News and Match Reports

25th February 2023 - Hardwicke pick up vital points

Mark Simpson


A day off for the leaders and of the challengers playing only Gala Wilton took the opportunity to make any gains. At the bottom Hardwicke and Patchway Town fought a six pointer and the bottom three are starting to come adrift. It was also Les James league Cup semi-finals with Sharpness and Broadwell Amateurs making it through to the final.

At Green Lane it was an important game for both Hardwicke and Patchway Town and it was the hosts who took the points. Both teams battled away seeking an early chance to take the lead. The first chance fell to Hardwicke after quarter of an hour when James Humphries raced down the wing and crossed for Paul Carter whose over-head kick flew wide. Five minutes on and James Humphries teased Patchway again and crossed for Ben King to volley against the bar. Hardwicke took the lead on twenty minutes when Fred Humphries slotted home from the penalty spot. Patchway responded immediately with Brendan Detain finding the back of the net only to be ruled out for offside. The second half began at a frantic pace but an opportunity to score didn’t come until the 65th minute when Patchway’s Cam Adams free kick from 25 yards was parried away by Hall. Five minutes later Patchway were down to ten when Matt Baker was dismissed. A cross from the resultant free kick from Ryan Webb was met by a powerful header from Nathan Barnett who made the final score 2-0 to Hardwicke.

Two promotion candidates met at a very cold Hillside Gardens where Wick took three points off Rockleaze Rangers. Rockleaze were in charge for most of the first half with the first chance falling to Elgahmi on 13 minutes but his back post header was turned away by Ashton Trott. Mike Perham should have opened Rockleaze’s account from the resulting corner but he only managed to squeeze the ball against the post with the goal gaping. On 41 minutes Fraser Butt rattled Wick’s crossbar from distance but wasn’t to be denied four minutes later when a quite marvellous free kick from 25 yards beat Trott at the bottom right hand corner for 1-0. Wick came out of the blocks in the second half and never allowed Rockleaze to get going again. A minute in and the prolific Joe Beardwell rose at the back post to nod home Millard’s cross. Just 8 minutes later Liam Towler turned well in the box and struck the ball past Jordan Dunning for a second and at this point it was all one-way traffic. Rockleaze did have a one-on-one chance with a quarter of an hour left but inexplicably Hall squared the ball rather than shooting from 8 yards. Wick remained the most likely to score and Osbourne had a goal bound free kick well saved by Dunning and Jack Creaney should have done better when open in the box he scuffed his shot which fell nicely into Dunning’s hands. The game petered out and Wick deservedly took the match 2-1 on the basis of their second half performance.

Towards the top again and Gala Wilton needed the points to sustain their challenge and came away with an excellent victory against the notoriously difficult Ruardean Hill Rangers. It was only 4 minutes in when Martin Smith put Gala ahead with a first time shot after Hill lost possession. A few minutes later Fin Jones 25 hit yarder for Ruardean straight down Todd Holder’s throat. Hill did equalise on thirteen minutes after a beautiful 1-2 between Kane Samson and Ollie Mason saw Mason through to slip the ball under Holder. The game became a bit niggly for the remainder of the half. Gala retook the lead five minutes into the second half when Alex Gayner hit the rebound home from an Aaron Underwood save from Marcus Foxwell’s free kick. On 53 minutes Mason forced a good save from Holder. On sixty six minutes Alex Stephens thought he had a penalty but was play was waved on. With quarter of an hour left Charley Mason’s free kick was headed against the post and appeared to some to have crossed the line, but where’s goal line technology? A few minutes later Charley Mason hit a 30 yard free kick, saved by Holder. Two minutes from the end Gayner should have made sure of the points for Gala but was wide of the mark. Another controversy right at the end - did Holder take out Charley Mason, who knows! But a fine 2-1 victory for Gala Wilton.

