News and Match Reports

28th December 2021 - Broadwell triumph in Forest Derby

Ron Holpin

In the only fixture played over the Christmas period it drew 299 spectators to this local derby between Ruardean Hill Rangers and Broadwell Amateurs who travelled the short distance for this Forest of Dean clash. Rangers Luke Brown had the first chance of the game after 5 minutes making himself some room on the edge of the box but then shot wide of the Broadwell goal. The first attempt from Broadwell came after 9 minutes Keiron James was played through to a one-on-one situation with Underwood in the home goal making a great save. Just 2 minutes later James gave Broadwell the lead with a great volley after picking up a knock down from a free kick. Broadwell had a great chance to make it 2-0 on 30 minutes when Liam Thomas hit the ball wide when free on the back post. Luke Brown’s tried his luck from outside the box on 43 minutes but his effort hits a defender before going out for a corner.

Ruardean Hills best chance of the match came in the 52nd minute when they created room for Steve Clark to have a shot on goal but Watkins in the Broadwell goal made a great save to keep his sides lead intact. Another great run from Luke Brown down the flank in the 62nd minute saw his across to Fin Jones just failed to converted at the back post. Just when Ruardean Hill seemed to have the better of the game, Keiron James doubled Broadwell’s lead with an excellent lob into the top corner from a wide-angle giving Underwood no chance. The rest of the game played out with Hill looking to create chances with Broadwell happy to protect their two-goal lead and defend very well but ultimately two great goals from James proved to be the difference between the two teams.

18th December 2021 - Hanham Athletic get 3 points for early Xmas present

Ron Holpin


Hanham Athletic were handed a nice Christmas present with a 3-2 win over Frampton United, their first win of the season so far. Lee Bebbinton got the home side off to a good start when his volley from the edge of the box found the corner of the net. On 8 minutes and following a free kick the Frampton keeper pulled of a great save to deny Mikey Golding netting a second. Hanham almost gave Frampton a gift on 20 minutes when Nathan Flowers sliced clearance thumped against the upright. Then on 28 minutes home keeper Sam Brown saved the day with a goal line clearance. Golding had another good chance for the home side on 36 minutes but shot wide. Frampton drew level on 39 minutes with Steve Jackson putting away a cross into the box. In the 42nd minute a cross come shot from Manolo Espada was cleared off the line by Hanham’s Nathan Fowler. Frampton took the lead on 54 minutes with a shot into the bottom corner from Manolo Espada. Mikey Golding squared the game for the home side on 60 minutes and Karim Randall and Jamie Fry combined well to set up Randall to score the winner.

Wick had a good chance to go level on points with leaders Shirehampton who were without a game today but could only muster a 1-1 draw against today’s opponents Little Stoke. Wick started well with their usual slick passing game but were unable to create all the possession into goalscoring chances. Ben Harris’s mazy run on 30 minutes failed to break the deadlock when he fired wide of the goal. A few minutes later Wick did manage to open the scoring following a Little Stoke corner Wick broke away and Luke Lecrass and Joe Thomas interchanged passes before Lacrass neatly chipped the ball over Stoke keeper Jakob Glover. Glover was called upon a gain to make a good save to deny Ben Harris making it 2-0. Todd Carter should have scored just before the break but headed wide. Then in the second half Rob Moore went close and Ben Harris missed another good chance. Then just when they thought they would get away with a 1-0 victory up popped Jazz Bright to score for Little Stoke deep into time added.

Rockleaze Rangers gained a narrow 2-1 victory at home to Broadwell Amateurs. Rangers started really well and were two goals up after 12 minutes. The opener came on 8 minutes when Rangers were awarded a penalty and Zack Elgahami netted from the penalty spot. Just 4 minutes later Zayd Alli was put clear by Miles Hatfield to net number two. On 27 minutes Marcus Williams almost made it three but his shot struck the crossbar. In the second half 67 minutes to be precise Marcus Williams missed a guilt edge chance to make it 3-0. Broadwell pulled a goal back in the 80th minute with a fine 20-yard curling shot from Ethan Wilkins that gave Dunning in the home goal no chance. Minutes later Wilkins struck the post and for the last few minutes the home side hung on for the win.

