30th March 2019 - Lebeq United seal title

Ron Holpin

Friday saw the last home fixture of the season for Lebeq United who needed to win to try and retain their position at the top of the table and hopefully gain promotion against a Gala Wilton side fighting to avoid possible relegation.

Due to the fact that Lebeq United have a case pending where they could find themselves with a further points deduction the win was essential as Stonehouse Town were left with 4 fixtures to complete their season and if they won them all they could still match Lebeq United on points.

After today’s result at AEK Boco where Stonehouse Town were held to a 1-1 draw Lebeq United are now crowned Champions.

Back to Friday’s game a comfortable win for the home side 4-1. For the first 19 minutes Lebeq United were ruthless and a constant wave of attacks saw then thwarted from taking the lead by some outstanding goal keeping from Dan Brabham. He kept out Elan Plummer on 3 minutes then saved well from a Niekell Plummer shot on 16 minutes. Shah Bhakerd failed to beat him and Dan Payne cutting in from the left also saw his shot pushed away for a corner. A surprise for the home side on 22 minutes when Gala had the ball in the back of their net but luckily it was ruled out for offside. The home side continued to press and on 32 minted they were awarded a penalty and Niekell Plummer sent Brabham the wrong way. The Gala keeper blotted his copy book in the 42nd minute when Elan Plummer cut in from the left and Brabham some how let the shot beat him at the near post.

They had hardly started the second half when the home side made it 3-0 Kevin Camargo getting on the score sheet. Just 3 minutes later Gala hit back when Martin Smith found some space on the edge of the box hit a great shot that thundered against the crossbar and luckily rebound straight back and this time, he made no mistake. They went close again on 52 minutes from a free kick wide on the left pumped into the box and home keeper Amin Jones saw it late but flicked it away for a corner. Although the visitors were seeing a little more of the ball in this half the home side continued to pass the ball around trying to create an opening. Dan Payne made Brabham’s hands wring with a cracking shot om 75 minutes. Edward Bamfo came on in the last 15 minutes for the home side and he made it 4-1 on 83 minutes cutting in from the right hitting a low shot at Brabham’s goal the keeper got his hands to it but it still went in. Shah Bhakerd picked up a loose ball on the left just inside the Gala half cut in and unleashed a great shot, but Brabham was there again.

Stonehouse Town can still finish runners up if they can win their three remaining games and pass the two-goal advantage that Frampton United hold but have completed their fixtures for the season.

Frampton United rounded of their season with a 2-1 victory at Hanham Athletic. We had to wait until the 19th minute before we got our first attempt on goal and it came from the boot of Jack Fry but it was blocked by a Frampton defender and went away for a corner. United’s first shot on goal came from a Josh Beadle 30-yard free kick that was booted away by keeper Mason Hawkins. Frampton took the lead on 30 minutes from a Josh Beadle corner from the right that was met by Ryan Vincent who smashed the ball home. At the other end Emanuel Burnett had a clear shot on goal but hit it well wide. The home side had another chance to level on 41 minutes but Craig Sperring’s header went straight to keeper Steve Sparrow, then a minute later Sparrow just managed to punch an Ellis Kow header away.

The home side looked a little better at the start of the second half and Jamie Fry turned and shot at goal but there was not enough power on the shot. Hanham were having a lot more of possession but in the 78th minute Frampton broke away and Jonathan Lewis who had come on as a sub neatly chipped the ball over Hawkins to make it 2-0. The home side did manage a goal back in the 89th minute when Jack Baber headed in at the far post from a Tom Welling free kick.

A disaster for Southmead CS Athletic going down 7-1 at home to Ruardean Hill Rangers. The visitors raced into a 3-0 lead in the first 9 minutes. Shaun Tingle put Rangers ahead on 5 minutes then two minutes later the ball was played through the home defence and Luke Brown made it 2-0. Just a couple of minutes later an almost identical move allowed Brown in for his second and a 3-0 lead. In the 29th minute home keeper Bradley Silverthorne gave away a penalty and Shaun Tingle netted the spot kick. A ball that only reached the edge of the area from a clearance by the home side was picked up by Luke Brown to drive it into the net for his hattick. The home side got on the score sheet when Rob Sivers pulled a goal back in the 40th minute, but Rangers were rampant and made it 6-1 at the break when Shaun Tingle netted his hattrick at the far post. Just the one goal in the second period which came in the 70th minute Shaun Tingle rising above everyone to head home.