Stoke Gifford United’s turn for two games this week the first a Tuesday night victory over Broadwell Amateurs but boy didn’t they leave it late. A good crowd of 75 boosted by ground hoppers from far and wide saw Broadwell edge the first 10 and Lewis Jefferies dealt easily with a 35 yarder. Gifford began to establish some control with Paul Cronin and Devanti McInerney getting behind Broadwell’s full backs. On the half hour an excellent run by Devanti with the ball falling for Cronin 10 yards out but his fierce shot was superbly blocked. A flurry of set pieces and corners for Gifford were resolutely defended by the visitors. Gifford dominated proceeding in the second half but struggled to find a clear way to goal. McInerney found himself clear on goal a couple of times but failed to find the net. Another sweeping move by McInerney saw his driven cross missed by Kray Foster despite his best efforts. The winner did come in time added on when Tauren Williams through on goal an had his initial effort saved but managed to poke the ball home. Spike Weaver nearly added a second but was denied by the offside flag. A good 1-0 win for Gifford.

Now to Saturdays affair against struggling Quedgeley Wanderers and Stoke Gifford United made no mistake. They flew out of the traps and were ahead inside 5 minutes, Devanti McInerney firing into the bottom corner. It was 2-0 after 15 minutes, the lively Mike Barry was too hot to handle and was taken out allowing Tauren Williams to dispatch the resultant penalty. Gifford were relentless in attack with Rudi Hill adding his name to the scoresheet after good work by McInerney. The fourth came from a clever short corner from Scott Taylor finding Marcus Thatcher who whipped in a cross for Dave Talbot to nod home. Gifford were five up before half time when the menacing McInerney broke free again and fired into the bottom corner from 12 yards. He completed his hat-trick just after the break beating the full back and cooly slotting home. Mike Barry topped his fine display with a goal Spike Weaver finding him to finish emphatically. A little bit of respite for the visitors came when a delightful cross was nodded in by Stephen Norwood. The lively Weaver then turned goal scorer picking up a brace in quick time to cap a good performance. Hill finished the scoring when after a brilliant save by the substitute goalkeeper the ball fell into his path and he stooped to nod home for 10-1. Back to the drawing board for Quedgeley Wanderers.

Another of the strugglers, Henbury fared a little better than Quedgeley but the outcome was just the same, “nil points” following a 3-2 victory for Frampton United at Arnall Drive. Frampton had the opportunity to take the lead on twelve minutes when awarded a penalty but it was well saved by Damian Chlopecki in the Henbury goal. On 25 minutes Frampton opened their account with Dom Brown’s header. Two minutes into the second half the lead was doubled by Harvey Cowley’s header. Henbury’s Sam Allen prevented a third with a goal line clearance. The hosts hauled themselves back into the game in the 65th minute with an impressive 20 yard strike by substitute Rhys Iles. Ten minutes later Frampton had a second penalty this time converted by Craig Mills. With two minutes left the home side pulled another goal back when Fabian Pereira headed in from Iles assist but it wasn’t quite enough Frampton holding on for 3-2.

Les James Cup Sponsored by Boca Teamwear - Sharpness and Broadwell Amateurs reach the Final


It's Les James League Cup semi final time, and a crowd of 128 saw Sharpness defeat Little Stoke who had in fact won the last two competitions. Sharpness started brightly and thought they were in front when Tom Frankham’s corner was headed back across goal by Rouse to Thurston who thought he had scored but there was the matter of a defender in the way to clear. Alex Higgs then had a shot comfortably dealt with by Jarrett. After the initial 15 minutes Little Stoke grew into the game and had the better of the first half. Mike Hardiman had a chance to score but pulled his effort wide. Jordan Yeo had a chance to test Truan Taylor but his free kick effort was straight into the Sharks wall. Taylor had to be at his best on the half hour tipping Luke Meacham’s effort over the bar. Little Stoke kept pushing but Sharpness dug in the keep the scores level at the break. The second half was much the same with Little Stoke dominating and they got their reward in the 54th minute when a ball in behind James Priday found Jordan Yeo who beat his man and superbly crossed for Meacham to head home. The visitors piled on the pressure but couldn’t find that elusive second. In the end they were made to pay when a Will Tainton corner was headed home by Priday with seconds remaining, for what was The Sharks only real effort in the second half. So near to a third consecutive final for Little Stoke was now to be down to penalties. Sharpness won the shoot out 4-3 with Taylor saving the visitors fifth penalty.

