News and Match Reports

29th October 2019 - Little Stoke supremo encouraged

Simon Parkinson

ENCOURAGED Little Stoke supremo Ash Coles cast an eye over Saturday’s splendid 3-0 home victory over Sharpness and insisted: "That should act as a big confidence boost."

He takes his team into tricky away combat tomorrow (3pm) as tenth-placed Hardwicke play host to a Little Stoke side displaying won four, lost four, form from their eight Marcliff Gloucestershire County League appearances to date.

Coles was especially satisfied to see his side not only hold firm to their 2-0 interval advantage but go on to add a second half goal against Sharpness guests who have taken to County League life like ducks to water on the back of their 2018-19 Gloucestershire Northern Senior League elevation.

The Stoke boss reflected: "We’d gone into the break 2-0 up in our previous game with Quedgeley Wanderers at their place, only to somehow end up losing 3-2.

"The lads were as upset about that as I was, so when we went in at half-time two-up on Saturday following another good first-half performance it was clear our lads, who have trained really well and hard, were in no mood to allow it to happen again.

"In some ways those two games sum up our inconsistencies; we have to try and do what we did to Sharpness week in, week out. We have it in us as we have the personnel to mix it with any team in our league on our day.

"It was good to keep a clean sheet and it was encouraging to see all three of our strikers – Luke Meacham, Ethan Moore and Blaine Skuse – all scoring, while at the other end we defended well and didn’t offer any real clear-cut chances to a Sharpness side who had lost only once prior to the game and conceded just seven goals.

"I was also pleased with the way our midfield won their battles and created lots of chances leading to goals."

Little Stoke experienced mixed fortunes against Hardwicke, who they faced three times, last term as they emerged with a 4-3 win and 4-1 loss from their two league encounters and fell to a luckless GFA Challenge Trophy first round defeat in shoot-out circumstances following a competitive 3-3 scrap in Gloucester.

The teams are side by side with each other in the current standings around the mid-table reaches, just as they were last season to finish up with.

Coles acknowledged: "We’re looking to carry on with the good form we showed against Sharpness against what is always a strong and physical Hardwicke side.

"I’m confident that we’ll get something from it but we’ll certainly have to work hard.

"Both our reserves and A teams are competing well in their respective leagues too so from a club perspective things are going nicely," added Coles, who is without unavailable central midfielder Blake Lakatos .

26th October 2019 - Wick end Framptons unbeaten record

Ron Holpin

The heavy rain we have experienced in the last two days saw five of seven fixtures scheduled for today wiped out with just Wick v Frampton United and Hanham Athletic v Rockleaze Rangers going ahead.

Frampton United the only unbeaten team in the league lost that record today when they were defeated 3-2 at Wick. On a wet but firm pitch the home started the better and created several chances but it was Frampton’s Ethan Dunbar on 5 minutes that struck a 25-yard drive which brought a great save from home keeper Tyler Edmonds. Wick had to make an early substitution after 15 minutes when Sam Thomas limped off with a suspected broken ankle with Dan Wingfield replacing him. On 25 minutes Frampton keeper Joel White denied Mike Hardiman when he tipped the ball over the bar. Then Frampton got the ball in the back of the Wick net but it was ruled out for offside. Wick opened the scoring on the half hour mark when Joe Thomas followed up after his initial shot was blocked to fire the ball into the far corner. Frampton levelled the score on 40 minutes after home keeper Tyler Edmonds clearance fell to Ethan Dunbar and he coolly chipped the ball into the open net with Edmonds stranded. Frampton’s equaliser only lasted a minute as Shaun Morris drove a crisp shot past White for a 2-1 lead.

Early in the second half Wick’s Jacob Watson squandered a good chance to increase the lead, then for the next 25 minutes the game was even with both sides cancelling each other out. Wick thought they had a good penalty shout when Hardiman went down in the box but play continued. On 75 minutes Wick were on the attack with Charlie Stevens shot being blocked by the keeper and from the break Frampton equalised through Ryan Vincent. The winner came in the 80th minute when a poor clearance from the Frampton keeper Joel White went straight to Max Barker to put them in front again. In the 94th minute Frampton thought they had levelled the score again but the flag went up once more.

