News and Match Reports

29th October 2022 - Ruardean Hill Rangers win Forest Derby

Mark Simpson


Gala Wilton maintain top spot with a solid away win at Stoke Gifford with Bromley Heath United hot on their heels. Cribbs Reserves keep the pressure on but Broadwell Amateurs slip back a bit.

And where better to start than at the Forest derby where Broadwell Amateurs slipped up at Ruardean Hill Rangers and surprisingly it was not the top crowd of the day where 72 attended. The match was closely fought in the first half and indeed it was 40 minutes before things sprang into life when a 35 yard free kick from Hills Charley Mason forced Watkins in the away goal to tip over. From the resulting corner Mason’s header was scrambled away. Broadwell had the first chance of the second period with a dangerous free kick which was cleared away. Shortly after Mason had another chance but curled over. On 55 a ball into the Broadwell box caused mayhem and was finally deflected over by Troy Morgan. Just after Underwood saved from Kieron James after a slip in the Hills defence. The match was decided on eighty five when Broadwell’s Danny Hudson fouled Josh Sladen in the box and Charley Mason stuck the kick straight down the middle for 1-0 which Ruardean managed to hold onto.

Bromley Heath United maintained their 100% record with a comprehensive 4-0 home win over the luckless Patchway Town. The away side started strongly and looked threatening but on 15 minutes a good move from Bromley across the box saw Ben Ackerman cleverly lob the advancing Jed Mould for 1-0. Bromley continued to press and an incisive through ball from Antonio Nurse saw Sam Edwards go round Mould for the second. Patchway almost reduced the deficit just before the break when Jamie Moore’s free kick into the box evaded the on rushing Patchway forwards. Town started the second half well and had the lion’s share of possession without really troubling Bromley. United largely sat back but were dangerous on the break with Mould making a number of excellent saves. On 75 the best move of the game between brothers Alvin and Antonio Nurse saw Bromley further ahead. With game nearing its end Bromley’s Luke Bessell got on the end of a lovely cross and hit an unstoppable fourth goal. Patchway remain bottom.

Two early season strugglers met at Arnall Drive with all the goals coming in the first half giving Henbury a much needed win over Little Stoke. A penalty on twenty five by Warren Collins followed a trip on Shaquille Hunter to give Henbury the lead which lasted 10 minutes before Little Stoke’s Mike Hardiman finished inside the box. A free kick won by Hunter on the edge of the area was dispatched by him into the top corner for 2-1. Little Stoke came out a renewed side for the second period and threw everything at Henbury for the full 45 but a combination of resolute defending and some fantastic goalkeeping kept them out. With Little Stoke pushing hard Henbury did manage to create some good opportunities on the break but in the end held on for a valuable victory.

Another local derby between Hardwicke and Quedgeley Wanderers drew a bumper and top crowd of the day with 111 spectators. Hardwicke started brightly and could have taken the lead on two minutes when a powerful free kick was parried away by Evan Coombes. Shortly after Harry Furniss raced down the wing past two defenders and unleashed a 20 yarder well saved by Coombes. Ten minutes another chance when Hardwicke’s Pat Vernall lofted the ball over the defence for Will Mathews to head over. With the home side dominating, a Furniss cross was met by Mathews whose header came off the post. However despite all that pressure it was Wanderers who surprisingly took the lead with their first foray in the Hardwicke half when a back pass to Nathan Barrett was intercepted by the lively Sean Lawson who strode into the area and placed the ball into the back of the net. Hardwicke again took the mettle and Mathews received from Fred Humphries only to shoot wide. But it was Quedgeley who increased their lead right on half time when Ollie Curtis headed home. Further pressing in the second half saw Hardwicke have a goal wiped out as Higgins was deemed to have tackled unfairly. Hardwicke’s woes continued on 55 when Jordan Dowdeswell was dismissed for a second yellow. The game became more even for a while with few opportunities until Hardwicke lifted their game for the final ten. With five left Jack Twyman’s free kick was fumbled by Coombes leaving James Ractliffe to stab home. Three minutes later Ractliffe became provider when his cross was struck home by Furniss to square thing up. The home side almost snatched it at the death but Furniss fired over and Mathews header was cleared off the line. Breath taking stuff and an entertaining derby finished all square 2-2.

