News and Match Reports

26th March 2020 - League Statement season 2019/20

Peter Langley

Dear Colleagues

The Football Association has taken the decision today, that all football at levels 3 to 7 will end immediately for the 2019-2020 season.

The FAs decision will affect the MARCLIFF Gloucestershire County Football League whereby those restrictions will also apply to this league for season 2019-2020.

This means that those leagues now become null and void and records expunged for the season.

The League Management Committee, for the first time in its history, will see the 2019-2020 season become null and void and all records will be expunged.

The decision will mean no club will be promoted and no club will be relegated.

FA Statement below

I am sure that along with you all, the health and safety of others is more important at this time.

We look forward to resuming in the future.


Peter Langley
Gloucestershire County Football League

FA Statement

22nd March 2020 - Patchway Town well placed to beat drop

Simon Parkinson

PATCHWAY Town’s enthusiastic No.2 Tim Minihane believes his rejuvenated team are well placed to beat the drop - IF the season is to continue.

Like everyone else in local football, the assistant to manager Phil Vice is watching and waiting to see whether there is any hope at all of the Marcliff Gloucestershire County League programme picking up where it left off last weekend due to Coronavirus disruption.

Patchway had been pencilled in for a crunch home encounter with fellow basement scrappers Hanham Athletic tomorrow until the FA announced all fixtures under its national umbrella would be suspended "until at least April 3."

In the meantime Scott Park performers and officials have been enjoying an extended bask in the afterglow of Saturday’s 3-0 away defeat of near-neighbours Little Stoke.

Former Tytherington Rocks manager Minihane reasoned: "If the season is to end here then it’s a nice way to sign off, provided we don’t get relegated!

"As is stands we have eight games remaining and four of those are against sides in and around us – Hanham, Broadwell, Bromley Heath and Ruardean Hill.

"Given that, and how we played at Little Stoke, I’d be confident we’d turn things around in the normal scheme of things although of course these aren’t normal times.

"We’ve made a couple of good signings of late including Joe Barnes, a bright young prospect I worked with at Tytherington early in the season."

Of that recent recruit, Minihane explained: Joe’s only 18 and a towering lad well above 6ft with a bright future in the game ahead of him.

"His first goal on Saturday came as their keeper fumbled it and he smashed in the loose ball. Joe’s second was a first-time shot from outside the box which flew into the net. That made it 3-0 and we knew Little Stoke would need a miracle to get back into it.

"Joe holds the ball up really well too and he’s clearly learnt a lot over the past few months.

"Not one of our other players had an off game either and we made no mistakes which contributed to us keeping a clean sheet too which is always encouraging.

"Our boys responded brilliantly to a big occasion in front of a 100-plus crowd: everyone had gone into it fully focused. It’s interesting that of our four wins this season three have been in local derbies, two against Little Stoke and the other against Henbury.

"It shows the lads have the bit between their teeth for those types of games and it’s an attitude they need to replicate every time they play as our games to come against Broadwell and Hanham, if they are to go ahead, are must-win or certainly no-lose ones at the very least."

Minihane conceded: "We have no crystal ball so only time will tell what will happen concerning the rest of the season. For us we stop at a time when it feels as though we’re starting to get there.

"The whole league has been hit by a double whammy as teams were facing almost an impossible fixture backlog anyway because of the bad weather.

"The FA has set April 3 as a deadline to resume but really they and we don’t know how long all this will be going on for.

"If you extend the season too much at any level you impact summer sports such as cricket and tennis and that could see clubs involved in those going to the wall.

"Rugby Super League is another sport played over the summer as it doesn’t attract big attendances during the winter with football and rugby union to compete with.

"Personally I can’t see how local football can continue this season. And if clubs like ours were relegated in an incomplete campaign it wouldn’t be fair, not while there’s eight games left to dig our way out of it.

"With those couple of new lads coming in and everyone buzzing it would be devastating were we to go down having not had the opportunity to give it a go."

14th March 2020 - Patchway Town stun Little Stoke with derby win.

