News and Match Reports

28th December 2019 - Gala Wilton take points at Ruardean

Ron Holpin

After suffering a heavy defeat on boxing day to local rivals Broadwell Amateurs Ruardean Hill Rangers were looking to bounce back today with a victory over todays opponents Gala Wilton. Unfortunately, they were unable to break through a tough Gala defence and conceded two at the other end. It was quite a tough encounter with both sides giving the ball away then having to defend to get it back, then in the 13th minute a superb cross from the right by Jamie Bowers was met by Martin Smith and his powerful header flashed past Underwood in the home goal. Gala were unlucky in the 21st> minute when Harry Walkers shot rebounded off the post. At the other end Ruardean’s Stuart Cornwell-Boote’s curling shot from around 20 yards had Gala keeper Dan Brabham diving to his left to push the ball around the post. Another effort from Cornwell-Boote in the 33rd minute saw Brabham in action again to prevent the strikers shot going in. On 38 minutes Ruardean’s free kick specialist Luke Brown had a great chance to level the score from a kick on the edge of the box but his shot was too high.

20 seconds into the second half Rangers gave away a free kick right in the centre on the edge of the box. Up stepped Ben Sluman to take the kick and saw it skim the crossbar. Martin Smith had the ball in the back of the Rangers net in the 49th> minute but the flag had gone up and after the referee and his assistant consulted it was disallowed for offside. Sluman had another good chance for Gala but this time it went wide. On 72 minutes Rangers had their best chance of the afternoon when a long ball up field found Luke Brown, he made space to shoot but then hit it straight at Brabham. Gala’s Craig Howell’s free kick from the edge of the box also skimmed the top of the bar Gala made it 2-0 on 79 minutes when the ball was slotted through the home defence Underwood started to come, then hesitated and retreated allowing Jay Dare to nip in and slot the ball into the Rangers net. Luke Brown could have reduced it to 2-1 in the 85th minute when he had the chance to lob the ball over Brabham but hit it hopelessly wide of the target. In 3rd minute of added time the last chance for Rangers to pull a goal back fell to Sub Brian Burke whose fierce drive had Brabham tipping the ball over the bar. The two defeats so close to each other and teams around them winning Rangers have now dropped to second from bottom.

AEK Boco hammered five into the Henbury net without reply, but the opening goal did not come until the 44th minute. Jack Winter’s shot was parried by the Henbury keeper and Jake Slocombe was there to fire home the first of his four goals of the afternoon. The only effort from Henbury in the first 45 minutes came from Harvey Moran a shot well saved by home keeper Kane Manning. Henbury were reduced to 10 men in the 50th minute making it really hard for themselves against a rampant home side. Slocombe got his second in the 52nd minute again he followed up from a Jack Winter shot that was only parried by the visitor’s keeper. In the 79th minute a Liam Powell free kick was spilled by the Henbury keeper and that man Slocombe was there again to slot the ball home. An 89th minute goal from Sam Their made it 4-0 and a poor clearance for the Henbury keeper a minute later went straight to Slocombe to score his fourth of the afternoon.

Bromley Heath United’s 3-0 win over high riding Rockleaze Rangers will do the team the power of good. The home side started well and had an effort from Joe Goss saved by Brodie early on and a few minutes later Jack Withey’s shot went just past the post. The home side went ahead on 28 minutes from a good cross into the box from Joel Mitchelmore that was driven home by Ross Beazer on his debut for the Club. On 35 minutes Todd Carter headed in from a free kick to make it 2-0. Just before the break it could have been three but Joe Mitchelmore’s shot struck the post. The home side kept the pressure on and Joe Goss had his shot well saved by Brodie 2 minutes into the second half. Rangers had few chances on goal but might have scored on 54 and 57 minutes if they had been more clinical. United wound the three points up with a third goal put away by Jack Withey.

A game of very few goalscoring opportunities at Quedgeley Wanderers where today’s visitors were Broadwell Amateurs. The only really good chances to open the scoring in the first 45 minutes fell to Broadwell’s Jamie Powell but he shot wide, then Wanderers first effort on goal fell to Nathan Payne in the 42nd minute but his shot was deflected away for a corner. Wanderers Rory Cawkwell was unlucky when he got the ball past Ben Reed in the visitor’s goal but it was cleared up field by a defender. The only goal of the game went to Broadwell a cracking 35-yard free kick from Jamie Powell that flew into the roof of the Wanderers net. The home side had one more chance to level the score in the 74th minute but Cawkwell’s shot was well saved by Reed.

