News and Match Reports

31st August 2023 - Electronic Programmes

Almondsbury v Ruardean Hill Rangers

Click on the image to view (External Site)

Little Stoke v Gala Wilton

Click on the image to view

27th August 2023 - Quedgeley Wanderers take the points at Gala Wilton

Mark Simpson


A full list for the first time this season with some rather strange results, perhaps we ought to wait a while before suggesting any pattern for the season.

Starting at Fairmile Gardens, where Gala Wilton entertained Quedgeley Wanderers whose form is becoming more difficult to predict at any time. The opening half was a tight affair with no clear cut chances for either side, Curtis Wilkins making a good save from a Quedgeley header but mainly combative challenges in midfield dominating. So, no surprise when Dylan Barrett picked up a second yellow leaving Gala with ten men 10 minutes from the break. Quedgeley started the second half strongly and deservedly were in front five minutes in with Sean Lawson’s strike into the top corner. Gala’s ten men responded well and equalised through sub Dillano Pennant on 73 minutes. After that Gala looked the more likely to score with Tim Hill hitting the bar and Nathan Charnock making some good saves in the visitors goal. However, it was Rob Spencer who slotted into the bottom corner to give Quedgeley a last minute goal and a 2-1 win.

A good size crowd were at Wick to see them take on Bromley Heath United, with both teams looking to play quick passing football on a good surface. It was 20 minutes before the first real chance with Wick’s Billy Richards firing across the Bromley goal just evading a finishing boot. The hosts had several chances around the half hour with a header wide, a shot blazed over and Mikey Golding coming close. But it was Bromley who scored first, Wick failing to deal with a cross ball and Aidan Noble on hand to fire past Ashton Trott. A minute later it was almost two but the shot was wide. Four minutes into the second half and Will Ferguson pulled off a smart save to deny Wick, and again on 57 he was on hand to stop Jack Creaney who was through one on one. Wick levelled on 75 when Will Osbourne fired a free kick from outside the box into the top corner. Wick continued to apply pressure but it was Bromley who thought they had taken the lead on 82 only to be denied for offside. As the game entered the final seconds Bromley could have stolen all three points but a point blank save from Trott ensured it ended at 1-1.
A Gallery by Matt Davies is available Here

Certainly on goalscoring form Rockleaze Rangers took on Cheltenham Civil Service who are off the back of two very close games. But,another fast start and the hosts could have been two up in the first two minutes but took three to actually score with Webb’s superb 15 yard volley after good work by Williams and Beard. On 11 minutes the same top corner was found this time a fantastic whipped effort from Boontam over the despairing dive of Harvey Need in the Cheltenham goal. A shell shocked Service could not get their passing game going and on 21 it became even more of a task, with Webb hauled down in the area and George James stepped up to roll the ball into the corner from the spot. Tate Shaw got in on the act after Webb spread the ball wide, Shaw hitting it first time deceiving Need on the near post. A good save from Need prevented Golding getting in on the act but on 39 minutes it became five after Webb intercepted a ball from Need to Whelan and played in Shaw to tap in for five. The second half again started at a fast pace and on 58 minutes Jenson Beard made it six after a good save by Need from Webb, but the ball fell to Beard to fire in. On 65 debutant Kockaya struck passed Need after James had found Fraser Butt who squared across. Eight came on 80 when Henry Jones fired into the far corner after being played in by Sawdon. The scoring was completed two minutes from time when the unfortunate Pete Guite played a back pass which wrong footed Need and rolled agonisingly into the net for 9-0.

Avonmouth’s second game of the season was on a bright sunny afternoon at KGV against Hardwicke. Right from the start the hosts pressed and after only two minutes went close from a corner. Matt Groves put Josh Pearce through on goal for his fifth minute strike to come back off the bar into a grateful Matt Prosser’s hands. Six minutes later a great wide pass went to Josh Pearce who beat two defenders and curled an unstoppable shot into the Hardwicke net for 1-0. After 18 Pearce was on hand to round Prosser only for his shot to hit the bar. Three minutes later Pearce made amends sprinting through the defence for 2-0. Things went from bad to worse for Hardwicke when their manager was firstly cautioned the sent off for verbals. Two minutes from the break Dillon Kerr scored from a great cross from Charlie Aldom, and there was still time for Hardwicke keeper Prosser to make two amazing saves to keep it at three. The second period started with Avonmouth clearly on top and three minutes in Groves pulled the ball back for Sam Ford to make it 4-0. After 73 minutes the impressive youngster George Brown made it 5-0 from close range following a corner. Rounding off the scoring for the hosts was Jordon Whittaker who latched on to a pass from Aldom for the sixth.

