league logo

MARCLIFF Gloucestershire County Football League

sponsor logo

Ron's Match Reports

27th January 2018 - Stonehouse hit five

Another four postponements again this week due to inclement weather conditions.

Lebeq United closed the gap on Thornbury Town to 4 points and have a game in hand. Wins for Frampton United and Stonehouse Town moved them up the table as well.

Stonehouse Town had the lions share of the possession against today’s visitors Little Stoke and showed their intensions right from the off. Stoke keeper Amin Jones pulled off a great save to deny Liam Gale pushing the ball around the post for a corner on 16 minutes. The home side continued to press and opened the scoring on 21 minutes the ball hitting the upright and then being sent across goal where Andy Maryon was waiting to head home. Just 4 minutes later a mistake in the visitors defence let Liam Gale in and as he entered the box he was brought down for a clear penalty. Gale himself took the kick and hammered the ball past Jones. Little Stoke won their first corner on 32 minutes on the right and a great cross into the box was abruptly ended when goalkeeper Adam Clark was clearly push trying to get to the ball. Just a couple of minutes later Stoke were unlucky when a cracking shot from Kieron Williams struck the crossbar. In the 37th minute the home side took a 3-0 lead with a break down the right and a great cross in for Adam Ireland to strike the ball past Jones from the edge of the box. On 40 minutes Stoke had a chance to pull a goal back but Khalil Lamir with a clear shot on goal hit it straight into the arms of Clark

Stonehouse hit Stoke hard in the first 3 minutes of the second half they broke down the left the ball was fed into the centre and Alex Kibble completely unmarked struck an unstoppable 30 yard shot past the hapless Jones. At the other end Clark was called into action to push the ball out for a corner from a Kieron Williams shot. From the resulting corner the ball was cleared up to the left flank then pushed into the middle where Adam Ireland made space to fire a shot into the top corner. Trailing 5-0 at this stage the visitors were not dispirited and Billy Mitchell looked to have shaken off his markers but then stumbled over the ball. Stokes Jack Burgess hit a good shot straight at Clark and this stage the home side became complacent and sloppy when Tim Williams hit a harmless ball back to his keeper Clark but the custodian some how missed the ball and it rolled into the net to make the score 5-1. 3 minutes later another sloppy mistake by central defender Dave Apperley gave Stokes Dean Patterson the chance to drive a low shot past Clark from the edge of the box. After that goal the home side woke up again and pushed Stoke hard but the visitors defended stoutly to prevent any further score-line.

Lebeq United’s 5-2 victory over Patchway Town has closed the gap at the top to 4 points, but they were surprised in the 7th minute by Patchway when Dave Pritchard rose above the home defence to head home following a corner. 5 Minutes later the home side levelled but it was a little fortunate as Shah Bhakerd’s cross was turned into his own net by Joe Leslie. Lebeq’s Elan Plummer then set about completing a hat-trick the first of which came in the 50th minutes bursting past four Patchway defenders and sending the ball past the hapless keeper Jamie Boulton. Plummer netted his second fifteen minutes later with a 25 yard shot that dipped over Boulton. He completed his hat-trick in the 70th minute with a 35 yard shot that swerved past Boulton into the top corner. On 83 minutes against the run of play Patchway snatched a second goal Phil Vice heading in a cross from close range. In the final minute of the game Cameron Brown completed the scoring for Lebeq.

  • Stonehouse Town (Black/White) v Little Stoke (Blue), Images courtesy Peter Langley

  • Stonehouse Town (Black/White) v Little Stoke (Blue), Images courtesy Peter Langley

  • Stonehouse Town (Black/White) v Little Stoke (Blue), Images courtesy Peter Langley

  • Stonehouse Town (Black/White) v Little Stoke (Blue), Images courtesy Peter Langley

  • Stonehouse Town (Black/White) v Little Stoke (Blue), Images courtesy Peter Langley

  • Stonehouse Town (Black/White) v Little Stoke (Blue), Images courtesy Peter Langley

  • Stonehouse Town (Black/White) v Little Stoke (Blue), Images courtesy Peter Langley

