News and Match Reports

31st August 2019 - Henbury and AEK Boco share spoils in six goal thriller

Ron Holpin

Top of the table clash between Henbury and AEK Boco ended in a 3-3 draw. It was a very competitive game with Boco coming back three times to level the score. The opening goal came on 12 minutes from a Sean Heal free kick just inside the Boco half on the left that he floated to the far post and the unmarked Ross Jones headed past keeper Nathan Hawkins. Boco levelled on 18 minutes when Henbury lost possession in midfield the ball was pumped out to Jason Thatcher who cut down the left and fired a low cross into the six-yard box and Jake Slocombe slid the ball into the net at the far post. He collided with Henbury keeper Luke Cox scoring that goal and had treatment before he was able to continue. On 26 minutes a dreadful mistake by Boco’s Sam Hippisley let Dawid Regula free to run clear and fire Henbury into the lead once more. In time added at the end of the first half Hippisley almost made amends when he saw his goal bound shot pushed around the post by Cox.

Boco were on level terms again in the 55th minute Kane Manning latching onto a long ball into the box to fire past Cox. In the 70th minute the home side made it 3-2 from another free kick and again it was Ragula who headed the ball past Hawkins. Just 4 minutes later Boca drew level again as Jack Winter dribble past several defenders before squaring the ball for Manning too strike a low shot to Cox’s left that the keeper got a hand to but could not keep it out. Henbury finished with 10 men on the park after Jack Bebbington was sent to the Sin-bin.

Wick did Hardwicke no favours when they hammered them 6-0 at home today. Wick had two early chances before they opened the scoring on 20 minutes when Sam Thomas played in Sam Duggan. Hardwicke had a great chance to level on 30 minutes but Steve Bick who had found space in the home box lost the chance as he was pushed wide by keeper Joe Pople. The home side went 2-0 up on 32 minutes from a looping header from Mike Hardiman and on 40 minutes Sam Thomas smashed home number three. Hardwicke’s Will Higgins went close but saw his header tipped over the bar by Pople. On 70 minutes the home side made it 4-0 when Hardiman headed home his second. Max Barker then made it 5-0 from a Sam Thomas cross and late in the game Shaun Morris put Joe Thomas through to make it 6-0.

Broadwell Amateurs are ruing the three great chances they had in the first 45 minutes after they conceded three in the second half to today’s visitors Quedgeley Wanderers. On 65 minutes Nathan Payne cut into the box to put Wanderers 1-0 up. On 80 minutes Wanderers made it two when Kyle James-Bryan finished after James Bevan headed back across goal. They made it 3-0 when Nathan Payne intercepted a cross ball and sent Rory Cawkwell through to score.

Rockleaze Rangers redeemed themselves after losing 4-0 last week and turned it round to a 4-0 victory this week. Unfortunately, it was Bromley Heath United on the receiving end and that was their third defeat in a row conceding four goals in each game. The home side went ahead after 4 minutes when Dan Webb finished off a great cross from Nick Jones. Bromley Heath’s Todd Carter was unlucky when his effort cleared the bar after a goalmouth scramble. On 27 minutes Bromley’s Sam Edwards also went close but the shot went just the wrong side of the upright. Jones was causing all sorts of problems down the left and sent in a great cross on 44 minutes that Rory Langdon finished from close range. On 72 minutes Dan Webb grabbed his second, again the cross came from Nick Jones. Bromley’s Harry Maggs then struck the crossbar on 80 minutes before Joe Weare finished the scoring for Rangers with a low shot into the corner.

Little Stoke carried on where they left off last week and gained a 4-2 victory at Hanham Athletic. Kahlil Lamir gave Stoke a 25-minute lead after turning sharply in the box and 5 minutes before the break Blaine Skuse ran clear to make it 2-0. On 60 minutes Adam Grinter went close with a header for the home side but it was Kieran Williams who increased the Stoke lead on 65 minutes. Stoke made that 4-0 in the 70th minute with a simple tap in from Ethan Tucker and then two minutes later Stoke had Alex Hill dismissed. Jack Fry pulled a goal back for the home side on 75 minutes and Adam Grinter struck again for the home side in the 85th minute. Little Stoke finished the game with nine players as Kahlil Lamir got his marching orders right at the end.

Frampton United were back in action again this week and made it three wins out of three with a 4-2 victory over today’s visitors Patchway Town. Jonathon Lewis gave Frampton the lead on 4 minutes but Patchway hit back to level on 18 minutes with a strike from Jacob Cox. Jack Bartman then restored the lead for the home side on 26 minutes. Jessie Hudson made it 2-2 in the 52nd minute before two late goals from Steve Jackson and Jonathon Lewis with his second saw the points go to United.