Hanham Athletics’ game against todays visitors Rockleaze Rangers finished all square at 1-1. The home side had a very early chance to take the lead when Ash Kendall the right full back burst through and forced a fine save from Rangers keeper Lewis Brodie. Then Sam Brown tested Brodie with a fine shot but the keeper saved well again. On 24 minutes Hanham had the ball in the Rangers net from a header from Jamie Fry but it was ruled out for pushing. Rangers had a great chance on 34 minutes but with the goal gaping Liam Henderson slipped at the last moment. The home side’s Liam Robson should have scored in the 40th minute when clear on goal but shot straight at the keeper. Just before the break Connor Hartley got into the Rangers box pulled the ball across goal but there was nobody following in to just touch the ball home. Immediately after the restart Rangers Dan Webb brought a good save from home keeper Ashley Bamford.

Three minutes into the second half the home side took the lead and it was a great move from Connor Hartley who broke into the box drifted past three defenders before hammering a low cross into the path of Luke Clapp to fire home. Brodie was in action again when he saved well from a Sam Brown free kick before Liam Robson missed the easiest chance of the afternoon from five yards. Next up was Luke Corbiere who could not believe how Brodie pulled of a fantastic save to deny the home side a 2-0 lead. Rangers kept plugging and eventually netted an equalising goal on 83 minutes when the ball came to Mike Perham unmarked in the box, he slipped past two defenders before sliding the ball past Bamford to gain a point for his side.

22nd October 2019 - Rockleaze Boss on exciting times

Simon Parkinson

PETER Bradbury cast an enthusiastic eye over Rockleaze Rangers’ fortunes so far and beamed: "These are exciting times."

His Hillside Gardens charges entertain lowly Broadwell Amateurs tomorrow (3pm) encouraged by the four straight victories that have raised them to fifth in the Marcliff Gloucestershire County League table and only three points adrift of pacesetting Wick, with two games in hand to help peg back the gap.

"The immediate target is to improve on last year’s fourth position," Bradbury emphasised, "although the positive thing is that facilities-wise we can target promotion now which makes for exciting times. So we’ll see where we’re sat in the table in November and decide then whether to apply to go up or not.

"If it doesn’t happen this season then hopefully we’ll be well placed to have a good crack at it next year. But playing at a higher level is certainly the club’s ultimate objective."

It’s coming up to a year since Rockleaze moved into their plush new Hillside Gardens home at the £4.5 million UWE sports complex in Hambrook, although by their manager’s own admission they took some time to adapt to the floodlit artificial pitch they now perform on.

"We’re getting to grips better with it," Bradbury said. "Teams coming to us for the first time last season raised their games but we’ve enjoyed our first pre-season there and we train on the 3G every week in an effort to make it work for us.

"There’s more emphasis on possession and the flat pitch gives your ball players a better chance to shine. There are no excuses for anyone playing on that surface but to really make the most of it you want your best technicians to come to the fore."

Bradbury has been pleased with his more recent recruits, including ex-Wick wide-man Harry Madge, Ollie Woolland and fellow central midfielder Liam Henderson, once of Hallen.

"Harry can play on either flank and he’s done very well driving at full-backs and whipping in dangerous balls," Bradbury recognised.

"Ollie hadn’t been attached to a club for a couple of years but he’s strong and technical on the ball and has been excellent since coming to us, and Liam is in a similar mould while also being a dead ball specialist which adds to our threat.

"All players we introduced over the summer have bought into what we want of them and there’s a genuine belief we can be up there competing hard in a league which has seen everyone beating everyone."

Rangers know all about the threat Broadwell spell to Saturday’s three-point plans, despite the Gloucestershire outfit’s early-season struggles and solitary win so far.

"We lost 2-0 there in the League Cup early last month and although it didn’t tell the full tale of events, they and their keeper produced a defensive masterclass which was disappointing for our forwards who really didn’t do much wrong," Bradbury acknowledged.

