23rd February 2019 - Frampton boost Title challenge at Stonehouse

Ron Holpin

Top game of the day was Stonehouse Town v Frampton United at Oldends Lane. Frampton looking for a win after last week’s defeat and Stonehouse challenging for promotion and the title. Frampton went ahead on 14 minutes when Josh Beadle picked up a loose ball into the box and smashed it home. Beadle had another great chance a few minutes later but home keeper Will Pedrick pulled off a great save. Stonehouse’s Humphries had a good chance but shot wide on 26 minutes. Then just before the break Frampton striker Ryan Vincent went close. At the start of the second half Luke Soule’s shot was just wide and Adam Philp should have scored but shot wide. With Frampton pushing hard for a second goal Daniel Stephens made two great stops on the line for Stonehouse. United increased their lead on 66 minutes when Ryan Vincent and Joe Wilton played a one -two with Wilton finishing it off. Going into the 90th minute Stonehouse pulled a goal back when Tom Palmer smashed a loose ball into the corner of the net. Just after that Adam Philp was sent off for the home side and a minute later the home side were down to nine when Adam Ireland also saw red for a bad tackle.

Hanham Athletic pulled of a good 3-1 win at home to Broadwell Amateurs. The home side took the lead on 16 minutes some good work by Sam Brown and Jamie Fry set up George Cryer to score. Jamie Fry made it 2-0 on 63 minutes with a great header and just two minutes later Tom Welling made it three with a powerful header past keeper Mack Sadler. Broadwell got a consolation on 72 minutes when Harry Williams headed in a Guy Jones cross.

A disappointing game at Patchway Town who entertained local rivals Henbury. Only three chance created by both sides in the first 45 minutes with George Loud sending in a great cross from the right but Simon Lashley hooked the ball over the bar after just 4 minutes. Joe Dolby struck the upright in the 15th minute for Patchway and right on half-time Sam Burgess saved well from a Shaun Heal shot. Early in the second half Henbury keeper Cameron Tarr pushed the ball over from a Luke Garbacz free kick. Midway through the second half Joe Dalby had a good chance for the home side but he pushed the ball straight into the Tarr’s hands after a great cross from Garbacz. Talbot then worked very hard to cut into the box only to see his effort on goal go over the bar. At the other end Ross Jones had an open goal but missed the ball altogether. With the 90 minutes up the last chance fell to Henbury but they failed to take it. The 0-0 score-line was probable a fair result with both teams gaining a point each.

Seven goals at Little Stoke where the lead changed hands on several occasions. Hardwicke the visitors took the lead on 10 minutes when Will Higgins finished of a low cross into the box from close range. Just 5 minutes later it was 2-0 to the visitor’s when Will Higgin’s crossed to the far post where the unmarked Kieran Bryce-Ingles was waiting to tap the ball in. A minute before the break Stoke made it 2-1 from a brilliantly struck free kick from Jordan yeo on the edge of the box. A minute into the second period it was 2-2 when Rus Churches cross was headed in by Luke Meacham. The home side then found themselves in front on 55 minutes when Jordan Yeo scored his second goal from a free kick. A 75th minute header from Pat Vernall levelled the score once again, but with five minutes to play Stoke grabbed the winner Ethan Moore sent Kalil Lamir clear down the right he cut in and struck a great shot that went in off the post.

Gala Wilton took the lead in their home game with Ruardean Hill Rangers but still could not hold on and went down 2-1 in the end. After earl pressure form Rangers. Skyers brought off a great save to deny Stuart Cornwell-Boote pushing the ball around the post. Gala took the lead on 33 minutes as Dan Creed broke down the right sent the ball into Marc Edwards who struck a superb 25 yard shot past Underwood in the Rangers goal. Finlay Kerr then contrived to miss a great chance to make it 2-0 on 43 minutes, then Gala gave the lead away right on half time when they lost the ball in midfield Luke Brown then crossed the ball into Charlie Mason to make it 1-1. On 65 minutes Rangers had a great chance to take the lead as Cornwell- Boote crossed into the box Skyers palmed it away and then tried to recover it but fouled in his attempt giving away a penalty. He made up for it though bringing off a great save from Luke Browns spot kick. Rangers grabbed the winner on 80 minutes from a Luke Brown cross into the box tapped in by Shaun Tingle.