Broadwell Amateurs v Patchway Town was a game that saw both Clubs complete their fixtures for the season and Town took the three points with a 1-0 win. Broadwell’s Liam Thomas looked really lively at the start of the match but it was Harry Williams who should have given the home side the lead when he had a one-on-one situation but dithered to much and the Patchway keeper took the ball. A ball played into the box on 56 minutes was met by Dan Rees whose first shot was well saved by keeper Sadler but Rees was lucky the ball rebounded straight back and he fired it into the net. The home side had a good chance to level as Jacob English drifted past three Patchway defenders and then saw his goal bound shot finger tipped over the bar.

Stonehouse Towns visit to AEK Boco was crucial as they new they had to win to keep up their challenge. The home side started well and on 15 minutes they saw Jacob Saunders go down in the penalty area but it was deemed a fair challenge and the ball went away for a corner. Luke Soule had Town’s first effort on goal on 30 minutes when he turned on the edge of the box but his shot was well saved by home keeper Liam Jacques. A Stonehouse corner was then whipped into the near post and Casey Woodman did well to clear off the line. The home side went ahead on 79 minutes from a good cross into the box by Cash Vinall and Harrison Kyte’s spectacular overhead kick went into the bottom corner. Stonehouse got out of jail in the third minute of added time when Chris Earle broke from the halfway line down the flank crossed into the six-yard box where Luke Soule drove his shot into the ground but it finished up in the back of the Boco net.

Three goals for birthday boy Will Higgins as Hardwicke triumphed over todays visitors Henbury. The first came on 15 minutes after Tobie Webb broke down a Henbury attack sent the ball through to Higgins who raced past the keeper and slid the ball home. The home side almost got a second on 30 minutes from a Tobie Webb cross that was scissor kicked by Craig Beaton but went the wrong side of the post. Jacob Hobbs kept the score at 1-0 right on 45 minutes when he brought off a good save to deny Henbury’s George Loud. The home side made it 2-0 on 60 minutes from the penalty spot after Richard Mansell had been brought down and Higgins made no mistake from the spot. Higgins completed the scoring in the 75th minute with a strike that went zipping into the bottom corner.

25th March 2019 - Southmead Secretary reflects on turbulent season

Simon Parkinson

SOUTHMEAD CS Athletic’s long-serving secretary Neil Graham reflected on more turbulent times at a club bordering crisis point but declared: "We’ll keep battling on."

The Jarratts Road strugglers entertain the team immediately beneath them on the Marcliff Gloucestershire County League ladder tomorrow (3pm), bottom-placed Gala Wilton, for a crucial basement bout knowing three points could make all the difference in their fight for survival.

It is a scenario Southmead are well used to – they’ve occupied the last two places for the past three seasons yet managed to survive as a Step 7 operation.

Graham, who has served the club as player and administrator for more than 25 years, admits they will accept their fate with good grace if they are to go down.

Yet he remains hopeful new manager John Henson and his assistant Rob Cumberbatch can at least inspire a positive conclusion to send them into the summer on a high note, irrespective of their status.

Graham, 47, explained: "John is a defender of ours who had played and captained us for virtually all our games this season when he took over as manager late last month.

"Things came to a head after we lost 7-1 at home to Stonehouse (February 16) when four key members left us: manager Simeon Hopkins, who’d taken over from Chazz Gomm at the back end of the 2017-18 season; our chairman Phil Lindo; vice-chairman Bob Bryant and coach Paul Morris.

"It was disappointing as training numbers had improved on previous years and we have had fuller benches for games.

"In fact things were looking up to such an extent that we were even talking about starting up a reserve team.

"Admittedly I considered my own position. I was so fed up with the way things were going and had I left we really would have been in crisis. I’ve been with the club for over 25 years and it’s in my DNA. You don’t get paid and it can be a thankless task. But it’s also a way of life.

"In the end I was persuaded to stay by our physio/coach Steve Roe and with John stepping up to take charge alongside (coach) Rob Cumberbatch, and our central midfielder Otis Francis taking on the captain’s armband from John, we have pressed on unabated.

"We went on to lose 4-2 at Wick and 2-0 at Henbury in our next games but we then gained a very encouraging point from a 1-1 draw at Patchway."

Southmead do approach the Gala cruncher on the back of a 3-0 home reverse by high-flying Frampton United, although Graham insisted: "If we keep playing like we have been then hopefully we’ll go into the summer looking at a brighter picture.

"When we played Gala at their place they won (2-1) with a last-minute goal so it would be nice to reverse that. But we have been perennial strugglers and poor pitch discipline has helped nothing this year.