English Bicknor suffered another defeat this time at home to Gala Wilton going down 5-2. A Ben Sluman shot on 3 minutes gave Gala the lead and five minutes later Craig Howell made it two with a cracking 20-yard drive. By the 16th minute the home side were 3-0 down when Dan Gaynor netted. George Riley pulled one back for the home side on 35 minutes and just before the break Bicknor scored a second from the penalty spot netted by Darryl Addis. A second goal from Dan Gaynor on 55 minutes gave Gala a two-goal cushion and Martin Smith rounded it off in the 62nd minute.

It is unusual for Clubs to play each other home and away two weeks following but that is what happened between Quedgeley Wanderers and Sharpness. After losing heavily last week at Sharpness the home side were looking for revenge but unfortunately it was not to be. Sharpness took a 15th minute lead when Will Lacey streamed away from the home defence to send a good shot past keeper Ben Holbourgh into the far corner. A second goal from Lacy on 27 minutes was almost identical to the first with the striker being put clear to send the ball past the keeper into the same corner of the net. A third goal from Harrison Reeves two minutes before the break meant the visitors went in with a very comfortable 3-0 lead. 5 minutes into the second half the home side were awarded a penalty when Kyle James- Bryan was brought down by keeper Truan Taylor and Jack Hornsby netted from the spot. A header from Will Lacey on 60 minutes put the visitors 4-1 up with Lacey completing his hattrick. The final goal scored by Jack Higgs was a mistake by the home goal keeper Holbrough who fumbled the ball and then tried hard to prevent it crossing the line.

Hardwicke v Bromley Heath United. The game started at a high tempo and 4 minutes in saw the first causality; club stalwart Rob Hine substituted with a calf strain, Tom Hobbs coming on as his replacement. A fumble by the Bromley Heath keeper on 11 minutes saw Will Wellon on hand to poke the ball home. All Bromley Heath for the next 5 minutes with the home side pegged in their own box. A teasing cross from Antonio Nurse was put on a plate for Sam Edwards on 16 minutes but he failed to make the most of the chance. In the 25th minute the equaliser looked certain only for Nurse to waste the chance. Pat Vernall turned to celebrate his effort on goal only for the ball to be cleared off the line by the Bromley defender on 35 minutes. Bromley levelled on 38 minutes when Trai Ellison-Sackett drove a cross shot from 35 yards and keeper Ollie Hall was unable to keep it out. Second half started well for the home side and Dowdeswell delivered dangerous cross but there was no one there to get on the end of it. The home side pressed hard and the ball fell nicely to Dowdeswell on the edge of the box and he drove the ball home via the post for a 2-1 lead. Both sides made numerous substitutions in the remainder of the game but the score line remained the same to the end.

Ruardean Hill Rangers were well beaten at home by Patchway Town going down 5-1. The visitors got off to a flying start Joe Barnes giving them the lead with a neat turn in the box after just 4 minutes. The first effort from Rangers on 7 minutes came from Dan Mason but it went over the bar. Rangers should have levelled on 11 minutes from the penalty spot but Patchway keeper Sam Burgess saved Steve Clark’s spot kick. Barnes put the visitors two up on 19 minutes with an almost identical finish to the first goal and in the 29th minute a great save from Underwood prevented Barnes completing his hattrick. A Luke Johnson shot on target was deflected away for a corner in the 38th minute. 2 Minutes into the second half Patchway went 3-0 up with a goal from Grant Mathieson. The home side pulled a goal back in the 51st minute Shaun Tingle scoring following a free kick. Then Steve Clark had his effort pushed out for a corner on 70 minutes. Patchway's Harry Tetlow then scored two late goals in the 85th and 87th minute.