When you talk about consistency in a Clubs results the Manager of Rockleaze Rangers must be tearing his hair out. After a great result at Frampton United last week they were beaten at home by AEK Boco by four goals to one. A defensive error in the 9th minute allowed Frank Taylor Fox too give Boco the lead. Then on 15 minutes keeper Lewis Brodie denied Taylor Fox a second with great save from his free kick. Boco scored again in the 41st minute from a corner that was headed back from the far post by Austin Shopland for Harrison Kyte to make it 2-0. A life line two minutes later when Ali Boyer’s shot into the top corner made it 2-1. On 65 minutes Brodie pulled off another great save this time from Freddie Taylor-Fox tipping the ball onto the crossbar. On 72 minutes Rangers Mike Perham was unlucky when he struck the foot of the post. Rangers shot themselves in the foot on 75 minutes when keeper Lewis Brodie let a simple back pass from Freddie Short slide under his foot to make it 3-1. Boco wrapped the scoring up in the 77th minute with a cracking shot from a very tight angle from Harrison Kyte.

22nd February 2019 - Frampton boss hoping for positive reaction after difficult week

Harry Madge

Frampton United manager Mat Blythe is hoping for a "positive reaction" from his side after a difficult week for the club, on and off the pitch.

Frampton were defeated 3-0 by the in-form Rockleaze Rangers last weekend. However, the result rather pales into insignificance as the Gloucestershire club comes to terms with the loss of their assistant secretary Anne Jackson.

Anne, wife to vice-chairman Kevin Jackson and mum to former manager Steve Jackson, had served Frampton United for a number of years in various different roles. After a short illness, Anne passed away on the eve of Rockleaze’s visit, aged 65.

Blythe admits Anne’s death has been particularly tough for the club: "I’m fairly new to the club but I know Frampton is a village club so everybody knows everybody. A lot of the players have grown up with the (Jackson) family so it’s been pretty tough.

"We all came together on the weekend to pay our respects, and we’ll continue to stick together to help Kev and Steve though this really difficult time.

"Anne was always down the club watching every weekend. It’ll be a massive loss for everyone."

The defeat to Rockleaze brings to an end a run of four straight wins for Frampton, but despite the circumstances in which the game was played, Blythe admits the visitors were just too good on the day.

Recalling the fixture, he said: "I always knew we’d get off to a bit of a slow start especially as we’d missed a couple of weeks. But fair play to Rockleaze they were very strong, played well and took their chances when they came along."

To make matters worse, Blythe was also without the league’s top scorer Ryan Vincent and starting left-back Alex Barrett for Rockleaze’s visit to the Bell Field.

"Because Ryan and Alex were missing we had to make a couple of forced changes," he added. "There were a couple of gambles we took that didn’t really pay off. If I had the chance again, would I do it differently? Probably.

"But we were in the game and then they scored three goals in the space of six or seven minutes. At 2-0 we were thinking if we could get the next goal we would be back in it but we conceded again and gave ourselves too much to do."

Next up for Frampton is a trip to Stonehouse Town on Saturday. A win for Ian Soule’s Stonehouse will ensure his side leapfrogs Frampton into second in the table.

Blythe, whose father was formerly chairman at Stonehouse, is hoping his side’s defeat to Rockleaze will spark his team back into life, though.

"I’m hoping the Rockleaze result will actually do us some good really," Blythe says positively. "Sometimes you can have a defeat that turns into a positive, so I’m hoping for a positive reaction.

"But Stonehouse have to be respected, they’ve been on a really good run.

"They’ve obviously got a chance of winning the league and they can go above us if they win their games in hand so there’s a lot to play for. Hopefully it’s a good local derby and a good advert for local football.

"I’m looking forward to it."

Frampton are able to welcome back both Vincent and Barrett for the Stonehouse fixture. But with Frampton now 11 points behind the leaders Lebeq, Blythe admits that the attention has already turned somewhat to next season.

"I think the league is probably a bit out of touch unless anything drastic happens so we’re just looking to finish as high as we can now," says Blythe, who only took over as first-team manager in November.

"There has been a bit of change to the squad but we’ve had some really good performances and we’re definitely heading in the right direction.

"Looking ahead to next season, we’re still looking to add quality to this squad. We’re always going to be a club that looks to promote young talented players and I think from what I’ve seen I think Frampton is the perfect club to come and learn your trade and then kick on.

