News and Match Reports

24th February 2024 - Avonmouth extend lead

Mark Simpson


Three more matches lost to the weather and two of the Clubs involved are going to have a very busy end to the season. Nevertheless things press on, and are Avonmouth out of sight, thirteen points clear with two games in hand? At the bottom things are becoming increasingly difficult for the bottom three who I’m sure will keep fighting.

Gala Wilton took on Avonmouth on a bright afternoon at Fairmile Gardens. And it was Avonmouth who started the brighter of the sides and should have been in the lead before they did so on 15 minutes with a neat finish off the post with a shot from the edge by Matt Groves. The visitors continued to make the majority of chances as they attacked with pace and numbers and looked particularly dangerous from set pieces, but Gala defended stoutly and were just the one behind at the break. Josh Pearce started the second half just as Avonmouth would have wanted with a neat finish on 53 minutes, but Gala replied on 61 through a good finish into the far corner from Mike Baron. After this Gala grew more and more into the game albeit without creating anything clear cut and Avonmouth started to sit deeper and appeared to be content to try to see the game out at 2-1, but an interception from the Gala defence saw an excellent finish from Pearce for 3-1. Then five minutes later on 89 a superb one-two on the edge of the box saw Pearce complete his hat-trick for a 4-1 win and probably a rather harsh result on Gala but another three points for Avonmouth.

Gallery for this game from Helen Warwick available Here, if you use the images please credit Helen Warwick Twitter @HelenWarwick5.

Tewkesbury Road played host to a battle of the basement where the three points would give Cheltenham Civil Service or Hardwicke a huge boost. Hardwicke started well and after only four minutes a through ball found Harry Furniss in on goal but he seemed to have got his feet tied up as he was about to shoot, and Hardwicke’s appeals were a little too vociferous with Josh Vallis-Ridler being sin binned. Service then stepped up and Dec Chick saw his effort from the edge of the box hit the bar. On 25 minutes Civi took the lead, Brett Blake started the move, then received the ball back from Sam Johnson to finish with a first time deflected shot past Cam Wilce. Harvey Need in the Civi goal read a Hardwicke through ball very well, claiming it on the edge of the box, before a further couple of Hardwicke attacks led to nothing worthwhile. A wicked free kick from Lewis Driscoll was met powerfully by Pete Guite but wide of the goal. Hardwicke started the second half pushing men forward, but the home side were dangerous on the break. Hardwicke’s Harley Mustoe was busy creating holes for asking questions of Service and chances came either end Hardwicke’s Ed Rimmer taking a touch at the far post before firing wide, then Blake breaking forward to square to Luke Finch with the goal at his mercy only to put the ball wide. Tom Hobbs saw his header go over for Hardwicke while Guite’s volley from a Mike Oliver flick also went over and Miko Rewczuk burst through from Dan Wills pass but the ball bobbled and the shot was wide. In the end Hardwicke threw everything forward but it wasn’t to be, and at the end their players were brought to their knees, Service holding out for 1-0 and that huge three points.

Despite the recent weather Wick’s pitch was in excellent shape for the visit of Sharpness. After an even start Sharpness took a fifteenth minute lead, a defensive lapse by Wick allowed a cross from the right to find Brad Gibbs who headed past Ashton Trott. Both teams battled throughout the half which featured some crunching tackles, and just before the break Wick were level, Jai Macleod latching onto a loose Sharks free kick, bursting past two defenders and shooting past James Russell. There was enough time for another Sharpness attack and Wick were indebted to Trott who pulled off a point blank save to keep the score even at the break. Sharpness thought they had regained the lead five minutes into the second half but up went the flag. A minute on and it was Wick who had the lead when Brad Clark’s 30 yarder lobbed Russell. Sharpness continued to press without success and Wick’s cause wasn’t helped by Levi Brown picking up a second yellow on 70 minutes. The Sharks were themselves reduced to ten on 80 minutes to a sin bin and Wick thought they had done enough to take the three points until 10 minutes was added on. Sharpness were then back to full strength and took advantage when two minutes in Tom Frankham shot past Trott from just inside the box, and then Will Tainton nodded home at the far post to seal a 3-2 win for Sharpness.

