News and Match Reports

28th August 2021 - Frampton United get big win at Hardwicke

Ron Holpin


Frampton United travelled the short distance to Hardwicke for today’s encounter in the Marcliff Gloucestershire County Football League. United made it three wins out of three with a resounding 5-0 win. The visitors ran the game right from the off and should have opened the scoring after 5 minutes, but Stuart Maule fired over the bar. Just a minute later they were in front Steve Jackson netting the first of his four goals of the afternoon with a 20-yard drive. Jackson made it 2-0 on 25 minutes after a Hardwicke defender could only head the ball backwards it went to Manolo Espada who crossed for Jackson to score from close range. 5 minutes into the second period United increased their lead when Manolo Espada netted from a Fin Blythe cross. Hardwicke were unlucky when a great effort from Jack Mason was tipped over the bar by United keeper Aaron Taylor. On 71 minutes Jackson headed in his third from a Stuart Maule cross Jackson completed the scoring for United on 75 minutes with another headed goal. Near the end Jordan Dowdeswell was unlucky with a shot for Hardwicke that just cleared the bar.

Wick move into second place in the table with a 5-0 home win over Henbury and Ryan Ross was on target with four of those goals. Wick got off to a great start scoring after just 2 minutes, but it was a bit fortuitus as the first shot from Ryan Ross was well saved by the Henbury keeper Jefferies only to see it rebound straight to Ross to drive home. Jefferies was in action again a few minutes later but this time he denied Ross a second. The home side did, however, take a 2-0 lead on 28 minutes when Joe Thomas smashed the ball past Jefferies. On 36 minutes Ross was able to force the ball home to give Wick a 3-0 half time lead. Ben Harris should have made it four on 58 minutes, but he pulled his shot wide. Henbury were limited with their attacks and had a good chance in the 70th minute but the final shot went wide of the goal. Ross netted his hattrick on 80 minutes when he headed in from a Jordan Yeo cross. Then right at the end he got a very lucky fourth goal after Sean Morris shot found a Henbury defender who’s attempted clearance struck Ross on the back and the ball finished up in the back of the Henbury net.

Little Stoke have also won three out of three and are in third place on goal difference. They had a good crowd out watching at Little Stoke Park where they defeated today’s visitors Ruardean Hill Rangers by two goals to nil. The first real chance for the home side came a minute before the break Aaron West lined up Alex Fox for an attempt on goal but his effort was well saved by the Rangers keeper. Just 2 minutes into the second period Little Stoke scored and it came from a West move as he cut into the box sent the ball across goal and Khalil Lamir finished it off. On 65 minutes Alex Fox struck the crossbar following a corner. Stoke made it 2-0 on 75 minutes as Jude Scott broke into the box he was brought down for a penalty. John Pugsley was given the task of taking the penalty and duly obliged by placing it in the back of the Rangers net.

Rockleaze Rangers continued their good start to the season with a 4-1 win at home to Patchway Town. They opened the scoring on 10 minutes when Marcus Williams headed in a Jordan Dent cross. Jimmy Woolland made it 2-0 on 16 minutes driving home after being set up by Dent. Patchway hit back in the 24th minute with a superb 25-yard free kick for Jacob Cox which flew into the top corner. On 34 minutes Dent played Woolland in to round the Patchway keeper Burgess to slot the ball home. Just before the break Rockleaze Rangers netted their fourth with Dent getting on the scoring list. Patchway Town played much better in the second half and could well have pulled goals back but for some excellent goalkeeping by Ranger’s keeper Jordan Dunning.

Hanham Athletic who were home to Broadwell Amateurs this week put on a much better display than the previous week. James Fry had two early attempts on goal both saved by the visitor’s keeper. A Francis free kick for the home side saw Yusuf Abdulrahman effort on goal hit the upright. Another shot from Fry was well saved by Broadwell’s keeper on 40 minutes. When it looked like it was going to be a goalless first 45 minutes the visitors took the lead with a goal from Kian Skidmore. The visitors ran the show in the second half but failed to find the back of the Hanham net.

