second goal as he failed to control a simple pass back and gave it straight to the lurking Kane Simpson. Simpson only twelve yards out struck the ball at the target but somehow a Southmead defender managed to deflect the ball away from the goal. Southmead forced their first corner on 34 minutes, the cross was good but it was headed over the bar. Adam Rosser found Kane Simpson on the right side of the box but the striker hit his shot into the side netting. On 42 minutes the visitors conceded a penalty when Anglin was brought down on the far side of the box. Jack Mills the penalty king for Henbury then proceeded to hit the penalty straight at keeper Luke Abbott who never moved from the centre of goal.

Henbury continued to push the Southmead defence and the build up was excellent but they could not find that all important finish. The home side were unlucky in the 50 minute when a shot from Mills struck the upright. A mistake by Adam Rosser allowed Octivan Gala a clear shot on goal but from 30 yards the ball went wide. A break down the left by Southmead saw a good cross into the box from Christian Bailey that was sliced by home defender Scott Thomas and it took a real scramble for Henbury to eventually get the ball clear. Henbury were unlucky again in the 63rd minute this time it was a cross from Anglin to Reece Purnell whose shot cannoned of the post. Henbury went 2-0 up on 67 minutes from a long Anglin cross from the left side finding Kane Simpson on the far post to strike his shot back across goal and into the far corner. At this stage of the game the home side were in control and looked to have the game won. That is until Southmead who had not looked like scoring all game surprised the home side in the 76th minute when Dale Polson hit a superb free kick from 25 yards past Boyle. This definitely lifted the visitors and they started to win a lot more of the ball and four minutes later they were level a ball knocked into the box was left by Henbury defender Scott Thomas for the goalkeeper to collect and Andy Clark made up for his earlier mistake and nipped in to flick the ball past Boyle. Henbury did their best to grab a winner and Kane Simpson went close as broke clear but then had the ball nipped off his toe at the last second. The final effort on goal came from Christian Bailey a tremendous shot form 25 yards that just cleared the bar. A good come back for the visitor’s to gain a point to help them escape possible relegation. Where as the home side know they should have won this game but failed to put away the chances they created.

19th March 2016 - Rockleaze Rangers and Hardwicke through to cup final

Rockeaze Rangers will meet Hardwicke in the final of the Les James League Cup in May.

In the league AEK Boco win at home to Yate Town Reserves whilst Frampton United remain second after a win at third place Henbury. Bottom Club Kingswood pick up their second win in succession.

Les James League Cup Semi Finals - Sponsored by Boca Teamwear

The Les James League Cup Semi-final between Rockleaze Rangers and Bishops Cleeve Reserves never really got out of the starting blocks. Both sides seamed void of ideas to make a break through. Cleeve had one shot on target in the first 45 minutes a Martin Tomes effort from the edge of the box that went straight to Sam Burgess in the home goal. Rangers only real chance in the first half came in the 21st minute a shot from Ieuan Crowe that keeper Eric Edge stopped with his legs. Steve Fitzpatrick let fly from 30 yards just before the break but it went straight to Edge.

Most of the second period was repeat of the first 45 minutes with neither side looking as though they were going to break the deadlock. Bishops Cleeve came the nearest on 72 minutes with a great shot from Matt Magee that Burgess palmed around the post for a corner. The game petered out to a 0-0 draw with the taking of penalties to decide who would be playing in the Final.

The home side got off to a dreadful start as Steve Fitzpatrick pulled his shot wide of the target. James Pickup then made it 1-0 to Cleeve.

Aaron Day scored for Rangers and Rob Reid netted for Cleeve.

Rangers Carl Lakey Levelled the score to 2-2 before Cleeves Ben Robinson struck the crossbar with his penalty.

Theo Combs put the home side in front and then Will Pugh missed the target altogether for Cleeve.

This meant if Neil Simmons could score for Rangers they would be in the final. He did not let his team mates down and Rangers won 4-2 from the penalty spot.

