league logo

MARCLIFF Gloucestershire County Football League

sponsor logo

Ron's Match Reports

30th September 2017 - Kingswood get the better of Southmead

Kingswood 3 Southmead CS Athletic 0

This was a game in which both sides needed to record a good result to help them climb the table. The visitors were the first to show with a cross from Ricardo Dos Santos screaming out for a touch as it sped across the Kingswood six yard box. At the other end the Southmead keeper Connolly Jarrett had to push away a good shot from Jordan Sims. The home side opened the scoring on 8 minutes from a corner from the right that was only half cleared by the defence and fell to Jordan Sims on the edge of the box to unleash a tremendous drive that flew into the top of the net. Southmead were given the opportunity to get on level terms a couple of minutes later but Gary Booths free kick from 30 yards just cleared the bar. The visitors who were playing the better football were unlucky in the 18th minute when Frank Stallard’s shot was brilliantly saved by keeper Chris Fox. A tremendous run down the right by Kingswood’s Matt Poole who then cut in to give himself space to shoot ended disappointingly as the shot was blocked by a defender. Fox kept the home side in the game when he again brought of another great save this time to deny Ricardo Dos Santos from levelling the score on 26 minutes. The visitors continued to look the better side during the remainder of the first half but failed to break through the home defence.

Southmead started the second half with Simeon Hopkins firing just wide of the target but then came the thunderbolt that knocked the stuffing out of Southmead with Kingswood scoring twice in the matter of 4 minutes the first on 54 minutes a bullet header by Matt Poole from a Reece Provis cross and a second goal on 58 minutes from a dreadful mistake by Southmead keeper Connolly Jarrett who came off his line to collect a high ball but spilled it and gave Nick Bishop the simple task of knocking the ball into an empty net. The two quick goals unhinged the visitors and they lost that passing movement that had been there in the first 45 minutes. Southmead did manage to gather themselves together and went close on two occasions but it did not look as though it was going to be their day. The home side had one more chance to make it four near the end but poor finishing let them down.

Wick 8 Patchway Town 0

A serious 8-0 thrashing for Patchway Town at Wick. The opening goal for the home side came after 15 minutes when Joe Thomas’s shot was diverted into the Patchway net by Shaun Morris. A Joe Treasure header from 12 yards on 27 minutes made it 2-0. Then came three goals in the space of 3 minutes just before half time. James Pocock played a one two with Sam Thomas before driving the ball home and a few minutes later Mark Hardiman drove a crisp shot past the visitors keeper. Then in time added at the end of the first half Joe Treasure popped up with his second. In the 76th minute it was six as Sam Thomas got on the score sheet. Patchway were reduced to ten men on eighty minutes and the home side then netted twice more Mike Hardiman right on 90 minutes and then set up substitute Sam Baber to net the final goal in time added on.

Hanham Athletic 0 Thornbury Town 4

Thornbury Town continue to challenge for the title with a 4-0 win at Hanham Athletic today. The opening goal on 20 minutes came from a Toby Bennett free kick that was completely misjudged by home keeper Max Heaven. Hanham were unlucky on the half hour mark when Adam Grinter struck the upright. Then right on half time Brandon Benjamin squeezed the ball home from a tight angle for a 2-0 lead. Thornbury increased the lead on 80 minutes when Craig Lancastle netted their third. Thornbury keeper Tom Sheppard kept his goal intact with a fine save from Luke Simmons a couple of minutes from the end, but then came a late goal from the visitors a second of the afternoon for Toby Bennett.

Stonehouse 4 Gala Wilton 2

Stonehouse Town after conceding four goals last week netted four this week to beat bottom Club Gala Wilton 4-2. They were slow of the mark and were hit with a break away goal from Gala after 4 minutes finished off by Luke Whittam. It took until the 38th minute before they levelled Lance Rennolds turning in an Andy Maryon cross. Danny Stephens had his shot well saved by the visitor’s keeper but from the following corner he made amends to put the home side 2-1 up. It was the Maryon Rennolds combination that increased the lead for Stonehouse in the 59th minute with Rennolds getting his second. Gala did create several half chances during the second period but it was the home side who went further ahead on 84 minutes when Lee Keveren volleyed home. Gala netted a second in time added at the end of 90 minutes Luke Whittam getting on the score sheet for a second time.

