13th May 2023 - Les James League Cup Final - Sponsored by Boca Teamwear

Jon Palmer


Broadwell Amateurs captain Jordan Locke recieves the Cup from League Chairman Peter Langley


Broadwell Amateurs Les James Cup Winners 2022/23


Broadwell Amateurs Les James Cup Winners 2022/23

Captain Jordan Locke held his nerve to convert two second-half penalties as Broadwell Amateurs hit back from a goal down to defeat Sharpness and lift the Gloucestershire County League Les James Cup.

Sharpness finished four places above Broadwell in the County League table this season and they led through Callum Dummelow's strike in first-half stoppage time.

During a cagey opening period devoid of clear chances, Sharpness goalkeeper Truan Taylor made one outstanding save to deny Jamie Belfitt in the 27th minute.

Substitute Kieran Bennett hit the post for Sharpness in the 52nd minute as Josh Loveridge's side looked for a second.

But the tie, played in front of a healthy crowd at Henbury FC in north west Bristol, began to turn in the 61st minute when Dan Brain was fouled in the box and Locke stroked his penalty into the bottom right corner to make it 1-1.

Suddenly it was all Broadwell and Brain saw a shot spooned away by Taylor before Nathan Davies lifted his effort over the bar with only the goalkeeper to beat two minutes later.

Jack Watkins denied Dan Turner with a fingertip save at the other end and Broadwell took the lead in the 73rd minute when Ben Fishwick cleverly diverted Brain's corner from the left into the net.

Davies played Brain through on goal 10 minutes from the end and he was brought down by the advancing Taylor, who was shown a straight red card. Sharpness had already used all three of their substitutes, so long-serving outfield player Tom Paterson was forced to don the gloves.

The first thing Paterson had to do was face another Locke penalty and he was sent the wrong way as the Amateurs' skipper made it 3-1 in the 82nd minute.

Broadwell saw out the remaining eight minutes, plus an additional six minutes, to ensure they would be taking the silverware back to the Forest of Dean.

It was the start of a highly pleasing afternoon for their manager Chris Brain, who is a Notts County fan.

The Magpies defeated Chesterfield on penalties to win their National League play-off and a return to the EFL after a four-year absence.

Broadwell Amateurs: J Watkins, J Morton, K Skidmore, A Creighton, D Hudson, N Davies, J Locke (c), B Fishwick, E Wilkins, D Brain, J Belfitt. Subs: J Knight, M Foxwell, H Knight, T Blaby, B Schiller.

Sharpness: T Taylor, R Cawkwell, J Priday, C Dummelow, I Thurston, J Rouse, W Tainton, B Gibbins, D Turner, A Higgs, T Frankham (c). Subs: T Paterson, J Russell, K Bennett, W Lacey, J Higgs.

Referee: G McNulty. Assistants : S Thorne, A Boubrahmi. 4th Official : O Spender.

Published on Gloucestershire Live with additional Photos Here

Les James Cup Sponsored by Boca Teamwear - Sharpness and Broadwell Amateurs reach the Final

Mark Simpson


It's Les James League Cup semi final time, and a crowd of 128 saw Sharpness defeat Little Stoke who had in fact won the last two competitions. Sharpness started brightly and thought they were in front when Tom Frankham’s corner was headed back across goal by Rouse to Thurston who thought he had scored but there was the matter of a defender in the way to clear. Alex Higgs then had a shot comfortably dealt with by Jarrett. After the initial 15 minutes Little Stoke grew into the game and had the better of the first half. Mike Hardiman had a chance to score but pulled his effort wide. Jordan Yeo had a chance to test Truan Taylor but his free kick effort was straight into the Sharks wall. Taylor had to be at his best on the half hour tipping Luke Meacham’s effort over the bar. Little Stoke kept pushing but Sharpness dug in the keep the scores level at the break. The second half was much the same with Little Stoke dominating and they got their reward in the 54th minute when a ball in behind James Priday found Jordan Yeo who beat his man and superbly crossed for Meacham to head home. The visitors piled on the pressure but couldn’t find that elusive second. In the end they were made to pay when a Will Tainton corner was headed home by Priday with seconds remaining, for what was The Sharks only real effort in the second half. So near to a third consecutive final for Little Stoke was now to be down to penalties. Sharpness won the shoot out 4-3 with Taylor saving the visitors fifth penalty.

