News and Match Reports

13th May 2023 - Les James League Cup Final - Sponsored by Boca Teamwear

Jon Palmer


Broadwell Amateurs captain Jordan Locke recieves the Cup from League Chairman Peter Langley


Broadwell Amateurs Les James Cup Winners 2022/23

Captain Jordan Locke held his nerve to convert two second-half penalties as Broadwell Amateurs hit back from a goal down to defeat Sharpness and lift the Gloucestershire County League Les James Cup.

Sharpness finished four places above Broadwell in the County League table this season and they led through Callum Dummelow's strike in first-half stoppage time.

During a cagey opening period devoid of clear chances, Sharpness goalkeeper Truan Taylor made one outstanding save to deny Jamie Belfitt in the 27th minute.

Substitute Kieran Bennett hit the post for Sharpness in the 52nd minute as Josh Loveridge's side looked for a second.

But the tie, played in front of a healthy crowd at Henbury FC in north west Bristol, began to turn in the 61st minute when Dan Brain was fouled in the box and Locke stroked his penalty into the bottom right corner to make it 1-1.

Suddenly it was all Broadwell and Brain saw a shot spooned away by Taylor before Nathan Davies lifted his effort over the bar with only the goalkeeper to beat two minutes later.

Jack Watkins denied Dan Turner with a fingertip save at the other end and Broadwell took the lead in the 73rd minute when Ben Fishwick cleverly diverted Brain's corner from the left into the net.

Davies played Brain through on goal 10 minutes from the end and he was brought down by the advancing Taylor, who was shown a straight red card. Sharpness had already used all three of their substitutes, so long-serving outfield player Tom Paterson was forced to don the gloves.

The first thing Paterson had to do was face another Locke penalty and he was sent the wrong way as the Amateurs' skipper made it 3-1 in the 82nd minute.

Broadwell saw out the remaining eight minutes, plus an additional six minutes, to ensure they would be taking the silverware back to the Forest of Dean.

It was the start of a highly pleasing afternoon for their manager Chris Brain, who is a Notts County fan.

The Magpies defeated Chesterfield on penalties to win their National League play-off and a return to the EFL after a four-year absence.

Broadwell Amateurs: J Watkins, J Morton, K Skidmore, A Creighton, D Hudson, N Davies, J Locke (c), B Fishwick, E Wilkins, D Brain, J Belfitt. Subs: J Knight, M Foxwell, H Knight, T Blaby, B Schiller.

Sharpness: T Taylor, R Cawkwell, J Priday, C Dummelow, I Thurston, J Rouse, W Tainton, B Gibbins, D Turner, A Higgs, T Frankham (c). Subs: T Paterson, J Russell, K Bennett, W Lacey, J Higgs.

Referee: G McNulty. Assistants : S Thorne, A Boubrahmi. 4th Official : O Spender.

Published on Gloucestershire Live with additional Photos Here

6th May 2023 - Patchway Town's relegation confirmed

Mark Simpson


We’re nearly there, Champions decided, relegation decided. Firstly midweek highlights where Cribbs Reserves did the necessary to confirm themselves as champions at The Lawns against already relegated Henbury. The home side started quickly with Andy Forward heading against the Henbury upright in the opening 5 minutes. The champions elect did not have to wait long to open the scoring when two minutes later a corner from Dan Monk was flicked on by Harry Hambly for Liam Clayton to score from close range. It was 2-0 on eleven minutes when a Clayton cross from the left was turned into his own net by the unfortunate Keith Kearney. The third arrived on 34 when Monk’s free kick was headed down by Tom Burns for Hambly to score from close range. Cribbs completed the scoring on 55 minutes when Monk’s corner was partially cleared leaving Clayton to drive in from 8 yards. Let the celebrations begin. To the bottom there were wins for Patchway Town 2-1 home to Little Stoke and Quedgeley Wanderers 6-1 away to Wick – a game where Quedgeley far too easily opened up Wick’s casual defence, Rory and Ryan Hunt scoring one each and four for Ollie Curtis. Hardwicke beat Henbury 5-2, then lost to Sharpness 3-1, who also beat Ruardean Hill Rangers 2-1. Wick won away to Broadwell Amateurs 3-0 which oddly enough is where Quedgeley went on Saturday, more later! Cheltenham Civil Service were beaten at home by Bromley Heath United 2-0 and Rockleaze Rangers 3-2.

To Saturday and both Quedgeley and Patchway had to win to stay up with Quedgeley having points advantage. Quedgeley went to the Forest on the back of that 6-1 win away to Wick who a few days later had won up at Broadwell by 3-0. Guess what, on a cold damp day in front of 110 spectators at Broadwell Quedgeley lost 5-0, someone up there must have been looking down on them because Patchway also lost and Quedgeley are safe for another season.