Report by Michael Wheatley

In a game between two evenly matched sides - watched by a crowd of 52 - a dour struggle was expected – especially following a 1-1 draw in their game last Saturday.

The game was “typical end to end” Cup Tie football, with current Trophy Holders Thornbury starting the brighter & having most of early possession.

However, the first real chance fell to the home side after 12 minutes, when skipper Rob Hine headed a left wing corner against the visitors’ cross bar.

Thornbury followed this on 17 minutes when a Nathan Sage cross from the right, found the head of Craig Lancastle – who narrowly put his effort wide of the goal.

A corner from the left, delivered by Luke Franklin on 26 minutes almost produced an opener, but the final touch eluded his waiting Thornbury team mates.

Lancastle threatened again on 31 minutes but he was unable to convert a difficult chance produced by a cross from the right.

It seemed to be all possession for the visitors at this stage & a 20 yard free kick from Danny Haines after 33 minutes skimmed the Hardwicke cross bar, only for Franklin to put a right wing corner over the bar after 35 minutes.

The home side managed to stem the tide in the closing minutes of the half when they pressed on 40 minutes & engaged in a session of “header tennis” in visitors penalty area which Thornbury were relieved to clear. But this was followed by a narrow escape 3 minutes later when a right wing cross was headed away & a free kick from the right on 44 minutes was headed against the post by Thornbury’s Mark Viner, in an attempt to clear.

The half ended with visitors right back Joe guest dispossessing dangerous home forward Steve Bick in a threatening situation.

The second half opened with Hardwicke having first chance when Thornbury ‘keeper Alex Lippiatt mishandled a shot, but managed to recover.

Back came the visitors & home ‘keeper Hunt was forced to save a Tom Webb effort.

For a while the game then became a “war of attrition” with both defences on top & chances being almost non existent.

Hardwicke had a chance on 60 minutes when a free kick was put past the post.

Gradually the home side began to exert control & had the better of the game. Thornbury ‘keeper had to be alert on 70 minutes to thwart a chance.

But even though Franklin had a chance on 73 minutes, the initiative seemed to be swinging more & more in favour of the home side. On 80 minutes a free kick was headed against the bar by Webb for the home side & on 83 minutes pressure possession by Hardwicke in visitors’ penalty area, was relieved by the ball being put over the bar.

The game was settled in 85th. minute when a misunderstanding between Sage & ‘keeper Lippiatt for the visitors, resulted in the former heading the ball into the path of a home player - allowing Steve Bick to fire home the winner.

League Games

In the battle between second and third in the table Henbury v Frampton United the visitors went away with the three points with a 3-2 win. The game started with a bang with two penalties being awarded in the first five minutes. The first went to Frampton on 2 minutes which was put away by Myron Turner. Three minutes later it was the home sides turn from the penalty spot. Aaron Anglin levelled the score. Henbury took the lead on 50 minutes from a Adam Rosser free kick that was headed on to Anglin to turn the ball in. Frampton hit back from a free kick that was knocked into the box and scrambled over the line by Steve Jackson. Frampton stole the points when Nathan Barnett’s cross was swept home by Lewis Wilton.

Southmead CS Athletic gained a valuable point in their home fixture with Bristol Telephones. Phones took the lead on 27 minutes when Dale Polson was adjudged to have handled in the box and Ryan Hicks made no mistake from the spot. The home side levelled on 40 minutes with a 35 yard spectacular goal from Christian Bailey that fizzed into the bottom corner.

Hanham Athletic also gained a valuable point in their home game with Baodwell Amateurs. The visitors took the lead on 20 minutes when Ross Gabriel headed home. Hanham hit back on 30 minutes with a header from Adam Grinter inside the six yard box. Ross Gabriel restored the leasd for Brosdwell a minute before the break from the penalty spot. Three minutes into the second half the home side levelled again this time from a low crisp shot into the bottom corner by Connor Britton.

