News and Match Reports

31st October 2020 - Bromley Heath Boss wants more of the same

Simon Parkinson

CRAIG Britton is urging his revitalised Bromley Heath United players to produce more of the same at home against Hardwicke tomorrow (2pm).

Frustrated and concerned by a run of four straight defeats from the Marcliff Gloucestershire County League campaign’s commencement, Britton’s boys have suddenly clicked into gear and with some gusto and potency too.

Not only did Bromley Heath follow up a 4-0 home loss at the hands of Wick in the league with a 7-1 away mauling of Ruardean Hill Rangers in the Les James League Cup to ignite their fortunes three weeks back, but seven days later they were registering precious first points by powering past visiting Hanham Athletic 5-1.

Britton’s battlers had eyed more of the same away against Gala Wilton last weekend until Covid-19 concerns expressed within both camps led to an unfortunate postponement.

Both teams are happily back on the starting blocks tomorrow, with Britton hoping his charges can pick up where they left off when Hardwicke come to Pomphrey Hill for an intriguing joust.

"The last two games have been brilliant," chirped Britton. “The confidence you can get from results and performances like those is massive and now we’re hoping to build on that and kick on.

"It seems to be a habit of ours, starting seasons slowly as we did when we first joined the league last year before getting our act together better.

"Having a few key players missing through injury at the start of this season didn’t help, although I felt even in losing 4-0 against Wick that some green shoots were starting to show.

"We were never four goals worse than them and at only 1-0 down inside the first hour we were well in it until we gave away a silly penalty and fell apart a bit after that.”

The Bromley boss has welcomed two key performers in “talented” new teenage keeper Joel Manning and midfielder Tom Shopland back from the treatment room.

And he feels the signings of pacy former Oldland Abbotonians winger Antonio Nurse, who has two goals to his name in three appearances, from Bishop Sutton; rapid striker Kaylen Edwards from Stockwood, who netted two debut goals in the Ruardean Hill cup thrashing, and Tiago Mateus, another quick flank man who joined over pre-season before heading to Portugal for family reasons before scoring in both Ruardean Hill and Hanham successes, have "made a difference."

"Joel is a really promising and talented goalie at only 16 or 17 and it’s good that he’s back from a hamstring injury,” Britton said.

"We picked him and Kaylen up from St Brendan’s College through a contact there who just so happens to be my brother Jake!

"We as a team just need to carry on in the same vein now although Saturday against Hardwicke will be tough as while we’ve yet to face them since joining the County League, we know that all Gloucester-based clubs are well organised and physical and we need to be ready for that.

"As far as the season goes I just hope we can all complete it first and foremost and that we can finish in the top half, something I feel we’re well capable of doing with the squad we have now."

31st October 2020 - Rockleaze Rangers edge out Hanham Athletic

Ron Holpin


Covid 19 and the weather saw four fixtures postponed today.

A really exciting game at Hillside Gardens where Rockleaze Rangers played host to Hanham Athletic. Both sides played some attractive football on the 4G surface the passing movements by both teams were outstanding at times. The home side probably shaded the possession during the game but when Hanham attacked they looked really dangerous. Rangers were unlucky not to have taken the lead on 7 minutes when Jordan Buckett’s header thumped against the crossbar following a corner. On 14 minutes Rangers opened the scoring after Miles Hatfield fed the ball to right full back Ile Jarrett to fire past Mason Hawkins from 14 yards. Rangers keeper Jordan Dunning then made two outstanding saves to deny Hanham getting on level terms the first a 25-yard drive from Ben Alexander which he tipped over the bar and then a minute later he turned the ball around the post. On 31 minutes Hatfield was again involved with the second goal for Rangers drifting past a number of Hanham defenders before slipping the ball to Jordan Dent to score. 5 minutes later Rangers under pressure gave away a penalty and Sam Brown hit a tremendous shot into the roof of the net to make it 2-1. The visitors almost levelled on 38 minutes but Connor Hartley’s header hit the post. Rangers should have made it 3-1 when a long ball was latched onto by Dent and with just Hawkins to beat, he pulled his shot wide. He made up for that miss in the 65th minute when he rose above the Hanham defence to head the ball on to Miles Hatfield to run clear and dink the ball over Hawkins to make it 3-1. Rangers Jordan Dent had the ball in the back of the net again on 72 minutes but it was ruled out for offside.