The second semi-final at Pomphrey Hill saw Broadwell Amateurs through to the final dispensing with hosts Bromley Heath United. Another decent crowd of 75 saw a very tight even first quarter with no clear-cut chances. The first one fell to Bromley captain Jack Withey who from a corner had his acrobatic volley well saved by Jack Watkins. The hosts started to look threatening from a series of corners but failed to find the net. It wasn’t until the end of the half that the deadlock was broken, Dan Brain cleverly beating his man and delivered an excellent cross for Ethan Wilkins to score with a well-placed looping header. The second half was equally as tight and again chances were very limited. Broadwell went further in front on the hour, Ethan wilkins finding himself free just inside the box, after an uncharacteristic Bromley defensive mix-up, his shot hard and low finding the net despite Will Ferguson’s effort to stop it. There was no way back for Bromley and although they tried hard to get a consolation Broadwell held on to deservedly reach the final 2-0.

18th February 2023 - Cribbs Reserves surge past Hardwicke

Mark Simpson


An interesting week with Cribbs Reserves stealing a march at the top with two wins. Rockleaze Rangers keep in touch with a win but both Gala Wilton and Bromley Heath United slip up. The bottom four all came off second best.

Starting at The Lawns Cribbs Reserves had a Wednesday night win against a resilient Ruardean Hill Rangers. In a match of very few opportunities the home side scored the decisive goal on 31 minutes when a James Clayton cross from the left was stabbed in from close range by Andy Forward, despite the heroics of Aaron Underwood in the visitor’s goal. The home side were largely untroubled at the back for almost the entirety of the game. Hill did have a number of set pieces towards the end but were dealt with successfully to claim three points.

To Saturday and a less resilient Hardwicke collapsed to an 8-0 defeat. However, for much of the first half there was little indication of what was to follow with neither side stamping any authority on the game. Cribbs did take the lead on 43 minutes when good work by Aaron Coleman allowed Jack Guthrie to fire a rasping shot home. A second soon followed when Hardwicke failed to clear their lines and Tom Headford drove in from 15 yards. Any hope of a second half Hardwicke fightback disappeared two minutes in when a James Clayton corner was turned in by Headford at the back post. Not long after a slick move down the left culminated in a Clayton cross being finished off by Forward. There was no let up from the rampant hosts and a fifth arrived just past the hour when a pinpoint Dan Monk corner was headed in by Headford for his hat-trick. Moments later a through ball by James Clayton found brother Liam for the sixth. An own goal and a second from Guthrie completed the rout capping a very strong performance by the league leaders.

Rockleaze Rangers remain second with a fine 2-1 victory at Sharpness. The Sharks started brightly and took the lead twenty minutes in when a corner from Lacey was met by Priday’s head and parried by Dunning but James Litten was on hand to poke the loose ball home. Rockleaze levelled on the half hour when a poor corner delivery wasn’t dealt with and James George diverted the ball past Truan Taylor. The hosts pushed for a second and Lacey’s effort was tipped over by Dunning. The second half was started cagily but eventually came to life twenty minutes from time. Sharks Alex Higgs dispossessed Elgahmi on the halfway and was through one on one but Elgahmi recovered to make his tackle just as Higgs was preparing to shoot. Higgs went close shortly after when Bennett found him within range but couldn’t find the target. Rockleaze took the lead ten minutes from time when a loose pass was latched onto by Duckett who fed Shaw on the touchline who crossed and George Thomas trying to cut out the danger deflected the ball over Taylor into his own net. Sharpness pushed for an equaliser and Higgs was close late on but his shot drifted wide.

In the chasing pack at Fairmile Gardens were Gala Wilton and what was a fairly even affair ended up with Cheltenham Civil Service picking up the points with a last-minute winner. The first period saw few chances with both teams taking time to grow into the match in gusty conditions. The only action of note was a curled effort from Gala’s Connor Walters which struck the crossbar. The second half had more chances but the wind played a factor in the quality of football played. Martin Smith had a furious strike saved by the impressive Brett Pittaway. Alex Gayner also caused problems working Pittaway on two occasions. However a last minute smash and grab by Service came from good work by Obi Chisom who found space to fire a low shot into the corner of the net for a 1-0 away win.