"It’s a shame because the club had done so well to come through all the divisions from the Suburban League to reach the County League (in 2012) and enjoying two promising years to start with. The downturn came from the moment we lost our best players to higher-level clubs.

"If we do end up in the bottom two again then we’ll just have to accept our fate if the powers-that-be see fit to relegate us."

Southmead have been boosted by the return of talisman striker Rob Sivers to the club, although new-boss Henson is suspended now following his red card in Saturday’s Frampton defeat.

23rd March 2019 - Gala Wilton take vital points at Southmead

Ron Holpin

The bottom two teams Southmead CS Athletic & Gala Wilton met at Southmead both knowing that a win was essential to try and prevent finishing in a relegation position. With both Clubs having just 2 fixtures to play following this game. It was an early shock for the home side when they went 1-0 down after 2 minutes from a free kick after Ryan Dobbins had been fouled 35 yards out on the left side of the penalty area. Jay Dare lifted the ball high towards the home goal and keeper Alvin Quaye came a yard too far off his line and the ball just clipped his finger tips on its way into the net. Southmead’s first chance after 8 minutes came from a long ball into the Gala area where Leon Clayton-Clark got up well but his header cleared the bar. Gala went 2-0 up on 18 minutes from a looping ball into the Southmead box that was well taken by Ryan Dobbins who controlled it and fired across Quaye into the far corner. The home side went close again on 29 minutes when a low shot from wide on the left from Mohamed Rabia just skimmed past the far post.

In the 53rd minute Gala were awarded a penalty for pushing and Ryan Dobbins made no mistake from the spot. Gala keeper Dan Brabham tried a cheeky free kick from just inside his half which bounced just in front of Quaye but over the bar. The home side pushed hard and Brabham in the Gala goal was in action on numerous occasions but always managed to keep the ball out of his net. It is going to be tough for both sides but Southmead have two home games left whilst Gala have to travel for their two.

Stonehouse Town pulled off a convincing 4-0 win at Broadwell Amateurs to keep their hopes alive. The game got off to a hectic start with home keeper Mack Sadler being called into action on several occasions. Then in the 21st minute Town took the lead as Chris Earle cut in from the left and curled a perfect low shot past Sadler. A brilliant five man move on 28 minutes brought the second goal with Adam Philp sending in a low cross for Luke Soule to tuck away. Into the second half and on 52 minutes the home side lost the ball in midfield Alex Kibble pounced on the loose ball and neatly chipped the ball over Sadler for the third. Just 4 minutes later the home side lost the ball again in the middle of the park with Kibble picking it up again striving forward and striking a low shat past Sadler.

A last-minute goal was the down fall of Henbury in their home fixture with Rockleaze Rangers. Henbury were appealing for a penalty in the 15th minute when Jensen Manning went down in the box but the match official waved play on. Rangers Rory Langdon should have scored in the 20th minute but headed past the post. Henbury went close on 35 minutes when Jack Dempsey fired his free kick just past the upright. George Loud then had his shot well saved by the Rangers keeper Lewis Brodie. The home side almost handed Rangers a gift just before the break when Dan Webb latched onto a bad back pass but his chipped ball over the keeper was headed away by Aaron Rosser. In the second half A Jack Dempsey shot was deflected by Ross Jones towards the goal but it flew over the bar. The killer blow came right at the end when home keeper Cameron Tarr got his hand to a Rory Langdon shot but it snuck into the net.

A 2-0 win for Little Stoke at Hanham Athletic with a double from Luke Meacham. The first on 39 minutes came from Jordan Yeo corner where he rose high above everyone to head in off the bar. A great bit of defending by Stokes Reece Hedges denied a certain equaliser for George Cryer, but in the 72nd minute Meacham rounded the keeper to net his second.

AEK Boco v Wick with just a few miles between the Club it attracted 117 spectators to watch the game. Wick were the better side in the first 45 minutes and home keeper Liam Jacques kept them at bay on numerous occasions. The second half produced very little in the way of chances until the 75th minute when Wicks Sam Thomas produced a bit of magic on the edge of the Boco box before laying the ball back for Joe Thomas whose cracking shot was on target but was deflected past Jacques into the top corner.

Eight goals in the late Kick off at Almondsbury where Lebeq United won the game 5-3 against today’s visitors Hardwicke. Lebeq went ahead from a long ball out of defence that found Tom Collett whose first shot was saved but he followed up to put the rebound away. Hardwicke levelled when James Ratcliffe cut in from the left and fired into the bottom corner. Hardwicke then went ahead with Tobie Webb firing home from just outside the box but the home side hit back with a second from Tom Collett a half volley just inside the box. Just before the break Lebeq went 3-2 up when Kristian Miller broke down the right flank sent in a powerful cross that was fumbled by the Hardwicke keeper and finished up in the back of the net for an own goal. Dan Payne increased the lead to 4-2 and then a bullet header from Kevin Camargo following a corner gave the home side a 5-2 lead. Hardwicke got a third against the run of play and an appeal by the home side for offside that never came and Tobie Webb netted his second.