Wick hit back after their defeat last week to win 2-1 at home to Henbury who have yet to find their first win this season. The home started well and both Jordan Scott and Paul Coles had early chances but Henbury keeper Lewis Jefferies kept them out. On 9 minutes Scott had a great chance to give Wick the lead but after meeting a Jordan Yeo cross headed wide of the target. A few minutes later a Mike Hardiman effort was headed over the bar by the Henbury defence. But surprisingly with all that early pressure from the home side they fell behind in the 17th minute from a free kick that they failed to clear and Shaquille Hunter hit the ball through a crowd of players into the Wick net. The lead lasted just a minute when Mike Hardiman’s shot was turned into his own net by Sam Fitzpatrick to level the score. The second half belonged to the home side and they had numerous chances to take the lead but were unable to break down a very stubborn Henbury defence. Then in the 80th minute the home side eventually broke through that defence when Jefferies who had been the Henbury hero spilled a long range shot from Kyle Curtis and Jordan Scott was there to hit the rebound into the net.

Ruardean Hill Rangers led their home game with Gala Wilton 2-0 but collapsed to eventually lose 6-2 to the Gloucester side. Rangers had a great chance on 2 minutes but Steve Clarkes cross into the box was missed by everyone and went out for a goal kick. Gala’s Ryan Dobbins could have given them the lead on 5 minutes but for Underwood’s brilliant save form his header. On 25 minutes Underwood was in action again this time saving well from Jay Dare. Rangers went ahead on 35 minutes finishing off by Stuart Cornwell-Boote following a great team build up for the goal. Then in the 42nd minute after a good build up again the ball came back to Luke Brown to round keeper Lewis Skyers to make it 2-0. A couple on minutes later Steve Clarkes shot whistled past the post. Gala pulled a goal back just before the break when Ryan Dobbins headed in a great cross into the box. Then before the whistle blew for half time Underwood brilliantly saved from Gala’s Jack Holmes. 2 minutes into the second half the scores were level Ryan Dobbins grabbing his second of the afternoon. Then just 3 minutes later Dobbins was put clear to complete his hattrick and put his side 3-2 up. Gala’s Jay Dare should have made it 4-2 a couple of minutes later but failed to beat Underwood. Gala did score a fourth on 70 minutes when Martin Smith was put clear to fire past the Rangers keeper. A looping header for Dan McNally on 85 minutes made it 5-2 and a second from Martin Smith a minute later gave the visitors a resounding win.

Sharpness and Quedgeley Wanderers shared a point each with a 1-1 draw in difficult conditions at Hamfields. A 15th minute corner by the home side was cleared to Paterson who hit a left footed shot at the Wanderers goal but keeper Nathan Charnock pushed it behind for another corner. The first half an hour was a balanced affair with Quedgeley breaking the deadlock on the half hour mark with a great cross field ball to Jimmy Thomas who rounded Dan Hobbs and smartly finished passed the back-tracking Sharpness defence. Sharpness had a goal marginally disallowed for offside from Strickland and found themselves trailing 1-0 at the break. The second half saw an instant reaction with Ryan Ponting floating a great ball for Sam Strickland to volley home. The game could have gone either way with Quedgeley having a Liam Thomas corner cleared off the line by Mitchell Malshanskyj and Sharpness having both Brad Gibbs and Brad Hewer blazing just wide from outside the box. Two great chance in the second half for the home side saw the Quedgeley goalkeeper saving twice from Alex Gayner with one being clawed off the line.

24th October 2020 - AEK Boco come back for late win at Wick

Ron Holpin


Wick’s visitors today were local rivals AEK Boco and 125 spectators braved the wet and windy conditions to see a very close game with AEK Boco bouncing back after their first defeat last week to win this game 3-2. This defeat the first of the season for the home side was lost in the very last minute of the game. In the very first minute Wick hit the post following a goalmouth scramble. Boco’s first effort on goal after 13 minutes when well over the bar. Wick almost broke the deadlock on 42 minutes but Joe Thomas saw his goal bound effort turned around the post by Boco’s keeper Luke Bond.

The second half looked promising for the home side when Jordan Yeo had the ball in the back of the Boco net on 50 minutes but it was ruled out for offside. However, the deadlock was finally broken in the 67th minute when Russ Woodford forced the ball home to give Wick the lead. That lasted just 2 minutes as Charlie Stevens terrific shot hit the underside of the bar on its way in to make it 1-1. Wick regained the lead in the 75th minute when James Pocock stabbed home from close range, but Boco hit back immediately when Nathan Hall rounded keeper Ashley Wintle to level the score again. The nail in the coffin for Wick came in the 89th minute when Nathan Hall’s shot from an acute angle went in at the far post.