To the Hawthorns and Broadwell Amateurs had good preparation for next weeks League Cup final with a victory over Quedgeley Wanderers. Quedgeley had the first effort, Ryan Hunt blasting over from 20 yards. Broadwell quickly adjusted to the slick surface and were in the lead 6 minutes in, Nathan Davies collected the ball out wide and his 30 yard effort deceived Nathan Charnock in the away goal and in it went. Charnock then pulled off a one-handed save to deny Dan Brain. Both sides played some excellent one touch football but it was Broadwell who increased their lead on 28 minutes, Ethan Wilkins collecting out wide from a Quedgeley counter, breezed past two defenders and slid the ball past Charnock. Quedgeley never gave up and had some decent possession for a twenty minute spell with James Stanbury missing a golden chance on the hour. However Broadwell took over and scored a further three goals sealing a convincing victory. Aiden Creighton scored from a header, 17 year old Jamie Belfitt from a 20 yarder and substitute Taylor Blaby finishing off a good move down the right flank, Ethan Wilkins providing the cross. Nice touch for the home crowd seeing club legend Steve Belfitt playing in the same match as his son Jamie and in a 5-0 win.

To the “other one” at Scott Park another good crowd of 105 saw Patchway Town vying with Frampton United to save their skins. Frampton were out of the blocks fastest and were ahead eight minutes in, Craig Mills climbing highest from a corner. It was nearly two on twelve minutes Jono Willets cross was inches away from Stuart Maules desperate dive. It was two on 35 minutes Dom Brown with a header from a free kick. Patchway were close ten minutes into the second half Joe Dalby hitting the post from Jacob Cox’s corner. They reduced the deficit on 67 minutes when Adam Porter struck a shot from outside the box into the top corner. Patchway tried their hardest for the remainder of the game but without any luck and Frampton always looked good on the break and held out for a 2-1 win. A sad day for Patchway as a founder member of the league, with relegation confirmed.

Little Stoke could well finish third in the league, and proving their worth at home to champions Cribbs Reserves. It was a brilliant well contested fast paced game won by Little Stoke 2-1. No hangover from Wednesday as Cribbs were in the lead on eight minutes when a shot came in which Connolly Jarrett could only parry leaving Liam Clayton a simple finish. Little Stoke picked themselves up and were level on 19 minutes when a diagonal cross-field ball from Moore found the head of Fox who found West to volley in from ten yards. Little Stoke were on top but Cribbs always looked dangerous on the break. Little Stoke took the lead ten minutes before the break, Jordan Yeo’s corner went to Bailey whose flicked header found Hardiman to head home. Cribbs almost found themselves level straight from the restart with some decent football the final shot just over. The home side went straight up the other end the ball ending up with Hardiman who turned his marker and shot agonisingly wide. On the hour it maybe should have been three, Moore missing a guilt edged chance from 8 yards. The game ebbed and flowed and it was Little Stokes turn to withstand some pressure and the visitor’s went close with Jarrett pulling off a full length dive to tip round the post. The final period was at great pace with no real chances created until Yeo fired in from 25 yards producing a good save. Arguably the best game of the season at Little Stoke Park and a 2-1 home win over champions Cribbs Reserves.

To Green Lane where Hardwicke needed a win over second placed Bromley Heath United to be mathematically safe from relegation. A frantic start saw Hardwicke’s Will Matthews put the ball in the net in the first couple of minutes only to be ruled out for a foul. They did take the lead on twelve minutes Brad Bevan was put through and slotted past Will Ferguson. The remainder of the half petered out but it was Bromley who equalised shortly after half time, Luke Bessell on the scoresheet. Around fifteen minutes later Bevan was on the end of a Birkett through ball and after an initial save by Ferguson Bevan got the ball over the line for 2-1 to Hardwicke. Pat Vernall saw red in an altercation leaving Hardwicke with ten but Ollie Hall made a number of vital saves to keep Bromley out leaving Hardwicke safe with a 2-1 win and no calculator necessary.

Finally to Oldbury Lane on an excellent pitch Wick entertained Cheltenham Civil Service, both teams spraying the ball around but unfortunately goalmouth action was at a premium. The first notable effort came on 35 minutes when Karim Rendall’s 30 yard shot agonisingly cleared the CCS bar. Five minutes later a 20 yard shot from captain Sam Roberts brought a great save from Cam Cheal. As the half neared it’s end Service had their best chance drawing an excellent save by Ashton Trott. The second half mirrored the first with Wick being wasteful in front of goal and Service looking to catch Wick on the break. Against the run of play it was Service who took the lead with quarter of an hour left when a deflected shot from Chisom Obi beat Trott. Wick pushed hard for the equaliser and on another day may have won the game but had to settle for Mikey Golding’s goal with minutes left and 1-1 it was.

7th May 2023 - Golden Glove 2022/23

Congratulations to Will Ferguson of Bromley Heath United who wins the Leagues inagural Golden Gloves award. Keeping 13 clean sheets in 28 league appearances this season, with 1 game to go.

Bromley Heath United keeper Will Ferguson being presented with the Trophy by League Chairman Peter Langley

6th May 2023 - Electronic Programmes

Patchway Town v Frampton United

Click on the image to view

5th May 2023 - Les James League Cup sponsored by Boca Teamwear

Please support Our Les James League Cup Sponsors - Boca Teamwear

4th May 2023 - Cribbs Reserves Champions 2022/23

Cribbs Reserves League Champions 2022-23

Cribbs Reserves Captain Tom Burns being presented with the Trophy by Rob Orchard of Marcliff

29th April 2023 - Cribbs Reserves on brink of Title

Mark Simpson


The midweek results in summary had a big influence for teams in the bottom four with wins for Patchway Town, in a huge six pointer against Henbury 2-1 which leaves Henbury with more than a mountain to climb, Quedgeley Wanderers 2-1 versus neighbours Frampton United in front of 102 spectators, and a massive 4-1 boost for Hardwicke up at Ruardean Hill Rangers, although they lost at Little Stoke 1-0 a few days later. Bromley Heath United kept in touch at the top with a 2-0 win over Little Stoke while third placed Rockleaze Rangers fell 3-1 at Broadwell Amateurs. In the remainder of the midweek games Sharpness beat Cheltenham Civil Service 3-2 at Hamfields whilst Service picked up a home point against Broadwell Amateurs and Stoke Gifford had a good win at Wick with McInerney and Probert on target in a game of few chances but Gifford were worthy winners.

