25th August 2018 - Henbury edge out AEK Boco

Ron Holpin

Henbury recorded their second win of the season with a 2-1 defeat of todays visitor’s AEK Boco. It was the visitors who looked like they might score early on with Liam Powell’s 25 yard drive just clearing the bar and Owen McCullum pulled a really good chance wide of the target. Powell had another chance to score on 16 minutes but a poor shot ran straight to keeper Cameron Tarr. Henbury’s first effort on goal saw them take the lead when Adam Rosser picked up the ball on the right side of the box and unleashed a left footed drive from 30 yards out that curled past the out stretched hands of Boco keeper Liam Jacques. Boco’s McCullum made a great run down the left and cut in but the finishing touch was poor. Then a couple of minute’s later Luke Basseng header over the Henbury bar. On 35 minutes Tarr brought of two great saves from a corner that the home side failed to clear. Basseng did get the ball in the Henbury net on 42 minutes but it was ruled out for offside. Another chance went begging for Boco just a minute later when Tarr came out to the edge of the box and lost possession the ball was pushed to Luke Basseng but with an open goal begging he failed to hit the target. Just before the break Boco keeper Liam Jacques pulled off a great save to deny Jenson Manning’s shot making it 2-0.

It was the visitors first on target in the second half again Tarr saved well from Basseng. At the other end Jacques pushed away a free kick from Adam Rosser and Tom Palmer fired wide from the rebound. With the amount of possession Boco were enjoying an equalising goal was still avoiding them until the 74th minute when Liam Powell cut in from the left struck the ball really well and although Tarr got his hands to it crept over the line to level the score. The lead lasted just 5 minutes when a break down the left by the home side resulted in Jenson Manning sending the ball into the box and Reece Purnell turned and knocked it past Jacques. Sub Harvey Moran had a great chance to make it 3-1 to the home side near the end from a corner but blasted the ball well over the bar. At the other end Boco thought they had levelled but again it was ruled out for offside.

Lebeq United go top of the table with a 4-1 win over today’s visitors Southmead CS Athletic. Terry Obeng gave the home side the lead on 35 minutes with a close finish, then Shah Bhakerd increased the home side lead in the 55th minute from just inside the box. Southmead pulled a goal back on 65 minutes when Andreas Ali netted from just inside the box. Hassankafi Ibrahim then set up Bhakerd to score his second and a late goal from Christian DaCosta after Cameron Brown had created the opening made the final score 4-1.

In the local derby at Hardwicke where Frampton United were the visitors ended all square 1-1. It was a goalless first 45 minutes but only a great save from the Frampton keeper Steven Sparrow kept Will Matthews header out on 15 minutes after Ryan Barrett had sent over the cross. The deadlock was broken in the 63rd minute when Matthews was bearing down on goal hit his shot across the keeper and Nathan Dennis charging back could only steer the ball into his own net. They could have had a second in the 69th minute but for a fantastic save from Sparrow to deny Ryan Barrett. Frampton levelled the score when Sub Kris Bulley crossed for Ryan Vincent to drive home. Home keeper Ricky Warden then saved well from a Matt Cook free kick and in the last minute of the game Cook saw his goal bound shot cleared off the line.

Hanham Athletic moved off the bottom of the table with their first win of the season beating today’s visitors Gala Wilton 3-1. A fine strike from Jamie Fry on 35 minutes from just inside the box gave the home side the lead and then a minute before the break his brother Jack should have made it two. Straight from the restart George Cryer made it 2-0 running clear from a Sam Brown through ball. Then on 60 minutes Jamie Fry grabbed a second to put his side 3-0 up. Gala netted their only goal on 72 minutes from a corner kick that fell to Jay Dare who made space to drive the ball home.

Stonehouse Town found Little Stoke a tough nut to crack and managed to scrape home with just a single goal. The visitors were much the better side in the first half and were unlucky not to have taken the lead when Jack Burgess had two goal bound efforts cleared off the line. Stonehouse grabbed the three points from a move that saw Alex Kibbles long ball picked up by Chris Earle and his cross was met by Luke Soule to score from close range. The second period failed to produce any good chances so 1-0 was the final score.