Gala Wilton made it a hattrick of wins with a 4-2 success over Ruardean Hill Rangers. This was Rangers first outing this season and they will be disappointed with the result. Whereas Gala Wilton are on a high after netting four goals again this week. It was Rangers who took the lead after 8 minutes Luke Johnson turning in a cross into the box. Martin Smith made it 1-1 on 14 minutes and it remained that way until the break. Gala retook the lead in the 63rd minute with a magnificent header from Ryan Dobbins and 2 minutes later it was 3-1 when Dobbins laid the ball on for James Bowers to drive the ball home. On 82 minutes a great shot from Sam Webb took a slight deflection on its way into the net to make it 4-1 then in time added at the end of 90 minutes Luke Brown scored a second for Rangers with a very neat finish.

24th August 2019 - Sharpness keeper stars as they defeat Wick

Ron Holpin

Our travels this week took us to Hamfields Berkeley where Sharpness were hosting Wick and ran out 3-1 winners in a very exiting second 45 minutes. Both Dan Gayner and Alex Gayner had shots well saved on 13 & 16 minutes by Wick keeper Joe Pople, then on 18 minutes home keeper Dan Hobbs took matters into his own hands to clear the ball after the home defence had given the ball away on the penalty spot and cleared the it up field. The Sharks keeper brought off another good save to deny Sam Thomas on 23 minutes Dan Sheldon tried his luck from 30 yards out but was wide of the target. Hobbs was very alert when a ball was lifted over the home defence and reached the ball before Wicks Sam Thomas could get onto it. At the other end Sam Strickland should have made his effort count after the ball had been headed back across goal but he shot wide. The home side piled on the pressure in the last five minutes of the half and Strickland had his goal bound effort well saved Pople. Right on half time the home side made the breakthrough from a corner from the right that was headed away pumped back into the middle and Dan Gayner slipped the ball past Pople.

The first 20 minutes of the second half was fairly even then in the 21th minute a great break down the left by the Sharks saw Dan Gayner latch onto a brilliant low cross into the box and slide the ball past Pople. Just 2 minutes later it was 3-0 to the home side when Brad Hewer broke into the box with a superb individual piece of skill and was eventually brought down and substitute Tariq Soliman netted the resulting penalty. Wick hit back and a minute later Sam Thomas who was through on goal had a great chance to score but for a great save by home keeper Dan Hobbs fending the ball away with his legs. Within minutes Thomas was put clear again but again Hobbs denied the Wick striker. Wick were fighting hard and from a corner sent over from the right ben Stiff managed to bundle the ball home. Wick were now on top for this period and Hardiman saw his shot well saved by Hobbs and then the keeper brought off two more great saves to deny Wickthat second goal. The home side saw the game out but without any doubt the man of the match was Sharpness keeper Dan Hobbs

Little Stoke jumped from bottom place to almost halfway with a superb 4-0 win at home to Rockleaze Rangers. With nothing much happening in the first 45 minutes then 4 minutes into the second half a mazy thirty-yard run from Kahlil Lamir saw a brilliant strike from 18 yards out fly into the Rockleaze net. Just 3 minutes later Stoke were 2-0 up when Alex Hill won the ball in midfield and threaded it through to Finlay Dorrington to finish off. Stoke made it 3-0 on the hour mark when Rees Hedges headed in from a corner sent over by Alex Hill. Blaine Skuse made it 4-0 with a simple tap in on 75 minutes.

AEK Boco have gone top of the table after today’s 2-0 win over local rivals Hanham Athletic. A fantastic crowd of 314 turned out on a lovely day to watch this local derby. Both sides had several chances in the first half but it remained a stalemate at the break. The home side went ahead 2 minutes into the second half with Jake Slocombe getting on the score sheet for the third week running. Boco made sure of the three points with 5 minutes to go when Kane Manning score again for the home side.

Bromley Heath United have had a hard start to their season going down 4-1 at Gala Wilton this week. They started brightly and took a 1-0 lead on 21 minutes when Lewis Skyers the Gala keeper was adjudged to have fouled Shaun Edwards in the box giving the visitors a penalty. Nathan Rose made no mistake from the spot. The visitor’s keeper made several good saves during the half and the visitors went into the break with that 1-0 lead. 2 minutes into the second half the mood changed when the home side were awarded a penalty and Ryan Dobbins netted the resulting spot kick for the first of his three goals of the afternoon. The second Gala goal on 60 minutes came from James Bowers who cut in from the left and drove a great shot past keeper Hall. The game changed on 65 minutes when Nathan Rose was sent off for a late tackle. Gala made it 3-1 on 75 minutes when Dobbins finished off a James Bowers cross and he went on to complete his hattrick on 88 minutes when he tapped in a Martin Smith cross.