11th December 2021 - Shirehampton maintain lead at top

Ron Holpin


Shirehampton maintained their 3-point advantage heading into the winter break with a hard-fought win in a close encounter against a decent Broadwell Amateurs side. Broadwell had the opening opportunity to take the lead when a Ben Fishwick header drew a fingertip save from Shire keeper Matt Turner. The home side made them pay for that missed opportunity after 20 minutes when Joe Harvey finished superbly after great interplay between him and his strike partner Scott Bamford. Shire had the better of the opportunities in the remainder of the half with a deflected Bamford effort drawing a brilliant reaction save from Broadwell keeper Jack Watkins and the visiting keeper was again at his best to deny Harvey as the tireless striker stole in behind the visitors back line. Broadwell ramped up the pressure in the second half and striker Ethan Wilkins continued to cause the home side problems as the visitors drew a number of saves from Turner. Shire had the ball in the back of the net on 60 minutes but they were denied by the offside flag and moments later the visitors should’ve equalised when Creighton slipped in behind the Shire defence but Turner managed to steal the ball away from the striker as he attempted to round him. Matty McCall then had the opportunity to seal the 3 points when Broadwell lost possession but again Watkins spread himself excellently to deny the Shire captain. The away side refused to give up and forced a succession of deep free kicks but to no avail as the home side held firm for the all-important win.

The game at Hamfields between Sharpness and Quedgeley Wanderers turned out to be a heavy defeat for Wanderers going down 6-1. It didn’t start well for the home side as they lost the services of Dan Lander on 5 minutes having to leave the field with a dislocated elbow. A minute later Higgs free kick wass touched round the post for a corner by Wanderer’s keeper Holbrough. From the resulting corner sent in by Dom Small, Alex Higgs put the home side one up. On 25 minutes Dom Small broke down the right for Sharpness, he hit a hard low shot which Holbrough mishandled and it ending up in the back of the Wanderers net. Quedgeley were caught trying to play out from the back in the 39th minute and Harrison Reeves was there to round the keeper to make it 3-0. Sharpness were awarded a corner on 50 minutes when a cross from Lacey was turned behind. Dom Small’s corner was headed home by Will Lacey.

James Priday’s ball into Dom Small was swiftly moved on to Reeves who twisted and turned before slotting past the Wanderer’s keeper. A real chance to pull a goal back on 60 minutes for Quedgeley when they got behind the Sharks defence but Jack Hornsby wass denied by Taylor. Wanderers did get the ball in the back of the Sharks net on 65 minutes following a free kick into box it was flicked on towards the back post and Hornsby headed home but the flag went up for offside Hornsby again went close on 75 minutes when he shot from distance was saved by Taylor, the rebound fell to Henry Birkett but his effort struck the foot of the post. The Sharks went further ahead on 80 minutes from an attack down the left Lacey crossed the ball to Reeves who held off his marker before slamming home. In the very last-minute Jack Hornsby got behind the home defence, James Priday pushed him in the back and a penalty was awarded. Henry Birkett stepped up and scored with the final kick of the game.

Wick kept up their challenge for the title with a home win against today’s visitors Gala Wilton. Only a couple of minutes into the game Todd Carter put the home side ahead and then on 6 minutes Carter had another good chance from a Joe Thomas cross but shot wide. A disaster for the visitors on 12 minutes when Alex Gayner was shown a straight red for a rash tackle. Just a minute later the home side increased their lead when Gala Keeper Curtis Wilkins could only parry a hard shot and Rob Moore was on hand to tap in. Wick made it 3-0 on 27 minutes from a Sam Thomas cross that was headed back across goal by Rob Moore and Todd Carter forced the ball home. Gala’s first effort on goal came in the 35th minute a free kick that went just wide. They did however pull a goal back 5 minutes before the break when Connor Walters was put clear to fire home. The second half did not live up to the first 45 minutes with the visitors although down to 10 men having their fair share of possession but with neither side showing signs of scoring again it ended 3-1.

Ruardean Hill Rangers eased there worries with a 3-0 victory at home to Bromley Heath United who themselves are in a precarious position at the wrong end of the table. Rangers started well and Bromley keeper Will Ferguson was in action on 2 minutes to keep out a shot from Steve Clark. Josh Sladen could have given the home side the lead on 17 minutes but shot wide of the target. Rangers took the lead on 20 minutes with a goal from Tommy Coleman a 40-yard free kick that caught the visitors keeper out. Bromley should have levelled on 29 minutes but Jack Withey’s shot went wide. Bromley keeper Ferguson was in action again on 37 minutes this time saving well from Josh Sladen. Rangers lost the services of Bobby Walding on 60 minutes when he was dismissed for a second yellow card. Rangers got a second on 80 minutes when Luke Johnson neatly squared the ball across for leading scorer Steve Clark to finish. In the 87th minute Bromley lost their keeper Ferguson sent off for hand ball out side the box. Ollie Amos took over in goal but and his first job was to keep out a free kick from Steve Clark. In the very last minute of the game Amos was unable to keep out a shot from Steve Clark.