22nd March 2019 - Gala Wilton boss confident of County League survival

Harry Madge

Ahead of his side’s relegation six-pointer against Southmead SC Athletic on Saturday, Gala Wilton boss Ian Merrick insists his side can still beat the drop.

Gala, who are bottom, travel to second from bottom Southmead, trailing the Bristol side by three points as the Gloucestershire County League season moves hastily towards its conclusion.

But despite Southmead having a game in hand over Gala, as well as a three-point cushion, Merrick feels a win on Saturday will set them up perfectly for their two remaining games against Lebeq United and Little Stoke.

The former Lydney Town man said: "The game on Saturday is massive. A win would be a massive boost. Obviously they [Southmead] have a game in hand but it would allow us to take some much-needed momentum into the Lebeq game.

"We’re still fighting and hopefully we can pull a couple of results out of the hat in our last three fixtures. Lebeq is a really tough one but we’ve got Little Stoke last game of the season who have a cup final to look forward to, so their minds might be a little pre-occupied.

"It’ll be tough to bounce back if we go down into the Gloucestershire Northern Senior League, but we’ll be doing our very best to stay in the County league."

The Gloucestershire side haven’t won since a 5-1 victory against Hanham Athletic on December 22.

Merrick, who has been at the helm for three years at Gala, reflects on his side’s struggles this season: "Last season we had Ryan Dobbins who scored 20 goals for us, but he went to play for Tuffley Rovers so we’ve missed his goals.

"If you look at our results, a lot of our games have been quite close and we’ve just lacked a killer instinct in front of goal.

"We’ve not taken many beatings where we’ve been absolutely battered, but when you’re down at the bottom everything seems to go against you.

"We’re all disappointed about where we are this season, but we’re the only ones who can dig us out of this hole."

To make matters worse for Merrick, Gala are expected to be without four key players for the relegation clash. Lewis Skyers, Joel Skyers, Alex Pritchard and Peter Boyle are all set to miss out through suspension.

Regardless of team selection, Merrick admits he’s expecting a tightly fought encounter. He added: "Southmead are a tough team. They’re physical and they’ve usually got a lot of players with pace and power.

"It won’t be a game for the purists I doubt, it’s going to be a real scrap and a battle for the whole 90 minutes."

Defeat at the hands of Southmead would all-but consign Gala to a bottom placed finish as both sides seek to retain their Gloucestershire County League status ahead of the 2019/2020 season.

18th March 2019 - Henbury looking forward to Trophy semi-final

Simon Parkinson

HENBURY co-boss Trevor Richards weighed up the enormity of their county cup semi-final cruncher with local rivals Cribbs and enthused: "Our boys are buzzing for it."

The Marcliff Gloucestershire County Leaguers travel the short distance to The Lawns to lock horns on Tuesday night with a Cribbs team in impressive form occupying a mid-table berth in the Toolstation Premier Division table.

Henbury have been going well of late too, despite their ranking fifth from the foot of the County League ladder.

Whilst they are out to extend their unbeaten run to four games with victory at Broadwell Amateurs tomorrow, there will inevitably be a few Henbury minds set on that juicy midweek GFA Challenge Trophy last-four derby date with Cribbs (7.45pm).

Victory for the winners will take them through to an Oaklands Park final with either Bitton or Bishops Cleeve, who also clash, at Bath Road, on Tuesday night at the same time.

Richards, who will lead his Henbury hopefuls in tandem with Jason Tarr at the helm as always, insisted: "We’ll go to Cribbs confident but certainly not cocky. We’ll go there with an open mind, play our normal game and let nature take its course.

"On paper they should win given they’re two divisions above us. But we’ve already beaten a team at that level (Fairford Town, 2-1, away) in the quarter-finals so we don’t fear anyone. Go into a game like this with a fearful attitude and you’ll get nowhere.

"We’re not an over-confident team but we’re confident in our ability, that we can give them a good game."

Of the anticipation levels building around Arnall Drive, Richards said: "The boys are buzzing for it. It’s a semi-final and local derby and there’ll be a big crowd there. Many in each camp know each other. We know what we’ll be up against: Cribbs have pace in attack and they’re a good organised outfit.