Cribbs Reserves kept up pressure at the top with a handy win over hosts Rockleaze Rangers at Hillside Gardens. The visitors edged a close game with a goal early in the second half. The game started slowly with neither side troubling the keepers. Cribbs had more of the ball and flung in a number of crosses to their big strikers Forward and Kerr. The game came to life on 25 minutes when Aaron Coleman struck the bar for Cribbs with a dipping 20 yarder which the Rockleaze defenders hacked to safety. The home sides Brandon Boontam had a rasping effort well saved by Bridgeman in the away goal after good work from the returning Cripps on the left. The only goal came on 51 when Harry Hambly got above his marker Dent and powerfully headed home from 5 yards. Two minutes later Dent should have done better at the other end but fired into the side netting from 10 yards. Rockleaze huffed and puffed but the well organised Cribbs defence saw out the remainder of the half with few problems and had it not been for a fine save by Dunning in the home goal would have got a second from a Dan Monk drive on 83.

Wick still struggle a little for results and this continued against fringe team Sharpness. The Owls started brightly and were straight at the Sharks in the first minute when Truan Taylor saved low down. Another good chance came on seven when a superb ball from Karim Rendall on the left was met by Lewis Wade whose shot was well saved by Taylor. Minutes later another great through ball set Wade racing into the box but a heavy touch allowed Taylor to save but the ball broke to Wade who was bundled over for a penalty which was brilliantly saved by Taylor. Wick could have been three up before the Sharks first real effort on 16 was dragged wide. However it was Sharpness who scored on 20 minutes with Alex Higgs firing home from close range. At the other end another effort by Rendall was well parried by Taylor to maintain the Sharks lead. Against the run of play Sharpness could have doubled their lead with sloppy defending allowing Higgs through for a shot to be deflected wide by Ashton Trott. On the stroke of half time the visitors were awarded a penalty for a rash Wick tackle and Tom Frankham dispatched confidently for 2-0. Howeve,r there was still time for Wick to strike when Rendall put Wade through to beat Taylor and reduce the deficit. The second half started evenly but the Sharks increased their lead on the hour when the busy Higgs rounded Trott for 3-1. The Owls almost got one back five minutes later but Wade’s fierce shot struck the bar. On 75 minutes Higgs again tried his luck from 30 yards but just missed the Wick goal. Wick continued to press seeking to reduce the arrears but it was Sharpness who came closest when their speedster winger let fire from the right bringing a brilliant fingertip save from Trott to see the game finish 3-1 to The Sharks.

Cheltenham Civil Service were hoping to rectify shortcomings in the league in recent weeks and began the game well but in the end fell to another defeat at the hands of Frampton United. Service controlled possession for much of the opening half an hour looking for long ball openings and stifling any Frampton advances. Despite being by far the better of the two sides it was almost inevitable that Frampton would score first and on a rare venture forward they did just that when Harvey Cowley fired a low cross in and Harvey Long was there to connect for a thirty second minute lead. Service struggled to respond and Frampton nearly made it two on half time with Cowley’s attempt rolling back out off the post. The re-start saw an end to end period with both sides going close. Just a minute in Frampton advanced down the right with Frazer Wilson who crossed in and Cowley’s header was met with a brilliant stop by Cameron Cheal. Three minutes later Service’s best chance fell to Mike Oliver who headed just wide from Lewis Driscoll’s long throw. Frampton condensed to protect their slender lead with Service struggling to break them down. A rare advance by the away side just past the hour saw them increase their lead when a dangerous ball into the box found Cowley unmarked to slot home for 2-0. Service looked down and out and very nearly conceded a third when a unmarked Manolo Espada narrowly missed the target. Frampton easily saw out the remainder of the game.

Finally to the leaders Gala Wilton, who won 2-0 with an organised performance at Stoke Gifford United. Despite plenty of possession and countless opportunities Gifford couldn’t find a way through. In an end to end first half with Gifford against a strong wind Kye Morrison, Karem Karakus, and Mike Barry all should’ve done better with opportunities while Connor Walters and Alex Gayner tested Lewis Jefferies with good chances for Gala. The game swung just before the break when Gala’s Marcus Foxwell fired home a free kick from 20 yards. Gifford started the second period on the front foot but continued to waste excellent chances to score. Kray Foster came on and almost fired home from 20 yards, while Barry threatened countless times without proving decisive. Gala hit Gifford on the counter in the 88th minute when the hosts throwing numbers forward looking for an equaliser fell to a great team break finished ruthlessly by Walters to wrap the points up 2-0.