"It was a shame to have last weekend’s away fixture with AEK-BOCO called off but we are back to full strength with some 20 to 22 players available to me, which gives me plenty of thinking to do."

19th October 2019 - Wick maintain pace at top of table

Ron Holpin

Top versus bottom Patchway Town at home to Wick and just a single goal was enough for the leaders to take the three points and a first away win of the season. Wick started the brighter but the home side defended well and it took until the 35th minute before Wick managed to get the ball in the back of the net and it was a little fortunate. The ball was crossed into the box from the left it took a deflection to Grant Hewitt on the right of the goal and he fired it back across home keeper Sam Burgess into the far corner.

Wick had the better of the second half Dan Sheldon missed a good chance close in the ball beating him at the far post. Midway through the second half Burgess brought off a very good save to deny Jordan Scott. At the other end Dan Cockram got his shot on target but it was kicked away by the Wick keeper Tyler Edwards. A few minutes later Luke Garbacz was in a good position but fired over the bar for the home side. Patchway’s only real chance of the game fell in the 75th minute when a ball was crossed into the box Shane Walker was completely unmarked in the centre of goal and just the keeper to beat but he headed wide of the target. The last real chance to score fell to Jordan Scott in the 83rd minute but he headed over from a corner.

Gala Wilton hit another four goals in a 4-1 win at home to Hanham Athletic. They only managed the one in the first 45 minutes and that came after 8 minutes from across that was headed back across goal and Ryan Dobbins was there to head home. Early in the second half Gala scored a second this time it came from a corner that the visitors keeper tried to collect but missed it altogether and it left Shay Lyons with a simple tap in. Hanham hit back with a solo effort from Connor Hartley who broke down the wing cut in and fired the ball home. The home side made it 3-1 when Dobbins broke down the flank squared the ball across to Jay Dare to finish it off. The home side netted a fourth on 84 minutes when a Kieran Bryce-Ingles through ball found Martin Smith to hammer it home.

Only one goal in the first 45 minutes between Rockleaze Rangers and Broadwell Amateurs and that came in the 32nd minute when Dan Webb turned in a free kick from Liam Henderson. Toby Walwin fired in the second from 20 yards after the ball had been headed out from a corner. Rory Langdon then made it 3-0 when he tapped in a low drive across goal from Joe Weare. On 83 minutes Dan Bailey got the ball in the net on from Jack Hannam free kick but it was ruled out for offside. But 5 minutes later Harry Madge drilled the ball in after a goalmouth scramble to make it 4-0.

Bromley Heath United recorded their second win with a 3-2 success over today’s visitors Quedgeley Wanderers. They opened the scoring on 3 minutes when Joss Slater headed in from a Luke Bessell free kick. At the other end Wanderers Dorian Colling struck the crossbar. Wanderers keeper Farmer made a great save when he blocked Joss Goss shot at close range. Wanderers Nathan Payne then saw his shot kicked of the line before Harry Maggs headed home to give the home side a 2-0 lead at the break. Early in the second half Bromley’s Joe Goss headed just over from an Adam Campbell cross. Dorian Colling then missed a golden opportunity to pull one back for Wanderers when he was clear on goal but shot wide. Following that the home side took a 3-0 lead when Luke Bessell turned in a Joe Goss cross. Wanderers pulled a goal back on 70 minutes from the penalty spot after Josh Wilson was fouled and Louis Peyton netted from the spot. A second goal from the visitors ten minutes from the end after a mix up in defence with Dorian Colling finding the back of the Bromley net and made it a tight finish but the home side held on.

Little Stoke three Sharpness nil was the final score at Little Stoke Park this afternoon. Stoke scored early on when Luke Meacham drilled in a cross into the box. On 19 minutes Kieron Moore saw his shot well saved by the Sharpness keeper. Then on 31 minutes Sharpness got into a muddle at the back and Nathan Moore made it 2-0. Williams had another chance just before the break but his 20-yard drive just went past the outside of the post. The home side sealed the points in the second half with a third goal after some good work the ball was hit out to the flank and Luke Meacham sent the ball over for Blaine Skuse to drill home.

