league logo

MARCLIFF Gloucestershire County Football League

sponsor logo

Ron's Match Reports

15th May 2016 - Hardwicke win Les James Cup - Sponsored by Boca Teamwear

Match Report by Jon Palmer

Hardwicke 1 Rockleaze Rangers 0

Hardwicke Les James Cup Winners 2015-16, Image courtesy Hilary Issac

A perfectly placed finish from Craig Harris was enough to capture the Les James League Cup for Hardwicke.

Harris struck in the 63rd minute after Will Matthews' pass to sink Rockleaze Rangers at Tytherington Rocks' Hardwicke Playing Field.

It capped an impressive first season back at County League level for Lee Chivers' side, who finished 11th in the table.

In a game of few clear cut chances, Rockleaze hit the post in the 21st minute through James Fitzpatrick.

Hardwicke's best chance of the first half fell to Jamie Reid after Harris' pass, but the former Gloucester City man failed to hit the target.

Steve Bick nearly played in Matthews, but Rockleaze's defence stood firm and it remained 0-0 at the break.

Matthews had to clear of his own line in the 49th minute after Hardwicke failed to deal with a corner from Greg Parr.

But the all important breakthrough arrived when Harris kept his cool to lift the ball deftly over advancing goalkeeper Sam Burgess and into the top left corner.

Dominant displays from central defenders Andrew Price and Dan Chivers then ensured that Rangers were shut out.

Craig Harris
Craig Harris about to score the winner, Image courtesy Hilary Issac

Hardwicke boss Lee Chivers said: "I thought the game was a cagey one of which neither side created a great deal and the majority of the game was played out in the middle of the park with neither keeper having a lot to do.

"The one bit of quality in the whole game came from Craig Harris with his quality lob over the keeper.

"To win the cup has capped off a good first season back in the County League and we will now enjoy the summer before the hard work begins in pre-season to really push on and aim for a top five finish and retain our Les James Cup."

Hardwicke Captain
Hardwicke Captain Rob Hine recieves the Les James Cup from Rob Boyd Managing Director of Boca Teamwear, Image courtesy Hilary Issac

Hardwicke: K Edwards, N Jones, D Chivers, A Price, P Vernall (R Mansell 56), S Bick, R Hine, T Webb, J Reid, C Harris, W Matthews. Subs not used: W Higgins, S Thorp, L Tonks, J Hunt.

Rockleaze Rangers: S Burgess, N Simons, T Coombs, B Thomas, J Grotzke, G Parr, J Fitzpatrick, M Williams (E Freeman 82), S Fitzpatrick, I Crowe, R Bray (T Murray 74). Subs not used: J Willott, M Jones.

Referee: J Seymour.

Attendance: 155.

14th May 2016 - Broadwell finish with a win

Before the game kicked off the leagues leading goalscorer Dhani Golding was presented with the Golden Boot award by league Chairman Bob Stewart.

Dhani Golding
Dhani Golding recieves the leading Goalscorer award from Chairman Bob Stewart

The very last fixture of the league season turned out to be quite a close affair after Bristol Telephones could only manage to field 10 players throughout the game. A Craig Lewis free kick just on the edge of the box after 2 minutes was disappointing when his shot went straight into the arms of Phones keeper Aaron Greatbanks. On 18 minutes Phones Dhani Golding worked an opening down the left and crossed for Martin Blacker at the far post but he his shot over the bar from 8 yards. Graetbanks brought off a great save on 20 minutes when he tipped a goal bound header from Ross Gabriel over the bar. A ball over the visitors defence saw Ross Gabriel head goalwards as Greatbanks tried to punch clear but the strikers effort went just the wrong side of the upright. Broadwell’s next attach on 25 minutes saw Gabriel’s shot across goal go just wide of the post. Kane Fellows had a great chance to open the scoring for Broadwell in the 27th minute after latching onto a great ball that put him clear on goal but Greatbanks closed down quickly and blocked the shot. Kristian Burnard was unlucky with a very tight angled shot on 32 minutes and then 10 minutes before the break Gabriel was on target with his header but it was not good enough to beat the keeper. The visitors put up a great fight and were never going to let the home side run away with the game.

8 minutes into the second half we saw a great overhead kick from Ross Gabriel that went just over the bar - that would have been some goal if that had gone in. The home side did eventually make the break through on 60 minutes an in-swinging corner from the right was parried by Greatbanks the second shot was then cleared off the line before it came back to Greg Lewis to power into the net from around 8 yards. Phones almost gifted a second goal to Broadwell on 65 minutes when Sam Williams’s attempted back pass fell short and Kristian Burnard was onto it like a flash but once again Greatbanks saved well. The home side went 2-0 up on 66 minutes a high ball knocked into the box which Greatbanks attempted to punch clear but Ross Gabriel out jumped the keeper to head the ball into the empty net. Although the visitors had plenty of the ball they failed to create many chances and a rare shot from full-back Sam Sarre brought home keeper Craig Edwards into action to make a good save. Telephones surprised the home side in the 81st minute from a break down the left and a through ball from Dhani Golding to Ryan Hicks and he neatly chipped the ball over the keeper from a tight angle.

7th May 2016 - Henbury seal second place

The match of the day was the game at Arnell Drive where Henbury took on Thornbury Town both team looking to grab the runners-up place in the league. Henbury needed to win whilst Thornbury would be satisfied with a draw or a win with one game left to play next Tuesday.

The final result a 5-0 win for Henbury was well justified against a much changed Thornbury Town side. For the first 20 minutes of the game both sides crated very little then in the 21st minute Aaron Anglin missed a golden opportunity to give Henbury the lead when he headed wide with just Lippiatt to beat. Within a minute Anglin made up for that miss from the penalty spot after Kane Simpson had been brought down in the box. Thornbury had a great chance to level on 32 minutes when the home keeper Jake Hannam miss-kicked the ball straight to Marcus Wormwell who was so surprised that he hit straight back to the keeper. On 35 minutes Jack Mills opened up space and sent a great pass to Adam Rosser who then pulled his shot wide from the edge of the box. Thornbury’s first real effort on goal came in the 37th minute a tremendous shot from 25 yards from Luke Franklin but Hannam got well behind it to save.