Rockleaze Rangers 2 Little Stoke 1

Rockleaze Rangers ended Little Stokes wining run with a 2-1 successes at home. Rangers Ali Boyer saw his shot turned around the post on 14 minutes, but soon after opened the scoring after Kyle Ford and Marcus Williams set Boyer up to chip the ball over the Little Stoke keeper. There was little threat from the visitors according to the report but Jordan Yeo shot from outside the box went just over the bar. Two defensive mistakes one from either side brought a goal for both teams in the second period. On 47 minutes Rangers got in a muddle at the back and that allowed Sam Hill to pounce and level the score, but an almost identical defensive error at the other end on 53 minutes saw Marcus Williams head home for what turned out to be the winner.

Hardwicke 2 Ruardean Hill Rangers 2

Honours shared at Hardwicke where Ruardean Hill Rangers were the visitors. The home side found themselves trailing by two goals to nil at one stage. Matt Barnard gave Rangers the lead on 5 minutes after home keeper Perks parried his first header but Barnard following up headed home the rebound. He should have scored again a few minutes later but shot wide. Rangers were 2-0 up after 35 minutes when Luke Brown found the back of the net. Minutes into the second half a desperate clearance off the Hardwicke line by Pat Vernall stopped Luke Brown netting a third for Rangers. Shaun Smith then missed a glorious chance for the home side to pull a goal back. A bad tackle in the box gave the home side a way back into the game on 55 minutes as James Ractliffe was brought down and Will Matthews netted the resulting Penalty. The home side levelled the score from a free kick from Paul Carter that was unfortunate for Rangers David Matthews turning the ball into his own net.

23rd September 2017 - Thornbury recover to beat Rockleaze

Lebeq United remain top after their win at Patchway Town whilst AEK Boco move into second place with a win at Ruardean Hill Rangers.

At the bottom Gala Wilton gained their first point of the season at home to Kingswood.

Thornbury Town 4 Rockleaze Rangers 2

Thornbury Town found themselves trailing one- nil after four minutes when a curling cross from the left by Nathan Blackie saw Ali Bowyer lunge towards the ball right in front of goal but failed to get a touch and it went straight through into the net at the far post. Rangers almost got a second on eight minutes from another cross into the six yard box that Ali Bowyer got his head to but it skimmed just past the post. Thornbury then had two cautions for arguing but went straight up the other end where Marcus Wormwell scored from just inside the box. On thirty three minutes Wormwell let fly from thirty yards but it was wide of the target. Then a minute later Tom Webb overlapped down the left slid past a Rangers defender before unleashing a shot that looked harmless but went straight past Ashley Newman in the Rangers goal. A couple of minutes later Toby Bennett also tried his luck from thirty yards but that went wide as well. Five minutes before the break Webb broke down the left again and sent in a great cross that after a scramble in the box was eventually cleared by the Rangers defence. A break down the left by Rangers right on half time resulted in a great cross into the box by Jake Hannan that found Carl Lakey to lob the ball over Sheppard to level the score.

One and half minutes into the second half Thornbury retook the lead and it was handed to them on a plate as the Rangers defence hesitated and then watched Toby Bennett pick up the loose ball and fire it past Newman. From that point on Town were in control of the game and had numerous chances to increase the lead but their shooting was well below par. Craig Lancastle was the worst culprit in four minutes from the fifty third to the fifty seventh minute he had three glorious chances but missed them all. In a rare attach from Rangers in the second period Nathan Blackie went close on sixty one minutes. With time added at the end of ninety minutes Town made it four two when Marcus Wormwell broke down the right squared the ball back across goal and substitute Asher Budd finished it off.

Ruardean Hill Rangers 2 AEK Boco 3

Ruardean Hill Rangers first home game of the season ended in disappointment going down three two to in form AEK Boco. There were no goals in the first forty five minutes but Aaron Underwood Rangers keeper brought off a great save to deny Joe reeves header going in. At the other end Boco’s keeper Ross Britton saved well from a Charley Mason shot. The home side took the lead in the forty eighth minute when Luke Johnsons shot was parried by Bitton but Joe Kilty following up and drove the ball home. Boco levelled in the fifty seventh minute when Jack Winter was put clear to score. On seventy one minutes Luke Brown put the home side back in front with a cracking twenty five yard free kick. When it looked like the home side were on for another victory Boco levelled the score once again in the eighty seventh minute with a looping header from Harrison Kyte. The game was heading for a draw until home keeper Aaron Underwood brought down a Boco forward in the box giving them the chance to win the game from the penalty spot and Liam Crewe duly obliged.