To Saturday and it’s probably all over bar the shouting as Cribbs Reserves again came up with the goods at The Hawthorns against Broadwell Amateurs with a comfortable 6-0 win. Broadwell’s tough run of 7 games in 15 days finally caught up with them as they were beaten by the nearly crowned champions. Two goals in the first half from Ford and Coleman then another four in the second half from Ollie Dunleavy, Jack Guthrie, and a double from substitute Tom Headford was enough to inflict the home sides heaviest defeat of the season. One more point will do it for Cribbs but failing that Bromley Heath will have to pull back 45 goals to overcome goal difference deficit.

The mountain was too much and Henbury’s relegation was confirmed at Pomphrey Hill where BBromley Heath United’s very slender chance of becoming champions was kept alive with a 1-0 win. The first half was a dogged affair with both sides determined to break up play and any sort of possession. The home side created a good chance on 20 minutes with Aiden Noble playing a one-two with the crossbar adjusting his feet well to hammer the rebound into the net for the only goal of the game. The next fifteen minutes saw Bromley create more chances but Chlopecki kept Henbury in touch with a fine save from Noble following a piercing run by full back Fenn Willoughby, and another from a Ollie Hanham effort. The second half saw both sides trying for the all important second goal of the game but it wasn’t to be after a succession of injuries disrupted any flow.Henbury had their best chance to equalise on the hour when Danny Seymour shot narrowly wide and Cam Ford for Bromley five minutes later saw his shot go the wrong side of the post. A narrow 1-0 victory to keep Bromley’s more realistic chance of league runners up spot alive.

Quedgeley Wanderers recent up surge in form came to an abrupt end at Waterwells where Little Stoke moved up to fourth spot with a comprehensive 5-1 victory. The first chance of the match came to Quedgeley’s Rory Hunt well saved by Jarrett Connolly. This was followed by a number of chances by Little Stoke – header over the bar, just past the post, a save by Nathan Charnock, until they eventually found the back of the net from Ethan Tucker’s 28th minute effort. This was followed quickly when Aaron West made it 2-0 two minutes later. A penalty shout for Quedgeley was turned away but Ollie Curtis found the net on 41 minutes to reduce the deficit. Little Stoke came out strongly for the second period and increased their lead with another from Tucker. A few minutes later the ball flashed across the Quedgeley goal and Charnock cleared well. It was 4-1 on the hour when Aaron West finished from just inside the box. A few minutes later Ryan Hunt’s shot for the hosts was well blocked. The final goal came 15 minutes from time with Luke Meacham heading in at the far post. A 5-1 win for Little Stoke and still plenty to do for Quedgeley.

Ruardean Hill Rangers recent indifferent form took a turn for the better with a 3-0 home win over Stoke Gifford United. The game was only five minutes in when Alex Stephens made a great run from halfway beating three defenders before slotting past Lewis Jefferies to put Hill in front. A further Hill chance came when Charley Mason’s free kick found Fin Jones but his header went straight to Jefferies. Stoke Gifford’s Karem Karakus’s free kick from just outside the box was expertly saved by Bowles. Gifford’s Paul Cronin made a great run and squared across goal but somehow Jayden Crosbie hits wide from 6 yards. On 40 minutes Crosbie made a great run which sees a combination of Bowles in the home goal and Horsfall get the tackle in for a corner. Just before the break Karakus twisted and turned in the Hill box before dragging his shot wide, and after good link up play Hill’s Jones tried a left footed curler just wide. On 52 Jones made it two–nil closing a defender down and making the tackle to slot past Jefferies who was way off his line. Gifford pressed well for the next twenty minutes but the hosts held firm. Five minutes from time Hill made it three, a long ranger from Josh Sladen which Jefferies made a hash of.

To a mid-table clash at The Bell Field where Frampton United met Wick. The opening chance fell to Wick’s Mickey Golding but his shot was comfortably dealt with by Kaye, up the other end Manolo Espada went close but his shot was high. Frampton opened the scoring on 23 minutes when a free kick played into the box was controlled by Will Hawes on his chest and he turned and shot which was parried by Ashton Trott and Tom Mangan followed up to head home. Hawes tried to catch Trott out from 40 yards but his effort landed on the roof of the net. Frampton thought they had a second but was ruled out for offside. On 38 Joe Beardswell had a shot from the edge but it failed to trouble the Frampton goal. Frampton made it two just before half time when Espada crossed for Hawes to tap in. Wick continued to press and from a free kick Liam Towler’s header went just wide. On the hour Wick pulled one back when from a free kick Beardswell slotted the ball in. Wick had a great chance to square things up when they were awarded a penalty but Tom Kaye saved Beardswell’s effort, and they had the final chance when the bounce from a long ball was misjudged but Lewis Wade’s lob went just high and it remained 2-1 to Frampton.