2 minutes into the second half Thornbury had a great chance to make it 1-1 when Craig Lancastle drove a low shot from a tight angle goal wards but Hannam brought off a fine save to deny the striker. Henbury went 2-0 up on 50 minutes from a tremendous dipping shot from Jack Mills that left Lippiatt stranded. It was 3-0 on 65 minutes as Scott Thomas headed home from a corner as the visitors keeper made no attempt to go for the ball. Thomas scored his second in the 77th minute picking up on a terrible piece of goal keeping from Lippiatt as he spilled the ball straight to Thomas to head home. Henbury scored their fifth and final goal in the 83 minute after Lippiatt had pushed the ball out for a corner. The cross from the corner was met at the near post by Aaron Anglin to steer the ball into the net. The players were presented with their Runners-up trophies after the game by Chairman Bob Stewart.

Henbury 2015-16 League Runners-Up

Southmead SC Athletic travelled to Hardwicke for their final fixture of the season knowing that they needed a win to avoid finishing on the bottom of the table. Unfortunately they were unable to achieve their goal and were defeated 4-1. The game was fairly even for the first 35 minutes until Hardwicke broke the dead lock a minute later when Will Matthews knocked home a Jack Twyman cross. The home side went into the break with a 2-0 lead when Will Matthews netted from the penalty spot. Southmead hit back on 55 minutes when Andy Makepeace drove the ball home from 10 yards. A third goal on 71 minutes from the home side shook the visitors a Craig Harris free kick took a deflection and Tobie Webb chipped the ball over the keeper. Sam Hill bundled in a fourth for Hardwicke on 84 minutes from right on the goal-line. To make things even worse for the visitors Hardwicke keeper Ken Edwards save a penalty after Glen Gittings had given Southmead a slender chance.

Bristol Telephones rounded off their home fixtures with a resounding 8-1 defeat of Ellwood. Strangely though it was the visitors who took the lead on 15 minutes when Byron Ranford found space in the box to head home from a free kick. Phones drew level 10 minutes later when Dhani Golding headed home from a corner for the first of his four goals of the afternoon. Just before the break Phones Mike Alvis missed a sitter, but right on 45 minutes Billy Downes scored with a crisp shot to give them a 2-1 lead. Golding scored again on 50 minute when he latched onto a long ball rounded the keeper and a couple of defenders before slotting the ball home. Byron Ranford could have scored a second for the visitors on 65 minutes but missed an open goal. Two goals in 6 minutes from Golding the first on 66 minutes set up by Kieran Hunt and a second on 72 minutes a headed goal from a corner put the home side well in command. The home side brought on Ryan Webber who scored with a 25 yard volley on 80 minutes and then scored a second five minutes later set up by Golding. In the 89th minute Mike Alvis who had earlier missed good chances finally found the back of the Ellwood net. Ellwood’s keeper Scott Tyler brought off a magnificent save right on time to deny Ryan Webber his hattrick.

An early kick-off at Broadwell Amateurs which the home side had requested because they were staging their end of season function straight afterwards. Their visitors today were Rockleaze Rangers who have had a very good season so far. Broadwell got off to a great start taking the lead after just 2 minutes when a long ball over the Rangers defence was met by Ross Gabriel who volleyed into the roof of the net. Gabriel should have made it 2-0 on 12 minutes but shot wide. Rangers drew level on 29 minutes with a well worked corner that was flicked on for James Fitzpatrick to volley home. The play was fast and furious with both teams going for the win and it came in the 80th minute for Rangers when Richard Bray laid the ball on for Steve Fitzpatrick to drive home.

2nd May 2016 - Southmead grab a lifeline

Only four fixtures today but two involved teams one who are trying for runners up spot and the other to try and avoid going down.

Henbury came unstuck at home to Bishops Cleeve Reserves whilst Southmead CS Athletic won their crucial game at home to Ellwood.

Southmead CS Athletic prop up the rest at present and had to win today to try and avoid finishing bottom of the table. They did it in style against a much changed Ellwood team that are safe for another season. The home side got off to a tremendous start and were a goal up in the first minute when the Ellwood keeper Scott Tyler dropped the ball from a free kick right at the feet of Kye Perks to fire home. Two minutes later the home side were two in front again it came from a free kick from the right that was headed home by Ben Fry. Ellwood’s first attempt on goal after 10 minutes was from a free kick just out side the box that was struck well by Tom Liddington but it went straight to Sebastian Gribble in the home goal. The home side went 3-0 up on 18 minutes when Gribble’s long ball up field found Dominic Holver who forged into the Ellwood box and drove his shot past Tyler. A couple of minutes later Tyler did well to save a Rob Sivers free kick. Ellwood pulled a goal back on 22 minutes when Matt Remnent sent Tom Liddington clear and he carefully picked his spot to drive the ball past Gribble. Ellwood should have scored again on 24 minutes when Liddington squared the ball across goal only for Matt Wayman who sky the ball over the bar from eight yards. The home side went 4-1 up in the 29th minute when Holver burst into the box got his shot on target only to see Tyler parry it away but it went straight to Rob Sivers to fire home. Ellwood were unlucky right on half time when Gary Wildins powerful header was heading for the top corner only to be deflected away for a corner at the last moment.

Southmead took a 5-1 lead in the 53rd minute when Sam Rushworth brought down Holver just inside the box and Rob Sivers neatly tucked away the penalty. Holver almost scored again in the 62nd minute when his 40 yard run saw the striker hit a good low shot on target but Tyler stuck out a leg and the ball rebounded up field and was cleared. A minute later Ellwood struck with a second goal the initial work by Liddington saw the striker square the ball to Matt Wayman to slide home. The visitors were having much more possession and the home side were on the back foot as the visitors pushed forward to try and reduce the arrears. Steve Blaby was only just wide of the target for Ellwood as Gribble scramble across goal on 73 minutes, then with just 3 minutes to go the visitors scored a third. The ball was struck across goal from the right it was deflected to Wayman who drove the ball past Gribble with ease. Southmead travel to Hardwicke next Saturday for their final game of the season and all is at stake because only a win can prevent them from finishing bottom of the table.