At the Bell Field in a scrappy game Frampton United held out for a 1-0 win to take the three points off Little Stoke. It was Little Stoke who had the first effort when from a quick break and a good through ball Meacham’s shot was well saved by Kaye. Up the other end and Willets crossed only for the defence to just beat Espada to the ball. In the 20th minute Willets was sin binned and and from the resulting free kick Little Stoke’s Jack Burgess headed just wide. After a couple of minutes back on the park Willets was one on one but keeper Gigov did well to save with his feet. The only goal of the game came on 36 minutes when Dom Brown headed home Espada’s corner. In the 55th minute Little Stoke had a decent chance when from a goalmouth scramble the ball was half cleared but the incoming shot was scuffed straight at Kaye. Despite Little Stoke having two players sin binned (one on 60, one on 75), they continued to attack but Frampton battled well to hold out for 1-0.

At The Hawthorns Broadwell Amateurs were up against Hanham Athletic and just four minutes in the hosts should have gained the lead 16 year old Jamie Belfitt blasting his effort over. Unfortunately this proved to be Broadwell’s best move of the half with Hanham dictating play for the remainder of the half. On 7 minutes a perfect free kick into the Broadwell box was controlled by Karim Rendall who cooly placed the ball into the far corner of the net. Rendall was a handful all afternoon for the home defence his direct attacking play creating several chances. On twelve minutes Rendall collected a long ball over the top and laid a perfect pass to the feet of Coles who drove his shot low past Watkins. To the home teams credit they controlled long spells of the second half but failed to break down Hanham’s defence. Twenty minutes from time Hanham had a penalty Rendall placing the spot kick low into the corner. The visitors tired a little allowing Broadwell more possession with Sam Brown saving at the feet of Brain and minutes later saving a direct shot from Morton. In the final minute Schiller saw his effort from a corner hit the post. Disapointing for Broadwell but a good all round performance for Hanham and a 3-0 win.

Stoke Gifford United hosted Ruardean Hill Rangers who’ve finally sort have woken up from their extended slumber. Not much going on for the first thirty five minutes before a great Marcus Thatcher free kick saw Ben Sheppard rise above defence for 1-0. Five minutes on it was two, great link up play from Mickey Barry and Spike Weaver, Barry smashing in the one on one. Gifford continued after the break in total control and on 55 captain Sheppard had a back post tap in for three. Five minutes later Weaver made it four. A great teasing run by Devanti to the bye line crossing for Kray Foster who fired in for a 78th minute fifth. The last goal on 82 came from the move of the game with an umpteen pass build up and movement ended with Devanti again getting to the line and Jack Nunn smashing in the sixth. An afternoon to forget for Hill, 6-0 to Stoke Gifford.

A seemingly frustrating afternoon at The Field where Almondsbury took on Sharpness. Straight away Almonds Weare was one on one with the keeper but fired over. A barrier collision on fifteen minutes ended Mannion’s afternoon but Almond still pressed and were close a few minutes later, Dawes pulling back for Weare to fire over through a crowd of bodies. Not much luck on the injury front and another change for the hosts, but they still pressed and Weare was pulled down when through but the subsequent free kick was well defended by The Sharks. Almonds Warwick made a driving run through on 37 with Russell making a good save on the angle. A minute later, however, it was The Sharks Martin who shot over keeper Maunders to give them the lead. A few minutes on an Almonds through ball was cleared by Russell and Sharpness went down the other end striking the bar. Into the second, and on 54 Almonds Alexander beat a few men and his strike from the edge was well saved by Gough. Two minutes later the woodwork came to Almonds rescue again. Just after Almonds Harmer struck a free kick from the edge which was well saved again. A spell of Sharpness pressure led to Oakley Dawes clearing off the line onto the crossbar and ten minutes from time Kieran Bennett weaved through two players and shot low to the left and Maunders saved very well. Sharpness holding out for 1-0.