Five goals two sending’s off and two goals in the first 6 minutes by the visitors in an action-packed match at Hardwicke where today’s opposition were Wick. Wick took the lead on 5 minutes when a back pass from Toby Webb to keeper Tom Kaye saw the keeper try to dribble past Joe Thomas lost the ball that went to Dan Bendall and he struck it into an empty net. A minute later Joe Thomas’s 25-yard shot flew over Kaye’s head to put Wick 2-0 up. Hardwicke had a good chance to pull a goal back in the 20th minute when Pat Vernall cross was met by Will Matthews who rose to power his header goalward’s only to see keeper Joe Pople make a very good save. 2 minutes later Jordan Dowdeswell saw his cross shoot across the goal-line and nobody able to get on the end of it. At the other end Kaye was in action again saving well from Jacob Watson after Mike Hardiman had sent over a superb cross. On 35 minutes the home side reduced the arrears when Will Matthews read a Dan Wingfield back pass and nipped in to slot the ball past Pople. A Glen Gittin’s header early in the second half made it 2-2 and all to play for, but on 60 minutes there a was a scuffle and two players received their marching orders. Niall Morgan for Hardwicke and Nathan Goodwin-Worrell for Wick. The home side were awarded a penalty in the 65th minute when Will Higgin’s was brought down but Pople saved the penalty taken by the same player. Hardwicke stole all three points when a Dowdeswell corner was headed in by Will Matthews. The home side well pleased with the result after being hammered 6-0 by Wick earlier in the season.

26th December 2019 - Broadwell win Boxing Day Derby

Les Lewis

After an early morning inspection, the pitch was passed playable for this Boxing Day fixture between hosts Broadwell Amateurs and neighbours Ruardean Hill Rangers. 204 local supporters turned up to watch this local derby, inspired by the previous feisty league encounter a few weeks ago.

It took just 10 minutes for Broadwell to gain the lead, a Craig Tait free kick on the edge of the area was met by Danny Latham who headed the ball into the path of Steve Belfitt to tap home from close range. The lead was short lived however, one minute later Ruardean were level. A poor clearance by Fishwick found Luke Brown his effort on goal was saved by keeper Reed the ball falling to Stuart Cornwell-Boote who fired into the empty net. The visitors were the better side for the following 10 minutes putting the home defence under pressure. Luke Johnson saw his well-timed volley sail over the bar whilst Keetch for the home side played a quick one two with Tait on the edge of the box keeper Underwood saving his shot. On 35 minutes Broadwell regained the lead veteran Belfitt was first to the ball from a Tait corner firing high into the roof of the net.

Second half Broadwell exploited gaps in the Ruardean defence Liam Thomas seeing at least three efforts on goal go over the bar. Then on 80 minutes he made amends latching onto a loose ball in the box from a free kick to hit the ball home from 12 yards. Manager Liddington brought on two under 17 players for the final 10 minutes, Dan Brain and Brennan Baldwin. On 90 minutes it was the youngster Baldwin who secured the 4-1 victory, his first effort on goal saved by Underwood the ball kindly rebounding back into his path to drive home from 12 yards. A well-deserved victory under difficult playing conditions with Referee Kevin Slade in total control of the game.

23rd December 2019 - Strawford challenges his team

Simon Parkinson

WICK'S heartened manager Mike Strawford is challenging his team to replicate their splendid county cup conquests when they re-enter the knock-out tournament arena tomorrow.

The Marcliff Gloucestershire County League high-fliers could have been forgiven for receiving their second round GFA Challenge Trophy pairing with Hellenic Premier Division’s second-placed side Fairford Town with some trepidation.

Yet far from sitting back and admiring the evident powers of their Step 5 guests on Saturday, Wick motored into a 2-0 first-half lead through Sam Thomas’ delicious low free-kick bent around the wall into the bottom corner and Mike Hardiman’s superb looping 30-yard strike above the startled away keeper’s head.