For the second week Running Kingswood took a real hammering this time going down to Wick 6-0. The home side were rampant right from the off and Kingswood’s keeper had to make two good saves in the first 5 minutes. Wick opened the scoring on 15 minutes with a 25 yard screamer from Sam Thomas. They forced a corner in the 20th minute and from the cross Dan Wingfield drove a crisp shot into the net from just outside the box. Shaun Morris then set up Jordan Scott to run clear to make it 3-0 on 30 minutes. Home keeper Joe Pople was called upon to make a good save to deny Kingswood scoring from a free kick after 35 minutes before Jordan Scott then broke down the left and crossed into Charlie Stevens to drive the ball into the bottom corner. On 75 minutes Keiren Hutson crashed the ball home from just inside the box to make it five and two minutes from the end Joe Thomas rounded two defenders to hit a 25 yard drive into the roof of the Kingswood net.

Patchway Town’s start to the season has been great but they slipped up at home today to visitor’s Rockleaze Rangers. A goalless 45 minutes was broken in the 58th minute when a long throw into the box created a scramble and Josh Morris stabbed the ball in. Rangers levelled on 75 minutes from a cross that was headed onto the crossbar and then picked up by Joe Weare to drive home. Just 3 minutes later Rangers were in front and it was Weare again scoring from 20 yards after the home defence had failed to clear properly. The home side were a little unlucky as they struck the cross bar twice during the game.

The derby in the forest Broadwell Amateurs v Ruardean Hill Rangers. With Rangers carrying on their form from last week and going away with the points with a 3-1 success. There was 6 bookings in this game and 2 sending off’s but the reporter indicated that it was not a dirty game. Broadwell had a lot of possession in the first 45 minutes but found themselves a goal down after 15 minutes when home keeper Jamie Merry spilled the ball from a long cross and Luke Brown was on hand to scoop up the chance. Then came the first dismissal Broadwell’s Guy Jones having to go after picking up a second yellow card. In the second half Rangers Charlie Mason was dismissed but he received a straight Red for an incident off the ball. The home side equalised in the 80th minute from a long Burnard cross that found Ben Fishwick on the far post and he finished it off. A second fumble by home keeper Merry saw Luke Brown turn and knock the ball home to put Rangers in front and in the very last minute a Shaun Tingle cross found Luke Johnson to fire the ball high into the Broadwell net.

18th August 2018 - Rampant Patchway smash seven past Kingswood

Ron Holpin

Kingswood had no answer to a rampant Patchway Town who fired seven past the visitor’s keeper without reply. Patchway started their onslaught as early as the 4th minute when Dave Talbot stabbed the ball in after it had travelled across the box several times. They doubled their score in the 15th minute from a good move down the left that left Dan Rees heading for goal and he coolly hammered the ball across the Kingswood keeper Kieren Powell into the far corner. It might have been 3-0 on 21 minutes but for a great save by Powell from a Sam Finn shot. The keeper then brought off a point blank save to deny Dan Rees getting his second 5 minutes later. Patchway made it 3-0 on 30 minutes from a long ball out of defence that was flicked on to Brandon Benjamin to fire his shot past Powell. Kingswood’s first effort on the home goal came in the 32nd minute from a 35 yard free kick struck well by Zach Berriman that struck the upright. At the other end Dave Talbot struck the upright from a very tight angle cutting in from the right. Rees then shot just past the post and at the other end Keiran Witchard fired over from long range free kick.