GFA Trophy Round 2


Frampton United put up a good show at home to Hellenic League Premier Side Roman Glass St George but leave the competition going down 5-2 on the day. The visitors took just 6 minutes to open the scoring a 25-yard dipping shot from Mikel Plummer and he scored again in the 15th minute for a 2-0 lead. Frampton hit back on 30 minutes from a Billy Curtis corner that the Romans keeper failed to deal with and Matt Cook was there to knock it home. A minute into the second half Plummer completed his hattrick when he lobbed the Frampton keeper. Lois Ward then scored a fourth and the fifth came from Shakil Smith on 52 minutes. The home side grabbed a second 5 minutes before the end when Steve Jackson dribbled through the defence to slot home.

Hardwicke entertained Toolstation Western League side AEK Boco at Green Lane in this GFA Cup clash. Most of the play in the first 30 minutes took place in the middle of the pitch. The first chance fell to Boco with Luca Wilson firing wide. The game changed somewhat on 38 minutes when Boco s Gregg Yarde was sent off for dissent. This spurred Hardwicke on and a minute later James Ratcliffe was put through by Glenn Gittins but his effort sailed over the bar. Boco took the lead a minute before half time when Hardwicke’s Rob Hine passed the ball back to keeper Ollie Hall but it was intercepted by Josh Jenkins his shot hit the post but he slotted in the rebound. Just before half time Jenkins had an opportunity to increase the lead for Boco but his shot was well saved by Hall. Boco took the game to Hardwicke but it was the home team who had the next opportunity to score a freekick was given to Hardwicke 15 minutes into the second half but Adam Bloomfield’s strike flew over the bar. The 10 men of Boco battled well and took control of the game. However, Hardwicke should have equalised on the 82nd minute when Bloomfield won the ball by the corner flag and his sublime cross was ballooned over the bar by Will Higgins. This seemed to inspire Boco and substitute Nathan Hall fired hard past Ollie Hall on 89 minutes. This was a deserved victory by the away side who battled well with 10 men for the majority of the game.

At Henbury where fellow county league side English Bicknor were the visitors the home side got off to a great start with a Cam Tarr header from a corner giving them a 1-0 lead on 2 minutes. On 20 minutes Henbury had a second goal disallowed when a long cross from Arran Rosser found the back of the net but the referees assistant raised his flag and the goal was ruled out for offside. On 36 minutes Henbury extended their lead when Andrew Dickinson Cooley finished a ball from Arran Rosser which evaded the English Bicknor defence. David Duru rose at the far post to nod home a great Toby Vosper cross on 38 minutes to put the home side 3-0 up. English Bicknor started the second half well but could not turn their improved performance into goals. Adam Rosser combined well with Ross Jones and finished with a ferocious shot into the roof of the net to put Henbury 4-0 up after 65 minutes and the home side saw the game out to progress to the next round.

10th December 2021 - Bromley Heath boss looking up

Simon Parkinson

BROMLEY Heath United’s upbeat boss Craig Britton weighed up his rising team’s recent improved form and stressed: “We’re starting to look upwards at last.”

After a sluggish start, not for the first time by their manager’s own admission, to their Marcliff Gloucestershire County League campaign, the Pomphrey Hill Fields outfit have perked up, last Saturday’s 3-0 home success over English Bicknor courtesy of Trai Elliston-Sackett’s strike, Alvin Nurse’s penalty and Oliver Hanham’s effort raising morale still more following a positive 2-2 draw with leaders Shirehampton the previous weekend.

Britton and Co seek more of the same tomorrow when they journey high into the Forest of Dean for a first date of 2021-22 with Ruardean Hill Rangers (2pm).

Heath head into combat with one defeat, a 3-0 reverse at home dealt by high-flying Wick, in their last five fixtures, further fuelling belief they can yet make themselves heard as a top-half table team if the trend continues.