  • Stonehouse Town (Black/White) v Little Stoke (Blue), Images courtesy Peter Langley

  • Stonehouse Town (Black/White) v Little Stoke (Blue), Images courtesy Peter Langley

  • Stonehouse Town (Black/White) v Little Stoke (Blue), Images courtesy Peter Langley

On a heavy pitch at Hardwicke the home side ran out 5-2 winners against today’s visitors Southmead CS Athletic. James Ratcliffe missed a couple of early chances for the home side before they eventually took the lead on 26 minutes from a cross by Ratcliffe that was headed down by Will Matthews for Craig Harris to score. Ratcliffe then got on the score sheet himself when he broke down the right cut in before firing the ball into the visitors net. Just before the break Southmead pulled a goal back when Josh Bowering found himself completely unmarked and drove the ball home. Pat Vernall got the ball into the Southmead net on 50 minutes but it was ruled out for pushing by Rob Hine. Rob Hine made up for that misdemeanour in the 61 minute when he sent a bullet header from a cross into the Southmead net. Hine got a second on 71 minutes this time volleying in from a Mark Carter pass. The visitors then surprised the home side when Bowering again found space to drive the ball goal-wards Hardwicke keeper Perks got a hand to it but it crossed the line. Mark Carter rounded it of for the home side beating several defenders and slotting home with 5 minutes to go.

Frampton United took on Henbury at the Bell Field and took the 3 points with a 4-1 success. Ryan Vincent had a great chance for the home side after 6 minutes but failed to beat the Henbury keeper. Then Nathan Dennis thought he had scored for Frampton but it was ruled out for offside.

The homes side did eventually make the break through on 37 minutes when Ryan Vincent set up Manolo Espada to give them the lead. A Kris Bulley goal on 48 minutes made it 2-0. Henbury hit back through Tom Patterson on 58 minutes, but Ryan Vincent hit a third for the home side in the 70th minute. Frampton made sure of the points in the 89th minute when Stuart Maule robbed the ball of a Henbury player and ran clear to net a fourth goal.

20th January 2018 - Thornbury and Stonehouse finish all square

Another four fixtures fell foul of the inclement weather conditions leaving just four that were completed.

In cold damp conditions leaders Thornbury Town played hosts to title challengers Stonehouse Town at the Mundy Playing Fields. The game was very competitive with both sides trying hard to win the game right from the off and throughout the ninety minutes. Stonehouse made an early break through when Liam Gale fired a brilliant free kick from just out side the box into the top left hand corner giving Tom Sheppard in the home goal absolutely no chance. Just 3 minutes later a shot from Adam Ireland just skimmed past the Thornbury post. The home side started to get more possession as the game went on and in the 16th minute saw the visitor’s keeper Adam Clark make two absolute brilliant saves in succession to keep Thornbury out. The home side equalised on 38 minutes when they won a tackle around 30 yards out and Marcus Wormwell broke into the box on the left, slid the ball across to Craig Lancastle who progressed to edge of the six yard box and then squared it back for Wormwell to drive home.

The second period saw the visitors push the home side hard and had a lot of the ball. On 52 minutes Stonehouse thought they had taken the lead when Gale’s cross was sliced into his own net by Pete Fowler but protests from the home side led to the Referee having a long conversation with his assistant before giving a free kick to Thornbury as one of the Stonehouse players had strayed offside. The home side were under quite a lot of pressure and gave away numerous free kicks to try and stop the visitors getting into scoring positions and from the resulting free kicks there were no chances created. Right at the end the home side brought on Nathan Irwin and he almost snatched a winner for Thornbury as he burst into the Stonehouse box letting fly from around 16 yards but the shot went across goal and past the far post. Not a lot of chances crated but an excellent game of football.

Two teams fighting for survival in the league Patchway Town and Hanham Athletic came up against each other at Scott Park this afternoon. The early exchanges went to the visitors having most of the possession. Then in the 24th minutes the home side struck to give them the lead and it came from a Sam Finn through ball to David Ishi who struck the ball into the bottom corner past the Hanham keeper Max Heavan. A Joe Dolby shot from outside the box on 35 minutes led to the second goal for the home side his shot was parried by Heaven but Sam Finn was following up to steer the ball into the net. A minute into the second half Antonio Nurse struck the crossbar for the home side. Hanham brought on James Fry in the 65th minute and from his very first touch was only just wide with his shot. Dan Rees had a good chance to increase the home sides lead but shot over and with 3 minutes left James Fry hit the crossbar for the visitors. Right on time Dan Rees had another good chance to make it three but again missed the target. This win lifts Patchway out of the bottom two.