The home team also had efforts by Ben Payne and Thomas both sides of the break disallowed for offside so given those near misses and a raft of other squandered opportunities which went the way of Wick, it was with some frustration from the hosts’ perspective that Jody Bevan’s men struck back to force spot kicks with two second half goals, the second, agonisingly, in the 90th minute.

Still Wick weren’t to be denied as their keeper Joe Pople’s penalty save from the very first Fairford take proved decisive as his side went on to complete a dramatic 5-4 shoot-out success.

A satisfied, if not relieved, Strawford smiled: "It really shouldn’t have got that far as we should have been well out of sight before they started pegging us back.

"It was still all good at 2-0 up at half-time when I spoke to the lads about good game management and looking after the ball properly.

"We hadn’t played a game of any type since the last round of the competition in mid-November (against Rockleaze Rangers), so I knew we’d get tired on a heavy pitch, one that nevertheless held up pretty well.

"It was just a shame that their late equaliser stemmed from us giving the ball away near their corner flag. They launched it long which led to a corner from which they scored with a header.

"At that point it was gutting as we knew we’d missed chances to have already sewn it up and penalties are always a lottery.

"But we came through it and it was a bit of a scalp for us given the two-division gap between the teams.

"Both their manager and I admitted it hadn’t been a top priority for either of us and both sides rested players, but Fairford still had quality and we were all delighted to get through it as you always go out to win no matter what the game."

Remarkably third-placed Wick haven’t featured in league activity since the 3-2 November 2 success at Gala Wilton.

That return will have to wait a little longer too, until the Hardwicke away-day on December 28, as tomorrow they hit the road to joust with table-topping Frampton United for a tasty Les James League Cup quarter-final tie at Bell Field (2pm).

The Oldbury Lane leader recalled: “We beat them 3-2 at ours in the league a couple of months back in a close game and of course Frampton is always a hard place to play so it will be a real test.

"I’ve been pleased at how well a couple of our young lads have come in and taken their chances recently, namely Ben Payne, a very good and composed central midfielder with height - around 6ft 6 inches - on his side and Nathan Goodwin-Worrell, also a teenager and ball-playing centre-half who reads the game so well.

"Both lads started against Rockleaze in our last game and deserved their chances again against Fairford," insisted Strawford, who will oversee a fitness test to Jordan Scott while hoping to have fellow centre-forward Dan Bendall available from a long-term hamstring condition.

Despite those two possible options, Strawford emphasised: "We’re looking at strengthening our frontline over the next week or two as we’re just not taking enough of the good chances we’ve been creating."

21st December 2019 - Wick strike late to progress in cup

Ron Holpin

A mixture of fixtures today with two in the league being completed, one in the Les James League Cup Quarter Final and a GFA Challenge Trophy game postponed from last week. Three others were postponed because of the weather conditions we have experienced this week.

Les James League Cup Quarter Final sponsored by Boca Teamwear

In the Les James League Cup Competition Quarter Final Frampton United had been drawn at home to Wick. With both Clubs in the top three in the table this was always going to be a tight affair and so it turned out to be. A very late goal by Wick sent them through to the Semi-Final. The open exchanges were fairly equal and the first attempt on goal came from Wick a shot from Sean Morris om 14 minutes which did not trouble keeper Pete Davis. A 25-yard drive from Joe Thomas on 20 minutes had Davis diving to his left to keep it out. Six minutes later a dangerous dipping shot from Mike Hardiman saw the keeper push the ball over the bar. A curling corner from the left from Wick beat all and skidded out at the far post. In the 30th minute Wick put together a very good move down the left which involved Alfie Clarke – Mike Hardiman and Joe Thomas which saw the shot from Thomas go just wide of the far post. Just before the break a rare attack by the home side saw Manolo Espada miss a really good chance to put Frampton in front.