"It’s a great environment for young players to just come and play really. So next season hopefully we can add a couple of new faces just to freshen it up a bit and challenge up near the top of the league again."

16th February 2019 - Five star AEK Boco triumph in local derby

Harry Madge

A crowd of 214 amassed at AEK Boco’s Greenbank playing fields to watch the home side fire five past local rivals Hanham Athletic.

Jacob Saunders scored either side of a Harvey Sealey strike to give Boco a 3-0 lead at the break. In the second period Boco added another two through Franck Taylor-Fox and Harrison Kyte.

At the start of play, both AEK Boco and Hanaham Athletic found themselves in the bottom six, with only two points separating the two Bristol clubs.

It was Boco though who struck the first blow in this much-anticipated fixture. In only the second minute, Saunders latched on to Boco keeper Scott Lovell’s long-kick before slotting calmly past the onrushing Hanham keeper Max Heaven.

Ten minutes later, Saunders should have doubled his and Boco’s goal tally for the afternoon. After some impressive wing-play, Sealey was able to deliver a ball into the Hanham box where an unmarked Saunders could only head over.

The home side didn’t have to wait long for their second though and in the 20th minute Sealey doubled Boco’s lead. Sealey found himself through on goal having been played in by Luke Nash and the lively winger made no mistake, finding the bottom corner from just inside the box.

With less than 25 minutes played, Boco made it 3-0. Once again, Hanham were unable to deal with Saunders’ pace as the Boco man raced onto Austen Shopland’s pass and rolled the ball under Heaven for his second and Boco’s third.

Hanham almost found a route back into the fixture moments later. George Cryer was left unopposed inside the six-yard box, but his header from a Sam Brown cross was straight at Lovell.

Just after the half-hour mark, Saunders went close to completing a first-half hattrick. On this occasion, Hanham had Heaven to thank who tipped Saunders’ rasping effort round the post.

Notwithstanding a lull in goalmouth action, the tie remained hotly contested up until half time with a number of robust challenges on show for the large crowd.

After the break, the pace of Boco’s attacking unit continued to cause Hanham problems. A swift counter-attack led by Kyte and Franck Taylor-Fox gave Saunders a second opportunity to claim the matchball, but his shot flew harmlessly wide with only Heaven to beat.

With 57 minutes on the clock, Franck Taylor-Fox gave Boco an unassailable four-goal lead with a sensational goal. Boco keeper Lovell picked up his second assist of the afternoon, spraying the ball out to Taylor-Fox who brought the ball down, looked up and guided a 25-yard strike into the top corner with the outside of his foot.

Despite the score-line, Hanham continued to endeavor and try to find a way back into the fixture but their attacking stance naturally left gaps in their defence. With Saunders replaced by Fred Taylor-Fox, Kyte assumed the role as Boco’s main threat as he looked to take advantage of those opportunities.

In the first of two chances in quick-succession, Kyte managed to get the better of Hanham’s Tom Welling in the box before his fiercely struck shot was saved by Heaven at his near post. Mere minutes later, Kyte glided past two defenders before dragging his low shot narrowly past the upright.

Casey Woodman was next to go close but the centre-half’s towering header crashed off the Hanham post.

With only 12 minutes left to play, Kyte finally got his goal and Boco’s fifth. Franck Taylor-Fox was instrumental again, cutely playing Kyte through who cut inside and drilled the ball past Heaven.

The rest of the fixture passed without incident as AEK Boco ran out deserved 5-0 winners against Hanham Athletic. The result means Boco leapfrog Hanham in the MARCLIFF Gloucestershire County League standings.

16th February 2019 - Rockleaze take points at Frampton

Ron Holpin

A setback for Frampton United in their quest to grab the title losing 3-0 at home to a very good Rockleaze Rangers side.

United created their first chance on 10 minutes when Sean Lawson sent a good pass into Joe Wilton who turned on the edge of the box but fired his shot straight to Lewis Brodie in the Rangers goal. It was Minolo Espadas turn a minute later but he too shot straight to the keeper. On 23 minutes Sean Lawson also saw his effort on goal fielded by Brodie. In fact, until the 35th minute the visitors had failed to muster a shot of any kind on target when Dan Webb shot straight at Steve Sparrow in the home goal. The break through came in the 40th minute and it was Rangers who took the lead from a ball crossed over from the right to the far post where Dan Webb was waiting to head home. Right-on half-time Rangers Jay Moore pumped the ball into the box from a free kick wide on the left Sparrow failed to take it cleanly and Ali Boyer was on hand to make it 2-0.