A 2-1 win for Patchway Town over today’s visitors Ellwood. The home side opened the scoring on 25 minute when Jordan Yeo’s cross was headed down by Chris Church for Matt Davies to slide the ball home. Three minutes into the second half Jamie Addis rounded several home defenders before beating the keeper to make it 1-1. Just a couple of minutes later Patchway grabbed the winner from a cross into the box that was poorly handleD by the visitors keeper it struck Cockram and fell nicely for Antonio Nurse to strike home from just inside the box.

AEK Boco gained a very slender 1-0 victory over Yate Town Reserves but it was a scrappy game that never really got going. The only goal of the game came in the 55th minute when Charlie Stevens had to be replaced because of injury and Jason Thatcher took his place and instantly made the difference when he a left footed volley home from a corner.

Kingswood picked up their second win with a 4-1 result at Cheltenham Civil Service. Jamie Evans got them off to a good start on 6 minutes when he tapped in a cross to the far post. Evans made it 2-0 on 12 minutes with a great stile from the edge of the box into the top corner. Right on half time a through ball to Gary Simmons set him up with a one on one situation to make it 3-0 at the break. Frank Hitchings made it 4-0 from the penalty spot on 75 minutes. The home side got a consolation goal five minutes from time when Kingswood’s Adam Eldridge headed the ball into his own net.

12th March 2016 - Menear strike see's AEK Boco move 16 point clear

AEK Boco have gone sixteen points clear after their win at Bristol Telephones and Henbury losing at Gala Wilton. Frampton United move into second place with a win over Yate Town Reserves and Kingswood win their first game of the season at home to Southmead CS Athletic.

The game at Stockwood Lane between Bristol Telephones and AEK Boco was a very close encounter with neither side able to create many chances. Two contrasting styles of play Bristol Telephones relying on the long ball whilst the visitors AEK Boco tried to get the ball on the deck and pass it around.

Telephones started the better and pushed the leaders hard for the first ten minutes but came up against a very stubborn defence. The first shot on target after 11 minutes form Boco’s Liam Jenkins was well saved by keeper Aaron Greatbanks. Good interchange of passes set up Jason Thatcher for Boco but he hit his shot over the bar. The only goal of the game came after 18 minutes a shot from Ben Menear that struck the post on its way in. Jason Thatcher looked to increase the lead for the visitors but he was way over the bar with a couple of efforts from the edge of the box. Phones thought they had a good shout for a penalty in the 28th minute but the match official waved play on. A poor goal kick from Greatbanks on 35 minutes almost cost Phones a second goal as the ball went straight to Jordan Scott who sped forward unleashed a tremendous shot but Greatbanks made amends and palmed the shot wide. Dhani Golding who had been rather quiet up to the 37th minute let fly from the edge of the box but Boco keeper Joe Pople had it covered.

A Martin Blacker shot on 53 minutes just cleared the Boco bar. In the 63rd minute Boco keeper Pople brought off a great save from a Dhani Golding free kick on the right side of the box. At the other end a Charlie Stevens shot just cleared the bar. Phones were unlucky in the 86th minute when Pople saved Dhani Goldings free kick palmed it up it was headed goalwards but Pople saved again. This win and the lead that Boco have will almost certainly give them the title this season

Rockleaze Rangers 2-0 win at home to Broadwell Amateurs sets them up well for their Les James League Cup Semi-final next week. Both the goal came in the first 45 minutes. The first on 14 minutes a superb half volley from 20 yards from Jay Connor that left the visitors keeper stranded. Savas Frangoulis was unlucky on 19 minutes when his shot struck the corner of the upright and crossbar and rebounded into play. On 42 minutes Rangers got a second rather fortunate as James Fitzpatricks cross into the box eluded everyone and finished up in the corner of the net. Steve Fitzpartick should have scored a third on 52 minutes but somehow contrived to miss the target with header from 2 yards.