Patchway Town got off to a flying start at home to Frampton United and it took just 3 touches before Jacob Cox lobbed the Frampton keeper after just 10 seconds. The visitors settled down and levelled the score in the 24th minute when Manolo Espada finished off a Charley Hobbs cross to make it 1-1 at the break. The home side retook the lead on 50 minutes and it was Jacob Cox again hitting the corner of the net after Fin Thompson had set him up. Frampton hit back again on 66 minutes from a long corner that eluded everyone and Jonathan Lewis was at the back post to score. Patchway grabbed the winner in the 72nd minute from a corner with Joe Teague out jumping everyone to nod the ball home.

Henbury have yet to register their first win of the season and were pipped by the odd goal in five at home to Rockleaze Rangers this afternoon. The home side fell behind in the 14th minute when Rangers Jimmy Woolland sent over a cross that deceived everyone and went in at the far post. Then came a great chance for Rangers to increase that lead on 20 minutes Sam Fitzgerald brought Sam Bailey down in the box, he got up to take the penalty but missed from the spot. Just 10 minutes later Rangers did increase their lead when Harry Madge found the back of the net in a goalmouth scramble. Henbury had a marvellous chance to pull a goal back in the 38th minute when Kaylen Simpson was brought down in the box but Jenson Manning missed from the spot. Rangers made it 3-0 on 67 minutes from a cross into the box and Marcus Williams finished it off. Henbury rallied and hit back with two goals in 2 minutes the first on 75 minutes when Thomas Butt hit the top corner of the net after being played in by Reece Purnell. Then a minute later Joe Cox broke through the Rangers defence before lining up Kaylen Simpson to score. The home side pushed really hard in the last 14 minutes but were unable to break through the Rangers defence to level.

A heavy defeat for Quedgeley Wanderers at home to Shirehampton going down 5-1 and that sent them to the bottom of the table on goal difference. Home keeper Nathan Charnock was in action early on for the home side keeping the Shire forwards out, then a double save by the Shirehampton keeper from Nathan Payne prevented the home side going ahead. In the 31st minute Quedgeley gave away a penalty and Ciarin Greening made it 1-0 from the spot. Greening was on target again on 37 minutes making it 2-0 to Shire with a hard-low shot from just out-side the box. Rangers pulled a goal back on 40 minutes from a Nathan Payne corner that was not cleared by the Shire defence and Ellis Waugh sent a delicate chip over the keeper. 3-1 to Shire on 49 minutes after Joe Harvey set up Greening to complete his hattrick. Dean Griffiths made it 4-1 on 71 minutes with a hard drive from the edge of the box and Joe Harvey made it 5-1 in the 88th minute when he chipped the keeper from the edge of the box.

Little Stoke have yet to record their first win of the season and went down 2-1 in their first home game of the season. The home side started really well and took the lead on 8 minutes when the Sharpness defence were caught out by a long ball over the top and Ethan Moore nipped in to slot the ball home. Sharpness levelled on 36 minutes when the home defence allowed Brad Gibbs to slip through to slot the ball home. But with just 10 minutes left Sharpness grabbed the winner with a bit of luck when the home keeper let a Marley Thomas’s free kick slip through his hands and into the net.

19th October 2020 - Thomas back in business at AEK Boco

Simon Parkinson

SPENCER Thomas is back in senior football business – and he’s relishing the moment sat at the head of the Marcliff Gloucestershire County League table with AEK-BOCO.

The 46-year-old former Hanham Athletic, Oldland Abbotonians and Longwell Green Sports manager left the adult soccer scene in favour eventually of overseeing junior and youth sections run by BOCO’s burgeoning Hanham-based Greenbank Road club over the past four years.

Of his elevation to the senior hot seat this summer, Thomas explained: "I’d been running the ‘kids’ sides here from under-12s through to under-16s and that emerging group ended up winning league and cup doubles in the Avon Youth League three years on the spin.

"They were a very good footballing team and a lot of those lads went on to play academy football with local pro clubs. Some were awarded scholarships and others went on to colleges such as Bath, Hartpury and SGS.

"I was informed John Winter and Gary Lancaster, who are both BOCO through and through over so many years, were stepping down (as manager and assistant) and while I’m not sure if they asked anyone other than me to fill the breach, I could tell they wanted a fresh input and for me it’s a great opportunity to push them towards where they want to be, which is a league above.

"Whether or not it happens this year remains to be seen. We have a very young side who have won their first four games and played some fantastic football.

"But we cannot be resting on our laurels; there are big and experienced teams in this league and that makes for some tough trips, not least into the Gloucester region."

