league logo

MARCLIFF Gloucestershire County Football League

sponsor logo

Ron's Match Reports

29th August 2016 - Rockleaze Rangers win at Bristol Telephones

Stonehouse Town are the new leaders after their win at home to Kingswood. Bristol Telephones tasted defeat at home to Rockleaze Rangers. The table remains the same at the bottom.

A very entertaining game at the BTRA Sports Ground at Stockwood where Rockleaze Rangers were the visitors. Rangers had visited Telephones only two weeks previous in the Les James League Cup and came away with a heavy 6-2 defeat. This was a chance to get their own back and try and get one over on the league leaders. They did just that thanks to a Kane Simpson hat-trick and a goal from James Fitzpatrick. Rangers got off to a very good start and forced several corners in the first few minutes and it was from one of these corners that they took the lead. The corner was not cleared well by the home defence and the loose ball went to Kane Simpson who lifted it into the box and James Fitzpatrick swept it past Will Osborne. Rangers looked dangerous every time they attacked and Phones were not able to get their game together. Both Dan Webb and Kane Simpson got shots on target but Osborne was there to save. The home sides first effort on goal came after 20 minutes from a free kick given away right on the edge of the box. Dhani Golding who is usually very good from this distance struck his shot straight at Burgess. Rangers took a 2-0 lead on 22 minutes this time the rolls were reversed and James Fitzpatrick pin point cross over the home defence found Kane Simpson there to slide the ball past Osborne. Billy Downes found Dhani Golding free on the edge of the box but the striker hit his shot way over the bar. A break down the left on 38 minutes almost brought a goal for Phones as the ball in took a deflection straight on to Golding’s head but he steered it wide. Phones were unlucky right on half time when Goldings shot was cleared off the line by Rangers. The half time team talk by Phones manager certainly did something as they pulled a goal back within 2 minutes of the restart. Rangers gave away a penalty and Ryan Hicks blasted his shot home. A minute later Sam Burgess almost gave away another chance as he rushed of his line to tackle Golding outside the box but luckily after some desperate attempts to clear Rangers did eventually get it up field.

Rangers had been under the cosh for the first 8 minutes of the second half so a break to the other end found Kane Simpson but he shot straight at Osborne. In the 54th minute the home side were level, a free kick found Golding his shot was parried by Burgess but it fell nicely to Sam Sarre to drive home. The home side were now pushing hard and a ball lifted into the box on 63 minutes bounce really high and Dhani Golding turned it into a spectacular overhead kick to put the home side in front. The lead lasted just two minutes as a ball pumped down the left flank was headed over the home defence and Kane Simpson picked up the ball rounded Osborne to slide the ball home 3-3. Rangers gradually picked their game up and took the lead on 77 minutes from a Dan Webb cross from the left that saw Kane Simpson rise above the home defence to head past Osborne. In time added at the end of 90 minutes Osborne raced out of his box to tackle Kane Simpson as he headed for goal trying to get his forth of the afternoon.

Stonehouse Town have taken over top spot with a 4-0 win over Kingswood. a large crowd of 154 came to watch this game. The home side went 2-0 up within 7 minutes. The first goal after 3 minutes came from an Alex Kibble free kick right on the edge of the box. The second from Kibble came from the penalty spot on 7 minutes after Jamie Martin had been felled in the box. Joe Martin then made it 3-0 on 20 minutes after he latched onto a through ball from Jonny Brodie. Joe Martin netted his second of the afternoon on 70 minutes after being set up by Brother Jamie Martin.

Broadwell Amateurs recorded a second win over this bank Holiday weekend with 3-1 victory over Henbury. It was the visitors who almost took the lead on 12 minutes when Reece Purnell’s shot came back of the upright. On 20 minutes Broadwell went in front when Jordan Sheen headed in Ben Fishwick’s cross. The visitors levelled the score on 38 minutes when Reece Purnells 30 yard drive found the bottom corner. The home side retook the lead on 70 minutes and again it cam from a Ben Fishwick cross this time headed home by Ross Gabriel. Broadwell made sure of the win on 80 minutes when Ollie Fitt volleyed home from 35 yards. Henbury’s day got even worse when Scott Thomas suffered a bad head injury.