3 minutes into the second half the home side scored a fourth, a long range shot from Dave Pritchard was spilled by Powell and Phil Vice following in chipped the loose ball over his head. It became 5-0 in the 51st minute as Dan Bendall slipped the ball through to Dan Rees whose first shot was brilliantly saved by Powell but the rebound went straight back to Rees who made sure with his second shot. Kingswood’s rare venture into the home box in the 54th minute resulted in a header being pushed round the post by keeper James Boulton but the resulting corner was cleared. The home side then netted again in the 65th minute when Dan Bendall broke clear got his shot on target but a superb effort from Kingswood’s Keiran Witchard colliding with the post but stopped the ball going in only for it to eventually arrive at the feet of David Ishi to chip the ball into the net. Bendall put the final nail in the coffin in the 83rd minute as he burst into the box was brought down and Patchway had a penalty kick. Bendall took the kick and gave Powell no chance to save - making the final score 7-0.

Frampton United are top of the table after today’s home win with a 100% record. They have yet to concede a goal and have netted seven.

They came up against a much improved Southmead CS Athletic side and managed to scrape home by a single goal. Frampton’s Matt Cook was unlucky in the 15th minute when his free kick from just outside the box struck the upright. The only goal of the game came in the 36th minute when Matt Cook chipped the visitor’s defence and Ryan Vincent ran clear to slot the ball home. A good chance to level for Southmead came in the 50th minute but Andreas Ali shot over the bar. They had another chance in the closing stages but Aysa Corrick’s header also went over the bar. Jonathan Lewis could have netted a second for the home side in time added but his shot was well saved by the visitor’s keeper.

Hanham Athletic prop up the table after their third defeat in a row this time going down 3-0 to Stonehouse Town. Jamie Spring headed Town into a 1-0 lead from a corner on 28 minutes but on 40 minutes Tom Welling missed a great chance to level the score. 2 minutes later Ellis Kow also missed a golden opportunity to level it up. In the 73rd minute Tim Williams was put clear to make it 2-0 and 5 minutes from time Dawid Regula netted a third for the visitor’s.

Gala Wilton were well beaten by Little Stoke according to the report on the game. Although it might have been different if someone had got on the end of a low corner from Craig Powell in the 17th minute as it whipped past everyone in the six yard box. Stoke took the lead on 44 minutes from a free kick on the corner of the box which was whipped in and Jack Burgess leaped to glance his header in. The second did not arrive until the 75th minute and it came from a set piece which the home side failed to clear and Luke Sperring rifled the ball into the net. Gala found them selves further behind in the 89th minute when Rich Homer lifted the ball over the home defence and Jordan Yeo nipped in to score.

Lebeq United’s trip to Hardwicke proved profitable coming away with a 3-1 win. The visitors took an early lead in the 4th minute when Fabian McCarthy sent Mitchell Page clear to score. Hardwicke’s reply came in the 36th minute from a well struck shot from Glen Gittins that keeper Amin Jones could only parry away. Cameron Brown had his shot well saved by the home keeper before United went 2-0 up on 51 minutes Mitchell Page netting his second. Gittins had a header well saved by Jones and at the other end Cameron Brown cut in from the flank but then saw his shot go just wide of the post. The home side pulled a goal back in the 75th minute when Will Matthews powered his header past Jones from a James Ractliffe’s cross. United rapped it up with a third goal scored by Shah Bhakerd.

AEK Boco fell to a heavy 4-0 defeat at the hands of today’s visitors Ruardean Hill Rangers. Star man for the visitors was Luke Johnson who finished with a hattrick. Rangers opened the scoring on 15 minutes Luke Brown picking up a poor kick from home keeper Liam Jacques and threading the ball through for Luke Johnson to run clear and round the keeper before tapping the ball home. Boco’s Cash Vinall saw his shot tipped over the bar by Rangers keeper. On 40 minutes Rangers got a second when Luke Johnson was put clear again and cleverly chipped the ball over Jaques. On 50 minute a mazy run by Luke Brown drifting past several Boco defenders before slipping the ball to Kane Fellows to lift the ball over Jaques to make it 3-0. 5 minutes from the end Rangers grabbed a fourth gaol this time Fellows stole the ball on the edge of the box and as he broke into the box was pulled back by Scott Woodman and the referee awarded a penalty. There was only one person going to take that kick and Luke Johnson stepped up to complete his hat-trick.