Henbury stumbled at home today going down 2-0 to visitors Bishops Cleeve Reserves. According to the reporter the home side missed so many chances it was just unbelievable. Strikes from Adam Rosser Aaron Anglin and Kane Simpson that had been going in previous games were all missed. Cleeve went ahead on 10 minutes from a cross into the box from Tom Cooper that was headed home by Adam Gill. The visitors increased that lead on 50 minutes when Jack Bebbington fouled Rob Reid in the box and Reid slotted away the resulting penalty. Henbury will now have to win both of their remaining fixtures to gain the runners-up spot.

Gala Wilton finished their season in style with a 4-1 win over today’s visitors Hanham Athletic. Gala took the lead on 15 minutes with a well worked move down the left between Adam Hemming and Alex Pritchard with Pritchard driving the ball into the far corner. Five minute later it was 2-0 to the home side this time the move developed down the right between Sam Webb and Jack Overthrow with Overthrow volleying the ball into the top corner. Pritchard made it 3-0 on 55 minutes firing a low left footed shot just inside the near post. On 75 minutes Hanham broke out of defence following a questionable back pass that was waved away and the cross into the Gala box was headed into the far corner by George Cryer. Gala increased their lead on 85 minutes from a great shot from Joel White that was saved by the visitors keeper but rebounded to Daniel Mazurek to fire home.

Hardwicke bounced back from their defeat on Saturday with 4-2 victory over Bristol Telephones. It was Phones who went ahead on 13 minutes when Dhani Golding headed home from a corner at the near post. The home side levelled the score in the 30th minute from a Paul Carter 25 yard strike that the visitor’s keeper got his fingers to but could not prevent it going in. Two minutes later Carter sent Will Matthews clear to drive the ball into the top corner. A minute before the break it was 3-1 to the home side as Paul Carter drove his 30 yard free kick into the top corner well away from the keeper. Phones pulled a goal back on the hour when Aaron McQuaid beat the keeper. The home side rounded the scoring off in the 76th minute when Will Matthews netted the fourth and final goal from the penalty spot.

30th April 2016 - AEK Boco edge out Hardwicke

AEK Boco’s slender win over Hardwicke was finished off with the presentation of the Championship Cup and trophies after the game was completed.

The chasing pack going for the runners up spot all won today. Frampton United thumped Ellwood in the forest; whist Thornbury Town gave Bishops Cleeve Reserves no change in a comfortable win at home. Henbury kept their chances alive with a win at Broadwell Amateurs.

At the bottom Yate Town Reserves win at home over Southmead CS Athletic gives them some breathing space, but the result sent Cheltenham Civil Service next to bottom. Southmead are propping up the table.

AEK Boco and Hardwicke put on a splendid game of football with the home side winning this game with just the one goal. The visitors took the early initiative and forced several corners in the first few minutes of the game. At the other end Charlie Stevens latched on to a loose ball that had rebounded of a Hardwicke defender but then pulled his shot wide. It was Stevens again on target on 15 minutes but his shot was not good enough to beat Dan Chivers. Boco’s goal on 28 minutes was something quite special as the ball came in square from the right Jason Thatcher struck it from 25 yards and it fizzed past Chivers into the bottom corner.

Hardwicke’s Steve Bick might have levelled 7 minutes into the second half but miscued his shot. At the other end Liam Jenkins fired over the top with a clear shot on goal. Hardwicke’s best chance came in the 59th minute when Boco keeper Joe Pople spilled the ball but some how the defence managed to scramble the ball away. Liam Jenkins saw his shot well saved by Chivers on 73 minutes and another great save from Chivers in the 81st minute kept the score to just 1-0.

Yate Town Reserves have given themselves a good chance of avoiding the drop with a 4-2 home victory over Southmead CS Athletic. The star man for Yate was undoubtedly George Box who netted all four goals for the home side. He opened his account on 35 minute with a clinical finish from an acute angle. Southmead levelled the score on the hour mark when Rob Sivers netted from the penalty spot. Five minutes later Yate retook the lead when Luke Corbiere cross was headed home by Box. Box completed his hattrick on 75 minutes from a great through ball from Liam Pullen. Pullen and Saxton interchange of passes finished up with Box who coolly rounded the keeper to net his fourth. Southmead did manage a second goal on 90 minutes when Rob Sivers lobbed the keeper from a very tight angle.

Henbury are keeping their chances of the runners-up spot alive with an excellent 2-1 win at Broadwell Amateurs. Kane Simpson was unlucky in the second minute when his shot rebounded off the upright. But it was the home side that went ahead when Ross Gabriel challenged for a high ball that fell nicely for Ryan Wilks to volley home. The home side almost gifted the visitors a second on 30 minutes when Ben Schillers back header went over keeper Edwards but Alex Brown cleared off the line. However Henbury drew level on 36 minutes when Schiller in trying to clear drove the ball onto Kane Simpson and the rebound ended up in the back of the Broadwell net. The winning goal for Henbury came after 48 minutes when keeper Edwards misjudged a cross into the box and Reece Purnell was there to slide the ball home. Broadwell’s Kristian Burnard had a good chance to level on 77 minute but put his header over the bar. Unfortunately the home side finished with ten men when Alex Brown received a second yellow and was dismissed.

Thornbury Town have all guns blazing at present as they challenge for the runners-up spot. The hammered five into the Bishops Cleeve Reserves net without reply. Town were a goal up after 6 minutes when Craig Lancastle scored from just inside the box. The second right on halftime came from a Luke Franklin free kick that squirmed under the Cleeve keeper Eric Edge. Danny Haines picked up a loose ball just outside the box to net Thornbury’s third on 62 minutes. Marcus Wormwell was brought down in the box and Craig Lancastle netted from the spot for the fourth. Tom Webb and Asher Budd then set up Nathan Irwin to power home a headed gaol for the fifth.