Hanham Athletic could not follow up their win on Saturday as they went down 3-1 at home to Frampton United. Both teams were guilty of wayward shots early on but in the 20th minute Joe Wilton put the visitor’s one up. In the 50th minute Frampton increased their lead as a shot that hit the crossbar was headed home by Matt Cook. In the 70th minute Frampton were 3-0 to the good when Jack Phillips hit the top corner. The home side did eventually got on the score sheet when Dan Wingfield pulled a goal back, but it was to late.

AEK Boco are finding the going tough this season and have only recorded one win after four games. They suffered another defeat today this time at the hands of Hardwicke. The visitors went ahead on 3 minutes from a free kick well struck by Mark Carter. It was 2-0 on ten minutes after the home keeper parried Mark Carters shot which fell to home defender Craig Sperring, but he was disposed by Will Matthews who drove the ball home. Jordan Scott then disposed a Hardwicke defender on 20 minutes to pull a goal back for the home side. Then in the 65th minute a Tobi Webb cross was well met by Matthews to head home from 6 yards.

Little Stoke have still to find the back of the net as they went down 2-0 at home to Cheltenham Civil Service. They fell behind on 4 minutes when Sam Mason went through with a one on one situation to score. Dan Avery turned in the box on 12 minutes to make it 2-0. The home side are finding things a little difficult at this level and thing got even worse when they had a player dismissed on 55 minutes.

Thornbury Town gained a narrow 1-0 win over today’s visitors Gala Wilton. The first 30 minutes both sides gave it their all and in the 33rd minute dividends paid off for the home side when Luke Franklin squared the ball to Danny Thompson whose shot from the edge of the box hit the back of the net. The home side had a great chance to increase their lead on 44 minutes when Luke Franklins shot hit the post bounced to Toby Bennett but he put the ball over the bar. Gala offered very little in the form of shots but a Jacob Elmore effort almost caught Lippiatt out. The visitors did themselves no favours when Dave Wilkinson was sent off for a bad tackle on 65 minutes. With nothing much materialising for the rest of the game it was annoying when Luke Franklin got sent off for a second yellow card.

Lebeq United took on Southmead CS Athletic for a second time in two weeks but this time it was a league encounter. As it turned out it finished with exactly the same result with the home side running out 2-1 winners. Southmead had the first chance in the 22nd minute but William Obeng managed to block Rob Sivers powerful drive. Cory Wilson’s 30 yard drive put the home side one up on 25 minutes. Southmead’s Chris Williams missed a guilt edge chance to level from a Rob Sivers cross on 35 minutes. In the 48th minute keeper Danny Cook saved well from Clinton Wilson. The home side had a great chance to increase their lead on 51 minutes from the penalty spot but Cook saved from Ben Youssef and then saved again as he followed up. Home keeper Amin Jones saved well from Sivers in the 65th minute. A second goal on 71 minutes a cracking left foot drive from Clinton Wilson gave the home side a two goal cushion. Southmead then went down to ten men when Gary Booth was shown a red card. A goalmouth scramble in the 81st minute gave Terry Caswell the opportunity to pull a goal back for Southmead, but they were unable to find another to gain a point from the game.

Goals galore at Bishops Cleeve as the home side eventually won the game 6-5. Cleeve went ahead on 5 minutes from a ball over the defence that Mike Davis volleyed home. Davis then made it 2-0 on 12 minutes with another crisp shot. Jamie Hammond put the home side 3-0 up on 30 minutes before Patchway’s Luke Garbacz scored their first from a long throw a minute before the break. Elliot Pulley shot across the Patchway keeper to make it 4-1 3 minutes into the second half and on 60 minutes Matt Davies netted their second. Rob Reid found himself in a one on one situation to increase the lead for Cleeve before Patchway hit back again with their third from Liam Planter. Will Pugh volleyed home at the far post to make it 6-3 and then came two late goals from the visitors Luke Garbacz netting his second and then Matt Davies getting on the score sheet for his second of the afternoon.

27th August 2016 - Little Stoke and Frampton share points

Bristol Telephones top the table with three wins out of three, with newcomers Stonehouse Town just behind and last seasons strugglers Kingswood in third place.