A goal spree at Ruardean Hill Rangers with ten goals, with the larger share going to the visitors Frampton United. The weather was poor with the game being played in fog, but it did not deter ether side in very difficult condition. In the 11th minute home keeper Aaron Underwood did well to push the ball out for a corner, but from that corner the visitors opened the scoring when Nathan Dennis fired home. Frampton doubled there tally on 21 minutes when Frazer Wilson netted a second. On 34 minutes it was 3-0 as Myron Turner dummied his way past several defenders before sliding the ball through the keeper’s legs. The home side got one back on 39 minutes when one of the Frampton defenders handled the ball and Shaun Tingle sent the ball into the net past James Marklove. Manolo Espada then made it 4-1 on 48 minutes when he scored direct from a corner and 2 minutes later Lewis Wilton got on the score sheet as he latched onto a long ball over the home defence and passed the ball into the net. On 55 minutes Kris Bulley got the first of his hattrick pouncing on a mistake by Underwood to tap the ball in. At the other end Marklove brought off a great save to deny Robert Adams getting a second for the home side. However on 76 minutes Ruardean did get a second when Kane Fellows headed home from a corner. Frampton were not finished and two late goals in the 88th and 90th minute from Bulley completing his hattrick making the final score 8-2 to the visitors.

Lebeq United moved back into second place in the table with a 2-1 win at Wick. This was another top of the table clash with Wick just above their opponents at the start of the day. Lebeq went ahead in their first attack on the home goal on 8 minutes the ball being played wide out to the right and then delivered back into the box where keeper Tyler Edmunds attempted to save but the ball ran loose to Shah Bhakerd to slide the ball home. A good chance for the home side to level on 38 minutes when Joe Thomas fired a low cross into the visitor’s box it found Allen Williams in a shooting position but the united defence blocked the effort. Then a 30 yard power driver from Joe Thomas was really well saved by the visitor’s keeper Marcin Janakowski low down to his left. Just 2 minutes later Wicks Shaun Morris went very close the ball just going the wrong side of the post. Lebeq got a second a minute into the second half from a poor clearance from the home defence and Cameron Brown finished it off. Allen Williams missed a great chance to pull a goal back on 75 minutes, but with just 3 minutes left on the clock the home side did eventually reduce the arrears when Mike Hardiman scored from the penalty spot. In the very last minute a corner from the home side almost gave them the chance to level but Lebeq managed to clear.

13th January 2018 - Broadwell take points at Stonehouse Town

Thornbury Towns win at Kingswood keeps them clear at the top by six points but there are new contenders for the title in Broadwell Amateurs after their win at Stonehouse Town.

The bottom five teams all lost today.

Stonehouse Town went down 2-0 at home to Broadwell Amateurs and lost ground after their excellent win in the week at Lebeq United. The first chance of the match fell to Broadwell on 20 minutes a powerful strike from Liam Thomas that hit the post. Just 4 minutes later the visitors took the lead from a free kick that was headed in by Jordi Sheen. The home side then missed a couple of good chances when Jonny Brodie headed over and Liam Walsh in acres of space also missed the target. 5 minutes before the break another chance went begging for the home side when Tim Williams headed Lewis Fogg’s free kick over the bar. 5 minutes into the second half Town had another good chance to level the score from a corner that was only partially cleared by Broadwell but centre back Jordan Rouse missed an open goal. Broadwell scored a second on 78 minutes from a free kick that struck the crossbar fell nicely to Greg Lewis to finish off.