Ron Holpin

A very local derby Little Stoke v Patchway Town with just a mile between the two Clubs. On paper Little Stoke nestling in mid table were probably the favourites to win this game with Patchway Town propping up the table. But how wrong can you be as the visitors looked the much better side throughout the game and thoroughly deserved to go away with a 3-0 win and the three points. The first 30 minutes saw constant attack from Town and they took the lead on 14 minutes when the Little Stoke keeper dropped the ball and Joe Barnes was there to knock the ball in. They went further ahead on 31 minutes from a good break down the right and a cross to the far post that was neatly headed in by Jamie Packer. Just before the break Little Stoke had a couple of half chances the first was brilliantly saved by keeper Sam Burgess and the second was scrambled away.

Five minutes into the second half Patchway scored a third goal a brilliant shot from the edge of the box by Barnes that flew into the net. Little Stoke made several substitutions to try and get back in to the game but it was definitely not their day that belonged to Patchway Town.

An entertaining game at Broadwell Amateurs who played host to a Wick side looking to gain points on the leaders. It turned out to be an eventful game that saw the home side come back twice but then conceded a very late goal to lose 3-2. Wick had a great chance to take the lead in the first 20 second but Sam Thomas fired over from 10 yards. On 20 minutes a half chance for the home side was cleared off the line. Wick went ahead on 28 minutes when Alfie Clarke picked up a poor clearance and he fired the ball into the corner of the net. All in all, the home sides performance in the first half was way below par. Things looked a bit better on 52 minutes when Liam Thomas intercepted a pass and hit a first time shot past keeper Joe Pople to level the score. The home side performance was much better now and Ben Fishwick could have made it 2-1 but shot over the bar. Wick retook the lead from a quick free kick that caught the home defence napping with Mike Hardiman driving the ball past Watkins in the home goal. A couple of minutes later 17-year-old Watkins pulled off a great one handed save to keep his side in the game. Broadwell levelled again in the 86th minute Danny Latham turning in an Adam Fowler cross. But with just 2 minutes left to play up popped Hardiman to grab the winner and move his team into second place.

Top of the table Frampton United versus second bottom Hanham Athletic looked like forgone conclusion on paper but the visitors surprised the leaders and went home with a point. Frampton were not at their best according to the report and had a lucky escape after 15 minutes when they managed to clear the ball off their line. The best they could offer in the first 45 minutes was long range shot from Craig Mills that sailed over the bar. Mills was at it again on 50 minutes with the same result the shot went wide. The home side did however, break the deadlock in the 73rd minutes when Jonathan Lewis squared the ball across goal for Ethan Dunbar to tuck it away. Just 3 minutes later Hanham forced a corner and the cross fell to Darius Davey whose shot was deflected into the Frampton net for an own goal. On 88 minutes Manolo Espada dragged his shot wide when in a scoring position and right at the death Dunbar’s shot was saved by the Hanham keeper.

Hardwicke one Gala Wilton one was the final score. The home side took the lead on 17 minutes from a 25-yard free kick taken by Marcus Foxwell. A minute later Steve Bick had a great chance to make it 2-0 but shot wide. On 27 minutes Gala keeper pulled off a good save to deny Bick getting a second for the home side. Gala drew level in the 63rd minute from a Craig Howell pass into Ryan Dobbins and he ran clear to score. Gala almost snatched the three point in the 80th minute but for a great tackle from Pat Vernall to deny Martin Smith.

Two teams in the top four had to make do with a point a piece in a 1-1 draw between Sharpness and Rockleaze Rangers at Hamfields Leisure Centre. The first chance fell to the home side a cross from Tom Freeman that found Alex Gayner but keeper Lewis Brodie saved well. 30 minutes into the game Fin Small set up Gayner but he missed the target. Sharpness took the lead in the 35th minute Tom Freeman rising high from a corner to head past Brodie. Rangers levelled the score just 3 minutes later Mark Hatfield put Dan Webb clear to fire past Hobbs in the home goal. Rangers had a great chance to take the lead on 48 minutes when a mistake in the home defence allowed Webb to round keeper Hobbs but then he shot wide. On 52 minutes Alex Gayner might have scored from Fin Small cross but Brodie denied him again. On 60 minutes Fin Small found himself in a one-on-one situation but failed to get the ball past Brodie. In the 62nd minute a collision between Webb of Rangers and sharpness keeper Hobbs resulted in the keeper having to leave the field injured. Alex Gayner took over in goal and was called up on to make two really good saves late in the game denying Rangers the three points.