Bromley Heath United seem to have hit a sticky patch with a second consecutive defeat this time at Wick. The hosts started brightly forcing a number of corners in the first ten minutes after which the game settled into an entertaining end to end affair. Wick opened the scoring after twenty-two minutes when Leon Clayton-Clarke’s dangerous cross from the right found Joe Beardwell in the six yard area to muscle the ball past Will Ferguson. The game continued in an open fashion and Bromley had a great chance to level just before the break but Ashton Trott’s brilliant point blank save preserved the host’s lead. The second half followed the pattern of the first, both sides locked in a competitive battle. Wick came close on 65 with a well worked move which ended up with the shot wide of the target. Ten minutes on Bromley came closer still when Wick’s defence cleared off the line following a corner. It was Wick, however, who scored again ten minutes from time Jay Vile knocking in at the far post. Bromley sprung into life for the final ten, and a goal mouth scramble was nullified by Trott diving on the loose ball. The visitors did eventually score when the dangerous Jack Withey powered in a header from a corner to give the visitors hope, but it was Wick who held out for a 2-1 win in a game played in good spirit.

Henbury’s trip to the Forest ended in defeat at the hands of Broadwell Amateurs. Two early injuries did not help the visitors and Broadwell attacked down the left several times with Dan Brain tormenting his full back and putting in numerous crosses. On eight minutes good interplay between Liam Thomas and Jordan Locke allowed Thomas to lay off a perfect pass to Nathan Davies to slip the ball past Price. With Broadwell dominating the early play it wasn’t until the twentieth minute that Henbury had their first shot with Chigozie Ude’s effort just over. Ethan Wilkin’s had the ball in the net for Broadwell but it was chalked off for offside. The second half saw Henbury having more of the early play with Ross Jones seeing his effort saved by home keeper Watkins. On fifty-two minutes Thomas should have scored for Broadwell pouncing onto a poor back pass but his shot spun wide of the post. Broadwell continued to attack down the flanks and were guilty of missing a host of chances. For the last fifteen Henbury pushed hard for an equaliser Jack Watkins making an outstanding save from the unmarked Ross Jones. Henbury gained a flurry of corners in the final minutes and visiting keeper Price came up for one adding his weight to the cause but left his goal unprotected. Along clearance by Burnard found the nippy Dan Brain who beat the lone defender to seal the game 2-0. For Henbury the effort was there but the killer touch in front of goal eluded them.

Just above bottom side Henbury are Quedgeley Wanderers who hosted Ruardean Hill Rangers who had the first goal-bound effort with Steve Sparrow saving from Ben Ball. There were few chances in the first half Ruardean coming closest in the twentieth minute when a corner broke to Ollie Mason whose shot was saved by Sparrow. In the second half the visitors had the first chance on 52, Fin Jones shot on target. However it was the hosts who took the lead with Sean Lawson through one on one beating Aaron Underwood. Hill equalised on 66 minutes, Ben Ball striking home a free kick. Quedgeley did have a free kick on the edge, given away by Underwood, but nothing came of it. Mason had a shot come off the post before Hill struck the winner in the closing minutes, Fin Jones finding the net for 2-1.

Just above Quedgeley sit Patchway Town who crashed 5-1 against Stoke Gifford United at Scott Park. The visitors were in front on three minutes with their first attack Dave Talbot’s 25 yard strike giving Sam Burgess in Patchway’s goal no chance. Ten minutes it was 2-0, Paul Cronin robbed a defender, beat another, and put his shot into the left of the goal. A hectic start continued and Patchway pulled one back on 16 minutes Adam Porters ran down the left and shot against the upright and with Lewis Jefferies attempting to stop the first shot left the goal unguarded for Brandon Detain to slot into an empty net. Patchway were right back in the mix until they conceded a penalty three minutes before the break, Michael Barry drawing a rash challenge by Adam Porter, Tauren Williams scoring. The fourth came on three minutes into the second period Devanti McInerney clean through and slotting past a helpless keeper. On fifty two minutes McInerney got his second and Gifford’s fifth from a free kick helped by an unfortunate and uncharacteristic error by Burgess, the ball going through his legs. McInerney nearly got his hat-trick but hit the upright. Gifford’s Cronin was dismissed on 75 and playing against ten men Patchway applied pressure and Hassan Hussain’s great effort forced Jefferies into a good save. And near the end a Matteo Pali effort was over the bar, and 5-1 to the visitors it remained.