The second semi-final at Pomphrey Hill saw Broadwell Amateurs through to the final dispensing with hosts Bromley Heath United. Another decent crowd of 75 saw a very tight even first quarter with no clear-cut chances. The first one fell to Bromley captain Jack Withey who from a corner had his acrobatic volley well saved by Jack Watkins. The hosts started to look threatening from a series of corners but failed to find the net. It wasn’t until the end of the half that the deadlock was broken, Dan Brain cleverly beating his man and delivered an excellent cross for Ethan Wilkins to score with a well-placed looping header. The second half was equally as tight and again chances were very limited. Broadwell went further in front on the hour, Ethan wilkins finding himself free just inside the box, after an uncharacteristic Bromley defensive mix-up, his shot hard and low finding the net despite Will Ferguson’s effort to stop it. There was no way back for Bromley and although they tried hard to get a consolation Broadwell held on to deservedly reach the final 2-0.

18th December 2022 - Les James League Cup Semi-Final Draw

The Semi-Final draw for the Les James League Cup sponsored by Boca Teamwear is as below.

  • Bromley Heath United v Broadwell Amateurs
  • Sharpness v Little Stoke

All games to be played on Saturday 25th February with a 2 PM kick-off

Les James League Cup - Sponsored by Boca Teamwear - Broadwell Amateurs overcome Hardwicke


Now to the cup and we start in the Forest where firstly Broadwell Amateurs moved into the semis against a hard working Hardwicke team and Ruardean Hill Rangers lost out on spot kicks to Sharpness. At the Hawthorns it was Hardwicke who took the lead 10 minutes in when young Skidmore gave away a penalty which Will Matthews tucked away. It took only five minutes for the home side to level, Ethan Wilkins jinked his way past the visitors defence and his shot was deflected in. Both sides enjoyed long spells of possession for the rest of the half with Locke hitting the bar for Broadwell and the visitors Furniss seeing his shot well saved by Watkins. The second half opened up bizarrely with Hall slipping when attempting to pick the ball up and with the goal at his mercy Taylor Blaby also slipped allowing a clearance to be made. The home side upped the pace of the game and Davies saw his header cleared off the line and Hall pushing Blaby’s shot wide. On 65 Dan Hudson found Wilkins unmarked in the box and his header flew in to the top corner 2-1. Hardwicke started to push to get back on terms and were duly rewarded with an exceptional goal with James Ratcliffe attacking down the right flank and squeezing the ball past the advancing Watkins and inside the post for 2-2. With the game looking to drift to penalties substitute Kieran James with some outstanding footwork changed the course of things, boxed in near the corner flag he flicked the ball up hit a perfect delivery into the six yard box for Wilkins to head home.. Hardwicke pushed for an equaliser and a failed attempt from a corner saw a Broadwell counter and a long pass into the area found Skidmore pushed over for a penalty which was duly dispatched by Jordan Locke for 4-2.

To Ruardean Hill where there was plenty of action at both ends and early on Shaun Tingle‘s 10 yard shot was charged down. On fifteen a good run by Alex Stephens set up Tingle who drove home from the edge of the area to put Hill in front. A few minutes later Hill’s Aaron Underwood was called into action tipping over from Will Tainton. Just before the half hour both teams were reduced to ten. Just after this Underwood was in action again with a point blank save from an Alex Higgs header. On thirty seven Underwood again saved from Higgs. A minute before the break came the Sharks equaliser from the spot Tom Frankham slotting home following a handball. Into the second half and a Higgs shot was deflected over. Five minutes in and Underwood saves after Morgan lost the ball. On 55 a great header from Brad Gibbs rattles the Hill crossbar following a corner. Ollie Mason’s free kick was well saved by Truan Taylor in the Sharks goal. Sharpness continued to press and Higgs headed wide at the back post. A couple of good saves by Taylor followed first from Ollie Taylor from distance and then from a Max Telling header. Two minutes from time a great save by Underwood took the game to penalties and the unfortunate John Sladen missed the only one to give it to the Sharks 5-4 after the 1-1 draw.

