7th May 2022 -Les James Cup Final Sponsored by Boca Teamwear

Jon Palmer


Little Stoke Les James Cup Winners 2021-22, Images courtesy Neil Brown (Bristol Soccerworld)

Little Stoke 2 Ruardean Hill Rangers 0

Little Stoke retained the Les James League Cup with a deserved 2-0 win over Ruardean Hill Rangers in the final at Stonehouse Town.

They lifted the silverware in 2018/19 with a penalty shoot-out triumph over AEK Boco after a goalless draw and the competition has not been completed for the past two seasons due to Covid.

Their victory this time around was rather more straightforward than three years ago, with a goal in each half from Jack Burgess and Jaidon Holver enough to see off the challenge of Ruardean.

Rangers, who finished five places below their opponents in the final Gloucestershire County League standings, were close to opening the scoring after eight minutes.

Steve Clark’s long-range drive hit the right post after a poor clearance from goalkeeper Connolly Jarrett was almost punished.

But Jarrett was not seriously troubled for the rest of the match as Little Stoke looked the more threatening of the sides in front of a healthy Oldends Lane crowd.

Luke Meacham headed wide from a good position before Jude Scott and Alex Hill both saw shots fly the wrong side of the post as pressure began to mount on Aaron Underwood’s goal.

The deadlock was broken two minutes before half-time when a corner was nodded down into the path of defender Burgess, who applied an expert finish low into the net from 10 yards.

Steve Clark, who has 33 goals to his name this season, nearly broke through on goal early in the second half for Ruardean, but Burgess made an excellent challenge in the 64th minute.

And Holver added the second eight minutes later with a deft flick past Underwood from six yards after a dangerous ball in from the left.

A corner from Steve Clark, which clipped the top of the bar, was the closest Rangers were to reducing the deficit.

Little Stoke were well-organised at the back and restricted them to very few chances, allowing them to celebrate their second Les James Cup success.

Little Stoke: C Jarrett, A Fox, E Moore, J Burgess, N Bailey, L Hughes, J Scott, A Hill, A West, L Meacham, J Holver. Subs: P Kourouma, D Lane, H Moore, J Pugsley, J Bright.

Ruardean Hill Rangers: A Underwood, J Beestone, T Coleman, C Mason, R Tingle, D Matthews, F Jones, H Clark, B Walding, L Johnson, S Clark. Subs: G Ferson, J Sladen, S Tingle, S Cornwell-Boote, B Burke.

Referee: Olly Spender. Assistants: Garry Collier, Adam McAnoy. 4th Official: Sam Myatt.


Little Stoke Captain Alex Fox, recieving the Cup from Rob Boyd of Boca Teamwear, Images courtesy Neil Brown (Bristol Soccerworld)


Match Officials for the Final, Images courtesy Neil Brown (Bristol Soccerworld)

19th March 2022 - Wick progress to the Final


On a gloriously sunny March afternoon in front of a bumper crowd at Wick, with the pitch in fantastic condition, Wick and visitors Little Stoke took to the field to contest the Les James County League cup semi-final. Both teams came out of the blocks with a purpose testing each other across the park. Little Stoke closed down Wick well to deny them space to play their passing game, however Wick took the lead after 12 mins when stalwart Sean Morris rose impressively to meet Ben Harris's well taken corner to head the ball firmly into the Little Stoke net. Wick then settled into their patient passing game carving out another opportunity after 20 mins, but their effort was wide of the post. Within a minute after another fluid move from Wick, Ben Harris was released he then rounded a Little Stoke defender to stroke home his precise shot into the far corner of the Little Stoke net to give Wick a two-goal advantage. Following another Wick attack, Little Stoke stole the ball and broke quickly to open up the Wick defence, however when well placed their final pass was over hit to squander what was a dangerous attacking move. The first half drew to a close with neither side giving an inch in the tackle in what became a fiercely competitive game.