Rangers made it even harder for the home side in the 1st minute of the restart when Rory Langdon got clear of the home defence and fired the ball past Sparrow from the edge of the box. The home side were looking for the offside flag to be raised but it was not forthcoming. The home side continued to press and a great cross from Nathan Dennis into the Rangers box came out to Stuart Maule but his rasping drive just cleared the bar. At the other end Sparrow brought off a great save to deny Dan Webb. The home side were unable to break through the Rangers defence and were limited to taking shots from distance which was easily dealt with by Brodie. One last chance for Rangers in time added when left full back Nick Jones was through on goal but Sparrows quick thinking saw him make a great save.

Henbury picked up three points at home with a 4-0 over Gala Wilton after going weeks without a win in the league. The visitors gave the home side a scare after just 2 minutes when Danny Knight chipped the keeper but it dropped over the bar. The first effort from the home side came from Jensen Manning a shot that went just past the post on 9 minutes. A couple of minutes later Kane Manning went close to opening the scoring for Henbury. Ross Jones then put Simon Lashley clear but he missed the opportunity to open the scoring. Gala’s keeper Aaron Charman then kept out a great free kick from Aaron Rosser. Henbury took the lead on 22 minutes when Harvey Moran broke through the visitor’s defence and drove the ball past Charman. Gala were a little unlucky in the 40th minute when Danny Knights shot took a wicked deflection but fortunately home keeper Cameron Tarr was just in the right place to save the shot. A minute before half time Gala’s Jon Clay was also very unlucky when he lobbed the ball over Tarr but the ball went just over the bar. However, a minute later the home side scored again and this time it was Simon Lashley who broke through the visitor’s defence. Kane Manning grabbed a third on 76 minutes and on 82 minutes Harvey Moran was put clear by Jensen Manning to make it 4-0. There were outstanding performances from Henbury’s Johnson and Rosser according to the report.

A second successive defeat for Ruardean Hill Ranger this week going down 1-0 at home today’s visitors Wick. Luke Johnson missed an early chance for Rangers when he hit the crossbar. Then at the other end keeper Arron Underwood saved well from Ben Daniels. In the 30th minute there was a scramble in the Rangers box with Steve Coombs blocking Ben Daniels goal bound shot. Five minutes later Ricky Tingle cleared of the line. On 60 minutes Mark White in the Wick goal brought off two great saves to deny firstly Johnson’s shot then immediately saved again from Luke Brown. The winning goal came in the 75th minute from a great ball into the box headed in by Dan Stevens. White then turned Cornwell-Boote’s header over the bar with 5 minutes to go and in the very last minute he denied Luke Brown.

A 1-1 score line at Hardwicke where today’s visitors were Patchway Town. The opening 30 minutes of this game produce very little then in the 32nd minute Patchway’s Dan Bendall broke down the flank cut into the box but then hit his shot over the bar. Five minutes later Town took the lead with a Free Kick just outside the box and really well Struck by Luke Garbacz who found a gap in the wall to nestle the ball into the bottom corner. The home side levelled on 57 minutes after Kieran Bryce-Ingles sent over a cross to Tobie Webb who was then impeded in the box and Will Higgins netted from the penalty spot. Patchway’s Dan Cockram had a great chance to give Patchway the win but through on goal he pulled his effort across goal.

Stonehouse Town’s visit to Southmead CS Athletic saw the title challengers go away with the three points with a resounding 7-1 result. Joshua Patel gave town a 20th minute lead, five minutes later Liam Gale scored to make it 2-0. In the 28th minute Alex Kibble scored from close range and then right-on half-time Patel scored his second for a 4-0 lead at the break. On 70 minutes Gale netted from the penalty spot to make it 5-0 Southmead pulled a goal back through Otis Francis on 78 minutes, then a double from Adam Philp on 80 and 88 minutes made the final score 7-1.