An interesting tie at Pomphrey Hill where Bromley Heath United took on Cribbs Reserves with the first half seeing some attractive football from both sides. Despite good spell of possession there were few clear chances with defences on top. Both Guthrie and Coleman in Cribbs midfield were showing good form as were Withey and Edwards for Bromley. On 40 minutes a good ball In by Sam Edwards was put narrowly wide by the advancing Alvin Nurse. Then right on half time a jinking run past defenders from Antonio Nurse was blocked by Harry Bridgeman only for Alvin to finish for 1-0. Bromley started the second period well and five minutes in it was two when Alvin’s cross was well controlled by Antonio coolly slotting past Bridgeman. The two goal margin was short lived when just five minutes later Jack Guthrie hit a fierce shot deceiving the keeper and into the net. The final half hour was competitive and close but no further goals and Bromley just edged it 2-1.

Finally to Gala Wilton’s Fourmile Gardens where a decent crowd of 85 saw an eventful feisty affair between the current league leaders and the cup holders Little Stoke. The game started fast and the hosts struck first. A long throw from Ben Sluman was headed on and Connor Walters fired a low volley in. Little Stoke replied on seven minutes when good work down the right from Jordan Yeo who engineered a cross headed by Luke Meacham, Todd Holder making a great save only for the ball to fall back to the No.9 who poked in. Gala retook the lead on 24 minutes when a meandering run from Sluman who picked out Alex Gayner beating his man and firing in at the near post. Little Stoke came back for 2-2 on thirty six minutes when the lively Yeo beat the full back smashed a low cross in for Meacham to grab his brace. The game somewhat turned five minutes before the break when Dan Gayner thought he’d got a penalty only to be waved away and the ball cleared away for a strong challenge between Kieran Mace and Alex Hill resulted in a red for Mace and the home side down to 10. Gala worked tirelessly in the second half and created good chances with Jordan Molyneux crashing a header off the bar. Gala pressed to snatch a winner but a long ball up by Little Stoke resulted in a free kick and Yeo delivered a dangerous ball in, Todd Holder parried and Luke Allen poked home for 3-2. Gala were awarded a very late penalty when Elliot Martin was fouled and up stepped Martin Smith to send the game to penalties but Connolly Jarrett made an outstanding save to send Little Stoke into the semis. It didn’t end there as celebrations in the box led to yellow cards to Little Stoke players .

13th October 2022 - Les James League Cup Second Round Draw

The Second Round draw for the Les James League Cup sponsored by Boca Teamwear is as below.

  • Broadwell Amateurs v Hardwicke
  • Bromley Heath United v Cribbs Reserves
  • Gala Wilton v Little Stoke
  • Ruardean Hill Rangers v Sharpness

All games to be played on Saturday 3rd December with a 2 PM kick-off

18th September 2022 - Les James Cup Sponsored by Boca Teamwear
Bromley Heath United progress at Cheltenham Civil Service

Mark Simpson


A deferred start to the Les James League Cup saw no real surprises at this stage of the season with last seasons finalists Little Stoke and Ruardean Hill Rangers both edging through on penalties.

But we start in Cheltenham where both teams had 100% records in the League so something had to give and it was Bromley Heath United who took the honours at Cheltenham Civil Service. It was the visitors who took an early lead when a long ball was misjudged by the home defence allowing Olly Hanham to side step the keeper and roll the ball into an empty net. The home side shook this off with Shane Dualeh setting up Paul Smith who shot over. Bromley’s response was direct with Sam Edwards setting up Cameron Ford whose effort came off the outside of the post. Civil Service pushed and a long ball from Teejay Hosking found Gareth Jones whose shot was well saved by Bromley’s Will Ferguson. Services Jones was set up by Brett Blake but Ferguson stood firm for an important save. The second half started brightly with little goalmouth action to shout about until the 57th minute when a half cleared Bromley Heath corner was met by Ford whose rasping left foot volley wrong footed Brad Pittaway in the Service goal for 0-2. With Service chasing the game a triple substitution brought an immediate impact when a pass played into Adam Loveridge was headed on only for an outstretched arm to intervene and duly awarded penalty converted by Hosking for 1-2 which, despite a last ditch attempt by Service, was how the score remained.