Finally, very little to write home about at Fairmile Gardens where Patchway Town came away with a creditable 0-0 draw against Gala Wilton. The point sees Patchway reduce the gap to Quedgeley to two points with two to play.

28th April 2023 - Electronic Programmes

Gala Wilton v Patchway Town

Click on the image to view

22nd April 2023 - Cribbs Reserves with statement win

Mark Simpson


Midweek, to summarise, brought some interesting results in this particularly difficult catch up period for clubs. The biggest surprise coming at Waterwells where Quedgeley Wanderers shocked Cribbs Reserves with a last minute goal for a 2-1 win to put six points between them and the bottom two. Henbury did little to help their cause falling 2-4 at home to Stoke Gifford United. Little Stoke continued their steady climb up the table with 2-1 and 3-2 victories over Broadwell Amateurs and high flying Bromley Heath United. Broadwell Amateurs also fell to Cheltenham Civil Service whilst Gala Wilton impressed away to Sharpness with a 5-2 win and finally Frampton United drew with Rockleaze Rangers.

To Saturday and someone had to pay for Cribbs Reserves losing at Quedgeley and the unfortunates were Cheltenham Civil Service on their visit to The Lawns. Service started brightly enough and were awarded a penalty in the fourth minute when goalkeeper Goradz Gigov was adjudged to have fouled an onrushing forward but he atoned and saved Jamie Lewis’s spot kick. After this early let off Cribbs grew into the game and a quick fire double from Keiran Clayton on 13 and 22 minutes and they never looked back. The lead was extended on 32 minutes when top scorer Jack Guthrie finished off a well worked move albeit with a slight deflection. An excellent first half for the league leaders was capped with a fourth goal on the stroke of half time after Guthrie won a free kick on the edge of the box and Dan Monk lifted the kick over the wall and beyond Service keeper Brett Pittaway. After weathering a spell of Service pressure at the start of the second half a fifth arrived for Cribbs on 65 minutes when captain Ollie Dunleavy drove the ball into the top corner giving Pittaway no chance. It was now a procession with Guthrie on 67, Tom Headford the seventh on 70, and Andy Forward the eighth on 73. Guthrie got his hat trick on 80 before Forward completed the scoring in time added on heading in a corner from Monk for a 10-0 win.

To the bottom and Henbury played a game of the proverbial two halves against Wick at Arnall Drive. Henbury dominated the first half and took a two goal lead from Cam Tarr and Rhys Iles, and but for some fine goalkeeping from Ashton Trott who twice denied Fabian Pereira and a disallowed goal by George Osbourne the score could possibly been out of Wick’s reach. However, Wick controlled the second half and a quick fire hat trick from Joe Beardwell midway through turned things around. With a rare foray forward Henbury expected a spot kick for a foul but it was not given and that was that, 3-2 to Wick.

To bottom but one and Patchway Town’s short trip to Little Stoke Park. The hosts as started brightly and could have been in front on 9 minutes when a thirty yard free kick from Lewis Hughes crashed against the post. The game, however, changed on twenty minutes when Patchway stunned Little Stoke with two goals in 2 minutes. Firstly a defence splitting pass found Adam Porter who finished the one on one and nearly straight after a cross from the right found Brandon Detain who converted from close range. Little Stoke lost their way a little with Patchway on top for a spell until shortly before half time Little Stoke’s Harvey Sealey won possession and pulled the ball back for to Aaron West whose shot was blocked but Sealey was on hand to finish. Patchway added a third almost immediately after the restart when Joe Dalby’s spectacular 25 yarder found the top corner. Little Stoke played their way back in and were rewarded on sixty five when the Referee pointed to the spot for an infringement and Lewis Hughes converted. Patchway put the game to bed on 75 when a cross field ball found Dolby who finished well from the left hand side of the box and they stood firm for a valuable 4-2 victory.

Rockleaze Rangers continue to push for a top three finish and were 2-1 victors at the notoriously difficult Ruardean Recreation Ground to face Ruardean Hill Rangers. Rockleaze started brightly and Dan Webb’s eighth minute shot from 30 yards but was easily dealt with by Underwood, who was on hand a few minutes later to tip Sam Bailey’s shot onto the post and then claim the rebound. Hill came back into things after 28 when Ollie Mason’s 20 yard free kick was straight at Hoskins in the away goal and just after, Rockleaze failed to clear a corner and Max Telling hit wide. Underwood saved Hill twice towards the end of the half, first Brandon Boontam’s long range effort was tipped wide and then a great save with his feet from Pete Ireland. Hill came more into things at the start of the second period and Telling’s twenty yard shot gave Hoskins some work to do. Hill took the lead on the hour when an Ollie Mason free kick hit the post and Hoskins spilled over his own line. Five minutes later Mason went on a great run beating two defenders but shot just wide. On seventy came the equaliser when Josh Groteke arrived at the back post to volley past Underwood from a deep ball by Auden Hall. Ten from time Telling tried an overhead bicycle kick which was just wide. And with five minutes remaining Mike Perham at the back post received another deep ball and volleyed past Underwood for 2-1 to Rockleaze.