Wick started the second half brightly carving out two chances in the first few minutes. The first falling to Ben Harris and the second to Rob Moore both hitting their shots just wide of the Little Stoke post. On 50 mins Jaiden Holver fashioned Little Stokes first opportunity of the second half creating space to shoot, but pulling his shot just wide. Wick continued to look dangerous and on 60 mins Ben Weaver was set free down the left, however his cross flashed across the Little Stoke goal avoiding everyone to run harmlessly wide. Wick continued to create but lacked that final accuracy to test Little Stokes keeper Reece Shaw, but pressure eventually told and on 75 mins as Ben Weaver drove into the box on the left, his fiercely hit cross found the back of the net off a retreating Little Soke defender to put Wick 3 up. Little Stoke refused to give up and Alex Hill hit a crisp shot from distance passing just wide of the Wick post. On 87 mins Alex Hill again cause Wick some concern when his goal bound flick brought Wick's Jay Powell into action to tip the ball over for a Little Stoke corner. As the clock wound down Ben Weaver surged into the little Stoke box and his shot was well held by Reece Shaw low down to his left. Bang on time Wick's Sam Thomas rose well following a corner to glance his header into the far corner of the Little Stoke net to finish the game 4-0.

26th February 2022 - Ruardean Hill Rangers into League Cup Final

Martin Coleman


A crowd of 163 were in attendance as Ruardean Hill Rangers hosted Forest neighbours Broadwell Amateurs in the first Semi-Final of the Les James League Cup sponsored by Boca Teamwear. With both teams looking to reach the final it was probably inevitable for a slow start to the game with a few half chances from Broadwell that didnt bother Underwood in the Ruardean goal. The first real chance came in the 25 minute when the deadlock was broken when a loose ball bounced to Daniel Matthews just outside the box which he hit very well on the half volley and hit the back of the net making it 1-0 to Ruardean Hill. The rest of the half was quiet and both teams cancelled each other out as Ruardean Hill led going into the break.

The second half started scrappy with an early yellow for Ruardean Hill's centre back Charley Mason. A few moments later, Broadwell thought they had equalised, however Ruardean Hill were relieved to see the flag aloft for offside. Broadwell by now were trying to increase the pressure but the Hill worked hard and restricted Broadwell to only a couple of half chances. The game then got more energetic as both teams began to play with more determination with it being pretty even until league top goal scorer Steve Clark finished off the game as a contest with a goal in the 87th minute from a Shaun Tingle knock down.

27th January 2022 - Les James League Semi-Final Draw

The Semi-Final draw for the Les James League Cup sponsored by Boca Teamwear is as below.

  • Ruardean Hill Rangers v Broadwell Amateurs - 26 February 2022 14:00 KO
  • Wick v Little Stoke - 19 March 2022 14:00 KO

Amendments to league fixtures to accomodate these ties have been sent to clubs and added to Full-Time.

22nd January 2022 - Ten man Wick edge out Shirehampton

Ron Holpin

Today saw the last Quarter Final between Wick and Shirehampton, with the pitch looking fantastic for January after a frosty week, slightly heavy underfoot, Shires captain Matt McCall kicked off their first ever game at the Nest. The game started competitively with both sides looking to take advantage of the perfect surface. Wick had the first chance of the game after 2 minutes when Rob Moore capitalised on a mix up between Gerard Robinson and Adam Thorne, but his shot was well saved by Shire’s keeper, Matt Turner, pushing it past the near post. From the resulting Ben Harris corner, Wick did open the scoring on 3 minutes, when Rob Moore rose the highest to power his header into the Shirehampton net. Over the next 10 minutes, both defences were put under pressure, but no one could find the killer pass to alter the score. Shire had their first attempt of the game after 18 minutes, following their 2nd corner, when Richard Brightwell found Matthew McCall but his header was cleared by Wick’s Sam Thomas. With 15 mins to go, Wick were dominating the midfield, and firing crosses from both flanks, with Joe Thomas going close from the left after cutting in past Shire’s full back Ryan Dunn. 5 minutes later, Sam Thomas collected the ball from Nathan Gore, but his shot was tipped over the bar by Shire’s Turner. Turner was again brought into action, on 40 minutes, when he saved low to his right following a Ben Harris shot from just inside the box. With 3 minutes to go, Shire had sight of goal, when a Brightwell corner was spilt by Wick’s debutant keeper, Jamie Powell, but Shire’s Joseph Harvey was unable to stab the ball into the Wick net while being challenged by Wick’s centre half, James Pocock. Harvey had another half chance with 1 minute to go, but this time Powell saved well low to his left. Shire had very little answers to Wick’s constant possession and grit in the tackle, with Turner making a number of fine saves to keep the score 1-0 at HT.