The home side looked a better side in the second half and the pace of Ethan Dunbar was causing some concern in the visitor’s defence. He could have possible put Frampton ahead in the 56th minute when he got into a good scoring position but the final shot was poor. The home side had an even better chance to open the scoring in the 60th minute when Dunbar got behind the Wick defence and pulled the ball back for Manolo Espada but he miss-hit his shot which was then spilled by keeper Joe Pople and eventually finished up going out for a corner. The home side were showing their best form of the afternoon and in the 63rd minute might have scored but for a desperate piece of defending by the visitors the ball eventually being knocked away for a corner. Dunbar was at it again in the 79th minute with a good shot from the edge of the box that just cleared the bar. Wick rode the storm and went up the other end and Joe Thomas had his shot on target blocked by home keeper Davis. With the light fading quickly it looked as though the tie would have to be decided from the penalty spot but a break by Wick in the 89th minute saw Mike Hardiman fire his shot past Davis for a 1-0 lead. The home side pushed hard in the last few minutes of time added but the visitors held on for the win.


Rockleaze Rangers move into third in the table with a 2-1 victory over Little Stoke. Dan Webb had a great chance to put the home side ahead on 13 minutes but after beating the Stoke keeper he failed to hit the target. He made up for that miss in the 39th minute when a long goal kick from keeper Lewis Brodie was flicked on by Rory Langdon and Webb with a one-on-one situation slotted the ball past keeper Archie Watts. In the 57th minute Rangers were awarded a penalty after Marcus Williams was brought down but Dan Webb’s penalty was poor and keeper Watts saved well. Rangers made it 2-0 in the 86th minute after George Holland had found Dan Webb to cross the ball in for Rory Langdon to tap it past Watts. 2 minutes into time added at the end of the 90 minutes a cracking shot from Stokes Reece Hedges flew past Brodie. With 7 minutes of added time the last few minutes were a tense affair but the home side hung on for the 3 points.

Quedgeley Wanderers gained a 2-0 victory over today’s visitors Hanham Athletic with a goal in each half. The home side had numerous chances according to the report. Liam Thomas was the first with a shot that just cleared the bar followed by Dave Cummings Sean Lawson and Luke Groves all wasting chances to score. The home side went ahead on 22 minutes from a Nathan Payne free kick that was turned in by Jordan Rouse. Just before the break home keeper Nathan Charnock made an excellent save to deny Connor Hartley’s free kick going in. Wanderers made it 2-0 in the 57th minute when Nathan Payne whacked Sean Lawson’s cross past the Hanham keeper. The home side continued to create chance but they were all squandered and they had to settle for that 2-0 win.

GFA Challenge Trophy Round 2

Ruardean Hill Rangers v Shirehampton from the Somerset County League ended in a 3-1 win for the home side. A Steve Clark hattrick saw rangers progress to the next round. A good interchange between Luke Brown and Steve Clark in the 13th minute ended with Clark firing the ball past keeper Turner. The visitors had the better of the first half with Richard Brightwell Dan Spicer and Ryan Meacham pushing the home defence hard for the equaliser but Rangers defence held well. Early in the second half Rangers lost the ball in midfield it was lifted over the defence and Dan Spicer slotted the ball past Underwood. Clark then scored his second to put his side 2-1 up and he completed his hattrick in the 75th minute after Luke Brown had intercepted a pass in midfield got to the goal-line and squared the ball back.

16th December 2019 - Bradbury hoping to propel Rockleaze to new heights

Simon Parkinson

ROCKLEAZE Rangers manager Peter Bradbury is hoping his team’s "fantastic" last-gasp victory exploits can help propel them to fresh Marcliff Gloucestershire County League heights.

Desperate to respond to a Hardwicke goal on the stroke of half-time, the Hillside Gardens hosts were dramatically bailed out by a superb 90th-minute chipped effort by Dan Webb and a Jordan Connor clincher, moments after his arrival from the bench, to seal an unlikely 2-1 weekend win.

The three points mean Rockleaze confront mid-table AEK-BOCO on their travels tomorrow (2pm) in fourth spot and only four points off the pace set by Frampton Athletic and Sharpness.

The encouraged visitors go to Greenbank Road acutely aware of an unwanted eyebrow-raising statistic too – Rangers have yet to beat "bogey team" BOCO in six seasons of home and away duels.

There was added reason for celebration too at Connor’s thrilling late intervention, a composed finish over the falling keeper with his weaker right foot as he fastened on to an inviting Webb pass.