An interesting one at Hamfields was the dress rehearsal for the Les James league Cup Final between Sharpness and Broadwell Amateurs. Both sides started brightly and Broadwell were first to create an opening Liam Thomas stinging Truan Taylor’s hands from outside the box. The Sharks created a few opportunities of their own but neither Higgs or Frankham could aim their efforts on target. A big talking point came when Dan Brain was released behind the Sharks back line, beat Taylor to the ball, lifted the ball over the keeper and then was fouled by him, to Broadwell’s disbelief it was only a yellow and Brain’s free kick was comfortably dealt with. Ten minutes before the break Sharpness led, the ball played out wide to Tainton whose low cross towards the back post was met by Higgs for 1-0. Sharpness took only eight minutes into the second period to double their advantage, Priday’s deep free kick found Frankham out wide and a looping cross found Dummelow to nod home. A lot of the play was in the middle of the park but Sharpness did break and found Harper-Emerson who beat the full back and whose low cross was deflected by a defender and Thomas reacted quickest for 3-0. Broadwell tried to come back into things but their best effort was a long range effort from Locke which Taylor put behind for a corner and 3-0 to Sharpness it remained.

Bromley Heath United got back to winning ways at home to Hardwicke. The first half of this game had little in the way of goalmouth action, with both teams cancelling out the other all over the pitch. Bromley in particular found it difficult to get into any sort of rhythm, not helped by having to make two substitutions because of injury within the first 15 minutes. It wasn't until the 12th minute of the second half that Bromley had the best chance of the game thus far to go ahead. A cross field ball by the inform Aiden Noble was picked up just outside the box by substitute Cam Hopkins who cleverly went past the fullback and calmly side footed the ball into the net past the advancing keeper. Bromley continued to look for a second and it came on 75 minutes when a very dangerous free kick was fired into Hardwicke's six yard box to be headed into the net by an unfortunate Hardwicke defender. Aiden Noble broke free for Bromley 5 minutes later but couldn't make it 3 when he saw his shot go agonisingly just wide.

At Fairmile Gardens Gala Wilton and Frampton United fought out a 1-1 draw with Ben Sluman for Gala on target and Jono Willets for the visitors.

21st April 2023 - Electronic Programmes

Gala Wilton v Frampton United

Click on the image to view

15th April 2023 - Quedgeley Wanderers gain vital win

Mark Simpson


A re-cap of a busy midweek starting on Monday where Cribbs Reserves picked up a huge win at a very windy Pomphrey Hill against title rivals Bromley Heath United. A tight affair with the conditions making good football difficult it was Tom Burns and Tom Headford who scored second half goals for a 2-0 win. Patchway picked up a useful point at Broadwell, whilst Henbury and Hardwicke battled out a 2-2 draw at Arnall Drive. Cheltenham Civil Service continued good form with a 1-0 home win over Wick and Ruardean Hill and Sharpness drew 1-1. To Wednesday and Hardwicke picked up another useful point at home to Frampton while Rockleaze and Ruardean Hill picked up 2-1 victories away at Gala Wilton and Cheltenham Civil Service respectively.

To Saturday and leaders Cribbs Reserves picked up a vital three points with a hard fought 1-0 victory over a battling Patchway Town whose performance belied their lowly status in the league. The only goal of the game came in the 51st minute when Tom Burns met an in-swinging corner from Aaron Coleman to head powerfully past the impressive Sam Burgess in the visitor’s goal.

After gaining a good midweek win challengers Rockleaze Rangers slipped up again this time at Little Stoke. The hosts started quickly with Luke Meacham forcing a good save by Jordan Dunning. Meacham wasn’t to be denied when after only 8 minutes Jordan Yeo’s cross found Mike Hardiman whose shot was well blocked only for Meacham to be first to the rebound swivelling to fire a low shot in. Rockleaze countered and when a mis-hit shot found George James his effort was scrambled off the line by Jack Burgess. Little Stoke continued to dominate the first half but could not convert any further chances. It was a different story in the second period with the visitor’s dominating possession but Little Stoke kept their shape very well to deny Rockleaze any decent openings. Both teams were reduced to ten two minutes from time and Little Stoke took a well contested encounter 1-0.

Quedgeley Wanderers did their hopes of escaping the drop a power of good with three points at home to Stoke Gifford United. A very even start with a couple of early chances with Quedgeley’s Ryan Hunt’s cross drifting wide and James Stanbury’s shot drifted wide. A brilliant 20th minute shot from Rory Hunt found Gifford’s keeper Lewis Jefferies on form. Four minutes later the hosts took the lead when Rory Hunt found Ollie Curtis whose shot was saved but Ryan Hunt picked the rebound up rounded a defender and finished at the near post. Chances for the remainder of the half were limited to long range the best of which from Gifford’s Marcus Thatcher blazing over from just inside the box. First chance of the second period saw Gifford’s Rudy Hill rattle the Quedgeley bar and on 55 minutes the equaliser came when Spike Weaver slotted past Nathan Charnock. Opportunities for both sides to score came and went, Marcus Thatcher’s free kick across the home box went begging, on the hour Kory Taylor put a ball over the top for Quedgeley but Ollie Curtis was held back and a great long ball by Charnock found Ryan Hunt but Jefferies was quick to react. Connor Webb’s 71st minute free kick was flicked goal-bound by Curtis but Jefferies was on hand again. Quedgeley took an 84th minute lead when Rory Hunt beat three defenders and fired past Jefferies. Callum McLean made a crucial block to prevent an equaliser and Jefferies saved Webb’s 20-yard free kick, and it was Quedgeley’s win by 2-1.

