News and Match Reports

26th November 2023 - Quedgeley Wanderers gain vital points in basement Derby

Mark Simpson


Nothing much changes at the top with four of the top five winning, all five won if you count Bromley Heath United’s delayed County Cup victory and at the bottom Quedgeley Wanderers had a six pointer against Hardwicke.

Better start at Waterwells on a cold day where Quedgeley Wanderers hosted Hardwicke. There was nothing to write home about until the 19th minute when Quedgeley’s Sean Lawson won a penalty which was dispatched by Kory Taylor for 1-0. Two minutes later Connor Webb missed a good chance when Taylor set him up. Hardwicke keeper Evan Coombs collected the ball to spare his blushes in a goalmouth scramble. Other than a few yellow cards the half ended with a stick to the day job bicycle kick by Lawson wide of the goal. Just after the break Oli Curtis had the ball in the Hardwicke net but was denied by the offside flag. Some good Quedgeley pressure with Stanbury denied by Coombs’ good save and some sound Hardwicke defending, Hardwicke themselves applying pressure and home keeper Nathan Charnock on form from a set piece and Harley Mustoe missed one on one in the six yard box. Some huffing and puffing towards the end by both sides came to nothing and 1-0 to Quedgeley it ended.

To an interesting one at Fairmile Gardens where Gala Wilton towards the bottom and Rockleaze Rangers towards the top were both needing points. A pretty even start with defences on top for the first 30 minutes but it was Rockleaze who took the lead slightly against the run of play Dan Webb scoring at the far post from a corner. As the game moved towards half time Rockleaze took it away from Gala with two quick fire goals, Drew Sawdon from close range and Jenson Beard capitalising on a defensive error. The second half started with defences on top until the visitors ensured the win, Webb scoring from close range from another productive cross into the box. On 82 Gala scored the goal that their efforts deserved when Tim Hill volleyed home Antonio Pirelli’s cross, but it was Rockleaze who had the final say with another close range goal this time a header from James Goulden to make it a resounding 5-1 win for them.

To the fringes of the top where Frampton United entertained Sharpness at the Bell Field and the Sharks opened the scoring on twelve minutes a cross was met by Archie Mears who fired into the bottom corner. Frampton’s first effort came from Stuart Maule whose shot was well dealt with by keeper James Russell pushing the ball around the post, the Jono Willets beat his defender and put in a cross which eluded everyone. Sharpness had a good chance to increase their lead from a ball over the top but Tom Kaye saved Kieran Bennett’s shot but it didn’t take long for them to score their second when a cross into the box fell to Tom Frankham to score and take the three points 2-0.

To the middle of the table and more good work by the ground care team after a heavy overnight frost enabled Wick against Hanham Athletic to take place at Oldbury Lane where the first half an hour was fairly even with Jai Macloed for Wick twice firing over and Ty Fudgell hitting the post for Hanham, but it was Hanham who scored first when Jacob Saunders headed home from a corner in a crowded penalty area. Karim Rendall then doubled Hanham’s lead on the stroke of half time when he volleyed a high defensive clearance into the top corner. After an even start to the second half a much improved Wick were looking for a way back into the game and the opportunity came when Todd Carter was fouled in the box and Liam Towler made no mistake from the spot. Wick levelled on 73 when Louis Short pounced on a loose ball in the box to fire home. Both sides then went looking for a winner with the best chance falling to Wick’s Brad Clark who headed over in the last minute to finish the game honours even.