A heavy defeat for Southmead CS Athletic at Frampton United going down 7-1. A high Lewis Wilton shot on 6 minutes caught the keeper out and the ball dropped through his hands into the net. The visitor’s first chance came after 20 minutes a shot from Simeon Hopkins that was saved by keeper Marklove. On 40 minutes a Manolo Espada free kick was headed back across goal and Lewis Wilton finished it off. 3 minutes later Frazer Wilsons shot was deemed to have crossed the line for a 3-0 lead. The second half saw a hattrick from Ryan Vincent the first coming on 60 minutes. Then on 75 minutes Southmead scored their only goal a shot from Lucas Spindola that hit the inside of the post on its way in. Three more goals were to follow for the home side Jack Bartman on 80 minutes then a double from Ryan Vincent on 86 and 89 minutes.

Local derby Hanham Athletic v Wick ended in a convincing victory for the visitors 6-0. The homes side had the first chance to open the scoring when Sam Brown’s free kick was well saved by keeper Edmunds. The opening goal for the visitor came in the 21st minute from a scramble in the Hanham goal and Allen Williams got the final touch. a very short time had elapsed when wick went 2-0 up after Sam Brown put through his own goal. Two further goals just before half time Joe Thomas running clear of the home defence on 42 minutes and a second for Allen Williams a tap in from close range made it 4-0 at the break. In their first attach after the break Jake Robertson made it 5-0 and on 60 minutes Robertson scored his second to make the final score 6-0.

Thornbury Town continue to lead the table and gained another 3 valuable points at Kingswood today. A well worked move down the right on 7 minutes saw Craig Lancastle turn a good cross into the net for a 1-0 lead. The home side lost possession around 16 minutes and Brandon Benjamin capitalised and put Thornbury two up. The second half saw the home side create several chances but failed to get the ball into the visitors net then 3 minutes from the end a long ball over the home defence found Lancastle to lob the ball over Fox to make it 3-0.

AEK Boco were only leading 1-0 at the break but this goal came from a brilliant eight pass move that was saw Jack Green fire the ball into the net. The visitors were unlucky when their keeper had to leave the field on 40 minutes with an outfield player taking his place. Early in the second half Callum Ball decided to go on a solo run before hitting a 30 yard shot past the Gala keeper. Harrison Kyte made it 3-0 when the ball deflected straight to him and he hit his shot from just inside the box into the bottom corner. Luke Basseng raced onto a through ball to complete the scoring on 72 minutes.

Hardwicke had most of the play in the first half in their home fixture with Little Stoke but it remained goalless at the break. Steve Bick was brought down in the box early on but the match official waved play on. Then midway through the half Paul Carter was just over with a good shot. On 35 minutes a cross from Will Higgins to Paul Carter saw Amin Jones pull off a great save for Little Stoke. Just before the break Jones again saved well to deny Craig Harris. The home side took the lead on 52 minutes from a corner after Rob Hines header was cleared off the line the ball was cleared for a second corner and this time Carters cross was powerfully headed in by Will Matthews. Several more chance by the home side went begging before Little Stoke levelled the score on 65 minutes with a free kick from Luke Sperring that whipped past the wall and bobbled into the Hardwicke net. The winner on 78 minutes for the home side stemmed from a great piece of dribbling fro Matthews who smashed the ball against the post by Will Higgins was following in to knock the ball home.

Henbury had a tough game against today’s visitors Ruardean Hill Rangers but managed to win the game by the odd goal in three. The home side took an early lead when a Jack Mills free kick was spilled by keeper Underwood and Tom Palmer knocked the ball in. Underwood then saved well from Keiron Cooper. The visitors thought they should have had a penalty on 21 minutes but it was waved away. Andy Dickinson then missed a glorious chance on 30 minutes from a Cooper cross for the home side. A corner from Luke Cox on 40 minutes that sped across the box was missed but Aaron Rosser but George Loud was on the far post and he made no mistake for a 2-0 lead at the break. 5 minutes into the second half Ruardean pulled a goal back and it came fro Charley Mason’s free kick from the edge of the box deceiving the home keeper. The visitors lost Luke Johnson on 70 minutes after a clash with Aaron Rosser. The visitors almost levelled on 80 minutes when Shaun Tingles shot hit the post and a few minutes later Tingle saw his goal bound effort just tipped over the bar by keeper Simon Bone.