At Waterwells Quedgeley Wanderers took on Rockleaze Rangers who started well although Jenson Beard was off target. Quedgeley countered forcing a sixth minute corner from which Jordan Dunning saved. A few minutes on Dan Webb’s shot was off target and a continued Rockleaze onslaught with numerous shots keeping keeper Nathan Charnock very busy. On 17 minutes Fraser Butt was one on one with Charnock and rounded him to find the back of the net. Rockleaze kept the pressure up but couldn’t find a finish and inevitably Quedgeley found some rhythm and equalised in the 32nd minute Connor Webb skilfully lobbing Dunning. Rockleaze came out of the blocks for the start of the second half but without troubling Charnock, and there was limited action in shot terms, but Rio Spencer had a goal disallowed for Quedgeley and indeed Rockleaze also had one disallowed and the game went on its course to a 1-1 draw.

At the Bell Field Frampton United and Stoke Gifford United was a really cagey affair with no real chances until the 42nd minute when Frampton’s Zak Tyers’ volley went high, and with the last kick of the half Gifford’s Sam Garrod’s long range effort crept just over the bar. The second half started much brighter and Jordan Yeo’s effort for Gifford was well saved by Tom Kaye. In the 55th minute a good cross into the Gifford box was met by Craig Mills and Oliver Gargett made a great save. Gifford opened the scoring when Ben Sheppard headed home from a corner and increased their lead five minutes later from a Spike Weaver free kick from the edge of the box. Frampton pulled one back ten minutes from time when from a free kick Dom Brown headed the ball back across goal and Henry Driver-Dickerson fired home and 2-1 to Gifford it ended.

21st February 2024 - Electronic Programmes

Gala Wilton v Avonmouth

Click on the image to view

Little Stoke v Almondsbury

Click on the image to view

17th February 2024 - Avonmouth edge clash of top two

Mark Simpson


With the top two playing each other and Avonmouth taking the points attention was also drawn to the other end where two clashes in the Forest saw the bottom two attempt to climb up a bit, it didn’t quite work out for Hardwicke where Ruardean Hill took the points in a 4-3 victory, but Gala Wilton did a little better by taking a useful point at Broadwell. Three matches were lost to the weather.

Starting at KGV for the top two clash Avonmouth v Frampton United a good crowd of 130 saw a close match, and within 20 seconds of the start Avonmouth’s Josh Pearce was put through with only Tom Kaye to beat but put his shot wide. Two minutes later he was through again but his shot was well saved by Kaye. Frampton came more into it and a mistake by centre back Mark Willims let Henry Driver-Dickerson in but his shot was wide. A lull in the game for 15 minutes was followed by Avonmouth’s Kyle O’Donovan shooting from distance forcing a save by Kaye and Pearce hitting the rebound across the goal line. Not long after a great last gasp tackle prevented Pearce shooting in from just 5 yards. After 30 minutes a brilliant first touch from Frampton’s Max Harper=Emerson opened up space in the box but Avonmouth threw bodies in the way to prevent the ball reaching keeper Tom Bradley. Just after Pearce sped through the Frampton defence and shot past Kaye for 1-0. Straight after the start of the second half Pearce was put through again but Kaye’s legs saved Frampton. The visitors started to get a grip of things a were moving the ball about well and following a great run by Emerson, Bradley made a super save to prevent the equaliser. The final 20 minutes was scrappy with Avonmouth defending Bradley’s goal well, but it was the home side who nearly scored again with Matt Groves playing Alfie Taylor who found Pearce’s head and the ball was pushed away by Kaye for the final action in a hard fought game edged 1-0 by Avonmouth.