At the bottom Southmead CS Athletic prop up the table with Little Stoke just one place above.

Little Stoke have played 180 minutes of football in the County League so far but have yet to find the back of the net. They drew 0-0 in the week and again today at home to Frampton United. They were unable to penetrate the visitors defence but held firm at the back keeping the Frampton forwards at bay with some good goalkeeping by Luke Langson. The visitors looked more likely to break the deadlock but if the defence were beaten then Langson was there to tidy up. The home side conceded several free kicks in dangerous positions but the visitors were unable to capitalise. There was plenty of effort from both teams but the finishing was either straight to the keepers of wide of the target. Myron Turner had a great chance to put Frampton ahead on 62 minutes but shot wide of the target. Langson then made a good save to deny Joe Wilton and on 80 minutes a long free kick from Frampton’s Nathan Dennis to the far post found substitute Lee Dyer on the far post but he headed over the bar. Joe Wilton broke clear on 87 minutes but his shot was deflected away for a corner by Langson. Right at the death Langson brought of another good save this time to deny Jack Phillips.

Bristol Telephone continued their good start to the season with a 4-1 win at home to Cheltenham Civil Service. The home side took control right from the off and Ryan Hicks steered the ball home in the 1st minute. The visitors levelled the score on 20 minutes when Leigh Rayson headed home at the far post from a corner. Just before the break the home side went ahead from a 35 yard free kick from Dhani Golding. Telephones took a 3-1 lead on 60 minutes when Ryan Webber turned in a Ben Griffiths pass. Just 3 minutes later a long ball out of defence was picked up by Ben Griffiths to cut in and fire the ball home.

Newcomers to the league Stonehouse Town went away with the 3 points in a close encounter at Thornbury Town. The visitors opened the scoring on 37 minutes from an Alex Kibble free kick on the edge of the box that he curled into the bottom corner. 2 minutes later Thornbury were level when Craig Lancastle made space for himself to pass the ball into the far corner. A Tom Webb pass on 52 minutes gave Lancastle the opportunity to create some space and coolly slot the ball past Will Pedrick. The visitors hit back on 65 minutes when Joe Martin found the back of the net from a free kick just on the edge of the box. Stonehouse grabbed the winner in the 82nd minute from a Tim Williams header on the near post.

Southmead are still struggling as they went down 4-1 at home to Kingswood. Kingswood took the lead on 15 minutes when Josh Stokes volleyed home from a long cross into the box. Ryan Mudd then made it 2-0 on 35 minutes. Adam Eldridge converted a penalty for Kingswood on 55 minutes and then in the 70th minute Chris Williams pulled a goal back for the home side. With 10 minutes to go Connor Davis drove a low shot into the Southmead net to make the final score 4-1.

A single goal on 55 minutes a hopeful cross from Ryan Crewe that deceived the Patchway keeper gave Hanham Athletic their first points of the season.

AEK Boco got their first win of the season with a 3-1 score-line at home to Gala Wilton. The home side went in front on 42 minutes when Jordan Scott sent Paul Coles away down the flank and then got on the end of the cross to head home. Paul Coles then made it 2-0 with a volley from just inside the box. A goalmouth scramble in the 75th minute allowed Charlie Stevens to score from 12 yards to make it 3-0. Craig Howell netted a consolation goal for the visitors on 89 minutes when he lobbed the keeper from 20 yards following a long clearance out of defence.

Rockleaze Rangers recorded their first win of the season with a 2-1 win over Hardwicke. A jinking run by Marcus Williams from the halfway line saw a tremendous finish with a shot form 22 yards that gave the visitors keeper Jermaine Hunt absolutely no chance. Steve Fitzpatrick then set up Brother James to score a second for the home side on 52 minutes. Hardwicke hit back on 56 minutes from a Ben Davis header from a corner. There were several other chances for Hardwicke but keeper Sam Burgess kept them at bay.