Wick started the second half in the same fashion as the first, and again after 2 minutes James Pocock header from a Ben a Harris corner flicked past the Shire upright. For the next 10 minutes, both teams were matching each other across the park, with keepers untested. On 58 minutes, Wick went close again, Ben Harris was the provider, from a right sided corner, with Pocock’s header hitting the crossbar after Shire’s Robinson felled to clear from the 6-yard area. Shire’s first opportunity of the half came on 64 minutes when Ryan Nunn’s cross shot straight across Wick’s six-yard area with no-one able to get on the end. On 70 minutes, after a strong challenge on Wick’s Ben Harris, tempers flared and Wick’s Nathan Gore was shown a straight red. Gore was struck in the face by Shires manager and he was given a red card. Wicks Powell was brought into action again after 73 minutes, when he saved well at the feet of Shire’s Joseph Harvey. Wick continued to soak up pressure in the closing 10 minutes, but Shire were unable to use the extra man for their advantage. Harvey continued to run his heart out, but Wick’s defence held firm. The last attempt of the game fell to Shire’s Richard Brightwell, but his cross was well defended by Wick’s Russ Woodford. The game ended 1 - 0 to Wick, with both teams running themselves into the ground.

League Cup Sponsor

The Les James League Cup is sponsored by Boca Teamwear

15th January 2022 - Broadwell Amateurs beat Frampton United on penalties

Ron Holpin

Broadwell Amateurs were drawn against Frampton United for this quarter-final tie. The home side ran out winners from the penalty spot after the final score had finished 1-1 in the 90 minutes. Both sides equalled each other out for a lot of this game and it took until the 35th minute before the first attempt on goal which was a great effort from Ryan Vincent that Watkins in the home goal pushed around the post. On 42 minutes Frampton’s Andy Cox carved out a space for himself to shoot on goal but Watkins was there again to push the shot wide of the goal. On 50 minutes a break down the right by the home side saw Frampton’s keeper Fraser Wilson in action to prevent a goal. Ryan Vincent then struck the crossbar on 70 minutes for the visitors but the ball went out for a goal kick. Just a couple of minutes left and Frampton took the lead when Ryan Vincent chased the ball down the right flank crossed into the box and Manolo Espada powered his header past Watkins. Frampton’s hearts sunk then right on 90 minutes from a Jamie Powell free kick Kristian Burnard rose above everyone to head the equaliser past Wilson in the Frampton goal. In the penalty shootout Broadwell’s keeper Watkins brought off two great saves to see his Club into the Semi-final.

4th December 2021 - Little Stoke progress to semi-finals

Ron Holpin

Little Stoke go into the semi-final with a 3-2 win at home to Gala Wilton. Stoke were 3-0 up by half time. The first effort on goal on 14 minutes came from a through ball by Alex Hill to Ethan Moore whose shot went just wide. On 20 minutes a Jaidon Holver lob from 35 yards also went just wide of the target. Stoke went one up on 30 minutes from a delivery from Alex Hill into the box and a superb overhead kick from Phil Kourouma that hit the inside of the post on its way in. 38 minute saw a second for Stoke, a through ball from Holver saw an error by the Gala keeper Lewis skyers and Aaron West was on hand to tap in. The third for Stoke came a few minutes before the break a cross ball from Kourouma allowed Aaron West to play the ball to Kahlil Lamir to score from just inside the box. Gala hit back with two late goals just a minute apart the first on 81 minutes came from Ben Sluman after a scramble in the box the ball came out and Sluman hit a 25-yard shot home. Just a minute later it was 3-2 when Dan Gayner scored from the penalty spot. The last few minutes was a bit Shakey for the home side but they managed to hold on for the win.