A mid table affair at the Bell Field saw Little Stoke come away with the three points against Frampton United. Little Stoke had a great opportunity to open the scoring on eight minutes when Mike Hardiman was put through but his attempted lob over the keeper went narrowly wide. Frampton’s first effort came from a good break down the right by Harvey Cowley whose cross was met by Harvey Long who shot wide. Little Stoke continued to press and with half an hour gone Kieran Williams cross was headed goalwards by Jack Burgess, but Kaye in the Frampton Goal pulled off a great save. Little Stoke went in front right on the stroke of half time a free kick into the box ended up as an own goal. Cowley tried his luck on the hour with a long range effort which scraped the bar and a couple of minutes later the equaliser came when Jonno Willets outpaced the defence and crossed for Stuart Maule to add the finishing touch. Little Stoke scored the winner when a high ball was played in, and from the edge of the box Jaiden Holver turned and volley the dropping ball into the bottom corner for 2-1 to Little Stoke.

16th February 2023 - Electronic Programmes

Gala Wilton v Cheltenham Civil Service

Click on the image to view

11th February 2023 - Gala Wilton take points at Henbury

Mark Simpson


The merry go round continues at the top this week with Cribbs Reserves taking top spot after Bromley Heath United slip up for the first time this season at home to fellow challengers Rockleaze Rangers. Gala Wilton keep up a strong challenge.

We start with Gala Wiltons visit to bottom side Henbury where they came away with a seemingly straightforward 3-0 win. But it was Henbury who started brightly with two early chances, the first struck the bar and another was well saved by Todd Holder in the Gala goal. Further pressure by the hosts saw a twelfth-minute shot from Rhys Iles tipped over by Holder who was in action again to keep out a half volley by Chigo Ude. However the visitors settled and took the lead on 22 minutes when a free kick into the six yard box was headed home by Martin Smith. On 65 minutes the lead was doubled when Craig Howell slotted home and a few minutes later the points were wrapped up, but only following yet another good save from Holder from which Gala immediately broke down the left and substitute Ben Sluman converted to secure the three points.

To the lower end of the League at Tewkesbury Road where Cheltenham Civil Service took on Quedgeley Wanderers with both sides coming into this off the back of important wins adding a little extra spice. Service got off to a flying start when on two minutes Lewis Driscoll’s through ball found Brett Blake in the left channel who finished superbly with a well-placed lob over the on-rushing Charnock. The lead was doubled on 10 minutes, a long throw from Driscoll was half cleared to Jamie Lewis who drove in to the bottom corner. With the game at a quick pace Service had the upper hand although Sean Lawson was prominent for Wanderers. The visitors suffered further when Charnock had to be replaced in goal by Taylor. Further pressure by the hosts saw Carl Griffiths blaze wide when well placed. A third seemed inevitable and came just before the break when Griffiths broke down the right, squared to Blake who slotted in. Quedgeley were much improved at the re-start moving the ball quicker and seeing Howgate pull his shot from the edge wide. It was Service however who got their fourth when Lewis played through for Blake to complete his hattrick. The game became stretched with both keepers having to be alert. Quedgeley got a deserved goal when Ryan Hunt broke down the right his initial pass half cut out but fell to Lawson to finish well. Both sides were seeking more goals, Dorian Colling blazing over for Wanderers, Finch and Lewis stinging the hands of Taylor. Quedgeley had the final say in the last minute when another half clearance saw the ball played back in and Ollie Curtis diverted past Cheal for a final score of 4-2 to Service.

Hovering on the outside of the challengers a win was important for Sharpness in their local derby at Frampton United's Bell Field. Sharpness started brightly but it was Frampton with the first chance when Craig Mills laid the ball to Jonno Willets whose effort was easily saved by Truan Taylor. In the 12th minute a Sharpness free kick was headed back across the goal but Jordan Rouse headed into the hands of Tom Kaye. The Sharks gained a deserved lead after a low cross into the box eluded everyone to leave Rory Cawkwell to tap in at the back post. Kaye did well to tip a header from a Sharks corner over the bar. With Frampton pressing a Driver-Dickerson cross found Craig Mills who headed just over. Mills had another chance when he broke free but his shot skimmed the bar. Frampton equalised after a third consecutive corner when Dom Brown rose highest and sent a bullet header into the roof of the net. Truan Taylor preserved The Sharks point saving well at the feet of Harvey Cowley and right at the death thwarted Stuart Maule and 1-1 it ended.