22nd October 2022 - GFA Senior Amateur Cup Second Round Results

  • Northern Section
  • Mushet & Coalway 3 Hardwicke 3 (S Clarke, N Barnett, H Furniss)
    Hardwicke win 4-2 Penalties
  • FC Lakeside 0 Cheltenham Civil Service 4 (L Driscoll, B Blake, C Obi, OG)
  • Gala Wilton 4 Shortwood United Reserves 1
  • Quedgeley Wanderers 2 (O Curtis. X Howgate) Stonehouse Town Reserves 4
  • Woolaston 1 Frampton United 5 (H Long, M Espada 2, S Maule , C Mills)
  • Broadwell Amateurs v Abbeymead Rovers - Broadwell Amateurs Walkover
  • Sharpness 0 Berkeley Town 3

  • Southern Section
  • Olveston United 3 Henbury 1 (F Pereira)
  • Stoke Gifford United 1 Bromley Heath United 2
  • Little Stoke 0 Rockleaze Rangers 2 (Z Elgahmi, J Dent)
  • Wick 1 (J Johnson) Sneyd Park 1
    Sneyd Park win 5-4 on Penalties.
  • Cribbs Reserves 3 (A Coleman 2, J Guthrie) Greyfriars Athletic 1
  • Patchway Town 0 Filton Athletic 2

15th October 2022 - Bromley Heath United maintain perfect start

Mark Simpson


A merry go round at the top with Gala Wilton re-gaining top spot with a thumping 5-0 win at Cheltenham Civil Service. Bromley Heath United maintain their 100% record and move into second. At the other end Quedgeley move off the bottom to be replaced by Patchway Town.

We start at a bright but blustery day at Pomphrey Hill where Bromley Heath United were in front against Wick on 15 minutes, Antonio Nurse getting behind the Owls defence with Trott saving well but the ball fell to Sam Edwards to open the account. Wick came close to equalising when a well struck free kick on 25 rattled the Bromley crossbar. The home side extended their lead on 59 minutes when a ball whipped in from the right found Nurse who headed home. Wick almost scored on 75 but the shot was dragged wide via the woodwork again saving the home side. Still, five wins and an unbeaten start continues.

Leaders at the start of the day, Cribbs Reserves surprisingly came unstuck at Hardwicke. The home side started with belief and passion and some swift flowing football and were almost rewarded in the fourth minute when Will Mathew headed down for Harry Furniss whose volley flew over. On the counter Cribbs right back Aaron Coleman raced down the wing to cross to the unmarked Dan Monk whose quick shot was just wide. Hardwicke continued to press higher up the pitch and 20 minutes into the game Furniss received the ball from Jack Twyman only for Harry Bridgeman to pull off a tremendous save with his outstretched leg. Cribbs were next to attack with Andy Forward finding Tom Medford whose 15 yard effort was saved by Ollie Hall. Hardwicke should have scored when the impressive Ben Dowdeswell delivered an excellent cross and Furniss just failed to connect. Hardwicke stated the second period impressively and Dowdeswell put in another good cross for Nathan Barnett to scuff wide. On 57 Fred Humphries threaded to Pat Vernall whose ferocious shot ricocheted of the bar. Hardwicke deservedly took the lead on the hour when Twyman won the ball and slid through to James Ratcliffe who found Will Mathews who in turn found Dowdeswell who coolly slotted home. Five minutes on it was 2-0 when James and Mathews linked up to cross to Furniss who tapped in. Hardwicke were seeking a third and Dowdeswell’s 20 yarder on 80 narrowly missed the target. Cribbs responded and on the 85th minute Jack Guthrie almost pulled one back with Hall saving a fierce shot. In the final minute Hardwicke’s Rob Hine was deemed to handle giving Liam Clayton the penalty to make it 2-1 and the final score.