Top of the table Avonmouth were the visitors to Tewkesbury Road to take on Cheltenham Civil Service. In a lively start it was Avonmouth who had the first real opening when Josh Pearce burst down the left wing and his pull back saw Alfie Taylor shoot wide. Pearce was at it again a few minutes later this time leaping high to head a cross goalwards, the initial effort blocked but the ball fell to him to volley in. The game settled until Avonmouth sprung Pearce through on goal producing a great save from Harvey Need. The game turned on 2 incidents in 2 minutes firstly a through ball by Services Liam Hope found Lewis Driscoll one on one but his effort was saved by Tom Bradley, from this Avonmouth countered and Pearce was caught in the box for a penalty which Alfie Taylor converted. Just before half time it was 3-0 when a header from Mike Oliver landed at the feet of Pearce who finished past Need. Service started the second half brightly and got their rewards when a deflection landed to Paul Smith on the edge and he shot past Bradley. Service had their best spell but a second goal would not come. Instead a 70 minute long ball was half cleared only to fall to Charlie Aldom who slotted past Need. Five minutes on Avonmouth were awarded a second penalty but Taylor sent his kick high over the top. Pearce, looking for his hat trick went on a great solo run only to see his shot go wide. On eighty minutes however, he wasn’t to be denied when a long ball over the top was missed by the Service defence and was cooly finished by Pearce for 5-1 and Avonmouth seven clear at the top.

At a bright and cold Little Stoke Park Ruardean Hill Rangers got a well deserved point away to Little Stoke. The host's had been forced to change the spine of the side due to player availability and made a slightly disjointed start to the game, with a lot of moves breaking down on the edge of the area with misplaced passes. The well organised Ruardean side were content to absorb the pressure and try and utilise the combination of Sampsom and Clark up front to hit on the break. On most occasions Little Stoke got through the Ruardean defence their shots went wide or turned into passes to Aaron Underwood in the Ruardean goal, the shot they got right went hard to Underwood's right but his arm shot out to push the ball out for a corner. Then disaster for Little Stoke as Ruardean punted the ball clear, two home defenders missed the opportunity to clear it leaving the livewire Steve Clark to run onto the ball on the edge of the centre circle, he drove into the box, drew Gigov in the home goal out and dinked the ball into the corner.

Whatever was said in the home dressing room as half time had a big effect as Little Stoke got on top, with the visitors reduced to defending and a few counter attacks. Little Stoke created several clear chances but the shots either went straight to Underwood or wide of the post. As the game was drawing to a close Stoke got a series of a free kicks in very dangerous positions. The first sailed over, the second beat Underwood and bounced off the bar, the final one was cleared but the ball was recycled and a cross deep to the back post allowed Mike Hardiman to force an equaliser with 30 seconds left on the clock.

In the other match Stoke Gifford United kept up their unbeaten run up away to Broadwell Amateurs at the Hawthorns on a Sunny but cold Saturday in November, Broadwell briefly threatened the visitors unbeaten run taking the lead in the 10th minute when following a corner Harry Nash collected the ball beyond the far post beat the defender near the bye line and laid it back to Jamie Powell who's first time shot nestled in the back of the net, 1-0 to Broadwell.
Broadwell continued to push for a second, but sloppy work on 25 minutes gave Stoke Gifford the ball in the middle of the park that saw Rudy Hill shoot from the edge of the box through the gloves of Watkins into the Net, 1-1. Three minutes later after a good move down the left Powell found his shot that beat Stawrowski only to come back off the inside of the post.
Another mistake on 31 minutes by Broadwell saw Hill's shot go into the bottom corner of the goal 1-2. 34 minutes and the errors kept coming, a loose pass saw the Stoke Gifford winger cross the ball into the area and karem Karakus With a strong header finished it off, 1-3.
In the 37th minute following a free kick on the edge of Broadwell's box saw the resulting shot deflected for a corner, the game seemed to go off the boil with a shot on 41 minutes by the home captain Locke pushed around the post for another corner, Half time 1-3.
The second half started with Broadwell tightening up in midfield and a number of attacks come to nothing, Stoke Gifford must have taken a breather, their first shot at goal in the second half didn’t come untill the 78th minute when Weaver shot wide. The game carried on back and forth with no further chances to either side.

23rd November 2023 - Electronic Programmes

Little Stoke v Ruardean Hill Rangers

Click on the image to view

Gala Wilton v Rockleaze Rangers

Click on the image to view

19th November 2023 - Broadwell take the points at Cheltenham Civil Service

Mark Simpson


Only one League game this week and a pretty poor effort from a lot of our Clubs in the County Cup with five of the bottom six in the League losing with some being annihilated by Clubs from a lower division.