Frampton United finished off their season with a bang netting six past the Ellwood keeper without reply. Lewis Wilton gave them the lead on 30 minutes and they went 2-0 up just before the break with a second goal from Myron Turner. Lewis Wilton then netted his second on the hour mark and ten minutes later Myron Turner made it 4-0 from the penalty spot. Steve Jackson chipped in with the fifth on 75 minutes and Minola Marquez Espada rounded it of five minutes from the end.

Rockleaze Rangers took an early lead at home to Hanham Athletic when Tom Dailly nipped in following a back header and lobbed the ball over keeper Fletcher. The visitors drew level on 48 minutes when home keeper Sam Burgess dropped the ball leaving George Cryer the simple task of tapping the ball home. Rangers Greg Parr struck the post and then saw Fletcher turn his goal bound effort around the post. Right at the end Steve Fitzpatrick was denied a winner when Jack Baber took the ball off his toe just as he was about to shoot.

Not much action in the first 45 minutes of the game between Bristol Telephones and Patchway Town. The result all came down to a Patchway break away in the 80th minute as home keeper Aaron Greatbanks committed himself to early leaving Mark Stoneham the easiest of chances to lob the ball over the keeper into the net.

23rd April 2016 - AEK Boco clinch Championship

AEK Boco’s draw at home to Frampton United means that they will be crowned the new Champions of the Marcliff Gloucestershire County Football League.

Frampton United remain in second place hotly pursued by Henbury and Thornbury Town.

At the bottom of the table Yate Town Reserves picked up a valuable point in midweek and another at Ellwood today - whilst Southmead CS Athletic lost all three games they played this week leaving them rooted to the bottom.

AEK Boco’s 1-1 draw at home to Frampton United was enough to give them the Championship of the league in only their second season. A fairly uneventful first 44 minutes with neither side creating much in the way of chances. It sprang into life when Frampton keeper James Marklove finger tipped Ben Menear’s header over the bar. In the 50th minute Marklove brought of another great save to deny Menear pushing the ball away for a corner. From the resulting corner Menear gained revenge when he volleyed home to put Boco one up. Boco’s Liam Jenkins had two great chances to increase the lead the first he drove over the bar and the second was well saved by Marklove. Frampton gained a point from the game in the 78th minute when a thunderous shot from Kris Bulley hit the bar and Myron Turner was there to head home the rebound.

An entertaining game at The Coombe Dingle Complex where Rockleaze Rangers took on local rivals Henbury. The visitors got off to a flying start when Aaron Anglin picked up on a long ball and made space to drive the ball across keeper Sam Burgess into the far corner. The game was played at hectic pace with both teams having a share of possession. Henbury’s Scott Thomas might have done better with his shot that went just over the bar. At the other end Ieuan Crowe’s 25 yard shot went straight to Jake Hannam in the Henbury goal. In the 29th minute it looked as though Anglin had got free on goal with just the keeper to beat but a fine tackle from Aaron Day removed the threat. Burgess brought of a great save to deny Reece Purnell in the 31st minute, then a couple of minutes later Burgess rushed off his line to pip Purnell to the ball well outside the box. In the 38th minute Henbury had a great chance to go 2-0 up after Reece Purnell put Kane Simpson clear on goal but he pulled his shot wide. Burgess was certainly the busier of the two keepers as he again brought off a great save to deny Purnell.

Rangers Tom Dailly’s 30 yard shot had Hannam at full stretch to keep the ball out. Burgess came to the rescue again in 56th minute saving from point blank range a Kane Simpson shot the ball eventually running out for a goal kick. Henbury’s persistence paid off in the 74th minute when a tremendous 35 yard shot from Adam Rosser was parried by Burges but Aaron Anglin nipped in to send the rebound into the Rangers net. A minute later Rangers came close when Steve Fitzpatrick’s shot struck the post. Henbury sealed the points in the 85th minute with a superb goal from Adam Rosser. A free kick 35 yards out was rolled to Rosser by Jack Mills Rosser let fly with a thunderous low shot that saw Burgess rooted to the spot as the ball whistled into the Rangers net.

Kingswood have managed the great escape with another home win this time at the expense of Gala Wilton. They took the lead on 19 minutes when Ryan Mudd pulled the ball back for Josh Stokes to drive home. Gala levelled the score on 59 minutes when Martin Smith bundled the ball home. Kingswood’s second on 65 minutes came direct from a Callum McManus corner, but 3 minutes later Gala drew level again with a second goal from Martin Smith. The winner for the home side in the 81st minute came from a long ball pumped up field by keeper Chris Fox, Ryan Mudd challenged the keeper to the ball which he fumbled and Archie Bennett had the simple task of firing into an empty net.

Yate Town Reserves are staging a mini revival following the draw in midweek they gained a valuable point at Ellwood today. The home side went ahead after 5 minutes Gary Wildin heading in from a Matt Jackson corner. Yate replied in the 12th minute when Luke Corbiere also headed home from a corner. The home side retook the lead on 31 minute from a shot by Wildin that was saved by the Yate keeper but Wildin followed up on the rebound to score. On 51 minutes the visitors were level again after Matt Jackson put through his own goal from a Yate free kick. Ten minutes later the visitors went in front from the penalty spot put away by Liam Pullen. The home side grabbed a point in time added at the end Matt Jackson converting from the penalty spot.

Bristol Telephones ran out 3-1 winners over today’s visitors Hardwicke. Hardwicke had the first chance after 10 minutes when the struck the upright. They went in front on 25 minute when Steve Bick cut in from the right went past his marker and hit a crisp shot into the far corner. Billy Downes levelled for the home side on 35 minutes heading home from a long cross into the box. It was 2-1 on 40 minutes when Dhani Golding found the back of the Hardwicke net after a scramble in the box. The home side went 3-1 up on 50 minutes when Dhani Golding’s cross into the box took a deflection and finished up at the feet of Kerion Hunt to force the ball home. Mike Griffiths could have made it four in the 85th minute but was just wide with his effort.