To the Forest and to Ruardean Hill Rangers, one of these sides who usually spoil someone’s Saturday and this time it was struggling Patchway Town. The game was only three minutes old when Jones got Hill ahead after a ball across by Ollie Mason by not dealt with by the defence. Patchway’s Ollie Bacon almost caught Aaron Underwood out hitting the top of the crossbar. On six minutes Jones blocked an attempted Patchway clearance and after juggling with his head volleyed narrowly wide. After twelve minutes a one-two between Ollie Mason and Kane Samson saw Mason through on goal but he steered his shot wide. A few minutes later it was two, a glorious floated ball from Charlton evaded the defence and Alex Stephens steered past Sam Burgess. With Hill dominating another save by Burgess from Stephens who made his own room in the box. Three minutes before the break it should have been three but Jones struck wide after turning the defence. Early in the second half Patchway had a couple of chances, Harrison heading wide from a free kick and a great save by Underwood from his own player Kane Samson, tipped over. In between Hill’s Jones was through on goal but brought another good save by Burgess. On the hour Stephens drove wide when squaring back might have been more beneficial. On sixty seven Brandon Detain should have reduced the arrears but hit across Underwood and wide. The final twenty was scrappy and uneventful despite both teams trying to find a way through. 2-0 to Hill and like I said Patchway Town’s afternoon spoilt.

A mid-ish table affair at Hardwicke with Wick the visitors, the hosts perhaps needing the points more. Things started brightly with Wicks Joe Beardswell racing down the right whipping the ball in to Louie Millard whose header was just wide. The game became somewhat scrappy until the 35th minute when a fierce shot from Wick’s Seb Scott was well blocked by Nathan Barnett. Hardwicke’s Ben King received the ball and sped down the left and crossed to Taro Weston who fired over. A minute later Wick’s Will Osbourne’s twenty- yard free kick was well parried by Ollie Hall. A few minutes later another free kick this time from Liam Troke was again well saved by Hall. Wick took the lead on 55 minutes when Millard threaded the ball past the Hardwicke defenders and his shot was saved by Hall but the ball hit Millard’s knee and went in. On seventy five it was almost two when Joe Beardwell dribbled past two defenders but his shot was well blocked by Pat Vernall. Beardswell’s drive and persistence paid off with 10 minutes to go when his low hard shot flew past Hall for 2-0 to Wick.

With perfect conditions the Stoke Gifford Stadium the crowd were hoping for a great game of football with Stoke Gifford United and Cribbs Reserves doing well in the league. Both teams started well exchanging blows (not literally) with each other and both goalkeepers keeping their sides in it. Kieran Clayton was causing the Gifford defence problems with his endless running and pushing the defence deeper and deeper and host keeper Lewis Jefferies was needed at his best. After initial Cribbs pressure Gifford found their feet and both Kerem Karakus and Michael Barry caused problems and some superb goalkeeping by Harry Bridgeman kept things level. The second period started at a good tempo and the first big chance fell to Karakus who fired straight at Bridgeman from twelve yards. Cribbs first goal came on 54 minutes with a good counter-attack finished off by the ever- dangerous Keiran Clayton. Gifford pushed for an equaliser but were held back when Cribbs second came in a move similar to the first when a left- wing break was finished off by Liam Clayton on 62 minutes. The hosts rang the changes in an effort to find a way back in but quarter an hour from time the visitors wrapped up the points when James Clayton slotted in after poor defending. 3-0 sees Cribbs Reserves back to the top.

Arguably the game of the day to watch saw Bromley Heath United lose their unbeaten league run to fellow challengers Rockleaze Rangers. The first half was a cagey affair and chances were limited with both keepers only having to produce routine saves. The second half was very much more open with Bromley starting the stronger. After a good period of possession the lively Ben Ackerman was brought down on the edge of the box and Luke Bessell’s free kick rattled the bar. Two minutes later at the other end Sam Bailey saw his header go wide after the hosts defence switched off. Bromley’s turn to attack when the impressive Jack Withey had a great effort saved by Jordan Dunning only to hit the rebound wide. The action switched back to Bromley’s goal where Will Ferguson made a brilliant point blank save when a goal seemed certain. Chances were being created at both ends but it wasn’t until the seventy fifth minute that the deadlock was broken, substitute George James scoring with a looping header from an uncontested cross. With the hosts pressing to maintain their unbeaten run they were caught out at the back when James grabbed a second with a looping shot after Bromley had failed to clear. 2-0 to Rockleaze and Bromley fall to fourth – the top three on 32 points Bromley on thirty – all to play for.