Patchway Town 1 Lebeq United 3

Lebeq United recorded their sixth win of the season with a three – one result at Patchway Town. The visitor’s opened the scoring on nineteen minutes from a cross into the box that found Slawomir Emil Jankowski to slot the ball home. United made it two – nil on fifty seven minutes from a hopeful shot from Zack Young that took a deflection on it’s way in. It was three – nil after seventy two minutes from an Hassankafi Ibrahim’s effort that just crept over the line. Patchway did eventually get on the score sheet in the eighty forth minute from a shot from Fred Mullen that the visitor’s keeper tried hard to keep out but it crept over the line.

Southmead CS Athletic 0 Hardwicke 4

Southmead seem to have hit the downward spiral since the opening game of the season and were well beaten at home by Hardwicke today. The visitors took the lead on twenty minutes with a ball over the home defence that Will Matthews finished off. The home side made even harder for themselves in the twenty ninth minute when Luke Bayford was sent off for a bad tackle. From the resulting free kick Shaun Smith hooked the ball in. Hardwicke went further ahead when Matthews ran twenty five yards and rounded the keeper. To round the scoring off Tobie Webb scored with a magnificent over head kick five minutes from the end.

Gala Wilton 1 Kingswood 1

Gala Wilton picked up their first point of the season with a one – one draw at home to Kingswood. Gala went ahead on twenty minutes when Tom Dunford ran into the box fired a low shot into the corner which the Kingswood keeper got his hand to but could not prevent it going in. Kingswood levelled from the penalty spot after the same player Tom Dunford gave away a penalty that Nathan Croot fired into the bottom corner.

Little Stoke 4 Stonehouse Town 2

Little Stoke have hit a good wave of form at present and carried it on today with an excellent win over Stonehouse Town. Stoke attacked right from the off and Jazz Bright Kieran Williams and Matt Simon’s all combined to bring the best out of the visitors keeper Adam Clark as early as the third minute. Just two minutes later that early pressure paid off when Simons pass to Williams saw his shot take a deflection on it’s way into the net. Stoke were well on top and had several attempts at goal thwarted by Clarke and the crossbar. Stoke had the chance to go two up on thirty minutes when Matt Simons was brought down by daniel Stephens in the box for a penalty, but Williams had his shot well saved by Clarke. Stonehouse levelled the score on fifty five minutes when Daniel Stephens played the ball through to Tim Williams to slide the ball past home keeper Amin Jones. On seventy five minutes Stoke were back in front as Jordan Yeo’s cross was turned in by Matt Simons on the back post. Three minutes later a twenty five yard shot from Sam Hill into the top corner made it three – one and two minutes later it was four – one as Yeo’s cross was headed home by Simons again on the back post. Lance Rennolds struck a twenty yard drive past Jones on eighty three minutes to make the final score four – two.

Broadwell Amateurs 1 Hanham Athletic 0

For the second week running Broadwell Amateurs have taken the three points with a single goal win, Hanham Athletic were their victims today. The only goal came from some good interchanging of passes from Harry Williams and Sheen with a powerful shot that went in through the keeper’s hands. The visitors had several chances throughout the game but were unable to find the back of the Broadwell net.

Henbury v Frampton United (Abandoned)

The game between Henbury and Frampton United was abandoned when Ryan McDonald received a serious injury after just 24 seconds of the game. The referee waited until half time but the ambulance had not arrived and then called the game off. The emergency services had advised that the player should not be moved until they arrived.

16th September 2017 - Lebeq edge out Wick in thriller

Lebeq United 3 Wick 2

Our visit today was to Oakland’s Park where Lebeq United league leaders were hosting second in the table Wick. Both Clubs have got off to a tremendous start to the season and going into this match they were level on points but the visitors have played a game more.