First minute of the game saw a corner for visitors Bromley Heath United punched away by Quedgeley Wanderers keeper Kieran Derbyshire. In the 6th minute Quedgeley went ahead when Nathan Payne crossed the ball from the wing into the box for Jack Hornsby to head it home from close range. On 25 minutes a shot from Bromley’s Jay Malpas was well saved by Derbyshire. In the 20th minute, Quedgeley were awarded a penalty after the Bromley Heath keeper brought down Rory Cawkwell. Kyle James-Bryan stepped up to the spot and scored. A minute into the second half Jordan Rouse handled the ball which resulted in a penalty for the visitors. Jay Malpas level the score from the spot. 57th minute saw a chance for Bromley’s Antonio Nurse, but it was well saved by Derbyshire. On the 65th minute, Nathan Payne went close for the home side, but it just went the wrong side of the post. In the 80th minute, Olly Amos for Bromley Heath had a shot from 7 yards out hit straight into the Quedgeley's keeper's arms. The 85th minute brought another chance for Quedgeley, Kyle James-Bryan sped past the full back but his shot in the near post was well saved by the Bromley keeper.

English Bicknor came back down to earth with a big bump today after winning their first game at home last week they were well and truly beaten 6-0 by today’s opponents Sharpness. The visitors took the lead on 13 minutes with a goal from Tom Frankham, then a minute later the home side had a goal disallowed for offside. A second for the Sharks on 25 minutes was from a corner turned in by James Priddy. Will Lacey then got on the score sheet on 31 minutes to score the first of his hattrick. Sam Strickland made it 4-0 on 55 minutes. Bicknor went down to 10 players on 62 minutes through injury. Will Lacey popped up again on 80 minutes to make it 5-0 and then completed his hattrick in the 87th minute to give the Sharks their first three points of the season.

The game at the creek between Shirehampton and Gala Wilton on a lovely sunny afternoon ended all square 1-1. In a well-mannered encounter supporters witnessed a scrappy affair with both teams giving each other too much respect to allow neither side any opportunities to string a number of passes together. Both sides defended well with very few chances to score falling to either side. Shirehampton broke the deadlock on 16 mins through George Loud shooting from close range after finding the ball at his feet from a corner, his shot gave Lewis Skyers in the Gala Wilton goal no chance. 43 mins saw Gala Wilton equalise through Ben Sluman with a well taken diagonal shot from an acute angle, after a good move down the left. The second half continued in the same vein as the first half with very few chances being created, Injuries to Shirehampton’s George Loud and Scott Bamford who both needing replacing saw the game extended for quite some time after the 90 minutes were up.

27th August 2021 - Hanham Athletic chairman says club's in a good place

Simon Parkinson

HANHAM Athletic’s bullish chairman Bob Sperring insists his club remain “in a good place” after witnessing an afternoon to forget in Marcliff Gloucestershire County League combat.

Saturday’s 9-0 away mauling by Rockleaze Rangers followed a 1-0 day one defeat by visiting Patchway Town, to make for a frustrating start for a Hanham team desperate to prove a force at the level once more after recent challenging seasons occupying the league’s basement.

Chris Strawford’s understrength team go again tomorrow (3pm) when Forest of Dean outfit Broadwell Amateurs come to Vicarage Road eager to extend their unbeaten form so far to three games.

Sperring conceded: “We’re going through a massive transitional period and Saturday wasn’t helped by the fact we had so many first teamers absent. In fact it could have been many more than nine for Rockleaze as our reserve team keeper deployed on the day, Shay Richards, pulled off a string of really good saves.

“With so many round pegs in square holes we were simply overrun in midfield. Adam Grinter is now part of our vets team and he did his best upfront to get on the end of the sort of balls he’d gobble up in his younger days.