Up to the Forest first to Ruardean Hill Rangers against Hardwicke with Hill in front in the seventh minute from Steve Clark’s shot from outside the box through a crowd of players. Hill had plenty of the ball in the first 25 minutes but failed to test Jay Brown in the Hardwicke goal. Two minutes on Hardwicke equalised against the run of play with Hill stood appealing for offside Harry Furniss knocked the ball in for 1-1. On the half hour Clark tried his luck from 25 yards the ball flying wide with Brown rooted. At 36 minutes a Hill free kick just outside found Clark to strike in off the far post. Five minutes before the break it was Furniss with the equaliser despite the best efforts of Aaron Underwood with his defence again standing appealing. But it was Clark completing his hat trick just before the half time whistle firing in from outside the area. Ollie Mason almost made it four but Brown saved with his feet. Just after half time Hardwicke equalised for the third time, a great strike from Harley Mustoe in off the bar. Hill had a few more chances with Tom Landon heading over Mason’s whipped in corner, Clark wriggling through a couple of challenges before shooting wide and Dan Latham shooting but Marley Johnson cleared off the line. Hill’s winner came a minute from time with a great cross from Charlie Taylor and Steve Clark heading in at the back post for his and Hills fourth and a 4-3 win. Notably it was Clark’s eighth goal in two games against Hardwicke this season.

Now to the other Forest match where Gala Wilton visited Broadwell Amateurs. Both teams were determined to assert dominance on the pitch. The match ignited with fervour as the home side were in front after three minutes with Jack Knight’s sensational strike from outside the box. Gala were undeterred by the early setback and launched a series of attacks to test Broadwell with keeper Jack Watkins denying Gala. As the half progressed Broadwell did gain control but just before half time Gala mounted a swift counter and Ryley Mace showed good skill manoeuvring through Broadwell’s defence and slotting home for 1-1. Broadwell were keen to reclaim the lead in the second half and Ethan Wilkins was close early on shooting just over and despite persistent attacks Gala remained resolute. However, in the 58th minute the momentum shifted as Gala were awarded a penalty after Knight upended a Gala forward and Elliott Martin calmly converted the spot kick. Broadwell responded with some substitutions and their persistence paid off in the dying moments of time added on, a cleverly executed corner kick found Jamie Belfitt, the smallest player on the pitch, rising above the defence to head home a dramatic equaliser in a hard fought and skilful 2-2 draw.

To Hillside Gardens where Wick were visiting a normally strong home side in Rockleaze Rangers. The game started with Rockleaze doing the majority of probing. Ashton Trott saved well with his legs in the eighth minute from Sam Bailey and this became the norm for the remainder of the half as Rockleaze were thwarted by both Trott and poor finishing. Dan Webb was next to be frustrated as Trott saved another goal bound effort on 11 minutes and the same player should have done better on 18 minutes but once again Trott saved well with his legs when Webb was one on one. Drew Sawdon struck the bar on twenty minutes with the ball bouncing down on the line before being hacked clear. Webb was guilty of a bad miss on 29 minutes when he struck the ball at Trott from six yards out with the rest of the goal gaping. Rockleaze did take the lead on 43 minutes when Sawdon followed up to tap home from 5 yards after Webb had scuffed a cross from Fraser Butt. The second half started with a Louis Short 25 yarder going close For Wick. Then on 55 minutes Owen Humphries went to ground in the box, the Referee awarding a penalty which Sam Roberts duly smashed in for 1-1. Rockleaze should have retaken the lead on the hour, but Webb’s effort lacked power and ran through to Trott. Trott once again came to Wick’s rescue when he brilliantly tipped over a Beard chip ten minutes from time. A disappointing end to the game came when Rockleaze thought they’d won the game deep in to time added on with a Boontam header from a corner only for the Referee to rule the goal out for an infringement. A useful 1-1 draw for Wick in their pursuit of safety.