Little Stoke had their first league victory of the season and started brightly against Frampton United at Little Stoke Park. The home side were in front on seven when a mis-timed tackle on Symonds in the box led to Yeo converting the resultant spot kick. It was 2-0 on 10 minutes when Yeo whipped in a corner and Hardiman was on hand for a back post finish. A few minutes later Hardiman’s strike rattled the bar but it was 3-0 in the seventeenth minute when Williams left footed strike flew into the top corner. On 30 minutes it was almost 4-0 when Symond’s blistering strike was well saved. Little Stoke weren’t to be denied a fourth before half time when on 38 minutes Burgess went on a solo run down the left and a great cross found Hill’s head for 4-0 at the break. A more even second half with a Frampton rally saw them go close on 55. Little Stoke were next to come close when Symonds’ beat his man and fired in a shot which weas well saved. Frampton pulled one back when Espada slotted in from the spot following a handball. The only other chance of note fell to Koumara who reacted well to another good stop but his effort rebounded off the bar. An entertaining game with both sides trying to play in the right way but a straight forward win for the home side who left Frampton a second half mountain to climb. 4-1.

Quedgeley Wanderers moved off the bottom with a useful point at Ruardean Hill Rangers. But it was Rangers who made the brighter start when two minutes in Waugh fed Alex Stephens in whose shot was dragged wide. Seven minutes the home side were in front when a couple of defensive errors left Shaun Tingle to slot home from 15 yards. It was almost 2-0 on thirteen with Evan Coombs in the Wanderers goal saving the day. Two minutes later he was in action again somehow saving awkwardly from Shaun Tingle. Quedgeley had to wait until the twenty sixth minute for their first shot when Curtis let fly from 25 yards straight down Underwood’s throat. The away side equalised on 36 with a lovely struck shot from Christian Cooke into the far corner. A few minutes later Ellis Waugh forced Coombs into superb twisting and turning save. On the stroke of half time Tingle intercepted a bad pass but slotted just wide of the upright. Just into the second half Stephens beat the offside trap but his lofted cross found no one at home. A few minutes later a few deflections in Rangers box lead to Kory Taylor arriving at the back post to fire wide. The next half hour saw both teams cancelling each other out. The last chance of the game fell to Tingle but his header was saved by Coombs in the visitors goal to keep the score at 1-1.

Patchway Town slip to the bottom after a 2-0 reversal at Stoke Gifford United. The game started at a poor tempo but it was Patchway with the first chance with Joe Weare rather tamely shooting for Lewis Jefferies to gather comfortably. Gifford burst into life on fourteen when good build up by Mikey Barry and Kerem Karakus led to Kray Foster striking the bar from 25 yards. Gifford began to dominate with Barry, Foster, and Brad Probert all missing good chances. Gifford felt they should have had a penalty on the stroke of half time but play was waved on. The home side finally scored on 65 when from superb play by Karakus whose cross was met by Foster to slot home for the Village. More chances were passed up for Gifford but their chances were improved when Patchway’s Barry Philips was dismissed for a second yellow. The game was wrapped up on 82 minutes when Ethan Crossley went on a mazey run from centre back and set Ben Shepherd up to tap home from 5 yards and 2-0.

Broadwell Amateurs keep in touch at the top but a second consecutive draw, this time at Henbury, was not ideal. It was a tight first half with some good openings for both sides but neither goalkeeper was tested. Ross Jones opened the scoring for Henbury on the hour when he headed home at the far post from a Will Baldwin corner. Broadwell pushed hard for an equaliser and were rewarded with 10 minutes to go when Liam Thomas broke through to fire home. The visitors could have snatched it late on but a great save from Damian Chlopecki in the Henbury goal made sure that the points were shared at 1-1.

Gala Wilton go top with a bang winning 5-0 at Tewkesbury Road in what is something of a local derby for Cheltenham Civil Service. It was Gala who came flying out of the traps stunning Service with three goals in the opening twenty minutes. Firstly on five Gala pressure led to Connor Walters picking up the ball on the left, cutting inside and curled inch perfect giving Jacob Iley little chance. Two minutes on Gala doubled their lead when a free kick was won not once but twice in the air by Craig Howell who found Alex Gaynor at the back post to nod in. Another set piece brought the third for the away side when Howell’s corner was met on the run and with force by Walters for his second. Iley had to save Service from going in four down. The home side improved after the break when Gareth Jones jinky run was halted by Todd Holder in the Gala goal, before Joe Mahon saw his header tipped onto the post. It was, however, Gala who increased their tally on 70 when a speculative effort by Dan Parry from twenty five yards when in off the post with Iley rooted. Service should have pulled one back when through on his own Brett Blake allowed Holder the save. The game was finished off when in the 82nd minute a ball through saw Iley beaten to it by Ben Sluman who rolled into the empty net for five.