“To be fair, all the lads called up from our District One reserves did what they could against a Rockleaze side who I’m sure will do well, although whether they have the clout to win the league, I’m not so sure.”

Hanham’s cause has not been helped by a series of luckless injury setbacks, not least to George Cryer who had only returned to action after taking a year out from football when he sustained a serious hamstring condition a few minutes into his team’s opening game against Patchway.

Midfielder Jack Fry “tweaked” knee ligaments in that same match, while the club’s former captain Sam Brown was left red faced and frustrated after injuring his own hamstring strain whilst playing tenpin bowling with his young son.

There have been upsides too to the transition with “no-nonsense, combative and versatile” centre-half Kieran Hutson back from a stint with neighbouring league rivals Wick, while Ben Francis, a “really good lad and midfielder who has been with us for donkeys years,” according to Sperring, has been promoted to first team captaincy.

The 65-year-old Vicarage Road chief says he has been encouraged by the coaching methods on display from former AEK-BOCO man Paul Webb, who arrived this summer to replace Paul Dingley as co-manager operating alongside Strawford.

Of a “positive” overall club picture, Sperring enthused: “We’ve done wonders with our clubhouse thanks to the £30,000 generated by all our hard-working members. And we have a final consultation meeting on September 15 with local residents and council representatives relating to our important business plan for the club, which we hope will secure us FA grants in order to update our very dated changing rooms.

“When it comes to our first team prospects this season, I’m certainly not suggesting we’ll have a massive surge; but I do feel we have it in us to make it to a comfortable mid-table position.”

Elsewhere in the County League tomorrow, Little Stoke set out to make it a perfect three wins from three as they entertain Ruardean Hill Rangers. And the same applies to Shirehampton as they welcome Gala Wilton to Manor Farm’s Creek HQ.

Wick host Henbury having also won their first two games, and Rockleaze Rangers take on visitors Patchway Town on their 3G surface at UWE’s Hillside Gardens keen to capitalise on their weekend Hanham crushing.

Bromley Heath United head north to Quedgeley Wanderers determined to put right back-to-back defeats on their travels by English Bicknor (2-1) and Shirehampton (2-0) since the start.

21st August 2021 - Rockleaze Rangers hammer Hanham Athletic

Ron Holpin


Plenty of goals scored this week 39 from the eight fixtures completed.

The biggest score of the day was the 9-0 hammering that Rockleaze Rangers inflicted on Hanham Athletic. The Rangers were relentless and after opening the scoring in the 16th minute continued to score regularly throughout the game. Henry Smith set up Jordan Dent for the first on 16 minutes to net the first of his three goals, then Jimmy Woolland netted the first of his four goals on 38 minutes after a great through ball from Pete Ireland. Just 2 minutes later Woolland set up Sam Bailey for number three. Right-on half-time Jordan Dent netted his second to take Rangers into a 4-0 lead at the break. Just 7 minutes into the second half Woolland broke into the box and was brought down with Jordan Dent firing home the resulting penalty. The next two goals were scored by Jimmy Woolland in the 75th and 77th minute the second a 20-yard drive. Jimmy Wooland was also involved in the next goal playing in Sean Moore for number eight and just 2 minutes from the end Wooland netted his fourth from a Sam Bailey cross.

A very close game at Frampton United where today’s visitors were Quedgeley Wanderers Frampton eventually won the game 4-3 but had to come from behind twice. The home side went close early on but a cross into the box was missed by both Stuart Maule and Fin Blythe. In 24th minute a great save from the Quedgeley keeper tipping the ball over the bar from a Stuart Maule effort on goal. Frampton took the lead on 31 minutes when Fin Blythe turned in a Stuart Maule cross. Quedgeley went close 5 minutes later from a Kyle James-Bryan shot that skimmed just past the post. Then just before the break Frampton keeper Aaron Taylor turned a great shot from Rory Cawkwell around the post. 2 minutes into the second half the visitors were level when Jordan Rouse scored following a corner. Then just a minute later Kyle James-Bryan put the visitor’s 2-1 ahead. Frampton hit back in the 62nd minute a great shot from Joe Wilson from the edge of the box made it 2-2. Quedgeley shook the home side in the 70th minute when Josh Vallis-Ridler scored from the edge of the box to make it 3-2 to the visitor’s then in the 74th minute Maule was through on goal when the Quedgeley keeper pulled him down. Maule dusted him self off and smashed the penalty home to level it to 3-3. Frampton won this game in the very last minute when Stuart Maule poked the ball home after a goalmouth scramble.