Derby day at the Stoke Gifford Stadium where Little Stoke were the visitors. Gifford had the opening 15 minutes but saw chances go begging, Spike Weaver with a close range effort put over the bar, Jordan Iwhiwhu had a shot well saved and Dan Dunt headed over from a corner. Little Stoke started to grow into the game and took the lead on 18 minutes with a penalty well dispatched by Lewis Hughes. Gifford ended the half with well worked openings but failed to convert. The second half started with a good save from Barry Phillips in the Little Stoke goal. Little Stoke continued to frustrate Gifford and went further ahead on 75 minutes when Alex Fox headed home from a corner which Gifford failed to deal with. Five minutes from time Gifford gave themselves a lifeline when Joe Bridge headed home from a well worked free kick but it wasn’t enough in the end as Little Stoke held out to take the spoils 2-1.

17th February 2024 - Promotion and Relegation

Nigel Meaney

The following clubs have applied for promotion to Step 6 of the National League System for Seaaon 2023/4

  • Avonmouth
  • Rockleaze Rangers
  • Sharpness

The bottom two clubs will be relegated and replaced by the two successful applicants as determined by the Gloucestershire FA (GFA) rules for promotion in the local football pyramid as described in the GFA Handbook Here, on pages 58-59, Regulations of the Association Section 7 - Local Structure (North/South). The background to this process is described in an article on the GFA website Here

Clubs applying to join the league for next season are as follows

Bristol Premier Combination
  • DRG Frenchay
  • Hallen Reserves
  • Totterdown United
Bristol and Suburban League
  • Filton Athletic
  • Wessex Wanderers
Gloucestershire Northern Senior League
  • Brockworth Albion
  • Chalford
  • Dursley Town
  • Longlevens Reserves
  • Tredworth Tigers

17th February 2024 - Electronic Programmes

Avonmouth v Frampton United

Click on the image to view (External)

Ruardean Hill Rangers v Hardwicke

Click on the image to view (External)

10th February 2024 - Little Stoke hold Avonmouth

Mark Simpson


If any team are going to come unstuck during the season then Little Stoke Park is one of those venues and so it proved for Avonmouth, although they didn’t lose, their gallop at the top was pegged back. The weather took its toll with three games lost, and there wasn’t much interest from our sides in the County Cup with only Hanham Athletic making it through to the semi-finals.

To Little Stoke Park where Avonmouth were the visitors, and the hosts started well and got the break through when Danny Lanes pinpoint cross was met by Luke Meacham to head home. Avonmouth grew into the game calling Barry Phillips into action in the Little Stoke goal to keep the score at 1-0. Little Stoke did have the next chance with Nathan Brown, one on one with Avonmouth keeper Tom Bradley, but could only roll the ball wide. Avonmouth levelled on 35 minutes with a Josh Pearce header from inside the six yard box. Minutes into the second half a well worked free kick and cross found its way into the Avonmouth goal, an unfortunate own goal giving Little Stoke the lead. But, Avonmouth found an equaliser late on with a superb solo goal from Pearce earning them a point with a 2-2 draw.

Cheltenham Civil Service went up to the Forest to take on Ruardean Hill Rangers in a fixture on the fringes of the relegation zone. Early on Service using the long ball well creating a chance forcing Aaron Underwood to tip round the post. Hill came more into the game when Steve Clark turned his defender but ended up firing over. Hill took a 33rd minute lead when Clark curled a free kick, from just outside the area, over the wall and out of Harvey Need’s reach. Hill almost made it two just before the break from another free kick Service failing to clear and Max Telling acrobatically volleyed over from 10 yards. Service used the long ball tactic in the second half but Hill dealt with it well. Service went down to ten when Kerry Hale as the last man pulled Clark down. From the resulting free kick Clark curled the ball against the outside of the post. Two minutes later on 68 Hill got their second when a free kick into the Service box was recycled with Tom Landon smashing the ball across the face of goal and Fin Jones provided the finishing touch. On 71 a good run by Alex Stephens into the box was forcibly stopped, but the resultant penalty was smashed over the bar by Clark. On 78 minutes Hill worked the ball through to Taylor Blaby who shot from 25 yards but Need tipped the ball round the post. A minute later it was three when Stephens blasted in from 10 yards. Ten from time Jones had a chance but mistimed his jump, but two minutes from time the fourth came when Ollie Mason curled in a freekick at Need’s near post to complete a 4-0 Hill win.