10th February 2023 - Promotion and Relegation

Nigel Meaney

The following clubs have applied for promotion to Step 6 of the National League System for Seaaon 2023/4

  • Cribbs Reserves
  • Gala Wilton
  • Rockleaze Rangers
  • Sharpness
  • Wick

Two clubs will be relegated and replaced by the two successful applicants as determined by the GFA rules for promotion in the local football pyramid. This may involve playoff matches arranged by the GFA between applicants if necessary

Clubs applying to join the league for next season are as follows

Bristol Premier Combination
  • AEK Boco Reserves
  • Hanham Athletic
  • Olveston United
  • Totterdown United
Bristol and Suburban League
  • Avonmouth
  • Filton Athletic
Gloucestershire Northern Senior League
  • Berkeley Town
  • Brockworth Albion
  • Chalford
  • Dursley Town
  • Longlevens Reserves

4th February 2023 - Bromley Heath take over at top with win at Sharpness

Mark Simpson


When you think that at last you’ll get a full list of scheduled matches in guess what – one gets abandoned at half time. We have new leaders in Bromley Heath United as surprisingly Gala Wilton slipped up at home.

At Hamfields challengers Sharpness could have done with something out of the match against Bromley Heath United but it was the visitors who got off to a flying start and were 2-0 up in five minutes. The first followed a kick from keeper Will Ferguson flicked on by Sam Edwards into the path of Antonio Nurse who rounded home keeper Truan Taylor and tapped home. Soon after Aiden Noble’s cross was stuck in by Jack Withey. Sharpness livened up and were back in the game midway through the half when Brad Gibbs skipped round a defender and curled his shot in off the post. There was little goalmouth action in the second period but Bromley wrapped thing up with quarter of an hour to go when a free kick from Nathan Rose was met by Withey’s head guiding the ball to Edwards who slotted home. Alex Higgs nearly got one back for the Sharks but Ferguson tipped his header around the post and 3-1 to Bromley Heath and to the top of the league.

An image Gallery by Brian Rossiter is available Here

Another of the leading pack Rockleaze Rangers got their challenge back on track after some recent blips by thumping Hardwicke 5-0. The game started at a pace and Oliver Hall in the visitors goal saved well with his legs from a Dan Webb effort. Rockleaze gained the lead on 28 minutes when George James side footed home after fantastic work by Brandon Boomtan out wide. But it wasn’t all Rockleaze and debutant keeper Harry Trett tipped Will Higgins’ effort over on 32 and seven minutes later made a superb double save first from a Dowdeswell drive from outside the box then got up to save the follow up from George Norman. The second half started cagily Hardwicke not committing forward and the hosts happy to protect their slender lead. However a flashpoint came on 57 minutes when an off the ball incident saw Buckett of Rockleaze and Higgins of Hardwicke both dismissed. Rockleaze reacted by changing three players and on 70 minutes Fraser Butt lifted the ball to the back post for Jordan Dent to head nicely past Hall. Five minutes later Dent returned the favour finding Butt who drove home from eight yards for 3-0 and to effectively kill things off. Hardwicke tried to get back into the game but that man Trett was again up to the task keeping Luke Smith’s header out. Five minutes from time Dent should have made it four but Hall saved well. Dent wasn’t to be denied and added two more in injury time the first on +1 when he turned the centre half on the halfway line, ran through and slotted home after Hall had initially saved and three minutes later got his hattrick rolling the ball past Hall after good work from Ireland. 5-0 to the hosts and up to fourth.