Frampton United got out of jail with a very late penalty from Ryan Vincent after Henbury had taken a late lead themselves. Ryan Vincent should have opened the scoring with a one-on-one situation after 4 minutes but shot wide of the target. On 9 minutes Henbury’s Adam Rosser saw his long-range effort hit the crossbar. Vincent then stuck the upright from a free kick with the visitor’s keeper grabbing the rebound. Henbury had a great chance to take the lead on 84 minutes from the penalty spot but George Louds shot was well saved by the home keeper. However, Loud made up for that miss just 2 minutes later when he scored from the edge of the box. Then came the late equaliser from the spot by Ryan Vincent.

AEK Boco only managed a 0-0 draw at home to Hardwicke after the visitors had to defend for a great deal of the game. It was a tale of missed chances for the home side according to the report and both sides felt they should have had a penalty, but in both cases, they were turned down. Hardwicke will probably be well satisfied by the result as it gives them another point to try and climb the table.

17th October 2019 - AEK Target Toolstation

Simon Parkinson

AEK-BOCO’s encouraged boss John Winter says his club have the impetus to target Toolstation Western League football head-on now they have the green light to upgrade their facilities.

Buoyed too by last weekend’s 2-0 away victory over previously undefeated Marcliff Gloucestershire County League newcomers Sharpness, BOCO confront another stiff test tomorrow in the shape of Rockleaze Rangers visitors operating well themselves on the strength of three straight wins.

The bigger picture is that the hosts now carry the off-field clout to make a serious play for higher-status football after finally being granted long sought-after council permission to install requisite floodlights, a 250-seat stand and perimeter fencing at their Greenbank Road premises in Hanham.

"We’re naturally delighted about it as it has given us the impetus and enthusiasm to drive us forward, " Winter acknowledged. "It means everyone is willing to help more to keep things moving and trying to make it happen.

"We need to apply for a place in the Toolstation League by Christmas and I’d like to think that we’ll have at least put ourselves in a position to go on and strike for promotion in the New Year around that time. "

In the meantime Winter is hoping his aspiring team can use Saturday’s success at Sharpness as a springboard to achieving that chief promotion aim.

"We started off the season really well with three wins and a 3-3 draw at Henbury before falling by the wayside a little, " the BOCO chief accepted.

"Injuries and unavailability hasn’t helped but we did play some good stuff at Sharpness and even their supporters were saying we’d been one of the best footballing sides they’d faced so far.

"Our central midfielder Liam Powell, one of the most loyal members of our camp over many years now, started to show what he can really do in the side and scored his first goal of the season, and Freddy Taylor-Fox did well wife left upfront coming in from the start after a shin splint injury to replace Kane Mannings.

"Jason Thatcher also took his chance well and scored our first goal 25 minutes in as a replacement for Louis Ross who, like Kane, was on holiday.

"We should have been three or four up come the break but we did a professional job in the second half and got the second goal through Liam after a mazy run by Jake Slocombe.

"By then we’d had a goal somewhat dubiously chalked off for offside after a great turn and shot into the net by Jake. "

Surveying an improving squad picture, Winter said: "Josh Brown is one who has come up from the reserves and done very well with his handy ability to play in both full-back positions.

"The same applies to Cory Langdon, who can also perform either side in wide positions upfront and is a lad who has been with BOCO since he was aged six or so coming up on the conveyor belt.

"We’ve got Rockleaze at home next who we beat 3-1 at theirs at the start of the season. Since then they’ve gone on to climb above us (into fourth place) so it’s an important game from our perspective, just as they’ll all be now with so much to aim for, " emphasised Winter, who can recall Ross as well as 17-year-old utility player Harry Richards from a hamstring injury.