25th August 2023 - Electronic Programmes

Almondsbury v Sharpness

Click on the image to view (External Site)

Avonmouth v Hardwicke

Click on the image to view (External Site)

Gala Wilton v Quedgeley Wanderers

Click on the image to view

20th August 2023 - Rockleaze Rangers run riot.

Mark Simpson


Firstly to The Field, Almondsbury where Cheltenham Civil Service were the visitors for last Wednesdays match which was competed with good energy. The first meaningful attack saw Service filter the ball down the right and cross to Lewis Driscoll whose shot unfortunately lacked any venom to trouble Burgess. Almondsbury took the mantle with well constructed passing and Service were rather exposed down the right and several crosses came over but Buckland was in commanding form. On 16 an overhit cross fell to Oakley who fed Knight and his shot was handled – penalty to Almonds – but Buckland was equal to Knight’s effort. The hosts continued to press but the final ball was always elusive. Service hooked up well down the right finding Liam Hope who blazed over. That sparked several Service attacks with Burgess tipping Chick’s effort away. A series of misplaced passes and crosses rounded off the first half. Early second half pressure from Almonds saw Alexander outstrip the visitors defence, his effort fizzing past the post. This sparked a flurry of efforts on the Service goal. A goal finally came on 78 minutes when Dawes pinpointed the ball through to Knight who drew the exposed Buckland and slotted home. Both sides made several changes and Service laid siege on the hosts goal but found Burgess in great form and indeed right at the end he pulled off a top draw save which looked likely to be heading to the top corner. Service frustration boiled over with Elliot Green received a straight red. Almondsbury shading it 1-0.

To Saturday, and some of the first week winners brought right back down to earth.

Firstly to Hillside Gardens where Rockleaze Rangers first home game shook Almondsbury with a repeat of the scoreline of their last home game. Rocks made a fast start but it was Almonds who struck first, a mix up in defence led to a free kick from 17 yards which Knight tapped sideways and Tom Clements crisp strike gave them a ninth minute lead. This took the wind out of Rockleaze’s sails but they eventually settled and levelled on 27 when Tate Shaw drove the ball under Sam Maunder. On the half hour a superb 25 yard free kick from Nick Jones found the top corner with Maunder rooted. A minute later Jones was one on one but spurned the chance. Number three soon came, on 39 minutes good work by Webb sat the keeper down and squared to Drew Sawdon to tap into an unguarded goal. Sawdon’s second came two minutes later intercepting a ball and rolling it past an exposed Maunder. The half ended with Rocks fifth Boontam on the end of Jones’s byline cross. The second half started as the first ended when four minutes in, the hard-working Dan Webb scored set up by Shaw and Marcus Williams. Jon Webb should have made it 7 but dwelt too long and allowed Matt Davies to block. Substitute Beard did make it seven with twenty minutes to go latching onto Webb’s through ball the strike past the yet again unprotected keeper. The game drifted to the end and 7-1 to Rockleaze Rangers it remained as it was back in March against Gala Wilton.

After the disappointment of last week Wick started very brightly in wet conditions at the ‘nest’ against Gala Wilton, and Codi Mansfield soon broke through on goal but his shot was well saved by Curtis Wilkins, with Sam Roberts firing the rebound over. Jahvon Davis fired over for Gala on 9 minutes but two minutes later Wick were in front when Mickey Goldings shot was deflected by Jack Creaney past the helpless Wilkins. On 25 minutes from a corner Sam Roberts crashed his shot against Gala crossbar. Wick doubled their lead just after the half hour with Golding heading home Brad Clarke’s cross. It was Golding on hand after 42 minutes finding the net after Wilkins save leaving Wick three up at the break. The second half was a more even affair with chances for both teams, around the hour mark Gala’s Jorell Sanniola fired just wide and Ashton Trott in the Wick goal pulled off a smart save to thwart Gala’s Tim Hill. Wick’s best chance of the half was when Tino Chipurios shot was deflected over. Gala pulled one back on 82, Tim Hill firing into the corner of the net for a mere consolation, Wick winning 3-1.
A Gallery by Matt Davies is available Here