A local derby at Patchway Town whose visitors today were Little Stoke from just a mile down the road. Little Stoke had the better of the early exchanges with the home keeper in action very early on. Jaiden Holver gave Little Stoke a 12-minute lead when he latched onto a long ball nipped past two Patchway defenders and drove the ball home from just inside the box. The visitors continued to have a lot more possession while the home side gradually fought their way back into the game and on 44 minutes, they were awarded a penalty for handball and Phil Vice fired the ball home. 8 minutes into the second half Patchway got their noses in front with a superbly taken 25-yard free kick from Jacob Cox. Little Stoke were still having more possession than the home side but were coming up against a stubborn Patchway defence that is until the 88th minute when Dylan Quick was a bit to sharp for the home keeper and scored to make it 2-2. It looked like both teams would have to settle for a point each that is until Dylan Quick fired home his second in the 92nd minute to give Little stoke the 3 points.

Broadwell Amateurs entertained Hardwicke who had picked up their first point in midweek with home draw at home to Rockleaze Rangers when the teams entered the pitch it looked as though it was men against boys Hardwicke looking the more physical and experienced team but by the end of 90 minutes Broadwell had turned into men. It was a goalless first half with neither side able to break the deadlock. Hardwicke had a penalty shout turned down early in the second half before, Jordan Locke sent over a free kick in the 50th minute that Ethan Wilkins headed home for a 1-0 lead to the home side. It remained that score line until the very last minute when Jamie Knight cut out a Hardwicke pass and drove into the box and fired the ball into the net.

Gala Wilton’s good result last week could not be repeated again this Saturday when their opponents today was a Wick team that had also won on the opening day. By the 52nd minute Wick had taken a 3-0 lead the first came in the 25th minute from a good break down the right and a cross into the box that found Ryan Ross to tap the ball in. A 25-yard shot 10 minutes later from Jordan Yeo stuck both uprights before nestling in the back of the Gala net. A third from Ben Harris on 52 minutes put the visitors in a comfortable position but the home side were not going to lie down. Ben Sluman controlled the ball really well to pull a goal back for the home side on 54 minutes and a second from Craig Howell in the 80th minute gave the home side some hope but Wick held on to take the 3 points.

A cracking match at Henbury against Ruardean Hill Rangers where the final score ended 4-4. Rangers had two early chances, but a good save by Hutchinson for the first and a shot blazed over the bar kept the score 0-0. On 13 minutes a goal for Ruardean a cross from the right side was tapped in by Fin Jones. On 15 minutes a mistake in the home defence led to the second for Rangers with Steve Clarke making it 2-0 The home defence made yet another mistake to let in Steve Clarke again to give Rangers a 3-0 lead. On 28 mins Henbury pull one back Ranger’s keeper saved Will Baldwin’s shot but Kane Manning’s followed up to nod home. In the 43rd minute a good chance for Henbury, a shot from Will Baldwin well saved by the Ruardean keeper with his feet. Early in the second half Ross Jones shot wide for the home side. Then on 50 minutes Kane Manning’s scored a second with a great left foot strike. Henbury levelled the score on 75 minutes when Sam Degg scored from an acute angle. Rangers retook the lead on 80 minutes when they nicked the ball in midfield and Harry Clarke ran through to make it 4-3. Henbury were given a life line in the 86th minute when they were awarded a penalty which was converted by Kane Manning’s to complete his hattrick. Immediately after the penalty two Rangers player were sin-binned for arguing and in the 89th minute Henbury also had Andrew Dickinson sent to the sin-bin.