The home side went hammer and tongs right from the off and a break down the right by Rick Davis cutting in to bring a fine save from the Wick keeper Tyler Edmunds. Wicks first attempt on goal after six minutes was a break by Sam Thomas down the left and a fine cross into the six yard box that was hooked away by Lebeq. A few minutes later a Dan Sheldon shot from the edge of the box went over the top. A minute later the Lebeq defence cleared off the line again from a Sheldon shot. At the other end Elan Plummer cut in from the flank but then shot straight at Edmunds. Wick’s Sam Thomas had another great chance to give Wick the lead cutting in from the right flank his powerful shot was stifled by the home keeper Maciej Janakowski. Then Lebeq’s Rick Davis had a chance but lifted the ball over Edmunds but it drifted wide of the target. It was Davis again a few minutes later that brought another good save from keeper Edmunds to keep the score at nil – nil. On twenty six minutes Shah Bhakerd saw his shot fly off the shins of Edmunds. Wicks Sam Thomas got away down the right flank again but his final shot was blocked and out for a corner. A great save from home keeper Janakowaski pushing Joe Thomas’s 30 yard drive around the post on forty minutes kept the score goalless. The visitors were hit with two goals in two minutes from Twaine Plummer the first on forty three minutes when the Wick defence all hesitated and Plummer ran clear to score. The second right on half time came from some intricate passing from Lebeq with Plummer again allowed to run clear and hit the ball past Edmunds.

The second period started at a much slower pace with the home side looking to be content with the two goal lead that they had secured just before the break. Then midway through the half Wick gave the home side a warning that they were not giving up and a break down the right by Sam Thomas went just out of the reach of Alex Whale who had come on as substitute. Wick were back in the game on seventy two minutes when Sam Thomas cut in from the left and squeezed the ball past Janakowski to make it two – one. Then on seventy nine minutes the score was level at two – two as across from the left to the far post was headed back across the keeper by Alex Whale. Wick could well have won this game in the eighty fifth minute when Alex Whale had a great chance to score but hit the ball wide. The home side woke up again in the last few minutes of the game and snatched the three points on ninety minutes when Davis cut in from the right unleashed a shot that Edmunds parried but Marcel Smith was on hand to knock it home. There were six more minutes to play but Wick were unable to find another goal. An excellent game of football with both sides giving their all and the home side maintain their one hundred percent record.

AEK Boco 2 Southmead CS Athletic 1

Southmead CS Athletic took a first half lead on thirty eight minutes from a long ball up field that was completely misjudged by the home keeper Ross Britton leaving Aaron Pope a simple job of tapping the ball into an empty net. The home side trailing by that goal at the break hit back to equalise from a cross into the box by Jordan Scott that deflected off a Southmead defender into the path of Jack Winter to stab the ball home. Boco got the winner on seventy three minutes when Jack Winter passed the ball to Liam Jenkins to drive into the far corner. Boco hit the post later in the game and the visitors missed a good chance just three minutes from the end.

Rockleaze Rangers 0 Broadwell Amateurs 1

Rockleaze Rangers came back down to earth with a bump after scoring five last time out they failed to find the back of the Broadwell Amateurs net today. The only real chance in the first forty five minutes fell to Broadwell on twenty minutes from a Jamie Powell free kick that was met by Kristian Burnard but his effort flew over the bar. Rangers Marcus Williams struck the crossbar with a cracking twenty five yard shot early in the second half. The only goal of the game and what turned out to be the winner for Broadwell came from the foot of Ryan Wilks who curled the ball into the net from the edge of the box. Although Rangers tried there upmost to get on level terms the visitors defence stood firm and they went away with the three points.

Kingswood 1 Little Stoke 3

Kingswood suffered another home defeat this time at the hands of Little Stoke. Although the home side went ahead on twenty four minutes from the penalty spot put away by Nathan Croot after a Little Stoke player handled in the box they found themselves on level terms two minutes before the break when the ball was bobbling around in the box and Sam Thomas made space for himself to drive the ball home. A minute into the second half the home side were trailing two – one when the ball was squared back across the box for Nick Rugman to finish off. Stoke netted a third on eighty eight minutes from a counter attack again the ball was squared back across goal and Sam Hill was there to knock it in.