12th October 2019 - Hardwicke have edge over Hanham Athletic

Ron Holpin

The heavy rain that we have experienced over the last few days saw the three fixtures in the South of the County all postponed due to waterlogged pitches. The four in the North of the County all went ahead.

Just the one goal at Hardwicke who hosted Hanham Athletic today. A fairly even game in which both sides put in plenty of effort. The first opportunity fell to Hardwicke’s James Ratcliffe on 6 minutes but he hit his shot just wide of the goal. The visitors made several good breaks down the left flank with some very good crosses zipping across the Hardwicke goal but each time the home defence managed to get them clear. In the 29th minute Paul Carter’s effort was hit straight at Hanham keeper Ashley Bamford. Hanham’s Conor Hartley rounded several Hardwicke players in a drive at goal and got to the edge of the box before a last-ditch tackle took the ball away. Then just before the break Hardwicke’s Kieran Squires failed to get his header on target from a corner.

Hanham forced a corner in the first minute of the second half but the home defence cleared upfield from the cross. 5 minutes into the second half Hardwicke’s Kieran Tracey and Hanham’s Jack Fry clashed after a tackle and both received a red card for the incident. From the free kick which went Hardwicke’s way Paul Carter’s kick was spilled by Hanham keeper Ashley Bamford but they scrambled the ball clear. A good move by the home side on 55 minutes was finished off by Will Matthews to give the home side the lead. A few minutes later Ratcliffe cut into the box from the left but hit his shot straight at Bamford. There was plenty of effort from both sides for the remainder of the game but the score-line remained 1-0.

Wick remain top of the table but their away form let them down when they were beaten 2-1 by Quedgeley Wanderers. Wick had a very early chance to take the lead after 6 minutes with Joe Thomas finding himself with a one on one situation with home keeper Farmer who came out on top with a great save. Wick did take the lead on 13 minutes with a cracking shot from Mike Hardiman. There were several more chances that went begging from the visitors, then on 42 minutes Kyle James-Bryan’s effort went over the bar for Quedgeley. A minute later another good chance for the home side but Nathan Payne shot wide. Right-on half-time Wanderers levelled the score when Kyle James-Bryan turned in Henry Birkett’s cross. In the second half Birkett shot just wide on 77 minutes before Wanderers grabbed the winner in 82nd minute with a tremendous shot from Nathan Payne.

Henbury went down 2-0 at Sharpness who bounced back from their home defeat last week. Dan Gayner went close with a volley on 5 minutes for the home side and then Henbury’s Ross Jones missed a good chance but shot wide. On 16 minutes Tariq Soliman fired over the bar for Sharpness when in a good scoring position. On 19 minutes Henbury missed a great chance to take the lead when Ross Jones shot wide from a Sean Heal cross. David Ragula was unlucky when he saw his goal-bound shot deflected out for a corner on 25 minutes. The deadlock was broken in the 48th minute when Dan Gayner rose to head goal-wards from a Brad Hewer corner and watched as the defender failed to make contact and the ball crept over the line. Henbury were unfortunate when Joe Cox’s shot struck the upright with home keeper Hobbs nowhere in sight. The home side made it 2-0 on 85 minutes with good work down the left and Will Lacey turning in Brad Hewer’s cross.

Ruardean Hill Rangers took the three points with a slender 1-0 win at home to Patchway Town. Home keeper Underwood was called into action in the first minute of the game to clear away a goal-bound shot from the visitors. Then on 10 minutes Patchway’s Dan Cockram rounded two defenders before missed a great chance to give them the lead. The home side worked themselves into the game and Luke Johnson’s long-range effort was cleared off the line by defender Ollie Bacon. Patchway’s Liam Lloyd was fouled on the edge of the Rangers box, the first shot rebounded off the wall and back to Ollie Bacon whose 25-yard effort was scrambled away. The deadlock was broken by the home side when the deadly duo Luke Brown and Luke Johnson conspired to set up Johnson to find the back of the Patchway net. Patchway pushed hard for the equalising goal and chances went begging with Phil Vice, Luke Garbacz and Matt Webb all guilty of missing from close in towards the end of the game.