Southmead CS Athletic are really struggling at present and suffered yet another defeat this time at the hands of Broadwell Amateurs. Craig Lewis gave the visitors the lead on 49 minutes. John Kilpatrick put the home side on level terms in the 83rd minute, but three late goals from Broadwell’s Danny Latham gave the visitors a comfortable win. Southmead have three games left to try and get themselves up the table.

16th April 2016 - Thornbury hit five past Cheltenham Civil Service

AEK Boco’s win over Southmead CS Athletic puts them within one more victory to win the title. The chasing pack of Frampton United – Henbury and Thornbury Town all recorded wins today.

At the bottom Kingswood’s revival continues as they win at home to Broadwell Amateurs whilst Cheltenham Civil Service and Southmead CS Athletic both lost and Yate Town Reserves did not play.

Thornbury Town were always in control of their fixture with Cheltenham Civil Service although it was the visitors who were first to have a shot on goal after 2 minutes Gareth Evans just clearing the bar. Thornbury’s Danny Thompson unleashed a tremendous left foot drive from the edge of the box that went just past the post. Town took the lead on 7 minutes when Thompson hit another great shot on target that was well saved by keeper Steve Benbow the ball bouncing back to the edge of the box where it was knocked back in bounced several times before Peter Fowler hooked it into the net. Thornbury should have scored again in the 12th minute when Craig Lancastle sent a low cross into the box from the right and Marcus Wormwell hit a tremendous shot on target but Benbow brought off a terrific save.

Just a minute later Benbow saved the day again when he saved Lancastles point blank shot and Luke Franklin sent the rebound wide. Cheltenham were given a life line in the 18th minute when Stuart Midwinter was fouled in the box and the match official pointed straight to the spot. Midwinter dragged himself of the ground and coolly sent Lippiatt the wrong way. Town went ahead on 29 minutes after Benbow saved Danny Thompsons shot it rebounded to Tom Webb to side foot home. The visitors were not happy and were claiming that Webb was offside but the goal stood.

Some awful defending by the visitors just a minute later saw Marcus Worwell squeeze in behind the defence to make it 3-1. A long punt from Cheltenham’s Dan Mills saw the ball land up in Lippiatts arms. Marcus Wormwell should have made it four on 39 minutes when a cross from the right was hit sweetly on target but that man Benbow was there again.

The visitors might have reduced the arrears on 51 minutes when Gareth Evans great cross found Stuart Midwinter but as he tried to control the ball he stumbled and the chance was gone.

In the 68th minute there was double sending off with Joe Ryder from Cheltenham and Nathan Sage from Thornbury Town being dismissed for violent Conduct. Thornbury increased their lead on73 minutes after Marcus Wormwell was fouled in the box and Craig Lancastle netted the resulting penalty.

On 84 minutes Town got a fifth goal. Joe Guest sent a long ball out wide on the right to Lancastle who in turn sent a low cross into the visitor’s 6 yard box and defender Mikeil Geraud could do nothing but hit the ball into his own net as he rushed towards the goal. The visitors finished the game with nine players when Dan Midwinter received a second yellow card and was dismissed right at the end of the game.

AEK Boco’ 3-2 win over Southmead CS Athletic leaves them needing just a point to seal the Championship.

Southmead got off to a flying start when Oktawian Gala turned in across from the left after 5 minutes. But the home side hit back on 19 minutes when Brad Wheadon headed home from a Liam Powell corner. The home side then went ahead two minutes later when Powell broke through the visitors defence to score. The lead did not last long as Dominic Holvor latched on to a long ball to make it 2-2. The winner came just before the break from Ben Menear’s cross shot that struck the post on its way in. The second half produced very little in the way of scoring chances.

Kingswood let in their hundredth goal of the season but still managed to win the game 4-2 at home to Broadwell Amateurs. This win their fifth in six matches has seen them move on to 20 points after only gaining 1 point from their first 23 games. It certainly looks like the great escape.

Kingswood got off to a flyer when Gary Simmons broke clear to give them the lead on 10 minutes. It took the visitor’s just five minutes to level when Craig Tait’s first shot was well saved by Chris Fox but he followed up to net the rebound. Simmons again put the home side in front another break into the box to make it 2-1 on 20 minutes. The visitors made it 2-2 on 40 minutes when Ryan Wilks headed home from a free kick. Right on half time Kingswood retook the lead when Frank Hitchings hit the ball into the box and Archie Bennett managed to get his knee to the ball and past the visitor’s keeper. The home side looked the better side in the second half and sealed the three points on 70 minutes when a good four man build up was neatly finished off by Callum McManus.

Frampton United gave themselves a good chance to finish in the runners-up position with a good win over close rivals Patchway Town. Frampton’s first chance on goal fell to Kris Bulley but he pulled his shot wide. At the other end Matt Davies hit his shot just over the bar. The home side went ahead on 20 minutes when Matt Cook finished off a great cross into the Patchway box. The second was a little fortunate on 30 minutes a sliced shot from Minola Marquez Espada that finished up in the roof of the net.

Espada netted a second a minute into the second half rounding the keeper before slotting home. Patchway’s Jordan Yeo was unlucky on 54 minutes as his free kick was only just wide of the target. Frampton’s Myron Turner got the ball into the visitors net on 65 minutes but it was disallowed for pushing. Lewis Wilton netted number four for the home side after Espada had set it up with a great pass on 87 minutes. Patchway did manage a consolation goal in the 89th minute with a good finish from Chris Church.

Henbury keep up their challenge with a 3-0 success over Ellwood. Aaron Anglin gave them the lead on 10 minutes heading home from a Jack Mills corner. Henbury made it 2-0 before the break when a long ball up field found Scott Thomas to burst through to score. A second from Aaron Anglin on 75 minutes following a long cross to the far post that was headed back by Cameron Love for Anglin to finish off.

Finally a dress rehearsal for the Les James League Cup Final as Rockleaze Rangers took on Hardwicke at the Coombe Dingle Sports Complex. It turned out to be a win for the visitors who were leading 3-0 until the last minute.

