News and Match Reports

26th December 2022 - Broadwell Amateurs win Boxing Day Derby

Mark Simpson


On a glorious sunny Boxing Day afternoon 328 supporters watched the customary local derby fixture between Broadwell Amateurs and Ruardean Hill Rangers. With bragging rights up for grabs and the pitch in perfect condition the scene was set for a cracker of a game. Unfortunately, the players had not read the script and the first half proved to be a dour affair.

The visitors were the more energetic and spirited side for the opening fifteen minutes closing down the Broadwell players at every opportunity and with Troy Morgan seeing his shot on goal after only three minutes saved by Broadwell’s keeper Watkins. The home sides first corner on 20 minutes saw Ethan Wilkins timid header go wide of goal. On 28 minutes Ruardean’s Alex Stevens had a good chance to secure the lead latching onto a ball threaded through the home defence only to see his shot go wide. At the other end keeper Underwood pulled off two first class saves to keep Ruardean in the game. With both defences in control the first half finished 0-0.

The second half started at a quicker pace and Ruardean latched onto a dropped ball by Watkins only to see Telling’s shot high over the bar. However the home side began to stamp their authority on proceedings with Dan Brain prolific down the left flank, tormenting the visitors defence . On fifty-six minutes Brain once again taunted his full back before double checking back to hit an inch perfect cross from the bye line into the path of Ben Fishwick, who headed home from six yards. Broadwell had the ball in the back of the net just minutes later from captain Locke but was judged offside. The home side controlled the final twenty minutes of play with the young Ruardean side tiring. Manager Chris Brain used the opportunity to bring Liam Thomas on for the final fifteen minutes returning after a lengthy injury.

18th December 2022 - Les James League Cup Semi-Final Draw

The Semi-Final draw for the Les James League Cup sponsored by Boca Teamwear is as below.

  • Bromley Heath United v Broadwell Amateurs
  • Sharpness v Little Stoke

All games to be played on Saturday 25th February with a 2 PM kick-off

17th December 2022 - Stoke Gifford with late turnaround to win at Rockleaze Rangers

Mark Simpson

A chance to go joint top was there for Rockleaze Rangers but a useful Stoke Gifford United outfit had other ideas in the only league game to survive the Baltic conditions with a good crowd of 61 braving the cold. Stoke Gifford started strongly culminating in Rangers centre back Mike Perham slipping in the area upending Harry Johnson for a 12th minute penalty which Tauren Williams smashed down the middle of the goal for 1-0. On twenty one minutes Rangers were unfortunate when a square ball across the six yard box by George James narrowly evaded Dan Webb’s outstretched leg. Webb didn’t have to wait long for another chance when in the thirty eighth minute Sam Bailey crossed for Webb to tap home to ensure that the teams went in all square at the break in a very even and entertaining affair.

The second period started keenly with Sam Bailey clipping the Gifford woodwork just four minutes with a lob over keeper Onslow. At the other end a fierce drive from Kerim Karakus brought the best out of Dunning in the home goal. On sixty two minutes Kalil Traore nearly fired past his own keeper the ball going out for a Rangers corner. From this corner Traore made amends for his mistake with a brilliant goal line clearance managing to divert the ball over after a powerful Perham header. From the resulting corner another powerful header was kept out by Onslow but the ball fell to Perham who fired home a 15 Yard volley for Rangers to lead. Three minutes from time Gifford were back in it when Joe Lewis gave a penalty away which Marcus Thatcher blasted down the middle for 2-2. Both teams were now pushing for the winner and it was Gifford who found it when Mike Barry drove home from the edge of the box seven minutes into added time for 3-2 to Stoke Gifford and to subject Rangers to yet another home defeat right at the death.

9th December 2022 - Electronic Programmes

Gala Wilton v Patchway Town

Click on the image to view

3rd December 2022 - Patchway Town take points against Quedgeley to climb off the bottom

Mark Simpson


Mixed bag today in the Marcliff Gloucestershire County League, four league matches and the Les James League Cup quarter finals. In a ‘six pointer' at the bottom of the league Patchway Town took the three points against Quedgeley Wanderers to swap places. In the cup another win for Little Stoke, can they take the trophy for a third consecutive time – who knows.