Thomas is far from operating alone at the Greenbank Road helm: he has pulled in another former Hanham boss, John Barker, and Harman Boyce, as his helpers.

"John had spells coaching with Bristol City Academy and he always puts on very good training sessions," Thomas explained.

"Harman was with me at youth level and he’s a perfect go-between when it comes to me and the players while his management skills are also very good.

"John (Winter) is always there still with his knowledge, experience and love of the club, almost like a director of football these days, and I know I can go to him for advice anytime."

Thomas enthused: "For me it’s just great to be back involved and to see how well our club and first team are supported.

"We had 238 spectators in to see us beat Little Stoke 3-1 in our first home game, so we have the backing and we have the facilities aside from the floodlights needing to go in.

"The club is a hive of activity with all the juniors and youth playing an instrumental part and that is great for the community; it gives so many people a purpose and a lot of people put in a lot of time and effort to make it all happen.

"Despite all that we have no divine right to be successful; we have to keep working hard to make the dreams possible."

Whilst BOCO next take on tomorrow Patchway Town visitors also enjoying a splendid start with two wins and a draw from three unbeaten outings, Bromley Heath United lock horns with their own guests, Hanham Athletic, for a Bristol derby affair at Pomphrey Hill where both teams seek first wins.

There’s an attractive top-four tussle on show at the Hillside Gardens 3G facility in Hambrook where two teams targeting title success, Rockleaze Rangers and Wick, go head to head.

At the other end of the standings Henbury strive for a first point or more at Ruardean Hill Rangers and Little Stoke do likewise when they travel to face Shirehampton.

17th October 2020 - Patchway Town take the points at AEK Boco

Ron Holpin


AEK Boco remain top of the table after their first league defeat of the season going down 3-0 at home to Patchway Town. This was Patchway’s first match for 3 weeks as their two home games against Little Stoke had to be postponed due to Covid 19 in the Little Stoke camp. Patchway have started really well this season after finding themselves on the bottom of the table last season when thing were brought to a halt in March. Town took the lead on 22 minutes when Phil Vice scored from the penalty spot after the ball had been handled in the box. Boco should have levelled on 31 minutes but Alfie Clarke missed from the penalty spot. Patchway made it 2-0 on 51 minutes Phil Vice scoring a second that took a deflection on its way in. Then on 80 minutes they sealed the 3 points when Jacob Cox set up Fin Thompson to net number three.

Bromley Heath United made sure of their first league win of the season with a 5-1 drubbing over Hanham Athletic. They got off the mark early on from a free kick hit to the far post where Nathan Rose was waiting to head back across goal for Tiago Mateus to tap home. Next on target was Jay Malpas but his effort was well saved. Jack Withey chipped the ball over the keeper for a 2-0 lead in the 23rd minute and 2 minutes later Withey set up Antonio Nurse to make it three. Withey was involved with the fourth goal in the 27th minute sending the ball over for Nathan Rose to finish off. Hanham pulled a goal back on the half hour when Sam brown slotted home from the penalty spot. With just 2 minutes left on the clock Luke Bessell made it 5-1 and right on time Hanham hit the crossbar.

Shirehampton hosted Little Stoke who had not played for the last two weeks due to Covid 19 in their camp. You would never have known that they had been out of action for two weeks as the tore into the home side right from the off and kept the pressure on for the first 25 minutes. In that period, they took the lead on 17 minutes from a corner from the left that found its way to Liam Barrett to smash a low shot into the Shirehampton net. Gradually the home side started to get into the game and on 40 minutes they levelled the score with a good goal from Joe Harvey. After the break the home side looked the better side and an awful mistake in the Little Stoke defence left Ciaran Greening clear to hammer the ball past the Stoke keeper. Within 3 minutes the that lead had gone as Stoke forced a corner on the left that was pumped into a crowded box and Jaiden Holver found the back of the net. Both sides worked hard for the winner but in the end a 2-2 draw was a probably a fair result.

Frampton United took on local rivals Quedgeley Wanderers and picked up 3 points with a 2-1 win. The home side went ahead on 10 minutes when Ryan Vincent turned in a Charley Hobbs cross. On 20 minutes Quedgeley were level when a back pass from Liam O’Neill was misjudged by the home keeper Peter Davis and the ball rolled past him into the net. United restored their lead on 38 minutes when Ryan Vincent headed in his second from a Ryan Ford cross. In the 85th minute Wanderers keeper Nathan Charnock pulled off a great save to deny Matt Cook. And in the 88th minute a great chance to level the score was wasted by Quedgeley.