Patchway’s first fixture of the season ended in a 3-0 defeat at home by Broadwell Amateurs. The home side had a great chance to take the lead after just 3 minutes but Ash Wells hit the crossbar with his shot. Broadwell took the lead on 32 minutes when Liam Thomas had a simple task of rounding the Patchway keeper Sam Burgess. On 51 minutes Patchway’s Dan Rees hit the bar when it looked easier to score. Broadwell got a second on 62 minutes when Ollie Hunt slipped the ball past Burgess. Patchway then hit the bar again on 75 minutes this time it was Jesse Hudson with the goal gapping. Liam Thomas wrapped the game up for the visitors in the 86th minute when he coolly lobbed the ball over the keeper.

Hardwicke have got off to a dreadful start to the season and currently find themselves propping up the table. This week they were beaten ta home by Henbury who find themselves in second place. David Regula hit the cross bar from 25 yards after receiving a great pass from Ross Jones early on. Henbury grabbed the lead on 34 minutes when Regula cut in from the left and unleashed a shot that flew into the top corner of the net. 2 minutes into the second half the home side were down to 10 men when Matthews was sin-binned, then on 64 minutes Henbury struck again when Keiron Cooper set up Regula to net his second. On 68 minutes the home side had another dismissal that meant an uphill struggle. Henbury had a penalty miss on 85 minutes when Adam Rosser shot was saved by keeper Hall. In the dying minutes Keiron Cooper slipped the ball past Hall to make the final score 3-0.

17th August 2019 - Frampton give Bromley Heath tough welcome to the County League

Ron Holpin

A tough start for new comers Bromley Heath United who had to travel to last season’s League Runners-up Frampton United for their very first fixture in the Marcliff Gloucestershire County Football League and were well beaten by four goals to nil. The home side started well and created a couple of half chances in the first couple of minutes, then on 7 minutes the Bromley Heath keeper Ryan Hall did well to push a Ryan Vincent free kick around the post. Bromley’s first attempt on goal after 11 minutes came from Joe Goss but the shot was blocked. The home side took the lead on 14 minutes following a corner that came out the Manolo Marquez Espada to drive a crisp shot past Hall from just inside the box. Espada had another 25-yard shot on goal on 19 minutes but it went wide of the post. The visitors mustered a good attack down the right but the cross into the box was missed by everyone. The home side increased their lead on 28 minutes with a good build up and a chip across goal for Espada to head home. Bromley Heath struggled in the first 45 minutes and only managed to force one corner right at the end of the half.

The home side struck a hammer blow after just 39 seconds of the second half when an in-swinging cross from the left was bundled in by Jack Bartman. The visitors did see more of the ball in the second half but failed to test home keeper Steve Sparrow and as the game progressed and both sides making numerous substitutions the home side started to push forward again and both Espada and Vincent might have scored but for some good defending. With the game coming to the last stages a good break down the right by Frampton’s Jack Gardner saw his pin point cross headed in by Ryan Vincent. There had been several stoppages for injury in the second half and the visitors were hanging on in time added with some desperate defending to keep the score at 4-0.

Wick picked up their second win with a 3-2 victory over Quedgeley Wanderers. It started well for the home side but they went behind on 11 minutes when Nathan Payne found himself unmarked in front of goal and hammered the ball past keeper Joe Pople. A few minutes later Payne had another glorious chance to make it 2-0 but missed the opportunity. Then on 20 minutes Quedgeley’s Kyle James-Bryan was only just wide with a header. The home side drew level on 25 minutes from a low Joe Thomas cross put away by brother Sam Thomas. Early in the second half the home side had several chances to take the lead before making it 2-1 on 53 minutes when Joe Thomas had his shot blocked, but Mike Hardiman was sharp to react and drove the ball home. Wick then score again on 60 minutes when a headed ball back across goal was finished off by Dan Stephens. On 78 minutes Wanderers were awarded a penalty after keeper Joe Pople fouled in the box and Louis Peyton netted the resulting kick.