Scott Park for the six pointer between Patchway Town and Quedgeley Wanderers is where we start. Pretty well an incident free first half with a couple of Patchway chances, on four minutes a great cross by Jay Moore missed the defenders and fell to Joe Weare and with only Derbyshire to beat put his first time shot wide. Late in the half Matteo Pali’s cross found Moore whose shot was blocked by Jack Bright and fell to Kane Bartholomew whose effort was superbly saved. Into the second period and Quedgeley woke up a bit with a good 15 minute spell nervously dealt with by Patchway and on the hour Oliver Curtis was put through by Callum McLean but Sam Burgess was out quickly to save the shot. The only goal came five minutes later when Tate Shaw was put through by Sam Finn who pushed it past Derbyshire but was brought down. Bartholomew’s powerful spot kick found the net via Derbyshire’s hand. 1-0 to Patchway lifts them off the bottom and unfortunately replaced by Quedgeley.

On a cold day at Hillside Gardens two in form teams met and it was Rockleaze Rangers who lifted themselves up to fourth in the table with a fifth win in a row this time over Frampton United. A cagey first half well officiated by Callum Newman was pretty dull with both goalkeepers mere bystanders despite the best efforts of Frampton’s Harvey Cowley who seemed to be on a loan mission. A better second period and that man Cowley should have done better in the fiftieth minute when he raced through only to fire wide of Dunnings goal. Only a minute later Mike Perham had an effort from a corner cleared off the line and last weeks hattrick man George James had a header into the side netting. The game had really opened up now and Jonathan Willets was next to go close for the visitors firing wide from 12 yards. The only goal came on 66 minutes when a corner swung in by Henry Jones was met with a towering Perham header. Frampton came closest in the closing minutes when a cross from Fin Blythe struck the top of the crossbar and Rockleaze weathered the storm for a 1-0 win.

At the Stoke Gifford Stadium the home side thumped Cheltenham Civil Service 6-1 flying out of the traps for a first minute lead, Devanti McInerney firing home from 18 yards. The lead was doubled on 15 minutes with good work by Paul Cronin leading to Kray Foster rifling home from 20 yards. It was 3-0 on the half hour, Cronin finding McInerney with a lovely chip the young winger beating his man again and smashed home emphatically. Civil Service had a few chances themselves but Jefferies wasn’t overly stretched. Mike Barry thought he’d won a penalty on 32 minutes, but he thought wrong. Brad Probert added the fourth on 38 minutes when his tireless pressing led to a deflected finish. Service pulled one back on 40 when Kieran Taylor had a free header from 12 yards. Gifford thought they’d extended their lead two minutes into the second half but Tom Hodge’s close range effort was disallowed. The fifth came on the hour when a lovely chipped cross from Josh Starowski was headed home by the hard working Mike Barry. The icing on the cake came when a clever free kick from Tauren Williams picked out McInerney who slotted home for his hattrick.

At Oldbury Lane both Wick and Henbury need points to improve their positions and Wick were on the front foot early on enjoying good possession and creating an early header, the opportunity wide. It was Joe Beardmore for Wick with the opening goal after 15 minutes pouncing onto a loose ball in the Henbury box and stabbing home. Wick continued to create opportunities with Beardwell and Jack Creaney coming close. But it was Henbury who nearly equalised on 40 minutes when Ashton Trott adjusted his footing well to save a 25 yard swerver and was on hand to keep out a flicked header from the resulting corner. Henbury started the second half with purpose going close within minutes of the restart and again another 25 yard effort just cleared the bar. Wick came back with two half chances and on seventy five Chlopecki in the visitors goal saved well following a scramble in the six yard. Wick gave themselves breathing space on eighty when a cross from the ever lively Beardwell was met by the head of Jay Vile finishing powerfully. Henbury refused to lie down and Wick were thankful to Trott for stopping a rifling drive high to his left and the visitors were further denied by a goal line clearance. 2-0 to Wick.
Images from this game are available Here from Wick's Matt Davis