A tough game for both sides Rockleaze Rangers v Wick. With Rangers back on their home ground for the first time this season this was always going to be a close game. Wicks keeper Ash Wintle was first in action when he turned a Liam Henderson shot around the post on 12 minutes. The only other chance of note in the first 45 minutes came from Wick’s Jordan Yeo who powered his effort on goal but it was tipped over the bar by keeper Jordan Dunning on 37 minutes. On 58 minutes Joe Thomas was clear on the Rangers goal he tried dinking the ball past Dunning but it finished up in the keeper’s arms. Wick opened the scoring on 75 minutes a long ball to the far post from Kyle Curtis found Jordan Scott to head past the keeper. Wick sealed the points in the 85th minute with a cracking 25-yard free kick from Jordan Yeo that hit the top corner of the net.

Just the one goal was enough to settle this game between Sharpness and Hardwicke. The first real effort on goal fell to Hardwicke’s Steve Bick but his shot was cleared. Then Bradley Beavan had a shot on goal but that went just wide. The Sharpness keeper was next in action punching clear from a Hardwicke free kick. The first 20 minutes looked to be going the visitor’s way and clearances from Hobbs and Paterson for the home side kept to score at 0-0. Hardwicke’s Steve Bick got the ball in the Sharpness net on 27 minutes but it was ruled out for offside. On 44 minutes a great ball from James Priday to Marley Thomas who slipped the ball to Brad Gibbs, Gibbs was brought down and Marley Thomas sent the keeper the wrong way from the penalty spot. In the 52nd minute Marley Thomas found Alex Gayner but he failed to beat the keeper. On 72 minutes a throw in found Sam Mendes but he blazed his shot over the bar. On 76 minutes James Priddy challenge on Jordan Dowdswell resulted in him getting sent off so the home side were down to ten men. On 79 minutes Hardwicke got the ball in the back of the net but the referee deemed there was a foul by Hardwicke and a free kick was awarded to Sharpness. The visitors kept pushing and Pat Vernall went close with a header in the 86th minute and a great save from Dan Hobbs in the last minute gave the home side that slender 1-0 win.

Broadwell Amateurs were hosts to Gala Wilton today and although the game ended goalless there were chances in the game for both sides. Broadwell’s Greg Lewis had an early chance but his effort cleared the bar. Then Dan Gayner shot wide for the visitors. On 30 minutes Gala’s keeper Dan Brabham saved well to deny Kristian Burnard. Harry Williams then headed over from a Chris Powell cross for the home side and at the other end, James Bowers shot was brilliantly blocked by Ben Schiller. Gala thought they had won the game when Dan Gayner found the back of the Broadwell net but the referee ruled the goal out for handball.

Ruardean Hill Rangers v >Henbury also finished goalless but there were chances in the game from both sides but neither side were able to get that elusive goal. Steve Clarke shot wide for the home side on 5 minutes when in a good position to score. Then on 20 minutes Henbury’s Joe Cox missed their first real chance by shooting wide. Henbury’s Adam Rosser was just wide from 30 yards on 35 minutes and at the other end Steve Clarke shot just over the bar. On 40 minutes Luke Brown was clear on goal but his shot was well saved by the Henbury keeper Jefferies. Henbury had a great chance to steal all three points on 57 minutes but Tom Butt drove the ball into the side netting when he should have scored.

12th October 2020 - Wick boss Pople thinks everything is in place for title challenge

Simon Parkinson

WICK’s new manager Joe Pople believes everything is in place at Oldbury Lane to mount a concerted Marcliff Gloucestershire County League championship challenge.

The club’s 29-year-old goalkeeper, who has also performed with distinction with league rivals AEK-BOCO, Bitton and Cadbury Heath among others down the years, happily took on the top job soon into the long summer months after previous incumbent Mike Strawford, a keeper by trade too, decided to end his seven-year reign in order to focus more on supporting his four football-mad children.

Personal trainer Pople says he was asked to consider the committee’s call to the hot seat over a fortnight period following "positive conversations" before giving the thumbs up to take charge.

"It was an easy decision for me really," he smiled. "I’d done a lot of coaching last year and was involved a lot in our pre-season programme back then alongside Mike and my assistant now James Pocock, who is a year older than me and also played Western League level with the likes of Longwell Green, Oldland and Westbury.

"James is now into his fourth season with Wick and he would be starting games every week at the back were he fully fit following two years out with a knee injury.

"I’ve had two previous years as a player here but this is my first stint as a manager and I’m not planning to play in order to focus fully on that.

"I’m also pleased to have Shaun Morris working with us on the management side as well as playing, having joined the club at the same time James did."