Henbury v Lebeq United was a game of two halves. The first 45 minutes belonged to the home side but missed chances cost them dearly in the end. Aaron Anglin put the home side one up on 5 minutes when he tapped home from close range after the visitor’s keeper Amin Jones dropped the ball. Caelen Simpson was brought down in the box and Aaron Anglin lined up to take the spot kick. He was too impetuous and took the penalty before the referee had blown the whistle so it had to be taken again. The second shot was well read buy Jones who pushed the ball away for a corner. Simpson broke clear of the visitors defence on 28 minutes and with just the keeper to beat he shot wide. Aaron Anglin then missed a gilt edged chance on 35 minutes. In the second half it was a different story as Lebeq equalised through Sheldon Sawyer, then Dominic Holver gave them the lead on 75 minutes. 5 minutes later Mondher Ben Youssef made it 3-1 and in the 85th minute Holver netted his second when he broke clear and lobbed the keeper. Henbury did hit the post in the dying seconds.

A good 2-1 win over Bishops Cleeve Reserves by Broadwell Amateurs although the visitors were in charge for the first 12 minutes of this game. Home keeper Jamie Merry brought off a great save to deny Jamie Hammond. Sam Keitch’s shot was well saved by Benbow on 20 minutes the home side’s first effort on goal. On 38 minutes good movement between Jamie Powell and Ollie Fitt set up Ross Gabriel to hammer the ball past Benbow for a 1-0 lead. Gabriel made it 2-0 on 47 minutes when he latched onto a pass from Lee Hanson to drive the ball into the top corner. Substitutions were made by the home side around the hour mark and Cleeve lifted their game and pulled a goal back on 65 minutes from a cross from the right turned in by Mike Davis. The visitors pushed hard for the equaliser but the home defence held strong throughout the 12 minutes of time added.

20th August 2016 - Kingswood take points against Broadwell

After just 2 games completed in the league Bristol Telephones lead the table with two wins. Last seasons bottom Club Southmead CS Athletic find them selves in the same position after 2 fixtures completed.

Kingswood gained their first points of the season with a 2-1 win at home to Broadwell Amateurs, but it will be the visitors who will be kicking themselves tonight after missing easy chances early on. After 5 minutes Broadwells Ollie Fitt found himself clear on goal and just 8 yards out but fired his shot to close to keeper Chris Fox giving him the opportunity to stick out a leg and ball flew over the bar. Kingswood’s first attempt on goal came from a Simon Clark free kick on the edge of the box that went over the bar. Ryan Mudd broke into the box and got to the six yard box only to see his shot deflected away for a corner. The home side went ahead on 13 minutes after they were given a free kick on the edge of the box just to the left of centre. Simon Clark picked his spot and neatly curled the ball into the bottom corner out of the reach of keeper Jamie Merry. On 24 minutes Ollie Fitt levelled when he was put clear on goal then proceeded to fire his shot past Fox inside the far post. A few minutes later Fitt was again put clear on goal but this time his shot went just wide of the far post. Jamie Evans managed to wriggle in to a goalscoring position on 40 minutes but Broadwell’s central defender just managed to slip the ball off his toe. A couple of minutes before the break Broadwell’s Jordi Sheen saw his rasping shot just skim past the upright.

Little happened in the early stages of the second half with both teams cancelling each other out then in the 65th minute Ross Gabriel could have given the visitors the lead but headed wide of the target. The home side got a break in the 69th minute when Jamie Evans was brought down just inside the box as he cut in - giving them the opportunity to go into the lead from the penalty spot. Simon Clark took the kick and gave Merry no chance netting his second of the day. The home side had several more long range shots that were all on target but were never going to beat Merry in the visitor’s goal.

Henbury ran riot against local rivals Southmead CS Athletic netting eight goals and only conceding one in reply. There was a hattrick for Jack Mills including two penalties and a double from last seasons leading goalscorer Aaron Anglin. Southmesd actually went ahead on 3 minutes after the home keeper brought down a Southmead forward in the box and Liam Alexander gave then the lead from the penalty spot. It was all down hill for the visitors after that with Henbury levelling the score on 5 minutes when Scott Thomas headed home an Adam Rosser free kick. Jack Mills then gave the home side the lead on 13 minutes from the penalty spot after Anglin had been felled in the box. On 20 minutes Anglin got on the score sheet tapping in from close range after Rob Wilks saw his shot saved by the keeper. Anglin then netted his second on 31 minutes with a crisp shot from the edge of the box and 3 minutes to half time Adam Rosser netted from 20 yards. On 62 minutes Anglin was upended again in the box and Jack Mills scored from the spot for his second. Caelan Simpson then rounded the keeper on 82 minutes to make it seven and on 86 minutes Adam Rosser squared the ball back for Jack Mills to complete his hattrick.