14th February 2019 - Own Goal settles representative match

Harry Madge

An unfortunate own goal was enough for the MARCLIFF Gloucestershire County League representative side to run out 1-0 winners against the Gwent County Football League side.

An unfortunate second-half own goal scored by Gwent County’s Gareth Wysome was the only goal scored in what was a fiercely contested tie.

For this year’s county representative fixture, Wick FC manager Mike Strawford was selected to assemble a 16-man squad comprised of some of the MARCLIFF Gloucestershire County League’s most impressive players.

Strawford’s matchday squad: Steve Sparrow (Frampton United), Edward Bamfo (Lebeq United), Nick Jones (Rockleaze Rangers), Nathan Dennis (Frampton United), John Henson (Southmead CS Athletic), Charlie Stevens (Wick), Jordan Yeo (Little Stoke), Nathan Hall (Lebeq United), Danny Payne (Lebeq United), Ryan Vincent (Frampton United), Dan Bendall (Patchway Town), Ruben Nuevo-Draper (Little Stoke), Grant Hewitt (Wick), Shaun Morris (Wick), Jay Hubbard (Wick), Otis Francis (Southmead CS Athletic).

On a crisp evening at the home of Tytherington Rocks Football Club, the MGCL side started the brighter out of the two. Bamfo had the game’s first effort on goal after three minutes but his strike from range was comfortable for the Gwent County keeper.

After a lull in goalmouth action, two chances in quick succession for Henson and then Payne after 25 minutes almost put Strawford’s side ahead. Henson’s goal-bound shot was deflected wide, before Payne’s volley from the subsequent corner flew over the Gwent County upright.

The Gwent County side then established a foothold in the fixture, having seemingly weathered an early storm.

On 34 minutes, Sparrow was called into action for the first time in the Glos County goal as he spread himself to save from an onrushing Gwent County attacker. The resulting corner was then cleared off the line. A series of defensive interventions from the impressive Dennis and Henson foiled further Gwent County attacks.

With half-time fast approaching the Glos County side almost opened the scoring. Vincent found himself one-on-one with the Gwent County keeper, but the usually prolific striker’s shot was well saved. From the rebound, Payne’s looping header was blocked on the line and the two sides went in at the break level.

Six minutes after the restart, the Glos County side took the lead. The tricky Bendall evaded two challenges and with Vincent running in behind, the Patchway Town man tried an intricate through-ball only for Gwent County’s Wysome to divert the ball past his own keeper when attempting to clear the danger. Moments later, Payne almost added a second, but with the goal gaping the Lebeq youngster was only able to find the gloves of the Gwent County keeper. Payne’s strike-partner Vincent also came close to doubling the lead on the hour mark, but his close-range effort from an inch-perfect Yeo cross dropped harmlessly wide.

As time ticked-by, the Gwent County side pressed in search of an equaliser but in their way every time was the resolute Glos County defensive unit.

In the final 15 minutes, Sparrow was forced into a smart stop to ensure a well-struck free kick didn’t find the net, before another Gwent County free-kick was headed narrowly over the bar.

Despite the best efforts of the Gwent County side, the Welshmen were unable to penetrate the Glos County defence and Strawford’s side closed out the final few minutes to seal the victory.

11th February 2019 - Wick boss wants consistency

Simon Parkinson

WICK manager Mike Strawford has his hands full attempting to drive his men further up the Marcliff Gloucestershire County League ladder – whilst compiling an entirely different outfit for an intriguing mission next week!

The busy Oldbury Lane supremo admits Wick’s season has not shaped up the way he’d wished for at the start.

That’s because they approach tomorrow’s home match with unpredictable Henbury (2pm) occupying a mid-table berth with no chance of securing a dream promotion to the Toolstation Western League this time around.

Strawford, in the meantime, just wants to establish better levels of consistency over his side’s remaining nine fixtures, starting, he hopes, with a ninth win of a helter-skelter campaign at the expense of fourth-bottom Henbury.

The Wick boss has been busy too crafting a side capable of overcoming Gwent County League counterparts.

Strawford explained: "I’ve been chosen to manage the Gloucestershire County League representative team to take on Gwent at Tytherington Rocks’ ground this Tuesday (7.30pm).

"It’s an honour and a privilege to have been asked to do it and I’m enjoying the challenge of trying to get the best possible team together.

"I just wish I’d taken more notice of all the opposition players I’ve come up against whilst leading Wick this season!