Broadwell Amateurs against Frampton United was a difficult one to predict but the home side eased to a 2-0 victory. After a fairly even start Broadwell took control and it was converted forward Kristian Burnard who reacted quickest to a long ball over a flat footed defence to half volley the home side into a 13th minute lead. Frampton played attractive cross field football but with little penetration into the home area with their first chance coming on twenty five minutes with Espada’s effort saved by Ben Reed. It was Kian Skidmore who added the home sides second after a Frampton player had been sin binned. A long corner from Dan Brain found the alert Skidmore for the second on 30 minutes. A few minutes later Fishwick hit the Frampton bar. The second half saw both sides playing keep ball. Frampton had three good chances from free kicks all headed wide. Dan Brain prompted the home side with his final ball setting up Broadwell on several occasions Espada had the games final chance but headed over and Frampton were out.

Now to last seasons winners Little Stoke who played in an entertaining 2-2 first half against Rockleaze Rangers. Little Stoke made a quick start to the game and were in front on eight minutes when a Mike Hardiman strike from 25 yards flew in to the bottom corner. Rockleaze levelled against the run of play on 17 when a cross come shot from Boomtam was fumbled by Mason Hawkins. The away side took the initiative and from further pressure took the lead when a low cross was finished by Hatfield. The home side came back and equalized when a quick goal kick from Jack Burgess found Jordan Yeo who hit a 50 yard cross field ball to Aaron West who floated the ball onto Luke Meacham whose header was deflected in. Both sides created further chances with Hardiman narrowly wide for the home side and Hawkins saving well after a good ball in behind the defence. The second period saw Little Stoke take more of the game with chances for Jude Scott, Luke Meacham and Hardiman coming close. Further pressure a pull back from the left found Little Stoke’s John Pugsley whose effort was agonisingly wide. Rockleaze countered on 80 but Hatfield was blocked by Burgess. Chances continued to be created and mis-control by the away keeper saw the ball hit the post but he followed with a good save to thwart Alex Hill. So to the dreaded penalties with the home side edging 4-3. Mason Hawkins made two good saves and his counterpart one.

Wick started brightly in their match v Ruardean Hill Rangers, quickly settling into their passing game on a beautifully flat pitch. On eight minutes Wick’s eighteen yard free kick went harmlessly over and Ruardean responded when on 15 Alex Stevens flicked just wide and a few minutes later Ellis Waugh twisted and turned only to clear the bar. Within minutes Wick were pressing again but the strong Ruardean rear-guard hustled the attack to prevent any clear cut chances. On the half hour the lively Owen Riddler had sight of the away goal but his shot was comfortably taken by the imposing Aaron Underwood. Wick continued to press but didn’t trouble the score sheet. From the restart Wick again looked lively and within minutes Jay Vile had his goal bound shot cleared off the line. On the hour Ruardean broke down the left but the cross failed to find a touch as it travelled across the goal. On seventy Wick fashioned two great chances the first headed clear on the line and the second blocked by Underwood’s feet. Aaron Underwood pulled off a great one handed save high to his right to deny Wick again. That summed up Wick’s afternoon, plenty of possession but unable to unlock the visitors. With the imposing Underwood in the Ruardean goal, Wick’s chances in the penalty shootout looked grim, and so it proved to be, 3-1 to the visitors.

An interesting affair as Sharpness entertained Quedgeley Wanderers who pushed the Sharks all the way. The game started with both sides cautiously feeling each other out, but it was the visitors who broke the deadlock on fifteen when a through ball found Ollie Curtis who burst through and smashed the ball past Truan Taylor. Five minutes on and Sharpness were level when Brad Gibbs layed off to Rory Cawkwell who drove home. The Sharks grew in stature and came close when Brad Gibbs shot was well saved by Derbyshire, but he was beaten ten minutes before the break when Harry Reynolds was upended in the box and Tom Frankham slotted home from 12 yards. This was not the final action of the half Quedgeley equalising after Sharpness lost possession out wide, the ball played into Joe Ash who played over the top to Curtis and hit a great shot for his second and 2-2 at the break. The second half didn’t produce much goalmouth action but Sharpness had one chalked off when Paterson was adjudged to have knocked the ball out of Derbyshire’s hands. The winner came for the Sharks when a free kick on halfway was played in by Paterson and Tom Freeman rose highest to see Sharpness into round two.