Gala Wilton recorded their first points of the season with a win over Hanham Athletic. Kyle Bakewell gave the home side the lead on 28 minutes with a close range tap in. A second goal from Craig Howell on 65 minutes a 25 yard free kick gave them a 2-0 lead. The visitors hit back on 75 minutes when Callum Baker made it 2-1 and a close finish to the end.

Stonehouse Town and Bishops Cleeve Reserves shared the points in 2-2 draw at Oldends Road. The home side were much the better side in the first 45 minutes and took a 2-0 lead courtesy of Liam Gale by the break. The opening goal after 12 minutes was similar to the one he scored against Henbury on the opening day of the season only this time he was just inside the visitors half when he caught the Cleeve keeper off his line and his shot sailed over his head into the net. The second on 23 minutes Gale cut in from the flank and coolly chipped the ball over the keeper from 25 yards. The second half was a different story and the visitors hit back on 57 minutes with a brilliant piece of individual skill from Jamie Hammond drifting past four home defenders before planting the ball in the back of the net. Just 2 minutes later they were level again an individual effort from Elliott Pulley who went one better and rounded several more home players before driving the ball home.

Frampton United also got off the mark with their first points of the season with a 2-1 win over last seasons champions AEK Boco. Frampton’s Jake Ward had his shot cleared off the line on 10 minutes then in the 28th minute Steve Jackson found Myron Turner to run through and give the home side the lead. Joe Wilton had his goal bound effort tipped over the bar on 39 minutes and just a minute later Boco’s Liam Jenkins was only just wide of the target. Boco were unlucky on 47 minutes when Jordan Scott struck the upright. The visitors levelled the score on 51 minutes with a powerful header form Paul Coles. Frampton won the game on 80 minutes when Myron Turner was pulled back by Sperring who was shown a red card. From the resulting free kick Frazer Wilson found the back of the Boco net to take the 3 points.

Lebeq United suffered a second defeat in the league this time at the hands of Bristol Telephones. Dominic Holver almost gave the home side the lead on 16 minutes but his effort went just wide. Ashton Squire put the home side in front on 23 minutes then on the half hour mark Ashton Squire squared the ball back for Clinton Wilson but his shot was just wide of the post. On 33 minutes the visitors went ahead through Mike Alvis with what was described as a soft goal. Wilson had a great shot well saved by the visitor’s keeper on 38 minutes. Ibrahima Sarr broke clear for the home side but Osborne brought off a great save. Telephones Dhani Golding then made it 2-1 from 25 yards. Kyran Hunt gave the visitors a 3-1 lead on 63 minutes after a dreadful mistake by the home defence - then Ryan Webber netted a fourth for the visitors when he ran clear of the home defence.

Hardwicke v Little Stoke was abandoned on 81 minutes after a clash between a little Stoke forward and the home keeper ended with the keeper in terrible pain around his chest. The incident arose from a mistimed header from Will Higgins, the home keeper Kenny Edwards coming for the loose ball and that is how the collision took place. This game had 0-0 written all over it as both side failed to create any real chances throughout the game.

13th August 2016 - Lebeq through in Les James Cup - sponsored by Boca Teamwear

The second week of the season was set aside for the staging of the Preliminary and First round ties of the Les James League Cup Competition Sponsored by Boca Teamwear .

Our visit today took us to Oakland’s Park for the early kick-off 1.00pm Lebeq United v Southmead CS Athletic.