A huge shock for Henbury after their heavy defeat at Gala Wilton today. Gala forced three corners in the first 3 minutes and from the third they went ahead when the Henbury keeper pushed the ball straight to Alex Pritchard who fired the ball into the corner of the net. Joel White set up Kyle Bakewell in the 17th minute but he shot wide. The home side went 2-0 up on 22 minutes from a long ball up field by keeper Matt Vickers it was headed on for Craig Howells to score. Henbury hit back on 28 minutes when a cross from Shaun Heal found the Gala defence get themselves in a muddle and the ball ran through for Caelen Simpson to tap home. Henbury had another great chance to level on 39 minutes when Rob Wilks crossed into the box but Reece Purnell failed to hit the target with his shot. Gala went 3-1 up on 49 minutes when a Joel White free kick took a deflection off the wall and into the net. In the 54th minute it was 4-1 this time Dave Wilkinson driving the ball home after the Henbury defence failed to clear. Gala’s fifth goal on 74 minutes came from a great piece of work from Martin Smith who very unselfishly squared the ball across to Sam Webb to slot home.

Ellwood fortunes changed today with a 4-0 success over Cheltenham Civil Service. The star of the game was Jamie Addis who netted a hattrick for the home side. Gary Wildin gave Ellwood the lead on 10 minutes when he headed home at the far post. In the 55th minute Wildin squared the ball back for Jamie Addis to score the first of his three goals. Addis netted his second on 75 minutes and then completed his hattrick with 5 minutes left an individual effort breaking through the visitors defence.

A strike on 7 minutes from Patchway Towns Luke Garbacz a scuffed shot that finished up in the back of the Hanham Athletic’s net was enough to take all three points.

Kingswood have done it last they have recorded their first win of the season with a 2-0 victory over Southmead CS Athletic. The home side took control from the off but had to wait until the 25th minute to open the scoring. Simon Clark’s free kick found Jamie Evans who with a one on one situation slotted the ball into the net. Southmead were unlucky when Tomlin’s struck the crossbar and the ball was put into the Kingswood net but was ruled out for of side. Kingswood’s Jordan Simms went close on 55 minutes but his effort was just over the bar. In the 73rd minute Jamie Evans got his second when a good move by Josh Stokes set him up with the same situation as his first a one on one with the keeper.

Frampton move into second place in the table with a 2-1 win at home to Yate Town Reserves. Yate had a great chance to go ahead on 7 minutes when Mike Alvis latched onto a back pass by a Frampton defender but keeper Craig Barnfield brought off a great save to deny the striker. 2 minutes later the home side were one up after Frazer Wilson shot was tipped onto the bar but Myron Turner followed up to score. The home side made it 2-0 on 52 minutes from a free kick taken by Minola Marquez Espada that was finished off by Nathan Barnett. Yate got a late goal from a free kick that the home side failed to clear and Jordan Saxton made no mistake.

Thornbury Town and Hardwicke met at the Mundy Playing Fields in what could be described as a rehearsal for next weeks meeting in the Les Lames League Cup Semi- final only that will be played at Hardwicke. The game finished 1-1 but Craig Lancastle shot on 6 minutes rattled the cross bar. The home side went ahead on 28 minutes from a free kick just outside the box in the centre. Luke Franklins well struck shot deceived the visitors keeper – 1-0. Hardwicke thought they had levelled 2 minutes later as Andrew Price headed home but it was ruled out for a foul on the keeper. The Hardwicke equaliser was a very good goal a free kick struck by Paul Carter over the wall into the top corner.

5th March 2016 - Gala Wilton take the points at Yate

With Henbury not playing today leaders AEK Boco go further ahead in the table with a win over bottom Club Kingswood. Three fixtures fell victim to over night heavy rain.

Yate Town Reserves were looking to bounce back from the heavy defeat last week with a home fixture against Gala Wilton. The home side had much the better of the first half and Gala’s keeper Matt Bickers made a great save from a Mike Alvis shot on 7 minutes. Kyle Bakewell challenged home keeper Jon Eames to a fifty – fifty ball on 12 minutes with the keeper winning the day and preventing Gala from going ahead. On 24 minutes Eames did well to turn Dan Irvine’s free kick around the post. Yates Liam Pullen and Henry Jones had good chances to put the home side in front but both shots cleared the bar. The best chance for the visitors came in the 36th minute when a through ball found Sam Webb time his run perfectly but then with just the keeper to beat he shot wide.