Bradbury explained: "Jay (Jordan) has had a horrendous time of it with injuries and this was his first appearance in two-and-a-half seasons. He tried to make a comeback in pre-season but struggled with his knee again.

"Jay is a centre-forward who was an influential, clinical and willing runner prior to all his injury problems, so he’s been a big miss to the team.

"Hopefully he can stay fit now and although it may be too soon for a start, it will be hard not to give him decent game time after that."

Bradbury enthused: "It was an amazing moment when he scored as he’d only just come on. Every player went to mob him over by the corner flag and we on the side couldn’t believe it either as a few minutes earlier we were just grateful for an equaliser.

"We’d huffed and puffed after conceding against the run of play just before half-time and it felt like it would be one of those days.

"You could tell Dan’s equaliser, a moment of magic as he turned and deftly chipped it from a tight position just inside the angle of far post and crossbar, knocked the stuffing out of Hardwicke as they’d defended so doggedly."

The Rangers supremo observed: "Our form has been a bit patchy but we’ve also had lots of players missing. When we lost 2-1 to Wick in the GFA Trophy last month we had 12 players out injured. So we’ve done well to pick up a couple of wins and draws in those circumstances.

"Players are coming back now, though, and it feels like we’re getting there again."

One such returnee, from an Achilles injury, is all-action central midfielder Mark Ridgway, affectionately dubbed Rangers’ ‘Ginger Kante!’

Wick’s former right-sided attacker Harry Madge (hamstring) is also poised for a comeback "soon" along with first team captain George Bassett (broken toe) who, having not kicked a first XI ball in anger this term, has been steadily regaining full match fitness with the club’s reserves and A teams and starting to “look sharp” once more, according to his manager.

Regular teenage right-back Toby Walwin and creative central midfielder Liam Henderson, who both sustained ankle injuries during a late-October 1-1 stalemate with Hanham Athletic, are eyeing early New Year recalls.

Others remain sidelined for now but Bradbury is positive about his team’s prospects of keeping hold of their current top-four position.

"It’s so tight up there," he emphasised. "It’s encouraging for me that we’re only four points off the leadership having been without so many key players. If we can get a good run going and still be in that top mix I’ll be happy.

"When we turn up and perform on any given day we can beat anyone,but BOCO have been a real bogey team of ours down the years and they had a good (5-2) win at Gala Wilton at the weekend, so it goes without saying we can’t take them lightly."

14th December 2019 - Hanham and Broadwell share points

Ron Holpin

A very poor weekend for fixtures with only two league fixtures scheduled and four in the GFA Challenge Trophy Round 2.

Only one of the league fixtures went ahead and just two of the GFA Cup games took place.

The pitch at Hanham Athletic was in remarkable condition considering the amount of rain that has fallen over the last few days. Hanham’s opponents today were Broadwell Amateurs from the Forest-of-Dean who are currently struggling at the bottom end of the table, but they took the lead on 6 minutes with a good move down the right and a great cross into the completely unmarked Steve Belfit by Kristian Burnard unfortunately the striker failed to control the ball and the Hanham keeper Sam Brown smothered his shot on goal, it rebounded back across goal and was quickly knocked back across and Belfit got the finest of touches of his head the ball hit the post and finished up in the back of the Hanham net. The visitors were having the better of the match and in the 12th minute Hanham defender Jack Baber brought Kristian Burnard down wide on the right and on the edge of the penalty area. Craig Tait slipped the ball back for Jamie Powell and his low drive saw keeper Brown turning the ball round the post for a corner. The home sides first effort on goal came after 15 minutes from George Cryer but a last-ditch block by Broadwell defender Greg Lewis deflected the ball away from goal. The only other effort from the home side in the first 45 minutes came after 26 minutes a long range shot from Connor Hartley that failed to really test keeper Ben Reed.