Stonehouse Town 0 Thornbury Town 4

After their exit from the GFA Cup last Wednesday against Roman Glass St George four – three with an excellent performance against higher placed opposition they travelled to Stonehouse Town and came away with a the three points with a four – nil score line. They took the lead as early as the sixth minute from a Toby Bennett pass that split the home defence allowing Craig Lancastle in to score. Stonehouse were stunned again in the eighteenth minute when Scott McLeod picked the ball up in his own half pushed forward and from thirty yards out struck an unstoppable shot that struck the upright on its way in. The home side had a chance a minute later when Ben Jones gave Lance Rennolds a chance but he headed wide. Rennolds had another chance to pull a goal back on twenty five minutes but the visitor’s keeper pulled off a great save. A great opportunity for the home side to get a goal back on thirty minutes when Lance Reynolds was brought down in the box for a penalty. It was left to Lee Keveren to take the penalty but he failed to beat the Thornbury keeper as again he pulled off a good save. Jonny Brodie had his header saved by the Thornbury keeper in the sixtieth minute and a couple of minutes later Barny Jones hit the crossbar. Even though the home side were having a good amount of the play but Thornbury stung them again on sixty five minutes with a third goal turned in by Asher Budd. The visitors keeper was obviously having a very good afternoon as brought off another good save to deny Lee Keveren and then kept Elliot King’s effort out of his net a few minutes later. Thornbury rounded the scoring off in the eighty ninth minute from a breakaway attack that Craig Lancastle finished off to make the final score four – nil.

Frampton United 1 Ruardean Hill Rangers 3

Ruardean Hill Rangers who were promoted to this league this season have also got off to a great start. They may have only played three games so far but have a one hundred percent record. This win today was an excellent result against last season’s runners up. It took twenty minutes to open the scoring and it went to Rangers with the Frampton players appealing for offside it was not given and Luke Johnson ran clear to score. Three minutes before the break United levelled the score from a corner headed on by Ryan Vincent for Lewis Wilton to knock it home. Frampton thought they had taken the lead in the fifty sixth minute when Stuart Maule’s effort came down of the crossbar but it had not crossed the line. The home side who had made all their substitutions were reduced to ten men in the seventy fifth minute after Michael Attwooll-Smart picked up a serious injury and had to leave the field. Rangers capitalised on this and went ahead in the eighty sixth minute Shaun Tingle tapping the ball in from a corner. Then three minutes later rangers netted a third from a cross from the right that was tapped home from eight yards by Luke Johnson.

Hanham Athletic 0 Patchway Town 0

A goalless encounter at Hanham Athletic where today’s visitors were Patchway Town. The home side had two great chances in the first five minutes but Giovanni Fisher was guilty of missing both. Just on the half hour towns’ Mike Hodge saw his free kick fly just the wrong side of the upright. Luke Simmons rasping drive was well saved by the Patchway keeper on sixty five minutes and then on eighty minutes the best chance of the afternoon fell to Patchway’s Matt Davis who was clear on goal with only the keeper to beat but shot wide. In the eighty eighth minute Hanham had George Latham sent off for an off the ball incident.

9th September 2017 - AEK Boco see off Henbury

AEK Boco 2 Henbury 0

AEK Boco are still unbeaten after their fourth game of the season and today’s win at home to Henbury pushed them up to fifth place in the table. Although Henbury put up a good fight in this game and had their fair share of the possession they were unable to muster any real chances against a very stubborn home defence. Boco were unlucky in the eighth minutes when Harrison Kyte’s shot rattled the crossbar and a minute later Jack Winter’s shot rattled the crossbar but on both occasions the ball was cleared. The home side always looked dangerous on the attack and were awarded a free kick on the left around thirty yards out, Liam Crewe hit a hard low shot at the target Henbury custodian Lewis Carr could only parry the ball and Jack Winter following up drove the ball home. A great break down the left by Darren Werrett and a great cross into the six yard box should have brought a second goal for Boco but nobody was able to get on the end of it. A hard storm of rain made the surface slippery and when Boco were awarded another free kick in almost identical spot Liam Crewe again fired a low shot straight at Carr but this time the keeper held on to it. Harrison Kyte made a great run down the left and cut in but his shot was deflected for a corner. Right on half time Carr made a great save to deny Boco a second and keep them in the game.

Henbury’s first real chance to get on the score sheet fell to Andy Dickinson on forty nine minutes as he broke in to the Boco box and then failed to get his shot on target. Just a minute later a dreadful pass back from midfield by Henbury fell short of his team mate Shaun Heal and only some desperate defending eventually got the ball clear. Boco went two up on fifty four minutes with a great move down the left the ball hit long to Darren Werrett who rounded his marker and squared the ball back from the goal line for Jack Winter to drive home for his second. Henbury were given a great chance to pull a goal back on fifty eight minutes when Andy Dickinson was brought down in the box for a penalty. Shaun Heal took the spot kick which went high over the bar. As time went on Boco created several more chances and could well have scored several more goals but for the Henbury keeper Lewis Carr who saved well with his feet on three separate occasions.