9th October 2021 - Ruardean Hill Rangers into Les James Cup Semi-Final - sponsored by Boca TeamWear

Ron Holpin

Hardwicke entertained Ruardean Hill Rangers in the quarter final of The Les James Cup and were seeking to be the first club to win this on three occasions. On a fine afternoon the initial 25 minutes remained evenly contested. It was the away side who had the first opportunity after 26 minutes when Luke Brown threaded the ball into the path of Steve Clarke but the Hardwicke keeper, Ollie Hall, raced off his line to thwart Clarke. This attack gave Hardwicke some impetus and four minutes later Hardwicke’s Shayne Thorpe chipped the ball to James Ratcliffe but Keeper Arron Underwood raced off his line to prevent Hardwicke taking the lead. Three minutes later Hardwicke should have taken the lead when Will Mathews crossed to Freddie Humphries who’s out stretched leg touched the ball over the crossbar. The game started to come to life after an even half and Ruardean took the lead on 40 minutes; Fin Jones slotted the ball through the Hardwicke defence for Steve Clarke to fire a shot low past the advancing Hall. Hardwicke bounced back within a minute to level the score, Pat Vernal carried the ball from his own half and passed to youngster Ben King whose cross was sweetly headed into the goal by Will Mathews.

The second half started in the same manner as the first half with both sides evenly matched. Hardwicke had a fine opportunity on 60 minutes when a Glen Gittings strode into the Ruardean half and passed to Will Mathews whose powerful drive was tipped onto the bar by Aaron Underwood. With the match looking as though it would be finalised by Penalties Hardwicke’s Scott Eales brought down Clarke in the 88th minute who put Ruardean ahead from the resulting penalty. Hardwicke sought to have another quick equaliser and as they pushed forward lost the ball at the half way line to striker Mike Coleman. Coleman swiftly raced towards the Hardwicke goal with Hall to beat but a fine tackle by Sean Clarke prevented Ruardean from scoring a third.

28th September 2021 - Les James League Cup Second Round Draw

The Second Round draw for the Les James League Cup sponsored by Boca Teamwear is as below.

  • Wick v Shirehampton - 22 January 2022 14:00 KO
  • Broadwell Amateurs v Frampton United - 15 January 2022 14:00 KO
  • Little Stoke v Gala Wilton- 4 December 2021 14:00 KO
  • Hardwicke v Ruardean Hill Rangers - 9 October 2021 15:00 KO

Amendments to league fixtures to accomodate these ties have been sent to clubs and added to Full-Time. As have the postponements for the GFA Trophy ties on the 13th November.

The GFA Trophy ties are available on the county FA site and will be added to Full-Time when the FA complete their work to integrate county cups with leagues

11th September 2021 - Les James Cup Round One - Sponsored by Boca Teamwear

Ron Holpin

A couple of surprises in the first round of the Les James League Cup as Rockleaze Rangers were beaten at home by Hardwicke and Sharpness were held to a 0-0 score line and went out 2-4 on penalties to Ruardean Hill Rangers.

Wick scraped through with a very late goal at Patchway Town. The home side had several early chances but Wicks keeper Ashley Wintle made several saves to deny Phil Vice and Jacob Cox. However, Wick did have the ball in the Patchway net on 26 minutes but it was eventually ruled out for offside. Patchway were unlucky and might have taken the lead but for a great clearance of the line by Ryan Ross from a Jacob Cox shot. The game was a fairly even contest throughout but in the 75th minute Ollie Bacon made a superb clearance off the line from a Mike Hardiman shot on goal. The game looked as though it may have to be decided from the penalty spot as Wick were pushing hard for the winner and in the 93rd minute a free kick sent in by Jordan Yeo was punched away by keeper Burgess but the ball was pumped back in and Ross Woodford headed home.