Les James League Cup - Sponsored by Boca Teamwear


Now to the cup and we start in the Forest where firstly Broadwell Amateurs moved into the semis against a hard working Hardwicke team and Ruardean Hill Rangers lost out on spot kicks to Sharpness. At the Hawthorns it was Hardwicke who took the lead 10 minutes in when young Skidmore gave away a penalty which Will Matthews tucked away. It took only five minutes for the home side to level, Ethan Wilkins jinked his way past the visitors defence and his shot was deflected in. Both sides enjoyed long spells of possession for the rest of the half with Locke hitting the bar for Broadwell and the visitors Furniss seeing his shot well saved by Watkins. The second half opened up bizarrely with Hall slipping when attempting to pick the ball up and with the goal at his mercy Taylor Blaby also slipped allowing a clearance to be made. The home side upped the pace of the game and Davies saw his header cleared off the line and Hall pushing Blaby’s shot wide. On 65 Dan Hudson found Wilkins unmarked in the box and his header flew in to the top corner 2-1. Hardwicke started to push to get back on terms and were duly rewarded with an exceptional goal with James Ratcliffe attacking down the right flank and squeezing the ball past the advancing Watkins and inside the post for 2-2. With the game looking to drift to penalties substitute Kieran James with some outstanding footwork changed the course of things, boxed in near the corner flag he flicked the ball up hit a perfect delivery into the six yard box for Wilkins to head home.. Hardwicke pushed for an equaliser and a failed attempt from a corner saw a Broadwell counter and a long pass into the area found Skidmore pushed over for a penalty which was duly dispatched by Jordan Locke for 4-2.

To Ruardean Hill where there was plenty of action at both ends and early on Shaun Tingle‘s 10 yard shot was charged down. On fifteen a good run by Alex Stephens set up Tingle who drove home from the edge of the area to put Hill in front. A few minutes later Hill’s Aaron Underwood was called into action tipping over from Will Tainton. Just before the half hour both teams were reduced to ten. Just after this Underwood was in action again with a point blank save from an Alex Higgs header. On thirty seven Underwood again saved from Higgs. A minute before the break came the Sharks equaliser from the spot Tom Frankham slotting home following a handball. Into the second half and a Higgs shot was deflected over. Five minutes in and Underwood saves after Morgan lost the ball. On 55 a great header from Brad Gibbs rattles the Hill crossbar following a corner. Ollie Mason’s free kick was well saved by Truan Taylor in the Sharks goal. Sharpness continued to press and Higgs headed wide at the back post. A couple of good saves by Taylor followed first from Ollie Taylor from distance and then from a Max Telling header. Two minutes from time a great save by Underwood took the game to penalties and the unfortunate John Sladen missed the only one to give it to the Sharks 5-4 after the 1-1 draw.

An interesting tie at Pomphrey Hill where Bromley Heath United took on Cribbs Reserves with the first half seeing some attractive football from both sides. Despite good spell of possession there were few clear chances with defences on top. Both Guthrie and Coleman in Cribbs midfield were showing good form as were Withey and Edwards for Bromley. On 40 minutes a good ball In by Sam Edwards was put narrowly wide by the advancing Alvin Nurse. Then right on half time a jinking run past defenders from Antonio Nurse was blocked by Harry Bridgeman only for Alvin to finish for 1-0. Bromley started the second period well and five minutes in it was two when Alvin’s cross was well controlled by Antonio coolly slotting past Bridgeman. The two goal margin was short lived when just five minutes later Jack Guthrie hit a fierce shot deceiving the keeper and into the net. The final half hour was competitive and close but no further goals and Bromley just edged it 2-1.

Finally to Gala Wilton’s Fourmile Gardens where a decent crowd of 85 saw an eventful feisty affair between the current league leaders and the cup holders Little Stoke. The game started fast and the hosts struck first. A long throw from Ben Sluman was headed on and Connor Walters fired a low volley in. Little Stoke replied on seven minutes when good work down the right from Jordan Yeo who engineered a cross headed by Luke Meacham, Todd Holder making a great save only for the ball to fall back to the No.9 who poked in. Gala retook the lead on 24 minutes when a meandering run from Sluman who picked out Alex Gayner beating his man and firing in at the near post. Little Stoke came back for 2-2 on thirty six minutes when the lively Yeo beat the full back smashed a low cross in for Meacham to grab his brace. The game somewhat turned five minutes before the break when Dan Gayner thought he’d got a penalty only to be waved away and the ball cleared away for a strong challenge between Kieran Mace and Alex Hill resulted in a red for Mace and the home side down to 10. Gala worked tirelessly in the second half and created good chances with Jordan Molyneux crashing a header off the bar. Gala pressed to snatch a winner but a long ball up by Little Stoke resulted in a free kick and Yeo delivered a dangerous ball in, Todd Holder parried and Luke Allen poked home for 3-2. Gala were awarded a very late penalty when Elliot Martin was fouled and up stepped Martin Smith to send the game to penalties but Connolly Jarrett made an outstanding save to send Little Stoke into the semis. It didn’t end there as celebrations in the box led to yellow cards to Little Stoke players .

1st December 2022 - Electronic Programmes

Gala Wilton v Little Stoke

Click on the image to view