And to the Bell Field where Frampton United took on Broadwell Amateurs for an evenly matched affair with Frampton creating the majority of chances and seeing out the game for a 1-0 win. The first chance ten minutes in came when a Henry Driver-Dickerson cross hit the bar and Manolo Marquez-Espada headed over the rebound. Both teams had good spells of possession for the next 20 minutes but with no clear cut chances until Marquez-Espada dragged a free kick wide. Frampton had another half chance when Jacob Geddes headed towards goal but didn’t trouble keeper Jack Watkins. The next 10 minutes saw Frampton sustain their pressure and some good link up play led to Marquez-Espada slipping Henry Driver-Dickerson in to round Watkins but was a little too wide to score, George Driver-Dickerson had the follow up shot blocked on the line. The deadlock was broken on 41 minutes with Geddes heading home at the back post from a corner. Frampton were quickly out of the blocks for the start of the second half, and created another few chances but couldn’t convert from good positions. All this time Broadwell threatened on the break with the Frampton defence limiting any clear cut chances. The remainder of the game lived up to the usual Frampton v Broadwell rivalry with a few strong tackles, some heated arguments but all in good spirits and 1-0 to Frampton it remained.

8th February 2024 - Electronic Programmes

Little Stoke v Avonmouth

Click on the image to view

Ruardean Hill Rangers v Cheltenham Civil Service

Click on the image to view (External)

3rd February 2024 - Cheltenham Civil Service overcome Gala Wilton

Mark Simpson


Avonmouth plough a lonely furrow at the top whilst the bottom of the table the cliché six pointer is almost meaningless as all games at the bottom appear to have this status.

We start with a cliché at Tewkesbury Road where Cheltenham Civil Service took on Gala Wilton with both very much in need of points and the game started with Gala offering more and ten minutes in Jorell Sanniola burst inside and fired over from a good position, but it was Service first to score on 20 when Dan Wills found a pocket to pick the run of Lewis Driscoll who finished with the outside of his foot past Oscar Bignall. This lifted Service and five minutes later a cross from Short was met by the head of Wills into the corner for 2-0. Service keeper Harvey Need was called into action saving as Marszalek burst through. On 30 minutes Ollie Wilkes picked out Short whose shot drifted wide. Right on half time Driscoll’s corner was met by Pete Guite who headed over when well placed. Gala started the second half brightly and on 55 minutes Jamol Dare’s shot from distance brought a great save by Need. Seventy minutes in Service missed a great chance to extend their lead when Bignall dropped the ball and Short managed to put the ball over from 3 yards. Five minutes later Dec Chick played Brett Blake through who finished past Bignall. Service’s clean sheet was lost at the end when a ball was played through and clinically finished by Riley Mace to pull one back and 3-1 it was to Service.

Rockleaze Rangers were looking to continue their home form against bottom of the table Hardwicke but the visitors were stubborn and competed for every ball, but ultimately it was two goals in each half that saw Rockleaze prevail. Rockleaze might have taken the lead on eight minutes when Nick Jones struck the post from 18 yards, but didn’t have to wait long when a minute later James Goulden intercepted a quick free kick 30 yards out, strode into the Hardwicke box and fire past Cameron Wilce. Rockleaze were now in charge and the second came on 20 minutes when a driven corner from Sam Bailey was superbly headed home by the soaring Jordan Buckett. Nick Jones then should have done better but his shot was high and wide after great build up by Goulden, Sawden, and Bailey. Hardwicke had their first real chance on the half hour when George Ganley thundered in a header from 15 yards that was narrowly over. The final action of the first half had Sawdon on a mazy run but under pressure shot narrowly wide. A slow start to the second half came to life on the hour when Bailey shot narrowly wide after good work by Jones, Williams, and Goulden, but from the resultant short goal kick Bailey intercepted and shot from 20 yards and a deflection took it over Wilce’s head for 3-0. A nimber of home changes were made and Pete Ireland moved forward and perhaps should have scored but his header lacked power. On 68 minutes Goulden made it four when he found himself one on one with Wilce and drove the ball into the corner of the net. Ireland clipped the bar near the end and Wilce pulled off a super save, tipping the ball over after a cheeky chip from Kalkowski and 4-0 it remained.