English Bicknor bounced back from their defeat last week to gain a 2-1 victory over todays visitors Bromley Heath United. A long ball early on almost caught the home defence out but good defending by Danny Hudson averted the danger. The home side took the lead on 7 minutes Matt Addis slipped the ball to George Riley who sent the ball into the box and Daryl Addis planted a firm header into the back of the net. Within 2 minutes Bromley were level and it was Alvin Nurse with a great header. On 20 minutes Joel Manning in the visitor’s goal pulled of a great save to deny Daryl Addis making it 2-1. Addis had another great chance on 35 minutes but again failed to beat Manning. Bicknor had the ball in the net on 40 minutes but it was disallowed. On 83 minutes Matt Addis had a great effort which sailed just over the bar. Bicknor’s 85th minute goal scored by George Riley with a shot that hit the top corner turned out to be the winner and the home sides first points of the season.

A second defeat for the Sharks as they went down 2-0 at home to Shirehampton. Brad Gibbs headed just over from a Will Lacey corner for Sharpness on 10 minutes. On 23 minutes Alex Higgs was put through by Tom Paterson but his shot was blocked by Matt Turner in the visitor’s goal. In the 30th minute a long ball forward by Shirehampton was flicked on, the covering Sharpness defender Tom Paterson failed to get enough on his back header to keeper Taylor and Joe Harvey nipped in to lob it over the keeper to make it 1-0. Five minutes before the break Shirehampton made it 2-0 Ciaran Greening heading in from a corner. Second half Will Lacey went close with a lob over the Shirehampton keeper after a good pass from Brad Hewer had spotted him in a scoring position. Another good chance went begging when Brad Hewer who was clean through on goal but lost his footing and scuffs the ball to the keeper. Sharks Manager Tom Patterson summing up. Shirehampton deserved the 3 points on the day for capitalising on their opportunities and for their hard endeavour. Sharpness were left to rue what could have been again after letting in sloppy goals and not taking their chances.

20th August 2021 - Henbury management confident of better things

Simon Parkinson

HENBURY’S brand-new management team believe they have the capacity now to become a truly competitive Marcliff Gloucestershire County League operator – and gain future rewards on the bigger stages.

Despite a frustrating start to their programme, as a 4-1 away defeat by near neighbours Little Stoke at the weekend amply suggests, 39-year-old manager Dave Greaves, brother of Frome Town leader Danny, and his long-time friend and football comrade Tim Seymour, 52, are optimistic they can prove more than a match for many an opponent this term.

Henbury welcome Forest of Dean side Ruardean Hill Rangers to Arnall Drive HQ tomorrow (3pm), while bullish No.2 Seymour stressed: "Greavesy and I feel confident that better things are coming to Henbury after some testing recent years.

"We’ve brought our own brand of football and training methods with us from our previous club (Sea Mills Park). The lads seem to be enjoying it and it’s encouraging to see work going on behind the scenes for a mini stand to be erected, whilst floodlight possibilities are being looked hard at too.

"We’re a well-established Bristol club and everyone at Henbury feels it’s time we moved forward, although we’re mindful that we can’t run before we can walk and that the many youngsters we have with us need time to adapt to this level."

Seymour, a one-time Almondsbury Youth manager, explained: "We brought with us five young lads from Sea Mills Park we felt were capable of performing, with all due respect, higher than their previous club could offer in the District League.

Josh Day, a striker, is the oldest of that group at 21 and is unfortunately injured at this time. The rest are all 19, including attacking midfielder Brandon Dack; right-back Ethan Roberts, a flying left winger in Will Baldwin who, like Brandon, is a truly talented prospect; plus my own son Danny Seymour, a combative and energetic midfielder.