At Green Lane, Hardwicke and Broadwell Amateurs started fairly lively with both teams playing swift passing football. Broadwell had the first chance when Ben Fishwick’s fierce volley was acrobatically saved by home keeper Matthew Prosser. On ten minutes the visitors were in front when Dan Brain raced down the wing crossing to Kristian Burnard who tapped in. Broadwell continued to press and on 20 almost had a second Jamie Belfitt’s cross finding Jamie Powell his volley saved by the active Prosser. Ten minutes before the interval Powell threaded a ball through the home defence for Brain to curl his shot past Prosser only to hit the post. Ten minutes into the second period it was two-nil an in-swinging corner found Burnard to tap in. Five minutes on, the hosts pulled one back when Taro Weston sprinted past the Broadwell defence and crossed for substitute Alex Stratford to head home. Just as Hardwicke appeared to be getting back into the game a quick counter found the hosts exposed and a 25-yard free kick for Broadwell was dispatched by Dan Brain into the top left for 3-1. Not to be deterred Hardwicke fought back and a good cross by Ollie Furniss found Stratford who coolly passed the ball past Jack Watkins. Ten minutes to go the hosts pushed for an equaliser but it wasn’t to be Broadwell taking the points 3-2.

A trip to Hamfields where Sharpness and Stoke Gifford United felt each other out in the first twenty minutes with not a lot going on. The Sharks woke up first and scored on 25 when Gifford’s Williams and keeper Beard made a hash of a long clearance and Kieran Bennett rolled the ball into an empty net. The visitors came close to levelling on the half hour when Shepherd met a Thatcher corner but Hewer cleared off the line. The second period saw Sharpness double their lead ten minutes in. A half cleared free kick found Elliot Martin on the edge, bringing the ball down, and rounding an advancing defender to slot into the far corner. It was nearly three five minutes later when good play down the left by Frankham found Mears in the box but his effort was well saved by Beard. Mears had another opportunity 5 minutes later when he found himself through on goal only for his chipped effort to sail wide. Stoke Gifford played some neat football and were back in it with 20 to go. A free kick was only helped out to the back post area and Rudy Hill met the ball with a thunderous strike into the far corner. Ten minutes to go and the visitors were level, good link up play down the right had Hill in behind the Sharks defence and his cross was met by Barry at the back post who smashed the ball past Russell to share the points 2-2.
A Gallery by Brian Rossiter is available Here

For the first time this season to the Hallett Construction Pavilion for Hanham Athletic against Bromley Heath United. In a closely fought encounter it was the visitors with the first chance on ten minutes with Aiden Noble latching onto a through pass but Hanham keeper Sam Brown cleared. The hosts took the lead on 18 when a free kick by Brandon Barnes found Karim Rendall with a back flip header into the net. The equaliser came for Bromley when the unfortunate Brown fumbled into his own net. A minute before the break pressure by Hanham led to Jack Knight scoring for 2-1. Sam Brown made amends for his first half fumble by making a brilliant save to keep out Noble’s penalty kick. Bromley eventually levelled on 74 minutes when a great rundown the right and crossed for Noble’s second and 2-2 the final score.

Finally to Little Stoke Park where Cheltenham Civil Service were the visitors and a quite feisty affair which at times lacked quality and was rather reflected in the outcome. Service came away with the three points when a long throw by Pete Guite late on was flicked into the home teams net by Dec Chick. It was a solid performance by the visitors against a very good Little Stoke side and who, despite their efforts, could not find a goal the match ending up 1-0 to Cheltenham Civil Service.

17th August 2023 - Electronic Programmes

Little Stoke v Cheltenham Civil Service

Click on the image to view

16th August 2023 - Electronic Programmes

Almondsbury v Cheltenham Civil Service

Click on the image to view (External Site)

13th August 2023 - Hanham Athletic and Avonmouth make winning starts

Mark Simpson


Here we go again a new season and a goal bonanza to start with 36 goals in the six matches.