Last but not least is a fine win by Henbury at home to Broadwell Amateurs. After drawing their first two games the home side knew they would be facing stiff opposition for today’s game. This was proved right when after 8 minutes Broadwell took the lead Ben Schiller firing home a free kick from the left side of the box. The home side hit back on 30 minutes and levelled the score Andy Dickinson found Adam Rosser and he drove a sweet left footed shot into the bottom corner. Henbury grabbed the lead 4 minutes before the break delivered into the box from the right and George Loud side footed home. Broadwell levelled on 52 minutes with a break down the right and Jordi Sheen getting the finishing touch. Henbury retook the lead on 61 minutes when a lovely through ball from Adam Rosser found Keiren Cooper to coolly slot home. The home side made sure of the points on 82 minutes when Harvey Moran’s cross to the far post was put away by George Loud.

Rockleaze Rangers v Wick postponed due to an unfit pitch.

11th August 2018 - Thomas grabs four as Wick beat Hanham

Ron Holpin

Wick hosted close neighbours Hanham Athletic in their second home game of the season and were very impressive winning the game 6-1 with Sam Thomas helping himself to four of the goals.

The home side opened the scoring after 10 minutes from a Shaun Morris free kick wide on the left that just flew past everyone in the box and into the far corner of the net. A couple of minutes later Ben Daniels blasted over from a corner sent in from the left. Wick were awarded a free kick just outside the box a minute later and Sam Thomas curled his shot around the wall and into the bottom corner. Hanham’s first attempt on goal came on 17 minutes from a free kick about 10 yards out from the goal line on the left which was really well struck by Sam Brown but equally well fisted away by home keeper Joe Pople. 2 minutes on and Tom Welling sent a low cross into the Wick box that was met by Adam Grinter who turned and struck the ball well but it went straight to Pople. At the other end Dan Sheldon should have scored but blasted over. The visitors had a great chance to pull a goal back on 27 minutes when Ellis Kow sent a great cross into Grinter in the box but he was brought down which led to a penalty. Sam Brown took the kick but Pople guessed right and brought of a great save pushing the ball away for a corner. On 35 minutes Pople again saved well palming Joel Athey’s goal bound shot away. At the other end Ben Daniels had a shot well saved by keeper Ross Britton and Jordan Scott struck the crossbar with a header. On 41 minutes Wick scored again this time a long ball up to Sam Thomas and the striker made no mistake.

Right from the off of the second half Wick piled on the pressure and a good interchange on the right between Jordan Scott and Shaun Morris led to their fourth goal Thomas placing the ball past Britton from Morris’s pass. Number five came on 58 minutes from a free kick into the box it ran loose to Morris who turned neatly and slid the ball across to Thomas to tap in. Wick made it six in the 68th minute and this time it was Jordan Scott who cut in from the left found some space and slotted the ball past Britton from the edge of the box. Hanham did eventually find the back of the net in the 73rd minute when Substitute Luke Simmons headed past Pople from a long free kick. Wick still kept pushing forward and only several good saves from Britton kept the score-line down as he saved well from Antonio Nurse and Giovanni Fisher near the end.

Frampton United gain a second win of the season this time over today’s visitors Ruardean Hill Rangers. They took a very early lead on 3 minutes when Matt Cook set up Max Harper-Emerson whose shot was saved by the keeper but fell nicely for Ryan Vincent to drive home. Vincent made it 2-0 on 24 minutes with a powerful shot from the edge of the box that was spilled by Underwood and the ball ran over the line. Kane Fellows might have pulled a goal back for Rangers but his header went just over the bar. Just before the break Frampton managed to keep a clean sheet when they cleared off the line. Vincent had a good chance to complete his hat-trick in the second half but Vincent’s shot from Max Harper-Emerson’s cross was well saved by Underwood.