11th March 2020 - County League win representative game

Jon Palmer

Gloucestershire Northern Senior League 1

Marcliff Gloucestershire County League 5

Higher level quality shone through in the end as the Marcliff Gloucestershire County League ran out comfortable 5-1 winners in their first ever representative match against the Northern Senior League.

Coles of Wick went on from the bench and scored a second-half hat-trick for a team managed by his club’s boss, Mike Strawford.

One division feeds the other, so the County League XI were fully expected to come out on top at Slimbridge’s Thornhill Park, but the first half was closely-contested throughout.

The strong wind was behind the Northern Senior side, who were joint managed by Chalford’s Ben Powell and Brockworth Albion’s Mark Mulraney.

It was nip and tuck, with Berkeley’s Sam Blackie forcing a save and then Andy Maryon hitting the bar in the 13th minute as the County League nearly found themselves behind.

But they opened the scoring in the 20th minute when Wick’s Max Barker finished well after a surging run from Henry Birkett of Quedgeley Wanderers.

That was the solitary goal of the first half, but with the elements now in the County League’s favour, the second period was far more one-sided.

Half-time substitute Coles made it 2-0 in the 47th minute with a long-range shot that looped beyond the reach of goalkeeper Rob Sims, with the weather conditions undoubtedly playing a part.

Luke Barstow cleared one off the line to prevent Alfie Clarke extending the County League’s advantage, but Coles nodded in number three after Clarke’s cross from the right in the 56th minute.

Barstow pulled one back a minute later, volleying home after a corner, but the impressive Birkett smashed in the goal of the night to make it 4-1 from more than 30 yards in the 63rd minute.

Coles completed his treble with nine minutes left to round off the scoring although Jordan Alderman was denied by County League goalkeeper Dan Hobbs in the final seconds.

Northern Senior league (3-4-1-2): R Sims (Chalford); S Payne (Brockworth Albion), L Barstow (Chalford), J Davis (Chalford); J Taylor (Brockworth Albion), A Roberts (Chalford), D Wilkinson (Brockworth Albion); S Blackie (Berkeley Town); A Maryon (Chalford), S Wines (Lydney Town). Subs: E Jordan (Kings Stanley), J Coakley (Charlton Rovers), S Jordan (Bredon), J Alderman (Brockworth Albion).

County League (4-3-3): D Hobbs (Sharpness); L Peyton (Quedgeley Wanderers), N Goodwin-Worrell (Wick), R Ponting (Sharpness), N Jones (Rockleaze Rangers); A Clarke (Wick), H Birkett (Quedgeley Wanderers), S Morris (Wick); M Barker (Wick), D Webb (Rockleaze Rangers), E Moore (Little Stoke). Subs: B Alexander (Wick) , P Coles (Wick), D Gayner (Sharpness), N Dennis (Frampton United).

Referee: A Shilston.

8th March 2020 - Strawford taking nothing for granted

Simon Parkinson

MIKE Strawford says he will take absolutely nothing for granted when his Marcliff Gloucestershire County League XI enter the representative arena once more for an intriguing match with their Gloucestershire Northern Senior League counterparts.

The fixture takes place this Wednesday night, March 11, at Slimbridge’s Wisloe Road ground (7.30pm). Entry cost with a programme is £2.

This will be the third time Strawford, the Wick manager currently caught up in attempting to steer his high-flying team to a first-ever County League title with a Les James League Cup semi-final at home to Gala Wilton also a mouthwatering prospect on April 4 (3pm), has taken charge of rep teams.

Last season Strawford oversaw a first victory in five attempts against Gwent League at Tytherington before taking up the rep reins once more in May for a match, which they lost 4-1, with a Toolstation Western League XI at Stonehouse staged as part of the County League’s 50th anniversary celebrations.

Strawford has been busy finalising his squad while confirming four players from his own Wick team - Alfie Clarke, Joe Thomas, Mike Hardiman and Dan Stephens – will be involved in a 16-man squad.

"It was nice to be asked again to manage the County League side," Strawford enthused. "It’s one of those honours you don’t always get in football and I jumped at the chance.

"It will be my third as manager: we beat Gwent 1-0 for a first-ever win over them (in February 2019) and we gave a good account of ourselves against the Toolstation League despite having a few lads unavailable due to the Bank Holiday weekend then. The 4-1 result didn’t reflect our performance.

"We’ll be playing lower-level opposition this time but we’ll certainly not take them for granted. I’m more or less there with the squad but I’ll still be putting in a few calls after our own game on Saturday to check availability as there are injuries around.