Anyway to the important thing – The League. At Tewkesbury Road, Cheltenham Civil Service played host to Broadwell Amateurs in what most felt was a must win game, especially as neither side had hit the goal trail recently. Both teams started off at a lively pace and there was little to choose between them in the opening fifteen minutes. This all changed a few minutes later, Broadwell countered and sprung Kristian Burnard through, his touch sent him wide just at the time keeper Harvey Need flew into a challenge outside the box, and got himself cautioned. Service thought they’d got away with it, but hadn’t reckoned on Jordan Locke placing his free kick past Need who slipped, scrambling across goal. Broadwell held the upper hand and were solid behind the ball, whilst Service started losing patience and repeatedly turned the ball over.

Into the second half and a stalemate start with Broadwell looking to play on the counter. It was from a turnover a pass found its way across the box and Harry Knight struck a shot and a deflection took it away from Need for 2-0. Service made a few changes and had their best spell. Firstly a deep corner was recycled by Mike Oliver only for Ollie Whelan’s header to come back off the bar, and a minute later a deep cross was lined up perfectly for Lewis Driscoll to head home but slight body contact from the defender was enough for the header to end up over the top. Fifteen minutes from time Broadwell got their third in extraordinary style, Kian Skidmore launched a ball forward from 40 yards, it caught the breeze, and Need saw it loop over his head. The game finished 3-0 to Broadwell and left Service looking over their shoulders, but seeing the County Cup results from the teams below them in the League they might not have much to worry about.

16th November 2023 - Promotion and Relegation

Nigel Meaney

A reminder to clubs wishing to apply to the National League System (NLS) for promotion to Step 6 of the National League System for Season 2024/5 that they need to follow the process outlined in the NLS Regulations which forms part of the FA Handbook (NLS regulations section here.) See Appendix A section 2 for the appropriate regulations.

If you are having problems with the individual section link the full handbook can be accessed Here

In simple terms the highest placed club (of the Top 5) that has applied and meets the ground grading criteria set by the FA, will be considered for promotion by the FA Leagues Committee.

Completed applications must be with the FA by the 31st December 2023.

For clubs applying to join the league you have until 31st January 2024 to return the completed application forms to the League Secretary - Mark Simpson. Application forms can be found on the downloads page Here along with Mark's contact details and the League Handbook which contains the Ground Grading Criteria on pages 50-56.

The bottom two clubs will be relegated and replaced by the two successful applicants as determined by the Gloucestershire FA (GFA) rules for promotion in the local football pyramid as described in the GFA Handbook Here, on pages 58-59, Regulations of the Association Section 7 - Local Structure (North/South). The background to this process is described in an article on the GFA website Here

12th November 2023 - Ruardean Hill Rangers win to move up the table

Mark Simpson


Avonmouth maintain a healthy six point lead at the top with another win whilst at the basement there were some interesting clashes with Quedgeley Wanderers and Hardwicke really beginning to struggle, although Quedgeley were in a similar position last season and somehow pulled a series of results out of the bag to escape the drop.

And we start at Ruardean Hill Rangers against Quedgeley Wanderers at Hill’s Recreation Ground where Hill should have been in front in the first minute as a ball whipped in by Charlie Mason was headed wide by Tom Landon. But it was Quedgeley who took a 10th minute lead when Harry Reynolds left a defender on his backside with a neat turn before slotting past Aaron Underwood. Hill went near on twenty-five when Ollie Mason’s long range shot is took in his stride by Steve Clark but Nathan Charnock smothered his shot. Both Sean Lawson who fired against the post and Rio Spencer who broke the line and brought a save from Underwood were close to increasing the visitor’s lead. However it was Hill who equalised five minutes into the second half, Clark peeled off the back of the defence leaving Charnock on the deck before curling into an empty net. On 50 minutes Charley Mason fired wide from 30 yards, but on the hour Luke Johnson saw red reducing Hill to ten, but even then they looked the more likely to score and got the second on 73 when Clark nipped onto a throw in, saw Charnock off his line and audaciously found the net from 45 yards. Ten minutes from time Clark broke the offside trap and squared to Ollie Mason who smashed in to seal a 3-1 win for Hill.