Stonehouse Town recovered from last weeks defeat to win by a slender margin in their home game against Rockleaze Rangers. Alex Kibble saw his 30 yard free kick strike the Rangers post after 3 minutes and at the other end Clarke had to be at his best to deny Rangers from a corner. On 26 minutes Dan Webb had a chance for Rangers but shot over the bar, then a minute later Clarke saved well form Freddie Short free kick. Stonehouse were fortunate to take the lead on 30 minutes when a cross into the box was headed goalwards but took a deflection of Rangers full-back Freddie Short and into the net. Another free kick for the home side saw Alex Kibble strike the upright for a second time and then Chris Earle saw his shot tipped over the bar by Rangers keeper Lewis Brodie. Stonehouse’s Dan Martin then struck the crossbar on 48 minutes. Williams then went on a mazy run but the final shot was again saved by Brodie. Rangers Dan Webb tested home keeper Clarke with a stinging shot but the visitors were unable to break through.

Broadwell Amateurs v Hardwicke swung both ways with two late goals in time added at the end saw the final score finish 2-2. Even though there was an outstanding performance by Hardwicke’s Richard Mansell and numerous free kicks given away by Broadwell the home side took the lead against the run of play in the first half with a 40 yard punt up to Burnard who crossed into the box for Harry Williams to fire his shot under the keeper. Hardwicke levelled the score on 70 minutes with a cross from the left that was met by Will Matthews to head past keeper Jamie Merry. Then came the two late goals Hardwicke must have thought they had won the game when Tobie Webb gave them the lead on 92 minutes but Broadwell snatched the victory away 2 minutes later when Alex Brown’s long ball found Sam Keetch to score the equalising goal.

Gala Wilton entertained Kingswood who were playing their first game of the season with the game ending all square in a 1-1 result. The first 15 minutes was fairly even until Kingswood’s Fabian Pereira-Fasanella broke clear but with just the keeper to beat he shot over the bar. With both sides not creating much the deadlock was broken in the 44th minute when Fabian Pereira-Fasanella raced through to put Kingswood 1-0 up. Gala were more determined in the second half but failed to make the break through that is until 3 minutes in to time added when Craig Howell rose above the Kingswood defence to head home a good cross from the right.

AEK Boco entertained Southmead CS Athletic who were also playing their first game of the season and after going down at home to Frampton last week were looking to make amends with a win under their belt, but it was the visitors who took the lead on 31 minutes from a break down the right and cross to the near post where Reece Evans’s glancing header sped across goal and in at the far post. Boco second half performance improved but with time running out it looked like the visitors were going home with the points that is until Boco equalised in the 93 minute after Frank Taylor-Fox saw his shot well saved, the rebound was smashed into the net by Josh Brown to every ones relief.

Lebeq United and Henbury played out a 0-0 draw at Oakland’s Park.

Little Stoke v Patchway Town was postponed due to the pitch being unfit.

4th August 2018 - Frampton off to a flying start at AEK

Ron Holpin

The leagues 50th Anniversary year got under way with six fixtures played.

AEK Boco who fielded a much changed side from previous seasons came up against a strong and well organised Frampton United side and were well beaten by four goals to nil. It was the home side who started well with a fine 30 yard shot finding the target. They then went on to force several corners but nothing materialised. Frampton’s first corner after 7 minutes almost brought the open goal as Kris Bulley’s glancing header was only just wide. Another corner for Frampton just moments later saw sent in by Manolo Espada was hooked over the bar by Joe Wilton. Frampton opened the scoring in the 11th minute from a long throw into the box that was picked up by Sean Lawson who made space to slip the ball past keeper Liam Jacques. A minute later it was 2-0 when Joe Wilton’s 25 yard drive flew past Jacques into the bottom corner. On 31 minutes the visitors increased their lead to 3-0 with a right footed in-swinging corner from the left by Manolo Espada that caught Jacques out and finished up in the back of the net.