Starting at Fairmile Gardens in an entertaining opening game with Gala Wilton hosting Hanham Athletic it was the visitors who opened the scoring straight from the kick off through Karim Rendall. This was followed up with a second on 17 minutes and a third on 23. Another came from the spot in the thirty third minute Rendall getting his hat-trick. Antonio Pirelli pulled one back for Gala in the 39th minute but there was no stopping Hanham who scored further goals in the 42nd and 45th minutes with Gala keeper Curtis Wilkins saving a penalty in between. The second half started with both sides playing good possession football and Pirelli scoring for the hosts on the hour, and five minutes on completed his hat-trick direct from a free kick, game on! But it was Rendall who scored his fifth on 76 minutes for 7-3 to kill that idea, but still, late Gala goals from Jorell Sanniola and a Tim Hill penalty made it a somewhat exciting end to an action packed 7-5 win for Hanham.

At Green Lane a youthful Hardwicke side entertained last years runners-up Bromley Heath United in what proved to be a pulsating affair. The first opportunity fell to Bromley with Aidan Noble latching onto a through ball but keeper Matt Prosser made a spectacular save. Will Higgins should have given the hosts the lead but was denied by last seasons golden glove winner Will Ferguson. Bromley took the game to Hardwicke and found the net but was ruled offside. The away side deservedly scored on the half hour with Jack Withey heading home from a corner. Bromley’s attacking persistence paid off when Joel Mitchelmore threading the ball through for Noble to cooly slip it past Prosser for another. Noble made it three just before the break placing a header past Prosser. Hardwicke showed more determination after the break and Harry Duncan found Marley Johnson whose shot was just wide. But, it was Bromley who increased their lead on fifty when Mitchelmore crossed and Noble stroked the ball past substitute keeper Jacob Waddington for his hat-trick. Five minutes later it was 5-0 with Noble yet again, this time from the edge of the box. Hardwicke, with the game deemed to be lost, rallied and pulled a goal back and on 65 Higgins raced down the wing and crossed for Taro Weston to tap in. Five minutes late came the second Rudy Kyffin tapping in after Ferguson parried Sean Clarke’s fierce shot. With five minutes left Higgins scored a penalty for Hardwicke’s third to complete a better second half for Hardwicke, but Bromley Heath took the points with a 5-3 scoreline.

Avonmouth’s first County League match, in front of a large crowd with groundhoppers there as well, turned out to be a keenly fought match against Sharpness well controlled by Simon Turner. Right from the start both teams played good football on a superb flat pitch. Avonmouth keeper Tom Bradley dealt well with several high crosses but on 22 minutes it was Dillon Kerr side footing into the Sharpness net from Josh Pearce’s pull back for 1-0 to Avonmouth. The Sharks however were back on level terms five minutes later when Brad Gibbs screwed the ball in. The second half continued to see good passing football with several young Sharpness players showing great close control. Avonmouth were resolute with centre back Mark Williams outstanding. However Tommy Taylor got a sin binning and Kerr a caution but it didn’t deter the hosts who took the lead on 81 minutes Pearce netting following Matt Groves superb assist. The points were deservedly secured when Jack Williams volleyed in for 3-1 to Avonmouth.

Two teams who were well up the league last season, Stoke Gifford United and Rockleaze Rangers, met at Gifford and it was Rockleaze on the offensive early on with Nick Jones having a good chance on five minutes. A few minutes later Marcus Thatcher’s free kick for Gifford was tipped round the post. Midway through the half Dan Webb had a front post tap in for 1-0 to Rockleaze. But it was a transformed Stoke Gifford who took control of the second half and they were awarded a penalty for handball, Spike Weaver tucking away the resultant kick on 65. Five minutes later Mike Barry was brought down, after another dazzling run, for yet another spot kick which was again dispatched by Weaver for 2-1, following which Gifford shut up shop to seal the points.