So a barren first 45 minutes but what a start to the second half by Gala. Within 3 minutes they were 2-0 up the first on 46 minutes was netted by Martin Smith and then two minutes later Dan Irvine got the second. Yate’s Mike Alvis should have scored in the 65th minute when he broke clear on goal but was closed down by Bickers who parried his shot away. In the 69th minute Yate prevented a third goal with a goal-line clearance. In the 84th minute Alvis missed a sitter but made up for it 2 minutes later when he broke into the box to score. In the very last minute of the game Gala Substitute Jason Littleton scored to make it 3-1. An exciting game at Bristol Telephones with a 3-3 result against Thornbury Town. A brace of goals for Phones Dhani Golding and a brace for Towns Craig Lancastle. Thornbury went ahead on 15 minutes when Craig Lancastle headed home at the far post. The home side levelled the score on 35 minutes with a superb free kick from Dhani Golding getting the ball over the wall and into the top corner leaving the visitors goal keeper stranded. The home side took the lead on 40 minutes from a free kick that was awarded after Keiron Golding had made a great run from defence only to be brought down on the edge of the box. The resulting free kick was headed home by Matt Knapman. Right on half time an own goal from Phones Marc Griffiths brought the scores level again. Phones retook the lead on 60 minutes when Dhani Golding headed home a Sam Sarre cross from the right. Ten minutes later the visitors drew level again when they were awarded a penalty after the home defender trying to make a last ditch tackle in the box gave Town the opportunity to level from the spot. Craig Lancastle placed the ball into the phones net to make the final score 3-3.

Frampton United hit back after their shock home defeat at home last week with an excellent 4-2 victory at Broadwell Amateurs. The ground staff at Broadwell worked really hard to get this game on. The opening goal came after 20 minutes when Minola Marquez Espada found himself in a one on one situation and rounded the home keeper to put Frampton one up. Ten minutes later the home side were level when Kristian Barnard fired low into the corner of the net. A minute before the break the home side went ahead as Barnard broke into the box he was brought down and Craig Tait netted the resulting penalty. Frampton won this game after scoring three more in a very exciting second half. Kris Bulley tapped in from close range to make 2-2 on 50 minutes then five minutes later Nathan Dennis headed home from a free kick to put the visitors 3-2 up. An 82nd minute 25 yard pile driver from Matt Cook sealed the points for Frampton United.

AEK Boco just keeps marching on and took another three points with a 4-1 victory over basement Club Kingswood. This game was played at the Crown Field Keynsham as Boco’s pitch was unfit. Jordan Scott gave the home side the lead with a header from a free kick on 25 minutes. An own goal from Dan Brister put the visitors on level terms after 50 minutes. Like last week Boco then scored three more in the last 15 minutes. Liam Jenkins netted from just inside the box on 75 minutes then Ben Menear scored from a Jordan Scot cross five minutes later. Liam Jenkins scored his second five minutes from the end to complete the scoring.

Patchway Town were trailing 2-0 at half time at Cheltenham Civil Service but hit back in the second half to win 3-2. A free kick from Jamie Locke was only parried by the visitor’s keeper and Richard Morse was on hand to give the home side the lead after 5 minutes. A great goal from Stuart Midwinter on 35 minutes made it 2-0 the player squeezing the ball back from a very acute angle to score at the far post. Just 2 minute later disaster for the home side when Gareth Evans was dismissed for an innocuous challenge. Patchway started their revival on 55 minutes when Rayon McLean netted from just on the edge of the box. A long ball over the top found Tom Knighton to bring the scores level on 63 minutes. The winner for Patchway in the 75th minute was a well worked move down the left that was crossed into the box but was poorly dealt with by home keeper Steve Benbow and Jordan Yeo was on hand to score. The home side finished the game with 8 players when Stuart Midwinter received a second yellow card on 88 minutes and then having made all their substitutions another player had to leave the field through injury.