Hanham Athletic picked up three valuable points at home with a 2-1 win over Hardwicke. The home side got off to a flying start after just 3 minutes when Sam Brown’s shot on goal was handled, he took the spot kick himself to give them a 1-0 lead. Hardwicke had a great chance to level on 10 minutes when Tobie Webb was brought down in the box but Bamford saved Paul Carters spot kick. Hardwicke were awarded a second penalty on 39 minutes after Bamford brought down Steve Bick and this time Carter made no mistake with the penalty. The home side grabbed the winner on 85 minutes Jack Fry slotting home after Luke Corbiere’s shot had been saved by the visitor’s keeper.

Gala Wilton gained a good win at home to Little Stoke with a 4-1 victory. It was fairly even until the 35th minute when Gala gave away a free kick around 22 yards out and Kieran Williams drove a superb shot into the top corner of the net to give Stoke a 1-0 lead. Right-on half-time Gala levelled when Martin Smith headed home a Martin Freeman free kick. Early in the second half the home side went 2-1 up with Smith heading a second this time from a cross by Kieran Mace. Jordan Molineux then set up Sam Webb for the third on 55 minutes and Jay Dare finished the scoring off when he found himself unmarked in the box and neatly chipped the ball over the keeper.

Rockleaze Rangers great start to the season last week was shattered this week when they were defeated 3-1 at home to AEK Boco. Boco who had won a close game last week against Gala Wilton had their striker Jake Slocombe to thank as he scored a hattrick. Rangers had a good chance to open the scoring early on when Jake Hannam through ball to Dan Webb saw the striker shoot straight at the Boco keeper. Jake Slocombe opened the scoring for Boco on 25 minutes after some good play from Fred Taylor-Fox. It was 2-0 on 36 minutes when Slocombe latched on to a ball over the Rangers defence and slotted it home. On 53 minutes Slocombe completed his hattrick picking up a loose ball after Liam Powell’s shot had been saved. A consolation goal for Rangers on 81 minutes Boco’s keeper spilled Dan Webb’s shot and Rory Langdon netted the rebound.

Henbury and Sharpness had to be content with a point each in a 1-1 draw. Adam Rosser went close for the home side early on and Sharpness had an early chance as well. Alex Gayner gave the visitors the lead in the first half with Henbury Kieran Cooper levelling on 65 minutes.

10th August 2019 - AEK Boco strike late to seal win over Gala

Ron Holpin

AEK Boco won their first home fixture of the season against Gala Wilton 4-3 with the winning goal coming in the first minute of time added at the end of 90 minutes. Boco had taken the lead on 11 minutes from a ball hit into the box Gala keeper came for it and it rebounded to Fred Taylor-Fox to slot home. Gala levelled on 33 minutes from a long ball down the right to James Bowers who fired the ball past keeper Mitchell Norman from a wide angle. Three minutes later Gala were in front when another long ball down the right was again picked up by Bowers to fire another angled shot past Norman. Boco were handed a way back into the game a minute before the break when Jake Slocombe scored the first of his three goals from the penalty spot.

Five minutes into the second half Slocombe had a great chance to put Boco ahead again but shot straight at keeper Skyers. On 67 minutes a long ball from keeper Skyers from a free kick found Ryan Dobbins who neatly chipped the ball over Norman for a 3-2 lead. The visitors shot themselves in the foot again in the 83rd minute giving away a second penalty which was driven home by Slocombe. Gala then lost Bowers who was sent to the Sin-Bin in the 88th minute and in the first minute of time added Slocombe netted his third to give AEK a 4-3 lead. In the 4th minute of time added - Jay Dare missed a great chance to level and in the final minute Gala finished with 8 players as two more were sent to the sin-bin.

New Club Sharpness got off to a winning start with a 2-1 victory over Hanham Athletic. They took the lead on 23 minutes when a cross from Alex Gaynor was tapped in by Will Lacey. They went further ahead when Brad Hewer netted from the penalty spot. On 33 minutes the home side had a great chance to make it three but Tom Patterson’s shot was well saved by the visitor’s keeper Ashley Bamford. The home side had several more chances that could well have given them a comfortable lead early in the second half before Hanham pulled a goal back from the penalty spot after a Brad Gibbs rash tackle, Sam Brown making no mistake from the spot.

The other new Club in action today was Quedgeley Wanderers who were hosting Henbury the home side going down 3-1 with all the goals coming in the second half. Davaughn Martin giving the visitors the lead on 47 minutes. It remained 1-0 until the 83rd minute when Mason Payne set up Jordan Rouse to level the score. The home side then gave away two late goals the first on 87 minutes a penalty put away by Harvey Moran and in the 92-minute Adam Rosser completed the scoring. Henbury will be pleased with the start to the season whilst Quedgeley may need a few games to settle in.