Lebeq took an early lead after 4 minutes from shot that was blocked by the visitors defence but the rebound fell nicely to Dominic Holver who from just inside the box on the left drove the ball past keeper Dan Cook. The home side should have made it 2-0 on 10 minutes but a great save from Cook deflecting Clinton Wilsons powerful drive away to be cleared up field. Southmead might have levelled on 14 minutes when Dan Warren fired the ball across goal but nobody was able to get on the end of it. A couple of minutes later Holver squared the ball back across goal for Fernando Dias but Cook was there again to deny a goal pushing the ball out for a corner. Southmead will be kicking themselves for not levelling the score on 31 minutes as Rob Sivers split the home defence with a slide rule pass to Josh Gubb but with a clear shot on goal he proceeded to push the ball wide of the target. Gubb had another good chance on 37 minute but this time he hit the ball straight at keeper Amin Jones.

The home side started the better in the second half but failed to increase their lead, then on 62 minutes Southmead levelled the score. A crisp shot sent into the box was pushed away by keeper Jones but Luke Coghlan was on hand to send his diving header into the net. The danger for the visitors was Dominic Holver who whenever given the ball within 30 yards of the goal looked dangerous. On 65 minutes Holver’s cross come shot had to be pushed away by Cook then on 75 minutes he went very close with an overhead kick. Southmead were unlucky in the 76th minute when a free kick just outside the box was really well struck by Rob Sivers and Jones had to be at his best to tip the ball over the bar. In the next couple of minutes the visitors had a ball cleared off the line and a Dan Warren shot just cleared the bar. On 82 minutes the home side snatched a second goal when Ibrahima Sarr found Holver in space on the right side of the box he controlled the ball made several paces forward and then drove a low shot past Cook for a 2-1 lead. 2 minutes later Holver had a great chance to complete his hattrick but shot wide with a just the keeper to beat. A long ball gave Holver another chance for that third goal but this time he was foiled by Cook with another great save. With just a couple of minutes to go Rob Sivers rattled the home crossbar - so Lebeq United go through to the second round.

The Preliminary round at Stonehouse Town where Gala Wilton were the visitors. The home side are comfortably through with a 4-1 victory and will travel to AEK Boco on Tuesday 23rd August for the first round proper. It was Gala who took the lead on 15 minutes when Martin Smith headed home at the far post. Liam Gale levelled on 24 minutes when he ran clear of the visitors defence rounded the keeper to roll the ball home. The score remained level until the 71st minute when Andy Maryon chested down a Liam Gale cross and rifled the ball home. The home side scored a third on 77 minutes from a close range effort from Tim Williams. The home side rounded the scoring off in the 90th minute when Joss Patel broke down the flank sent over a long ball to the far post where Williams was waiting to head it back across goal and Maryon rifled home his second.

Patchway Town who had to travel to Broadwell Amateurs for their Preliminary round game because their facilities were not available are out of the cup for another season. The opening goal came in the 65th minute from a break down the line by Kristian Burnard his cross caused panic in the Patchway defence and the ball ran loose to Mike Etheridge to score from close range. Just 3 minutes later Ross Gabriel made it 2-0 to Broadwell when he volleyed over the keeper. Broadwell will now travel to Hanham Athletic on Wednesday 24th August for the first round proper.

Last seasons finalists Rockleaze Rangers were handed a heavy defeat at the hands of Bristol Telephone. The game had to be played at Bristol Telephones as the Rockleaze facilities were unavailable. It was always going to be an uphill task for Rangers after they found themselves 3-0 down at the break and 6-0 down on 70 minutes. Phones took the lead after 6 minutes when Ryan Hicks flicked the ball home from a long throw. Richard Bray had two great one on one chances to level the score for Rangers but failed. On 21 minutes Mike Alvis set up Dhani Golding to make it 2-0. A costly slip by Rangers central defender Aaron Day led to Billy Downes tapping the ball home for a 3-0 lead. Downes netted his second on 54 minutes with a spectacular overhead kick. A Ben Griffiths 20 yard lob into the top corner on 61 minutes made it 5-0 then on 70 minutes a Kyran Hunt shot that Rangers keeper should have saved finished up in the bottom corner. 2 minutes on and Rangers woke up and Steve Fitzpatrick headed home a Greg Parr free kick. Fitzpatrick then scored a second from the penalty spot on 84 minutes after Neil Simons had been brought down in the box.