"But I was pleased with how well we approached the Southmead game last weekend to win 2-0 as we’d not done those things at all well when we’d last played them and got beaten 3-1 as a consequence.

"It was great to see our winger Harvey Moran perform outstandingly well and provide a superb assist with his skill and pace to set up Jensen Mannings for our second goal.

"This Saturday against Broadwell we’ll have an opportunity to give some of our younger lads a chance along with some of our maturer players."

Richard insisted: "It’s a pity some of our lads involved in the Fairford win won’t be eligible to play at Cribbs due to silly Gloucestershire Cup rules.

"But I like the fact so many of our under-18s are coming through strongly and the way our more established players are welcoming them aboard.

"And I’m delighted for people like our chairman Charlie Barron, who works tirelessly behind the scenes and has served the club for so many years."

Henbury skipper and left-back Sean Heal acknowledged: "It’s fair to say we’re massive underdogs. However we always seem to perform very well when written off which was exactly the case against Fairford.

"With Cribbs being the closest club to us geographically it gives us an added incentive, especially as the majority of us have played at Henbury our whole lives.

"It’s our biggest game of the season and one we’re all thoroughly looking forward to."

16th March 2019 - Little Stoke leave it late to beat Patchway

Ron Holpin

You cannot get two teams closer than Little Stoke v Patchway with just under a mile between the two Clubs and it really is a local derby. But this game turned out to be a damp squib with neither side able to take any advantage of as very strong wind blowing straight down the pitch. In the first half Little Stoke took the decision to kick against the wind and rarely ventured into the Patchway half until the 23rd minute when a ball found its way into the penalty area and in a crowd of players a shot was unleashed at goal but keeper Sam Burgess was there to save. The home side had another good chance on 27 minutes a rasping shot from Luke Meacham that Sam Burgess managed to push against the post and away. The only chance created by Patchway came in the 38th minute a header from Phil Vice that was directed past the post.

The home side tested Burgess 10 minutes into the second half but the keeper made two very good saves to keep the ball out of his net. Luke Garbacz was unlucky in the 67th minute when his cracking shot hit the post with Stoke keeper Ollie Jones just watching. Patchway then had Phil Vice sent off for two yellow cards and Little Stoke grabbed the only goal of the game in the 84th minute when Alex Hill rose high above everyone else to head home on the back post.

Rockleaze Rangers finished off their home programme with a 5-1 victory over todays visitors Wick. The got off to a flying start going 1-0 up after 4 minutes Joe Weare firing into the top corner after picking up the rebound from the Wick keeper Mark White who had brought off a great save to deny Dan Webb. That became 2-0 on 9 minutes when Ali Boyer burst past several defenders before driving the ball home. On 21 minutes Joe Weare hit a great shot across White hitting the post on its way in. It became 4-0 on 51 minutes after Joe Weare’s brilliant chip found Dan Webb to round the keeper and slide the ball home. Wick pulled a goal back on 66 minutes a superb free kick from Shaun Morris that went around the wall and found the top corner. Wick were unlucky when Grant Hewitt’s shot hit the post following a corner on 70 minutes but just 5 minutes later Rangers made it five when Titus Lufungulo’s through ball to Webb saw the striker round the keeper for a second time and slot the ball home.

Stonehouse Town keep up their challenge with a 2-0 victory over Hanham Athletic. The game was fairly even until the 14th minute when Tim Williams sent Chris Earle clear and as he approached the Hanham goal he spotted Luke Soule completely unmarked and slipped the ball across for the striker to tap home. Hanham almost levelled midway through the half but Jamie Fry’s shot was cleared off the line by Callum Hook. The home side scored again in the 43 minute this time Liam Walsh sent Earle clear and again he spotted Luke Soule in a better position and crossed for him to knock the ball home. Very few chances in the second period Hanham had several shots from the edge of the box and two minutes from the end Soule had a great chance to complete his hattrick after Tim Williams had put him clear but his touch let him down and the keeper collected the ball.

Frampton United travelled to Southmead CS Athletic and came away with a 3-0 win. They went ahead on 5 minutes after a shot from distance struck the bar rebounded to Manolo Espada who fired home from twelve yards. Not a lot was created in the following forty minutes and right up until the 70th minute when Southmead’s John Henson was sent off for a reckless challenge. Five minutes later Frampton’s Ryan Vincent made it 2-0 when he scored from the edge of the box and in the very last-minute Vincent struck again after he latched onto a loose ball.