Broadwell Amateurs march on into the second round with a 3-1 win at home to Quedgeley Wanderers. Liam Thomas gave the home side the lead inside 3 minutes collecting the ball on the right then cutting into the box before driving a low shot just inside the Wanderers post. Thomas was on target again in the 19th minute when a high ball found him free to slip past two defenders and drive the ball in. On 25 minutes Aiden Creighton saw his shot really well saved by Wanderer’s keeper Kieran Derbyshire. Wanderers were limited to just one shot on target in the first 45 minutes a effort from Sean Lawson. Early in the second half Liam Thomas was upended in the box but his penalty kick went straight at keeper Derbyshire who parried the ball but Aiden Creighton was following up and slipped the ball home. Trailing 3-0 Wanderers then had their best spell of the game and in the 70th minute a corner found Daniel Lander free on the far post to volley home.

Rockleaze Rangers suffered their second defeat in row this time going down 2-0 at home to Hardwicke. The home side had an early chance to go ahead but Mike Perham’s shot struck the crossbar in the 13th minute. Hardwicke went ahead in the 31st minute with a goal from Shane Thorp striking the ball past Adams from around 12 yards following a corner. Into the second half and on 61 minutes Adams was in action again to save well from another Forbes strike on goal. At the other end Hardwicke’s Ollie Hall also brought off a great save to deny Marcus Williams. Jordan Dent then missed an open goal which would have seen the score-line change to 1-1 in the 70th minute. Then just 5 minutes later Hardwicke won their place in the second round when Sean Clarke neatly lobbed the ball over keeper Nick Adams.

Gala Wilton are looking forward to the next round after winning by two goals to nil against todays visitors Bromley Heath United. The only real chance was an effort from Sam Webb a header that stuck the cross bar for the home side in the first 45 minutes so 0-0 at the break. Gala broke the deadlock on 52 minutes when a free kick from Sam Webb found Martin Smith to drive his shot under the Bromley keeper. Just a couple of minutes later it was 2-0 a great through ball from Martin Smith found Bradley Loveridge to round a defender before sliding the ball home.

Shirehampton’s Joe Harvey’s hattrick gave them passage into the next round at English Bicknor. It took just 10 minutes for the visitors to open the scoring a corner being headed home by Harvey. Then 5 minutes before the break the home side lost the ball in midfield and Harvey chipped the keeper to make it 2-0. Bicknor lost the ball again in midfield in the 61st minute and a thunderbolt shot from Harvey made it three nil and he completed his hattrick. The home side never gave up and were rewarded for their hard work in the 68th minute when Jordan Heales found Blaine Smith to reduce the score to 3-1. The home side had further chances and struck the crossbar but were unable to find a way through.

Little Stoke cup winner’s a few seasons ago were drawn at home to Hanham Athletic for this first round. Stoke went ahead on 9 minutes from a defence splitting pass to Aaron West to beat the Hanham defence and run clear to lob the ball over the advancing keeper. Both sides had a penalty shout turned down in the first 15 minutes the referee having none of it. Second half saw a good chance for Stoke when a cross into the box by Ethan Moore found John Pugsley clear on goal but his shot was brilliantly saved Sam Brown in the visitor’s goal. A through ball from Aaron West to Lucas Hart was again well saved by Brown. On 75 minutes a delightful run down the flank by Lucas Hart saw his cross over hit but it was laid back to Moore whose shot was well saved by Brown. Stoke made sure of their place in the next round in the 85th minute when Jude Scott’s through ball found Ethan Moore to finish it off.