Near the top an injury hit Bromley Heath United had pressure on to maintain their challenge at the top against a Cheltenham Civil Service who are in reasonably good form. The first chance fell to Service’s Declan Chick with an unstoppable looping shot which rattled the crossbar. Five minutes on Bromley were in the lead with a well worked goal hammered in by Aiden Noble. Bromley continued to have the edge and were rewarded on 32 minutes when Trai Elliston-Sackett headed in from close range to round off another good passage of play. Service started the second half determined to get back into the game and were rewarded ten minutes in when Jamie Lewis scored with a tremendous 20-yard strike. Service had the lions share of possession but couldn’t find the equaliser. Bromley defended their lead well and at times looked dangerous going forward. The game was settled right at the end when the pace of Aiden Noble caught Service cold and he was brought down in the box and Nathan Rose converted for 3-1 to Bromley.

At the Bell Field Frampton United overcame a spirited Henbury side who looked far from a bottom of the table side. The first goal came on 16 minutes from a great passage of play starting from keeper Kaye to full back Joe Davis who found Jono Willets who beat a defender and played to Driver-Dickerson whose back post cross found George Blythe who headed back across leaving Tom Mangan a free header for 1-0. Five minutes later Henbury’s Sean Heal had a shot deflected wide, whilst Frampton’s Harvey Cowley’s long range effort just cleared the bar. In the 40th minute Henbury’s Russ Stone had keeper Kaye scrambling but his effort was just wide. Just after the break Henbury’s Jack Mills free kick went straight into the wall then his effort from the rebound went just wide. Frampton’s second goal came on sixty-five minutes Cowley played a one-two and Harvey Long side footed into the top corner. Henbury did get back into the game on 78 after a quick break and Rhys Iles fired past Kaye, but Frampton held on for 2-1.

A mid table affair at Wick against Ruardean Hill Rangers was for the best part largely unentertaining and surprise - there were no goals. Wick came out quickest and an early chance was blasted over without troubling Aaron Underwood. Minutes later a second chance ended up in the side netting even after Underwood had been rounded. Ruardean’s first effort was wide of the mark after Wick failed to clear. Midway through the half Joe Beardwell struck a great shot from 20 yards but Underwood saved well. Wick enjoyed the majority of possession and Hill were limited to the odd break but failed to trouble Ashton Trott. As the half wound down Osbourne set Beardwell free but there was no way past the impressive Underwood. Wick started the second half brightly but didn’t really trouble Underwood, and with only one up front Hill parked the proverbial bus. Underwood made a brilliant double save 15 minutes from the end and Wick’s Millard shot wide from close in. Wick failed to breach Ruardean’s resolute defence and 0-0 it ended up.

Hardwicke were looking to move further away from the bottom three after a good recent run and were up against Sharpness. The game started slowly but Sharpness grabbed it by the scruff of the neck to take control and took the lead when Kieran Bennett crossed for Jordan Rouse to powerfully head past a stranded Ollie Hall. The Sharks continued to press and a Bennett cross flew wide. And on the half hour a low strong shot from Brad Hewer was saved by Hall’s feet. Hardwicke started the second period with a bit more confidence and could have equalised 10 minutes in when Harry Furniss’s drive had Truan Taylor beaten but was just over. A few minutes on and the equaliser came as Jordan Dowdeswell’s 30 yard free kick flew into the top right corner. Dowdeswell was unlucky a few minutes later with another free kick narrowly over. Hardwicke now in control went in front on 65 minutes when Taro Weston found Harry Furniss who jinked through the defence beat Taylor and cooly tapped in. It was almost three when Dowdeswell’s cross was met by Rudy Kyfin whose strong header was pushed over by Taylor. A valuable three points for Hardwicke 2-1 and impressive debuts for Rudy Kyfin and Shamar Thomas both 16-year-old products of the youth section.

To the Forest, at the Hawthorns, where Broadwell Amateurs and Gala Wilton shared the points on a warm sunny afternoon in a game of the proverbial two halves. The first half definitely belonged to Gala who were quicker out of the blocks and ran into a two goal lead with both from Martin Smith. If it wasn’t for a sound display by Jack Watkins in the home goal and some wasteful finishing by Gala it would have been more. The second half was a different story with Broadwell immediately upping their game and five minutes in Ethan Wilkins was in the clear and slotted home. Five minutes later Wilkins became provider and found Dan Brain in the box who twisted and turned and poked home through a defenders legs for 2-2. With Broadwell now on top it came as a surprise when Gala re-took the lead against the run of play through Dan McNally’s free header from a corner. With Gala looking like they may hold on to the three points a long ball over the top by Aidan Creighton put Ethan Wilkins clean through and he kept his cool to make it 3-3 and probably a fair reflection of the game.

