26th March 2020 - Season Abandoned

The season has been abandoned due to the Coronavirus outbreak. All results are expunged.

3rd February 2020 - Les James League Cup Semi-Final Draw

The Semi-Final draw for the Les James League Cup sponsored by Boca Teamwear is as below.

  • AEK Boco v Sharpness
  • Wick v Gala Wilton

All games to be played on Saturday 4th April with a 3 PM kick-off

18th January 2020 - Sharpness progress in League Cup

Ron Holpin

Les James League Cup Quarter Finals sponsored by Boca Teamwear

Sharpness progress to the Semi-final with a 2-1 victory over Ruardean Hill Rangers . The home side started well and went close on three occasions early on. On 16 minutes Tom Freeman headed wide following a free kick and then Will Lacey skied a great chance over the bar a couple of minutes later. Brad Hewer was next up and should have scored but shot straight at keeper Tim Yemm. Rangers first chance came in the 34th minute when Steve Coombs broke through the home defence and then saw keeper Dan Hobbs pull off a great save. Sharpness went ahead in the 36th minute with a cross come shot from Sam Strickland that flew over Yemm and into the net at the far post. The Sharks should have made it 2-0 on 39 minutes when Alex Gayner hit a good shot on goal it came back out to him and only a brilliant clearance off the line by Stuart Corwell-Boote prevented it going in. Sharpness did however make it 2-0 just before half time when Alex Gayner’s shot came back off the post straight to brother Dan who slotted the ball past keeper Yemm.

Rangers came out with renewed vigour in the second half and should have pulled a goal back when Shaun Tingle had a clear shot on goal but hit it straight into the arms of Hobbs. Just 5 minutes later they did get a goal back and it came after a terrific run by Luke Brown who laid the ball off to Steve Clarke to drive past Hobbs. The rest of the second half became a shoddy affair with numerous bookings on both sides and lots of fouls that stopped the game flowing. Sharks had several half chances to increase the score-line and Rangers had a couple of free kicks around the edge of the box that came to nothing.

In the other Quarter-final that was switched to Gala Wilton due to Broadwell Amateurs pitch being unfit saw Gala go through to the semi-final 2-1. The hosts got off to a great start in the 1st minute with Martin Smith beating keeper Reed after Craig Howell had put him clear on goal. On 21 minutes Ryan Dobbins turned on the edge of the box and hit a great shot at goal but Reed was equal to it and brought off a good save. Broadwell should have equalised on 35 minutes when Gala keeper Brabham misjudged a cross, but Liam Thomas's header went wide when it was easier to score. Broadwell levelled the score on 73 minutes when Kristian Burnard lobbed the keeper after a great through ball from Greg Lewis. With 5 minutes left Gala grabbed the winner when Martin Smith bundled his way through the Broadwell defence to slot the ball past Reed.

11th January 2020 - AEK Boco into semi-final

Ron Holpin

AEK Boco go through to the Semi-final after beating Patchway Town 3-0 at Scott Park. All three goals came from leading goalscorer Jake Slocombe the first on 14 minutes when he chipped the Patchway keeper Burgess. He then scored two late goals the first on 75 minutes when he was put clear on goal and the third and final goal came in the 83rd minute with the same situation as the second a one on one with the keeper.

21st December 2019 - Wick strike late to progress in cup

Ron Holpin

A mixture of fixtures today with two in the league being completed, one in the Les James League Cup Quarter Final and a GFA Challenge Trophy game postponed from last week. Three others were postponed because of the weather conditions we have experienced this week.

Les James League Cup Quarter Final sponsored by Boca Teamwear

In the Les James League Cup Competition Quarter Final Frampton United had been drawn at home to Wick. With both Clubs in the top three in the table this was always going to be a tight affair and so it turned out to be. A very late goal by Wick sent them through to the Semi-Final. The open exchanges were fairly equal and the first attempt on goal came from Wick a shot from Sean Morris om 14 minutes which did not trouble keeper Pete Davis. A 25-yard drive from Joe Thomas on 20 minutes had Davis diving to his left to keep it out. Six minutes later a dangerous dipping shot from Mike Hardiman saw the keeper push the ball over the bar. A curling corner from the left from Wick beat all and skidded out at the far post. In the 30th minute Wick put together a very good move down the left which involved Alfie Clarke – Mike Hardiman and Joe Thomas which saw the shot from Thomas go just wide of the far post. Just before the break a rare attack by the home side saw Manolo Espada miss a really good chance to put Frampton in front.

The home side looked a better side in the second half and the pace of Ethan Dunbar was causing some concern in the visitor’s defence. He could have possible put Frampton ahead in the 56th minute when he got into a good scoring position but the final shot was poor. The home side had an even better chance to open the scoring in the 60th minute when Dunbar got behind the Wick defence and pulled the ball back for Manolo Espada but he miss-hit his shot which was then spilled by keeper Joe Pople and eventually finished up going out for a corner. The home side were showing their best form of the afternoon and in the 63rd minute might have scored but for a desperate piece of defending by the visitors the ball eventually being knocked away for a corner. Dunbar was at it again in the 79th minute with a good shot from the edge of the box that just cleared the bar. Wick rode the storm and went up the other end and Joe Thomas had his shot on target blocked by home keeper Davis. With the light fading quickly it looked as though the tie would have to be decided from the penalty spot but a break by Wick in the 89th minute saw Mike Hardiman fire his shot past Davis for a 1-0 lead. The home side pushed hard in the last few minutes of time added but the visitors held on for the win.