Finally to Hillside Gardens where both Rockleaze Rangers and Sharpness have made promising starts and a draw looked a likely result. The game was one of the proverbial two halves with Rockleaze taking control of the first half and Sharpness dominating the second. After a slow start from Rockleaze where the Sharks had plenty of the ball and fizzed a lot of crosses across the box the home side got into their stride and on thirteen minutes Jordan Dent fired home a fierce half volley after some good work by Tommy Colins and Alfie Luing down the right. A few minutes on Sharks Alex Higgs brought the ball down superbly in the box but his shot was smothered by home keeper Dunning. George James should have done better when one on one with Truan Taylor screwed wide. This miss was quickly forgotten when Rangers went two up Dent getting his second when Pete Ireland skipped past two in midfield and played through to Elgahmi whose centre across the six yard box saw Dent make no mistake. The final action of the first period came when Dunning scuffed a clearance to Higgs whose 45 yard effort was deflected wide by the despairing Dunning who had done well to get back. Sharpness quickly took control of the second half and a Will Lacey hooked volley from fully 18 yards out crept in at the near post on 57 which really put the wind into the Sharks tails. Will Tainton equalised on seventy after firing past Dunning with a fierce 8 yard drive after Ireland had given the ball away in a dangerous area. After this there were chances for both sides, both wanting three points with Dunning the busier of the keepers making sure it remained 2-2 and a game that was a great advert for the Gloucestershire County League.

14th October 2022 - GFA Senior Amateur Cup Second Round

The Second Round for the GFA Senior Amateur Cup is due to be played on Saturday 22nd October with KO times of 2:30 PM (Northern Section) and 2:00 PM (Southern Section).
Ties involving the county league sides are as below, results will be added here after games are played. Note the pull from the FA's Full-Time system isn't functioning correctly so the results won't show properly in the normal results/fixtures sections

  • Northern Section
  • Mushet & Coalway v Hardwicke
  • FC Lakeside v Cheltenham Civil Service
  • Gala Wilton v Shortwood United Reserves
  • Quedgeley Wanderers v Stonehouse Town Reserves
  • Woolaston v Frampton United
  • Broadwell Amateurs v Abbeymead Rovers
  • Sharpness v Berkeley Town

  • Southern Section
  • Olveston United v Henbury
  • Stoke Gifford United v Bromley Heath United
  • Little Stoke v Rockleaze Rangers
  • Wick v Sneyd Park Reserves
  • Cribbs Reserves v Greyfriars Athletic
  • Patchway Town v Filton Athletic

13th October 2022 - Les James League Cup Second Round Draw

The Second Round draw for the Les James League Cup sponsored by Boca Teamwear is as below.

  • Broadwell Amateurs v Hardwicke
  • Bromley Heath United v Cribbs Reserves
  • Gala Wilton v Little Stoke
  • Ruardean Hill Rangers v Sharpness

All games to be played on Saturday 3rd December with a 2 PM kick-off

8th October 2022 - Quedgeley Wanderers get first win

Mark Simpson


Well, who’d have thought it Quedgeley Wanderers without a point against Cheltenham Civil Service who hadn’t dropped a point with a big upset following which shows the quality of this League.

And that’s where we start, at Waterwells where the surprise happened. The first chance of the game fell to Ollie Curtis one on one which Jacob Iley won. In the 15th minute it was the turn of home keeper Evan Coombs to save. A minute later Lewis Driscoll drove his free kick into the wall. A goal eventually came as Curtis rounded Iley to put Wanderers in front. On 32 Service had a chance from the spot from which Coombs made a fantastic stop. Curtis had a chance for 2-0 but skewed his header. The second half started with two quick goals with Service equalising on 47 through Chisom Obi only for Curtis to score a few minutes later following an error by Iley. Curtis should have wrapped the points up but this time another Iley error went unpunished – 2-1 to Quedgeley.

Current leaders Broadwell Amateurs had to settle for 2-2 against Little Stoke’s big physical side on a glorious afternoon at the Hawthorns. Little Stoke were determined to stamp their authority early on but fell behind on five when Dan Brain delivered a perfect free kick to the far post for Taylor Blaby to head home. The visitors playing well above their lowly position started to get a foothold and equalised on twenty when a cross field ball driven towards goal rebounded off Dan Hudson to Jordan Yeo who shot low past Watkins. A few more chances for both sides before the break, closest was Ethan Wilkins against the post. The second half was just as lively as the first but poor defending by the away side inside five minutes saw Nathan Davies rob the full back and his inch perfect cross found Dan Brain to fire high into the net. The game settled for twenty minutes with a couple of chances with Davies one on one his shot blocked. Little Stoke started to press to square things up and scored in the last minute when a driven free kick was unfortunately deflected in for 2-2.