5th October 2019 - Wick boss demands response

Simon Parkinson

MIKE Strawford is demanding an "appropriate response” from his chastened Wick charges tomorrow as they strive to return to winning ways at home to Ruardean Hill Rangers (3pm).

The Oldbury Lane supremo was, by his own admission, none too pleased with his side’s showing on Saturday in falling to only a second defeat of their Marcliff Gloucestershire County League campaign, as battling new-boys Bromley Heath United snatched a 1-0 win in their own Pomphrey Hill yard to end a five-game losing streak since the start.

"We were dreadful and that’s taking nothing away from Bromley who battled hard to the end," Strawford confessed.

"We had the majority of second-half possession but just couldn’t score and good luck to Bromley. It was strange losing to them as I’d enjoyed good previous connections with members of their backroom team – Ross Britton, Phil Britton and Jamie Britton – during our days at Hanham, and the fact they’re lovely people made it a bit easier to swallow.

"But it was still hard to take and all our lads were very disappointed too. I gave them a dressing down after the game which is not something I’ve done too often. Yes, there have been choice words expressed at half-times but it’s the first time I’ve really felt moved to chuck tea cups and boots around after a game!"

Strawford, whose team have nonetheless won five of their seven games so far, emphasised: "We’ve had up to six players absent for each and every game and until that sorts itself, getting back on track won’t be easy.

"Against Bromley it was a case of square pegs in round holes but on the whole we’ve coped by playing quite a professional game in the main. Sometimes you need to dig deep and ride out storms and we’ve largely done that to get to where we are in the table (third).

"We’re still on the look-out for a 20-goal striker although it’s pleasing that our goals have been coming from all over the park.

"I’d love to be talking about title potential but it’s far too early to even consider it. Gala Wilton, for all their previous problems, are doing fantastically well and Frampton United are still looking their usual solid and consistent selves up there and unbeaten.

"We just need to settle back down and start putting another good run together and hopefully that can start on Saturday against a Ruardean team who tend to blow hot and cold.

"Which of those versions turns up is anyone’s guess."

The Wick chief could recall left-back Kyle Curtis, centre-half Dan Stephens and forward Jordan Scott for the Ruardean visit. Right-back Dan Wingfield (knee) and utility player Jacob Watson (unavailable) are nearing returns, but striker Ben Daniels remains sidelined with a fractured ankle.

Strawford admitted the lead-up to last weekend’s game had been "difficult and sad.” He explained: "A funeral was held for Sean Finnegan, a forward who once played under me at Hanham and Wick. Sean tragically died recently at the age of 27 having taken his own life because of depression.

"Some of our lads played with him during their junior football days and later. I’m glad Sean was given a good send-off with the funeral at Westerleigh Crematorium and wake at Hanham FC and our condolences go to his family."

Meanwhile, Wick are urging anyone keen to help with regular pitch preparation at their Oldbury Lane HQ to make themselves known.

"Our head groundsman Mark Faithfull needs a break after doing an excellent job for us over many years," Strawford acknowledged.

30th September 2019 - Bromley Heath boss reflects on testing start

Simon Parkinson

CRAIG Britton reflected on a testing start to life in the Marcliff Gloucestershire County League for his Bromley Heath United battlers and admitted: "It's not gone quite to plan!"

The Pomphrey Hill outfit rose in a blaze of glory back in the spring as Bristol and Suburban League champions, only five years on from their move to introduce a senior section for the first time having been renowned solely for their provision of junior football since World Cup winning year 1966.

An ambitious merger with Suburban League club Winford PH in 2015 provided the backbone for an impressive period of league and cup successes, led by Britton who was there in charge from the moment the amalgamation was confirmed.

The 25-year-old had performed as a versatile defender with Winford before persistent cruciate knee ligament problems cut short his playing days.

Bromley entertain league leaders Wick tomorrow (3pm) eager to break their victory duck following five straight defeats since the start.