13th April 2023 - Electronic Programmes

Broadwell Amateurs v Gala Wilton

Click on the image to view

8th April 2023 - Hardwicke leave Patchway Town in trouble

Mark Simpson


In summary the midweek fixtures on Tuesday and Wednesday were significant for Cribbs Reserves who comfortably beat Henbury at Arnall Drive by 3-0 and for Hardwicke near the bottom who fell to a 3-1 defeat at Cheltenham Civil Service. Gala Wilton’s poor run of results continued with a 3-0 home defeat by Broadwell Amateurs. There were wins for Little Stoke who are climbing up the league at a fair rate 2-0 v Sharpness and Frampton United impressively 3-0 away to Ruardean Hill Rangers.

To Saturday some intriguing games and results. Probably the most important was the six pointer at Patchway Town who came unstuck against Hardwicke and for Bromley Heath United who gained an important 1-0 win at Broadwell taking some ground from Cribbs Reserves who were not in action.

To Scott Park where Patchway Town and Hardwicke both desperately needed the points. On 6 minutes Patchway took the lead when good work down the left by Joe Weare who crossed for Zeneldi who in turn found Joe Dalby to fire into the roof of the net. Unfortunately that was as good as it got for Patchway as Hardwicke took over. On fourteen minutes the visitors equalised when Adam Mace rode four challenges to shoot into the bottom corner. Five minutes on it was 2-1, a speculative shot from Brad Bevan was unfortunately spilled by keeper Steve Higgins and in it went. A minute before the break Hardwicke scored again with Brad Bevan put through and lobbed the advancing Higgins. On 75 minutes Fred Humphries made it four from a corner his initial header saved but he tucked in the rebound. Three points for Hardwicke pushing them towards safety with a 4-1 win.

Patchway certainly weren’t helped by Frampton United who fell 2-1 at the Bell Field to Quedgeley Wanderers. Frampton started this local derby the brighter and had a couple of good chances in the first five minutes with Harvey Cowley shooting wide and with a bad kick by Nathan Charnock in the away goal that went straight to Cowley who dragged his shot wide. Quedgeley’s first chance came after half an hour with Sean Lawson’s header just over. Frampton continued pressing and Charnock’s good save denied Craig Mills. But it was the visitors however who took the lead, when from a Conner Webb free kick which home keeper Kaye failed to deal with effectively and Lawson reacted first to slot home. Just after the restart a George Driver Dickerson cross was met by Cowley and Charnock saved well and up the other end Ryan Hunt was unlucky his shot coming off the post. Frampton did equalise, Jono Willets running through the defence to score, but barely a minute later the visitors were back in front from the spot after a Driver Dickerson foul and Oliver Curtis dispatching the kick. Frampton had a couple of late chances Fin Blythe’s free kick not troubling Charnock but he did save well from Willets snap shot to ensure a valuable three points for Quedgeley who come out of the bottom two.

Towards the top and it would appear that Bromley Heath United are probably the best placed challenger to overhaul Cribbs Reserves with a vital win at The Hawthorns versus Broadwell Amateurs. Broadwell had to dig deep for their side today and Bromley’s strong forwards caused problems all afternoon with their air dominance. After just thirteen minutes the only goal of the afternoon came when a cross field pass into the goalmouth saw Olly Hanham rise above the home defence to head across to the unmarked Sam Edwards who clinically headed home. Broadwell’s first effort came on 17 with Ben Fishwick shooting wide. On the half hour it looked like it was going to be two nil with Aidan Noble latching onto a long ball over but in came the saving tackle by skipper Jordan Locke. Broadwell pushed hard for the final 10 minutes of the half but couldn’t break a resolute defence. The second period saw Bromley have a series of corners and throw ins with numerous chances including Trai Sackett’s blast over from ten yards. Ethan Wilkin’s did have a jinxing run through but didn’t trouble Will Ferguson and Bromley came away with a well deserved victory if narrow 1-0 victory.

Gala Wilton ended their dreadful recent run at Fairmile Gardens against the awkward Ruardean Hill Rangers side. Gala looking to end their poor run had the ball in the net after four minutes but it was adjudged offside. Their fast start was rewarded on eight minutes when a good free kick from Connor Walters was met by Martin Smith who headed back across goal for Keiron Mace to tap in. Gala continued to press and Smith had a header just over. It was Smith again in the 22nd minute following good work down the right by Sluman but the volley went just over. Gala made it two on 38 minutes Walters was tugged back in the area and Craig Howell stepped up to smash the ball past Aaron Underwood. The second half was not very impressive with neither side producing any quality moments on goal and Gala seeing out a 2-0 win with a hardworking display.

Once again Rockleaze Rangers conceded at the death to lose points, this time at Wick, which seems to be a problem that has seriously dented their chances at the top, but they do remain in the top five for the time being. A good crowd of 95 saw a lively start both sides playing quick moving end to end football, however it took 20 minutes for the first real chance when Wick’s Joe Beardwell’s downward header brought a good save from Harry Trett. Wick opened the scoring three minutes later Scott Hatcher finding the net after Rockleaze failed to clear their lines. The lead should have been doubled on the half hour Beardwell heading wide with the net begging. Trett saved well five minutes later following Beardwell’s bursting run through the middle, and the crossbar rescued Rockleaze when Sam Robert’s shot cannoned off the underside, but the visitors quickly cleared up field forcing a corner from which Jenson Beard’s bullet header levelled the score. At the restart Wick continued to look dangerous down the flanks and shots found the side netting and Trett Again saving well this time from Seb Scott. Ashton Trott was once again on form for Wick saving a great downward header. The game continued end to end in an entertaining fashion and on 75 Trett acrobatically tipped over and minutes later Trott saved well with his feet. The last ten minutes had both sides pushing for a winner and two minutes from time Dan Webb was put through following a quick throw in but his shot flashed wide of Wick’s goal, and a minute later another Rockleaze effort flew just past the Wick goal. However it was Wick’s Liam Towler who delivered a great ranging pass to release his winger who delivered a great ball in for Jacob Saunders to strike home the winner for a 2-1 win.
A Gallery by Matt Davis is available Here