"When I first got the call from the league looking to speak with me my first thought was, ‘What have we done now’! But of course I jumped at the chance."

Of the business of attempting to haul to new heights Wick, who finished up a laudable eighth in the County League standings last term fresh off the back of their Bristol Premier Combination promotion the previous year, Strawford admitted: "Our hopes at the start of the season were to be in contention to win the league by this stage.

"Injuries and suspensions have not helped and I feel we’ve had the rough end of some harsh decision-making by match officials.

"We’ve not been consistent either; there haven’t been enough full-on performances over 90 minutes. The lads have been putting the work in at training so I’ve no concerns there.

"We produced our best performance against Lebeq, the leaders, back in October when we won 2-1 there. It was as though we raised our game that night with a proper team performance but didn’t push on from it."

Strawford’s football commitments extend even to the girls’ game where he oversees the fortunes of Hanham Abbotonians Under-12s and 14s, for whom his daughters Elyse, a goalkeeper, and Isabelle, a central defender, perform on Sunday mornings and afternoons respectively.

He confessed of the ultimate Wick objective: "The club isn’t geared up for promotion just yet.

"That said, had we been up challenging around the top at Christmas as we’d hoped then we’d have had a good hard look at it to see what we wanted to do.

"One thing’s for sure, we won’t be looking to put the club under any sort of financial strain when we’re not in contention.

"Still, I and the rest of our management team – James Pocock, Shaun Morris and Nigel White – are already planning on strengthening the side ahead of next season with a view to having that crack at going up. I for one never like standing still.”

Wick head into the Henbury contest without suspended keeper and forward Joe Pople and Jordan Scott. The Thomas brothers, Sam and Joe, are unavailable too along with injured winger Harry Madge (ankle).

Former Bishop Sutton forward Josh Dakwa could be reintroduced after making one appearance so far and his manager enthused: "Josh is a fun-loving lad who is brilliant on the ball and knows where the back of the net is."

Midfielder Alex Whale also comes into contention following a foot-injury absence.

9th February 2019 - Stonehouse snatch late win against Ruardean

By Ron Holpin

Stonehouse Town managed to take the three points against a very determined Ruardean Hill Rangers who defended very well throughout the game but were undone by an 85th minute goal from Liam Gale. The visitors never really tested home keeper Will Pedrick for the whole of the 90 minutes whilst Underwood in Rangers goal saw more of the action. Liam Wright tested Underwood after 3 minutes with a low shot to the near post which the keeper had to dive low to save. Then a few minutes later Town had the ball in the back of the Rangers net only to have it ruled out for offside. On 16 minutes right fullback Rob Humphries saw his shot on target deflected away by the Rangers defence. The home side continued to press and had a couple of shots at goal but failed to hit the target and the teams going in all square at half time.

Rangers were the first to show in the second half and drew Pedrick from his goal line before sending the ball back to the edge of the box for Shaun Tingle to strike at goal but again it was blocked by a defender. The home side had a great chance to take the lead on 51 minutes from a throw in on the left which was knocked into the Rangers box and Luke Soule’s diving header went just past the far post. Just a minute later at the other end Luke Johnson had Rangers best chance but shot straight into Pedrick’s arms. On 63 minutes a long ball, up to Gale saw Underwood quick of his line to collect the ball but was then fouled by Gale. Tim Williams was introduced by the home side and on 75 minutes fired a great shot at goal from the edge of the box but it went just past the post. On 81 minutes the referee awarded the home side a penalty for a foul in the box. Penalty taker Alex Kibble stepped up to take the kick but his tame shot was well read by Underwood who dived to his left to save. The winning goal in the 85th minute came from a run into the box by Liam Gale on the right and from a tight angle he fired the ball past Underwood. Jubilation by the players as this keeps them in the chase for the title.

Lebeq United also left it late at Patchway Town scoring twice in the last 3 minutes of the game. Not a lot going on in the first half with Patchway’s Josh Morris hitting the outside of the post. The home side had a great chance to go ahead in the 52th minute when Dan Rees was brought down in the box, the striker then hauled himself up to take the spot kick but it was brilliantly saved by the Lebeq keeper. 3 minutes later the home side were given another good chance to go ahead when Matt Webb sent Sam Finn clear on goal but he shot wide. On 62 minutes Lebeq were awarded a penalty and the penalty taker for Lebeq is Cameron Brown but his shot was also brilliantly saved by home keeper Sam Burgess. Burgess brought off another great save on 80 minutes from a terrific shot from Elan Plummer. On 88 minutes the ball was squared into the box for Kevin Camargo to give the visitors the lead then a minute into added time Patchway lost possession in their own half and Elan Plummer made no mistake to make it 2-0.