"It's not gone quite to plan so far," Britton smiled ruefully. "It's been a big step up for us it's not likely to get any easier anytime soon as we have Wick next and then (unbeaten) Frampton United in our next game a fortnight later!

"At least our team spirit and the social side of the club remain very much intact."

Still upbeat himself, Britton insisted: "We've shown glimpses of quality and we've created plenty of chances throughout.

"Several injuries to key players have helped nothing. Our centre-half and player of the year last season George Foyle, and striker Mitch Greenaway, both have knee injuries and our experienced keeper Tom Sheppard is out with a torn calf.

"Josh Slater, one of our top scorers last season, has been in America with work but should return after this weekend.

"We're a close-knit group; all of our players are BS15 and BS16 boys in their mid-20s having been here from the start."

The Heath supremo explained: "It made sense to merge with Winford as they had just the senior set-up based at Fry's (Keynsham) in the Suburban League and we only had the long-established junior section at Pomphrey Hill (Mangotsfield), so it was a chance to combine the two and provide a pathway for young players to adult football.

"My brother Jamie, who is president of the whole club now, was chairman of Bromley Heath Juniors so there was that connection too.

"These days we have a development centre for under-5s and 6s; junior age groups all the way through to under-16s plus an under-18 team and three senior sides, so it's all grown massively."

Britton, who managed Winford Reserves for a spell before the tie-up with Bromley Heath where his father Phil is club secretary, said: "Across our reserve and first teams here over the past four seasons we've won six promotions, three league titles and a League Cup, as well as being a League Cup finalist and league runners-up twice.

"Maybe we should have acquired more experience over the summer although I have just signed a couple of players I hope will make a difference in (winger) Dan Fowler, who recently moved to the area, and Jay Malpas, a central midfielder (once released by Bristol Rovers) who has played for Mangotsfield and Paulton in the Southern League.

"Of course, getting promoted was great as we"d worked hard on upgrading the facilities at Pomphrey Hill we share with the cricket club.

"All this has happened a lot quicker than we ever thought possible so it's a wake-up call as we've had a lot going our way over so many years."

5th October 2019 - Rockleaze win seven goal thriller with Gala Wilton

Ron Holpin

An absolute cracker of a game at Rockleaze Rangers who entertained League leaders Gala Wilton and finished up winning 4-3. Rangers took the lead in the 9th minute from a great run by Nick Jones down the left flank and Rory Langdon turned his cross past Lewis Skyers in the Gala goal. Gala’s first effort after 12 minutes was a header from Kieran Mace that went wide following a free kick. Gala’s James Bowers then blasted a good chance over the bar and following that Alex Pritchard’s free kick to the far post was scrambled away by Rangers. Jay Dare then saw his shot easily saved by Lewis Brodie in the home goal. At the other end Skyers saved a Dan Webb 25-yard effort. On 38 minutes a long ball over the Gala defence from Toby Sharpe found Langdon to steer his shot past Skyers.

Within 31 seconds of the second half getting underway Rangers went 3-0 up when the ball was fed out wide right to Harry Madge and his low cross was flicked past Skyers by Dan Webb. Madge almost got clear again but was brought down on the edge of the box in the 48th minute. Gala lifted their game and on 64 minutes they scored when Brodie could only parry the ball away and it fell to Ryan Dobbins to fire home. Just 4 minutes later it was 3-2 when Martin Smith picked the ball up in midfield drove forward and unleashed a shot that flew past Brodie into the bottom corner. Rangers hit back within 2 minutes and a good move down the left with a good cross into the box found Harry Madge unmarked and he fired past Skyers to make it 4-2. Harry Madge then missed a great chance to make it five but pulled his shot wide. On 75 minutes Gala were awarded a free kick just inside the Rangers half wide on the left that was pumped into the box and Martin Smith hammered the ball past Brodie. Gala pushed hard for the equaliser and left spaces at the back and Rangers failed to take advantage. Dan Webb - Jake Hannah and Rory Langdon all had great chances to increase Rangers lead but all were squandered. Gala had one final chance right at the end of the game but Ryan Dobbins fired over the bar.