To a rain sodden pitch at Green Lane where both Hardwicke and Wick struggled to adapt to conditions in the first 15 minutes. The Owls took the lead on 25 minutes when Sam Roberts fine through ball found Todd Carter to slot past keeper Matthew Prosser. Hardwicke nearly levelled when a Harry Furniss cross found Pat Vernall whose header came back off the post. However Wick furthered their lead after half an hour when Louis Short’s cross was met by Carter who found the back of the net. Immediately after the break it was three Clark tapping in from close range. The hosts attempted to fight back but couldn’t contain the Owls and went further behind on 50 with Jai Macleod tapping in. Five minutes later Liam Towler curled the ball over Prosser from 20 yards and almost immediately Wick were awarded a penalty for Sean Clarke handball with Towler netting the resultant kick. With fifteen minutes to go the Wick onslaught continued and full back Tommy Longhurst’s attempt from 25 yards brought a great save from Prosser but he did however score with five minutes to go when he steered Towler’s cross in for an emphatic 7-0 Wick win which gives them a little breathing space towards the bottom but leaves Hardwicke firmly rooted there.

To Almondsbury whose match with Gala Wilton was played just across the road at GFA headquarters. And it appeared to be a pretty one-sided affair and as early as seven minutes a free kick down the left by Cox found Rogers who squared it across into a packed box and the ball rebounded off the post. Two minutes on Dawes flashed the ball across goal but Dunnell-Luff couldn’t quite get a touch. Alexander was next to go close for the Almonds one on one but Elliott Jones saved well. And it was Jones on form again stopping Dawes with another one on one, but it was Gala who went straight down the other end with Burgess saving well and Knight blocking the follow up. Right on half- time Almonds broke the deadlock Davies playing Dawes in down the line who pulled back for Cox to finish past Jones. Immediately into the second half Dunnell-Luff cut in but hit the post with Jones beaten. On 54 minutes an unfortunate Sam Kelly played the ball back to Jones who let it run over his foot for an own goal. Gala did however pull one back on the hour when ball across the box found Jorell Sanniola at the back who finished past Burgess. Soon after it was the turn of Burgess to save one on one to prevent a Gala equaliser. However Almondsbury sealed victory five minutes from time when Ward played in Alexander who knocked it round the corner to Jones who took a touch into his path and unleashed a missile past the keeper for 3-1 to Almondsbury giving them a little breathing space towards the bottom with Gala still down there.

To the top at KGV where Avonmouth and Broadwell Amateurs observed a minutes silence for Remembrance Day. Avonmouth with groundhoppers in the crowd started brightly with a second minute shot off target and Josh Pearce flagged offside. The hosts kept pressing and got the breakthrough on 13 minutes when Kofi Martin’s long ball found Jack Williams to head in. It wasn’t until the 21st minute that saw the first Broadwell threat, Jordan Locke shooting over from a long cross. Just a minute later Avonmouth extended their lead with Kyle O’Donovan heading home a corner. Avonmouth’s dominance continued with the games best move ended with Pearce hitting a post. The first half saw more Avonmouth chances but Broadwell provided a strong finish to the half that saw two opportunities for Liam Thomas one when he went round the keeper but put the ball wide. Broadwell came out strongly for the second period and had several long range shots and continued with their long throw strategy which nearly paid off with a near post chance for Thomas. The goal of the game came on 53 when Pearce picked the ball up in his own half, beat two players on the right before cutting past two defenders and shooting low past Watkins for 3-0. In the 55th minute a back pass to home keeper Tom Bradley needed him to hurriedly react and he was in great form for the next ten minutes as the visitors pressed. Avonmouth then got back on top and saw Pearce, Matt Groves, and Dillan Kerr all close. Broadwell kept going and were rewarded with a penalty for Charlie Aldom’s handball and Liam Thomas converting a consolation in a 3-1 Avonmouth win.