Wick 2 Hanham Athletic 1

Wick have moved level on points with the Lebeq United who were not in action today but Wick have played a game more and have an inferior goal difference. Sam Thomas should have given Wick the lead as early as the third minute but with just the keeper to beat he shot wide. Just two minutes later he made up for that miss when his shot took a defection but ended up in the Hanham Athletic net. George Cryer might have done better from a Danny Sheldon cross and then Hanham’s first effort on goal saw home keeper Tyler Edmonds save well. A second goal for the home side on twenty five minutes from a headed ball that found Sam Thomas whose shot was parried by the visitor’s keeper but Danny Sheldon following up slotted the ball home. Hanham had a little more possession in the second half and Edmonds in the home goal was tested on several occasions. The visitors’ did get a consolation goal three minutes into time added at the end of the game put away by Luke Bunting.

Patchway Town 3 Rockleaze Rangers 5

An eight goal thriller at Scott Park where Rockleaze Rangers ran out five – three winners over home side Patchway Town Rangers went ahead on six minutes from a cross that Carl Lakey headed home at the far post. Town had a great chance to level on twelve minutes but Dan Dunts header was well saved by Rangers keeper Ashley Newman. Just a couple of minutes later the home side were on level terms as a corner was headed on by Dunt and Matt Davis finished it off. Rangers retook the lead on nineteen minutes from a thirty yard Brad Thomas shot that flew into the Town net. Rangers then made it three – one on sixty minutes when Marcus Williams cut in from the flank before driving the ball home. On sixty eight minutes it was four – one to Rangers and it was a great passing move finished off by Williams for his second. Geraint Williams pulled one back for the homes side to make it four two but then came two late goals one from each side. Zach Dale’s smart finish put Rangers five two up right on time and then Matt Davis scored a third for Town two minutes into time added.

Little Stoke 2 Hardwicke 1

Little Stoke came from a goal down to record a second win over Hardwicke in successive weeks. Last week was a Cup win this week it was back to league action. Stoke had two chances in the first twenty five minutes which involved Jordan Yeo both efforts being well saved by the visitors keeper. Stoke fell behind in the thirtieth minute when Will Matthews cross was turned in by Tobie Webb. Yeo and Sims set up Sam Hill with a good chance but he failed to beat the keeper. In the next seven minutes Kieran Williams had three good chances to pull a goal back for the home side but poor shooting and a couple of good saved from the Hardwicke keeper meant they still trailing with the break approaching. Then right on half time Stoke levelled. A corner came in was headed on by Matt Price and Sam Hill was at the back post to slide the ball home. It was Hill who got the winner for Stoke on fifty minutes and it came from a cross from Williams again to the far post where Hill was waiting to knock it in. Jordan Yeo had one more chance to make it three but again he failed to beat the Hardwicke keeper.

9th September 2017 - GFA Trophy

Broadwell Amateurs 1 Ruardean Hill Rangers 3

What a draw when this came out the two sides from the Forest pitted against each other with Ruardean only reaching this level this season. The home side got off to a bad start with Chris Addis being red carded for two yellow cards leaving them with ten men for a big part of the game. Ruardean took the lead from the penalty spot on forty two minutes put away by Luke Johnson. Broadwell levelled the score in the fifty seventh minute from a move that involved Sam Keetch and Jon Atkinson who laid the ball through to Harry Williams to score. Rangers were always quick on the counter attack and Luke Johnson netted a second to put then two – one up. A thunderous shot by Mitch Griffin secured Rangers passage into the next round.

Shirehampton 2 Kingswood 0

A quick exit for Kingswood as they went down two – nil to Shirehampton from the Somerset County Football League. It was a goal in each half that sealed their fate as the home side took the lead from a Jordan Whittaker shot from outside the box that flew into the top corner and a second on sixty eight minutes from Mark Johnson.

Frampton United 5 Southmead CS Athletic 1

Frampton United cruised into the second round with this convincing win over Southmead CS Athletic. Ryan Vincent struck the upright for the home side on four minutes and then against the run of play Southmead’s Ernesto Correa gave them the lead. A minute later Ryan Vincent hit the post then three minutes later he levelled for the home side. Southmead’s Shauib Blake hit the crossbar on twenty three minutes. Frampton went ahead on forty three minutes as Steve Jackson headed on for Zak Tyers to net - then two minutes later Steve Jackson headed home from a corner. In the fifty eighth minutes Ryan Vincent finished off a cross from Nathan Dennis and Ashley Kirby netted number five in the eighty second minute.

