league logo

MARCLIFF Gloucestershire County Football League

sponsor logo

Ron's Match Reports

26th August 2017 - Hardwicke see off Thornbury challenge

Lebeq United retain their 100% start to the season with a win at Hanham Athletic. Wick move into second place after winning at Rockleaze Rangers.

Kingswood are off the bottom and their place is taken by Gala Wilton who do not have a point on the board as yet.

Hardwicke hit back from their defeat last week with a two – nil win over Thornbury Town. Both sides shared possession but nothing creative appeared until the twenty forth minute when Hardwicke’s Tobie Webb hit the target from twenty five yards but straight to Lewis in the Thornbury goal. The home side snatched the lead in the twenty ninth minute from a mistake by keeper Lewis fumbling the ball and giving Will Matthews the chance to score from close range. Thornbury’s first shot on target came from Toby Bennett on thirty five minutes. At the other end a long cross into the box was headed over by Webb. Another long ball from a free kick found Matthews on the far post his return across goal was missed by everyone and it went out for a goal kick.

Thornbury broke down the right on fifty four minutes with some good passing movements but again they failed to finish the move off. A great free kick from Toby Bennett on fifty eight minutes brought a great save from home keeper Chris Perks. A break from the home side on sixty six minutes brought a second goal as the ball came in from the right it fell right for Patrick Vernall to hook the ball home. Rich Mansell almost made it three right on time but his effort fell short of the target. Thornbury will be very disappointed with this result but their failure to test the home keeper Perks on only one occasion tells the story.

Lebeq United continue their fantastic start to the season with a three – nil win at Hanham Athletic. Lebeq took the lead on four minutes with a reel cool finish from Shah Bhakerd in a one – on one situation. Hanham’s Mike Sadler went close with a long range shot a couple of minutes later. A second for the visitors was a superb finish by Twaine Plummer on twenty six minutes and just before the break home keeper Max Heaven brought off a great save to deny Lebeq a third. Hanham created two half chance early in the second half but in the sixtieth minute a great tackle by Hanham’s Curtis Henry prevented Lebeq getting a third. Another effort from Jamie Fry was just wide of the target but on seventy minutes the visitor’s did get a third goal as the ball was sent in from a corner there was a scramble and Ibrahima Sarr slipped the ball home.

Kingswood are off the mark with a four – three win at home to Broadwell Amateurs. Jordan Sheen gave Broadwell the lead on five minutes and Kingswood levelled on twenty eight minutes when Jordan Sims lobbed the ball over the keeper. Dave Parslow contolled the ball well and fired Kingswood into the lead on fifty six minutes only for Broadwell’s Ben Fishwick to level just after. A second goal from Dave Parslow on sixty eight minutes put the home side three – two up and then Ben Foxwell made it four – two from a corner. A third goal five minutes from the end for Broadwell’s Darryl Addis brought the final score to four – three.

Wick continued where they left off last week and scored five goals for the second week running this time it was Rockleaze Rangers on the receiving end. The visitors took an early lead just three minutes on the clock when George Cryer turned in a Sam Thomas cross. It looked as though Rangers had levelled on thirty one minutes but some how a Wick defender managed to get back and clear Carl Lakey’s shot off the line. Rangers did draw level three minutes later from a corner that was diverted into the Wick net off of one of their own defenders. Wick took a two – one lead on sixty five minutes when Dan Stephens broke clear and scored. The visitors then took the game by the scruff of the neck and scored another three. A double from James Hubbard in the seventy eighth and eighty third minute put them four – one up and then to cap it all for Rangers a Hubbard shot was turned into his own net by Rangers defender Alex Morrison.

Frampton United sent Gala Wilton to the bottom of the table with a resound four – nil win. Frampton opened the scoring on fifteen minutes when Manola Marquez Espada volleyed home Kris Bully’s cross. Four minutes later it was Ryan Vincent’s turn to score from a cross by Marquez Espada. The home side were three up on twenty one minutes when Ryan Vincents shot was turned into his own net by Mark Mason. Gala’s Chris Earl went close with a shot on twenty eight minutes and Alex Pritchard hit the cross bar in the thirty seventh minute. Home keeper pulled off a great save to deny Gala in the sixty eighth minutes. Manola Marquez Espada finished the scoring off in the eighty seventh minute when he slotted the ball home.