Rockleaze Rangers and Frampton United both in the chasing pack met at Hillside Gardens in a rather one sided affair with poor Rockleaze finishing and an inspired performance from Frampton keeper Tom Kaye ensured a 0-0 draw. Jenson Beard had a chance five minutes in but his shot was well saved by Kaye and just a minute later Beard delivered a cut back cross that evaded both forwards. Kaye was at it again on 9 minutes tipping over a drive from Kalkowski and dealing with another effort from Beard. On 24 minutes Dan Webb was one on one with Kaye who saved with his legs but it was a chance that went begging. Within a minute Frampton had their first venture forward with Jackson shooting wide of Oakes goal. Further Rockleaze chances fell to Beard and Webb before the break but again they failed to take them. The second half had lots of Rockleaze pressure, firstly Marcus Williams fired over and then Beard was badly off target. Just before the hour Drew Sawdon grazed the outside of the post with a header from a corner. A rare Frampton sortie saw Jono Willets fire wide. With quarter of an hour to go Sawdon’s effort was deflected over the bar after a last ditch Frampton tackle. On 90 minutes James Goulden’s shot for Rockleaze appeared to have crossed the line but the referee in consultation with the Frampton linesman was unable to confirm a goal and so it finished 0-0.

Another two in the chasing pack are unbeaten Stoke Gifford United who entertained Bromley Heath United and played out an entertaining draw and paid their respects on Armistice day. Bromley set out their stall early, playing very direct football with plenty of energy that Gifford did well to cope with. Gifford used their pace to cause problems with Spike Weaver and Henry Ikeije proving tough to contain. It was those two who combined to put the hosts in front, Weaver smashing past Will Ferguson from the edge on 17 minutes. The game went from end to end with both teams styles much different but as effective. Bromley skipper Jack Withey was a big threat from set pieces and was close on the half hour mark. At the other end Ikeije was a menace for the Bromley back line and Gifford thought they should have had a penalty but the Referee thought differently. Bromley pulled level on the stroke of half time, a deep cross wasn’t dealt with and Withey struck goalwards , Rudy Hill cleared off the line but the ball rebounded off Ash Eyles and into the net for an unfortunate own goal. Gifford began the second half well and looked the likelier, Kerem Karakus and Luke Hall-Cousins both went close. But it was Bromley who got the next goal with Gifford giving away possession in a bad area and Ben Ackerman finished cooly after rounding Eyles. Shepherd went close for Gifford with a header from six yards but a combination of Ferguson and post denying him. The deserved equaliser on 92 minutes with a penalty for handball and Weaver cooly rolling home to finish off a really good game of football 2-2.
Image gallery from (Dale James) available Here

Towards mid table where Cheltenham Civil Service were the visitors to the Hallet Construction Pavilion to face Hanham Athletic. Paul Coles should have put Hanham in front after 5 minutes but shot weakly when put through. The first Hanham goal came on 22 minutes when Tyrone Fudgell took a free kick straight through a group of players. It was almost two on the half hour but a close range header was well saved by Harvey Need in the Service goal. Hanham did make it two right on half time Jacob Saunders scoring from the spot after Coles was brought down. Service came back into the game and could have scored on a few occasions but poor finishing and good goalkeeping by Sam Brown kept them at bay. Hanham got a third on 85 minutes when Paul Coles finished after the Chairman’s grandson Jack Shepard Cozens shot came back off Need.

Staying towards mid table at Hamfields where Sharpness took on Little Stoke with the visitors quickest to settle with a couple of dangerous free kicks in the opening minutes were well defended by Sharpness. Little Stoke took the lead from the spot after a needless challenge with Lewis Hughes making no mistake. Sharpness had plenty of possession and created chances of their own but lacked punch to their play and that was the tale of their afternoon. Little Stoke doubled their lead with a counter down the right before working the ball into the box and finding Alex Hill who finished well at the near post for 2-0.

11th November 2023 - Electronic Programmes

Avonmouth v Broadwell Amateurs

Click on the image to view (External Link)

Ruardean Hill Rangers v Quedgeley Wanderers

Click on the image to view (External Link)

5th November 2023 - Gala Wilton and Stoke Gifford United into Cup Semis - Sponsored by Boca Teamwear

Mark Simpson



Postponements left us with two Les James League Cup quarter final ties and two League fixtures. The cup had one surprise result in Gala Wilton defeating Bromley Heath United. In the League Rockleaze Rangers tumbled to a surprisingly heavy defeat at Little Stoke.

