10th October 2020 - Bromley Heath stun Ruardean Hill in the League Cup

Ron Holpin


Unfortunately, we seem to be losing games every week at present due to Covid 19. This week being no exception with 6 of the 8 scheduled fixtures in the first round of the Les James League Cup Competition sponsored by Boca Teamwear taking place today, with a couple of surprise results.

The biggest result of the day in the Les James League Cup was a 7-1 win for Bromley Heath United at Ruardean Hill Rangers. Bromley had only managed one goal in their first four league outings but certainly turned it on today. Rangers had the first chance after 5 minutes but Taylor fired over the bar. Then on 20 minutes the Bromley keeper pulled off a great save to deny Steve Clarke, but it was Bromley who took the lead when Jack Withey headed in from a Free Kick. On 38 minutes they made it 2-0 after Antonio Nurse rounded Underwood before sliding the ball back for Withey to net his second. Just before the break Clarkes free kick just cleared the bar for the home side. In the 52th minute Aaron Underwood brought off a great save from Bromley’s Joel Mitchelmore. Luke Bessell made it 3-0 on 60 minutes with a great shot from the edge of the box and 5 minutes later Tiago Mateus scored after a scramble in the Rangers box. Clarke then hit the bar for Rangers on 70 minutes, but minutes later Antonio Nurse made it 5-0 to Bromley. Kaylen Edwards then chipped the ball over underwood for a 6-0 lead on 82 minutes and a minute later the visitors keeper saved well to deny Cornwall-Booth from scoring for Rangers. Rangers consolation goal in the 83rd minute was an own goal turned into his own net by Ollie Amos after Tommy Coleman has sent over a cross from the wing. Edwards netted a second late on for the visitors to send them into the second round.

AEK Boco who had won all previous four outings in the league travelled to Henbury for this first round Les James League Cup game the home side had previously played three and lost them all so the 2-0 win by Henbury was a great result for the Club. The first half possession was shared with the Boco keeper being the first to be tested. There were few chances and the home keeper had little to do either. The deadlock was broken in the 38th minute with some great skill from Thomas Butt who picked the ball up about 30 yards out slipped past a couple of Boco defenders before unleashing an unstoppable shot that flew past the Boco keeper. A few minutes later they were unluck when Hayden Lee’s 30-yard shot beat the Boco keeper but struck the upright. At the start of the second half Boco came out all guns blazing and really pushed the home defence hard; they had a few shots off target and home the keeper did well on several occasions taking the ball well on high crosses into the box. Boco should have equalised when Charlie Stevens drove the ball wide from 3 yards out. But after soaking up continuous pressure Henbury broke clear in the 75th minute with Joe Cox laying the ball on for Harvey Moran to look up and neatly curl the ball past the visitor’s keeper for a 2-0 lead. The visitors tried everything to get back in the game but the home defence held firm.

Gala Wilton were drawn against Quedgeley Wanderers in this the first round and after playing them earlier in the season and winning comfortable might have thought they were going to get an easy passage into the next round but Wanderers had other ideas. Gala did take the lead on 15 minutes when Jack Holmes cut in from the left got his shot on target but it took a slight deflection and put Chambers on the wrong foot and finished up in the back of the net. Wanderers hit back 7 minutes later Louis Peyton cutting in from the right and then craftily chipped the ball over Skyers in the home goal. Gala went back in front in the 32nd minute when a Jamie Bowers cross was handled in the box and Ryan Dobbins netted from the spot. 5 minutes later Gala were awarded a second penalty after Dan Gaynor was fouled in the box and Ryan Dobbins netted a second spot kick to make it 3-1. The home side had several good chances to increase their lead but both Jamie Bowers and Ben Sluman wasted chances by hitting the ball into the side netting. Wanderers got a second on 83 minutes after Kyle James-Byan was brough down in the box and Louis Peyton netted from the penalty spot. For the remainder of the game Wanderers pushed hard for the equalising goal but in the end, Gala held on for the win.

Rockleaze Rangers who are still unable to play at home played this cup game at Bristol Manor Farm and lost out to Hardwicke 3-2. Rangers went ahead on 19 minutes from a great through ball from Miles Hatfield for Sam Bailey to dink the ball over the visitor’s keeper. Hardwicke levelled on 26 minutes after Pat Vernall latched on to a ball spilled by the home keeper to make it 1-1. Rangers should have taken the lead but Bailey’s shot was well saved. Hardwicke went into the break with a 2-1 lead after Will Matthews scored with a diving header on 40 minutes following a Sam Mendes free kick. 10 minutes into the second half the home side were up against it again but Nick Jones cleared off the line. On 71 minutes Hardwicke made it 3-1 when Steve Bick played in Bradley Bevan to score. Rangers got a second on 83 minutes Jimmy Woolland’s shot hitting both uprights before nestling in the net.

Frampton United v Wick always going to be a close encounter and so it turned out to be with the 0-0 score-line after 90 minutes and the game being decided from the penalty spot. Wick had the first chance to open the scoring on 20 minutes but Aaron Taylor brought of a great save to deny Paul Coles after Jordan Yeo had sent in a great cross. Just before the break Nathan Dennis curled the ball around the wall but the Wick keeper Ash Wintle pushed the ball around the post. Wicks Shaun Morris had another good chance in the second half but the shot cleared the bar. With the game going to penalties both sides did not look like missing and it went to the sudden death before the game was decided in Wicks favour 9-8.

Broadwell Amateurs and Hanham Athletic were also unable to get a result in 90 minutes, this game also going to penalties to decide the winner. Broadwell took the lead when Dan Brain sent a long ball up to Danny Latham and his cross into the box found the unmarked Harry Williams to side foot the ball home. Hanham drew level on 30 minutes from a long ball over the home defence that found Ellis Kow on the far post to volley in. With no further goals in the second period It had to be decided from the penalty spot. The Home side eventually going through 3-1 after young goalkeeper Jack Watkins made three outstanding saves.

League Cup Sponsor

The Les James League Cup is sponsored by Boca Teamwear

1st September 2020 - Les James League Cup First Round Draw

The First Round draw for the Les James League Cup sponsored by Boca Teamwear is as below.

  • Gala Wilton v Quedgeley Wanderers
  • Sharpness v Shirehampton
  • Frampton United v Wick
  • Ruardean Hill Rangers v Bromley Heath United
  • Broadwell Amateurs v Hanham Athletic
  • Patchway Town v Little Stoke
  • Rockleaze Rangers v Hardwicke
  • Henbury v AEK Boco

All games to be played on Saturday 10th October with a 3 PM kick-off

Les James Cup 2020-21

Round Two
Round One
Gala Wilton 3 Quedgeley Wanderers 2
Sharpness Shirehampton
Frampton United 0 Wick 0 Wick win 9-8 on penalties
Ruardean Hill Rangers 1 Bromley Heath United 7
Broadwell Amateurs 1 Hanham Athletic 1 Broadwell Amateurs win 3-1 on Penalties
Patchway Town Little Stoke
Rockleaze Rangers 2 Hardwicke 3
Henbury 2 AEK Boco 0