"Some clubs are reluctant to release their players if they have important issues at stake involving their league situations as they don’t want them getting crocked. I understand that so we’ll be careful and respectful to them."

Strawford continued: "I’ve asked clubs for any recommendations if there are lads they feel deserve a call-up. Most clubs will be providing players or have at least been approached.

"For the two previous games I picked players from nine clubs, even those struggling in the league. This time we’re looking at about six clubs involved and all competing at the higher end of the table.

"We can take five substitutes so I’ll have 16 players on the night all of whom will get a run-out.

"I’m expecting a good, competitive game. The Northern Senior League operates a level beneath us but teams fresh from that league, namely Sharpness and Quedgeley Wanderers who joined the County League this year, have been very competitive.

"We’ll have enough centre-forwards in our line-up and a lot of ball-playing types so the emphasis will be on attack which is how I like to play football; quick and dynamic.

"We’ll enjoy the moment and hopefully get a win."

In the meantime it’s business as usual for Strawford’s in-form fourth-placed outfit as they target the win at Henbury that could tighten the current six-point gap between them and Frampton United leaders who have played two more games.

Wick have also been bolstered by the arrival of experienced former Longwell Green Sports and Roman Glass St George centre-forward Paul Coles, while fellow frontman Warren Forrest, once of Welton Rovers also in the Western League, has been snapped up from Bristol Premier Combination club DRG SV Frenchay.

Another former Welton performer, winger/defender Ben Alexander, is also aboard although Strawford expressed "disappointment" that talented young central midfielder Ben Payne has opted to join Mangotsfield United’s Southern League mission.

"It’s a shame given we’re in contention for a league and cup double but we wish him well," the Wick chief said.

7th March 2020 - Wick made to work hard for points at Henbury

Ron Holpin

Wicks visit to Henbury brought them the three points but they had to work very hard for them. A tremendous shot from Alfie Clarke saw the Henbury keeper Lewis Jefferies just tipping the ball away for a corner on 6 minutes. Henbury first effort on goal was a weak effort from Otis Francis on 13 minutes. Sam Thomas then shot wide for the visitors when well positioned and Jefferies fisted a free kick away from a Clarke in-swinger from the right. Clarke should have scored on 25 minutes when he intercepted a poor pass but then with just Jefferies to beat, he shot wide. At the other end Adam Rosser tried his luck from 30 yards but it went over the bar. Then just before the break Clarke was through on goal but took to long and the defender got back to block his shot.

Wick attacked from the off in the second half and Jefferies made two great saves to deny them a goal. Mike Hardiman went close in the 57th minute when his free kick just skimmed past the far post. Although the home side were difficult to break down Wick were seeing more of the ball in attack and broke the deadlock on 59 minutes with a goal from Paul Coles. The visitors continued to push and a break down the right by Watson was halted with a free kick and from the resulting cross into the box Jefferies managed to grab the ball in a bunch of players. Jefferies who had an outstanding game saved well again on 73 minutes form a point-blank Thomas shot. The game was marred in the final minutes when Henbury’s Ross Johnson was sent off and Harvey Sealey was sent to the Sin-Bin.

Rockleaze Rangers hit five against Quedgeley Wanderers with just one in reply mainly due to a first half hattrick from Dan Webb. Rangers opened the scoring on 14 minutes when Webb turned in a Rory Langdon cross but within 30 second Wanderers were level for a long ball out of defence that found Dorian Colling to out pace the home defence and slip the ball past Lewis Brodie. Within a couple of minutes Rangers retook the lead this time Dent put the ball through to Webb whose first shot was parried by Farmer but Webb followed up to score. On 28 minutes Rory Langdon’s double effort first hitting the crossbar and then the post in the space of few seconds. Langdon had another great chance on 35 minutes but Farmer saved well. Webb completed his hattrick on 37 minutes scoring from an acute angle. On 52 minutes Jordan Dent made it 4-1 when he turned on the edge of the box and fired past keeper Farmer. On 69 minutes the Wanderers keeper Farmer was unlucky when a cross from Mark Hatfield stuck the joint of the bar and post and rebounded of the back of the keeper into the net.