A lively affair at the Stoke Gifford Stadium saw the League leaders Gala Wilton through by two to one. Hosts Stoke Gifford United started well using pace to exploit the Gala defence with Karakus heading on target after a few minutes. Gala grew into the game and started playing balls over the top pushing Gifford backwards. The momentum shifted back to the home side when Dan Gayner was sin binned for Gala. Although Gala should have taken the led when a scramble gave Martin Smith a gilt edged chance. Gifford continued to look threatening but made the wrong decisions while the away side should have scored – Craig Howell fluffing his lines. Gala took the lead on 47 when Alex Gayner finished at the back post. They continued to press and Connor Walters was denied by the impressive Josh Stawroski. But it was the home side who had the next score when Mike Barry’s mazy run and a deflected shot by substitute Liam Whelan made it 1-1. The game became end to end and was decided by substitute Kyle Gibbs who broke in behind the Gifford defence for 2-1. A few chances for both teams followed with Rudi Hall close to a leveller but Gala held out for a place in the next round.

Now the first of two games won at a canter. In the game at Arnall Drive a first half hat-trick from Jack Guthrie set Cribbs Reserves on their way to a 5-0 victory over Henbury. Guthrie opened the scoring in the first minute when a clearance from Cribbs Rob Nakielny was flicked on by Tom Headford leaving Guthrie to finish with aplomb. Guthrie double his tally on 31 when he finished off a well worked move by driving the ball home from just inside the Henbury box. His hat-trick came in the 41st minute when he was quickest to react to a cross from James Crossley-John to stab in from close range. The second period was largely uneventful but further goals from James Clayton and an Andy Forward penalty secured a safe passage into the second round for Cribbs Reserves.

The final game of the round saw Hardwicke rout Patchway Town 9-0. There were only three goalscorers with a Will Mathews hat-trick, Harry Furniss having the lions share with five and Fred Humphries making it nine. Hardwicke dominated from the start and took the lead on 13 minutes when Jordan Dowdeswell's superb delivery from a corner was met by Harry Furniss at the back post. Will Matthews made it 2-0 on 25 minutes, rifling home a shot after a mistake in the Patchway midfield. Matthews fired in the third with his left foot when Hardwicke regained possession from teh restart. Patchway pressed hard and did force a save from Hall in the Hardwick goal on 37 minutes. The second half saw Furniss pick up the ball 40 yards out and jink through the defence and buried it in the corner on 47 minutes. Furniss completed his hat-trick on 57 minutes, Fred Humphries headed home a corner on 57 minutes to make it 6-0. Furniss added his fourth on 67 minutes and a fifth after 70. Matthews was initially denied his hat-trick by a good save on 71 minutes but he eventually got another chance and Matthews completed the rout on 87 minutes from a Dowdeswell corner.

8th August 2022 - Les James League Cup First Round Draw

The First Round draw for the Les James League Cup sponsored by Boca Teamwear is as below.

  • Broadwell Amateurs v Frampton United
  • Cheltenham Civil Service v Bromley Heath United
  • Cribbs Reserves v Henbury
  • Hardwicke v Patchway Town
  • Little Stoke v Rockleaze Rangers
  • Sharpness v Quedgeley Wanderes
  • Stoke Gifford United v Gala Wilton
  • Wick v Ruardean Hill Rangers

All games to be played on Saturday 10th September with a 3 PM kick-off

League Cup Sponsor

The Les James League Cup is sponsored by Boca Teamwear

Les James Cup 2022-23

Sharpness 1 Broadwell Amateurs 3
Bromley Heath United 0 Broadwell Amateurs 2
Sharpness 1 Little Stoke 1 Sharpness win 4-3 on penalties
Round Two
Broadwell Amateurs 4 Hardwicke 2
Bromley Heath United 2 Cribbs Reserves 1
Gala Wilton 2 Little Stoke 3
Ruardean Hill Rangers 1 Sharpness 1 Sharpness win 5-4 on Penalties
Round One
Broadwell Amateurs 2 Frampton United 0
Cheltenham Civil Service 1 Bromley Heath United 2
Cribbs Reserves 5 Henbury 0
Hardwicke 9 Patchway Town 0
Little Stoke 2 Rockleaze Rangers 2 Little Stoke win 4-3 on Penalties
Sharpness 3 Quedgeley Wanderers 2
Stoke Gifford United 1 Gala Wilton 2
Wick 0 Ruardean Hill Rangers 0 Ruardean Hill Rangers win 3-1 on Penalties