Kingswood bounced back from last weeks defeat to book their place in the second round with a 2-1 victory over Thornbury Town. Thornbury took the lead on 13 minutes after Craig Lancastle surged into the box from the right had his shot well saved by Blackwell but the rebound fell kindly for Danny Thompson to tap in. Kingswood’s first effort on goal after 25 minutes came from a Simon Clark free kick from the edge of the box which was well saved by Lippiatt. The home side almost levelled on 45 minutes but Ryan Mudd was just wide from a Luke Chappell cross. On 63 minutes Gary Simmons had a good chance for the home side but hit it straight at Lippiatt. The equaliser came in the 66th minute from a cross from the right that found Jamie Evans to swivel in the box and strike his shot past Lippiatt. The winner came in the 90th minute from the penalty spot. A cross from Gary Simmons to the far post saw Lippiatt bundle Evans to the ground and referee point to the spot. Simon Clark stepped up for the penalty and gave Lippiatt no chance.

Frampton United were drawn to face last season winner of the trophy Hardwicke. This was a local derby as the Clubs are not to far apart. Hardwicke went through but not before it went to a penalty shootout after 90 minutes. Hardwicke got off to a great start and took the lead on 4 minutes when Josh Wilson lobbed the ball over home keeper James Marklove. 2 minutes later Frampton’s Jack Bartman saw his free kick pushed over the bar by the visitor’s keeper. Hardwicke were unlucky in the 12th minute when Joss Wilson’s header hit the crossbar. Frampton were on level terms after 25 minutes when Matt Cook’s 25 yard shot finished up in the back of the Hardwicke net. Frampton’s Jake Ward saw his fizzing shot just clear the bar on 86 minutes and Nathan Dennis’s rasping shot was scrambled away by the visitor’s keeper right on time. With the scores level on 90 minutes the game was settled from the penalty spot with Hardwicke winning 4-2.

Little Stoke who were late comers to the league started there campaign with a visit to Henbury. The home side had a goal disallowed on 23 minutes Caelan Simpson was adjudged to have pushed the keeper. Then in the 38th minute Little Stoke went ahead when James Laver found himself with a one on one situation and rounded the keeper to score. Henbury had another disallowed goal when Rob Wilks was just offside. The home side drew level on 70 minutes from an Adam Rosser header following a Jack Mills corner. Ten minutes later Adam Rosser was brought down in the box and Jack Mills put the home side in front from the spot. Henbury then scored two late goals in time added at the end of 90 minutes. Jack Mills netted his second after rounding the keeper and then Adam Rosser dispossessed a Little Stoke defender to curl the ball past the keeper.

6th August 2016 - Stonehouse make a winning return

A great start to the season for Stonehouse Town winning their first game back in the County League after being one of the founder members way back in 1968/69.

They took on last seasons runners-up Henbury at Oldends Lane in front of a crowd of 117.

The home team looked the better side in the early stages and Andy Maryon had a good chance but failed to capitalise. Henbury’s first effort on goal after 28 minutes was a good shot from 20 yards that had home keeper Will Pedrick at full stretch to keep it out. Henbury might have taken the lead on 31 minutes but the header went just wide of the post. The home side took the lead on 34 minutes with a spectacular goal from Liam Gale who caught the Henbury keeper off his line and hit the ball from full 70 yards it struck the crossbar and keeper Jake Hannam tried desperately to keep it out but only succeeded in helping the ball over the line. Ben Carmen had a great chance to make it 2-0 but hit his shot wide from 8 yards. Just before the break Caelen Simpson was only just wide with a shot from the edge of the box that would have levelled the score.

Although there was no further goals in the second period Stonehouse created several good opportunities early on. A Gale break down the right saw the low cross skim across the box but it was well read by keeper Hannam. Andy Maryon was on target but hit it straight at the keeper. There was a lengthy hold up on 54 minutes when a Henbury player was brought down just outside the box and exchanges got very heated. Eventually the referee sorted it all out with a player from each side going into the book. Gale again broke clear down the right for the home side but his low cross well taken by Hannam. Henbury’s Adam Rosser sent in a tremendous shot but keeper Pedrick got right behind it. Rob Wilks then had a chance to level for the visitors but hit his shot straight at Pedrick. Henbury substitute Danny Simpson had two good chances to level near the end by failed to beat home keeper Pedrick.