Wick go back to the top but they had to fight all the way to eventually win their home game 3-2 against today’s visitors Ruardean Hill Rangers. Rangers went ahead after 3 minutes when Luke Brown got behind the home defence shot at goal which was parried by keeper Joe Pople and Brown following up knocked the ball in. Wick’s Joe Thomas – Mike Hardiman and Shaun Morris all had really good chances to score in the first 45 minutes but Wick went into the break trailing 1-0. Rangers Aaron Underwood kept them in the game when he punched clear from another Wick attack on 50 minutes and then it got even worse for the home side on 55 minutes when Steve Coombes scored from 20 yards to give Rangers a 2-0 lead. Wick eventually got back in the game when Jordan Scott scrambled the ball over the line and then came two late goals to win the match. Mike Hardiman levelled the score on 85 minutes and Jordan Scott grabbed the winner in the 88th minute.

Bottom Club Patchway Town who travelled to Henbury without a point on the board and surprised the home side with a 3-1 win to get them off the mark this season. Town opened the scoring on 9 minutes when a ball into the Henbury box which the keeper failed to collected was finished off by Jess Hudson. Patchway netted a second on 59 minutes when Dan Cockram scored from the edge of the box. It got even worse for the home side when Liam Lloyd made it 3-0 to Town. Henbury did eventually get the ball in the back of the Patchway net on 85 minutes when Jack Bebbington headed in a cross.

Hanham Athletic picked up a good point against an unbeaten Frampton United. The home side were not happy on 13 minutes when they gave away a penalty for handball. Ryan Vincent took the spot kick and sent it into the back of the Hanham net for the lead. Within a minute the home side were on level terms when Ben Francis set up Jamie Fry to score from just inside the penalty area. Frampton retook the lead on 33 minutes when they turned the home defence inside out and Steve Jackson had the easy task to score from close range. That lead only lasted 2 minutes as Connor Hartley broke into the United box but was brought down giving the home side a chance to level from the penalty spot and Sam Brown did not disappoint as he hammered the ball into the Frampton net. No further goals in the second half but the home side finished with ten men when Luke Corbiere was dismissed for a second yellow card.

Broadwell Amateurs are gradually slipping nearer the bottom of the table after they were beaten 2-0 at home by fellow strugglers Hardwicke who recorded their first win of the season. The visitors had long spells of possession during this game and both Will Higgins and Will Matthews were guilty of missing early chances before they took the lead on 31 minutes after Alex Brown gave away a free kick on the edge of the box and Paul Carter fired it into the back of the net. The visitors scored a second on 52 minutes Will Higgins hitting a low shot past home keeper Ben Reed.

Quedgeley Wanderers had to come from behind twice before they eventually took all three points against today’s opposition Little Stoke. Ethan Moore gave Stoke the lead on 27 minutes and just 3 minutes before the break Wanderers levelled when Harry Burkett set up Josh Wilson to score, but Stoke retook the lead right on half time through Blaine Skuse. Wanderers equaliser on 70 minutes was a bit fortunate as Reece Hedges put the ball past his own keeper. With 4 minutes left on the clock the home side grabbed the winner when Jimmy Thomas’s cross was finished off by Nathan Payne. There had been other chances throughout the game from both sides but the final score was 3-2 to Quedgeley Wanderers.

Sharpness lost their unbeaten record when they went down 2-0 at home to AEK Boco. Both sides had early chances Boco’s Jake Slocombe had his effort well saved buy the home keeper and at the other end Dan Gayner was denied by the Boco keeper. Boco took the lead on 25 minutes when Jason Thatcher drifted past three defenders before unleashing a shot that flew into the bottom corner. The visitors then made it 2-0 when Slocombe sent the ball to the far post for Liam Powell to score from close range. Sharpness’s Brad Gibbs struck the upright on 70 minutes and a couple of minutes later Tom Patterson had his free kick well saved by the Boco keeper. On 75 minutes Sharpness might have pulled a goal back but Tom Freeman’s effort flew over the bar.