Boco started the second half brightly and a shot from Jack Mills after 5 minutes looked promising but the visitor’s keeper Curtis Walker got right behind it. Mills had another half chance a few minutes later but again shot straight at the keeper. Substitute Luke Basseng had a great chance to pull one back for Boco on 56 minutes but with a clear shot on goal hit it straight to Walker. Boco’s Alex Patterson let fly from the edge of the box but it was turned away off the head of a defender for corner. Frampton scored a fourth goal on 65 minutes after a home move broke down and the ball was hit long up field for Ryan Vincent to lob the ball over Jacques from around 25 yards out. Boco still tried to reduce the score-line and might have scored on74 minutes from a low cross from the right to the far post that was met by Scott Robson but his shot was well saved by Walker.

Gala Wilton entertained Patchway Town for their first home game of the season. The kick-off was delayed because some players were caught up in the terrible traffic on the M5. Patchway who had struggled last season got off to a flyer winning 4-1. At one stage of the game they were leading 4-0 until Gala scored a late goal. The game was fairly even until the 31st minute when Patchway’s Dave Talbot scored to put them 1-0 up. Town went 2-0 up when Talbot laid the ball off for Josh Morris to score. Gala’s Danny Knight should have pulled one back but shot straight at the keeper. It became 3-0 when a long ball bounced over the Gala defence and Patchway’s Yame Aibangbee ran on to round the keeper and tap the ball home. Dan Bendall made it 4-0 on 71 minutes when he broke down the left cut into the box and steered the ball into the net just inside the far post. On 80 minutes Gala did get onto the score sheet when a long ball was flicked on by Kyle Bakewell and well finished by Danny Knight whose shot clipped the post on its way in.

Stonehouse Town should have staged this fixture with Wick but due to the really hot weather their pitch was unfit so it was reversed. Town got of the mark on 26 minutes against the run of play with an excellent strike from Dan Martin. The home side hit back on 35 minutes from a cross into the box that was flicked on by Jordan Scott and Sam Thomas finished it off. The home side went 2-1 up in the 52nd minute when Sam Thomas headed down to Kieren Hutson to score from close range. The home side grabbed a third goal on the hour mark when Sam Thomas headed home a Shaun Morris corner.

Hanham Athletic missed an early chance to take the lead on 15 minutes George Cryer missing an easy chance. However the home side did take the lead just 2 minutes before the break Joel Athey somehow managing to chip the ball over keeper Lewis Brodie. 1 minute into the second half Rangers were level when Dan Webb ran clear of the home defence to slot the ball home. Rory Langdon then headed Rangers into the lead on 53 minutes and Dan Webb netted his second on 62 minutes to make it 3-1. A poor defensive error in the Hanham defence on 75 minutes allowed Rangers to make it 4-1 with a goal from Joe Weare. Then right on 90 minutes Max Barker netted a second for the home side.

Henbury were leading their home game with Hardwicke until the 82 minute when Shaun Smith followed up a previous strike to score. Earlier in the game the home side had several chances to have taken the lead with Jack Bebbington missing a simple header after 3 minutes from an Adam Rosser free kick. Hardwicke were foiled in the 5th minute when home keeper Cameron Tarr saved well. The home side grabbed the lead on 11 minutes from a Adam Rosser corner headed in at the far post by Luke Cox. Tarr saved again in the 14th minute to deny Hardwicke. Andy Dickinson missed a sitter from 6 yards on 69 minutes and a couple of minutes later Tom Palmer shot wide. Tarr was on form when he saved a Hardwicke penalty on 79 minutes but he was finally beaten by Smith on 82 minutes.

Lebeq United won their home fixture with Broadwell Amateurs 5-2. The score-line at half time was 2-2. Goal Scorers for Lebeq United Cameron Brown (2) – Aaron Cornwall – Shah Bhakerd and Hassankafi Ibrahim. For Broadwell Amateurs – Liam Thomas and Jordi Sheen.