As lack lustre as the home side had been in the first half, they started really well in the second period and after 5 minutes they were level when Connor Hartley got to the goal-line and pulled the ball back right into the path of Louis Coppard to drive it past Reed. Another effort from Coppard in the 63rd minute from a free kick was on target but did not trouble Reed who fielded easily. Coppard was at it again in the 68th> minute from just inside the box he hit a low shot through the visitor’s defence and Reed pushed it round the post at the last moment. In the 73rd minute Coppard should have given the home side the lead but from 6 yards out he sent the ball over the bar. In the 75th minute Hanham appealed for a penalty as George Cryer burst into the box and went down after being challenged but the Referee said no. The home side were definitely on top and Broadwell were having to defend resolutely to keep them out. Jack Baber hit a 30-yard free kick straight at Reed on 84 minutes then in the 88th minute Broadwell struggled to clear from a goalmouth scramble and Sub Mason Hawkins struck the post from 14 yards. The last chance to win the game fell to Connor Hartley in the 46th minute of the second half but he shot straight at Reed.

GFA Challenge Trophy Round 2

Wick Football Club go through to the 3rd round after knocking out Fairford Town from the Premier Division of the Hellenic League. Wick thought they had taken the lead after 6 minutes when Ben Crouch headed home from a free kick but it was ruled out for offside. Wick did however, take the lead on 20 minutes from a Sam Thomas free kick that he stroked into the far corner. The home side increased their lead to 2-0 on 37 minutes from a 30-yard powerful shot from Mike Hardiman that hit the roof of the net. In the 50th minute Fairford Town had a great chance to pull a goal back but the effort went wide of the post. The home side should have been 3-0 up in the 65th minute when Sam Thomas found himself clear on goal but Fairford keeper Gavin Jones managed to smother the shot. Just a minute later Fairford pulled a goal back after they broke clear down the right flank and the cross in was met by Connor Thompson who neatly took the ball in his stride and drove it past Joe Pople as he came out to close him down. Jones in the visitors goal then pulled of a save to deny Joe Thomas and in the 85th minute did really well to save a Sam Thomas shot that had taken a deflection off of a defender. Wick’s Sam Thomas had the ball in the back of the Fairford net in the 86th minute but again it was ruled out for offside. Right on 90 minutes Fairford made it 2-2 when Nathan Hawkins headed in from a corner which sent the game into penalties. Wick eventually ran out winners by 4 goals to 2 and take their place in the next round.

Gala Wilton are also through to the 3rd round with a 2-1 victory over Bromley Heath United both from the Gloucestershire County Football League

9th December 2019 - Minihane relishing opportunity at Patchway Town

Simon Parkinson

TIM Minihane says he is relishing an opportunity to manage his home town club following the most challenging of 14 months attempting to steer Tytherington Rocks to safer shores.

The embattled 37-year-old former Oldbury Reserves boss was recently relieved of his post at perennial Hellenic League Division One West strugglers Tytherington but was quickly scooped up by Patchway Town player-boss Phil Vice, who had been confronting his own similar battles head on in the depths of the Marcliff Gloucestershire County League basement.

The pair oversaw last weekend’s spirit-raising 2-1 Scott Park success over local rivals Little Stoke, an outcome all the more eye catching as Ash Coles’ visitors had won their four previous games.

A much happier Minihane, who had watched his new side crash to a 7-0 away mauling by AEK Boco the previous week, enthused: "Saturday against Little Stoke was everything we’d been working on.

"We were outstanding in the second half and with only one sub too due to a lot of unavailability.

"I’m delighted as it’s been a big thing for me. I’m a Patchway lad who grew up in the town and played for their reserves once or twice eight years or so ago.

"I’d just left Tytherington and was having conversations down my local pub. I knew Patchway’s assistant manager Thomas Vaughan couldn’t commit anymore and that the manager Phil was still an important member of the team, predominantly as a midfielder.

"He asked me if I would be prepared to look after the changing room on matchdays and deliver the team talks to allow him to concentrate on playing and that is what’s happened, with the help of others.

"It’s still predominantly Phil’s team and he’s doing a great job under difficult circumstances. Everyone is pulling together, training numbers are good and the players are realising they have to put in the effort if they want to get rewards."

Of that Little Stoke pick-me-up, Minihane recalled: "We were 1-0 down (through Blaine Skuse) amid an early wobble. We’d created a few chances but looked shaky at the back.

"We rode our luck initially as they had a disallowed goal just before half-time and then our Sam Burgess made a fantastic save from a penalty soon after half-time to keep us in it.