"I’m delighted to still be working alongside my old friend Greavesy. He played for Sea Mills as a wing-back and centre-half for a while, as well as Roman Glass in the Western League and then Little Stoke for a bit before bowing to my pressure to bring him back to Sea Mills!

"Naturally we were disappointed to lose our first game to a Little Stoke side giving our young lads some tough lessons, although it helped nothing that we’d had seven players unavailable, especially after we’d worked and planned so hard for the game and season over the summer.

"They’re all available this week and Greavesy and I will have the opposite problem this time – who to leave out from a 24-man squad!"

Seymour smiled: "I’m happy to serve Greavesy as his assistant this time, as it means I don’t get absorbed in so much admin like I did when I was effectively on my own at Sea Mills. I can now concentrate on the coaching stuff.

"It’s also great that through Greavesy’s connections with his brother Danny at Frome Town, we can offer potential pathways to higher levels to promising lads eager to play and learn with us."

Elsewhere tomorrow, a clutch of buoyed Bristol teams target back-to-back victories after clinching encouraging first-day victories.

Two of those sides, Patchway Town and Little Stoke, collide at Scott Park for an enticing derby duel involving clubs separated by little more than a mile and enjoying the sweet aftertaste of respective opening afternoon wins over Hanham Athletic (1-0) and Henbury (4-1).

Wick, who overcame Sharpness 3-1 at Oldbury Lane, and Shirehampton – 2-0 home victors over Bromley Heath United – go to Gala Wilton and Sharpness respectively.

Bromley Heath United travel to take on league newcomers English Bicknor in the Forest of Dean, while Rockleaze Rangers, who commenced their campaign with a point from Wednesday’s 2-2 away draw with Hardwicke, entertain Hanham Athletic the Hillside Gardens 3G complex in Hambrook.

All games kick off at 3pm.

14th August 2021 - Gala Wilton off to flying start

Ron Holpin


Its good to be back watching football after such a long layoff.

Gala Wilton got off to a flying start with a resounding 6-1 win at home to Ruardean Hill Rangers. Martin Smith gave the home side the lead on 15 minutes when he headed home a cross field ball. On 23 minutes Mike Baron cut into the box from the right to make it 2-0. Ruardean hit back in the 35th minute with a great shot from Luke Brown. Martin Smith grabbed his second of the afternoon on 50 minutes when he cut into the box and slotted the ball home. On the hour mark Alex Gayner hit a 25-yard screamer to give the home side a 4-1 lead. Dan Gayner then increased that lead to 5-1 from the penalty spot and Ben Sluman finished it off in the 85th minute when he curled the ball past the Rangers keeper.

New Club English Bicknor were handed a very tough game for their opening fixture in the Marcliff Gloucestershire County Football League when they played host to Frampton United. However, it was not the result they were hoping for as Frampton went away with the 3 points with a 4-1 victory. The visitors had a penalty appeal turned down as early as the 6th minute and then missed another chance a couple of minutes later. They did however take the lead on 28 minutes Steve Jackson notching the first goal of the afternoon. The home side had a great chance to level on 40 minutes but Matt Addis shot wide. Frampton made it 2-0 just before the break when Stuart Maule scored. Early in the second half the home side had a great chance to pull a goal back but Dan Merton head wide at the back post after Matt Addis had sent over a great cross. Frampton went 3-0 up on 65 minutes Steve Jackson netting his second of the afternoon. It got even worse on 80 minutes when Fin Blythe made it 4-0. Bicknor never gave up and finally found the back of the Frampton net when Matt Addis scored in the 87th minute.

Little Stoke also got off to a very good start with a 4-1 victory over today’s visitors Henbury. Aaron West picked up a loose ball after opposing players jumped for a high ball then cut into the box to strike the ball into the far corner. Stoke netted a second after Dan Bendall sent in a good cross to West whose shot was brilliantly saved by the Henbury keeper who parried it away but John Pugsley was there to knock in the rebound. The home side were much the better side at this stage and got a third goal before the break when West latched onto another loose ball and struck a 25-yard shot past the visitor’s keeper. Early in the second half Henbury got a goal back when a mistake in the home defence saw the ball fly into the Stoke net for an own goal. The home side made it 4-1 on 58 minutes when John Pugsley’s free kick was headed in by Alex Hill.