Wick, who were second in the table last term when coronavirus struck, followed up a hard-fought opening afternoon away draw against a strong Sharpness side with 2-1 and 4-0 victories over Broadwell Amateurs and Bromley Heath United to ensure confidence levels are raised ahead of tomorrow’s juicy Les James League Cup collision at Frampton United, who had led the standings when football ground to a halt in March.

"We’d had such a good pre-season and going 1-0 up at Sharpness on the first day and conceding an equaliser at the death was maybe the reality check we needed,"Pople reasoned.

"Mike left us in a good place when he stood down and there’s definitely a feeling we can go one step better than last season.

"We have several new lads on board who all played at higher levels, including Russell Woodford, Luke Lecrass, Ben Harris, Jordan Yeo, Nathan Gore, our captain Rob Moore and keeper Ash Wintle who, like Rob, is a personal friend.

"There are experienced players still here who served under the previous manager such as brothers Joe and Sam Thomas and our central midfielder Mike Hardiman, who is Wick through and through.

"So the hope absolutely is to win the league, without putting pressure on the new boys and ourselves.

"We’re fully aware there are some very good teams in the league including our cup opponents on Saturday, Frampton, who always seem to be there and thereabouts without managing to quite get over the title line."

10th October 2020 - Bromley Heath stun Ruardean Hill in the League Cup

Ron Holpin


Unfortunately, we seem to be losing games every week at present due to Covid 19. This week being no exception with 6 of the 8 scheduled fixtures in the first round of the Les James League Cup Competition sponsored by Boca Teamwear taking place today, with a couple of surprise results.

The biggest result of the day in the Les James League Cup was a 7-1 win for Bromley Heath United at Ruardean Hill Rangers. Bromley had only managed one goal in their first four league outings but certainly turned it on today. Rangers had the first chance after 5 minutes but Taylor fired over the bar. Then on 20 minutes the Bromley keeper pulled off a great save to deny Steve Clarke, but it was Bromley who took the lead when Jack Withey headed in from a Free Kick. On 38 minutes they made it 2-0 after Antonio Nurse rounded Underwood before sliding the ball back for Withey to net his second. Just before the break Clarkes free kick just cleared the bar for the home side. In the 52th minute Aaron Underwood brought off a great save from Bromley’s Joel Mitchelmore. Luke Bessell made it 3-0 on 60 minutes with a great shot from the edge of the box and 5 minutes later Tiago Mateus scored after a scramble in the Rangers box. Clarke then hit the bar for Rangers on 70 minutes, but minutes later Antonio Nurse made it 5-0 to Bromley. Kaylen Edwards then chipped the ball over underwood for a 6-0 lead on 82 minutes and a minute later the visitors keeper saved well to deny Cornwall-Booth from scoring for Rangers. Rangers consolation goal in the 83rd minute was an own goal turned into his own net by Ollie Amos after Tommy Coleman has sent over a cross from the wing. Edwards netted a second late on for the visitors to send them into the second round.

AEK Boco who had won all previous four outings in the league travelled to Henbury for this first round Les James League Cup game the home side had previously played three and lost them all so the 2-0 win by Henbury was a great result for the Club. The first half possession was shared with the Boco keeper being the first to be tested. There were few chances and the home keeper had little to do either. The deadlock was broken in the 38th minute with some great skill from Thomas Butt who picked the ball up about 30 yards out slipped past a couple of Boco defenders before unleashing an unstoppable shot that flew past the Boco keeper. A few minutes later they were unluck when Hayden Lee’s 30-yard shot beat the Boco keeper but struck the upright. At the start of the second half Boco came out all guns blazing and really pushed the home defence hard; they had a few shots off target and home the keeper did well on several occasions taking the ball well on high crosses into the box. Boco should have equalised when Charlie Stevens drove the ball wide from 3 yards out. But after soaking up continuous pressure Henbury broke clear in the 75th minute with Joe Cox laying the ball on for Harvey Moran to look up and neatly curl the ball past the visitor’s keeper for a 2-0 lead. The visitors tried everything to get back in the game but the home defence held firm.