Britton acknowledged: “Things are definitely uplifting, although there’s room for improvement still.

“We’ve settled down a bit now; and a lot of the younger players are gaining in experience and getting fitter.

“Winning always breeds confidence and although we’ve lost a couple of lads, it has, as it’s turned out, made us better off for it.”

The Bromley chief reflected: “The early weeks of the season were frustrating. In fact, we seem to start every season badly and pick up as we move into winter.

“Letting in sloppy goals was the main issue early doors; but we’ve tightened up a bit and we’re carrying a threat going forward.

“Having influential players back from injury, such as our winger Louis Hoyle who is quick and hardworking, and Trai Elliston-Sackett, a dynamic central midfielder with a real engine on him, has played a part in our better form.

“The Nurse brothers, Alvin and Antonio, are both back into their stride with improved fitness and confidence upfront and on the left wing respectively; and young lads such as Charlie Snell, Cam Ford and my own nephew, Tommy Andrews-Britton, have all done really well.

“As a club, it’s great to have the support too from the likes of Eco Fix Electrical, GRS Stone Supplies, Byfield Services Ltd and Greenways Plant Hire.

“I’d like to think we’re looking up now rather than down. We have a mini league of teams in and around us and if we can get good points from games against those sides, we really can begin to feel we can finish the season in the top half.”

Britton’s selection options for tomorrow’s Ruardean trip have been enhanced by the re-availability of central midfielder Tom Shopland and left-back Mitch Greenaway.

Elsewhere in the County League tomorrow, Shirehampton aim to keep a tight hold on top spot with three points against third-placed Broadwell Amateurs at the Creek (3pm).

Close on Shire’s tails and trailing by a mere three points, Wick entertain Gala Wilton for a key top-five tussle, while Henbury host English Bicknor for an all-County League encounter in the second round of the GFA Challenge Trophy (both 2pm). Little Stoke are also in action in the same county competition, but not until Tuesday night when they travel to take on Hellenic Division One hosts Shortwood United (7.45pm).

4th December 2021 - Fast starting Hardwicke see off Broadwell Amateurs

Ron Holpin


A frenetic start at Hardwicke for the visit of Broadwell Amateurs with the home side forcing four corners early on. Jordan Dowdeswell delivered a superb corner in the 25th minute which was handled by a Broadwell defender and Adam Bloonfield slotted the resultant penalty into the Broadwell net. The Broadwell defender was shown a red card for the incident. Broadwell pressed well going close with a deep looping cross only for the home side to win back possession and break away and a looping ball into the box was duly headed home by Will Matthews on 32 minutes. The home side dominated possession for the remainder of the first half but failed to make it count.

Broadwell started the second half the brighter of the two, attacking the Hardwicke box on several occasions with one of those attacks leaving the spectators at a loss as to how the ball didn’t hit the back of the Hardwicke net, keeper Ollie Hall with a superb last ditch save. The home side introduced Ben King on 70 minutes coming on for Bloomfield making an immediate impact, following some quality from Humphries in midfield who set King off on a direct run into the box only to be tripped by the Broadwell full back the Referee waved play on. The 75th minute saw the return of Will Higgins following a lengthy injury on for Matthews. Broadwell we’re battling, though nothing seemed to fall their way and a handball in the box resulted in a second penalty on 85 minutes which was neatly put away by Higgins to finish the game 3-0

Frampton United travelled the short distance to Quedgeley Wanderers and came away with the three points after a disappointing result last week. The opening goal went to the home side on 10 minutes Henry Birkett firing home from 18 yards. Right on half time saw home keeper Ben Holborough pull off a great save from Frampton’s Billy Curtis to keep the score at 1-0. Quedgeley had a great chance to go two up on 50 minutes from the penalty spot but the Frampton keeper made a great save. The visitors drew level on 60 minutes with a goal from Billy Curtis, then with 10 minutes to go Frampton grabbed the three points when Manolo Espada got onto a great cross into the box to tap the ball in.