A slender 1-0 victory for Patchway Town on their opening game at Hanham Athletic. The home side lost George Cryer with a bad injury on 15 minutes but there was very little between the two sides. The deadlock was broken in the 44th minute when Patchway’s Grant Mathieson broke down the left cut into the box and hit a low shot that flew into the far corner of the Hanham net. The second half saw very little creative chances from either side.

Shirehampton now playing at Bristol Manor Farm started their campaign with a 2-0 victory over Bromley Heath United. The only real chance of the first 45 minutes fell to the home side on 30 minutes when George Loud headed wide from a throw from the right. The home side took the lead on 54 minutes when Scott Bamford hit a crisp shot across the keeper into the far corner. McCall hit the cross bar on 60 minutes for the home side and 4 minutes later Bromley went close when the struck the upright from a free kick. On 68 minutes Bamford had a great chance but headed wide. Shirehampton’s second goal came in the 94th minute when Bamford put Jay Spicer clear to slot the ball into the net.

The game at Quedgeley Wanderers who entertained Broadwell Amateurs today ended in a 1-1 scoreline. In the 16th minute, Broadwell's Ethan Wilkins had a shot that just cleared the bar. In the 22nd minute Quedgeley had their first shots on target a free kick from 30 yards, Ryan Webb’s shot saw the Broadwell keeper palm it away for a corner. 29th minute came and another shot for Broadwell's Ethan Wilkins in the 29th minute saw Quedgeley keeper Nathan Charnock make a brilliant save. In the 35th minute, Broadwell forced a corner, Liam Thomas’s attempted on goal was tipped it over the bar by Charnock. A minute later a shot by Ben Scotford was also saved by Nathan Charnock. In the 38th minute Quedgeley's Rory Cawkwell was awarded a free kick; Ryan Webb’s shot was deflected for a corner. In the 43rd minute two brilliant saves from Nathan Charnock keeping Broadwell from scoring first.

The opening goal came in the 45th minute Broadwell’s Ethan Wilkins slipped past the Quedgeley defence to poke it past the keeper. In the 52nd minute Rory Cawkwell had a shot over the bar for Quedgeley. An equaliser for Quedgeley came in the 56th minute when Rory Cawkwell was through on goal, the Broadwell keeper saved the shot as it came out it was tapped in by Jack Hornsby. The 72nd minute saw a shot from Liam Thomas that cleared the bar. In the 84th minute a free kick by Quedgeley's Ryan Webb from 20 yards out was tipped over the bar.

The game at Wick got off to a cracking start with 4 goals in the first 16 minutes. Wick’s Joe Thomas headed in from a corner on 8 minutes only to see visitors Sharpness hit back straight away with a great cross into the box for striker Alex Higgs to plant his header past home keeper Joe Pople giving him no chance. A minute later Wicks centre back Pocock cleared off the line to keep the scores level. Thomas gave the home side the lead on 14 minutes with a 25-yard screamer and just 2 minutes later Rob Moore headed home following a free kick. Second half started even but in the 50th minute Wick’s Pocock was shown a straight red card which left them with 10 men. Sharpness saw a lot of possession during the half but never really looked like scoring until near the end when Player manager Tom Patterson let fly with a great shot that was equally well saved by Player manager Joe Pople in the home goal.

12th August 2021 - Rockleaze boss looks forward to season

Simon Parkinson

THE 54th season of the Gloucestershire County League kicks off with 14 of 16 clubs on the starting blocks Saturday vying for honours - including an intriguing new addition.