Will Matthews gave the visitors the lead in the 12 minute with a very cool finish. The Steve Bick made it 2-0 on 25 minutes with a shot into the bottom corner. Two minutes into the second half Will Matthews grabbed a second and whilst the home side tried their best they were unable to break through until the 89th minute when Steve Fitzpatrick found the back of the Hardwicke net.

Bishops Cleeve v Bristol Telephones was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch. The weather conditions in the North of the County was much worse than the South heavy rain and they even had some snow this morning.

9TH April 2016 - Kingswood snatch late draw

Broadwell Amateurs win over AEK Boco’s was their third defeat of the season.

Henbury have games in hand over second place Frampton United and closed the gap with a big win at Yate Town Reserves. At the bottom Kingswood and Yate Reserves are now level on points but Yate Town Res have a better goal difference.

Kingswood v Bishops Cleeve Reserves was our destination today. With Kingswood winning the last four games and closing the gap to just one point, if they could win at home to Bishops Cleeve Reserves then and Yate Town Res lost then they would be off the bottom for the first time this season.

The game was very entertaining with lots of half chances and scoring chances created throughout the ninety minutes. Kingswood opened the strongest and forced three corners in the first few minutes of the game. But it was the visitors who should have took the lead on 8 minutes when Martin Thomes was put clear on goal but with just keeper Blackwell to beat he pulled his shot wide. Frank Hitchings dispossessed Ben Robinson to force another corner for Kingswood on 11 minutes but it was cleared. Kingswood’s Simon Clark went close in the 20th minute with a 30 yard shot that only just cleared the bar. Cleeve went ahead on 29 minutes after a corner was bobbing about in the box and Martin Thomes eventually headed home. Kingswood were level 3 minutes later when a long ball down the right found Ryan Mudd to square the ball back for Frank Hitchings to drive the ball into the roof of the net from the edge of the box. Giles Elliott should have made it 2-1 to Cleeve on 41 minutes but with a clear header on goal he put it over the bar.

Kingswood started the second half well and Ryan Mudd was unlucky when he struck the upright in the very 1st minute. Frank Hitchings had a good chance to put the home side in front in the 49th minute but over ran the ball and Cleeve keeper Eric Edge snatched the ball off of his toe. Then came a mad two minute with three goals being scored. The first on 52 minutes came from a harmless free kick wide on the right that was hit into the box and somehow Kingswood defender Joe Blakeney hit the ball into his own net. A minute later Kingswood drew level again Simon Clark’s shot hitting the post and the ball spinning into the net from a goalmouth scramble. Cleeve went straight up the other end and a ball into the box fell nicely for Martin Thomes to drive home. Hitchings was moved back to central defence when Grant Brown had to be replaced and his brilliant tackle on Tomes almost certainly prevented Cleeve from going further ahead. In the 65th minute Kingswood should have levelled when a long ball found Ryan Muud in the box he made space to shoot and then hit it straight at Edge from 10 yards. Cleeves James Pickup laid on a great ball for Scott Andrews but his shot just cleared the bar. Blackwell brought off a great save to deny Chris Parsons on 71 minutes. Blackwell was in action again in the 83rd minute making another good save to deny James Pickup. With time running out and the game into the third minute of time added Kingswood made it all square after the ball ran out to Archie Bennett who drove the ball past Edge from just inside the box. A fair result in an action packed match.

Cheltenham Civil Service looked to make a quick start when they were awarded a penalty after 5 minutes. However Dan Midwinter stepped up and pulled his penalty wide of the right hand post. After 30 minutes Rockleaze went down the left and whipped a ball across into the six yard box and was turned into his own net by Joe Ryder sliding in to clear. Shortly after Service equalised when a free kick from Jamie Lock found Paul Ireland at the back post who out jumped the goalkeeper the head home. Just before half time, the tempo dropped and Rockleaze got the ball down the right hand side with a cross coming in for Ieuan Crowe to score with an easy tap in from close range. After 55 minutes a cross from Jamie Lock wasn't cleared after two attempts and Stuart Midwinter side footed in the second equaliser. Ten minutes later a great save from Steve Benbow kept Civil Service level, but 5 minutes later Rockleaze were awarded a contentious penalty for a trip by Joe Mahon, which was easily converted by Steve Fitzpatrick for the winner.

  • Cheltenham Civil Service V Rockleaze Rangers, Courtesy Peter Langley

  • Cheltenham Civil Service V Rockleaze Rangers, Courtesy Peter Langley

  • Cheltenham Civil Service V Rockleaze Rangers, Courtesy Peter Langley

  • Cheltenham Civil Service V Rockleaze Rangers, Courtesy Peter Langley

  • Cheltenham Civil Service V Rockleaze Rangers, Courtesy Peter Langley

Broadwell Amateurs did extremely well to win this match against league leaders AEK Boco. Their performance was described as outstanding. It was the visitors who looked the better side for the first 15 minutes with Jason Thatcher sending over free kicks that Brister and Reeves got their heads to but failed to get them on target. The home side settled down and went ahead on 19 minutes when Christian Burnard headed on for Ryan Wilks to run through and lob the ball over keeper Joe Pople. Alex Browns long throws caused the visitors a few problems throughout the game. Broadwell brought on Dave Bird and Derek Roberts and this eventually had an impact when Birds pinpoint cross from a free kick found Joe Clarke at the far post to head home in the 89th minute. An excellent result and a very sound defensive display by the home side.

Patchway Town’s game at Scott Park against Hardwicke failed to get started until the second half. Neither side found the back of the net in the first 45 minutes. Hardwicke took the lead on 58 minutes from a cross to the far post where Will Matthews rose above everyone else to head home. Patchway should have levelled on 70 minutes when Hardwicke keeper Jermaine Hunt brought down Matt Tovey in the box. Tovey took the spot kick himself but keeper Hunt brought off a great save. Just 4 minutes later Tovey made up for the miss when he headed home a Jordan Yeo free kick. The winner in the 80th minute also came from a set piece and it was Jordan Yeo again whose free kick was finished off by Phil Vice.