Time for a new leader of the pack with Broadwell’s last minute slip up seeing Cribbs Reserves take over with a 3-0 win over Stoke Gifford United in an entertaining game. Both sides had opportunities to take the lead in an even first half with both keepers tested. As a goalless first period loomed it was Cribbs who scored in stoppage time with Liam Clayton smashing in a 20 yarder off the underside of the bar – Lewis Jefferies no chance. Early on in the second half Clayton scored his and Cribbs second – a Gifford attack was snuffed out by Gerlando Parinello who started a move that swept the length of the park for Dan Monk to play in Clayton who drove in low and hard. The game was put out of Gifford’s reach on eighty when sub Dan Burgan’s cross was volleyed in by skipper Tom Headford for 3-0 to cap a good Cribbs show.

Nothing between the top three all on thirteen points and Gala Wilton keeping up the pace with a 2-1 win over Henbury. A decent crowd of 60 saw Gayner score twice for Gala with Iles replying for the visitors.

With Sharpness and Frampton United always on the fringes a close game was expected but it was Frampton who ran away with things 4-1. Frampton were in front on three minutes when Espada delivered a free kick to Dom Brown at the back post for 1-0. Chances for the Sharks on 19 with Tom Frankham just past the post, a minute later Alex Higgs against the post. On 28 Frankham was fouled by Espada and Tom Freeman slotted away for 1-1. In stoppage time the visitors took the lead when Willets latched on to a ball over the top and lifted it over Taylor. Five minutes into the second half it was 3-1, Espada given too much time out wide to deliver in for Cowley to duly score. On 59 it was all over when Fin Blythe struck a free kick past Taylor into the bottom corner for 4-1.

After many changes from last season Wick had their first win of the season in the Autumn sun at an immaculate Oldbury Lane over visitors Hardwicke. The first quarter of an hour was a cagey affair until a Wick saw Cole Pierre’s 20 yarder crash off the underside of the bar onto the line but was scrambled clear. A few minutes later Hardwicke fashioned their own opportunity which was safely kept out by Ashton Trott. A quickly taken free kick on thirty four set Todd Carter free on goal his shot being kept out by Oliver Hall’s feet but was followed up by Owen Riddler to force the ball home for what was to be the games only goal. The remainder of the half saw some eager football but the score board wasn’t exactly troubled. Both teams probed for an opening early in the second but neither keeper was tested until the 53rd minute when Wick’s Ashton Trott saved (reminiscent of Gordon Banks - I don’t suppose there too many of us can remember 1970) somehow lifting a Hardwicke header over the crossbar from the Wick goal line. Minutes later Wick lost the ball in midfield allowing Hardwicke’s Fred Humphries to burst through and shoot from distance with Trott saving the day. Hardwicke continued to search for the equaliser but the home defence held firm. Wick almost wrapped it up on 85 when Riddler weaved his way into the box only for Hall to save – 1-0 it stayed.

Image Gallery from Wick's Matt Davis available Here for this game.

How unlucky is this – Rockleaze Rangers losing for the second week running to an injury time goal this time to high flying Bromley Heath United. The afternoon at Hillside Gardens was bright but the football in the first period was from a slow build up by both teams with neither keeper tested. The second half became more open with Ollie Wooland clearing off his own goal line after Cameron Ford’s strike. Jensen Beard should have done better for the home side when on 65 he was put through by Jordan Dent only to shoot over when one on one with Bromley keeper Ferguson. On eighty nine Jack Withey on as a sub struck the bar with a looping header and Rockleaze should have won the game when both Beard and Elgahmi completely missed the ball with it bouncing around on Bromley’s goal line. The home side were made to pay three minutes into stoppage time from a Bromley corner Rockleaze switched off allowing Antonio Nurse to head home from three yards to take the points back to Pomphrey Hill.