An outstanding game by the Patchway Town keeper Sam Burgess almost got them the three points against Wick today. Patchway took the lead on 8 minutes when home keeper Joe Pople decided to leave his goal to try to cut out Patchway’s Matt Davies who had latched onto a long punt forward but he never made it and Teague lobbed the ball over him into the net. Ben Weaver was put clear on goal a minute later but Sam Burgess came off his line to smother the ball. Wick continued to attack the visitors defence but were unable to get the ball past the unbeatable Burgess. At the other end Pople brought of a great save to deny Patchway taking a 2-0 lead. It was Burgess again who made a fantastic finger tip save to deny Joe Thomas an equalising goal. The home side became very frustrated as Burgess continued to thwart their efforts but they got out of jail in time added when they were awarded a penalty taken by Mike Hardiman, Burgess saved but Joe Thomas followed in to net the rebound.

Bromley Heath United gained three points with this 3-0 win at home to English Bicknor whose form is very unpredictable. The home side got off to a great start scoring in the fifth minute from a ball crossed in by Nurse laid back across goal by Louis Hoyle for Trai Ellison-Sacket to tap in. It was 2-0 after 20 minutes when Bicknor gave away a penalty that was put away by Alvin Nurse. The 75th minute saw a third for the home side a cross into the box and Olli Hanham who had travelled 40 yards to get on the end of it and finish it off. Bicknor only created one really good chance a shot from Riley that struck the crossbar.

Bottom ClubHanham Athletic faced Rockleaze Rangers for a second time this season with the score line much better than the first meeting. Rangers took an early lead when Marcus Williams chipped the home keeper after just 2 minutes. The home side were caught out again when Dan Webb made it 2-0 to Rangers. They did however pull a goal back in the 30th minute Jack Knight getting on the score sheet. Rangers almost made it three but for a great tackle by Terry Wise to overt the danger. Hanham had a great chance to level on 60 minutes but the Ranger keeper saved the spot kick after Liam Jenkins had been brought down in the box. A free kick from the home side’s Liam Jenkins was headed onto the crossbar by Terry Wis in the 70th minute. Then the home keeper Sam Brown made several good saves to keep his side in the game. Rangers got a third goal through Zayd Alli, then in the 87th minute Hanham were awarded a second penalty after Josh Gibbs was brought down in the area and then got up to strike the ball into the Rockleaze net from the spot.

Ruardean Hill Rangers slipped up at home going down 3-1 to Henbury. The home side scored first after 8 minutes Luke Brown heading home from a Sam Mason cross. On 13 minutes there was a bout of head tennis in the Rangers box before Andy Dickinson fired his shot over the bar. Rangers’ keeper Arron Underwood gave away a penalty on 20 minutes and Kane Manning’s made sure from the spot 1-1. On 35 minutes Henbury keeper Jefferies brought off a great save tipping Steve Clark’s header over the bar. Another save from Jefferies on 52 minute this time tipping a Steve Clark free kick over the bar. In the 67st minute and against the run of play Henbury took the lead Kane Manning’s getting on the score sheet for a second time. The visitors rounded the scoring of on 75 minutes with a strike from Aaron Anglin.

Les James League Cup sponsored by Boca Teamwear - Little Stoke progress to semi-finals


Little Stoke go into the semi-final with a 3-2 win at home to Gala Wilton. Stoke were 3-0 up by half time. The first effort on goal on 14 minutes came from a through ball by Alex Hill to Ethan Moore whose shot went just wide. On 20 minutes a Jaidon Holver lob from 35 yards also went just wide of the target. Stoke went one up on 30 minutes from a delivery from Alex Hill into the box and a superb overhead kick from Phil Kourouma that hit the inside of the post on its way in. 38 minute saw a second for Stoke, a through ball from Holver saw an error by the Gala keeper Lewis skyers and Aaron West was on hand to tap in. The third for Stoke came a few minutes before the break a cross ball from Kourouma allowed Aaron West to play the ball to Kahlil Lamir to score from just inside the box. Gala hit back with two late goals just a minute apart the first on 81 minutes came from Ben Sluman after a scramble in the box the ball came out and Sluman hit a 25-yard shot home. Just a minute later it was 3-2 when Dan Gayner scored from the penalty spot. The last few minutes was a bit Shakey for the home side but they managed to hold on for the win.