The local derby of the day between Henbury and Southmead CS Athletic attracted one hundred and nine spectators to Arnell Drive. Not a good day for the visitors as they were sent home with heads down after being beaten five – nil by the hosts. Henbury got off to flyer scoring in the first minute when Ross Jones turned in an Adam Rosser free kick. It was Rosser involved in the second on thirty minutes when his through ball found Dan Dodimead to put them two up. The visitors conceded a third right on half time the ball going in off a defender from another Henbury corner. a bizarre forth goal for the host on sixty minutes when the visitors keeper misjudged the bounce from a long ball up field by Luke Cox and could only knock the ball towards his own goal giving Dan Dodimead the easiest of chances for his second. Henbury wrapped it up late on with a superb twenty five yard shot from Adam Rosser.

AEK Boco gained their first win of the season with a four – one success over Little Stoke. Darren Werrett gave the home side the lead on eight minutes when he prodded home a Harrison Kyte cross. Little Stoke did not lye down but found the home keeper Joe Pople in great form as he brought of four great saves to deny them a goal. The home side went two up a minute into the second half and again it was that man Werrett who found the back of the Stoke net. Werrett was denied his hattrick in the fifty seventh minute when his tremendous shot struck the upright. Three minutes later it was three – nil as Liam Crewe netted from a corner. Little Stoke did get on the score sheet on seventy minutes from the penalty spot which Fraser Robertson duly dispatched. Little Stoke found themselves down to ten men on eighty five minutes when Ollie Bacon was shown a straight red card. Jason Thatcher sewed the points up for the home side right on time with a 20 yard free kick.

Stonehouse Town gained their first win of the season with a three – one win over Patchway Town. It was the visitors who took the lead on six minutes with a great shot from Luke Garbacz. Tim Williams went close on a couple of occasions before levelling the score on twenty six minutes after the visitor’s keeper made a bad mistake. The home side took the lead for the first time on fifty five minutes with a sweet twenty yard strike from Liam Walsh. On sixty five minutes Patchway’s Chad Horseman was sent off and a few minutes later the visitors were down to nine men when Paul Noyse was also shown a red card. Stonehouse made it three - one on eighty minutes when Humphries pass was turned in by Lance Rennolds.

19th August 2017 - Wick hit five past Stonehouse Town

Lebeq United hammer six past Rockleaze Rangers to keep their one hundred percent start to the season intact.

Kingswood lost for the third time and are rooted to the bottom of the table.

Wick got of to a flying start at home to Stonehouse Town opening the scoring in the first minute from a long ball into the centre just outside the box which Stonehouse full-back Adam Harley failed to control and Sam Thomas nicked the ball and fired it across the visitors keeper Peter Davis into the far side of the net. A very strong wind was blowing throughout the game which increased in the second half but the home side mastered it better that the visitors. The visitors first chance came on twelve minutes when Lee Keveren pursued a through ball but home keeper Tyler Edmunds got there first. A minute later Davis brought of a great save from Wick’s Daniel Stephens header. Stonehouse were given a free kick in the centre of the goal and just on the edge of the box giving them a good chance to level by Keverens shot hit the wall and he hit the rebound straight at Edmunds. Wick made it two on twenty six minutes from a superb low cross from the right by Shaun Morris that was swept in by Thomas for his second. Thomas almost completed his hattrick on thirty one minutes but his header just cleared the bar. On thirty five minutes the Stonehouse keeper Davis brought of a brilliant double save when he parried a tremendous shot form Kieron Hutson and then denied James Hubbard from the rebound. Right on half time the visitors had a great chance to pull a goal back but Edmonds pulled off a great save from Brad Bird.

Davis had to be at his best early in the second half and made several good saves to keep his side in the game. Then on fifty six minutes the home side broke through again with a break down the right a cross in to the centre and Kieron Hutson drove the ball home. Two minutes later the visitors might have scored but for a good clearance off the line by Edmunds. Both sides made substitutions and the visitors seem to benefit from this as they started to push forward a little more. Joe Woodley saw his shot deflected away for a corner to the visitors. On seventy one minutes a shot from the halfway line caught Davis off his line but the ball dropped onto the top of the net. Wick scored again on seventy five minutes a low cross from the right by Thomas found Danny Sheldon to drive home. Five minutes later it was five this time the ball was squared back by Harry Madge for Joe Treasure to fire home. The visitors never gave up and were rewarded with a consolation goal in the eighty eighth minute headed home by Tim Williams.