First to the League Cup and to Fairmile Gardens where Gala Wilton were keen to make amends for their defeat to Bromley Heath United in the League a few weeks ago. Downpours throughout the afternoon made playing conditions difficult and it was credit to both sides for the quality of football played throughout. The first half was played in a competitive manner with more bookings than goal scoring opportunities, but it was Gala who took the lead on 30 minutes when a Jerzy Marszalek free kick from 25 yards skidded past Will Ferguson and into the bottom left corner of the net. Bromley came close to scoring after fifty minutes when a cross clipped the top of the bar, but were reduced to ten when Trai Elliston-Sackett was sent off for a second yellow. Bromley responded well to being a man down and with Gala unable to score a second goal to secure the win, the inevitable happened when Bromley were awarded a penalty in the last minute and Nathan Rose fired past Elliott Jones to take the game to penalties to decide the result. Gala won the shoot-out with two great saves by Jones and a winning penalty from Wakib Said for a 3-1 win.

The second League Cup match saw Stoke Gifford United entertain Quedgeley Wanderers with Gifford on the front foot and were ahead within fifteen minutes when Mikey Barry jinked inside and wrong- footed Nathan Charnock in the visitor’s goal. The remainder of the half led to very little with Quedgeley containing Gifford with a solid shape until right on half time when the excellent Harry Ikeije drove in from the left and was upended in the area and Tauren Williams smashed the penalty home with ease. Gifford started the second half well and found a third goal on 49 minutes when good team play found Kerem Karakus who in turn found a yard of space to fire home from the edge. Quedgeley never stopped and got a deserved goal twenty minutes from time when Ollie Barnett rose highest to nod a corner home. Ash Eyles was called into action producing an excellent double save to keep Quedgeley out, and perhaps Gifford should have extended their lead but could never find the right pass. Stoke Gifford making it to the semi-finals by 3-1.

To the League and two teams, Wick and Ruardean Hill Rangers both rather struggling so far, met at Oldbury Lane on a fantastic surface, thanks to hard work by the ground staff after atrocious weather. A bright start by Hill brought Ashton Trott into action after only a couple of minutes saving well at his near post. Wick’s slow start continued and after eight minutes the midfield let Ollie Mason break through to bury his shot past Trott into the corner for 1-0 to Hill. This spurred Wick into life and two minutes later Aaron Underwood saved well but from the resulting corner Jay Macloed smashed his shot into the top corner to level things up. Wick continued pressing and thought they should have had a penalty but Referee Jack Clark thought differently. On 15 minutes Louis Short’s screamer for Wick brought a tremendous save from the always impressive Underwood. The equally impressive Trott saved from point blank in the 28th minute after a defensive error. On the brink of half time Underwood made another great save to push Liam Towler’s goal bound free kick wide of the target. Wick started the second period on the front foot and with only a minute gone Underwood saved with his feet from Short. Wick carried on pressing forcing Hill to clear off the line and on the hour another goal line clearance was made from Todd Carter’s powerful header. Although Wick enjoyed second half dominance Ruardean were always a threat on the break. Wick’s day was summed up in the 89th minute when Underwood again saved brilliantly spreading himself to thwart Short when through on goal ensuring the game finished with honours even.

Finally, Little Stoke welcomed Rockleaze Rangers to The Park and it was the home side who came out of the blocks quickly, with the pressure eventually proving too much for Rockleaze when Luke Meacham found himself through on goal, lobbing the ball over Jordan Dunning for a 1-0 lead. Rockleaze found a footing in the game and Gorazd Gigov made two excellent saves to keep Little Stoke ahead, but on 35 minutes it was Stoke’s Jack Burgess who was fouled by Dunning in the box and Lewis Hughes smashed the penalty home for 2-0. The second half started slowly and there was little action until the 69th minute when a diagonal free kick towards Hillard was touched on for Liam Jenkins to smash home with his first touch after coming on as a substitute. Rockleaze ended the game with ten men after a harsh red card but the damage was already done at 3-0 to Little Stoke.

2nd November 2023 - Electronic Programmes

Gala Wilton v Bromley Heath United

Click on the image to view

Little Stoke v Rockleaze Rangers

Click on the image to view