Finally to Hamfields where Little Stoke who, a few days earlier, saw off Sharpness to continue their impressive recent form crashed 4-0 to the Sharks. The hosts started brightly and went ahead 15 minutes in when Will Lacey latched onto keeper Truan Taylor’s kick and stroked the ball into the net. One soon became two when a free kick wasn’t cleared from the danger zone and James Litten punted the ball into the far corner. Little Stoke had their moments but were reduced to strikes from distance which didn’t really trouble Taylor. Sharks increased their lead five minutes from the break when Marley Thomas blocked the keeper Blake Dutton’s clearance and with good composure rounded him and slotted home for 3-0. Little Stoke came out with renewed vigour in the second half and both Luke Meacham and Mike Hardiman had opportunities to reduce the arrears but couldn’t find the finishing touch. There were few chances in this half but Sharpness did add a fourth twenty minutes from time when a free kick out wide from Thomas went over to the back post and Callum Dummelow was there to smartly finish at full stretch with the outside of his boot. Sharpness nearly added a fifth near the end but Will Tainton hit his shot straight to the keeper. 4-0 to Sharpness.

8th April 2023 - Electronic Programmes

Patchway Town v Hardwicke

Click on the image to view

1st April 2023 - Bromley Heath United with another late win

Mark Simpson


A weather disrupted weekend with two of the top sides competing and none of the bottom four in action. Bromley Heath United kept up their challenge at the top whilst Gala Wilton fell to their third consecutive defeat which has severely dented their hopes.

Starting in midweek, last Wednesday at Waterwells saw Quedgeley Wanderers fall to another defeat this time to Sharpness. The Sharks stormed out of the blocks and stunned Quedgeley who were two down in ten. Two early chances were followed by Tom Frankham finding the net from Callum Dummelow’s cross in the 6th minute. Four minutes later the lead was doubled, Marley Thomas scoring from Dan Turners cross. The hosts settled a little and Rory Hunt was wide but back came Sharpness and Dan Turner’s shot was brilliantly tipped over by Nathan Charnock. The Sharks third came in the 18th minute Dummelow on the scoresheet from a corner. A chance for Quedgeley and Luke Holder shot straight at Jamie Gough. Charnock had another big save for Quedgeley. Early in the second period Quedgeley missed a chance to score from the spot Gough saving Hunt’s attempt. Sharpness quickly countered and Charnock saved well from Turner. Quedgeley kept their spirit up and Harry Reynolds 52nd minute effort from range was deflected narrowly wide and Christian Cooke had a good chance in the 69th minute. It was finally all over fifteen minutes from time when Callum McLean unfortunately found his own net for Sharpness’s fourth. There were a few more chances for both teams but 4-0 it ended for the Sharks.

To Saturday and Gala Wilton’s form has changed beyond recognition with Wick claiming all three points from a clinical performance. Wick pounced on 25 minutes when a deep cross at the back post was poked home by Hatcher. Gala responded five minutes later Martin Smith heading home Connor Walters delivery. The second period was a fairly even affair with essentially two chances each and Wick were clinical Gala weren’t. Gala’s Ben Sluman crossed for centre back Kieron Mace to head agonisingly wide but it was Joe Beardswell who beat the offside trap to slot past Holder to give Wick the lead. And again it was Beardswell with a similar finish to wrap the points up for Wick. Gala continued to press and Smith found space in the box only to be denied by a superb save from Ashton Trott to keep the scoreline 3-1 to Wick.
An album by Matt Davis of Wick is Here

Finally to the Bell Field where the tables were turned on Frampton United after last weeks last gasp win as Bromley Heath United took the three points with their last minute winner. Frampton had the first real chance of the game in the 15th minute when Jono Willets ran onto a good cross field ball from Craig Mills but unfortunately couldn’t get it under control and it fell to Manolo Espada but his shot didn’t trouble Ferguson. The first twenty minutes was fairly even with better chances being created by Bromley whose best effort came when a wayward pass from Frampton’s Joe Davies was picked up and dragged wide. Frampton opened their account in the 31st minute when from Fin Blythe’s corner Craig Mills rose highest at the back post to head home. Aiden Noble had a good chance for the equaliser but his glancing header was just wide. Bromley did level on 40 minutes when an Antonio Nurse cross from the left was met by Cam Ford to head past Tom Kaye. The second half was a scrappy affair with neither side creating any clear cut chances until in the 70th minute when a good delivery by Blythe found Espada who slid in but couldn’t quite connect properly. Both teams continued to press and neither side could find a finish until the dying seconds when a good strike came in from the right which Kaye could only parry and the ball dropped to Noble to tap in for a Bromley Heath winner and 2-1.