Patchway Town’s troubled start continued when Ruardean Hill Rangers came down from the Forest to take three points back with them. On twenty three a speculative Ellis Waugh effort went through a defenders legs and deflected past the keeper from 10 yards. Patchway came back and levelled three minutes later when a great run down the right by Jean-Claude Berlouis saw his low hard cross turned into his own net by the unfortunate Charlie Taylor. Ruardean took the lead early in the second half when a corner into the six yard box was not dealt with by Patchway and Bobby Walding turned it into the roof of the net. Again the home side came back when a good run down the left by Kane Bartholomew beating two players and putting in a great cross for Jamie Moore to volley home on sixty one. On 70 Ellis Waugh broke through the home defence but still having a lot to do got a rather tame shot away which crept in. Patchway should have taken something out of the game with a dominance of possession but errors costing them a 3-2 defeat.

7th October 2022 - Electronic Programmes

Gala Wilton v Henbury

Click on the image to view

1st October 2022 - Bromley Heath United grab injury time winner to see off Sharpness

Mark Simpson


Well here we go again after a lengthy break from league fixtures, we have new league leaders in Broadwell Amateurs, but early season we have seven Clubs within three points of each other and two unbeaten teams.

We start at Pomphrey Hill Playing Fields where two of the early pace setters Bromley Heath United and Sharpness fought a fairly even encounter from start to finish, with clear cut chances in the first twenty minutes for both attacks being denied by solid defences. It was the Sharks who struck first when Dan Turner’s excellent run and cross was met by Callum Dumellow who turned in for a 20th minute lead. The rest of the half saw Bromley with more of the ball with Cam Ford making some surging runs from midfield but the visitors looked dangerous on the break. The second half began fairly evenly but it was Sharpness almost making it two when shots by Jack Higgs and Dumellow were narrowly wide. Bromley equalised on 75 following a period of pressure when Antonio Nurse made a trademark jinking run into the box but was up-ended and Nathan Rose converted the penalty into the top corner. Ben Ackerman went close for the home side but his header was well saved. The game ended dramatically with Bromley’s injury time winner from a from a free kick initially well defended but the resultant ball back in saw Ford’s looping header end up in the net for 2-1.

Early leaders Gala Wilton came away from Little Stoke Park with a point in a dramatic 3-3 draw. Gala started the game at a pace and were one up in 6 minutes from the spot following a foul with Martin Smith netting. The away side were two up five minutes later following good play down the right the ball fizzed across the Little Stoke six yard box and Danny Lane could do little else but turn it in to his own net. On 22 Little Stoke pulled one back after the Gala keeper spilled the ball and Mike Hardiman tapped in. Little Stoke were now in the ascendancy and equalised when an Alex Hill free kick was headed home by Luke Meacham – 2-2. Little Stoke largely dominated the second half with several good chances wasted, a Jack Burgess header was well saved, Aaron West ran through but was denied and a Matt Symonds header was inches away from converting West’s cross. Gala had ten minute spell of pressure without creating anything of note but there was late drama to come. Danny Lane superbly headed home a wonderful diagonal cross by Lewis Hughes to give the home side an 88th minute lead and for what they must have thought was the comeback winner but Gala had other ideas and a stoppage time long ball into the box was well finished by Kyle Gibbs for 3-3.

At the other end of the table it certainly isn’t the start that Quedgeley Wanderers wanted with a fifth defeat at Henbury. Although the home side came out on top more clinical finishing by Wanderers could have made it a much tighter affair, the home side taking advantage of these missed chances by scoring four themselves for their first three points of the season. Ross Jones opened the account on 23 when he fired home Rhys Iles cross. Henbury doubled the lead on 57 minutes when Jones again arrived in the six yard box to head home Will Baldwin’s corner. On 73 Toby Vosper’s through ball broke Quedgeley’s high line and Iles coolly slotted home the third. With three minutes left a Warren Collins free kick evaded the keepers grasp and nestled in the bottom corner for 4-0 and back to the drawing board for Quedgeley.

A solid start for Broadwell Amateurs has taken them to the top after a scrappy match at Frampton United produced a 1-0 win for them. The first chance fell to the visitors along range shot was parried by the keeper and fell to Ethan Wilkins who screwed it wide. The home side’s first effort came from James Harwanko whose shot was smothered by Jack Watkins. In the 38th minute Stuart Maule was denied by a last ditch Kris Burnard tackle. The only goal came on the hour when a cross into the box was converted by Jamie Belfitt. Frampton had a great chance to level matters but Harvey Cowley’s weak shot was straight at Watkins. In the dying minutes Frampton had a chance from a corner but Dom Brown’s header sailed over.