Les James League Cup sponsored by Boca Teamwear

7th September 2019 - Brown Brace see's Ruardean progress

Ron Holpin

Ruardean Hill Rangers are in round two after a 3-1 win at Hanham Athletic. The visitors started very lively and forced two corners in the first 2 minutes. Rangers thought they had taken the lead on 5 minutes when Luke Brown strode forward from midfield slipped the ball to Luke Johnson who coolly planted the ball into the net but he was just offside. The home side them had a good spell forcing three corners at the other end but none resulted in a goal. Then in the 27th minute Luke Brown picked up the ball 30 yards out just burst past four defenders and coolly slid the ball past home keeper Ashley Bamford a brilliant individual goal.

In the second half Rangers hit the home side with two quick goals Luke Brown broke down the right flank rounded the full back and pulled the ball back for Mitchell Griffiths to fire into the Hanham net. Just two minutes later it was three when Luke Brown hammered the ball past Bamford from ten yards. The home side were stunned but pulled themselves together and started to pass the ball around very well and almost got a goal back in the 57th minute but Jamie Fry headed just wide from a really good cross from Ben Francis. Their persistence paid off and on 67 minutes a great 20-yard shot from Sam Brown hit the back of the Rangers net. On 74 minutes the home side had a great chance to make it 3-2 when Connor Hartley was pushed down in the box for a penalty. Sam Brown then had the chance from the spot but his shot was brilliantly saved by Rangers keeper Aaron Underwood. The home side continued to attack but could not find a way through.

Last season’s winners Little Stoke went out at the first hurdle to Wick after the result ended 1-1 on 90 minutes. A very lack lustre first 45 minutes, and it failed to create very little until the 87th minute when Stuart Nelson’s through ball sent Blaine Skuse free to put the home side one up. Within 2 minutes Wick levelled the score from a Dan Sheldon 25-yard shot after the first effort had come back of the crossbar. It went to penalties and Wick go through 5-4.

Last season’s runners up AEK Boco travelled to Quedgeley Wanderers and after the final score finished 2-2, they progressed to the next round 5-4 on penalties. Boco went into the break with a 1-0 lead after Jake Slocombe had turned in a Kane Manning cross. In the 71st minute Wanderers levelled the score when Kyle James-Bryan slotted home from a good cross into the box. Slocombe then gave Boco the lead before Dorian Colling levelled for Wanderers once more. Wanderers had another great chance but Collings header went just wide and Josh Wilson hit the side netting.

Bromley Heath United’s first home game of the season was against Frampton United a team that they had met earlier in the season at Frampton and in that encounter, they were beaten 4-0. Things were just a little different today and they went ahead after 10 minutes from a free kick on the edge of the box fired low into the Frampton net by Luke Bessell. A Craig Mills half volley on 20 minutes levelled the score and then Bromley Heath missed to really good chances before Manolo Espada put Frampton 2-1 up with a rasping shot from the edge of the box. Just before the break home keeper Ryan Hall pulled of a great save to deny Frampton’s Adam Day. On 54 minutes the home side were on level terms as a long free kick from Luke Bessell was headed across goal by Jack Wooley and Sam Edwards scored with a half volley. Frampton pushed hard and Bromley had to clear off their line to stop them taking the lead again. Frampton pulled of a very good win in time added when the ball was whipped in to the near post and Craig Mills headed home.

Sharpness go through after a 3-1 win at home to Hardwicke. The home side had the ball cleared off the line in the first couple of minutes and then took the lead on 10 minutes when Finlay Small turned in a Dan Gayner cross. 15 minutes into the second half Hardwicke levelled the score when Steve Bick’s shot took a wicked deflection wrong footing the keeper. The home side retook the lead on 65 minutes when Dan Gayner followed up after Alex Gayner’s shot had come back off the crossbar. On 82 minutes the home side wrapped the game up from a Tom Freeman cross that the keeper spilled and Finlay Small was on hand to knock the ball home.

Broadwell Amateurs were paired against Rockleaze Rangers and progressed to the next round with a 2-0 win. They should have taken the lead on 40 minutes from the penalty spot, but Liam Thomas’s spot kick was brilliantly saved by Lewis Brodie. Thomas gave his side the lead on 61 minutes when he latched onto a loose ball in the box and gave Brodie no chance. His second on 80 minutes was a spectacular overhead scissors kick to send his team into the next round.

Gala Wilton are on a high at the moment and knocked Henbury out of the cup with a 3-1 home success. They started badly and a mix up in defence after just 2 minutes which gave Dawid Regula the chance to round the keeper and slide the ball into an empty net. They hit back on 14 minutes with a low drive from the edge of the box from Martin Smith. On 27 minutes they were in front Martin Smith and Ryan Dobbins combined to set up Kieran Brice-Ingles to make it 2-1. Gala scored a third on 66 minutes when Ryan Bobbins headed James Bowers cross in off the crossbar.

League Cup Sponsor

The Les James League Cup is sponsored by Boca Teamwear

Les James Cup 2019-20

AEK Boco Sharpness
Wick Gala Wilton
Round Two
Broadwell Amateurs 1 Gala Wilton 2
Frampton United 0 Wick 1
Sharpness 2 Ruardean Hill Rangers 1
Patchway Town 0 AEK Boco 3
Round One
Sharpness 3 Hardwicke 1
Hanham Athletic 1 Ruardean Hill Rangers 3
Gala Wilton 3 Henbury 1
Bromley Heath United 2 Frampton United 3
Broadwell Amateurs 2 Rockleaze Rangers 0
Quedgeley Wanderers 2 AEK Boco 2 AEK Boco win 5-4 on penalties
Little Stoke 1 Wick 1 Wick win 5-4 on penalties
Patchway Town BYE Patchway Town have a Bye to the second round