Henbury’s visit to the Forest of Dean to take on Broadwell Amateurs resulted in a 2-1 triumph. Henbury missed an early chance and then fell behind in the 16th minute to Frank Johnson goal after he had played a one-two with Jacob English. Henbury levelled on 25 minutes with a very unusual goal, Adam Rosser picked up the ball just inside the Broadwell half looked up saw keeper Sadler off his line and then hit a fantastic ball that flew over the keeper’s head into the net. It stayed that way until the 75th minute when Harvey Moran picked up the ball on the edge of the box dummied three Broadwell players before dragging it back and firing it into the net.

AEK Boco salvaged a point at Ruardean Hill Rangers after falling behind twice during the game. The home side started the better but it was Boco who almost went ahead on 8 minutes after Harrison Kyte sent a great ball through to Frank Taylor-Fox whose shot was brilliantly saved by Underwood in the home goal. Rangers went ahead on 20 minutes when Boco’s keeper Liam Jacques was deceived by 35-yard cross come shot from Dan Mason. Jacques then saved three times after that denying Mason, Tingle and Griffiths goals. Kyte almost equalised when he broke into the box but his shot was just deflected wide by Coombs. Boco managed to level the score when Terry Obeng headed in from a corner at the far post. The home side retook the lead on 79 minutes when Charlie Mason’s free kick was headed in by Ricky Tingle. The visitor’s levelled again on 80 minutes after Kytes shot was pushed away for a corner the cross in found Terry Obeng to fire home.

9th March 2019 - Wick win Derby against AEK Boco

Ron Holpin

A cold windy day at Wick where the home side ran out 2-1 winners over AEK Boco. Boco started the brighter but in their first attack on the Boco goal Wick took the lead from a ball knocked into the box and Dan Stephens curled the ball past Jacques in the Boco goal. A good move down the left by Boco in the 18th minutes saw Cash Vinall pull the ball back from the bye-line and Harrison Kyte hammered the ball home from 14 yards. Wick retook the lead on 25 minutes when Kieran Hutson headed home from Dan Sheldon cross. Boco had a great chance to level just before the break from a long ball out of defence well read by Cash Vinall but his first touch let him down and he just managed to pull the ball back across goal but nobody was able to get on the end of the cross. A disappointing second half with both teams finding it difficult to create chances. Harrison Kyte had two bites of the cherry from a freekick after his first shot rebounded off the wall straight back but he could only shoot straight at the keeper. Jacques then saved well from Sam Thomas shot at the other end.

After winning through to the Cup Final last week it was back to league action today for Little Stoke who were up against Ruardean Hill Rangers at home. They started well and Lewis Hogg shot into the top corner on 20 minutes put them 1-0 up. On 38 minutes Jordan Yeo gave away a penalty to Rangers bring down Shaun Tingle who then proceeded to drive the spot kick home. Just 2 minutes later a mix up in the home defence allowed Luke Brown to put Rangers ahead. The lead lasted just a minute as Jordan Yeo’s cross found Ethan Moore on the back post to level the score. Rangers grabbed the winner on 73 minutes when the home defence got in a muddle and Luke Brown was there to score.

An eight-goal thriller at Rockleaze Rangers where todays visitors were league leaders Lebeq United. A Kevin Camargo hat trick in the first 10 minutes shook the home side. He headed Lebeq into the lead after just 1 minute and then scored a second on 6 minutes after a one-two with Shah Bhakerd. The third on 10 minutes came after Elan Plummer’s shot that was saved and Camargo knocked the rebound home. Just a minute later it was 4-0 as Elan Plummer cut in past Nick Jones and Toby Sharpe before firing past Brodie. On 55 minutes Dan Payne cut into the box and drove the ball past Brodie. Rangers then started their come back with a hattrick from Ali Boyer the first on 58 minutes he volleyed home a Nick Jones cross then in the 62nd minute United keeper Amin Jones saved well from a Rory Langdon header but Boyer was on hand to head the loose ball home. He completed his hattrick on 78 minutes after the ball ran loose in and around the box and he fired home from 14 yards.

Three goals all coming the first 45 minutes gave Stonehouse Town a 2-1 win at home to Broadwell Amateurs. Town went ahead on 12 minutes when Luke Soule scored from a good cross in from the flank. They made it 2-0 in the 25th minute when Tim Williams headed in from a Liam Gale cross. Broadwell pulled a goal back just before the break when Harry Williams turned in a Jacob English cross.

A 2-0 win for Hardwicke at Hanham Athletic with the opening goal coming the 20th minute from a goalmouth scramble and Rob Hine getting the final touch. The home side had several good chances to level but wasted them, then on 57 minutes Hardwicke’s Will Higgins was brought down in the box and then took the resulting penalty for a 2-0 lead. To make things worse Hanham then went down to 9 players in the space of 4 minutes but managed to hang on.