Hardwicke are top of the table tonight after they beat Hanham Athletic 3-0 at home.

Steve Bick gave the home side the lead on 12 minutes heading home a Rich Mansell corner. Will Matthews made it 2-0 on 40 minutes heading home a Paul Carter free kick. Matthews made it 3-0 on 70 minutes when he latched onto a ball fumbled by the visitor’s keeper.

Broadwell Amateurs found themselves up against a strong Lebeq United side and fell behind after 7 minutes when Dominic Holver netted from the penalty spot. A good save by home keeper Jamie Merry denied a second for Holver. On 16 minutes Holver capitalised on a defensive mistake to make it 2-0 to Lebeq. Just 2 minutes later Ben Schiller headed in a Jamie Powell corner to make it 2-1. On 38 minutes Holver missed a glorious chance to make it 3-1. On 62 minute ex Cheltenham Town player Dave Bird saw his shot well saved by Lebeq keeper Jones. On 65 minutes Ross Gabriel headed home to make it 2-2 then in the 85th minute Gabriel netted a second when he headed home the winner.

Last seasons Champions AEK Boco were beaten 2-1 by Cheltenham Civil Service. A goalless first 45 minutes, but 2 minutes into the second half the visitors took the lead with a break down the left and a cross into the box was turned into his own net by Charlie Stevens. Boco levelled the score on 56 minutes when Luke Bryan broke down the right and squared the ball back for Liam Jenkins to drive home. Cheltenham grabbed the winner on 69 minutes when Leigh Rayson turned a cross into the box past the home keeper from 8 yards.

Thornbury Town got off to a great start with a 3-2 win at Frampton United. Luke Franklin capitalised on a defensive mistake to put the visitors 1-0 up on 32 minutes. Franklin netted a second from a free kick on 51 minutes and 4 minutes later Craig Lancastle scored a third to put the visitors well on their way to victory. Frampton hit back on 58 minutes when Myron Turner netted from the penalty spot but they left it late to score the second on 90 minutes a free kick driven home by Fraser Wilson.

Southmead CS Athletic had much the better of the first 45 minute in their home game with Bristol Telephones but they again failed to get the ball into the back of the net. Their first effort came after 8 minutes when they got the ball in the net but it was ruled out. Then Coghlan shot from a Caswell cross was well blocked by the visitors defence on 35 minutes. A Chris Williams header on 38 minutes was only just wide of the upright. On 60 minutes John Kilpatrick almost gave the home side the lead but was just wide. The killer blow came in the 71st minute after Telephones were awarded a free kick 25 yards out and Dhani Golding’s shot flew into the Southmead net for the winner.

Kingswood v Patchway Town saw six goals in this fixture with the visitors going away with a 4-2 victory. Town’s keeper kept them in the game when he pulled of a good save on 7 minutes to deny Simon Clark, but 2 minutes later the home side found themselves a goal down when a corner swung into the box was turned into his own net by Joe Blakeney. On 19 minutes a defensive mistake allowed the visitors to take a 2-0 lead Matt Davies finding the back of the net. Kingswood pulled a goal back on 40 minutes from a Josh Stokes 40 yard shot that looped over the keeper. Another defensive error by the home side allowed Luke Garbacz the opportunity to make it 3-1 to Patchway. On 40 minutes Joe Blakeney gave away a penalty and James Stevens netted from the spot to put the visitors 4-1 up. Patchway got a second penalty in the 46th minute but this time home keeper Chris Fox pulled of a great save to deny Stevens a second. Kingswood got a second goal on 70 minutes when Simon Clark scored from 25 yards.

Gala Wilton went down 2-0 at home to Bishops Cleeve Reserves. Sam Comfort headed Cleeve into the lead from a corner on 20 minutes. Gala’s only good effort on goal a shot from Neil Griffiths was blocked in the six yard box. Craig Howell’s 25 yard shot for the home side was pushed around the post by the Cleeve keeper before Jamie Hammond was put clear in a one on one situation in the 70th minute to make it 2-0 to Cleeve. The visitors almost netted a third on 80 minutes but the shot hit the crossbar.