With ambitious Bristol outfit AEK Boco satisfied new members of the Toolstation Western League’s second tier following their summer elevation, the County League, which continues to be sponsored by Yate-based plumbing and heating merchants Marcliff, has welcomed in Forest of Dean villagers English Bicknor on the back of their own rise from Gloucestershire Northern Senior League competition.

The Ross Road newbies could hardly have wished for a tougher start to life at the higher level either, with Frampton United, a perennial force in the league and amongst many observers’ favourites for the title once more, their day one guests.

Saturday’s start also serves up three tasty Bristol derbies, including the one at Vicarage Road where Hanham Athletic, determined to cast some tough recent years to one side, entertaining a Patchway Town team appearing to have impressively dug their way out of the mire in more recent times under the leadership of Tim Minihane.

Both Ashley Coles’ Little Stoke and their visitors Henbury, now managed by David Greaves assisted by former Sea Mills Park supremo Tim Seymour, are striving to become established upper-table teams, while Shirehampton, who are likely to be among the teams to beat with ex-Roman Glass St George No.2 Liam Greening at the helm, host Craig Britton’s Bromley Heath United, themselves eager to kick on following their 2019 arrival as Suburban League champions.

Joe Pople’s Wick, expected to be amongst the frontrunners once more, welcome Sharpness to Oldbury Lane.

While they all get underway tomorrow at 3pm, another team keen to carve a path to a possible place in the Toolstation League are Rockleaze Rangers, who don’t launch their own assault until Wednesday night when they travel to take on Gloucester-based Hardwicke (6.30pm).

Whilst understandably’ reluctant to make sweeping assertions about his new-look team’s prospects following a string of close-season acquisitions, manager Peter Bradbury emphasised: "We’ve been an established top four side over the past couple of years to fulfil our aims then. Now we want to cement a place in the top two, which was our target last season until everything was cut short again because of the Covid situation.

"We applied for a place in the Toolstation League then and that remains the objective this time, to break into step 6 football and keep on going.

"Although we are disappointed to have lost two influential players in Nick Jones and Harry Madge, who were keen to move up the scale with Cribbs and Boco respectively with our good wishes and understanding, I feel we have a squad more than capable of pushing us up and punching hard in the Toolstation League."

30th June 2021 - Constitution 2021/22

Nigel Meaney

Following AEK Boco's elevation to the Toolstation Western League, there was a vacancy in the league for season 2021/22. At tonight's AGM the member clubs elected English Bicknor of the Gloucestershire Northern Senior League to fill that vacancy.

The season will commence of Saturday August 14th 2021. Fixtures will be confirmed after the Southern League fixtures are known.

The constitution for season 2021-22 is as follows

  • Broadwell Amateurs
  • Bromley Heath United
  • English Bicknor
  • Frampton United
  • Gala Wilton
  • Hanham Athletic
  • Hardwicke
  • Henbury
  • Little Stoke
  • Patchway Town
  • Quedgeley Wanderers
  • Rockleaze Rangers
  • Ruardean Hill Rangers
  • Sharpness
  • Shirehampton
  • Wick

17th May 2021 - Sponsorship

Ron Holpin

Season 2021-22

After Covid curtailed the last two seasons both Companies Marcliff and Boco Teamwear have declared their support to the league and are continuing with their sponsorship.

Marcliff will continue as the main sponsors of the league whilst Boco Teamwear will continue to sponsor the Les James League Cup Competition.

The Management Committee and the Clubs would like to express they’re thanks to both Companies for their full support in what has been very difficult times for everyone.

7th March 2021 - Season 2020/21

Ron Holpin

Season 2020-21

We would like to thank all Clubs for returning their Voting Papers. The outcome of the vote is that Competition League Fixtures be terminated immediately and season 2020-21 be declared Null & Void.

The Les James League Cup Competition

Due to a number of Clubs remaining in this Competition deciding they did not want to play, it is considered that this Season’s Competition would be devalued if it was allowed to progress. Therefore, Management Committee has decided that it will not take place and be declared Null & Void.