Gala Wilton are still looking for their next win as they went down 2-0 at home to Hardwicke. A strong wind had an effect on the game as the players struggled to control the play. The home side started well and were very disappointed when they had a penalty claim turned down by the referee in the 21st minute. A few minutes later Hardwicke’s Richard Mansell sent over a great cross from the right that found the head of Will Matthews but he directed it over the bar. Hardwicke took the lead in the 39th minute after the home side conceded a free kick on the right the ball was floated into the box and Kieran Squires rose to head home. Gala’s Jason Littleton might have levelled early in the second half but clear on goal his shot was well saved by the Hardwicke keeper. Marc Edwards sent Skyers racing down the flank but his low cross into the six-yard box evaded everyone. Hardwicke made it 2-0 on 73 minutes from a break down the flank with the home side giving away a free kick. It was crossed into the box as before Kieran Squires was there to head home his second of the afternoon.

Little Stoke raced to a 3-0 lead at the break against todays opponents Broadwell Amateurs. Little Stokes opener came from a good build up with Ethan Tucker flicking the ball to Kieron Williams to slip around a defender and hit the ball into the bottom corner from the edge of the box. It was 2-0 on 30 minutes when a Russ Church shot was well saved by the visitor’s keeper Mack Sadler but the rebound went straight to Lewis Hogg to finish from close range. Williams then scored a third for the home side with Ethan Tucker laying the ball back for Williams to strike it into the net from 25 yards. The home side had another great chance on 55 minutes but Ethan Moore’s shot was brilliantly saved by Sadler. In a more balanced second period the visitor did manage to get on the score sheet when Kristin Burnard was put through in a one on one situation and planted the ball into the Stoke net.

Rockleaze Rangers continue their good form with a 1-0 win at home to Southmead CS Athletic. Rangers do hold a unique record in the league at present as the only team who had not drawn a game this season so far. Not a lot happened in the first 45 minutes of which the visitors had more of the play and were unlucky in the 16th minute when home keeper Lewis Brodie tipped the ball over the bar from Ali Saidy Saidy shot. Rangers pressure from the start of the second half almost paid off in the 48th minute when Alvin Quaye in the Southmead goal tipped Dan Webb’s header over the bar. Minutes later Langdon should have done better when he had a clear-cut chance but headed over the bar. Rangers won the game in the 65th minute when Rory Langdon sent over a pinpoint cross for Ail Boyer to send his diving header past Quaye. The game was marred in the 75th minute when Southmead had Luke Coghlan dismissed for dissent.

8th February 2019 - Mansell enjoying ‘learning-curve’ as player-manager at Hardwicke

By Harry Madge

Hardwicke player-manager Richard Mansell admits his debut season in the role has been "frustrating" but he does believe his side can build some momentum ahead of the 2019-2020 season.

After a winless December, Hardwicke have won two of their last three matches, including a resounding 4-1 victory over Ruardean Hill Rangers last time out.

Recounting the win, Mansell said: "It was probably the best result of our season in terms of the overall performance and the result we got.

"We played them at the beginning of January at their place and lost 5-3. It was a game where we had a lot of chances in the first half that we weren’t able to take, and in the second half their captain absolutely tore us to shreds.

"The game at our place was probably ruined a little bit by the weather. I think we were just able to adapt ourselves to the situation better on the day. We acclimatized ourselves a bit better, took our chances and stopped their captain playing."

Next up for Hardwicke and Mansell is the short trip to local rivals Gala Wilton on Saturday (2pm KO).

The former Gala player insisted: "It’ll be a tough game, they’re fighting for their lives down at the bottom and they’re desperately trying to pick up as many points between now and the end of the season.

"In this league, nobody just deserves to turn up and win any game. It doesn’t matter whether you’re a Lebeq side flying at the top or you’re Gala down at the bottom. They all want to play and they all want to get three points. Anyone can beat anybody on the day."