Gala Wilton were drawn against Quedgeley Wanderers in this the first round and after playing them earlier in the season and winning comfortable might have thought they were going to get an easy passage into the next round but Wanderers had other ideas. Gala did take the lead on 15 minutes when Jack Holmes cut in from the left got his shot on target but it took a slight deflection and put Chambers on the wrong foot and finished up in the back of the net. Wanderers hit back 7 minutes later Louis Peyton cutting in from the right and then craftily chipped the ball over Skyers in the home goal. Gala went back in front in the 32nd minute when a Jamie Bowers cross was handled in the box and Ryan Dobbins netted from the spot. 5 minutes later Gala were awarded a second penalty after Dan Gaynor was fouled in the box and Ryan Dobbins netted a second spot kick to make it 3-1. The home side had several good chances to increase their lead but both Jamie Bowers and Ben Sluman wasted chances by hitting the ball into the side netting. Wanderers got a second on 83 minutes after Kyle James-Byan was brough down in the box and Louis Peyton netted from the penalty spot. For the remainder of the game Wanderers pushed hard for the equalising goal but in the end, Gala held on for the win.

Rockleaze Rangers who are still unable to play at home played this cup game at Bristol Manor Farm and lost out to Hardwicke 3-2. Rangers went ahead on 19 minutes from a great through ball from Miles Hatfield for Sam Bailey to dink the ball over the visitor’s keeper. Hardwicke levelled on 26 minutes after Pat Vernall latched on to a ball spilled by the home keeper to make it 1-1. Rangers should have taken the lead but Bailey’s shot was well saved. Hardwicke went into the break with a 2-1 lead after Will Matthews scored with a diving header on 40 minutes following a Sam Mendes free kick. 10 minutes into the second half the home side were up against it again but Nick Jones cleared off the line. On 71 minutes Hardwicke made it 3-1 when Steve Bick played in Bradley Bevan to score. Rangers got a second on 83 minutes Jimmy Woolland’s shot hitting both uprights before nestling in the net.

Frampton United v Wick always going to be a close encounter and so it turned out to be with the 0-0 score-line after 90 minutes and the game being decided from the penalty spot. Wick had the first chance to open the scoring on 20 minutes but Aaron Taylor brought of a great save to deny Paul Coles after Jordan Yeo had sent in a great cross. Just before the break Nathan Dennis curled the ball around the wall but the Wick keeper Ash Wintle pushed the ball around the post. Wicks Shaun Morris had another good chance in the second half but the shot cleared the bar. With the game going to penalties both sides did not look like missing and it went to the sudden death before the game was decided in Wicks favour 9-8.

Broadwell Amateurs and Hanham Athletic were also unable to get a result in 90 minutes, this game also going to penalties to decide the winner. Broadwell took the lead when Dan Brain sent a long ball up to Danny Latham and his cross into the box found the unmarked Harry Williams to side foot the ball home. Hanham drew level on 30 minutes from a long ball over the home defence that found Ellis Kow on the far post to volley in. With no further goals in the second period It had to be decided from the penalty spot. The Home side eventually going through 3-1 after young goalkeeper Jack Watkins made three outstanding saves.

5th October 2020 - Patchway no longer fighting fires

Simon Parkinson

PATCHWAY Town manager Tim Minihane believes his club are no longer "fighting fires" in their drive to deal with the demands of Marcliff Gloucestershire County League football.

More accustomed in recent years to battling it out in the lower reaches of the table, the Scott Park outfit, who were propping up the rest back in March when the 2019-20 campaign was brought to an abrupt halt, sit third and undefeated after three games thanks to 4-1 and 2-1 victories over Hanham Athletic and Gala Wilton and the weekend’s 1-1 away draw with Hardwicke.

"We have around 24 lads all feeling they should be in the first team and for the first time in a while here it’s made keeping them all happy difficult, although as a manager it’s nice to have those options," Minihane smiled.

"I don’t feel that we’re fighting fires now, which certainly wasn’t the case when I first came in last November.

"I tried to bring new players in but when you’re languishing at the bottom of the league, persuading people to join is nigh on impossible.

"Once we knew we were safe I rang up the chairman (Andy England) in May and discussed a ten-point plan of action via a series of Zoom meetings which centred around attracting more sponsorship and becoming more community-minded in what is a good catchment area.

"We got a couple more bodies on to the committee to help with the sponsorship side and we’ve been grateful for the support shown by our shirt sponsors Alpha Communications and our drinks suppliers Best One, a convenience store on Rodway Road here in Patchway.

"Others have also shown their support and it’s a big help."

It has not always been that way as former Oldbury Reserves and Tytherington Rocks boss Minihane recalled: "We had only 13 first and reserve team players left from last season heading into the summer.

"We must have brought in something like 40 new ones and it’s given us greater scope when it comes to addressing availability issues, a luxury we just didn’t have last year.

"Last weekend we had 16 lads unavailable across our two teams for various reasons, yet we still had 29 to pick from which was encouraging.