Henbury’s chance of playing in the second round was scuppered by Frampton United with a 3-1 score-line. A steady opening but Manolo Espada had the first chance for the visitors on 7 minutes but shot wide. Home keeper Theo Hutchinson then saved well from a free kick. Henbury’s Andy Dickinson then saw his shot well saved by the Frampton keeper Aaron Taylor. A break down the right by the home side and a cross in saw Jenson Manning fire wide of the target. 20 minutes saw a Manolo Espada free kick fly high over the Henbury bar. On 28 minutes poor defending by the home side allowed Joe Wilton to run clear to open the scoring for Frampton. At the other end Dickinson’s run down the flank and a good cross found Kane Manning but his shot went well over the bar. Frampton were awarded a penalty 5 minutes before the break and Stuart Maule had the chance to make it 2-0 from the spot, Hutchinson saved the penalty then saved the follow up which struck the crossbar before Frazer Wilson finally got the ball into the Henbury net. A disaster in the 48th minute when both Tyler Burgham-Wilson and keeper Hutchinson getting into a right pickle before the keeper gave away a penalty. Frampton’s Manolo Espada took the penalty and gave the keeper no chance for a 3-0 lead. The home side gave themselves some hope in the 65th minute when a break down the right by Dickinson saw his cross take a deflection and the ball ran through to the unmarked Sam Degg to slip the ball into the net. The home side then rallied and just 2 minutes later Degg had a glorious chance to make it 3-2 but shot wide. Kane Manning then worked his way through but could not get his shot past Taylor. The last chance fell to Frampton but Steve Jackson’s shot struck the upright.

A goalless draw at Sharpness who entertained Ruardean Hill Rangers in this first Round. It seams a tail of missed chances from both sides in the first 45 minutes either failing to hit the target or shots being well saved by the keepers. The second period saw plenty of action from both teams but it was the same old story not being able to get the ball past either keeper or shots being off target. After 90 minutes the game went to penalties to decide the outcome and Ruardean Hill Rangers will be in the next round winning 4-2 on penalties.

5th August 2021 - Les James League Cup First Round Draw

The First Round draw for the Les James League Cup sponsored by Boca Teamwear is as below.

  • Gala Wilton v Bromley Heath United
  • Sharpness v Ruardean Hill Rangers
  • Little Stoke v Hanham Athletic
  • Patchway Town v Wick
  • Rockleaze Rangers v Hardwicke
  • English Bicknor v Shirehampton
  • Broadwell Amateurs v Quedgeley Wanderers
  • Henbury v Frampton United

All games to be played on Saturday 11th September with a 3 PM kick-off

Les James Cup 2021-22

Little Stoke 2 Ruardean Hill Rangers 0
Ruardean Hill Rangers 2 Broadwell Amateurs 0
Wick 4 Little Stoke 0
Round Two
Wick 1 Shirehampton 0
Broadwell Amateurs 1 Frampton United 1 Broadwell Amateurs win 5-4 on penalties
Little Stoke 3 Gala Wilton 2
Hardwicke 1 Ruardean Hill Rangers 2
Round One
Gala Wilton 2 Bromley Heath United 0
Sharpness 0 Ruardean Hill Rangers 0 Ruardean Hill Rangers win 4-2 on penalties
Little Stoke 2 Hanham Athletic 0
Patchway Town 0 Wick 1
Rockleaze Rangers 0 Hardwicke 2
English Bicknor 1 Shirehampton 3
Broadwell Amateurs 3 Quedgeley Wanderers 1
Henbury 1 Frampton United 3

Les James League Cup Honours List

Season Cup Winner Runners up
2020-21 Season Abandoned Competition Unfinished
2019-20 Season Abandoned Competition Unfinished
2018-19 Little Stoke AEK Boco
2017-18 Thornbury Town Frampton United
2016-17 AEK Boco Broadwell Amateurs
2015-16 Hardwicke Rockleaze Rangers
2014-15 Thornbury Town Cheltenham Civil Service
2013-14 Longlevens Rockleaze Rangers
2012-13 Kings Stanley Taverners
2011-12 Cribbs Friends Life Longlevens
2010-11 Henbury Thornbury Town
2009-10 Taverners Kings Stanley
2008-09 Kings Stanley Henbury
2007-08 Hardwicke Ellwood
2006-07 Patchway Town Yate Town Reserves
2005-06 Highridge United Lydney Town
2004-05 Patchway Town Ellwood
2003-04 Patchway Town Tytherington Rocks
2002-03 Henbury Old Boys Roman Glass St. George