Stoke Gifford United hosted Wick, and it was the visitors who started on the front foot and after a heavy challenge in the box the Gifford defence appeared to stop waiting for a whistle but play continued allowing Ash Hawkins an easy task of firing home for a twelfth minute Wick lead. Gifford started to gain control and were level on 28 minutes, Mikey Barry beating his man to the bye-line before being clattered, up stepped Spike Weaver for the spot kick, but he was initially denied by Ashton Trott but followed up for 1-1. Then from the 32nd minute the game was pretty much wrapped up with four Gifford goals in eight minutes. First Barry twisted and turned before sliding home from eight yards, next up Jordan Iwhihwu finished superbly following Weaver’s cut back. Iwhihwu was at it again 90 second later, proving too powerful for the Wick backline firing fiercely past Trott. Weaver finished the first half scoring, drifting across the box before unleashing an unstoppable 18 yarder. Wick were a little shell shocked but could have pulled one back just before the break, a high cross caught the wind and Oli Gargett could only parry to Louis Short before bringing him down, but Hawkins spot kick was comfortably dealt with by Gargett. The second half was at a slower tempo with the feeling that the game was already over, but on 65 minutes Gifford got their sixth, Iwhihwu feedding Weaver for his hat trick. A minute later Jordan Yeo struck the bar from the edge. Wick stuck at it and got a second when Gargett tried dribbling out but was dispossessed by Short who slid it home. Weaver had two more efforts before the end both very well dealt with by Trott. And 6-2 to Gifford it ended.

To Hamfields for the next game where Sharpness took on Ruardean Hill Rangers who started the brighter and had a couple of early sights at goal without troubling keeper Gough. Sharpness did have a good opportunity to open their account after good work by Mears who put Tainton through but he pulled his left footed effort wide. It was Hill who scored first when a deep free kick wasn’t dealt with and it fell to Clarke who brought it down and smashed it home. Tainton had another chance just after but sent his shot over. Hill made it two just before the break, Fin Jones received the ball turned his man and hit his shot past Gough, who maybe could have done better. Sharpness started the second period the better and Mears had a chance from the edge but sent it over. Kieran Bennett pulled one back for the Sharks ten minutes into the half showing great strength to hold his man, turn, and hit a low shot into the bottom corner from outside the box. Midway through the half Sharpness got a deserved equaliser when Frankham’s ball over the defender’s head was met by Turner who passed the ball past Aaron Underwood and into the net. Hill were reduced to ten with twenty to go when Mason after initially being sent to the bin for dissent, received a red for after continuing chopsing. Sharpness pressed for a winner but couldn’t find the net with Shepherd going closest last on and 2-2 it was.

To the lonely furrow at KGV where it was business as usual for Avonmouth over Quedgeley Wanderers. It was the visitors who had the better start throughout the opening exchanges coming close to scoring with Rio Spencer’s header. An early Avonmouth attack came from a free kick on half way punched clear by Nathan Charnock. After seven minutes Josh Pearce played in Jack Williams who flicked the ball over the defence but shot wide. Pearce was put through on goal but Charnock made a good save. After the first quarter Avonmouth came more into it and after a free kick over the bar Charlie Aldom played a great ball to Pearce who was again foiled by Charnock’s great save. Quedgeley continued to play good football but were put under more pressure after 23 minutes when Pearce was played in behind got his shot away that was pushed out by Charnock but Pearce followed up for 1-0. Just on the half hour a great through ball by Williams found Pearce who made it two. With five minutes to go to the break Quedgeley’s Harry Reynolds broke down the left and his shot needed a good save from Tom Bradley who was called into action again coming outside the box to clear. The first 20 minutes of the second half was end to end but with no breakthrough. Quedgeley saw more of the ball as Avonmouth had to defend deep with Pearce in the bin. Avonmouth then hit the bar with Matt Groves sprinting to keep the ball in and played back to Jack Williams who made no mistake from the edge to put Avonmouth three up. With ten minutes to go Pearce cut in from the left but Charnock’s smart save denied him his hat trick. Five minutes from time Quedgeley had one last chance on goal but Mark Williams and Bradley did well to snuff out the chance and Avonmouth’s Alfie Taylor played in Cody Winkler but again Charnock saved well. Avonmouth were made to work for their 3-0 win by a spirited Quedgeley side.