A point a piece for Patchway Town and today’s visitors Southmead CS Athletic. There were some early missed chances for the home side before Brandon Benjamin was put clear in the 36th minute, his shot hitting the upright on its way in. A couple of more chances from both sides went begging before Rob Sivers grabbed a point for the visitors in the 88th minute a shot that Patchway keeper Sam Burgess got his hand to but could not prevent it going in.

A resounding 6-1 win for Frampton United at Gala Wilton, but it was the home side who took the lead after 2 minutes from a ball over the top of the Frampton defence that was picked up by Tom Dunsford to fire past the United keeper. Frampton’s Sean Lawson levelled the score in the 25th minute when he danced past several Gala defenders to slot the ball home. 5 minutes later Ryan Vincent and Lawson were involved in a one-two with Vincent finishing the move off. Josh Beadle then set up Manolo Espada to make it 3-1 on 38 minutes, then just before the break Lawson got his second when he tapped in a cross from Espada at the far post. In the 55th minute the Gala defence failed to clear a loose ball and Vincent pounced to net his second. Frampton wrapped it up in the 69th minute when Dominic Brown tapped home.

2nd March 2019 - Les James Cup Semi-Final sponsored by Boca Teamwear

First half flurry sees Boco reach final

Harry Madge

AEK Boco 4-0 Gala Wilton

AEK Boco scored four goals in the opening 25 minutes as they beat Gala Wilton 4-0 to reach the final of the Les James League Cup.

Frank Taylor-Fox scored either side of a Harvey Sealey strike before a Casey Woodman header effectively settled the tie inside the first half an hour.

123 spectators filled the pavilion and lined the touchline at Boco’s Greenbank playing fields to watch the two MARCLIFF Gloucestershire County League sides vie for a place in the final.

The scores were only level for four minutes though as Boco struck the first blow in what was a scrappy early exchange. Sealey’s low cross from the right was met by Frank Taylor-Fox, who managed to poke the ball past the advancing Gala goalkeeper Lewis Skyers.

Boco’s opener seemed to spark the visitors into life and after a spell of dominance, Gala went close to drawing level in the 15th minute. Jay Dare evaded a number of challenges in the Boco box but could only watch on as Jason Littleton flashed wide from his cutback.

Despite Gala enjoying the better of the play, Boco doubled their lead immediately after Littleton went close. Sealey raced on to a Liam Powell through-ball, before rounding the keeper and slotting into an empty net.

With 21 minutes on the clock, Frank Taylor-Fox scored his second and Boco’s third. The winger was brought down on the Boco left, and from the resulting Powell free-kick Taylor-Fox ghosted in to flick the ball past Skyers.

Four minutes later, Boco added their fourth to complete what was an emphatic and ruthless nine 25-minute spell. Frank Taylor-Fox turned provider, whipping in a free-kick, this time from the Boco right, which was met by an unmarked Woodman at the back-post.

As the half time interval approached, both Littleton and Alex Pritchard tested Liam Jacques in the Boco goal as Gala Wilton looked to find a route back into the fixture, but their efforts were saved comfortably.

After the break, the tie became a much tighter affair as Gala’s endeavor and work-rate was matched by a Boco side focused on seeing out the remainder of the semi-final.

The home side did continue to fashion the better openings, but could not add to their tally. Frank Taylor-Fox went close to a hattrick but could only pull his shot wide on the hour mark.

The best chance of the second half presented itself to Boco’s Cash Vinall with only nine minutes remaining. Substitute Scott Robson won the ball in his own half, beat three Gala players and then played Vinall through, but the striker could only crash his shot into the shrubbery behind the goal.

Despite the damming scoreline, Gala maintained their search for a consolation goal and they nearly got it through an unlikely source. With just minutes remaining, Gala keeper Skyers ventured forward for an attacking corner and the man cladded in pink rose highest to head past Jacques. However, the officials adjudged Skyers to have fouled Woodman and the final minutes played out without incident.

Boco, winners of the Les James League Cup in 2017, will face Little Stoke in the final who beat Stonehouse Town 2-1 in the other semi-final.

Little Stoke Triumph at Stonehouse

Mike Wheatley

Stonehouse Town 1-2 Little Stoke

Stonehouse started this game at a disadvantage as they were restricted to 12 players due to injuries & suspensions.

They almost went behind in the first minute, when ‘keeper Will Pedrick fumbled the ball on his goal line.