"After a few tactical adjustments at the interval we went on to defend resolutely, springing counter attacks brilliantly, creating good chances and scoring two quick goals, both by Jesse Hudson from quality balls in by Josh Morris down the right.

"Fair play to the Little Stoke manager Ash afterwards as he came in and said we’d thoroughly deserved it. So it was a very satisfying afternoon.

"It was a proper derby with thunderous tackles and brought only our second win of the season. It’s given us belief but we need to keep going until we’re mathematically safe, which is why this Saturday’s home game with Bromley Heath is a must-win one along with all the others we face."

Asked about his Tytherington departure Minihane, whose Patchway hopefuls are at Thornbury Town on Tuesday night (7.30pm) for a GFA Challenge Trophy second round affair, admitted: "I was very disappointed at how my time with Tytherington ended and how the club dealt with me.

"But I had lessons I wouldn’t have experienced in any other circumstances and I don’t hold any grudges; I wish them all the best.

"I was asked to resign based on the team not showing enough progression. My stint there affected my life personally as I gave everything to try and make a success of it.

"I was touched by a couple of local clubs who got in touch, and others from the wider community, appreciating what I’d done there as I felt we’d put the right foundations in place.

"But that’s gone now and hopefully I can enjoy more successful times with Patchway.

"I’m delighted to be involved on matchdays again, even though I was only out of the game for about two weeks when I felt like a lost sheep!"

7th December 2019 - Patchway Town salvage late point against Bromley Heath

Ron Holpin

A must win game for both sides at Patchway Town who entertained Bromley Heath United for today’s’ fixture. It ended all square at 1-1 but the visitors will feel aggrieved after giving a penalty away in the 89th minute having led from the 19th minute of the game.

Bromley Heath were the much better side in the first 45 minutes having the most possession and creating several chances beside the one they scored. They were unlucky in the 10th minute when Nathan Rose sent a long cross from a freekick to the far post which was met by Jack Withy but keeper Lee Mason just managed to tip the ball over the bar. On 15 minutes Patchway failed to clear from a Nathan Rose curling free kick and only a brilliant save by Mason stopped the visitors taking the lead. Patchway’s first effort on target after 17 minutes was a free kick from Jessie Hudson that went straight to Tom Sheppard in the visitor’s goal. Bromley took the lead on 19 minutes from a long free kick out on the left to the far post and Jack Withey rose to head the ball back across goal and past Mason. A couple of minutes later Phil Vice tested Sheppard again but the keeper was not troubled by the shot. Another good chance for Bromley came in the 29th minute when Jay Malpas pulled the ball back for Josh Slater who crashed his shot against the crossbar. The only other effort from town that Sheppard had to deal with came in the 40th minute a cross from Lewis Toop that had the keeper back pedalling to prevent the ball going in.

The home side fared a lot better in the second half having much more of the possession and Lewis Toop had Sheppard diving to his left to prevent the ball going in from a free kick on the left. Dave Prichard should have scored from a good cross from the right but his powerful header flew over the bar. On 88 minutes Bromley broke following a Patchway attack with Todd Carter feeding the ball across to Josh Slater but with a clear shot on goal he skied it over the bar. Just when it looked like Bromley would take the three points, they gave away a penalty when Joe Dalby broke into the box was brought down and Lewis Toop neatly put the spot kick away to salvage a point for the home side.

Frampton United remain top of the table with a convincing 4-0 victory over Little Stoke. Frampton went 1-0 up on 20 minutes when Craig Mills sent Ryan Ford clear to slot the ball home. They made it 2-0 in the 41st minute when Ford grabbed his second turning in a cross from Fin Blythe. Stoke were unlucky in the 60th minute when Dominic Brown cleared off the line after Luke Meacham had beaten keeper Taylor. 5 minutes later Taylor had to save again from a Luke Meacham effort on goal. In the 70th minute Little Stoke’s defence got into a muddle and Ryan Vincent capitalised to put United 3-0 up. Just before the end Ryan Vincent collected a second goal to make it 4-0 and right at the death Little Stoke had Andrew Criddle sent off for an incident off the ball.