Henbury showed no mercy as they hammered five into the Yate Town Reserves net without reply. A hattrick for Aaron Anglin on the day. Anglin got the visitors off to a fine start on 15 minutes when he hooked a left footed volley into the Yate net. Anglin was allowed to turn in the box on 35 minutes for his second and then Scott Thomas made it 3-0 when he headed in from a corner. The forth Henbury goal on 80 minutes came from Reece Purnell who ghosted in to score from close range. In the very last minute Anglin completed his hattrick to make the final score 5-0.

Southmead CS Athletic slipped up at home to Gala Wilton going down 2-1. The home side who had plenty of possession took the lead on 34 minutes when Dale Polson shrugged of several defenders to drive the ball into to Gala net. Within 2 minutes Gala drew level as Ben Hand drove a low shot into the bottom corner. With the home side pushing up for the winner they got caught on the break with Adam Hemming netting the winner for the visitors.

Thornbury Town’s home game with Hanham Athletic produced very few goal scoring opportunities and the visitor’s tactics stifled the home side free flowing passing game. Luke Franklin wriggled his way through on goal on 20 minutes but then saw his shot saved by the visitor’s keeper. Hanham were disappointed when they had what they thought was a clear cut penalty turned down just before half time. With nothing much really happening the game change on 85 minutes when Hanham had Connor Britton sent off for a bad tackle. Town won this game in time added after 90 minute from a low cross from Marcus Wormwell to the far post where Nathan Irwin turned the ball home.

2nd April 2016 - Civil Service edge out Hardwicke

A very sunny afternoon produced some big scores today. AEK Boco win at Gala Wilton and Henbury gain ground with a win over Broadwell Amateurs. Frampton lost at Thornbury Town. Three of the bottom four teams all won giving them some hope in avoiding relegation. Only Yate Town Res did not pick up any points.

The game at Tewksbury Road between Cheltenham Civil Service and Hardwicke was an early kick off 2pm. It turned out to be a very good game to watch with both sides playing their part in attacking football. The home side got off to a cracking start when Dan Midwinter drove the ball past keeper Jeremy Hunt from the edge of the box. Will Matthews was unlucky a few minutes later when he drove his shot into the side netting of the Cheltenham goal. Dan Midwinter had a great chance to put the home side two up in the 6th minute but failed to get the ball past hunt as he closed him down. A corner from the right for the home side on 8 minutes should have resulted in a second goal as Dan Wills had a clear head on goal but put it over the top from 6 yards. The home side continued to create chances and Dan Midwinter will be kicking himself for not scoring from a low cross into the 6 yard box that he completely mistimed the ball spinning away with just Hunt to beat. On 22 minutes Hardwicke were level when a long punt up field beat the home defence and Craig Harris nipped in to slide the bal past Steve Benbow. Wills had another chance on 33 minutes but pulled his shot wide. At the other end Will Matthews shot from 25 yards just dipped over the bar. Tobie Webb might have done better after Craig Harris had centred for a clear header on goal but he hit it straight at Benbow. Right on half time a Dan Midwinter cross was missed by Matt Vickers right in front of goal.

Cheltenham continued to press and Vickers shot into the side netting and a Dan Midwinter in-swing corner from the right almost caught Hunt out but he managed to push the ball around the post. Cheltenham went ahead in 57th minute with a superb strike from Stuart Midwinter the ball had been sent across field by Matt Vickers picking out Dan Midwinter wide on the left he touched the ball inside to Stuart who then hit a superb 25 yard shot into the far corner. Hardwicke had a great chance to level on 65 minutes when Craig Harris crossed from the left to the far post where Steve Bick was lurking but some how he hit the ball over the bar from 6 yards. Steve Benbow brought off a tremendous save on 69 minute keeping out a thunderous shot from Steve Bick. In the 84th minute Dan Midwinter turned from hero to villain when he gave away a penalty to Hardwicke. Tobie Webb scored from the spot but Benbow almost got to it. Cheltenham’s new signing Ben Maguire was introduced as a substitute and had not been on the field long before he hit a tremendous 30 yard drive over Hunt to make it 3-2 to Cheltenham.

Rockleaze Rangers Steve Fitzpatrick netted a hat-trick on their way to a 5-2 victory over Yate town Reserves. But it was Yate who took the lead on 37 minutes when a mistake by Greg Parr allowed Keelan Mastouras to fire past Burgess. Rangers got on level terms and that came from the penalty spot after James Kenway up ended Steve Fitzpatrick. Fitzpatrick took the penalty himself and made no mistake. Fitzpatrick netted his second on 51 minutes when Marcus Williams set up Fitzpatrick with a one -on – one situation. He completed his hat-trick on 57 minutes with a shot from a tight angle following a corner. Yate pulled a goal back in the 70th minute when Joe Guest beat Burges to the ball and slipped the ball into the net. Two minutes later Rangers scored again this time it was brother James Fitzpatrick on target with a 20 yard volley into the far corner. Greg Parr whose earlier mistake had cost his team a goal made up for it in the last minute of the game when he tapped home from 6 yards to score his very first goal for Rangers.

Thornbury Town entertained Frampton United the team that they had played the week before and drew 0-0. In a very tight game where defences dominated there were very few chances created. It went all the way to the 86th minute before the deadlock was broken and that came from A Danny Haines cross from the left which was volleyed on to Craig Lancastle by Dan Rees and the striker sent the ball home. Just two minutes later Lancastle netted again to send the visitors away pointless.

  • Cheltenham Civil Service V Hardwicke, Courtesy Peter Langley

  • Cheltenham Civil Service V Hardwicke, Courtesy Peter Langley

  • Cheltenham Civil Service V Hardwicke, Courtesy Peter Langley

  • Cheltenham Civil Service V Hardwicke, Courtesy Peter Langley

Henbury got back to winning way with a 3-1 victory over Broadwell Amateurs. The home side had a great start to the game when Adam Rosser was upended in the box after 2 minutes and Aaron Anglin netted from the spot. A second goal for the home side on 15 minutes was a an absolute screamer from Ross Johnson from 25 yards. Broadwell got back in the game when Mike Etheridge scrambled the ball home. Then in the 75th minute Henbury sealed the points when Aaron Anglin netted his second from 20 yards.