However, they atoned for this 2 minutes later, when home Number 9 Luke Soule picked up the ball just inside opposition half & ran on, eventually releasing the ball & moving forward to collect the return, but unfortunately his final shot was wayward.

After 8 minutes Little Stoke replied when Keir Williams took a free kick 20 yards out, which was saved by home ‘keeper Pedrick.

End to end activity continued with a Stonehouse corner from the left after 15 minutes was cleared by visitors’ defence.

Little Stoke then took the lead on 20 minutes, when Williams took a free kick from left hand edge of home penalty area & beat ‘keeper Pedrick with a rising shot into the far top corner of his net.

The visitors had a further opportunity after 25 minutes, but the shot went past the post. A corner 1 minute later was also cleared.

A neat move by Stonehouse on 30 minutes resulted in a flick on by Soule which was not collected by his team mate & the chance was missed. This was followed by a free kick awarded following a Yellow Card for visitors’ midfielder Reuben Moreno Draper, which was also cleared,

The home side were level on 35 minutes when a great ball from Tom Palmer was collected by Chris Earle on the right & placed in far corner of visitors’ net.

After 44 minutes a bad miss came from a cleared Little Stoke corner. Collected by Lewis Hogg, he put Luke Meacham through only for him to shoot wide.

A corner from Little Stoke brought the close of the first half, but it again passed everyone by.

The first action of second half was a melee in Stonehouse goal area which was cleared without any damage.

The half continued at a relatively slow pace with little excitement until Little Stoke had the ball in the net on 85 minutes only for Meacham to be ruled offside.

However, on 88 minutes a Little Stoke corner from the right was headed in by substitute Ethan Moore & this proved to be the winning goal.

Both sides produced late flurries & Stonehouse had a shot by Soule cleared off the line in the final minute of normal time.

However final score proved to be 2-1 to visitors, in a fairly uneventful fixture.

2nd March 2019 - Lebeq United hit five against Hanham Athletic

Ron Holpin

The early kick-off at Oakland’s Park between Lebeq United and Hanham Athletic produced six goals but five of them ended up in the back of the Hanham net. Shah Bhakerd rounded Hanham keeper Mason Hawkins in the seventh minute to give them an early lead and the home side scored again when Tom Collett turned in Nathan Halls cross. Hanham hit back when Sam Brown converted a penalty before the break. Dan Payne made it three – one early in the second half when he drilled home from the edge of the box. The visitors enjoyed plenty of possession for the next 30 minutes but failed to score. The home side made it four when they broke away and Nathan Hall netted the fourth. Cameron Brown completed the scoring late on after a good build up down the left.

Henbury got their own back in their local derby with Southmead CS Athletic after being beaten earlier in the season. The home side looked more like scoring than the visitors but were given a helping hand in the twenty ninth minute when a long punt up field by home keeper Cameron Tarr bounced high on the edge of the box and as visitor’s keeper Alvin Quaye came steaming off his line Southmead’s centre back John Henson headed the ball over him and it finished up in the back of their net. The goal that settle the game came in the seventy eighth minute from a throw in by Shaun Heal that found Harvey Moran right on the by-line he slipped the defender cut in towards goal and squared the ball across the six-yard box for Jensen Manning to fire home.

Frampton United gained a 2-0 victory over todays visitors Wick with a double from Manolo Marquez Espada. The home side took the lead after 12 minutes when Joe Wilton’s cross into the box bounced awkwardly for the Wick defence and Espada was there to send the ball home. They then hit the post and the crossbar before the got a second on sixty-eight minutes after Josh Beadle sent the ball out wide to Ryan Vincent and his perfect cross into the box was finished off by Espada.

Just one goal in the Broadwell Amateurs versus Rockleaze Rangers was enough to decide the result. After a fairly even first half Rangers grabbed the winner in the seventy fifth minute. Rangers broke down the left with Joe Weare latching onto the ball his shot was brilliantly saved by keeper Mack Sadler but Ali Boyer was lurking and pounced onto the loose ball to drive it home.

According to the report Ruardean Hill Rangers won this game comfortably but only managed to score two goals. The Patchway keeper seemed to be the busier of the two during the game. After several good attempts on goal the home side took the lead in the twenty eighth minute from a free kick with Charley Mason laying the ball on for Shaun Tingle to score. The visitors had one good chance in the fifty third minute when Dan Rees sent over a cross come shot that landed on the roof of the net. As usual it was Luke Brown at his best picking the ball up on the halfway line cut into the box and fired a low shot into the bottom corner.