At Oldbury Lane, Wick, on a fantastic pitch but with indifferent weather, the seasons opener was underway with Frampton United creating two half chances in as many minutes. As the game settled it was Wick who came closest when Tom Kaye in the Frampton goal brought off a smart save from a Sam Roberts drive. On 23 minutes a slip by a Frampton defender allowed Wick to whip the ball across and an unfortunate defender found the net with an attempted clearance. A minute later it was almost two but Kaye made a great save. On the half hour Ashton Trott kept the lead intact with a great one on one save, and a few minutes later it was the crossbar to the rescue from a great Frampton flowing move. Two minutes later Kaye pulled off an incredible one handed save to deny the hosts. Five minutes before the break a Wick 30-yard free kick just cleared the bar. As the half drew to a close it was Frampton who levelled when the lively Romaine Dejuan Campbell whipped in a cross for Freddie Fisher to crash home. It could have been worse for Wick, the post to their rescue, with the last kick of the half. Wick were slow off the mark for the second half and were dispossessed in midfield allowing Frampton through and although Trott made a great save the danger wasn’t cleared and Steve Jackson smashed the ball home for 2-1 to the visitors. That spurred Wick into life but they were unable to breakdown a resolute Frampton defence. The woodwork again saved Wick on 80 minutes but it was a defensive mix up in time added on that gifted Frampton a penalty dispatched by Manolo Espada giving Frampton a 3-1 away win.

Little Stoke welcomed Quedgeley Wanderers to Little Stoke Park and the first 20 minutes was a rather cagey affair with both sides trying to adapt to the windy conditions. And the first goal did not come until five minutes before the break when Jaiden Holvers weighted through ball set Aaron West free who found the net with a composed finish to give Little Stoke a 1-0 lead. It was a slender half time lead and the game was still in the balance, but unfortunately for Quedgeley it was not long into the second period when the hosts doubled their lead West once again on hand. More goals followed for Little Stoke with Mike Hardiman grabbing the third, Sam Archer heading home a fourth and Hardiman sealing off a super opening day performance and a 5-0 win for Little Stoke and is it going to be another season of struggles for Quedgeley Wanderers.

11th August 2023 - Electronic Programmes

Little Stoke v Quedgeley Wanderers

Click on the image to view

Gala Wilton v Hanham Athletic

Click on the image to view

Avonmouth v Sharpness

Click on the image to view (External Site)

20th July 2023 - Les James League Cup First Round Draw

Nigel Meaney

The First Round draw for the Les James League Cup sponsored by Boca Teamwear is as below.

  • Avonmouth v Almondsbury
  • Cheltenham Civil Service v Broadwell Amateurs
  • Frampton United v Hanham Athletic
  • Hardwicke v Quedgeley Wanderers
  • Ruardean Hill Rangers v Bromley Heath United
  • Sharpness v Little Stoke
  • Stoke Gifford United v Rockleaze Rangers
  • Wick v Gala Wilton

All games to be played on Saturday 9th September with a 3 PM kick-off

20th July 2023 - Pyrotechnics Reminder


The potential injuries sustained as a result of someone using a pyrotechnic include:

  • Serious injuries, such as loss of limb or fingers
  • Severe burns, due to temperatures of up to 2,000°C
  • Breathing problems, due to smoke inhalation
  • Loss of hearing or sight, because of the explosive power

Action will be taken by the GFA if any club is reported to them by the Referee.

You have been warned.

13th June 2023 - Constitution 2023/24

Nigel Meaney

The constitution for season 2023-24 was confirmed at the AGM.

The league welcomes Hanham Athletic who are promoted from the Bristol Premier Combination League, Avonmouth who are promoted from the Bristol and Suburban League and Almondsbury who are relegated from the Toolstation Western League.

Congratulations to Cribbs Reserves who have been promoted to the Toolstation Western League

The league loses Henbury who have been relegated to the Bristol Premier Combination League and Patchway Town who are relegated to the Bristol Premier Combination League

The League matches will start on 12th August, end date to be confirmed by the FA. The Ron Holpin Trophy Match will be held on the 5th August between Broadwell Amateurs and Bromley Heath United.

Broadwell Amateurs
Bromley Heath United
Cheltenham Civil Service
Frampton United
Gala Wilton
Hanham Athletic
Little Stoke
Quedgeley Wanderers
Rockleaze Rangers
Ruardean Hill Rangers
Stoke Gifford United