Rockleaze Rangers ran out 4-2 winners over local rivals Patchway Town. Dan Webb gave the home side the lead on 17 minutes from the penalty spot. Patchway keeper Boulton saved well from Ali Boyer on 26 minutes. Rangers took a 2-0 lead on 55 minutes when Kyle Ford slid the ball over the line from a Hammond free kick. 5 minutes later it was three as Boyer raced away from the Patchway defence. Town hit back just a minute later with a fantastic goal from just inside the Rangers half by Shuah-Anthony Okonmah that dipped over the head of keeper Will Stabb. On 86 minutes the Patchway centre back Pritchard misjudged his headed clearance and the ball dropped to Dan Webb to chip the ball over Boulton from 20 yards. Patchway score a second on 89 minutes when Dan Rees fired home from 12 yards.

6th January 2018 - Stonehouse hold off Patchway Fightback

Patchway Town v Stonehouse Town was our destination today.

This was the first fixture that Patchway had played since they lost heavily at AEK Boco before Christmas. The way it started with Stonehouse Town opening the scoring in the first minute of the game looked as though they were going to be on the end of another possible hiding. Stonehouse dominated the first 28 minutes and at that stage they were leading 5-0. The opening goal came from a long ball up to Liam Gale with Lee Keveren finishing off his cross. Just 2 minutes later it was 2-0 this time Luke Soule just drifted past his marker and gave home keeper no chance. Patchway did have their first chance on 15 minutes but Antonio Nurse shot wide of the goal. The visitors third on 17 minutes was an own goal after a scramble in the goalmouth. Liam Gale then missed a great chance for the visitors and at the other end David Ishi was through on goal but could not get the ball past Adam Clark in the visitors goal. Another dreadful mistake on 23 minutes allowed Luke Soule through clear on gaol to make it 4-0 and 5 minutes later a corner from the right to the near post was headed on and Lee Keveren hooked the ball into the net. The home side barely ventured into the Stonehouse half but on 34 minutes they broke down the left and the cross into the box was met by David Ishi whose shot hit the keeper on the way into the net. Within a minute it was 5-2 when the home side strung several good passes together and then fed the ball through to Ishi to net his second.

The second half again was dominated by the visitors then on 58 minutes the home side broke away and Joe Dalby ran through on goal only for his shot to be smothered by Clark. Just 2 minutes later Patchway stuck their third goal of the game when Dan Rees chased the ball to the bye-line cut back then drove the ball in off the keeper from a very tight angle. The visitors continued to press hard but somehow the home side managed to keep the ball out of their net with some stout defending and several great saves from their keeper Luke Bragg with one save in particular a point blank shot from Keveren. It finished 5-3 to the visitors but Patchway can take heart from this result after that hammering several weeks ago.

Lebeq United closed the gap on leaders Thornbury Town who were not in action today with a 4-0 win at home to Hanham Athletic. The home side almost went ahead on 15 minutes but Hanham keeper Max Heaven brought of a great save to deny Leroy Swaby. United did open the scoring on 25 minutes when a brilliant pass from Mohamed Eljadei was controlled by Shah Bhakerd and blasted into the net. It was almost two on 45 minutes but Cameron Browns shot went just wide. On 55 minutes Brown drifted past four Hanham players before setting up Bharkerd to score his second. Bharkerd might have completed his hattrick but with clear shot on goal failed to beat keeper Heaven. On 75 minutes the home side made it 3-0 when Warren Collins scored his first goal for the club. The home side completed the scoring on 77 minutes when Abdirizak Hussein ran clear to slip the ball past the hapless Hanham keeper.

Broadwell Amateurs 3-0 win over Kingswood moves them up into third place in the table. Kingswood had a glorious chance to go ahead on 20 minutes but somehow Kristian Burnard managed to clear off the line. Kingswood keeper Chris Fox then brought off a great save to deny Liam Thomas on 33 minutes. The home sides Harry Williams could have done better with a couple of good chances in the first half but it ended all square with neither side able to break the deadlock. On 55 minutes Liam Thomas rounded his defender and then squared the ball across goal for Harry Williams to give the home side the lead. Then on 67 minutes Williams scored again for a 2-0 lead. The final goal on 90 minutes was a fine individual effort from Jordi Sheen.