Ellwood are seething after throwing away 3-0 half-time lead over Kingswood and then went down 4-3 at the end. The home side went in front after 5 minutes from a cross to the far post where it was laid back for Byron Ranford to drive home. Ellwood were 2-0 up after 12 minutes when they were awarded a penalty for pushing. Richard Kear scored from the spot. On 19 minutes the home side had a 3-0 lead when Jamie Addis broke down the flank squared the ball back for Byron Ranford to net his second. Kingswood were a different side in the second half and pulled a goal back on 60 minutes with Ryan Mudd strike. Archie Bennett’s shot from just outside the box took a deflection to make it 3-2 and in the 89th minute Archie Bennett struck again to level the score. Tom Higgins missed a penalty for Kingswood in the 90th minute firing over the bar, but they got the winner in time added Simon Clark getting that all important goal.

Southmead CS Athletic gained a valuable 3 points with a 5-3 win over Bishops Cleeve Reserves. Rob Sivers had returned to the Club and his hat-trick in the first 13 minutes had a lot to do with the final result. Sivers opened the scoring with a shot that was blocked by a defender then head back to Sivers to drive home. His second came from a Korey Pring shot that he deflected into the Cleeve net. He completed his hat-trick on 13 minutes when he lifted the ball over two defender before firing into the bottom corner. Cleeve got a goal back on 15 minute from a James Pickup strike. Then came the goal of the game when Carl Drury picked up the ball in his own 18 yard box strove forward flicked the ball over two defenders before driving his shot past the keeper. Dale Polson made it 5-1 right on half time when broke through to score from 18 yards. Elliott Pulley pulled another back for the visitors, and in the very last minute James Pickup scored from the penalty spot to make it 5-3.

Patchway Town were well beaten at home to Bristol Telephones. No goals in the first 45 minutes but Phones took the lead on 48 minutes when Patchway keeper Dan Obrien brought down Dhani Golding for a penalty, Ryan Hicks netted the resulting spot kick. Golding made it 2-0 on 72 minutes after Obrien had saved the initial shot on goal the ball running nicely for Golding to slot home. In the 75th minute a free kick across the box was missed by everyone and Mike Alvis was on the far post to head home. Raphael Waugh netted a consolation for the home side on 80 minutes rounding several defenders and the keeper.

AEK Boco march on with another win at Gala Wilton. Little to talk about in the first 45 minutes as it ended goalless. Boco took the lead in the 47th minute from a quick free kick taken by Liam Powell catching the home defence static and Liam Jenkins slotted the ball home. Jordan Scott then headed on for Brad Wheatdon to score the second on 73 minutes and then Scott headed in the third on 80 minutes. Alex Pritchard got a consolation for the home side five minutes from the end.

28th March 2016 - Bristol Telephones stun leaders

The terrible weather condition through the night took its toal on today fixtures wiping out five of the seven scheduled.

Just AEK Boco v Bristol Telephones and Frampton United v Thornbury Town went ahead.

AEK Boco were defeated for only the second time this season as they went down 3-0 at home to Bristol Telephones. The sides met just a couple of weeks ago at Telephones ground and AEK Boco won that game 1-0. The first 20 minutes were even with both sides settling down. Phones almost grabbed the lead on 20 minutes when Dhani Golding hit the post in a goalmouth scramble. They did however make up for that miss just a minute later when Aaron McQuaid stabbed the ball home through a cluster of players. Jordan Scott went close to an equalising goal in the 33rd minute but his header just cleared the bar. Five minutes before the break Phones went 2-0 up when Mike Alvis ran on to a through ball to give keeper Joe Pople no chance. Five minutes into the second half Phones virtually sewed the game up with a second goal from Alvis a superb 30 yard volley.

The game at Frampton ended goalless but there were chances for both sides to have won this game. The old Cliché a game of two halves was certainly the case today. Thornbury Town had much the better of the first 45 minutes and played some nice passing football whilst Frampton relied a lot on the long ball. The first shot at goal came from Craig Lancastle on 3 minutes but it was wide of the target. The home side had a great chance to take the lead on 10 minutes when a ball into the box from the right was met by the unmarked Matt Cook but from twelve yards he blasted his shot way over the bar. Thornbury’s first corner after 13 minutes was knocked into the box by Luke Franklin and just beat Nathan Irwin as he scrambled to the far post. Town might have done better on 24 minutes when a long ball was hit into the box from the right and it found Craig Lancastle on the far post to lay it back for Mark Viner to shoot from just inside the box but a timely intervention squashed that attack. Thornbury had a free kick just outside the box on the left and Luke Franklin curled the ball goal-wards but it went just the wrong side of the post. Myron Turner picked up the ball on the left side of the box for Frampton laid it back for Nathan Dennis to lift it towards the far post where Joe Wilton was lurking but it was just to far in front of him and went out for a goal kick. Franklin hit a 30 yard shot that went just wide and several minutes later he hit another straight at Marklove in the home goal.

Frampton brought on Stuart Maule straight away for the second half with the Player Manager Lee Driver Dickerson going off. Frampton looked more like they meant business and Steve Jackson went close in the 52nd minute. A few minutes later Thornbury keeper Alex Lippiatt had to palm the ball away from another effort by Jackson. Frazer Wilson broke into the box from the right but then shot wide of the target. At the other end Luke Franklin’s shot went well wide of the goal. Frampton thought they had scored in the 71st minute after Steve Jacksons tremendous free kick rattled the crossbar and was headed home by Joe Wilton but it was ruled out for pushing. Jackson was on target again from a corner from the right but his headed attempt went straight to Lippiatt. Nathan Irwin had one of Thornbury’s rare chances in the second half but shot straight at Marklove. The last chance of the game to break the deadlock in the 88th minute fell to Steve Jackson when he headed wide of the goal from 6 yards from a free kick. They meet again at Thornbury on Saturday 2nd April.