Rockleaze Rangers got off to a good start at Hardwicke coming away with a 3-0 victory. Fairly even until the 35th minute when Nick Jones latched on to a ball over the top and drove it home from the edge of the box. Midway through the second half the home side missed several really good chances with both Steve Bick and Toby Webb the culprits. After the home side had been pushing hard, they got caught on the break and Rory Langdon tapped home from a good cross into the box in the 81st minute. Then minutes later in an almost identical situation Langdon score his second and sealed the 3 point for Rangers.

Frampton Rangers were at Little Stoke for this opening game of the season and went home with a 3-1 win. A shot from the edge of the box by Steve Jackson on 26 minutes gave the visitors the lead. It remained like that until 63rd minute when a mistake in the home defence allowed Jackson to pounce for his second. The home side pulled it back to 2-1 on 74 minutes Ethan Tucker heading home a great cross into the box. Another mistake by the home defence in the 86th minute gave Ryan Vincent the chance to make it 3-1 and seal the points.

Wick got off to a flying start winning 4-2 at home against todays visitors Broadwell Amateurs. The home side almost opened the scoring on 5 minutes when Alex Fox’s header was cleared off the line. Sam Thomas gave Wick the lead when he curled a brilliant shot past the visitor’s keeper from 20 yards. A few minutes later he was only just over with another excellent shot. On 24 minutes Sam Thomas became the provider as he set Shaun Morris up to make it 2-0. Broadwell’s first shot on goal did not come until the 42nd minute and was wide of the target. Wick made it 3-0 when a cross into the middle was dummied by Sam Thomas and Dan Stephens slotted home. On 53 minutes a great free kick from Broadwell’s Jamie Powell saw Ollie Hutton power his header home. Wick were not finished and made it 4-1 on 68 minutes with a brilliant piece of individual skill from Shaun Morris. The visitor’s hit back again and scored a second on 76 minutes Tom Hall driving the ball home from the edge of the box.

10th August 2019 - Pens and Badges for Sale

The league has some 50th Anniversary Pens and Badges for Sale

Pens at £3, Badges at £3 or £5 for a pair

To send the pens and badges by post it will cost £1.15 (Second Class) £1.35 (First Class)

Please make Cheques payable to Gloucestershire County Football League
Or Direct Bank Transfer
National Westminster Bank
Sort Code - 60-01-29
Account Number - 50003666

Please send to:
Ron Holpin
27, Brockley Close
Little Stoke
BS34 6HA.


If you wish to contact me by email:
Tel: 01454 612842 or 07816 947169

31st July 2019 - Les James League Cup First Round Draw

The first round draw was made at the pre-season meeting last evening with the League Chairman Peter Langley drawing the home teams and League Treasurer Mike Wheatley drawing the away teams.

First out of the hat were league newcomers Sharpness with Hardwicke drawn to make the short journey down the A38.

Hanham Athletic were the next home side drawn and they will face Ruardean Hill Rangers who face a long trip from the Forest of Dean.

Last years Semi-Finalists Gala Wilton will face Henbury.

Another new side Bromley Heath United will entertain last years League runners-up Frampton United.

Broadwell Amateurs will welcome Rockleaze Rangers to their upgraded ground.

Quedgeley Wanderers complete the set of new sides being drawn at home and they will welcome last years cup runners-up AEK Boco.

Little Stoke will begin the defence of the Les James League Cup at home to Wick.

Last out of the hat were Patchway Town, who recieve a bye and so become the first team in the Second Round.

All games to be played on Saturday 7th September with a 3 PM kick-off

16th June 2019 - Marcliff Gloucestershire County League AGM 2019

Image Gallery available Here

4th June 2019 - League Constitution 2019/20

Lebeq United are promoted to the Western League as Champions

Stonehouse Town are promoted to the Hellenic League following a request from the FA.

Southmead CS Athletic are Relegated

Bromley Heath United are promoted from the Bristol Suburban League.

Sharpness are promoted from the Gloucestershire Northern Senior League.

Filton Athletic from the Bristol Suburban League and Quedgeley Wanderers from the Gloucestershire Northern Senior League have been invited to fill the vacancies in the league

Constitution is as follows subject to an appeal from Cribbs Reserves from the Bristol Premier Combination

  • AEK Boco
  • Broadwell Amateurs
  • Bromley Heath Athletic
  • Filton Athletic
  • Frampton United
  • Gala Wilton
  • Hanham Athletic
  • Hardwicke
  • Henbury
  • Little Stoke
  • Patchway Town
  • Quedgeley Wanderers
  • Rockleaze Rangers
  • Ruardean Hill Rangers
  • Sharpness
  • Wick