Lebeq United have got off to a tremendous start to the season with three straight wins and netting sixteen goals and only conceding one. It was Rockleaze Rangers on the end of a hammering today Lebeq dishing out the same medicine that they gave Kingswood. They went for it right from the off and only a couple of tremendous saves by rangers Ashley Newman kept the home side out. The home side did eventually break through on twenty three minutes from a cross from the left by Marcel Smith headed home by Sheldon Sawyer. Rangers Ali Boyle missed a great chance to level soon after but missed from five yards. United went two up on twenty eight minute with a superb twenty five yard drive from Marcel Smith. Smith scored his second two minutes before the break turning in across from Rick Davis. Early in the second half Twaine Plummer and Davis interchanged passes before Davis finished it off to make it four. A twenty five yard unstoppable shot from Davis increased the lead to five then in the seventy fifth minute a mistake in the Rangers defence let Plummer in to lob the keeper for the sixth. Right at the end Rangers Danny Webb hit the post from three yards.

Ruardean Hill Rangers although only completing two games so far are the only other unbeaten Club beside the leaders. They were at Southmead CS Athletic today and went a goal down after fifteen minutes when Ernesto Correia scored from the penalty spot after a Ruardean defender had handled. The home side hung on to the slender lead until the sixtieth minute when the visitors levelled through Luke Johnson after the home defence failed to clear. Luke Brown then put the visitors ahead on sixty six minutes when the ball was laid back across the eighteen yard box. Brown sewed the game up for the visitors when he fired a shot into the top corner on eighty minutes.

Patchway Town’s first home game of the season ended in a two – nil success over Kingswood who have yet to score a goal in the three games they have played so far. Danny Warren finished off a cross from Sam Peplow on fifteen minutes putting the home side one up. Home keeper Jamie Farmiloe kept the visitors from levelling with a tremendous save from Jordan Simms on twenty four minutes. Town’s Danny Dunt hit the crossbar a few minutes later. In time added at the end of the game David Ishi tapped in a cross for a final score of two – nil.

Just one goal was enough to take all three points at Broadwell Amateurs where Hardwicke who were previously unbeaten were the visitors today. The game started at a blistering pace and Jordan Sheen should have put the home side one up after five minutes. The home side took the lead on thirty two minutes from a high ball that was headed on by Harry Williams to Ben Fishwick to drive a low shot into the corner of the net. Just before the break Hardwicke had a chance to level by Richard Mansell’s shot across goal was just wide. It was a hard scrap in the second half but neither side were able to find the back of the net.

Thornbury Town entertained last years Les James League Cup Winners AEK Boco at the Mundy playing fields and went into this game confident after two wins out of two. This was an excellent game of football throughout with both sides entertaining the eighty spectators that had turned out to watch. There was no score at the break and it took until the fifty first minute for the break through to come and it went to the home side new signing Brandon Benjamin poking the ball home after a scramble in the Boco area. Five minutes later Boco were level and it came from Harrison Kyte who curled his free kick from the edge of the box into the top corner.

Henbury’s visit to Gala Wilton puts three point on the board with a three two win. The visitors went ahead in the second minute Dan Dodimead knocking the ball home after home keeper Nick Bakewell could only parry the first shot on goal. Gala hit back in the eighteenth minute when Jack Jeramiah scored direct from a corner. The home side went ahead on twenty six minutes when Chris Earle netted from the penalty spot. Henbury levelled the score on fifty four minutes from a free kick that was parried away by Bakewell but Jack Bebbington following in drove the ball home. Just three minutes later Henbury grabbed the winner a slice of luck attached as the ball spun off a defender to Danny Dodimead who fired past Blakewell.

Frampton United got back to winning ways with a two – nil victory at Little Stoke. The home side had gone close on several occasions early on but then fell behind in the twenty ninth minute when Frampton’s Steve Jackson smashed the ball home. A second goal on sixty three minutes from Kris Bulley put the home side on the back foot although John Rugman was unlucky when he struck the crossbar. The home side finished with ten men when Fraser Robertson was sent off in time added at the end of the game.

12th August 2017 - Henbury and Little Stoke share spoils

Lebeq United lead the table after two games with six points and a goal difference of nine. Thornbury Town and Hardwicke also have six points from their opening two games. At the bottom Kingswood have got of to dreadful start and have conceded ten goals in their opening two games.

For the first twenty five minutes of our visit to Henbury to watch their fixture with Little Stoke was a disappointment to say the least. Plenty of effort from both sides but no end result. In fact the first effort on goal came from Little Stokes Kieran Williams in the twenty sixth minute that he blasted over the bar. Then ten minutes later Jacob Hicks did the same thing at the other end for Henbury. The last effort on goal before the break was a thirty yard shot from Blaine Mitchell that failed to trouble the Henbury keeper Dan O’Brien.