Former Gloucester City player Mansell was installed as player-manager at Hardwicke last summer, and he concedes that his new role at the club has taken a little bit of getting used to.

"It’s been frustrating," states Mansell humbly. "It is enjoyable doing the player-manager side of it but then there are times where I think I’d like to just concentrate on playing or managing.

"I would probably have liked to have played more but it’s hard when you’re trying to concentrate on your own performance but then you’re also thinking ‘right it’s approaching half-time now, what am I going to say to the lads.’

"The lads are all patient with me though, they know I’m not going to get it 100 percent correct every week and I’m willing to accept that, but what I will give is my all.

"Whenever I’m addressing the lads, it’s always a case of’ ’we’ and not ‘you’ because we are all in it together."

Saturday’s local derby is the first of Hardwicke’s eight remaining fixtures as they look to finish as high in the MARCLIFF Gloucestershire County League as possible

"We’re always thinking about going forward, but there’s no point looking too far ahead" Mansell adds.

"I just want the lads to continue showing the same work rate that they have since the start of the season. Then we’ll just take every game as it comes and try and take some momentum into next season and then just go again really.

"We’ve got 8 games and you never know what sort of momentum that’ll bring."

4th February 2019 - Rockleaze aiming high

By Simon Parkinson

ROCKLEAZE Rangers’ ambitious boss Peter Bradbury wants his team to hold firm to a top-four position – and use it as a springboard to 2019-20 promotion.

The high-riding Hillside Gardens outfit approach a stiff Marcliff Gloucestershire County League away test in the Forest of Dean with Ruardean Hill Rangers tomorrow (2pm) buoyed by back-to-back 2-0 and 5-2 victories over Henbury and Hardwicke respectively.

Bradbury insisted: "For the most part it’s been really good. We were a bit inconsistent over Christmas, winning games then losing the next ones.

"Recently we put five past Hardwicke at their place and not many teams have achieved that. And to not concede in our last game against Henbury was encouraging.

"If there’s a criticism it’s that we’ve not been keeping enough clean sheets. We have shipped a lot of goals lately but we have also looked good at the other end.

"Our last few training sessions have been about working on defensive shape because we have tended to over-commit going forward. It’s about defending better as a team, starting at the front.

"We’re trying to strike a balance and Saturday against Henbury was better. Hopefully we can continue in that vein."

The Rockleaze boss expressed satisfaction with his current crop of performers and enthused: "I’m extremely pleased: I can’t fault their efforts.

"They’ve really bought into how my assistant Lee Douglas and I want them to play. We’re a very expansive side and maybe that’s reflected in the fact we’ve not drawn a single one of our 20 games so far!"

Fourth-placed Rockleaze lock horns with sixth-spot Ruardean Hill hosts in need of a pick-me-up following successive 4-1 defeats at the hands of Hardwicke and Lebeq United.

But Bradbury warned: "Ruardean are a decent team; we saw that earlier in the season when they beat us 2-0.

"They were well organised defensively but then there have been no easy games for us in this year’s league.

"Obviously we’re pleased with our new 3G pitch at Hillside Gardens although it has taken a bit of getting used to, perhaps more so than we expected.

"Teams have been turning up and licking their lips at playing on that surface and possibly raising their games. But the more we play and train on it the better I’m sure we’ll become.

"We’ve had mixed fortunes on the pitch so far but hopefully we’ll go on to enjoy the same benefits Lebeq have experienced playing on their own 3G at the GFA centre (in Almondsbury)."

Rockleaze now have forward Joe Weare back in business, having been sidelined with a knee injury since the 2-1 December 8 defeat by Stonehouse. His return last weekend was timely given in-form fellow front-man Ali Boyer is unavailable for the Ruardean trip.

Of the club’s drive for higher-status football, Bradbury said: "I’m looking at trying to stay where we are, in the top four, over the rest of the season. That would be fantastic after finishing up 12th last time but we’re aware we have some tough fixtures to come and it won’t be easy.

"It’s been a decent competition this year; there have been no real whipping boys and the title is still up for grabs.

"For us it’s more about building for next season, making sure we’re in the best possible position to make a fist of promotion then.

"If we can finish high up the table this time it would certainly give us a better hand when it comes to attracting and retaining good players."