Rockleaze Rangers at one stage were leading in their visit to Wick but eventually lost 4-2. Wick’s opening goal came on 20 minutes from a cross from the left being picked up by Joe Thomas and his low shot flew under keeper Will Stabb. A fantastic 20 yard drive from Rangers Dan Bendall was just tipped over the bar by keeper Tyler Edmonds. Allen Williams then missed a great chance for the home side to increase their lead. On 41 minutes Rangers got the equaliser – a long free kick from the right was met by Ali Boyer whose looping header went over Edmonds and dropped in the net. In the 50th minute a chance opened up for Rangers when home keeper Edmonds dropped a simple ball but they managed to get it clear. Wick then thought they had a certain penalty but the Referee waved play on. Just after this Rangers went into the lead when Marcus Williams turned sharply and fired a shot into the bottom corner. Wick hit back to level on 77 minutes when Ben Stiff scored from just inside the box. Rangers Ali Boyer then missed a great chance to put his side back in front and at the other end Mike Hardiman struck the crossbar. Wick went in front on 89 minutes when Rangers gave away a free kick right on the edge of the box and Shaun Morris hit the top corner. Just a minute later a Rangers defender brought down Dan Payne in the box and Hardiman made it 4-2 from the spot.

GFA Challenge Trophy

The Marcliff Gloucestershire County Football League have two Clubs in the Semi-finals after Hardwicke and Ruardean Hill Rangers won their quarter-finals games today.

Hardwicke knocked out Toolstation League Premier side Cadbury Heath 1-0 whilst Ruardean Hill Rangers went through after drawing 2-2 with Somerset County Side Shirehampton and then won 7-6 on penalties.

At Hardwicke Cadbury Heath should have taken the lead on 30 minutes but Sasha Tongs point blank header went straight into the arms of keeper Chris Perks. The home sides first effort on 35 minutes was wasted as Tobi Webb gave striker Will Matthews a clear shot on goal but he hit it way over the bar. The home side thought they should have had a penalty on 42 minutes when Tobi Webb was brought down in the box but the referee thought otherwise. Right at the start of the second half Tong was guilty of missing another point blank header. The home side took the lead on 52 minutes when Paul Carter sent over a cross that was met by Steve Bick whose header was saved by the Heath keeper but the ball went to Tobi Webb whose acrobatic overhead kick nestled in the back of the Heath net. The home side had to withstand a lot of pressure before the final whistle blew that sent them into the Semi-finals.

Ruardean Hill Rangers playing at this level for the very first season also find themselves in the Semi finals. Although they did have to come from behind twice during the 90 minutes. There were several chances for both sides in the first 45 minutes but at the break it was still 0-0. Shirehampton went ahead on 66 minutes with a sweet move that saw Joe Harvey find the back of the home net. Then Underwood brought off a great save to deny Scott Bamford making it 2-0. On 71 minutes Rangers drew level after a cross from Luke Johnson was headed home by Nick Jayne. Shirehampton got a second with just 5 minutes to go when Scott Bamford’s free kick beat Underwood. A last gasp equaliser right on 90 minutes from Bobby Walding sent the tie into penalties. Three great saves from home keeper Aaron Underwood and the winning penalty scored by captain Dan Mason gives them their deserved Semi-final place.

Frampton United were also in action in the Trophy today but unfortunately were defeated 2-0 by Hellenic League Premier side Brimscombe & Thrupp. It was early action for home keeper James Marklove pulling off a good save after 5 minutes to keep his side in the game, but he could not prevent the visitors taking the lead on 20 minutes as a header came back off the crossbar and Christian Turner following up drove the ball home. The home side were unlucky a few minutes later when a Fraser Wilson shot was deflected by Ryan Vincent but it went the wrong side of the upright. A second goal for the visitors on 28 minutes this time headed homed by Kyle Phipps made it comfortable for Brimscombe. Although there were no further goals in the second half the home side had a chance when Manolo Marquez Espada’s shot from the edge of the box was well saved by the visitors keeper.