There was a little more action in the second period and in the sixty fifth minute the home side took the lead from a corner headed home by Jack Bebbington. Stoke replied in the seventy ninth minute with a well taken goal from Dean Patterson stroking home Kieran Williams cross from the right. Henbury’s Dan Dodimead might have got a winner for the home side but Stoke keeper Amin Jones got to the ball just in time.

Rockleaze Rangers got off to a good start to the season at their new shared home at Southmead with a three – nil win over Hanham Athletic. From the report I received it was the Boyer Webb show as Danny Webb gave them the lead on twelve minutes when he chipped the ball over the Hanham Keeper from a neat flick on from Ali Boyer. On twenty one minutes the Hanham keeper made a terrible mistake rolling the ball straight to Ali Boyer who had a simple task of knocking straight back into the visitors net. On thirty minutes Henry Jones broke clear and hit a twenty yard drive past the visitor’s keeper but it was ruled out for offside. Rangers wrapped the game up on sixty five minutes when Boyer volleyed home from ten yards after Webb had set him up. The visitors were right off song today only managing one shot on target the whole of ninety minutes.

Lebeq United followed on from their six – nil win in the week with another good result at Stonehouse Town. They went in front on six minutes from a corner the ball ran loose to Hassankafi Ibraham to strike home. The visitors went further ahead on twenty five minutes after home keeper Peter Davis brought of a great save but unfortunately the ball ran loose to Marcel Smith to drive home. Lebeq went three up in the thirty eighth minute when Rick Davis turned in a cross. Brad Bird had a great chance just before the break to pull a goal back but shot over. Stonehouse pulled a goal back on fifty five minutes when Elliott King laid the ball back for Brad Bird to score. The home keeper gifted the visitors their forth goal kicking the ball straight to Ibrahim Sarr to neatly tuck it away.

Thornbury Town continued their good start with an excellent win at Frampton United. A Kris Bulley cross on six minutes should have put the home side in front but Matt Cook headed straight at the keeper. They did however take the lead on twenty minutes from a corner that found Ryan Vincent whose shot hit the crossbar and Jack Bartman put away the rebound. Thornbury’s Craig Lancastle made it one- one on fifty two minutes and then on sixty four minutes Joe Guest broke into the Frampton box was brought down by Nathan Dennis and Lancastle scored from the spot. On eighty two minute Ryan Vincent got what everyone thought was the equaliser but it was ruled out for offside.

Ruardean Hill Rangers first outing in the County League brought them three points at Gala Wilton. Rangers took the lead on thirty five minutes when Luke Brown burst into the box hit a shot that stuck the upright and Luke Johnson following up struck the ball home. Gala got back in the game early in the second half when Peter Boyle scrambled the ball home following a corner. Rangers regained the lead on the hour from a long ball up field that was misjudged by the home keeper Aaron Taylor and Johnson netted his second. Taylor was in action again in the sixty seventh minute saving well but unable to hold the ball and Sean Tingle headed home. On seventy three minutes John Antonio wriggled his way through the Rangers defence before unleashing a shot that took a deflection on its way in to the Rangers net.

Not a lot happened until the thirty forth minute in this game between Hardwicke and Patchway Town but a superb cross from Niall Morgan found Tobi Webb to volley home. A second for Hardwicke on sixty three minutes also involved Webb to set up substitute Sean Smith to drive the ball home in off the underside of the bar. A third five minutes later made the game safe and it was Smith involved this time setting up Craig Harris to score. It could well have been four on eighty minutes but Gittins blasted over the bar.

Wick who commenced their season last Saturday travelled to Kingswood today and will be well pleased with the result. Kingswood who were hammered six – nil in the week by Lebeq United must be wondering what has gone wrong as they conceded a further four goals today without reply. James Hubbard is the star of the day for Wick netting a hattrick for their convincing win. He netted his first on twenty eight minutes when he out jumped the Kingswood keeper to head home. Just six minutes later he was at it again this time heading home at the far post. On fifty two minutes Sean Morris made it three – nil when he was put clear on goal and slotted into the net. Hubbard completed his hattrick on the hour after nipping behind the home defence before slipping the ball past the hapless keeper.

AEK Boco’s first game of the season ended in a two – two draw against today’s visitors Broadwell Amateurs. Jordan Scott gave the home side the lead on twenty minutes but Broadwell hit back ten minutes later with the first of a double from Harry Williams. The visitors then took the lead on fifty seven minutes with a second from Williams but a Jacob Saunders goal three minutes from the end salvaged a point.