Frampton United continue their quest for the title with a 4-1 victory over local rivals Hardwicke. The home side went ahead on 37 minutes when Nathan Dennis headed in a Fin Blythe corner then a couple of minute later missed the chance to make it 2-0 when Hardwicke keeper Tom Kaye save well from Dan Martin who was clear on goal. Then right-on half-time Hardwicke levelled the score with a Kieran Squires goal. Right from the start of the second half Frampton’s Dan Martin made it 2-1. Then Manolo Espada got in on the act with a 20-yard rocket that flew into the top corner to make it 3-1. Espada rounded the scoring off on 86 minutes when he scored again from a corner.

Patchway Town were well beaten at home to AEK Boco and went 1-0 down after 9 minutes a shot from Cory Woodman striking the cross bar and bounced down over the line. Woodman gave the visitors a 2-0 lead with a second goal scored from the edge of the box. Patchway hit back and made it 2-1 on 22 minutes Phil Vice scoring from a corner. Then 2 minutes to half time Jake Slocombe made it 3-1. A Jessie Hudson cross found Lewis Toop just a few yards out but he shot wide and that would have made it 3-2. Boco got their fourth and final goal in the 79th minute when Freddie Taylor-Fox rounded the keeper to slot the ball home.

Bromley Heath United and Broadwell Amateurs end 2-2 with the visitors scoring the equalising goal 7 minutes into time added at the end of the game. Kristian Burnard gave Broadwell an early lead and it took the home side until the 38th minute to level the score and it came from a powerful shot from Jay Malpas that the visitor’s keeper could not hold and Cameron Gardiner followed in to score. Jay Malpas then put the home side 2-1 up in the 42nd minute with a good volley. There was no further score until that last gasp equaliser from Ben Fishwick who bundled the ball home following a scramble in the box.

Just the one goal at Gala Wilton where today’s visitors were Sharpness. The visitors came away with the three points with a solitary goal scored just before half time. Both Ryan Dobbins and Jay Dare had early chances for the home side, but Dobbins shot wide and Dare straight at the keeper. Sharpness striker Dan Gayner then missed a good chance on 23 minutes and Fin Small dribbled past several home defenders only to lose the ball at the last moment. Sharpness went ahead in the 42nd minute with a cracking free kick from Brad Hewer curling the ball over the wall and into the Gala net. Martin Smith had a great chance to level on 52 minutes but his header missed the target. On 66 minutes Jordan Molyneux struck the cross bar for the home side. Then late in the game Ben Sluman’s effort skimmed across goal and out of play.

Ruardean Hill Rangers are still looking to climb the table and went down 2-0 at home to Little Stoke. The opening chance fell to the home side a free kick from Shaun Tingle that just went past the post. Little stoke looked the better side and when Fraser Robertson sent the ball out wide to Hill on the flank his cross into the box was scrambled into the net by Luke Meacham. A good move by Ruardean’s Tingle Brown and Griffin combined well with Griffins shot going just wide of the post. Within a minute of the second half getting underway Little Stoke made it 2-0 Ethan Moore scoring from the edge of the box. The visitors had most of the play and both Lamir and Hill had chances to increase the lead. Then right at the end of the game Luke Meacham’s shot struck the outside of the post.

20th February 2020 - Referees Appointment Officer

Gloucestershire County Football League is looking to appoint a dedicated Referees Appointment Officer who will be responsible for attaining 100% coverage across matches for season 2020 / 2021.

The successful applicant will join a very progressive League Management team and be expected to appoint officials to matches and maintain records on their performance.

The ideal person would be someone who has previously refereed or is refereeing and can develop relationships with local Leagues / County / FA to ensure the development of match officials by providing them with opportunities to learn and progress.

Ensure that all Match officials adhere to FA Regulations in respect of registration.

Ability to work to tight deadlines.

Knowledge of the structure and organisations in local Football.

Experience of working with volunteers.

Strong IT skills and can be contacted by telephone, text and email.

The successful candidate will receive an honorarium along with any travel expenses when on League business.

If you wish to make an application outlining your experience, to be considered for the position, submit details to Peter Langley (Chairman) 07941 360398 or email

Closing date Monday 23 March 2020. (Noon)

13th February 2020 - Representative Game

Gloucestershire Northern Senior League


Marcliff Gloucestershire County Football League

Wednesday 11th March 2020

at Slimbridge Football Club

Kick-off 7.30pm.

£2 entry fee with programme