Now to the struggle at the bottom and Henbury at Waterwells came unstuck for the second week running to fellow strugglers this time Quedgeley Wanderers. First chance fell to the visitors with Rhys Iles ninth minute effort. A few minutes later Sean Lawson was on target saved by Price. Shortly afterwards Wanderers gained the lead through Lawson. Henbury pressed and on 26 Fabian Periera shot just over and a few minutes later Nathan Charnock made two fantastic saves the first from Chigozie Jens Ude the second from Iles. But it was the hosts who scored a second on thirty- four minutes when Curtis scored following a corner. Quedgeley started the second half in lively fashion with shots first by Connor Webb dealt with by Price and Lawson striking the bar. Henbury reacted with shots by Jens Ude and Watkins. It was end to end and both keepers were busy and Charnock was outstanding with a double save to keep Henbury out. Henbury pulled themselves back into the mix when Will Baldwin slotted home on 75 minutes. But it wasn’t to last when just two minutes later Dorian Colling kept his cool and passed into the net with ten minutes to go.
There were a few more efforts, one from each side, but Wanderers held out for 3-1 and three valuable points.

After last weeks victory at Henbury, Patchway Town were hoping to make it two wins on the bounce but found Cheltenham Civil Service in an unobliging mood at Scott Park. Eight minutes in Matt Webb was caught in possession by Kerry Hale whose initial shot was saved by Sam Burgess but he made no mistake with the follow up and 1-0 to Service. On 32 minutes it was almost two when a scramble followed a corner, the ball fell to the feet of Bobby Greenwood and his point blank effort was saved by Burgess’s feet. However Chisom Obi did make it two on forty minutes with a mazy run into the box and slid his shot under the advancing Burgess. Patchway’s best effort was on 54 minutes when a good run down the left by Tate Shaw saw his cross punched away by Nathan Buckland under pressure from Joe Dalby the ball falling to Matteo Pali whose instinctive shot was just wide. On the hour Obi made another run into the Patchway box and shot, saved by Burgess, but the ball fell to Jamie Lewis with the goal at his mercy, he shot but was denied by a sliding Dave Pritchard. Patchway brought on Brandon Detain and his first touch was to volley just over. With the hosts pressing Service caught them on the break and Obi and Brett Blake were left with Burgess to beat Obi unselfishly squaring for Blake to make it 3-0.

A well organised away performance by Little Stoke led to them taking a deserved three points to shock second placed Gala Wilton. The game started on an even keel both sides evenly matched, but it was Little Stoke who struck first when Jack Burgess headed home a near post corner. The visitors dominated the first half and got a deserved second when the lively Jordan Yeo set up Mike Hardiman to stroke the ball past Holder in the Gala goal. Gala’s luck went from bad to worse on 43 minutes when Holder made an outstanding save from Hardiman only to collide heavily with the post. He soldiered on until the break but Gala were forced to make a change with midfielder Connor Harmer taking over between the sticks. The second period had few chances created by either side. Smith did have a good opportunity for Gala but Connolly Jarrett saved well. Little Stoke wrapped it up when Alex Hill won the ball in midfield and laid it to Yeo whose ferocious strike found the roof of the net and 3-0.

A mid table clash at the Hawthorns saw Frampton United disappointed not to take a point after having the majority of possession against Broadwell Amateurs. The young Frampton side pinned back the hosts early on with quick and impressive one touch football on a slick pitch. But it was Broadwell who struck first on the half hour with Dan Brain curling a high ball from a corner, headed back to him by Frampton’s Billy Curtis, and Brain’s return cross met full on by Watkins head for 1-0. The second half saw the visitors lift the pace with Craig Mills delivering a curling cross for Jono Willets to head just wide. The game started to get a bit physical with both sides guilty of some rather late challenges. On 56 minutes Frampton’s Jack Knight voiced his opinion on a challenge a little too forcefully which led to him getting 10 minutes to cool down. Despite being temporarily down to ten Frampton were making the hosts work extra hard and enjoyed long spells of possession but were unable to break a resolute defence. Keeper Jack Watkins made a great one handed save on seventy- five minutes Billy Curtis meeting a bouncing ball with a half volley. Five minutes later Watkins was on hand again to flick a free kick over. Despite long spells with the ball Frampton were unable to find the killer touch and left the Hawthorns pointless Broadwell hanging on for 1-0.

Wick v Stoke Gifford United at Oldbury Lane was abandoned at half time with the Referee feeling unwell and unable to take proceedings past half time. Hope you are making a good recovery.

3rd February 2023 - Electronic Programmes

Gala Wilton v Little Stoke

Click on the image to view

Patchway Town v Cheltenham Civil Service

Click on the image to view