"It reached a point where we thought about starting up a third team but decided against it as we couldn’t quite guarantee enough numbers."

Minihane has bolstered his backroom ranks by recruiting his former assistant at Tytherington, Damien Keary, to "help me and my joint manager Phil Vice with training."

On the pitch newcomers include left-sided duo Jacob Cox, once of Yate Town, and Warren Ryan, while Minihane observed: "Lads like Luke Garbacz and Phil Vice are amongst those who have got themselves really fit.

"We’ve held two-hour training sessions twice a week and the boys have worked so hard. I doubt whether too many teams will better our fitness levels.

"It said it all that our lads came in after drawing at Hardwicke at the weekend disappointed as they’re feeling they should win every game now, although for me we may look back and deem it a good point.

"Our objective at the start of the season was a top ten finish but with so many new players in the set-up we don’t want to weigh anyone down with expectations."

3rd October 2020 - AEK Boco maintain winning start

Ron Holpin


Unfortunately, we lost another 3 fixtures to Covid 19 again this week, but the other 5 fixtures went ahead despite some of the worst weather conditions we have experienced for some time.

AEK Boco still retain their hundred percent record with a 3-2 victory over Quedgeley Wanderers. Alfie Clarke gave them an 8-minute lead from the edge of the box, then in the 11th minute Cory Langdon hit the upright with a fierce drive. Boco had a great chance to make it 2-0 on 20 minutes when Freddy Taylor-Fox shot wide after a great cross from Tommy Lacey. 5 minutes later Alfie Clarke had another strike on goal saved by the Quedgeley keeper. On 33 minutes Wanderers levelled with a goal from Josh Claxton and following that Jordan Rouse shot wide. Brad Wheadon restored the lead for Boco from a corner on 65 minutes, then a minute later Charlie Stevens made it 3-1 when his shot went in off the post. Quedgeley kept plugging away and were eventually rewarded with a second goal in the 80th minute when Louis Peyton scored from the penalty spot, but they were unable to find the back of the Boco net again.

For the second week running Sharpness recorded a 5-0 victory only this time it was at home to Hanham Athletic. A lively Sharpness team worked hard and dominated a Hanham team that had few chances. Brad Gibbs and Dan Turner worked well together for Sharpness and they combined well for the first goal with Dan Turner finishing well in the box after 6 minutes. After 25 minutes Brad Gibbs doubled the score smashing home from inside the area after a Marley Thomas pass. Sharpness made it 3-0 before half time with keeper Dan Hobbs assisting Tom Paterson, who chipped the Hanham goalkeeper. A long range shot from Ben Alexander was the only effort Hanham could muster before half time. The second half continued in the same vein with Brad Gibbs getting a second after pinball in the box. Then came a second goal from Dan Turner, with a smart turn and finish in the box, completed the rout for Sharpness. Debutant Will Attwooll was unlucky and almost made it 6-0 with the Hanham goalkeeper, Mason Hawkins, making a smart save with his feet.

Frampton United saw off local rivals Hardwicke with a 3-0 win at the Bridge ground. It was the visitors who had the first chance to score when Ashley Bird had his effort really well saved by Frampton keeper Aaron Taylor on 18 minutes. United got the opening goal on 25 minutes when Ryan Vincent forced the ball home from a cross into the box which the Hardwicke defence were unable to clear. It took another 40 minutes for the second to arrive Adam Cox getting on the score sheet. Frampton rounded it off on 82 minutes when Ryan Vincent hit a sweet drive into the top corner from the edge of the box.

Wick continue in good form as they travelled the short distance to face Bromley Heath United. Unfortunately, the home side have not started the season well and went down for the fourth consecutive match. The game was fairly even until the 36th minute when Wick’s Jordan Yeo broke the deadlock. It remained that way until half time. In the 55th minute the best chance of the game for the home side and open goal was missed but they still kept going. A second goal on 75 minutes a penalty that was put away by Mike Hardiman giving the visitors that two goal cushion and in a breakaway Wick netted a third through Nathan Gore. Then to make things worse Wick got a fourth right on time Jordan Yeo getting his second of the afternoon.

Shirehampton’s second home game of the season saw Gala Wilton go home with all three points with a 2-0 win. With very little created by either side in the first 45 minutes Gala did start the better side before Shire found their feet to come back into the game towards half time It turned out to be a peaceful half for both goalkeepers. Although the home side started well in the early part of the second half it was Gala who took the lead on 58 minutes Ryan Dobbins heading in from 5 yards. A second goal from Dobbins on 78 minutes a simple tap in saw the home side change their line up with substitutions being made but to no avail.