2nd September 2017 - League Cup Sponsored by Boca Teamwear

All Cup action this week as the preliminary and first round of the Les James League Cup got under way. Some early shocks as both finalists from last season AEK Boco and Broadwell Amateurs were heavily beaten.

Ruardean Hill Rangers 2 Stonehouse Town 2 (played at Stonehouse)

Today’s game at Stonehouse Town was going really well for Ruardean Hill Rangers leading two – nil then in the fifty eighth minute they had Kane Fellows sent off.

Stonehouse had an early chance when a ball knocked into the box was headed goalwards by Lee Keveren but straight at keeper Aaron Underwood. Rangers first attack on eight minutes saw a goalmouth scramble where home keeper Robert Beebe saved the ball ran loose but somehow scrambled away. Rangers were unlucky not to have gone one up in the eighteenth minute when a cracking shot from Luke Brown struck the upright. A minute later Town’s Tom Beard cleared off line from a Luke Johnson effort. Kane Fellows got his thirty yard free kick on target but it went straight to keeper Beebe. A tremendous shot from Luke Johnson on thirty two minutes was pushed around the post by Beebe. At the other end Underwood saved well from Barney Jones free kick over the wall. Right on half time a poor ball out from Beebe was intercepted by Luke Johnson who coolly slotted the ball home to give Rangers the lead.

Rangers got off to a flyer in the second half and increased their lead in the first minute when a shot on goal was poorly dealt with by the Town defence and Johnson was on hand to net his second. Town looked to get back in the game and pulled a goal back on fifty four minutes when Underwood parried the first shot but Barney Jones picked up the loose ball to fire home. Then four minutes later Fellows was sent off and Town started to put the pressure on. Liam Walsh went close with a dipping shot that went just over the bar and then Rangers scrambled the ball away from another Town attack. Town were on level terms in the seventy sixth minute Lee Keveren knocking the ball in after Underwood only managed to parry the first shot on goal. The game finished all square and had to be decided from the penalty spot. Stonehouse Town go through to the next round after winning the shootout four – three.

Henbury 1 Thornbury Town 3

Henbury are ruing the chances they had to in the first half that would probably have given them passage into the next round. As it turned out they lost the game three – one to visitors Thornbury Town. Andy Dickinson found himself clear on goal with just the keeper to beat on ten minutes but shot wide. Thornbury had the ball in the Henbury net on the half hour but it was ruled out for a foul by scorer Craig Lancastle. After thirty five minutes Henbury’s Dan Dodimead also had a great chance to score but he shot wide of the target as well. However the home side did take the lead in the forty fourth minute from an Adam Rosser free kick that was completely misjudged by the Thornbury keeper and Jack Bebbington was left to head the ball into an empty net. It took the visitors just a minute to level the score when Brandon Benjamin broke clear to send the ball past keeper Lewis Carr. then in time added at the end of the first half Carr brought off a great save to deny Benjamin getting a second. Thornbury took the lead on sixty minutes when the Henbury wall all jumped from a Toby Bennett free kick and the ball went under the wall and past the stranded Carr. Town made the game safe just five minutes later from a break down the right and Benjamin swept home the resulting cross.

Wick 5 Broadwell Amateurs 0

Last years losing finalist Broadwell Amateurs had no answer to high scoring Wick going down five – nil. James Hubbard getting his third hattrick of the season for the home side. A great through ball from Mike Hardiman sent James Hubbard free to open the scoring on six minutes. Hubbard netted his send from a Dan Sheldon cross to make it two. The visitors did get the ball in the Wick net on Twenty five minutes but it was stuck off for offside. Hubbard then hit the crossbar on forty eight minutes from a corner. Wick made a double substitution on sixty three minutes bringing on Alex Whale and Sam Baber and that paid off handsomely as Alex Whale curled the ball home from a free kick on sixty six minutes. Hubbard then completed his hattrick in the seventy fifth minute and the other substitute Sam Baber netted the fifth in eighty fifth minute.