Hardwicke’s match against Rockleaze Rangers started brightly and it was the away side with the first chance with Jordan Dent swiftly running down the wing only for his cross to be scuffed by George James. Hardwicke should have been in front on thirty five when a cross was headed wide by Pat Vernall. Rangers took the lead on 40 when home keeper Ollie Hall raced off his line to tackle the advancing James whose pass was executed perfectly for Sam Bailey to sweep home. Hardwicke’s response was quick and the equaliser, just before the break, came from a Nathan Barnett’s powerful header from Jordan Dowdeswell’s corner. The away side restored the lead when a cross by Joe Lewis fell to Hardwicke’s Hall who miskicked and left Bailey to fire home. Hardwicke’s second equaliser on eighty minutes came when Dowdeswell crossed for Will Mathews to heads home. The game looked to be heading for a well contested draw but Bailey completed his hat trick in the 89th minute when he converted Brandon Boontam’s cross for 3-2 to the visitors.

Cheltenham Civil Service hosted their first home league fixture this season with the visit of Patchway Town. Both teams started brightly and Patchway worked a good position but the shot was weak. Service responded with good link up between Gareth Jones and Brett Blake found Lewis Driscoll who shot wide. Patchway found their way into the game and went in front on fifteen when a ball down the right found Joe Weare who placed the ball past Jacob Iley. The instant response that Service wanted took a while to effect but they equalised on 37 when a long throw was glanced on by Teejay Hoskin to Carl Griffiths at the back post for a simple header. Both teams started the second period with intent with Service having the first chance Brett Blake firing wide. Patchway continued to offer energy especially out wide but failed to trouble Iley in the Service goal although several crosses were met with good defending or lack of forwards. Service upped the pace and took the lead on 73 when Gareth Jones corner was met by Hoskin’s head. Good link up by Obi and Driscoll saw his effort ruled out for offside. Matters were concluded in the 84th minute when Shay Dualeh picked the ball up just over halfway with a mazy run ended by a Patchway lunge and Hosking calmly scored the spot kick for 3-1 to Civil Service.

Stoke Gifford United picked up their first County League points with a straight forward 4-0 win over Wick. Gifford dominated for large periods and were rewarded with four quality goals. Great wing play by Kye Morrison whose wicked cross gave Paul Cronin a simple finish from 5 yards started the rout. Gifford continued on the front foot aided by a Wick sin binning with the second goal came from Kerem Karakus after excellent play from Mike Berry. Wick started the second half with more intent and were unfortunate when Jay Vile had a pop from 25 yards only for it to strike the bar. The dangerous Berry secured the points on 83 when breaking clear, Kray Foster slid him in behind and Barry travelled 40 yards to fire into the bottom corner. With a few minutes left there was still time for another, this time Risuna Mabasa turned provider for captain Dave Talbot to poke home the fourth and put the icing on the cake for Gifford.

Image Gallery from Wick's Matt Davis available Here for this game.

A trip to the Forest for Cribbs Reserves saw them take all three points off Ruardean Hill Rangers . First chance to Cribbs on eight but Kieran Clayton shot wide. Rares Micula thought he’d broken the dealock only for his shot to come off the Cribbs post. Ruardean did take the lead on 13 minutes when Alex Stephens capitalised on a Lynford Bhebhe error to slot past Bridgeman. Ten minutes later Charley Mason flipped the ball up from 40 yards and let fly with a volley that had Bridgeman scrambling across his goal before tipping it over. Cribbs found an equaliser on 25, with the ball richocheting around the box before trickling into the net and down as an own goal. There were chances at both ends , Micula forcing Bridgeman into a good save and Tom Headford spurning a close range chance for the visitors. Cribbs did, however, take the lead after 37 when Aaron Coleman smashed in following good work be Headford out wide. The start of the second half was a cagey affair but Hill made things harder for themselves when Micula saw red for a bad tackle. Hill kept themselves in the game when in the 80th minute Underwood stayed big in the goal to save with his feet from Headford. Hill thought they’d earned a point when awarded a penalty for a foul on Stephens and Charley Mason converting – 2-2. However a controversial ending ensued with Underwood down in the area play was allowed to go on and Dan Monk put in the empty net for 3-2 to Cribbs.