Our weekly trip up to the Forest saw the Clash between Broadwell Amateurs and Little Stoke unfold on a chilly afternoon providing spectators with a gripping display of football. The initial exchanges saw both teams vying for dominance with Little Stoke’s Jenkins testing the vigilant Jack Watkins. After 15 minutes Dan Brain’s free kick rattled Stoke’s bar. But it was the visitors who struck first when Jack Watts’ 38th minute precise shot found the net. The intensity of the match increased just before the break when Phil Vice saw red leaving Broadwell a player up going into the second half. Both teams were probing for chances but it was Danny Lane with a thunderous strike who extended Stoke’s lead. Broadwell, despite plenty of effort, couldn’t create anything and 65 minutes in it was three to the visitors, Lewis Hughes making no mistake from the spot. Despite Broadwell’s efforts Little Stoke’s defence held firm and they were able to see out a 3-0 victory.

To Almondsbury at home to Hanham Athletic and a slow start but it was Sam Burgess clearing well from a Hanham ball over the top. On 37 a massive chance and a massive save Karim Rendall broke through for Hanham one on one and Burgess made a great save. It was mostly Hanham with shots at Burgess and just wide at the back post. A hand ball outside Hanham’s box gave Cam Wilton a chance but Sam Brown made a good save. It was Almonds who took the lead on 68 minutes, a free kick from the corner of the box driven in by Oscar Cox and flicked in by Oakley Dawes. Two minutes later Almonds created two great chances, and two great saves by Brown. First Joe Rossiter with a drive touched over and from the corner Alexander got the shot away and another good save. Hanham equalised in the 90th minute, a scramble in the box and Jacob Saunders shot through a crowd of players for 1-1.

At Pomphrey Hill Bromley Heath United arrived at the game with Frampton United still smarting from last weeks game where they created far more chances than their opponents and dominated possession for spells of the game but just could not convert their chances. But Frampton were obviously going to be very tough opponents, a very good footballing side, sitting in second place in the League.
Bromley started the game well and were rewarded after just 7 minutes when after a melee in the opponents box and a couple of blocked shots, the ball eventually ricocheted into the net off a Frampton defender. Frampton responded well and within a few minutes were unlucky not to equalise when Stuart Maule struck the post with a header. The rest of the first half was well contested with good football being played by both sides but with Bromley creating more chances and Tom Kaye making a couple of very good saves. But Frampton's Manola Espada came close to scoring again when his fierce shot hit the bar.
The second half saw Bromley go further ahead when ten minutes in Jack Withey headed a ball to the feet of Ollie Hanham who converted from a tight angle. Frampton then responded and deservedly grabbed one back when Captain Dom Brown scored. Within ten minutes however Bromley had restored their 2 goal lead when Aiden Noble headed in at the near post from a corner. Pressing hard, Bromley got a 4th goal after a brilliant cross by Cam Ford struck on the half volley was headed in this time on the back post by Noble again. Five minutes from time Frampton pulled one back when Captain Dom Brown slotted home but it was to late to change the game.

2nd February 2024 - Electronic Programmes

Avonmouth v Quedgeley Wanderers

Click on the image to view (External Link)