Rockleaze Rangers had a home fixture for the second week in a row and the visitors this time were Hardwicke. After losing out to Sharpness last week Rangers scored two late goals to snatch the three points today. Rangers Rory Langdon was unlucky in the 13th minute when his looping header struck the crossbar. Right-on half-time Hardwicke took the lead after a mix up in the home defence Hardwicke’s Kieran Tracey drilled the ball past Brodie. In the 86th minute Hardwicke had a great chance to go two up but Lewis Brodie brought off a great save to deny Ryan Barrett. On 90 minutes Dan Webb scored with a delicious chip into the top corner from 12 yards to level the score and in the 94th minute Rangers grabbed the 3 points with a goal from Jordan Connor who came on as sub for his first game in 3 year after suffering numerous injuries.

AEK Boco travelled to Gala Wilton for todays game and came away with a resounding 5-2 win. The opening chance fell to the home side early on when Ben Sluman break down the right and final shot was blocked. Boco capitalised on a defensive mistake in the 21st minute and Jake Slocombe opened the scoring. 4 minutes later Slocombe and Cory Langdon interchanged passes with Langdon finishing off to make it 2-0. Two minute later it was 3-0 Jake Slocombe turning in a low cross from the right. It went to 4-0 in the 32nd minute when Harry Richards was put clear with a one on one situation and he coolly slotted the ball home. In the second half Gala performed a little better and in the 66th minute they pulled the score back to 4-1 Ryan Dobbins heading in from an Adam Loveridge cross. On 90 minutes Boco scored again Jaye Rudge was left with a simple tap in after another defensive mistake by the home side. In time added Gala netted a second Byron Lloyd lobbing the keeper to make the final score 2-5.

Sharpness continue their good form with a 2-1 win at Hanham Athletic. The first real chance in the game came in the 33rd minute from Hanham’s Dan Gayner his shot hitting the inside of the post. In the second half Luke Clapp’s header from a Ryan Crewe free kick was just wide of the post. The home side took the lead on 52 minutes with new signing Lewis Coppard breaking down the wing sending in a low cross that was turned into his own net by Mitch Malshansky. Three minutes later a Jamie Fry effort from distance just cleared the bar. The Sharks levelled the score in the 70th minute from a Will Lacey corner that was completely misjudged by the Hanham keeper Max Heaven and the ball went straight into the net. The Sharks were fortunate to get their second goal in the 87th minute. Keeper Dan Hobbs took a freekick from just inside his own half and Jack Baber unfortunately headed the ball past Heaven into his own net.

A 1-1 draw at Henbury where today’s visitors were Quedgeley Wanderers. Both goals came in the first 45 minutes with the first going to Wanderers on 25 minutes the home side lost possession and a quick break from Wanderers saw a good finish from Nathan Payne to put them 1-0 up. Henbury levelled the score on 38 minutes from a corner taken by Adam Rosser and headed in at the near post by brother Aaron. Both sides cancelled each other out in the second half.

A big local derby at Ruardean Hill Rangers whose opponents today were local rivals Broadwell Amateurs. The game end 1-1 but there was plenty of action throughout including two sending’s off. The first action came from Broadwell a long-range free kick taken by Alex Brown which was saved by Underwood. Steve Belfit was next to test underwood in the home goal. The home sides first effort on goal came from a five-man passing movement between Johnson the two Mason’s and Fellows before Jonston’s final shot went over the bar. Broadwell went ahead from a long punt up field by Broadwell’s keeper Ben Reed the home defence failed to clear and Steve Belfit ran clear to score. Ruardean found themselves down to 10 men when Fellows received a red card for a second yellow card offence. The home side drew level on 45 minutes with a fortunate goal from a Brown free kick that took a deflection of defender Sam Keetch and finished up in the back of the Broadwell net. Even thought they were down to ten men the home side were much the better for the first 30 minutes of the second half, Luke Brown had a shot blocked by Alex Brown. Broadwell could have stolen the three points when Liam Thomas was put clear by Steve Belfit but he miss-hit his shot and Underwood saved easily. Rangers were then down to nine players when Mitch Griffin was also red carded for two yellow card offences. Right at the end Broadwell’s Bernard, Thomas and Belfit had shots on target blocked by the home defence to earn them a point.