5th August 2017 - Southmead Start with a Win

Southmead CS Athletic who have finished bottom of the table in the last two seasons got off to a flying start at home to Gloucester side Gala Wilton. Ashley Harwoods shot after 35 seconds went just over the bar and then Ernesto Correia got his shot on target on two minutes and a minute later Luke Bayford’s 25 yard free kick went just over. Gala hit back and Paul Law went close with a shot that hit the side netting. Law got on the end of a long ball into the Southmead box but was unable to steer his header on target. Home keeper Shaun O’Keefe pulled of a great diving save at the feet of Sam Green to deny Gala taking the lead. On twenty two minutes there was a half chance for Gala’s Lee Allen but he pulled his shot wide. On twenty five minutes O’Keefe again denied Paul Law with a good save. On thirty two minutes the ball was squared across the box for Chris Earle to run onto but he skied it over the bar. Southmead’s Tom Hutchings fired in a low shot that saw Gala keeper Aaron Taylor dive low to his right to keep the ball out.

Connor Davies should have put the home side ahead on forty nine minutes when he was put clear on goal but failed to get the ball past Taylor who just managed to deflect the shot wide. A break down the left by Gala and a long cross found Mark Mason on the far post but he drove his shot well over the bar. How gala did not take the lead on sixty five minutes it is hard to know as a low ball in from the right was fumbled by O’Keefe the ball ran straight to Sam Green whose goal bound shot was somehow cleared off the line. A Southmead break on the left on seventy one minutes saw Aiden Hill break into the box and was brought down by Ashley Samuels the referee immediately awarding a penalty. Hill took the spot kick and coolly placed the ball past Taylor to give the home side the lead. Gala pushed hard for the equaliser but the home side stood firm to gain the three points.

New comers to the league Wick in their very first County League game were beaten two – one at home by Hardwicke. The first twenty minutes failed to produce any chances as the two teams tested each other out. The Wick keeper brought of a good save on 26 minute and immediately gave the home side a chance to break with the Hardwicke keeper being really tested for the first time. Hardwicke took the lead on forty two minutes from a free kick wide on the left that was delivered to the far post where it was headed back across goal for Steve Bick to score. Hardwicke had a second goal disallowed two minutes later for a foul on the home keeper. Three minutes into the second half the home side were level when Sam Thomas headed home, but just two minutes later Hardwicke got their noses in front again when the home defence failed to clear and Will Matthews hit the back of the net. An offside decision on 70th minutes saved Wick from going three – one down. Then on eighty two minutes a goal-line deflection stopped Wick from levelling. The home side put the pressure on in the last few minutes but could not find another goal.

Thornbury Town are top of the table after a three – nil win at home to Henbury. The game commenced in heavy rain then in the seventeenth minute the home side went one up when Jim Brocks long diagonal ball was chested down by Craig Lancastle who then swept the ball home. Five minutes before the break Tom Webb gave away a penalty to give Henbury the chance to level but the home keeper guessed right and dived to push the ball away. On sixty five minutes Town went two up when Toby Bennett sent a deep cross to Craig Lancastle who then rolled the ball into the path of Josh Morris on the edge of the box and his shot hit the underside of the crossbar before nestling in the back of the net. Tom Webb set up Dan Rees to hit a low shot past the Henbury keeper to make it three – nil.

116 spectators watched the game at Vicarage Road where Hanham Athletic came back from a goal down to lead two- one before conceding a second to make the final score all square. Stonehouse Town could well have been two up in the first seven minutes but for some poor finishing by Dan Martin and a great save by home keeper Max Heaven. The visitors did however take the lead on twenty five minutes with a great shot from Joe Martin that flew past Heaven. Hanham’s Jason Hallett then missed a good chance to level a minute later and Mike Saddler had a goal disallowed for offside. The home side did level on thirty one minutes when Saddler broke into the box was brought down and the referee awarded a penalty; Tom Welling made no mistake from the spot. Two minutes before the break the home side went two – one up when Luke Buntings cross was met by Liam Robson to send a bullet header into the Stonehouse net. The equaliser for the visitors came in the eightieth minute from a free kick that was struck into the top corner by Bradley Moore. The visitors were handed a chance to steal all the points in the eighty fifth minute from the penalty spot but Bradley Moore blasted his shot way over the bar. Right on time Hanham’s Luke Bunting struck the Stonehouse crossbar.

Broadwell Amateurs first home game of the season ended in a one – nil defeat from today’s visitors Frampton United. Frampton stole the early part of this game and a goal-line clearance from Craig Lewis kept the score at nil – nil. Jordan Sheen went close for the home side in the first forty five minutes but the half time came with no score from either side. A goal from Ryan Vincent a volley from the edge of the box on fifty five minutes was enough for Frampton to go away with all the points.