  • Ruardean Hill Rangers (Orange) v Stonehouse Town (Black/White), Images courtesy Peter Langley

  • Ruardean Hill Rangers (Orange) v Stonehouse Town (Black/White), Images courtesy Peter Langley

  • Ruardean Hill Rangers (Orange) v Stonehouse Town (Black/White), Images courtesy Peter Langley

  • Ruardean Hill Rangers (Orange) v Stonehouse Town (Black/White), Images courtesy Peter Langley

  • Ruardean Hill Rangers (Orange) v Stonehouse Town (Black/White), Images courtesy Peter Langley

  • Ruardean Hill Rangers (Orange) v Stonehouse Town (Black/White), Images courtesy Peter Langley

  • Ruardean Hill Rangers (Orange) v Stonehouse Town (Black/White), Images courtesy Peter Langley

  • Ruardean Hill Rangers (Orange) v Stonehouse Town (Black/White), Images courtesy Peter Langley

Frampton United 5 AEK Boco 2

Frampton United’s Shaun Lawson hit a hattrick as they put out last seasons winners AEK Boco at the Bell Field. The home side went ahead after just four minutes Lawson turning in a cross from the flank. Lawson made it two – nil with a teriffic shot from the edge of the box before Darren Werrett pulled a goal back with a header on fourteen minutes. Lawson then netted his third to complete his hattrick before Werrett almost got a second but Marklove saved well from the headed attempt. Frampton made it four in the thirty first minute with a cracking thirty yard drive from Ryan Vincent. Boco got a second on sixty three minutes when Werrett was brought down in the box and Liam Crewe converted the penalty. Matt Cook got the home sides final goal when they were awarded a penalty Cook took the kick it was saved by keeper Joe Pople but Cook scored from the rebound. The end of the game was soured when Pople was sent off for kicking the ball straight at Cook following the penalty

Rockleaze Rangers 0 Lebeq United 4

Lebeq United are through the next round after scoring four times in the second half of their game against Rockleaze Rangers. A goalless first forty five minutes came to life in the second half and Rangers had the first chance to go ahead but Carl Lakey’s effort o0n goal went wide. Lebeq opened the scoring in the fifty seventh minute Nathan Halls through ball was put away by Rick Davis. Four minutes later it was two – nil as Twaine Plummer headed home from a corner. Davis then sent over a cross for Plummer to get his second on sixty five minutes. Elan Plummer then gave Rick Davis the opportunity to net his second in the eightieth minute. Lebeq finished the game with ten men when Ibrahima Sarr was sent of a minute later.

Gala Wilton 6 Southmead CS Athletic 1

A convincing first victory for the Gloucester side Gala Wilton. A Hattrick from Lee Allen and a double from Tom Dunford with Rylan Clarke netting the other. A cross come shot from Tom Dunford got the home side on the way after fifteen minutes. Lee Allen swivelled in the box on twenty one minutes to net the first of his three. Ryan Clarkes one- two with Jack Jeramia on twenty seven minutes resulted in the third for the home side. Lee Allen then drifted past two defenders before unleashing a shot that flew into the top corner made it four – nil before the break. Allen completed his hattrick two minutes into the second half with a one on one with the keeper. The visitors got on the score sheet in the fifty eighth minute Marcus Taylor completely unmarked on the far port reduced the arrears. Then two minutes from the end Tom Dunford raced through to complete the scoring.

Patchway Town 0 Kingswood 3

A hand ball on eight minutes gave Kingswood the chance to take the lead from the penalty spot put away by Nathan Croot. A crisp shot from Mason Lewis after a mistake in the home defence made it two nil to Kingswood. Patchway’s Dan Dunt was unlucky with a free kick early in the second half the visitor’s keeper pulling off a good save. The visitors netted a third on sixty five minutes with a cracking shot from Jordan Sims that hit the top corner of the net. The home side went close near the end but just could not find the visitor’s net. For the second week running Patchway had a player dismissed this time it was Raphael Waugh for a second yellow card.

Hardwicke 0 Little Stoke 1

Hardwicke had the first chance to open the scoring on twenty five minutes when Tobie Webb beat the keeper but it hit the bar. Ten minutes later Stoke keeper Amin Jones kept his side in the game with a great save from Craig Harris. The game had to wait until the seventy eighth minute for the only goal of the game and it went to Little Stokes Matt Simons. Late on Tobie Webb rounded keeper Jones only to see his shot cleared off the line.